PDA

View Full Version : Mindfreak: Brian Xanders has a plan (psychologically speaking)

listopencil
04-20-2011, 10:40 AM
If Brian Xanders has his way, the Denver Broncos are going to draft Nick Fairley.

How do I know this? I'm speculating of course, but after watching all of his interviews five times over this week in an effort to build our wildly popular Brian Xanders Random Quote Generator, new information has come to light, man.

First, let me point out the obvious--the Broncos would like to trade out of the #2 spot. If someone tries to claim that as an original thought or breaking news, flog them. This fact has been widely known for weeks. Xanders himself has said on numerous occasions that his general strategy (which is sound) is to trade down and accumulate picks. So you won't find me claiming that mantle.

What I will claim is that Xanders is not your typical General Manager. As I suggested yesterday, the guy simply has a hard time with public speaking. Moreover, he tends to get slightly animated and nervous, which causes him to search for what he likely perceives are high-quality football buzzwords. Take this quote for example, which is included in the Random Quote Generator:

"We researched their personal character and their football character…we never want the character grade to bleed into the football grade."

Xanders' interviews are ripe with this sort of material. What Xanders wanted to say here in simple terms is that the Broncos initially treat a draft prospect's play on the football field seperately from their potential off-field character issues. In his search for fooball speak, the words fall short.

However, it's during this space and time--in which Xanders is racking his brain for more complex ways of saying simple things--he reveals quite a lot. Whether he does it intentionally or not, I don't know, but it's not germane to the larger point--Xanders gives out clues.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/mindfreak-brian-xanders-has-a-plan

maven
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Huh?

listopencil
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Another interesting article from "It's All Over Fat Man!" The author does make a good point about Xanders, as people who have difficulty with public speaking do give out more info than they want to. I don't think that I am willing to listen to those interviews as often as the author did....but the draft is still a week away.

KipCorrington25
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm convinced Xanders was only retained to act as a patsy so they have someone to fire next year if the tide doesn't turn fast enough.

ICON
04-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Fairely will bust

I too wasn't sold on Dareus, even being an avid d-line fan and watching him for two years. The more Alabama games I study he is growing on me.

Mogulseeker
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Fairely will bust

So will Tebow... when he gets married.

Chris
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
Dareus's numbers aren't as impressive as Fairley because of the positions he played.

SoCalBronco
04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm convinced Xanders was only retained to act as a patsy so they have someone to fire next year if the tide doesn't turn fast enough.

Ofcourse.

And Xanders was more than happy to play along since it would ensure he got another year of NFL paychecks...which probably wouldn't have been offered to him anywhere else.

IMO...Xanders is one bad year away from being a jizz mopper at a gay "health club". Save those paychecks, Brian.

tsiguy96
04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Ofcourse.

And Xanders was more than happy to play along since it would ensure he got another year of NFL paychecks...which probably wouldn't have been offered to him anywhere else.

IMO...Xanders is one bad year away from being a jizz mopper at a gay "health club". Save those paychecks, Brian.

20 years in the league in coaching, film, scouting in both pro and college player eval, as well as contracts makes him more than versatile enough to find a job in the league ;)

i think some people here just hate guys in the FO just to hate them.

SoCalBronco
04-20-2011, 07:41 PM
20 years in the league in coaching, film, scouting in both pro and college player eval, as well as contracts makes him more than versatile enough to find a job in the league ;)

We'll see if he gets a job when he's done here. I'll bet he'll end up with the same "offers" as Sundquist.

KipCorrington25
04-20-2011, 08:37 PM

That and he was McCheat's pathetic little lap dog... :strong:

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Read the whole article.

Not gonna lie, thought it was a great write up and makes me feel more confident about Brian Xanders.

The Joker
04-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I do find it a bit disappointing that he gets slated to such a degree on this forum when it's become so very apparent that he had very little input in terms of final say under the McDaniels regime.

In theory him working alongside Elway should be beneficial for both of them. Elway to deal with the PR side of things while Xanders I'm sure has the deeper knowledge of current players in the league and prospects in the draft. Hopefully they can click as a duo.

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 09:18 PM
I do find it a bit disappointing that he gets slated to such a degree on this forum when it's become so very apparent that he had very little input in terms of final say under the McDaniels regime.

In theory him working alongside Elway should be beneficial for both of them. Elway to deal with the PR side of things while Xanders I'm sure has the deeper knowledge of current players in the league and prospects in the draft. Hopefully they can click as a duo.

When did that become "so very apparent"?

Did I miss something?

In fact, the only things he did publicly during the McDaniels regime were:

1. Rave about how great their working relationship was

2. Slander Shanahan and boast about how "X many players are no longer in the NFL"

Sounds like he was pretty on board with the personnel moves to me... from his own mouth. Of course he backtracked away from the sinking Titanic after it sunk.

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Btw... it takes a LOT of ****ing nerve to sit there and slander the work of a HoF HC and the guy responsible for coaching Denver to it's ONLY two superbowls TO DENVER'S FANS.

...And then after field a 4-12 team.

I'm getting really pissed about Xanders again. How does this fruit have a job?

baja
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Btw... it takes a LOT of ****ing nerve to sit there and slander the work of a HoF HC and the guy responsible for coaching Denver to it's ONLY two superbowls TO DENVER'S FANS.

I have to say that's a pretty great avatar you got there rev.

HAT
04-20-2011, 11:38 PM
We'll see if he gets a job when he's done here. I'll bet he'll end up with the same "offers" as Sundquist.

Xanders will be here as long as Elway is.

Drek
04-21-2011, 04:15 AM

He's Joe Ellis' lapdog.

Ellis orchestrated bringing in McDaniels and promoting Xanders to GM and he was responsible for overseeing the division of power. Does anyone really think that after only being here three weeks McDaniels had the ability to bend Bowlen's ear to the point where he'd let Jim and Jeff Goodman walk after saying that Jim Goodman was going to run the show in a public press conference?

Ellis made it all happen and when he threw McDaniels under the bus after 1.5 seasons his next move was distancing Xanders from McDaniels and the last 1.5 seasons in order to save at least one of his choices and not look like a complete poison to this franchise. Which he is.

Ellis, and Xanders with him, will be out on his ass as soon as Elway and Fox can make it happen.

WolfpackGuy
04-21-2011, 05:10 AM

He's the fastest pizza fetcher in the Mountain time zone...

Requiem
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
This article is more indicative of who the author wants. Fail.

listopencil
04-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Man. I really miss Mock haiku for stories like this. Here's looking at you, Brian.

DomCasual
04-21-2011, 12:26 PM
That blog is great - they always have interesting analysis,

pricejj
04-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Xanders is correct on Fairley. He was the most dominant DLineman in college football this year. Dareus, though nice, friendly, and bigger (not taller), is not the penetrator that Fairley is.

You all know Andre Gurode, I assume. 6'3" 315 lb All-Pro Center Dallas Cowyboys (34" arms, 23 reps 225 at combine) who went to CU. Dareus has almost the exact same measurables as Gurode... except Dareus is a bit faster. Defensive lineman need to have the strength, speed, and skill to get around Offensive lineman. Dareus is built like an All-Pro Center. He is not overtly huge, strong, or fast like Ngata, Raji, or Suh. I don't think Dareus will be a dominant force in the NFL, but he will be solid, and a good guy to start to build a defense around.

Fairley is a bit taller, lighter, and faster... with supreme footwork. The supreme footwork is what sets Fairley apart from Dareus.

Fairley is not overtly huge, but he has the perfect size, speed, and skills for a UT in a 4-3, which is where he will play, if the Broncos draft him.

Fairley proved in college that he was better than Dareus, let him do it in the pro's.

I imagine the Bronco's draftboard looks like this:

1. Dareus
2. Fairley
3. Miller
4. Peterson

I believe John Fox leans towards Dareus because he is conservative, and because Dareus has a good attitude. Dareus is a safer pick. However, I believe the Panthers will select Dareus #1 overall. We will not be able to trade, because I don't think the Bills, or Cincinnati is looking for a QB. Therefore, I think the top five will go like this.

1. Carolina - Dareus
2. Denver - Fairley
3. Buffalo - Miller
4. Cincinnati - Green
5. Arizona - Newton

If we draft Fairley, I hope he learns quickly how to be a PRO (good attitude, work ethic, and desire). The sky is the limit.

listopencil
04-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Great post pricejj. Rep.