PDA

View Full Version : Most eccentric owners in sports

Mogulseeker
04-19-2011, 07:04 PM
I'd like to compile a list of the most eccentric owners in sports, just for fun...

Obviously Ted Turner (Atalanta Braves) and Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks) make the list.

Make your nominations here and your reasoning behind them.

Cool Breeze
04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
How about Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder and the late George Steinbrenner.

Managerial style of ownership that rubs fanbase the wrong way and may hinder the success of their franchises.
Although George may have invented throwing money at the problem.

dsmoot
04-20-2011, 04:42 AM
I'd like to compile a list of the most eccentric owners in sports, just for fun...

Obviously Ted Turner (Atalanta Braves) and Mark Cuban (Dallas Mavericks) make the list.

Make your nominations here and your reasoning behind them.

I think you need to go a little further back in time. I think you picked personalities but not eccentric.

My No.1 pick is Bill Veeck = Cleveland Indians, St.Louis Browns and Chicago White Sox.

Reasons: the little person Eddie Gaedel, exploding scoreboards, baseball shorts, not wealthy but a true promoter, disliked by owners, movable outfield fence, hiring clown Max Patkin as a coach, started Harry Carey singing take me out to the ballgame, disco demolition night, made trades in public for everyone to witness, it goes on and on.

Charley Finley - A's, instituted using a mule as a mascot and would take him anywhere including press rooms after a large feeding - think about it, kelly green and gold unis with white shoes, paid players to grow facial hair at a time when it was taboo, fire saled the team after the championship seasons, was known not to provide replacement bats (frugal) for players, mechanical rabbit that popped out of ground to give balls to umpire, orange baseballs, hired MC Hammer as a teenager to be executive vice president (before he was MC), advocated 3 balls/two strikes, night games, DH, designated runner before some were introduced.

bowtown
04-20-2011, 05:15 AM
Al Davis

broncoblue
04-20-2011, 06:33 AM
apart from the truth in the above post by bowtown ,i nominate the new owners of my soccer team...the venkys from india(like kfc apperently) they are the most delusional owners in any sport and if they carry on king al davis will lose his crown.

broncogary
04-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Bud Adams has always been one of the biggest crackpots among NFL owners.