PDA

View Full Version : Conference call regarding the draft with EFX

CEH
04-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Tomorrow Wed 4/20/2011 at 1:00 pm I've been invited to sit in on a conference call with Elway and Xanders to discuss the upcoming draft

If you would like me to try and ask a legimate draft question please post your questions here

I'm thinking BPA vs need will be on the agenda

The audience is made up of season ticket holders. Other than the time, I do not have any more details on how the discussion will be conducted or how they planned to take questions

*Being the Mane I will siff through and filter out the stupid responses

R8R H8R
04-19-2011, 01:59 PM
Tomorrow Wed 4/20/2011 at 1:00 pm I've been invited to sit in on a conference call with Elway and Xanders to discuss the upcoming draft

If you would like me to try and ask a legimate draft question please post your questions here

The audience is made up of season ticket holders. Other than the time, I do not have any more details on how the discussion will be conducted or how they planned to take questions

While I don"t expect them to give you anything but a canned answer, what the hell...here it goes:

"How realistic would it be that the Broncos will trade back a couple of spots and get an extra pick or two?"

Chris
04-19-2011, 02:03 PM
How do you weigh picking for need vs. BPA? Does it vary by round?

Shananahan
04-19-2011, 02:04 PM
"Who are you going to draft?"

peacepipe
04-19-2011, 02:05 PM

just because you have a need at a given position doesn't mean they are worth taking at #2. for the money they'll likely spend it would be better to take the BPA.

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2011, 02:10 PM
"How willing would they be to participate in a trade involving 2012 draft picks, given the uncertainty around the CBA and potential of there not being a 2012 draft?"

Cool Breeze
04-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Is the ex-Raiderette as hot as she looks?

Jetmeck
04-19-2011, 02:32 PM

gawdammit....pictures please ??????

TheReverend
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM

^

I would definitely like to know how THEY view this question.

HILife
04-19-2011, 02:35 PM

pics please

HILife
04-19-2011, 02:36 PM
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Garcia Bronco
04-19-2011, 02:47 PM

Paige Green...google it

pricejj
04-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Knowing that a penetrating, impact DT is far more important in a 4-3 (than an SLB, or a CB), ask them if predraft hype will affect who they select. Nick Fairley (56 tackes, 12 sacks) was clearly the best DLineman in the country this year, but has had a lot of negative predraft hype. Marcell Dareus (33 tackles, 4.5 sacks) was good in college, but not dominant, and has received plenty of positive predraft hype, causing him to rise to the top of mock drafts.

Hoping the Broncos pick Fairley.

Chris
04-19-2011, 02:53 PM
just because you have a need at a given position doesn't mean they are worth taking at #2. for the money they'll likely spend it would be better to take the BPA.

Thanks John.

Cool Breeze
04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/d2b08488c8d84f083212ecd622da326c.jpg

NFLBRONCO
04-19-2011, 03:12 PM

BPA imo is best route to go when drafting but, will no FA before draft force you to draft for need more.

underrated29
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Would it be wise if I were to move to south carolina with my girlfriend and her kid? If not, what if I said she had a waitress job already locked up?

Broncoman13
04-19-2011, 03:22 PM
What are they planning in terms of compensation for the 2nd pick or any pick in the first round? Do they foresee a rookie wage scale being in place or are they planning on having to pay the exuberant salaries that have been in place for the past several years?

oubronco
04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Do they have a plan in place to get impact players when free agency begins and does the plan evolve around the draft

Tombstone RJ
04-19-2011, 03:29 PM
"Are you seriously considering drafting a QB this year, if your answer is yes, can you please explain why, and not sugar coat it with a lot of mumbo jumbo about how 'we are always looking to upgrade our talent' crap."

stick a question like this right in their face and make them talk.

HILife
04-19-2011, 03:33 PM

Not sure what to think. She's pretty, but also borderline over buff. Maybe I need to see another pic. Keep them coming.

Edit: Who am I kidding? I'd hit it regardless. My standards aren't that high.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Whar is mah pizza, Brian?

Chris
04-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Sharp knees.

"John, how many times could your wife hit the 225?"

elsid13
04-19-2011, 04:09 PM
How do you balance short term team needs (DT) vs long term potential (QB)? And how long do you believe you need to give a player before it time to move on?

Boobs McGee
04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Not sure what to think. She's pretty, but also borderline over buff. Maybe I need to see another pic. Keep them coming.

Edit: Who am I kidding? I'd hit it regardless. My standards aren't that high.

http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/john-elway-and-actress-paige-green.jpg

http://procheerleaderblog.com/blog/images/2008/Sep/paigeraiderettes.jpg

http://procheerleaderblog.com/blog/images/2008/Sep/paigejohn.jpg

HAT
04-19-2011, 04:31 PM
Would it be wise if I were to move to south carolina with my girlfriend and her kid? If not, what if I said she had a waitress job already locked up?

Hilarious!:yayaya:ROFL!^5:strong:

serious hops
04-19-2011, 04:32 PM
"Are you guys going to **** this up like we usually do?"

Okay, okay. . .

"What's the number one red flag that takes points away from your grade on a player?"

"How much value do you place on schematic versatility when making high picks?"

"How do you determine the value of players at positions that don't generate a lot of stats, like offensive and defensive tackle?"

LRtagger
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
"Who would you rather have...Suh or Revis?"

ICON
04-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Do you think the Broncos have any needs on the O-Line, and if so, do you have any thoughts as to where they will go to fill them?

How much tape do you watch, on average, per week this time of year?

How much of our D-line problems have been talent and how much scheme?

What Holes on the Broncos Roster Will Have to Be Left for Free Agency?

tsiguy96
04-19-2011, 05:06 PM
how does von miller fit into a 4-3 ideally?

missingnumber7
04-19-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm interested to see what its going to be like. I'm excited to listen in as well...but me thinks its going to be a presser essentially.

Cool Breeze
04-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Would you let your kids watch Ghostbusters?

ICON
04-20-2011, 10:27 AM
"Are you guys going to **** this up like we usually do?"

Okay, okay. . .

"What's the number one red flag that takes points away from your grade on a player?"

"How much value do you place on schematic versatility when making high picks?"

"How do you determine the value of players at positions that don't generate a lot of stats, like offensive and defensive tackle?"nice I vote for "How much value do you place on schematic versatility when making high picks?"

Quoydogs
04-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Pictures ??/ These new phones shoot video in 720P .

BMarsh615
04-20-2011, 10:34 AM

That has been asked a million times already. And the answer has been BPA at a position of need.

Quoydogs
04-20-2011, 10:34 AM
How does Doom fit into the plans of going to a 4-3

Say you weren't sold on Tebow. Do you think you would look at something this year or wait for Luck.

What are the chance of you John coming back on the field for the last 2 minutes of the game.

BroncoLifer
04-20-2011, 10:37 AM
If you were GM back in 2001, would YOU have taken Ed Reed?

Old Dude
04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Ask Elway to list the main character traits of the players he most hated playing against.

Chris
04-20-2011, 11:34 AM
That has been asked a million times already. And the answer has been BPA at a position of need.

BPA at a position of need is pretty much the same as drafting for need. Regardless I'm more interested in how this approach changes for our management based on round.

underrated29
04-20-2011, 12:00 PM
How do you see knowshon in the ZBS? Will the scheme fit him, how about a fullback to actually clear a path?

Rabb
04-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Xanders just sucks at speaking...wow

theAPAOps5
04-20-2011, 12:07 PM
NOTE FOR SCANNING PURPOSES: IGNORE FOR REAL QUESTION PURPOSES

Have you remolded the meetings room yet, they are a little dated.

Rabb
04-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Hahahaha Elway just answered a question from someone asking if we planned on drafting a QB

Elway said "well we have Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow and....."

he's Brady Quinn John, we all wish we could forget too

mwill07
04-20-2011, 12:25 PM
This question is for mr. Elway... remember that time agaist seattle where there was a blitz coming from your blind side, and without looking you spun around and made the defender miss? And then, you threw the ball like 65 yards down the field for a touchdown? That was awesome.

Beantown Bronco
04-20-2011, 12:37 PM
It would be funny if he responded: I'm sorry, but that's two questions.

CEH
04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
7,000 listeners and I was the last question of the day

Question:

Even with possibly the best CB in the league, our run defense has been ranked 25th or lower the last 4 -5 years so for a turnover driven defense would you prefer 2 top DEs who rush the passer over 2 top CBs with a moderate pass rush and for John, list the main character traits of the players he most hated playing against from the front seven. I know you were not scare of DBs who could not catch a cold

Answer:

John did say pass rush is the best way to generate turnovers. Create pressure any way they can. Push up the middle is really important
He hated having ppl in his face so just two DEs could be minimized if you don't have the middle push. Confident Fox and Allen can generate pressure this year from all over the field. Because of no FA they plan on going BPA regardless of position and fill in with FA later when it becomes available

Character traits: Guys that were relentless and talented and played for 4 qtrs

For all the draft nicks, John thinks the TE position is very important for our offense and threw our Rudolph and Kenricks as that type of TEs for our offense

Both had good thinks to say about Peterson and Darius. I can't remember Miller or Fairley or Bowers coming up in discussions

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Question:

Even with possibly the best CB in the league, our run defense has been ranked 25th or lower the last 4 -5 years so for a turnover driven defense would you prefer 2 top DEs who rush the passer over 2 top CBs with a moderate pass rush and for John, list the main character traits of the players he most hated playing against from the front seven. I know you were not scare of DBs who could not catch a cold

Answer:

John did say pass rush is the best way to generate turnovers. Create pressure any way they can. Push up the middle is really important
He hated having ppl in his face so just two DEs could be minimized if you don't have the middle push. Confident Fox and Allen can generate pressure this year from all over the field. Because of no FA they plan on going BPA regardless of position and fill in with FA later when it becomes available

:sunshine:

missingnumber7
04-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Question:

Answer:

For all the draft nicks, John thinks the TE position is very important for our offense and threw our Rudolph and Kenricks as that type of TEs for our offense

Both had good thinks to say about Peterson and Darius. I can't remember Miller or Fairley or Bowers coming up in discussions

He talked about Miller earlier, but just because the person asking used them as an example. Was big on fixing the D, and making the game exciting. They also pushed the fact that Fox had lots of success with building/rebuilding Defenses into quality systems. Was funny listening, would have been even more interesting to watch their reactions to questions, and the phone issues.

Missouribronc
04-20-2011, 01:29 PM

Thank God.

We can't have players that don't know the rules.

http://susanshan.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/donovan-mcnabb.jpg

CEH
04-20-2011, 01:33 PM
:sunshine:

My gut right now tells me it's Peterson at #2.

Drunk Monkey
04-20-2011, 01:38 PM

I hope your gut is very wrong. The reasons why have been debated to death. I am pro dline.

orange crusher
04-20-2011, 01:41 PM

I didn't get that feeling at all. When they talked about BPA earlier in the questions they said that it also had to be a position a need also. I wouldn't rank CB as a top 5 position of need for this team. Also, regarding your question about whether they would prefer two top DE's or two top CB's, he immediately began talking about the middle of the DLine being just as important. Given what we have there now, I think it is by far the biggest need and I'd also put DE, MLB, OLB & S ahead of CB on the needs list for the defensive side of the ball.

They also talked about a good pass rush being the best pass defense.

NFLBRONCO
04-20-2011, 01:46 PM

TY Chris

Even though my gut says Miller :)

schaaf
04-20-2011, 01:48 PM

My gut is telling me its Miller

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 01:53 PM

It's the smartest and biggest impact play, imo.

He still has to get past Carolina though. I, for the life of me, canNOT believe they're stupid enough to take Newton, and they've been setting interviews with the "lower tier" (the better tier, imo) of Ponder, Mallet and Kaepernick.

missingnumber7
04-20-2011, 01:56 PM

He still has to get past Carolina though. I, for the life of me, canNOT believe they're stupid enough to take Newton, and they've been setting interviews with the "lower tier" (the better tier, imo) of Ponder, Mallet and Kaepernick.

I like Peterson at 2 with Bailey and Dawk around it can only help to groom him.

NFLBRONCO
04-20-2011, 02:01 PM

Yep even though I'm losing confidence in us drafting Peterson.

We'll see if FO will draft him because Peterson is the least talked about of the top 3.

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 02:02 PM
I like Peterson at 2 with Bailey and Dawk around it can only help to groom him.

You wanna talk about COMPLETELY discouraging opposing OC's from going with a spread? Check out the potential dime set up:

Champ
Peterson
Goodman
Cox
McBath
Hill

There isn't a team in the league with a favorable match up on paper there. Rushing with Elvis, Vickerson, Ayers (shifted inside on passing downs, I'd assume) and Hunter would fit JUST fine.

CEH
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
I didn't get that feeling at all. When they talked about BPA earlier in the questions they said that it also had to be a position a need also. I wouldn't rank CB as a top 5 position of need for this team. Also, regarding your question about whether they would prefer two top DE's or two top CB's, he immediately began talking about the middle of the DLine being just as important. Given what we have there now, I think it is by far the biggest need and I'd also put DE, MLB, OLB & S ahead of CB on the needs list for the defensive side of the ball.

They also talked about a good pass rush being the best pass defense.

Gut feeling doesn't involve rational thoughts. You provided the logic but I just have a feeling their desire for a "10 year starter at #2" will trump need and at the end of the day Peterson will be #1 on their board

At 2 is will be Peterson, Miller or Darius which is OK by me

oubronco
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I think they will make a play for DE Johnson from Carolina when free agency begins so Dareus, Peterson, or Miller would he fine with me along with LB and DT or S in the second. Does anyone know if there is any good fa safeties

orange crusher
04-20-2011, 03:13 PM
Gut feeling doesn't involve rational thoughts. You provided the logic but I just have a feeling their desire for a "10 year starter at #2" will trump need and at the end of the day Peterson will be #1 on their board

At 2 is will be Peterson, Miller or Darius which is OK by me

You don't think Dareus can be a 10 year starter?

Chris
04-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Miller or Dareus at 2... either of those two (whoever's left) or Fairley at 5+

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 04:00 PM
I think they will make a play for DE Johnson from Carolina when free agency begins so Dareus, Peterson, or Miller would he fine with me along with LB and DT or S in the second. Does anyone know if there is any good fa safeties

Shanahan already swooped up OJ Atogwe.

Bob Sanders is still available, I believe, but I think the play will be for Roman Harper considering the depth of experience our new DC has with him.

You don't think Dareus can be a 10 year starter?

Well... he was a ONE year starter in college, sooooooooooo

Chris
04-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Bob Sanders got signed by the Chuggers unfortunately.

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Bob Sanders got signed by the Chuggers unfortunately.

This is the last I heard:

"The team posted a story on its Web site saying it had signed the former Indianapolis Colts safety, but Chargers spokesman Bill Johnston said that report was premature and no announcement was planned Thursday night.

The person with knowledge of the deal said it wasn't clear when Sanders actually can sign a contract because of the status of labor talks. The NFL and its players' union decided Thursday to keep the current collective bargaining agreement in place for an additional 24 hours so negotiations can continue.

Once Sanders does sign, the Chargers hope"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81e9964c/article/report-excolt-sanders-agrees-to-oneyear-chargers-deal?module=HP_headlines

As far as I know, he isn't officially signed with them and is still a FA.

Dedhed
04-20-2011, 05:13 PM

Is that Einhorn or Finkel?

epicSocialism4tw
04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
"John...what's your take on Ghostbusters?"

epicSocialism4tw
04-20-2011, 05:43 PM
Miller or Dareus at 2... either of those two (whoever's left) or Fairley at 5+

That's what I'd like to see.

ICON
04-20-2011, 06:19 PM

Not sure if this list is up to date?

Safeties:

Quintin Mikell (PHI) – It looks like the Eagles will be set at safety if they can re-sign Quintin Mikell at strong safety next to rookie Nate Allen at free safety. Mikell hasn’t been as impressive this season as last, but is still one of the league’s better starting strong safeties. The Eagles secondary has struggled this year and will look to bring back one of their most consistent pieces in the back end.

Roman Harper (NO) – The Saints feel they have something going in the secondary and their top 10 defense reflects just that. The entire defense was snubbed from the Pro Bowl, but the tandem of Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper at safety is about as good as it gets. Jenkins, a converted corner, has developed into a fine coverage safety, while Roman Harper is a great hitter and tough in run support. Aside from reinvesting in their offensive line, Harper will be one of the team’s highest priorities this season.

Eric Weddle (SD) – Though Weddle hasn’t made too many impact plays this season, he’s been a great emerging player for them in the secondary. He’s a well-rounded player—which stems back from his days at Utah—who can play both the run and pass effectively. The Chargers have several expiring contracts, primarily on offense, but re-signing Weddle defensively seems like a solid logical bet.

Dawan Landry (BAL) – Dawan Landry is having a bounce back season after a pair of disappointing ones in coverage. The Ravens had high expectations following a superb rookie season, but had been beaten over the top too often the next two years. Though he hasn’t made as many impact plays as his rookie year, or even last season, Landry has been far more consistent and is building off of his career high in tackles.

Tanard Jackson (TB) – Jackson is an impressive young safety on the football field and figured to be a difference maker for the Buccaneers early this season. However, after the 2nd game, he was suspended indefinitely for his 3rd violation of the league’s substance abuse policy. The Buccaneers are standing behind him, but it comes as a big disappointment. He won’t be eligible to be reinstated until September 22, 2011, making him a big gamble for whoever looks to retain his services.

Bernard Pollard (HOU) – The Texans had reason to be ecstatic over their free agent signing of 2009, who immensely improved the team’s run defense. This year has brought a different tune and shown why Pollard was cut from the Chiefs last year to begin with. While he’s still strong in run support, he’s been victimized more than any other Texan for touchdowns this season. His lousy pass defense is further accentuated by poor cornerback play. Pollard is a marginal safety, but can be a decent fill-in for a team with an already strong secondary, something the Texans cannot claim to have.

Atari Bigby (GB) – Bigby has plenty of potential as a safety, but also embodies the definition of injury-prone. Rookie Morgan Burnett was playing well before his season-ending injury and Charlie Peprah has been more than adequate as his replacement. Peprah’s also a free agent, but should be a cheaper alternative to the hard-hitting Bigby.

Wes Mantooth
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
You wanna talk about COMPLETELY discouraging opposing OC's from going with a spread? Check out the potential dime set up:

Champ
Peterson
Goodman
Cox
McBath
Hill

There isn't a team in the league with a favorable match up on paper there. Rushing with Elvis, Vickerson, Ayers (shifted inside on passing downs, I'd assume) and Hunter would fit JUST fine.

HB Delay right up the gut for 15.

tsiguy96
04-20-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.chargers.com/news/article-1/Chargers-sign-Sanders/b45d03df-4b80-4fe3-9070-867f7c5820b9

McDman
04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
HB Delay right up the gut for 15.

This.

We literally may have the worst defensive tackles in the history of the league right now. Why we wouldn't address that is beyond me. We can't afford to wait until the second round to get a DT and we can't afford to give up our limited amount of picks to trade any further up into the first round.

oubronco
04-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Not sure if this list is up to date?

Safeties:

Quintin Mikell (PHI) – It looks like the Eagles will be set at safety if they can re-sign Quintin Mikell at strong safety next to rookie Nate Allen at free safety. Mikell hasn’t been as impressive this season as last, but is still one of the league’s better starting strong safeties. The Eagles secondary has struggled this year and will look to bring back one of their most consistent pieces in the back end.

Roman Harper (NO) – The Saints feel they have something going in the secondary and their top 10 defense reflects just that. The entire defense was snubbed from the Pro Bowl, but the tandem of Malcolm Jenkins and Roman Harper at safety is about as good as it gets. Jenkins, a converted corner, has developed into a fine coverage safety, while Roman Harper is a great hitter and tough in run support. Aside from reinvesting in their offensive line, Harper will be one of the team’s highest priorities this season.

Eric Weddle (SD) – Though Weddle hasn’t made too many impact plays this season, he’s been a great emerging player for them in the secondary. He’s a well-rounded player—which stems back from his days at Utah—who can play both the run and pass effectively. The Chargers have several expiring contracts, primarily on offense, but re-signing Weddle defensively seems like a solid logical bet.

Dawan Landry (BAL) – Dawan Landry is having a bounce back season after a pair of disappointing ones in coverage. The Ravens had high expectations following a superb rookie season, but had been beaten over the top too often the next two years. Though he hasn’t made as many impact plays as his rookie year, or even last season, Landry has been far more consistent and is building off of his career high in tackles.

Tanard Jackson (TB) – Jackson is an impressive young safety on the football field and figured to be a difference maker for the Buccaneers early this season. However, after the 2nd game, he was suspended indefinitely for his 3rd violation of the league’s substance abuse policy. The Buccaneers are standing behind him, but it comes as a big disappointment. He won’t be eligible to be reinstated until September 22, 2011, making him a big gamble for whoever looks to retain his services.

Bernard Pollard (HOU) – The Texans had reason to be ecstatic over their free agent signing of 2009, who immensely improved the team’s run defense. This year has brought a different tune and shown why Pollard was cut from the Chiefs last year to begin with. While he’s still strong in run support, he’s been victimized more than any other Texan for touchdowns this season. His lousy pass defense is further accentuated by poor cornerback play. Pollard is a marginal safety, but can be a decent fill-in for a team with an already strong secondary, something the Texans cannot claim to have.

Atari Bigby (GB) – Bigby has plenty of potential as a safety, but also embodies the definition of injury-prone. Rookie Morgan Burnett was playing well before his season-ending injury and Charlie Peprah has been more than adequate as his replacement. Peprah’s also a free agent, but should be a cheaper alternative to the hard-hitting Bigby.

Thanks ICON! Jackson, Landry, or Mikell would be nice, hell even Weddle would be an upgrade for us

Wes Mantooth
04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
This.

We literally may have the worst defensive tackles in the history of the league right now. Why we wouldn't address that is beyond me. We can't afford to wait until the second round to get a DT and we can't afford to give up our limited amount of picks to trade any further up into the first round.

Exactly. Don't take a chance on your weakest position. Go for need.

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 08:49 PM
This.

We literally may have the worst defensive tackles in the history of the league right now.

http://www.newmisc.com/images/bananabertxvx.gif

Why we wouldn't address that is beyond me. We can't afford to wait until the second round to get a DT and we can't afford to give up our limited amount of picks to trade any further up into the first round.

Goddamn I hope Elway isn't this dim.