PDA

View Full Version : Tebow rises in the jersey standings

Bronco Rob
04-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Tebow rises in the jersey standings

Tim Tebow may not be a full-time starter yet for the Denver Broncos, but he's the team's star for jersey sales.

The young quarterback ranks fifth in sales of National Football League player jerseys at NFLShop.com over the year ending March 31.

Early last November, before ever having started a game, then-rookie Tebow placed 10th for jersey popularity.

With NFL players locked out in a labor dispute and league operations shut down, Tebow is No. 2 in the Broncos depth chart behind Kyle Orton, at least for now.

Yet the former University of Florida star is the only Bronco in the NFL's top 20 for jersey sales.

In the latest ranking, Tebow is ahead of such proven star signal callers as the New England Patriots' Tom Brady, the Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger and the San Diego Chargers' Philip Rivers.

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu (one of just two non-quarterbacks in the top 20) tops the latest jersey-sales list, followed by Aaron Rodgers of the Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers (and the MVP of Super Bowl XLV), Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints, and Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts.

As for team merchandise sold at NFLShop.com, the Broncos don't figure in the top 10. The top three were the Packers, Steelers and Dallas Cowboys

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/blog/broadway_17th/2011/04/broncos-tebow-rises-in-the-jersey.html

jmz313
04-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Shame on New Englanders not buying a new Brady jersey every single season.

Pick Six
04-19-2011, 05:58 AM
I'd hate for Fox to make a QB decision based on jersey sales, but reality tells me that's exactly what will happen...:ouwknow:

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
I'd hate for Fox to make a QB decision based on jersey sales, but reality tells me that's exactly what will happen...:ouwknow:

i think it needs to happen for at least a year. if it works out and Tebow is a stud then no harm done, but if Tebow fails, this team will go something like 4-12 again and we will be in position to get Luck next season.

if we do end up looking at a QB next season, that means Tebow failed and the Tebow fanatics no longer have reason to be pissed that he isn't in the teams long term plans.

Man-Goblin
04-19-2011, 06:48 AM
i think it needs to happen for at least a year. if it works out and Tebow is a stud then no harm done, but if Tebow fails, this team will go something like 4-12 again and we will be in position to get Luck next season.

if we do end up looking at a QB next season, that means Tebow failed and the Tebow fanatics no longer have reason to be pissed that he isn't in the teams long term plans.

100% agree. We know what Orton is. Tebow should get a year to either succeed or fail.

TailgateNut
04-19-2011, 07:16 AM

Kinda scary that so many have jumped on the wagon. Wonder how consumer reports would rate that product (not the jersey).;)

TheReverend
04-19-2011, 08:35 AM
Kinda scary that so many have jumped on the wagon. Wonder how consumer reports would rate that product (not the jersey).;)

Probably like this: Family friendly, exciting to watch, improved unit production and team success when used.

jhns
04-19-2011, 08:42 AM
How did he rise if he ended fifth? Didn't they report that he was the top selling jersey during the season? Maybe I am not rememdering it correctly.

uk bronco
04-19-2011, 08:44 AM
Tebow needs to get his shot this year. I'd like him to be the starter from game 1. If he sucks and we lose we get a shot at drafting Luck next year if he suceeds we are set at qb for the next decade

Beantown Bronco
04-19-2011, 08:45 AM
How did he rise if he ended fifth? Didn't they report that he was the top selling jersey during the season? Maybe I am not rememdering it correctly.

I believe it was #1 over the summer/in the preseason, then dropped to 10th during the season (November - according to the linked article), then back up to #5 after the season.

TailgateNut
04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Probably like this: Family friendly, exciting to watch, improved unit production and team success when used.

More like: Not enough testing info to form an opinion!

TheReverend
04-19-2011, 09:17 AM

That's fair. I'd change opinion to "know" though. He showed enough for opinion, but certainly not a known commodity.

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
with all of Elway's talk of reconnecting with the fans, it would be a poor choice to not give Tebow a shot and draft a replacement before he has seen action in games where the season isn't already lost.

fan morale has dropped drastically the last decade, and a large portion of the fanbase has jumped onto Tebow's bandwagon. because of that the team may be in no choice but to play him and see if he has anything while preparing contingency plans in case he fails.

broncocalijohn
04-19-2011, 12:15 PM

oh boy! And you havent formed an opinion on him yet? Is it him or the Tebowites around you and the city/country that chaps your hide?

baja
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Where's Jay Cutler on the list?

baja
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
What about Hillis?

baja
04-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Brandon Marshall?

jhns
04-19-2011, 12:33 PM

It doesn't give the list so how would we know? Are you going to post something relevant in this thread or continue not making sense? You can't possibly be trying to make a point.

Anyways, I have all of the jerseys you mentioned. I have two Cultler jerseys. You want to know the top two selling jerseys for the 2009 season? Favre and Cutler.

I found a the top 20 list since i didn't find a link in the original article. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f410f2/article/polamalu-packers-top-nfl-jersey-merchandise-sales-lists

TDmvp
04-19-2011, 12:49 PM

You should change your avatar to this and maybe your nickname to ROBOSTIR

http://dg.kscs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/robo-stir.jpg
http://www.furnicraft.info/wp-content/uploads/Stirr-Automatic.jpg

The Robo stir automatic pot stirrer ... Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!Hilarious!

TailgateNut
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
oh boy! And you havent formed an opinion on him yet? Is it him or the Tebowites around you and the city/country that chaps your hide?

One doesn't need to have data to have the opinion that I have, which is that he has yet to do ANYTHING to warrant the idol status he has been receiving since draft day from the Tebownites!

Quite a difference from those who have already annointed him the next savior.

TDmvp
04-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Hated the pick and the coach that chose to pick him , but the kid is so hard to dislike he has grown on me and hope he pans out.

I don't watch much college ball and had grown sick of the Tebow hype in college and that gave me ammo not to like him at first but after you watch the guy and listen to him he's about impossible to hate. Still not sure the skill set will transfer to a nfl style , but i'm willing to blow a year to find out...

Help us Tebow Wan Kenobi , you're our only hope :)

jhns
04-19-2011, 01:05 PM
One doesn't need to have data to have the opinion that I have, which is that he has yet to do ANYTHING to warrant the idol status he has been receiving since draft day from the Tebownites!

Aww, the poor lite girl is jealous of all the attention Tebow is getting. How cute!

Jay3
04-19-2011, 01:23 PM

It's because they believe he will be a great player, and like to feel connected to that. He's not just popular for the "intangibles." He's popular because he gets it done and gets it done with heart.

It will all be clearer over the next couple of years what the fanboys like me saw. And you'll be left wondering why your ability to to spot talent is so full of fail. But you'll jump on board like everybody else, eventually. It all works out the same, in the end -- everybody ends up a Tebow fan, just some of us live out our lives with the sting of knowing we couldn't spot it when it was right under our nose. :yayaya:

UberBroncoMan
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
What about Hillis?

He's biding his time. He'll take care of it after Madden.

Hogan11
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM

Except they'll argue quite loudly that one year wasn't enough to see what the team has in him.....and one year will turn to two and two will turn to five, etc.

Only a fail on the scale of a JM Russell over multiple seasons will make any selection of a QB in the next few drafts anywhere close to being acceptable.

TailgateNut
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
It's because they believe he will be a great player, and like to feel connected to that. He's not just popular for the "intangibles." He's popular because he gets it done and gets it done with heart.

It will all be clearer over the next couple of years what the fanboys like me saw. And you'll be left wondering why your ability to to spot talent is so full of fail. But you'll jump on board like everybody else, eventually. It all works out the same, in the end -- everybody ends up a Tebow fan, just some of us live out our lives with the sting of knowing we couldn't spot it when it was right under our nose. :yayaya:

You must have been born with two elbows on one arm. How else could you be so proficient at patting yourself on the back.

MacGruder
04-19-2011, 06:58 PM

So then what if Luck comes in and goes 4 of 12 too? Are you going to bench him?

orange crusher
04-20-2011, 01:47 AM
What about Hillis?

What about B. Quinn?

orange crusher
04-20-2011, 01:52 AM

Not much different than when Elway was traded to Denver. He was treated as a rock star from the day the trade was made - before he had stepped on an NFL field. Nothing wrong with having hope, it beats being a hater.

OABB
04-20-2011, 09:56 AM
I hope fox makes a qb decision based on points scored. that would be smart.