PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos' best move might be to deal No. 2 pick

Bronco Rob
04-19-2011, 05:55 AM
Denver Broncos' best move might be to deal No. 2 pick

Moving down in the NFL Draft is sometimes the best way to move forward.

Teams like the New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles have made a habit of trading down, stockpiling picks and creating depth that has helped them remain consistent contenders. The Patriots are sitting pretty in this year’s draft, holding four of the top 60 picks — 17, 28, 33, 60 — despite coming off another playoff season.

Because of the league’s unstable labor situation, we may see fewer trades than usual in this year’s draft (April 28-30). However, here are five teams that could trade down in the first round, looking to add a pick or two later in the draft.

Denver Broncos (No. 2 pick)

Why trading down makes sense: With Kyle Orton, Tim Tebow and Brady Quinn, the Broncos are not as desperate for a quarterback as many teams picking later. If the Panthers don’t pick quarterback Cam Newton at No. 1, perhaps teams like the Bills (No. 3), Bengals (No. 4), Cardinals (No. 5), Titans (No. 8) or Redskins (No. 10) would be interested in swapping picks, offering Denver an enticing package for the chance to pick Newton. If the Broncos stay in the top eight picks, they could still be in position to get one of the draft’s top defensive players like Marcell Dareus, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn or Nick Fairley.

Odds they will move down: Slim. If there is no rookie wage scale, the No. 2 pick will be still be extremely expensive to sign, especially a quarterback. And if the Panthers take Newton, the Broncos will have a harder time finding a trade partner.

“It’s hard to move down, because we don’t know what the collective bargaining agreement is,” said Michael Lombardi, NFL Network analyst.

“If it stays status quo, and we operate under 2010 rules, I think you’ll have a very difficult time getting any team to want to trade into the top nine or 10 picks. Financially it’s not just worth it. When you get into the teens, those trades will become a lot easier because the money is pretty much closer to the value of the player.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-01/2011-nfl-draft/story/denver-broncos-best-move-might-be-to-deal-no-2-pick

BroncoInferno
04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Odds they will move down: Slim. If there is no rookie wage scale, the No. 2 pick will be still be extremely expensive to sign, especially a quarterback. And if the Panthers take Newton, the Broncos will have a harder time finding a trade partner.

“It’s hard to move down, because we don’t know what the collective bargaining agreement is,” said Michael Lombardi, NFL Network analyst.

“If it stays status quo, and we operate under 2010 rules, I think you’ll have a very difficult time getting any team to want to trade into the top nine or 10 picks. Financially it’s not just worth it. When you get into the teens, those trades will become a lot easier because the money is pretty much closer to the value of the player.”

Well, one of the few thing both the owners and NFLPA agree on is the need for a rookie cap, so it's pretty much a slam dunk that the new CBA will include one. The question is, will teams operate under the assumption that there will be a cap, or will they play it safe 'just in case?' If the latter, it probably will be next to impossible to move the pick.

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2011, 07:26 AM
i love how it is always posed that trading draft picks is something easy to do in the NFL.

CBA or not, it is going to be a bitch to move back in the draft and acquire additional picks that are worth moving back.

BroncoInferno
04-19-2011, 07:29 AM
i love how it is always posed that trading draft picks is something easy to do in the NFL.

CBA or not, it is going to be a b**** to move back in the draft and acquire additional picks that are worth moving back.

If a rookie cap is in place, or the assumption of one, it will be MUCH easier to move picks at the top of the draft. MUCH easier. The financial burden of the top selections really is the primary reason teams can't move those picks.

jhns
04-19-2011, 07:33 AM
I would rather get the top defensive prospect. We never get this chance, I don't understand people wanting to pass it up.

BroncoInferno
04-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I would rather get the top defensive prospect. We never get this chance, I don't understand people wanting to pass it up.

Based on the needs of other teams, we could move down to 5 or 6 and still probably have our pick between Peterson, Dareus and Fairley. Whoever would theoretically move into the #2 spot would probably take a QB, Buffalo takes Miller, Cincy takes Green, then we have our choice of three top guys at #5. I wouldn't want to move down any lower the #7, though.

BroncoMan4ever
04-19-2011, 07:59 AM
If a rookie cap is in place, or the assumption of one, it will be MUCH easier to move picks at the top of the draft. MUCH easier. The financial burden of the top selections really is the primary reason teams can't move those picks.

true, but with the CBA uncertainty no one can really know whether or not they will or won't end up with a massive financial burden, which makes it doubtful any trade is made

LonghornBronco
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
A bit of a gamble with the best value and highest need possibly staring us in the face. Dareus at #2 is a no brainer. However, I would not be upset with a move down or two netting us either Fairley at 8 or Leguit in the mid teens provided we give no discounts from the draft chart. But what the hell I don't have a vote.

NFLBRONCO
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
It is their best move to move down a few spots I agree. Too many needs on this team not to add a few more selections for revamping D of course a team will have to LOVE Gabbert enough to do so.

FantomForce
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
applause

NFLBRONCO
04-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Based on the needs of other teams, we could move down to 5 or 6 and still probably have our pick between Peterson, Dareus and Fairley. Whoever would theoretically move into the #2 spot would probably take a QB, Buffalo takes Miller, Cincy takes Green, then we have our choice of three top guys at #5. I wouldn't want to move down any lower the #7, though.

Honestly if we did move down to 7 I'd want to trade down again but, that's too Maddenish to expect.

BroncoInferno
04-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Honestly if we did move down to 7 I'd want to trade down again but, that's too Maddenish to expect.

Well, I want to come away with one of Miller, Peterson, Fairley or Dareus (in that order). I think it's pretty likely that at least Fairley will still be available at that spot, with an outside chance of Peterson and/or Dareus being available as well. After 7, though, you're probably going to have to move on down to the lower tier of targets. Plus, if we move down from #2 to #7, we would likely get several premium picks anyway, so moving lower would just become overkill.

broncogary
04-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Well, I want to come away with one of Miller, Peterson, Fairley or Dareus (in that order). I think it's pretty likely that at least Fairley will still be available at that spot, with an outside chance of Peterson and/or Dareus being available as well. After 7, though, you're probably going to have to move on down to the lower tier of targets. Plus, if we move down from #2 to #7, we would likely get several premium picks anyway, so moving lower would just become overkill.

Have you seen our defense?

UberBroncoMan
04-19-2011, 01:29 PM

We could still get one picking at say... 5 or even 7, and prob wind up with an extra 2nd rounder which would be HUGE given what we need.

WolfpackGuy
04-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Trading down while staying in the top 10 to grab a defensive player would be fine with me.

I just don't see one player turning the defense around overnight considering all the holes and age.

peacepipe
04-19-2011, 01:40 PM
It would be a mistake if denver traded out of the top 10. if we trade down I hope it's no lower than 5.

Rohirrim
04-19-2011, 01:45 PM
For every sports writer there's a different speculation. I hate this time of year.

uplink
04-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Assume: 1) teams are only going to trade up into the top 4 to get Newton or Gabbert and 2) broncos would like to trade down and 3) they like Dareus or Miller in the 1st round.

If Carolina does not choose Dareus or Miller, might the broncos not make a pick at #2 if they can't trade out. They let the Bills pick ahead of them, and then still have either Dareus or Miller to pick from at #3. They reduce the salary of the pick plus they get to listen to more trade talks. Minnesota did this awhile back. I am not convinced Buffalo is going to take a QB since they like Fitzgerld, that leaves Gabbert or Newton still their after the Bills pick.

baja
04-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't know why this is so hard - take Peterson.