PDA

View Full Version : Your Nightmare Draft Scenario?

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 10:11 AM
With the pending private workout with Cam Newton coming up (and let's face it, it's obvious smoke screen), I started thinking about how badly I would freak the **** out if we drafted him.

That being said, what is your nightmare scenario and how badly would it impact you as a fan?

Myself as an example:

1. Turns out it isn't smoke screen and we take Cam Newton (Gabbert wouldn't bother me nearly as bad)

2. Follow it up by addressing offense in the 2nd

I can promise you this:

If that happened, I would give you the effing meltdown of OM meltdowns. It would be Old Testament biblical. Literally chapters of freaking out point by point, sprinkled with nonsensical ramblings, profanity laced tirades avoiding the language filter, pics of Favres dong, and everything else you could possibly imagine.

Simply put, it would eclipse the Gutless drunk thread, Jake's 06 Cutler meltdown and all the survivor matches rage all in one.

I'd honestly gtfo. I'd probably have time to cool off thanks to lock out, but good lord I dunno.

So... how about you?

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Yah, I would pretty much go ballistic if we take Newton at #2. It may take me a little while because I'd be thinking that the only reason the Broncos would take Newton is to trade him to a team somewhere in the first round (like Arizona or something).

But if that did not happen, I'd be really upset.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Yah, I would pretty much go ballistic if we take Newton at #2. It may take me a little while because I'd be thinking that the only reason the Broncos would take Newton is to trade him to a team somewhere in the first round (like Arizona or something).

But if that did not happen, I'd be really upset.

Can't without a CBA

underrated29
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
right there with ya.

Any QB in the first round.

PP and missing out on ellis, paea, austin, taylor or pretty much any DTs and having to settle for scraps.

If any of those occur I will help you start the tirade. I am harvesting locusts just in case.

2KBack
04-18-2011, 10:20 AM
It's hard for me to imagine a scenario that would make me flip the **** out. I know I would be pissed with a QB...or a WR. I've been irrationally angry at drafts in the past, and a QB (Cam specifically) would do the same for me.

That said...I always can talk myself into a prospect. When camp comes around, hope springs eternal once again.

If it isn't at least 3 straight picks of Defense I will be severely disappointed. Peterson, Dareus, Fairly, Miller...second tier D-lineman and linebackers. Collect them all.

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Can't without a CBA

So they can't do an Eli Manning/Philip Rivers type of trade?

Old Dude
04-18-2011, 10:22 AM
I'll probably freak if they take a QB at #2. Or a WR.

mkporter
04-18-2011, 10:24 AM
I gotta think most people's worst case scenario is the one you lay out, Rev. If we go offense first two rounds, I might start watching baseball. A more likely scenario that would piss me off is if we don't draft at least one DT in the first two rounds. Hopefully we aren't that stupid.

DHallblows
04-18-2011, 10:27 AM
We draft Patrick Peterson.

Sorry, just aiding in the eventual derailment of this thread...

Requiem
04-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Drafting one-legged, barely sub 4.9, never had more than 500 yards receiving in college Kyle Rudolph.

Archer81
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
QB, WR, RB or OT.

Especially QB. I have never had an epic meltdown, but I would snap like Theissman's leg if we draft Newton.

:Broncos:

NFLBRONCO
04-18-2011, 10:29 AM
My nightmare would be spending #2 pick on a player that is a total bust vs we should of drafted him him or him argument.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I'll somehow manage to take a close up pic of my ass, cheeks spread, after writing "Bowlen" with an arrow pointing to it and post that, as well.

That is how bad I'll go berserk.

oubronco
04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
If we squander the opportunity to get at LEAST 3 quality starters on Defense

Shananahan
04-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Agreed on Newton vs. Gabbert. My nightmare draft scenario would probably be a new CBA abolishing future drafts. It won't happen, but that's obviously worst case scenario.

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 10:36 AM
draft peterson, followed by rudolph and foster.

not a true nightmare scenario, but pretty frickin bad and not entirely infeasible.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Miller at 2 then offense with both picks in the 2nd.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
draft peterson, followed by rudolph and foster.

not a true nightmare scenario, but pretty frickin bad and not entirely infeasible.

.............wtf?

1. I can't imagine how Peterson is involved in a nightmare scenario rather than someone like Newton...

2. You advocated drafting Foster literally HOURS ago here:

if they went with miller, one of the DTs then foster, i would be happy.

So, one question:

WTF is wrong with you fundamentally?

Cleo McDowell
04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
QB on first day.

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 10:45 AM
.............wtf?

1. I can't imagine how Peterson is involved in a nightmare scenario rather than someone like Newton...

So, one question:

i like foster, absolutely and miller is i think my top choice for the #2 pick. i do NOT like foster and peterson with no defensive tackles picked at all. i dont see how anyone would advocate not taking a DT somewhere in the first 3 picks, look who is currently signed on the team. wed then have dj williams, foster and someone like woodyard or haggan to pick up the slack left from ryan mcbean and company. how does that ever seem like a winning formula, even with peterson in the backfield?

my scenario, like i said, is more of a nightmare situation that is not completely impossible. i dont think a QB at the #2 pick is even close to likely to happen.

thanks for the logical football discussion and lack of personal insults, you are good at that.

FantomForce
04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
Newton will be an NFL bust. Not in the physical sense but in the Maurice Clarett sense. Did anyone see the QB camp with Gruden? Already talking about guns. He says " I know it is a violent analogy, but I am the gun and I use people's criticism as ammunition." He even stopped himself to clarify that he already knew it was bad but he made the analogy anyways. He is bad juju.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 10:49 AM
i like foster, absolutely and miller is i think my top choice for the #2 pick. i do NOT like foster and peterson with no defensive tackles picked at all. i dont see how anyone would advocate not taking a DT somewhere in the first 3 picks, look who is currently signed on the team. wed then have dj williams, foster and someone like woodyard or haggan to pick up the slack left from ryan mcbean and company. how does that ever seem like a winning formula, even with peterson in the backfield?

my scenario, like i said, is more of a nightmare situation that is not completely impossible. i dont think a QB at the #2 pick is even close to likely to happen.

thanks for the logical football discussion and lack of personal insults, you are good at that.

Worst posts of the thread.

Good job.

Now that you've corrected the thread concept, I completely agree. I too will be furious if they draft players I like!

I honestly can't fathom how you've managed to complete ANY form of higher education, even if it's physical training.

Blueflame
04-18-2011, 10:50 AM
We already survived a draft-day trade of a future 1st round pick for a 2nd rounder... that's about as bad as it gets, IMHO.

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 10:57 AM

Good job.

Now that you've corrected the thread concept, I completely agree. I too will be furious if they draft players I like!

I honestly can't fathom how you've managed to complete ANY form of higher education, even if it's physical training.

are you serious?
the drafting of players that in combination will do essentially very little to make this defense get significantly better is a good idea to you? got it. a DB and a LB still leaves the team with a starting front four from this group of guys:
Ryan McBean, Kevin Vickerson, Louis Leonard, Mitch Unrein

but as long as peterson is in the backfield, everything is ok?

thanks for the insult to my higher education too, thats very necessary when discussing football drafts.

HAT
04-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Any offensive player with the first 2 picks. I could maybe live with a Leshoure at 46 if the first 2 picks were Miller/Austin, Peterson/Austin, or Dareus/Front 7. Maybe.

Drafting any DE in the first unless they trade back far enough (for full value & then some) to where Miller, Peterson, Dareus, Fairley & Liuget are all gone. No discounts if you are trading back to Washington or below. In that case I'd be okay with a Cam Jordan type.

Liuget, Wilkerson, Austin, Paea & Taylor all being off the board at 36 if they take Peterson or Miller in the first.

Using some combination of 2a, 2b & 3 to trade back into the first round, UNLESS they have already acquired extra picks from trading down from #2.

Drafting Rudolph anywhere before #67. Too many tier 2-3 TEs to be had in the later rounds. Cameron, Green, Williams, etc.

HAT
04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
QB on first day.

QB at all.

HAT
04-18-2011, 11:01 AM
We already survived a draft-day trade of a future 1st round pick for a 2nd rounder... that's about as bad as it gets, IMHO.

Way to take a 2011 draft topic and sidetrack it with your McD bias. At least you're consistent. ^5

HAT
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
.............wtf?

So, one question:

He didn't state it very clearly, but I get what he was saying.

I wouldn't exactly call it a nightmare but I wouldn't be too thrilled if they took Peterson in the first and ALSO failed to get a DT at 36 or 46.

Blueflame
04-18-2011, 11:04 AM
Way to take a 2011 draft topic and sidetrack it with your McD bias. At least you're consistent. ^5

:pfbbt:

I suppose I'd be less-than-pleased if we traded out of #2 overall for a day-old bologna sandwich (didn't get good value for the high draft position).

bronco0608
04-18-2011, 11:05 AM
Patrick Peterson at number 2. Any offensive player in the first round.

DrFate
04-18-2011, 11:05 AM
QB at all.

I still say the Broncos NEED a QB. (not early, of course)

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 11:06 AM
are you serious?
the drafting of players that in combination will do essentially very little to make this defense get significantly better is a good idea to you? got it. a DB and a LB still leaves the team with a starting front four from this group of guys:
Ryan McBean, Kevin Vickerson, Louis Leonard, Mitch Unrein

but as long as peterson is in the backfield, everything is ok?

thanks for the insult to my higher education too, thats very necessary when discussing football drafts.

Very serious.

Is it ideal? No

Is it a "nightmare" scenario drafting talented players on the defensive side of the ball? Gtfo

1. McBean and Vickerson have significant starting experience

2. When the lockout ends, it means a CBA has been worked out, so it means there will be free agents.

3. Did someone on twitter change your mind about Foster?

DrFate
04-18-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm with Rev, the ultimate draft-day nightmare is Newton.

The longterm nightmare is throwing away a pick on Haynesworth 2.0, aka Fairley. Give him big dollars, watch him get arrested/fat/malcontent - and watch better players like Peterson have long, productive careers.

cmhargrove
04-18-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm with Rev, the ultimate draft-day nightmare is Newton.

The longterm nightmare is throwing away a pick on Haynesworth 2.0, aka Fairley. Give him big dollars, watch him get arrested/fat/malcontent - and watch better players like Peterson have long, productive careers.

No, i'll add a level to the "ultimate nightmare," but maybe this is just me speaking. If we were going #2 on Newton, hat means he would definitely be our QBOTF, and the other dominoes would fall...

Your nightmare move would be preceded by a Tebow trade. Whatever you think of the QB situation, Tebow (in my book) was the most positive thing that happened to the Broncos last season. If you take him away, you could really tear apart the fan base.

So, my worst case scenario is a trade of Tebow, coupled with a Newton pick.

DrFate
04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
No, i'll add a level to the "ultimate nightmare," but maybe this is just me speaking. If we were going #2 on Newton, hat means he would definitely be our QBOTF, and the other dominoes would fall...

Your nightmare move would be preceded by a Tebow trade. Whatever you think of the QB situation, Tebow (in my book) was the most positive thing that happened to the Broncos last season. If you take him away, you could really tear apart the fan base.

So, my worst case scenario is a trade of Tebow, coupled with a Newton pick.

Without a CBA, they can't trade Tebow (so he'd have to be traded after the pick and after a CBA)

That said - I find your nightmarish view pretty scary indeed. :)

HAT
04-18-2011, 11:13 AM
I still say the Broncos NEED a QB. (not early, of course)

Man....I just don't see it this year. Especially being short a 4th & 5th rounder.
Even IF Orton gets shipped before opening day, I'm fine rolling with Tebow & Quinn and a street FA.

I get that Elway & Fox may want their own guy but this is not the year to do it IMO. Play the cards you were dealt for one hand....They'll both get a free pass if it doesn't work out. And be in better position for yet another QBOTF try next year if need be.

Shananahan
04-18-2011, 11:14 AM
I could maybe live with a Leshoure at 46 if the first 2 picks were Miller/Austin, Peterson/Austin, or Dareus/Front 7. Maybe.
I'd go beyond living with it and would probably learn to love and get excited about it. A 123 combo of Peterson/DT/Leshoure or Dareus/front seven/Leshoure would be perfectly acceptable by me if the continued to focus on defense throughout the rest of the draft.

DrFate
04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Man....I just don't see it this year. Especially being short a 4th & 5th rounder.
Even IF Orton gets shipped before opening day, I'm fine rolling with Tebow & Quinn and a street FA.

You can certainly make the case he shouldn't be a draft pick, though. I think if Tebow is 'the man', he needs a backup. If Tebow is an HBack, the team needs a QB. Orton/Quinn aren't the long-term answer.

maven
04-18-2011, 11:17 AM
As I get older, the less I give a ****. Hope the players taken will lead to something good. About all u can hope for as a fan. Because at the end of the day, I have no say and I'm just along for the ride.

I will say firing Josh only to replace him with John fox and elway rings stupid in my eyes. At least Josh had a vision IMO and wasn't given the chance. Fox and elway ring nothing in my eyes. I think the team from top to bottom is going to suck. I'll spend my Sunday's doing more important things.

gyldenlove
04-18-2011, 11:22 AM
What really pisses me off is that I am going to be at a conference in Atlanta during the draft, so I will miss all the epicness, the drunken tirades and the mass bannings. I imagine if that happens I will come back to something slightly reminiscent of this:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoqSOspbHmI3ztVnMA61_YJyc-TQyURD-M31CN3NiBQ38PzALBTg&t=1

razorwire77
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Newton at no. 2 and I go ape ****. I will leave the house to avoid breaking the television. Not hyperbole. If we draft Newton, I will chuck my beer deep through the television like I'm running McD's offense and it's 3rd and 1.

Steve Prefontaine
04-18-2011, 11:23 AM
Taking a QB in the first 2 rounds.

Spider
04-18-2011, 12:33 PM
the only nightmare I have is , the ex wife and Miss America are fighting over me , and the ex is winning ...........

oubronco
04-18-2011, 12:35 PM
the only nightmare I have is , the ex wife and Miss America are fighting over me , and the ex is winning ...........

Damn it son stoke that fire!!!

Pony Boy
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Trading our 2nd round pick for Jimmy Clausen

long beach bronco
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM
The mother of all nightmare scenarios would be the Broncos squandering their 15 minutes of not knowing who to pick and run out of time and lose the pick all together. Armageddon would then soon commence with the Orangemane being ground zero.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
The mother of all nightmare scenarios would be the Broncos squandering their 15 minutes of not knowing who to pick and run out of time and lose the pick all together. Armageddon would then soon commence with the Orangemane being ground zero.

...you don't lose your pick when the time runs out. It's not Jeopardy.

long beach bronco
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
You do lose your pick! Just ask Minnesota

DrFate
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
You do lose your pick! Just ask Minnesota

They didn't lose their pick...

you just slide down in the draft order - you can then select at any time

DrFate
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545117

"By taking a "pass," the Vikings delayed their choice, but were permitted to then make it at any ensuing time.

But in frenzied flury in the minutes immediately following the Minnesota move, Jacksonville, choosing No. 8 overall, rushed in its card to pick quarterback Byron Leftwich.

In lightning time after that, Carolina jumped in to choose offensive tackle Jordon Gross.

Minnesota finally exercised its pick at the No. 9 slot, selecting defensive tackle Kevin Williams, one of the fastest-rising players in the lottery. "

long beach bronco
04-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks for clarifying that, they lost their spot in line.

s0phr0syne
04-18-2011, 01:04 PM
My nightmare scenario already happened last year.

(Famous last words upcoming...)

I don't think that things can turn out in a way that disappoint me any worse than spending three picks on Tebow.

cutthemdown
04-18-2011, 01:06 PM
Any player we take that doesn't play well = nightmare
Any player we take that is a great football player = dream

I wouldn't even care if Broncos took Aj Green if he played like Calvin Johnson. If he played like Lelie then it would suck. We can use studs at any position on the team. It will take finding them over the next 2 drafts and FA for us to have a shot. Right now rest of the division has about 5-6 more spots settled then we do.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 01:07 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545117

"By taking a "pass," the Vikings delayed their choice, but were permitted to then make it at any ensuing time.

But in frenzied flury in the minutes immediately following the Minnesota move, Jacksonville, choosing No. 8 overall, rushed in its card to pick quarterback Byron Leftwich.

In lightning time after that, Carolina jumped in to choose offensive tackle Jordon Gross.

Minnesota finally exercised its pick at the No. 9 slot, selecting defensive tackle Kevin Williams, one of the fastest-rising players in the lottery. "

It's funny how Minnesota ended up winning despite that display of incompetence.

meangene
04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Any QB at all.

TheChamp24
04-18-2011, 01:29 PM
My nightmare draft scenario:
1st - Cam Newton
2ndA - Derek Sherrod
2ndB - Titus Young

or

1st - AJ Green
2ndA - Colin Kaepernick
2ndB - Mikel Leshoure

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
We draft Patrick Peterson.

Sorry, just aiding in the eventual derailment of this thread...

you beat me to it

if we draft anyone who doesn't play in the front 7, i will be unbelievably pissed off.

and the only way a corner is worth the number 2 pick is if he comes straight out of college and makes CHamp in his prime look like garbage and that is never going to happen

RhymesayersDU
04-18-2011, 01:51 PM
If that happened, I would give you the effing meltdown of OM meltdowns. It would be Old Testament biblical. Literally chapters of freaking out point by point, sprinkled with nonsensical ramblings, profanity laced tirades avoiding the language filter, pics of Favres dong, and everything else you could possibly imagine.

CATS AND DOGS, LIVING TOGETHER... MASS HYSTERIA!!!

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 01:52 PM

I don't think that things can turn out in a way that disappoint me any worse than spending three picks on Tebow.

with that in mind it wouldn't be worse in your mind to waste the number 2 pick on Cam Newton when he has basically the same skill set and the same question marks about his game coming out of college as Tebow did, minus the leadership ability, great attitude, and ability to make those around him play better?

also on a side note, why is Cam Newton so highly rated coming out of college in comparison to Tebow? same skill set, same question marks about their game translating to the pros, yet Cam is a toop 5 pick, potentially number 1 overall, and Tebow is believed to have been a reach at 25?

does it have to do with skin color?

cmhargrove
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM

I can't knock your opinion, I can only hope you're wrong on this one. However, the "three picks" were pretty masterfully collected then spent. You might have used them on other players, but they didn't come at a very "high cost" unless you had a better idea of who to take with the picks.

If Tebow turns out to be a starter and a winner, it was a steal of a deal. If not, your nightmare...

RhymesayersDU
04-18-2011, 01:58 PM
with that in mind it wouldn't be worse in your mind to waste the number 2 pick on Cam Newton when he has basically the same skill set and the same question marks about his game coming out of college as Tebow did, minus the leadership ability, great attitude, and ability to make those around him play better?

also on a side note, why is Cam Newton so highly rated coming out of college in comparison to Tebow? same skill set, same question marks about their game translating to the pros, yet Cam is a toop 5 pick, potentially number 1 overall, and Tebow is believed to have been a reach at 25?

Well considering the fact that black guys can't play QB, I doubt that's the reason.

/this should be fun

elsid13
04-18-2011, 02:01 PM

Because there is no question about his throwing motion and he is physical bigger. Newton has over the top style and has shown velocity that doesn't cause concern among the scouts or coaching staffs.

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 02:11 PM
CATS AND DOGS, LIVING TOGETHER... MASS HYSTERIA!!!

if this was facebook, i would "like" this comment.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Because there is no question about his throwing motion and he is physical bigger. Newton has over the top style and has shown velocity that doesn't cause concern among the scouts or coaching staffs.

give me a break about throwing motion. look at Rivers, hell look at Marino. 2 of the funkiest deliveries i have ever seen on a QB and neither of them have done too bad in their careers.

throwing motion is bull****.

and size, give me a break, he is what maybe 2 inches taller, and like 10-15lbs heavier. take a look at Brees, barely hitting the 6' mark and he is a top QB in the league.

and also it isn't like Tebow has a Pennington arm. he has good velocity on his passes, and with things like accuracy, and throwing motion, those are things that can be worked on and corrected.

NFLBRONCO
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
My worst nightmare would be if 90% of OM loved our draft :)

elsid13
04-18-2011, 02:21 PM
give me a break about throwing motion. look at Rivers, hell look at Marino. 2 of the funkiest deliveries i have ever seen on a QB and neither of them have done too bad in their careers.

throwing motion is bull****.

and size, give me a break, he is what maybe 2 inches taller, and like 10-15lbs heavier. take a look at Brees, barely hitting the 6' mark and he is a top QB in the league.

and also it isn't like Tebow has a Pennington arm. he has good velocity on his passes, and with things like accuracy, and throwing motion, those are things that can be worked on and corrected.

You asked why Newton was thought higher of then Tebow coming out and I told you the reasons. You can bitch about all you want, but scouts and teams look at Newton and they are more comfortable with the fact they are not going to working on his mechanics or balance. That the reality of the situation, when comes to the draft.

gunns
04-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Yep a QB would send me, but a WR would put me in a coma. Of course if we didn't have any WR's on the team it would still send me to take a WR at #2, hell in the first round at all. So I guess my summary would be any offensive players with the first 3 picks.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 02:28 PM
You asked why Newton was thought higher of then Tebow coming out and I told you the reasons. You can b**** about all you want, but scouts and teams look at Newton and they are more comfortable with the fact they are not going to working on his mechanics or balance. That the reality of the situation, when comes to the draft.

i get that and am not complaining at your reasoning.

i just don't see how a couple inches and pounds, and a different throwing motion combined with all the questions Tebow had surrounding his transition to the pro game makes Newton a sure fire top 5 pick(potentially number 1 overall) and Tebow had 3rd round grades and is seen as a huge reach at 25.

that is my own personal thoughts and comprehension of the evaluations of these 2. i don't see how so little differences can translate to over 2 rounds of evaluated worth between 2 players.

oubronco
04-18-2011, 02:29 PM
After watching teams just run it down our throats and pass at will with their QB having all day to throw the ball it would extremely piss me off if they draft Offense with the first two picks although I wouldn't be too upset with Leshoure at 2b

We need DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and more DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain Bronco
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I don't understand how anyone could say drafting the best player in the draft is a nightmare scenario??? Puzzling, but I will move on and say Cam Newton taken anywhere by the Broncos would have me pissed off. I have an unatural hate for that guy and would have a hard time cheering for him.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
After watching teams just run it down our throats and pass at will with their QB having all day to throw the ball it would extremely piss me off if they draft Offense with the first two picks although I wouldn't be too upset with Leshoure at 2b

We need DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and more DEFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like Leshoure a lot, but i just want us going straight defense our 1st 3 picks. i want 3 starters on the defensive side of the ball from out 1st and 2nd round picks.

we can get someone like Alex Green out of Hawaii in like the 6th or even possibly undrafted. no need to use another high pick on a RB we all have seen how well that has played out for us the last 2 years

Popps
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
1. Peterson
2. Any QB

Though, I agree with Rev that Newton would be a bigger nightmare, but I just can't even fathom that, even playing make believe.

fdf
04-18-2011, 03:52 PM
Trade all our picks to move from number 2 to number 1. Then draft Cam Newton.

KevinJames
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
If we don't draft Patrick Peterson I am going to do everything rev says he will do if we draft Cam Newton.

primetime714
04-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Worst case scenario we draft Newton or Gabbert, get the 2012 #1 pick and pass on Luck. We also trade Tebow for a mid round pick and he outperforms Newton/Gabbert with his new team.

That's a more elaborate scenario, but in short I'm against any pick in the first that isn't defense. I'm not crazy about Von Miller either especially at #2. That said I still think he'll be a good player just not fully utilized in a 4-3.

My ideal scenario would be to trade down and find a way to get Peterson or one of the top DL and also get another late round 1st and pickup Liuget who is my favorite player outside of the top 10. Without giving up anything other than moving down from #2.

El Minion
04-18-2011, 04:32 PM
With the pending private workout with Cam Newton coming up (and let's face it, it's obvious smoke screen), I started thinking about how badly I would freak the **** out if we drafted him.

That being said, what is your nightmare scenario and how badly would it impact you as a fan?

Myself as an example:

1. Turns out it isn't smoke screen and we take Cam Newton (Gabbert wouldn't bother me nearly as bad)

2. Follow it up by addressing offense in the 2nd

I can promise you this:

Simply put, it would eclipse the Gutless drunk thread, Jake's 06 Cutler meltdown and all the survivor matches rage all in one.

I'd honestly gtfo. I'd probably have time to cool off thanks to lock out, but good lord I dunno.

So... how about you?

Well that would ironic, Newton left Florida because he wasn't going to supplant Tebow at QB, and if Denver drafts Newton, then Tebow don't have friend in the FO. What a role reversal that would be!

And Denver would have two Heisman trophy winners, at QB no less!

WolfpackGuy
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Draft Cam Newton, then have him go through a lengthy holdout.

LOL

epicSocialism4tw
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Nightmare draft scenario?

Denver drafts Cam Newton, then the NFL season doesnt happen and we're left listening to Cam and his dad for a year without football while Tim Tebow plays nice.

wolf754life
04-18-2011, 07:57 PM

Good job.

good to see rev is in mid season form...

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 08:08 PM
good to see rev is in mid season form...

You can't turn this off.

How've you been?

NFLBRONCO
04-18-2011, 08:12 PM
you beat me to it

if we draft anyone who doesn't play in the front 7, i will be unbelievably pissed off.

and the only way a corner is worth the number 2 pick is if he comes straight out of college and makes CHamp in his prime look like garbage and that is never going to happen

I can see being pissed on draft night but, if the player turns out great on the field isn't that the most important factor even if its not our first choice. I feel the same about drafting Miller (lukewarm draft night but, darn thrilled if he turn's out to be a stud) in his career. I just want stud's on our D do not care what order we get them.

gunns
04-18-2011, 08:16 PM
I don't understand how anyone could say drafting the best player in the draft is a nightmare scenario??? Puzzling, but I will move on and say Cam Newton taken anywhere by the Broncos would have me pissed off. I have an unatural hate for that guy and would have a hard time cheering for him.

Well, a lot of sites are saying AJ Green is the best player in the draft, right there with Peterson. So Carolina drafts and AJ's still there. Broncos draft Green and in what sense does that improve the team, besides the fact I've died of a cardiac arrest. We'd look like the Detroit Lions.

Most teams do not pick the best player available. They pick the best player available at a needed position and generally the biggest hole in their team.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Well, a lot of sites are saying AJ Green is the best player in the draft, right there with Peterson. So Carolina drafts and AJ's still there. Broncos draft Green and in what sense does that improve the team, besides the fact I've died of a cardiac arrest. We'd look like the Detroit Lions.

Most teams do not pick the best player available. They pick the best player available at a needed position and generally the biggest hole in their team.

I would MUCH rather have Green than Newton...

wolf754life
04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
You can't turn this off.

How've you been?

still taking pictures in my underwear!

NFLBRONCO
04-18-2011, 08:23 PM
If I was Carolina I'd draft Dareus and be in Luck sweepstakes in 2012.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 08:24 PM
I can see being pissed on draft night but, if the player turns out great on the field isn't that the most important factor even if its not our first choice. I feel the same about drafting Miller (lukewarm draft night but, darn thrilled if he turn's out to be a stud) in his career. I just want stud's on our D do not care what order we get them.

i would be pissed in the same way many are still pissed over Lelie instead of Reed. because even if we do draft a stud in an area not needed, it isn't addressing serious gaping holes on the rest of the team.

by not drafting front 7 hep early and often it is the equivalent of buying drapes for a house that just had the roof collapse.

NFLBRONCO
04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
i would be pissed in the same way many are still pissed over Lelie instead of Reed. because even if we do draft a stud in an area not needed, it isn't addressing serious gaping holes on the rest of the team.

by not drafting front 7 hep early and often it is the equivalent of buying drapes for a house that just had the roof collapse.

I see your point don't disagree either. Besides the obvious of me liking Peterson I'd like us to draft him so it gives FO a chance to prove they can bolster front 7 in 2nd and 3rd round and FA.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 08:34 PM
I see your point don't disagree either. Besides the obvious of me liking Peterson I'd like us to draft him so it gives FO a chance to prove they can bolster front 7 in 2nd and 3rd round and FA.

i honestly do not have that much faith in the front office right now. i would rather safe smart picks that address the needs of the team and then find out their mettle when it comes down to finding those necessary plug ins at not as big of need areas.

sort of like the steelers, build through the draft and then fill in a few holes with stop gap FA

gunns
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I would MUCH rather have Green than Newton...

I wasn't saying that and you know it. No I do not want a QB, especially any out of this draft class. I will say though, I equate taking a WR in the first round to taking a FB or kicker in the first round.

Unless, of course, the FB is a Howard Griffith. ;D

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
still taking pictures in my underwear!

Did you namechange on there?

NFLBRONCO
04-18-2011, 08:39 PM
i honestly do not have that much faith in the front office right now. i would rather safe smart picks that address the needs of the team and then find out their mettle when it comes down to finding those necessary plug ins at not as big of need areas.

sort of like the steelers, build through the draft and then fill in a few holes with stop gap FA

Without FA Before the draft I see us going two ways

1. Trading down for more picks
2. Dareus/Miller