PDA

View Full Version : "Experts" predict Broncos to select Alabama DT Dareus

Bronco Rob
04-18-2011, 04:38 AM
"Experts" predict Broncos to select Alabama DT Dareus

With the exception of perhaps the Alabama stat keeper, darn near everybody believes defensive tackle Marcell Dareus is worthy of the Broncos' No. 2 overall draft pick.

Mel Kiper Jr., Mike Mayock and Todd McShay — the top trio among the ever-expanding legion of draft analysts — all have the Broncos picking Dareus.

"I look at it like, if you go back in the history of watching football, before the game was started, it started up front," Dareus said. "Some people were scared and backed up off the ball, but the real bulls stayed up front and played the game."

Even if the Broncos didn't have a gaping hole in the middle of their defensive line after the release of Justin Bannan and Jamal Williams, NFL insiders would gush about Dareus' potential to become the second coming of Warren Sapp.

"First of all, he's one of the biggest defensive tackle prospects," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said recently. "His size (6-foot-3, 319 pounds) gives him an advantage over a lot of the other prospects in terms of having a massive body in there inside."

And because Dareus played for Alabama and former NFL coach Nick Saban, he should be well-adjusted for the mental, physical and practice demands at the professional level.

"Saban runs that program as close to an NFL team as any program in the country," Xanders said

for the rest........... http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_17870104

Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama

Height, weight: 6-foot-3, 319 pounds

Workout numbers: 24 reps of 225-pound bench press (tied-21st among 23 D-tackles with recorded bench-press totals); 4.9 3/40 (No. 3 among top 50); 8-foot-10 standing broad jump (t-5).

Strength: Size. He's the biggest of the top-ranked defensive tackles. He's also quick for his size. Can play all three line positions in 3-4, a defensive tackle in 4-3. Can both anchor blockers and penetrate the backfield. Weakness: Not a ton of production. In his past two seasons, he combined for 59 tackles, 19 1/2 tackles for loss and 11 sacks. Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley, in his junior season alone, had 60 tackles, 24 1/2 tackles for loss and 11 1/2 sacks. So Fairley had slightly more production in one year than Dareus had in two.

Key game: In the 2010 BCS national championship game, Dareus belted Colt McCoy so hard in the shoulder on the fifth play, the Texas quarterback was knocked out of the game. Dareus later intercepted a shovel pass and returned it 28 yards for a touchdown. He was named the game's MVP.

Things you should know: Born, raised and went to college in Alabama, so he has never really left home. Would Denver be culture shock? Came out after his junior year. The second- youngest of seven siblings, Dareus was 6 when his father died. His mother, Michelle Luckey, fell seriously ill when he was in high school. Dareus' mom passed away last summer.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 05:56 AM
"First of all, he's one of the biggest defensive tackle prospects," Broncos general manager Brian Xanders said recently. "His size (6-foot-3, 319 pounds) gives him an advantage over a lot of the other prospects in terms of having a massive body in there inside."

I love how every Xanders quote is so superficial and astoundingly obvious.

He followed that quote up by REALLY showing off his scouting ability by saying, "Well, Marcell is a black guy, you see."

errand
04-18-2011, 06:12 AM
OK, so he's not the strongest DT (20 others had more bench reps)...he's only the 3rd fastest, and he's been out jumped by 4 others...and his production isn't what you figure it should have been in college.

The draft is a crap shoot...but if Fairley has more talent and more production i think he'd get the nod over Dareus, then again I think Von Miller or Patrick Petersen would be the safer pick and we could still find a quality DT in 2nd round....just saying

TailgateNut
04-18-2011, 07:16 AM
Doesn't Fairley have some character issues which may result in "issues"?

errand
04-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Doesn't Fairley have some character issues which may result in "issues"?

I've heard he does...but then again, it's never stopped a team from drafting some clown because he had "issues".

IHaveALight
04-18-2011, 07:56 AM
I've heard he does...but then again, it's never stopped a team from drafting some clown because he had "issues".

Yes it has. Low character guys slip in the draft all the time.
Randy Moss and Dez Bryant come to mind.

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 08:01 AM

jimmy smith and ryan mallet too, just this year.

Pony Boy
04-18-2011, 08:50 AM
"Experts" predict Broncos to select Alabama DT Dareus

Wow..... there's a 'News Flash"

errand
04-18-2011, 09:03 AM

they weren't drafted? i never said low character guys don't slip or fall down to lower positions....I said their character issues have never stopped a team from drafting them.

TheChamp24
04-18-2011, 09:15 AM
I think this almost guarantees the Broncos don't get Dareus now...

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 09:16 AM
i think the chance that denver drafts von miller is being underplayed here and in the media.

DrFate
04-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Miller at #2 would be a surprise, based on the current coverage

I can't say I'm knowledgeable about Miller - was he an ultra-productive college player? Or a combine wonder?

HAT
04-18-2011, 09:24 AM
i think the chance that denver drafts von miller is being underplayed here and in the media.

As is the chance that Carolina drafts Dareus.

errand
04-18-2011, 09:46 AM
Von Miller is a 6'3" 246 pound LB that had 178 career tackles at Texas A&M with 33 career sacks, 11 in '10... he had 17 sacks in '09. Oddly, he's never forced a fumble and only has one INT...but we need someone that can scare the QB and make him **** himself. Miller is that kind of guy.....he does however seem to fit better in a 3-4 than 4-3.

oubronco
04-18-2011, 09:48 AM
That's because Miller lined up at DE most of the time and didn't do much coverage

2KBack
04-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Von Miller is a 6'3" 246 pound LB that had 178 career tackles at Texas A&M with 33 career sacks, 11 in '10... he had 17 sacks in '09. Oddly, he's never forced a fumble and only has one INT...but we need someone that can scare the QB and make him **** himself. Miller is that kind of guy.....he does however seem to fit better in a 3-4 than 4-3.

He seems to be the kind of athlete where scheme doesn't matter. I mean nothing about his size screams 3-4 to me, he's agile, pretty fast. Roughly the size of Romonowski.

errand
04-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Mel Kiper and numerous others have Miller going at #3 to Bills. Word is he's about as close to a Lawrence Taylor kind of LB you can find. He can play the run, rush the passer, and cover...and he does it with explosion...or so "they" say.

Rohirrim
04-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Not a ton of production. In his past two seasons, he combined for 59 tackles, 19 1/2 tackles for loss and 11 sacks. Auburn defensive tackle Nick Fairley, in his junior season alone, had 60 tackles, 24 1/2 tackles for loss and 11 1/2 sacks. So Fairley had slightly more production in one year than Dareus had in two.

I'm not sayin...

Broncoman13
04-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Miller at #2 would be a surprise, based on the current coverage

I can't say I'm knowledgeable about Miller - was he an ultra-productive college player? Or a combine wonder?

Ultra productive for two seasons now. Was All Big-12 in 2009 and 2010. 2nd team all-american as a Junior and lead the nation with 17 sacks. Was hobbled by an ankle injury the first few games of 2010 and didn't get a sack for the first several weeks (5). Then went on to finish his Sr. year with 10.5 sacks and was a 1st team All-American. He has drawn comparisons to Derrick Thomas but I see a lot of Demarcus Ware in him too. He is pretty lean coming out, but weighs about the same as Ware did, so I have confidence that he can add 10-15 lbs. In fact, he added 9 lbs to his playing weight for the combine and still tested exceptionally well. He has an innate ability to not be blocked. More slippery than anything which is my one concern with him. At the pro level offensive lineman know how to engage and lock on, he hasn't shown a lot of ability to disengage from blocks. Not a red flag, but definitely a concern b/c you don't know if that ability to just avoid blockers will translate in the NFL... and you don't have a lot of evidence that he can slip a block once engaged.

I think he would have to play SLB in Fox's defense and Fox would have to be creative in how he used him. He plays the ball well and makes a lot of plays at or behind the LOS. If he is used properly he could be a 8-10 sack guy while piling up close to 100 tackles.

If we were guaranteed a starting caliber DT in the 2nd round (likely) I wouldn't be at all surprised if they called his name for us.

Dream scenario, trade down to the #5 spot.

1.) Carolina- Newton
2.) Arizona- Gabbert
3.) Buffalo- Marcel Dareus
4.) Cincy- AJ Green
5.) Denver- Von Miller

There is a pretty good chance the Bills would take Von Miller at 3 in which case we get that stud DT at 5.

The depth at LB is pretty weak in this draft. There really isn't much to talk about in the 2nd round or 3rd rounds. LBs will be drafted 20-30 spots ahead of their slotting b/c of the need not b/c of the talent. If you wait until the 2nd round you're settling on a guy like Bruce Carter or Mason Foster. Both decent players, but no where near the caliber player that you see in Von Miller.

At DT you have Dareus, Fairley and Liuget as the top 3. Most see Dareus and Fairley as top 10 and then Liuget as a 11-25 guy. Taylor, Wilkerson and Paea could also sneak into the first. That leaves guys like Ballard and Austin in the 2nd... and it is very unlikely that six DTs would go in the first round. So, more than likely, we will have a shot at 3-5 DTs that would be starting caliber players in the 2nd round. If we managed an additional 2nd round pick in a trade down to #5, we could end up with two of those guys and still select a top notch TE or the drafts top safety (not that any of the safetys in this class excite me).

How would a draft of Von Miller, Stephen Paea, and Marvin Austin look? Talk about overhauling a defense in two days!!!

errand
04-18-2011, 09:56 AM
He seems to be the kind of athlete where scheme doesn't matter. I mean nothing about his size screams 3-4 to me, he's agile, pretty fast. Roughly the size of Romonowski.

I agree..i think good player will succeed regardless, but the so-called experts say he's a better fit for team that plays 3-4. I personally think he's the safer pick....and we can still find a quality DT in 2nd round

TheChamp24
04-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I think Miller is an intriguing prospect, but good lord he does show concerns to me.
For one, his coverage skills. He didn't have to do a lot of coverage at A&M.
Second, getting off blocks and having some strength. He relied heavily on just running by players in college. I fear he'll be easily blocked in the NFL and be a waste of a #2 pick.

Really, the only way I see Miller being a good pick is if we line him all over and have him blitz from all sorts of ways, where he can use his speed and quickness to get by blockers.

yerner
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
59 tackles in two seasons?

errand
04-18-2011, 10:03 AM
How would a draft of Von Miller, Stephen Paea, and Marvin Austin look? Talk about overhauling a defense in two days!!!

nice take...but why wouldn't the Bills take him at 3rd overall if available. i mean if Broncos don't think Dareus is worth #2 overall (and trading down tells the bills exactly that)...what makes him worth the #3 spot as well?

If Miller is who the Broncos covet...i say pick him a few spots higher to guarantee you get him. Unless Carolina takes him #1...we would land the best LB and possibly the best pass rusher in the draft

errand
04-18-2011, 10:07 AM
59 tackles in two seasons?

in fairness to Dareus, he's a Dt..and alot of teams require that they occupy blockers, there by allowing LB's to make the tackles and sacks. think Siragusa and Sam Adams requiring all five OL to block and Ray Lewis and Co. cleaning up unfettered

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
nice take...but why wouldn't the Bills take him at 3rd overall if available. i mean if Broncos don't think Dareus is worth #2 overall (and trading down tells the bills exactly that)...what makes him worth the #3 spot as well?

If Miller is who the Broncos covet...i say pick him a few spots higher to guarantee you get him. Unless Carolina takes him #1...we would land the best LB and possibly the best pass rusher in the draft

schefter said no chance dareus gets past 3...

kyle williams and dareus might be a scary front too in buffalo.

errand
04-18-2011, 10:23 AM
schefter said no chance dareus gets past 3...

kyle williams and dareus might be a scary front too in buffalo.

that maybe true....if we trade down, i hope it is true. I just think that if this miller kid is all he's hyped to be, then he sounds like an unbelievable player that could be a game changer....and the question i'm wondering is this...if we draft Dareus, is there a LB that could come close to Miller in the draft? I think no...but If we draft miller, i do think we can find a DT that can come close to Dareus

Broncoman13
04-18-2011, 10:42 AM
that maybe true....if we trade down, i hope it is true. I just think that if this miller kid is all he's hyped to be, then he sounds like an unbelievable player that could be a game changer....and the question i'm wondering is this...if we draft Dareus, is there a LB that could come close to Miller in the draft? I think no...but If we draft miller, i do think we can find a DT that can come close to Dareus

No, the depth at DT is in far better shape than the depth at LB. At LB you have Von Miller and then Richard Quinn (definitely a 3-4 OLB) that could both break the top 10. After them you have Ayers (4.8s in the 40 but very productive) Justin Houston (another 3-4 OLB) and Mason Foster. Bruce Carter is also in the conversation but he is coming off of an ACL. The ILBs are even less intriguing. Martez Wilson tested really well at the combine, but he has a ton of question marks. Middle 2nd to early 3rd is where this year's top ILB should be drafted.

At DT, Dareus, Fairley, Liuget, Taylor, Wilkerson, Paea, Austin, and Ballard all carry top 45 grades. Dareus and Fairley Tier 1. Liuget Tier 2. Taylor, Wilkerson, Paea, Austin and Ballard Tier 3.

At LB, guys that can play in the 4-3... Von Miller, Ayers, Carter, Wilson, and Foster. Miller tier 1. Ayers and Carter Tier 2. Wilson and Foster Tier 3.

The difference is, the Tier 3 guys at DT would be Tier 2 and first round picks in most years. The Tier 3 guys at LB would generally not make that cut in stronger LB drafts and would be 3rd round picks.

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
if they went with miller, one of the DTs then foster, i would be happy.

Broncoman13
04-18-2011, 11:03 AM
if they went with miller, one of the DTs then foster, i would be happy.

Not that I don't like Foster, but I think we have too many other needs to go with two LBs in this draft. I'd be fine trotting out DJ Williams on the weak side, Joe Mays in the Middle and Von Miller on the strong side. Woodyard can continue to provide depth.

If you draft Miller and Foster, where does Foster play? How would you see the LB corps playing?

I'm guessing you are thinking Miller at the Weak side, DJ in the Middle and Foster on the Strong side?