PDA

View Full Version : Who's the next Bronco to be inducted in the Hall of Fame?

The Moops
04-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Now that Shannon Sharpe is heading to Canton, which eligible Bronco do you think deserves to be the next enshrined?

Terrell Davis

Karl Mecklenburg

Steve Atwater

Randy Gradishar

Louie Wright

Someone else

Bronkota
04-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Its a travesty that Rickey Jackson went in before Gradishar.

TheReverend
04-17-2011, 08:13 PM
My personal preference would be:

1. TD
2. Atwater
3. Gradishar
4. Mecklenburg
5. Dennis Smith
6. Louis Wright
7. ...And I wish Tombstone were justifiable, but his career was too short and not as dynamic as TD's burst to be considerable, imo

gunns
04-17-2011, 08:22 PM
I voted Gradishar as I feel it's a travesty he's not there already. My second would be TD. Loved Atwater but I don't know that he'll make it and feel Smith almost deserves it more but won't make it either.

broncocalijohn
04-17-2011, 09:37 PM
I am getting discouraged with the Gradishar vote so I went Atwater as it is fresher than Randy. I think guys like Randy and Louis deserve to get in before but Atwater was a safety with a LB attitude. People still remember his play from this last few decades. I dont mind who is first, as long as there is a next guy.

loborugger
04-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Rod Smith?

I dont think we will see any Broncos in the HOF for a while. The voters will look at us as placated for a while. We went from 0 to 4 in a decade (Elway, Zimm, Little, Sharpe). We need to shut up and take our place at the back of bus where we belong.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 12:41 AM
if the HOF were truly about who is deserving then it would be a no brainer that Gradishar, Mecklenberg and Dennis Smith would have already been in. but since it is about who was most well known on big market teams not many of these guys stand a chance. Gradishar on the same committee that finally got Little into the Hall has the best chance, but of the rest, TD and Mecklenberg stand the best chances, and neither of them anytime soon.

my vote went to TD, because he was the first Bronco that I had to watch every play he was on the field. Childhood hero.

i met the guy when I was 11 years old, and he just seemed like this giant, a god like person in the eyes of a child. and even now when I am 25, and about 2 inches taller than TD was, and about 20lbs heavier than him, in my mind TD is still a giant.

TD should get in on the basis of his playoff numbers alone. add in an MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 2000 yard season, quite possibly the greatest 3 year stretch of any RB in NFL history, a string of almost 3 years where he was 1 of if not the best player in the NFL.

**** you Shanahan, Griese and Lepsis. Shanahan for choosing Griese over Brister, which led to Griese throwing the pick that led to TDs injury and Lepsis for falling into TDs knee.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 12:43 AM
Rod Smith?

I dont think we will see any Broncos in the HOF for a while. The voters will look at us as placated for a while. We went from 0 to 4 in a decade (Elway, Zimm, Little, Sharpe). We need to shut up and take our place at the back of bus where we belong.

Rod is going to wait a long time, and maybe be always waiting. his numbers and the fact that he is the greatest UDFA in NFL history should make him 1st ballot, but the fact that it was done in Denver will bring out the Denver bias. add in that he was quiet, didn't make sure his name garnered national attention, just went about his business and worked his ass off, will be held against him, by those outside of Denver who won't recognize him for the player he was.

Shananahan
04-18-2011, 12:47 AM
quite possibly the greatest 3 year stretch of any RB in NFL history
Throw in the playoffs, like you said, and there isn't a better stretch that I am aware of. He improved every year, from good to unstoppable, and played even better when the regular season was over.

FireFly
04-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Rod Smith, then Tim Tebow - they'll grant a special exemption and allow him to enter before he retires.

tsiguy96
04-18-2011, 03:07 AM
most likely champ bailey.

The Moops
04-18-2011, 05:41 AM
The poll is for eligible Broncos.

Rod Smith isn't on the poll because he is not eligible yet. He officially retired in 2008, which means he won't be eligible until 2014. However, because he last played in 2006, the Hall of Fame may recognize that as his final season and could becomd elgible in 2012.

Natedogg
04-18-2011, 06:05 AM
Rod Smith?

??????????

http://www.rosaparksfacts.com/images/slides/rosa-parks-slide-1.jpg

DrFate
04-18-2011, 06:09 AM
I don't think Davis ever gets in. I'm not sure if anyone on that list ever gets in.

I loved Davis and his short run was amazing - but he simply didn't play long enough. I'm not hating on people's heroes, I'm simply stating what I believe to be a fact of life. The people who vote would rather vote in another nameless Cowboy than a Bronco anyway.

And don't compare TDs numbers to Sayers (cause Davis has better numbers)

Life isn't always fair

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Shannon Sharpe?

Flex Gunmetal
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Rod is going to wait a long time, and maybe be always waiting. his numbers and the fact that he is the greatest UDFA in NFL history should make him 1st ballot, but the fact that it was done in Denver will bring out the Denver bias. add in that he was quiet, didn't make sure his name garnered national attention, just went about his business and worked his ass off, will be held against him, by those outside of Denver who won't recognize him for the player he was.

He probably won't ever get in. If guys like Andre Reed can't get in I have a hard time seeing smith get in.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Shannon Sharpe?

http://plus4chan.org/b/jam/src/128608040569.gif

Tombstone RJ
04-18-2011, 10:18 AM
http://plus4chan.org/b/jam/src/128608040569.gif

ROFL!

Cleo McDowell
04-18-2011, 10:40 AM
I hope that TD's nat'l media exposure helps influence the process of him getting in.

crowebomber
04-18-2011, 10:49 AM
I think Gradishar should be in already, but I also think a case could be made for Jason Elam. He's 5th all time in total points scored, has the longest field goal in history and has the record for the most seasons with 100 points or more. Also the highest extra point percentage in history.

I know they don't really like kickers, but his numbers are worth a mention.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 12:22 PM
I hope that TD's nat'l media exposure helps influence the process of him getting in.

that or his new BBQ Sauce.....btw it is actually pretty good sauce

loborugger
04-18-2011, 12:33 PM
??????????

http://www.rosaparksfacts.com/images/slides/rosa-parks-slide-1.jpg

Sorry - there opinion of us. At least as I see it.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Love Rod, but his numbers are not 1st ballot. He went to only like 3 Pro Bowls and was a 2nd Team All-Pro once. He was a very good WR, but not one of the greatest of this generation.

His UDFA status doesn't change that.

Pony Boy
04-18-2011, 02:18 PM
most likely champ bailey.

I'm afraid you're right, Bailey will retire in 3 years plus 7 and goes in on 1st year of eligibility So....... better enjoy Sharp's induction, it will be the last one for a while.

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Love Rod, but his numbers are not 1st ballot. He went to only like 3 Pro Bowls and was a 2nd Team All-Pro once. He was a very good WR, but not one of the greatest of this generation.

His UDFA status doesn't change that.

there are not many receivers who have over 10000 receiving yards. not everyone holds a record in a super bowl(longest receiving TD)

things like the pro bowl and all pro awards are popularity contests. it is about who has the biggest names in the game. Rod never went out of his way to garner national attention by being a flava clown, he was what Hines Ward is now. but you know for a fact, that when Ward hangs up his cleats he is 1st ballot.

The Moops
04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Jason Elam is not on the poll because he is not eligible yet. He will be in 2015.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
there are not many receivers who have over 10000 receiving yards. not everyone holds a record in a super bowl(longest receiving TD)

things like the pro bowl and all pro awards are popularity contests. it is about who has the biggest names in the game. Rod never went out of his way to garner national attention by being a flava clown, he was what Hines Ward is now. but you know for a fact, that when Ward hangs up his cleats he is 1st ballot.

There are 34 current WRs over 10,000 yds, with a couple current active players who almost certainly will surpass that total whenever the next season happens (Driver and Andre Johnson will, possibly Steve Smith).

Rod currently sits 23rd in receiving yds. Joey Galloway is less than 500 yds away, OchoCinco and Wayne are about 600 yds away.

Rod played in an era of inflated passing totals. He's been passed up by many contemporaries and will be passed by even more in the upcoming years. He wasn't the best or even among the elite when compared to the WRs who were playing when he did.

He's tied for 35th in receiving TDs.

A single play record isn't a HoF credential, even it's the Super Bowl.

Hines Ward is 34, has more yds and 17 more TDs. It's not even a debate who has a better HoF resume right now, and Ward's will continue to get better with every game he plays going forward.

Rod's not a Hall of Famer, pure and simple. I realize that angers Broncos fans, but the guy was a very good WR, not a great one.

And for the record, I still think Rod was the better of the 2 WRs (vs. Eddie Mac) and he never received the credit he deserved from Broncos fans.

Mountain Bronco
04-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Not sure any of these candidates will ever get in. I think Shanahan will be the next Bronco to get his bust. He isn't eligible yet, I know, I know, but he is the next sure fire option and he will go in as a Bronco!

Mountain Bronco
04-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Didn't think about Champ, but he will probably get in before Shanahan, because Shanahan will coach for longer, front office etc..

TheWiz
04-18-2011, 03:26 PM
There are 34 current WRs over 10,000 yds, with a couple current active players who almost certainly will surpass that total whenever the next season happens (Driver and Andre Johnson will, possibly Steve Smith).

Rod currently sits 23rd in receiving yds. Joey Galloway is less than 500 yds away, OchoCinco and Wayne are about 600 yds away.

Rod played in an era of inflated passing totals. He's been passed up by many contemporaries and will be passed by even more in the upcoming years. He wasn't the best or even among the elite when compared to the WRs who were playing when he did.

He's tied for 35th in receiving TDs.

A single play record isn't a HoF credential, even it's the Super Bowl.

Hines Ward is 34, has more yds and 17 more TDs. It's not even a debate who has a better HoF resume right now, and Ward's will continue to get better with every game he plays going forward.

Rod's not a Hall of Famer, pure and simple. I realize that angers Broncos fans, but the guy was a very good WR, not a great one.

And for the record, I still think Rod was the better of the 2 WRs (vs. Eddie Mac) and he never received the credit he deserved from Broncos fans.

Michael Irvin - 1st ballot hall of famer - 750 rec, 11,904 yds, 65 tds

Rod Smith - 849 rec, 11,389 yds, 68 tds

I guess Rod should have been a loud mouth or got busted for drugs so he could be a first ballot hall of famer

BroncoMan4ever
04-18-2011, 03:33 PM

are you kidding me? Inflated passing totals?

Rod's career was coming to an end when the NFL bitched up the rules and made it almost impossible to put hands on a receiver and scewed everything toward giving offense an easier way to play.

that's like saying Elway played in an era that inflated passing yards, and that is bull**** too, because had Elway played in this age of the NFL his 51000 passing yards and 300 TDs would have probably inflated by 20% at least.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Michael Irvin - 1st ballot hall of famer - 750 rec, 11,904 yds, 65 tds

Rod Smith - 849 rec, 11,389 yds, 68 tds

I guess Rod should have been a loud mouth or got busted for drugs so he could be a first ballot hall of famer

And Rod played 24 more games than Irvin and still didn't surpass his receiving yardage, also took Rod nearly 100 more catches to get to that total.

15.9 ypc v 13.4

Hercules Rockefeller
04-18-2011, 03:39 PM
are you kidding me? Inflated passing totals?

Rod's career was coming to an end when the NFL b****ed up the rules and made it almost impossible to put hands on a receiver and scewed everything toward giving offense an easier way to play.

that's like saying Elway played in an era that inflated passing yards, and that is bull**** too, because had Elway played in this age of the NFL his 51000 passing yards and 300 TDs would have probably inflated by 20% at least.

Let me know when Rod's up for the "Hall of Very Good".

And to address your earlier "popularity contest" point about why Rod only went to 3 Pro Bowls, the people he's going to compete against for the HoF are the ones who were going to Pro Bowls over him.

Also, I'd bet there's probably a good deal of overlap between the HoF voters and the guys who vote for the AP All-Pro Teams, something he made 1 time and it was as a 2nd teamer. 1 season the press thought he was one of the 4 best WRs in the league, and that's a HoF career?

The Moops
04-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Rod's career should be looked at beyond the stats.

Like Irvin, Smith was a clutch playmaker in big games. He also was one of the most respected and hardest-working receivers in the game.

He is the all-time leader in receptions, yards, and receiving TDs among undrafted players.

Mountain Bronco
04-19-2011, 10:47 AM
You don't factor draft status into the hall of fame. A real good 6th rounder is not any better player versus a real good 1st rounder, just because he was drafted later or not at all.

Yes, looking beyond just stats can be good, but that actually hurts Rod IMO. A better case can be made for TD, because you can't look at just stats with him, you have to say, wow, he was the best RB and arguably the best player preriod for three years and did something that only a handfull of RB's have ever done. Can't say that with Rod.

It still doesn't get TD there though.

oubronco
04-19-2011, 10:49 AM
**** Irvin and his funky chicken dance after every catch

Drunk Monkey
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
if the HOF were truly about who is deserving then it would be a no brainer that Gradishar, Mecklenberg and Dennis Smith would have already been in. but since it is about who was most well known on big market teams not many of these guys stand a chance. Gradishar on the same committee that finally got Little into the Hall has the best chance, but of the rest, TD and Mecklenberg stand the best chances, and neither of them anytime soon.

my vote went to TD, because he was the first Bronco that I had to watch every play he was on the field. Childhood hero.

i met the guy when I was 11 years old, and he just seemed like this giant, a god like person in the eyes of a child. and even now when I am 25, and about 2 inches taller than TD was, and about 20lbs heavier than him, in my mind TD is still a giant.

TD should get in on the basis of his playoff numbers alone. add in an MVP, Super Bowl MVP, 2000 yard season, quite possibly the greatest 3 year stretch of any RB in NFL history, a string of almost 3 years where he was 1 of if not the best player in the NFL.

**** you Shanahan, Griese and Lepsis. Shanahan for choosing Griese over Brister, which led to Griese throwing the pick that led to TDs injury and Lepsis for falling into TDs knee.

I know this won't be a popular comment but I don't think TD played enough games to be in the HOF. I love the guy just as much as the rest of you but part of being one of the best ever is longevity. Unfortunately TD just did not have it.

broncosteven
04-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Now you know how I feel about Floyd Little.

broncosteven
04-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Now that Shannon Sharpe is heading to Canton, which eligible Bronco do you think deserves to be the next enshrined?

Terrell Davis

Karl Mecklenburg

Steve Atwater

Randy Gradishar

Louie Wright

Someone else

That is a tough poll, they all deserve to be in.

I would like to see Tombstone in just to have a rep from the pre Floyd days. I would like to see Randy and Louis in from the Orange Crush D. The Orange crush D was so iconic and kids to this day know what it was that we should have a couple reps in from that and Meck and Atwater are the 2 guys my friends here in Chicago know about and admire and think should be in.

Who will be next? I would like to quote McCartney "The movement you need is on your shoulder".

Naaa, Na, Na, Nanana, Naaaa

The Moops
04-20-2011, 03:49 AM
I agree. Rich Jackson deserves heavy consideration. He was the best DE in the game from 1967-71. Totally dominated. Tommy Jackson is another guy and so is Billy Thompson.

But the guys on the poll are the ones talked about the most among NFL circles.

Requiem
04-20-2011, 04:23 AM
Greg Eslinger.

The Moops
04-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Tony Lilly

Beantown Bronco
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Has Nate Webster's helmet been inducted yet?

Smiling Assassin27
04-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Bucky Dilts and Mike Horan go in as two halves of one actual punter. Mark it down.

B-Love
04-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Of the guys listed, Gradishar is the only guy with no flaws in his game. He wa a true 10 out of 10. Made every play on Defense. Best short yardage Linebacker in the game. Made more plays in the Offensive Backfield than any other 3-4 LB that I ever saw.

He also made plays on both sidelines, ran down receivers downfield, deflected passes 20 yards downfield. He truly did it all!!

B-Love
04-21-2011, 09:32 AM
I guess TD did not have flaws in his game but his shortened career will hinder his chances.

Mecklenburg made big plays and had a great name and tenure in Denver, but he was a liability in the Power Running game, and was a way below average Pass Defender.

Louie Wright was a great pass defender, but he had bad hands. If Louie held onto 30 of the easy 45 Interceptions he dropped, he might have the numbers to open the voters eyes. Woodson was no better than louie, but Woodson held onto most of his balls.

Steve Atwater remains the most overrated player in Broncos history, and one of the most overrated players in NFL history. He was a great player for the Broncos but people put him up on a mantel and think of him as a 10 out of 10. Steve Atwater was a 7.5 or maybe an 8 out of 10.

While trying to help with Randy Gradishar's Hall of Fame campaign, I was put into contact with others helping. There was a Pro Scouting service that used to rate all of the players around the league. 26 of the 32 NFL teams subscribed to this grading service. Anyway, Steve Atwater was in the bottom 20% of Starting NFL Safeties, in terms of pass coverage skills, during several of the seasons I reviewed.

I get bashed for this by people who consider Atwater the "Elway of Broncos Defense", but big hits in the run game and a memorable NFL Films miking inflated his reputation.

B-Love
04-21-2011, 09:39 AM
There is no game more appropriate to talk about this Steve Atwater myth than Super Bowl 32 itself. Most Broncos fans, especially the Atwater diehards think he played the greatest game ever by a Safety in SB history.

The truth is the coaching staff was not nearly as enamored with Atwater that day as most fams were. That game so defined what Atwater was, yet it just as much exposed his deficiencies.

He had terrible hands in the Passing game, as evidenced by his drop that allowed GB to tie the score after TD's fumble.

And what most poeple saw a crunching hits all day, the coaching staff saw as Atwater often being a step late and being forced to make a hit instead of a play on the ball.

I know a guy from NFL Films who said Broncos fans would be shocked if they heard what Shanahan had to say about Atwater after Antonio Freeman's first TD of the game. He blasted Atwater coming off the field, as to how he could not make a play on that ball with all the loft Favre put under it.

B-Love
04-21-2011, 09:41 AM
I loved what Atwater brought to the team and his hits and presence were huge, but the guy had very clear deficiencies to his game.

Don't forget that even before Training Camp 1998 started, Mike Shanahan had announced that Eric Brown would be splitting reps with Atwater at Free Safety. Again, Shanny was not nearly as enamored by Atwater's Super Bowl performance as the rest of us were.

razorwire77
04-21-2011, 09:47 AM
I understand the TD shortened career argument, but why is that never mentioned with Gale Sayers? Davis basically won every award that could be won in the NFL. NFL MVP, Superbowl MVP, NFL All-Pro. He did it in 5 years. Had he accomplished this in a Cowboy, Jet or Giant uniform, he would have undoubtably been a first ballot.

broncosteven
04-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I loved what Atwater brought to the team and his hits and presence were huge, but the guy had very clear deficiencies to his game.

Don't forget that even before Training Camp 1998 started, Mike Shanahan had announced that Eric Brown would be splitting reps with Atwater at Free Safety. Again, Shanny was not nearly as enamored by Atwater's Super Bowl performance as the rest of us were.

I agree about the Atwater love because of his hits but by the SB years he was at the end of his career.

I agree that Atwater was burned on that 1st TD of SB XXXII and may have been late to a few plays possibly including the 2nd to last play of the game but he was far from the weakest link on D the following year.

I understand why Shanny let him go to the Jets in 1999 but he was still better over the hill than Brown ever was. I remember Eric Brown for the KFC game he cost us, I think it was 2001ish.

The Moops
04-21-2011, 11:39 AM
To me, Billy Thompson was the Broncos greatest safety.

He started at corner as a rookie and played solidly for 4 seasons, but it wasn't until he moved to strong safety in 1973 that his game really took off. When he retired he had played more years and more games than any Bronco and was the team's all-time interception leader with 40 (3 for TDs) and fumble recoveries with 21 (an NFL record 4 TDs at the time of his retirement, a mark that stood for 20 years). He also remains the only player in NFL history to lead the league in punt and kickoff returns in the same season! In fact for 7 years, between Floyd Little and Rick Upchurch, Thompson was the Broncos return ace.

He's the most versatile defensive back of his era. He could cover and he definitely could lay the wood when it came to supporting the run game.

A 3-time Pro Bowler (2 fist-team All-Pro), Thompson was one of the main cogs of the Orange Crush defense.

broncosteven
04-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I understand the TD shortened career argument, but why is that never mentioned with Gale Sayers? Davis basically won every award that could be won in the NFL. NFL MVP, Superbowl MVP, NFL All-Pro. He did it in 5 years. Had he accomplished this in a Cowboy, Jet or Giant uniform, he would have undoubtably been a first ballot.

That is my argument also, plus only 1 of a hand full of RB's to go over 2000 yards in one year, before that he had seasons of 1100, 1500, 1700 yards rushing and could take over games in the 4th quarter. Had he been hurt on a non-freak injury I could see the arguement that he could not sustain the pace but he was hurt making a tackle on an INT not blowing his knee out like Jamall Anderson did on a juke move.

broncosteven
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
To me, Billy Thompson was the Broncos greatest safety.

He started at corner as a rookie and played solidly for 4 seasons, but it wasn't until he moved to strong safety in 1973 that his game really took off. When he retired he had played more years and more games than any Bronco and was the team's all-time interception leader with 40 (3 for TDs) and fumble recoveries with 21 (an NFL record 4 TDs at the time of his retirement, a mark that stood for 20 years). He also remains the only player in NFL history to lead the league in punt and kickoff returns in the same season! In fact for 7 years, between Floyd Little and Rick Upchurch, Thompson was the Broncos return ace.

He's the most versatile defensive back of his era. He could cover and he definitely could lay the wood when it came to supporting the run game.

A 3-time Pro Bowler (2 fist-team All-Pro), Thompson was one of the main cogs of the Orange Crush defense.

Great take.

To this day I think that Bernard Pollard was the last piece of the puzzle that completed the Orange crush D but Billy was the main cog of that secondary for over a Decade.

I am honored to know I saw his last game in 1981 vs duh Bears.

The Moops
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Also, must give some love to 2 legendary Broncos.

Lionel Taylor: led the league in receptions 5 times in 6 seasons, including putting up four 1,000-yard seasons. First professional player in any league to notch 100 receptions in a season.

Goose Gonsoulin: Led AFL in interceptions as a rookie with 11. Picked off 43 passes (sorry Billy, my bad, Goose had more interceptions) in first 6 seasons.

gunns
04-21-2011, 03:40 PM
And Rod played 24 more games than Irvin and still didn't surpass his receiving yardage, also took Rod nearly 100 more catches to get to that total.

15.9 ypc v 13.4

The only reason Irvin is in and Smith probably won't be is because Irvin was on the Cowboys and Smith was on the Broncos and also didn't have the mouth Irvin did. Those stats are very similar, for the same amount of years, and if onus is put yards, which is ridiculous, instead of TD's, it's to make an argument for the Cowboy instead of the Bronco. THAT'S the HOF.

The Moops
04-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Surprised and disappointed that Louie Wright is getting zero votes. He was a shutdown corner and made the 1970s All-Decade team. A main reason why the Orange Crush defense was so great. Just like Champ Bailey, few QBs ever tried throwing to Wright's side.