PDA

View Full Version : To All You Pro Picture Takers...I Need A Camera.

GreatBronco16
04-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Ok, so my boy is playing baseball this year, and I need a good (but affordable) camera. The little point and shoot camera I have takes terrible pictures at the ballpark at night. I want to be able to get some good pictures without the blur. I have been looking at the Nikon Coolpix L120 14.1 Megapixel, but I'm not sure if that will be good enough.

Give me some ideas guys. My budget is going to be no higher than $400 dollars.

Thanks.

TheReverend
04-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Certainly no expert, but these days even cell phones have great picture clarity at 5 megapixels, so I can't imagine 14.1 would be insufficient.

In to find out more information from people who know wtf they're talking about though.

GreatBronco16
04-17-2011, 10:40 AM
See, I want to be able to get shots of the batter right as he makes contact with the ball, and the picture not have a blur in it. High action shots I guess you would call it, along with great non action shots.

I used my droid phone camera the other night too, but the pictures had way too much blur in them.

JJG
04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Im no expert, but its going to be really hard to get good action shots at night and no blur with a point and shoot. An entry level DSLR is probably the only way to go. with a $400 budget your a couple hundred short, but you might be able to find a used one. I don't own one, but I use a Nikon D5000 from time to time, and I would buy one in a heart beat if it were in my budget

Boobs McGee
04-17-2011, 10:56 AM
A great resource for you to check out is www.steves-digicams.com

Goes through a TON of cameras, and has pictures you can actually compare and contrast for each one. Wealth of information at this site.

I've used this one before (I'm a complete novice, but just got to shoot around with it at a football game), and it was pretty sweet... http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/olympus/sp-800-uz/olympus-sp-800uz-review.html

anywho, check the site out

TheReverend
04-17-2011, 10:58 AM
See, I want to be able to get shots of the batter right as he makes contact with the ball, and the picture not have a blur in it. High action shots I guess you would call it, along with great non action shots.

I used my droid phone camera the other night too, but the pictures had way too much blur in them.

I quick googled "camera no blur action shot" and this forum specifically dedicated to reviewing digital cameras came up, and the OP in this thread seems to have the same concerns and general budget as you.

Maybe that helps?

http://forum.digitalcamerareview.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/19180-frustrated-blurry-grainy-action-shots-help.html

That One Guy
04-17-2011, 11:28 AM
If you're just wanting good pictures, there's a range of cameras in the $350 range (I want to say maybe the coolpix is in it?) that have insane zooms and don't seem bad. My mom's too lazy to use a DSLR and too cheap to buy lenses so she went with one of them and she's quite pleased.

If you're wanting to be able to print pictures, though, my wife's DSLR (Sony A390?)that we got was only like $600 with two lenses and she absolutey loves it. I think you could get the body and one lens for under $500. It's a world apart from the others we've used in the past.

GreatBronco16
04-17-2011, 11:34 AM
Ok, I'm looking at the Canon PowerShot SX30IS. I can get it for $399 at hhGregg, and there just happens to be one about 60 miles from me over in Georgia.

I'm going to do a little more research on it, but if anyone has used this camera in an outdoor night setting, say like at the ball park, let me know. This camera looks to be pretty damn good.

Thanks for the links too. They were very helpfull.

meangene
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
I have a little side photography business and website. Most of the time I use an Olympus SP-800UZ which is 14 megapixel with 30 X optical zoom. It is easy to use and gives you all the settings you could ever need for what you want. I got it at Best Buy. They have some real nice refurbished cameras which are good deals with all the regular warranties. If you have any kind of decent editing program, what you capture with the camera can be altered to what you want. Half the time, I don't even know what I've really captured until I see it on the computer and start editing! Btw, 14 megapixels will allow you to print photos larger than you will ever need without distortion. I use a website to print photos beyond a certain size.

meangene
04-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Ok, I'm looking at the Canon PowerShot SX30IS. I can get it for $399 at hhGregg, and there just happens to be one about 60 miles from me over in Georgia.

I'm going to do a little more research on it, but if anyone has used this camera in an outdoor night setting, say like at the ball park, let me know. This camera looks to be pretty damn good.

From what I understand, that camera gets a little blurry at higher speeds which you will want for the action photos.

GreatBronco16
04-17-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm not good with the whole pic edit thing. I've tried, but it just isn't something I'm good at.

I've been reading a lot of reviews on that camera, and so far, it seems to be the best reviewed one I've seen so far.

The camera will be used for a lot more than action shots, and I should have stated that earlier, but I also want it to take good pictures of my sons baseball games.

Thanks for all the help so far.

meangene
04-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Here is a good site:

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/

Chris
04-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Check out cnet.

jutang
04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
dpreview and steve's digicams were my main resources when I was researching for a camera. Both sites are great in giving detailed reviews on all types of cameras.

Broncobiv
04-17-2011, 05:07 PM

I was going to reply and suggest this camera to you when I read all of the posts first.

I bought this camera for my wife this Christmas. We love it! We haven't used it too much for action-shots, but we did take it to the ballpark for some Spring Training. It did a good job at capturing running players at high-zoom from the outfield. The zoom, BTW, is AMAZING!

I'm no camera aficionado, but understanding your price range and also owning that camera myself, I'd definitely think hard about purchasing the SX30IS.

jmz313
04-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Fast Action sport photos under the lights are about as difficult as it gets. Even pro level bodies and fast lens costing 10k can give you sub par results under some random high school's lights. Your BEST bet is buying an entry level dslr from nikon or canon and learning to get the most outta it. Your probably not going to be getting tack sharp ball meeting bat pics at night until your son is playing under mlb lights though. But daytime you can def get that result.

I suggest nikon and canon since they have the largest used lens market, and youmcan almost always find someone with one to show you something or borrow a lens.

Check out keh.com for used bodies and lens. Bhphotovideo.com for new. Bh sells used as well. Fredmiranda.com for great forums to learn a ton.

Missouribronc
04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
As long as its daytime, any SLR camera is going to do a fine job, $400-500, and maybe a 55-200 lens for $200, and you'll be gravy. Once the lights come on at the stadium, and the sun goes down, though, you'll have some trouble.

ZachKC
04-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Fast Action sport photos under the lights are about as difficult as it gets. Even pro level bodies and fast lens costing 10k can give you sub par results under some random high school's lights. Your BEST bet is buying an entry level dslr from nikon or canon and learning to get the most outta it. Your probably not going to be getting tack sharp ball meeting bat pics at night until your son is playing under mlb lights though. But daytime you can def get that result.

I suggest nikon and canon since they have the largest used lens market, and youmcan almost always find someone with one to show you something or borrow a lens.

Check out keh.com for used bodies and lens. Bhphotovideo.com for new. Bh sells used as well. Fredmiranda.com for great forums to learn a ton.
Yup.

GreatBronco16
04-17-2011, 09:12 PM

Understand completly. Thanks for your advice too.

I think I'm going to go with the Canon PowerShot SX30IS. I like the reviews and think it will be great for the family. Thanks for everyones input, it is greatly appreciated.

bronco militia
04-17-2011, 09:23 PM
save your money and learn how to use a camera and take a picture

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/outdoor-activities/adventure-photography/how-to-take-action-photos.htm

broncosteven
04-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Could that be considered a "Money Shot"?

GreatBronco16
04-22-2011, 03:36 PM
I ended up getting the Nikon D3100. Was able to get a nice discount on it too. So far, I'm very pleased with it. The pictures are great.

Took it to my sons game last night, and he went 3-3 with a walk. First at bat, hit the first pitch 224 feet to center field. 1 more foot and it would have been over the fence. Not knowing how to work the camera yet hurt me a little. I got his swing, but it was just after he hit it. Had I known he was going to do what he did, I would have just took a video of it. LOL.

Thanks again for all the help guys. Here is a link to the pic. The white blur in the middle of the screen, I'm not sure if that was the ball or not, but that is pretty much where he hit it to center. He got a triple out of it only because he thought he hit it out and was doing his HR trot around the bases.

http://i54.tinypic.com/e7y07k.jpg

GoBroncos DownUnder
04-22-2011, 07:49 PM
Either Nikon or Canon are your best bet if you don't want to spend big bucks on a modern SLR.

I spent 3 years specializing in photoshop, working directly with some "decent" ;) photographers, and unless you're going to really "get crazy" about your camera, you're better to stick with the better brands!

Now you have it, it's up to you read as much of the manual as you can and to practice using it! That field looks like a decent place to try using different settings on the camera, ... try to avoid the "auto" setting, because it's always going to fluctuate based on what the lens sees. If you work on getting the settings right for that venue, the pics you get will be awesome! ;D

GreatBronco16
04-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Now you have it, it's up to you read as much of the manual as you can and to practice using it! That field looks like a decent place to try using different settings on the camera, ... try to avoid the "auto" setting, because it's always going to fluctuate based on what the lens sees. If you work on getting the settings right for that venue, the pics you get will be awesome! ;D

Yeah, I had to use the auto settings that night. I left work, went to best buy, got home, had about 20 mins to charge the battery, then off to the ball park. I took a lot of pics today out fishing and just around the house. I'm getting better.