PDA

View Full Version : Redskins trying "like crazy" to trade up for a QB

tsiguy96
04-15-2011, 01:34 PM
John McClain of the Houston Chronicle hears the Redskins are "trying like crazy" to trade up for one of this year's elite quarterbacks.
Unless the Skins offer most, if not all, of their 2012 draft class (picks from which will be severely devalued because no one even knows if there will be a 2012 draft), we have a hard time believing Mike Shanahan can execute a trade up. They don't have a third- or fourth-round pick this year. McClain believes that the Redskins are targeting Missouri's Blaine Gabbert.

from roto. the only way shanahan for sure gets gabbert is if he moves to #2. he can and might be gone at #3 to the bills, so there is a good chance we can move back if we wanted to. might get this years first, next years first and this years 2nd maybe? this is all assuming carolina takes newton, which while likely is not a foregone conclusion.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Why don't you link to the Houston Chronicle for the actual article?

A 1, 2, 1 is what they should ask Arizona for, Wash needs to throw in more than that if Denver is dropping all the way down to 10.

bronco militia
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm not buying it.....this year class of QB's is very underwhelming

oubronco
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
They'll be crappy next year and in the hunt for Luck

broncocalijohn
04-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Trade back and collect at will. But, do we want to go that far back?

BMarsh615
04-15-2011, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't want to drop all the way to 10.

tsiguy96
04-15-2011, 01:41 PM

A 1, 2, 1 is what they should ask Arizona for, Wash needs to throw in more than that if Denver is dropping all the way down to 10.

jets moved up last year (or year before? i forget) for a frickin bargain to the browns #5

colonelbeef
04-15-2011, 02:11 PM
The Bills like Fitzpatrick and rightfully so, no way they give up on him and draft another QB.

jhns
04-15-2011, 02:17 PM
They are too far down. This team never gets the chance to pick in the top ten, let alone get the best defensive prospect in the draft. It would be a shame to waste the one time we do.

tsiguy96
04-15-2011, 02:18 PM
They are too far down. This team never gets the chance to pick in the top ten, let alone get the best defensive prospect in the draft. It would be a shame to waste the one time we do.

most of the time i would agree, but if this team can get multiple 1sts and more for this pick, its worth it. its not like dareus is on suh's level when he came out...

Houshyamama
04-15-2011, 02:19 PM

I don't know how much it would take for Washington to move up and I don't know exactly what they still have, but to trade up from 10 it should be something like:

2011 1st (obviously)
2011 2nd
2012 1st
2012 2nd
2012 3rd

titan
04-15-2011, 02:37 PM
There's a good chance Bowers will be there at #10. If the Broncos think his knee is ok (which is causing him to drop) then they could still get a player originally projected to go in the top 5 and a bunch of other picks, too. From what I read Bowers is a great fit at defensive end for the type of defense Fox likes to run.

The Broncos are doing their homework with Bowers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/26034/broncos-get-close-look-at-bowers-knee

bowtown
04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
There's a good chance Bowers will be there at #10. If the Broncos think his knee is ok (which is causing him to drop) then they could still get a player originally projected to go in the top 5 and a bunch of other picks, too. From what I read Bowers is a great fit at defensive end for the type of defense Fox likes to run.

The Broncos are doing their homework with Bowers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/26034/broncos-get-close-look-at-bowers-knee

Great... I love it when we use our 1st round picks on guys with injury question marks. It always works out so well for us.

razorwire77
04-15-2011, 02:54 PM
If his knee does check out, Bowers would be an absolute steal at 10. Washington would have to pony up a **** ton of picks to move up to 2 though.

R8R H8R
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
[QUOTE=BMarsh615;3157949]I wouldn't want to drop all the way to 10.[/QUOTE)

I wouldn't either, but it can be done with a 3 way trade.

If the Skins can figure out how to move up to the #6 spot w/ the Browns, giving them next year's picks(they only need 300 points), then they can offer us thier #6 + their 2nd + next yrs 1st.

I would be happy with that and then draft BPA w/ the #6.

SpringStein
04-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Or if we moved down to 6 or 7, then it gets in range to trade with the Skins...

bowtown
04-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Or if we moved down to 6 or 7, then it gets in range to trade with the Skins...

But then what's their incentive? Gabbert and Newton will probably both be gone by then.

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2011, 03:36 PM
The Redskins are poised to make a monumental mistake if they trade away their future for any of the QBs in this draft. That being said, Xanders/Elway better be the Skins bff and make something happen...

underrated29
04-15-2011, 03:58 PM
1. dareus
2. Fairley
3. Gabbert
4. newton
5. Von Miller
6. Peterson
7. AJ Green
8. OT Tyron (or whatever his name is)
9. Richard Quinn
10. BRONCOS can choose from-

Prince, Bowers, watt, Jordan, Luiget, Julio, cam jordan, kerrigan, ayers, pouncey...

while still getting another 2nd this year and more, plus probably a 1st and 2nd next year.....

I would be more than happy with that.

Give me Prince or Bowers or Watt and in rd 2 we have 3 sexy picks to go DT, DT, DT or a LB in there.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-15-2011, 04:06 PM
Too low for my tastes

Finger Roll
04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
1. dareus
2. Fairley
3. Gabbert
4. newton
5. Von Miller
6. Peterson
7. AJ Green
9. Richard Quinn

Prince, Bowers, watt, Jordan, Luiget, Julio, cam jordan, kerrigan, ayers, pouncey...

while still getting another 2nd this year and more, plus probably a 1st and 2nd next year.....

Give me Prince or Bowers or Watt and in rd 2 we have 3 sexy picks to go DT, DT, DT or a LB in there.

Watt is a poor fit in a 4-3 and Bowers has Knee issues. Prince Would be a nice pick though

Tombstone RJ
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
1. dareus
2. Fairley
3. Gabbert
4. newton
5. Von Miller
6. Peterson
7. AJ Green
9. Richard Quinn

The Broncos would have to go with a guy like Bowers or Luiget. Bowers is falling like a rock in many mock drafts due to his work out and his knee situation. Taking him at 10 is a huge boom or bust proposition. I'm just happy Fox is in the decision making process on this pick...

BroncoInferno
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Too low for my tastes

Yeah, I think 7 is about as low as I would go. Fairley will probably still be there, and there is an outside chance that Peterson and/or Dareus could be available as well. Not very likely that any of the three are still there at 10. MAYBE Fairley if the smear campaign against him has really entrenched itself, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

underrated29
04-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I think 7 is about as low as I would go. Fairley will probably still be there, and there is an outside chance that Peterson and/or Dareus could be available as well. Not very likely that any of the three are still there at 10. MAYBE Fairley if the smear campaign against him has really entrenched itself, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

That is my ultimate scenario. Actually trading with AZ is, but I do not think they do it. San Fran trades up for QB, we rape them of picks this year and next. Still all the while having a Great shot at Fairley.

elsid13
04-15-2011, 04:15 PM
AT this point I think there is more smoke then truth to any rumors that we hear.

OBF1
04-15-2011, 04:24 PM
1. dareus
2. Fairley
3. Gabbert
4. newton
5. Von Miller
6. Peterson
7. AJ Green
9. Richard Quinn

If you ever mention Pouncey again, I will throw up on you.

underrated29
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
If you ever mention Pouncey again, I will throw up on you.

Hes a better Center than his brother is. Not that we need one because I personally love JD, but value is value.

OBF1
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Hes a better Center than his brother is. Not that we need one because I personally love JD, but value is value.

BULL SH IT

I have watched every Gator game the past 5 season+ He is not better than his brother, not even close. Maurkice won the remington award as the best college center, Mike was a freekin nightmare with all of his piss poor snaps and mistakes he made all season long, He hardly improved during the course of the season.

Maurkice was a 3 year starter at center while Mike played right gaurd for the same 3 seasons before being moved to center this past year. Go watch game 1 of the season vs Florida Atlantic and watch the sinking of the titantic called Mike Pouncey.

underrated29
04-15-2011, 04:34 PM
BULL SH IT

I have watched every Gator game the past 5 season+ He is not better than his brother, not even close. Maurkice won the remington award as the best college center, Mike was a freekin nightmare with all of his piss poor snaps and mistakes he made all season long, He hardly improved during the course of the season.

Maurkice was a 3 year starter at center while Mike played right gaurd for the same 3 seasons before being moved to center this past year. Go watch game 1 of the season vs Florida Atlantic and watch the sinking of the titantic called Mike Pouncey.

Nope, nope you are right. I got which one was the Guard and Center mixed up. However, he is a good guard. But we need an ORT- 10 is too high for a G.

OBF1
04-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Nope, nope you are right. I got which one was the Guard and Center mixed up. However, he is a good guard. But we need an ORT- 10 is too high for a G.

Now you got it right. Mike might be the best pulling guard in the draft.

FireFly
04-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I almost guarantee that this is just a smokescreen, I do not believe that the Redskins are coming up to #2

underrated29
04-15-2011, 05:13 PM
I almost guarantee that this is just a smokescreen, I do not believe that the Redskins are coming up to #2

While I tend to agree with you as it seems pretty impossible for them. Just keep in mind that Shanny had a deal in place with the raiders to basically more or less trade our ENTIRE draft to move up to #3? or wherever to get Calvin Johnson.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-15-2011, 05:14 PM
While I tend to agree with you as it seems pretty impossible for them. Just keep in mind that Shanny had a deal in place with the raiders to basically more or less trade our ENTIRE draft to move up to #3? or wherever to get Calvin Johnson.

This happened?

HAT
04-15-2011, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=BMarsh615;3157949]I wouldn't want to drop all the way to 10.[/QUOTE)

I wouldn't either, but it can be done with a 3 way trade.

If the Skins can figure out how to move up to the #6 spot w/ the Browns, giving them next year's picks(they only need 300 points), then they can offer us thier #6 + their 2nd + next yrs 1st.

I would be happy with that and then draft BPA w/ the #6.

I like the way you think sir...

Wash/Clev.....2011 #10 + 2012 2nd for 2011#6
Wash/Denver....2011 #6 + 2011 #41 + 2012 1st for 2011 #2

The incentive is there for everyone....

Washington gets Gabbert.

Denver gets their choice of Miller, Peterson, Dareus or Fairley, the flexibility of three 2nd round picks and likely a top ten pick next year.

Cleveland picks up an extra 2nd rounder and still gets the WR they need...Green or Jones.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Green might not last to 6, he won't be there at 10

underrated29
04-15-2011, 06:51 PM
This happened?

yeah, you dont remember that? He had everything in place contingent on CJ being available or whatever. I do not remember the exact details as it was what 3 or 4 drafts ago. There is an interview somewhere about it.

WolfpackGuy
04-15-2011, 07:13 PM

I do remember that rumor floating around for a hot minute.

Sorry Ryan Harris, but you and your draft mates (Moss, Crowder, and Thomas) do not even come close to Calvin Johnson...

If the Lions hadn't been trying to corner the WR market under Millen, that deal probably would've gone through.

yerner
04-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I do remember that rumor floating around for a hot minute.

Sorry Ryan Harris, but you and your draft mates (Moss, Crowder, and Thomas) do not even come close to Calvin Johnson...

If the Lions hadn't been trying to corner the WR market under Millen, that deal probably would've gone through.

Damn. That would have been awesome. Megatron.

ColoradoDarin
04-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Yes, make Buffalo scared that they will get leapfrogged! Pony up Bills, we need a 2 & a 3 (and maybe a future pick or two) to move down that one spot so the Skins don't take your QB

WolfpackGuy
04-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Damn. That would have been awesome. Megatron.

I know, right?

Marshalltron (and Walker) would've been unstoppable.

Also makes you wonder why they signed Travis Henry when a similar play could've been made to move up to get Peterson.

yerner
04-15-2011, 07:41 PM
I know, right?

Also makes you wonder why they signed Travis Henry when a similar play could've been made to move up to get Peterson.

I think it makes a good argument for staying in the 2 spot. Those top 5 type players can be better than whole drafts.

****, could you imagine Marshall and Calvin? Sick.

Dedhed
04-15-2011, 08:20 PM

More reason for one guy to be a target.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-15-2011, 08:22 PM

This is especially true because the 'skins don't have enough picks to make it worth our time, unless they offer us their pick at #10, their second, third, and next year's first....which doesn't actually sound bad because they'll probably stink this year wether or not they have a QB.

ICON
04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
In all, Shanahan wound up with 111 draft picks over the 14 seasons, or almost two extra drafts worth of selections. And the extra picks were not all later-round selections.

Shanahan’s does not like to trade away picks .

underrated29
04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
In all, Shanahan wound up with 111 draft picks over the 14 seasons, or almost two extra drafts worth of selections. And the extra picks were not all later-round selections.

Shanahan’s does not like to trade away picks .

You need to post more often.

I love google.

Mjolnir
04-15-2011, 09:50 PM

^^This.^^

If the Broncos trade with anyone, it will be Arizona looking to leapfrog Buffalo for Von Miller.

Great13
04-15-2011, 09:55 PM
^^This.^^

If the Broncos trade with anyone, it will be Arizona looking to leapfrog Buffalo for Von Miller.

Then buffalo takes dareus and we are stuck with Peterson. DO NOT WANT.

bowtown
04-15-2011, 09:57 PM
I know, right?

Yeah, I wish we could always go back in time and trade up to pick the players that turn out to be the best in the draft. That would be awesome. Maybe we could even have had...

ED REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !11

bronco militia
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
yeah, megatron was going to be a bronco but the the lions changed their mind the day before the draft....

In 2007, Denver offered two first-round picks, a second-rounder and two third-rounders, plus veteran linebacker Al Wilson to the Detriot Lions for their 2nd overall pick. Detroit declined and drafted the player the Broncos were in love with, wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nfl-analysis-broncos-continue-to-seek-out-quarterback-options/follow_ups

bowtown
04-15-2011, 10:04 PM
yeah, megatron was going to be a bronco but the the lions changed their mind the day before the draft....

In 2007, Denver offered two first-round picks, a second-rounder and two third-rounders, plus veteran linebacker Al Wilson to the Detriot Lions for their 2nd overall pick. Detroit declined and drafted the player the Broncos were in love with, wide receiver Calvin Johnson.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nfl-analysis-broncos-continue-to-seek-out-quarterback-options/follow_ups

Can you even imagine the meltdown that would have happened around here?

bronco militia
04-15-2011, 10:10 PM
al wilson would not have passed the lions physical, so It was probably doomed from the start

Ray Finkle
04-15-2011, 10:10 PM
If DC offered their 1st and 2nd this year and Chris Cooley, would anyone bite?

bowtown
04-15-2011, 10:13 PM

Yes but I'd want a 2nd-3rd next year as well.

NFLBRONCO
04-15-2011, 10:13 PM

#10 2nd and 2012 #1 deal

JoRo
04-15-2011, 10:28 PM

Knowing what those picks became.... that breaks my heart. Not often Millen's Lions did that to anyone (not counting their fan)

Finger Roll
04-15-2011, 11:25 PM

We wouldn't have Clady now if we made that trade. If that other first was the 2008 one

DarkHorse
04-16-2011, 12:10 AM
We wouldn't have Clady now if we made that trade. If that other first was the 2008 one

But we now have a left handed QB :afro:

Hercules Rockefeller
04-16-2011, 08:00 AM

Can't trade players with the llockout going on

If they could, no. Like Cooley a lot, but a 28-year old H-back is not what I'd want as part of the package for the 2nd overall. Denver's rebuilding, they need picks or young players (if they could be traded), not vets that are pushing 30.

Tombstone RJ
04-16-2011, 10:06 AM

wow, just wow.

How stupid was Millen?

*WARHORSE*
04-16-2011, 05:15 PM
^^This.^^

If that happened, we would gain Arizonas first this year, a first next year and a fourth this year.

OR, it would take their first, second, third and fourth this year.

Cam gone at 1.

Von Miller at 2.

Gabber to Buff at 3.

Cincy would take Dareus/Fairley/Green at four.

We would have our pick at 5.

tsiguy96
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
If that happened, we would gain Arizonas first this year, a first next year and a fourth this year.

OR, it would take their first, second, third and fourth this year.

Cam gone at 1.

Von Miller at 2.

Gabber to Buff at 3.

Cincy would take Dareus/Fairley/Green at four.

We would have our pick at 5.

no way arizona gives up a 2nd 1st round pick to move up in the draft.