PDA

View Full Version : OT: Best Banks?

Requiem
04-13-2011, 07:22 PM
After years of going through a credit union, I was wondering what bank(s) are the best to go with these days as I'm in the process of getting a new account to transfer everything I got. Thanks.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Why are you transferring out of a credit union? For most transactions, I get a significantly better deal with my credit union. I only wish I could get my construction loan / mortgage through my credit union on my new house.

Requiem
04-13-2011, 07:31 PM
Why are you transferring out of a credit union? For most transactions, I get a significantly better deal with my credit union. I only wish I could get my construction loan / mortgage through my credit union on my new house.

I'm going to keep the account open, but my credit union is based back in SD and I work in ND, so my addresses are all different on my checks back there and it doesn't jive with where I'm living/moving to now and will be in the future.

I just want to open up a bank account to see what they have to offer, and so I can stop getting punked with ATM fees. Get charged 2.50-4.00 bucks each time I withdraw, and I hate that.

Just trying to get something that will be more beneficial for down the road.

tsiguy96
04-13-2011, 07:34 PM
chase is really good...they have ATMs frickin everywhere including every walgreens and they offer a lot of stuff. very convenient bank.

Dr. Broncenstein
04-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I'd walk if my bank / credit union charged that kind of fee. I generally prefer the ATM charge to be around zero to free.

Requiem
04-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Obviously.

Mogulseeker
04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Navy Federal

bowtown
04-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Charles Schwab. It's online and you have to tie to a brokerage account but they pay all ATM fees, have great customer service and offer really good international transaction fees.

That One Guy
04-13-2011, 07:54 PM
Charles Schwab. It's online and you have to tie to a brokerage account but they pay all ATM fees, have great customer service and offer really good international transaction fees.

I have USAA and the online BS kills me. Sometimes I want to choke someone out but don't know where they're located. You have to have a credit card with them to scan checks, you have to call them if you want to take out more than $300 in a day or take it out in $300 chunks ahead of time. It can all be a hassle sometimes. I wish I had the stability for a physical bank.

Requiem
04-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Not interested in online only.

bowtown
04-13-2011, 08:02 PM
I have USAA and the online BS kills me. Sometimes I want to choke someone out but don't know where they're located. You have to have a credit card with them to scan checks, you have to call them if you want to take out more than $300 in a day or take it out in $300 chunks ahead of time. It can all be a hassle sometimes. I wish I had the stability for a physical bank.

Schwab is nothing like that. I can take out as much as I want. When I run out of deposit envelopes they send me more (all stamped and paid). Every month they show me a statement of how much they have reimbursed me in ATM charges. Plus I get interest (small amount obviously these days) on my checking account. Again, the catch is that you have to tie it to a brokerage account with them.

bowtown
04-13-2011, 08:04 PM

Well I also have an account with Citibank and there are times when I'd love to go in there with a machete and just clear the place... so whatever gets you through I guess.

TheReverend
04-13-2011, 08:11 PM
I use Bank of America strictly because they're everywhere and I like the keep the change program.

I always transfer out the bulk of my money to my investment account though, and would recommend anyone do the same, so choice of bank is pretty inconsequential, at least in my opinion.

Mogulseeker
04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
What major bank did not receive/got the least amount of bailout money?

mhgaffney
04-13-2011, 08:40 PM
chase is really good...they have ATMs frickin everywhere including every walgreens and they offer a lot of stuff. very convenient bank.

Chase? Are you kidding?

Recently I saw a photo of David Rockefeller with a caption that read:

"This man does not watch television..."

You dig?

mhgaffney
04-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Try US Bank.

strafen
04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
US Bank. I hate Chase.

Tim
04-13-2011, 08:50 PM
US bank sucks

Requiem
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I've been thinking U.S. Bank or Wells Fargo, just because they are everywhere.

Boobs McGee
04-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Just a suggestion...I currently use (and love) Bellco credit union. Not sure if you have any where YOU are, but, check and see if your current credit union is linked up with the others in your area. For instance, I know with Bellco, I can deposit/withdraw money at a TON of other cu's throughout the country without penalty, and vice versa. Also, any CO-OP or Moneypass atm's countrywide are free...so if you're near a 7-11 you're all good. There are over 30,000 free atm's countrywide in that regard, not to mention any non member can use a bellco atm without charge as well.

Check into it

Dudeskey
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Just a suggestion...I currently use (and love) Bellco credit union. Not sure if you have any where YOU are, but, check and see if your current credit union is linked up with the others in your area. For instance, I know with Bellco, I can deposit/withdraw money at a TON of other cu's throughout the country without penalty, and vice versa. Also, any CO-OP or Moneypass atm's countrywide are free...so if you're near a 7-11 you're all good. There are over 30,000 free atm's countrywide in that regard, not to mention any non member can use a bellco atm without charge as well.

Check into it

That is the cool thing about them. Bellco's partnered w/ a credit union I deal with out of state, was glad to find out they do this.

HAT
04-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Banks are evil...Abolish the Fed & let's turn the OM into a political board......America, **** YEAH!

ghwk
04-14-2011, 06:05 AM
I keep my money under my matress and in a metal box buried in the backyard.

bowtown
04-14-2011, 06:09 AM
I keep my money under my matress and in a metal box buried in the backyard.

At least your portfolio is diversified.

tsiguy96
04-14-2011, 06:11 AM
Chase? Are you kidding?

Recently I saw a photo of David Rockefeller with a caption that read:

"This man does not watch television..."

You dig?

no, i dont. chase is badass and works perfect for me.

RhymesayersDU
04-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Wells Fargo has always done right by me, and they're everywhere.

gunns
04-14-2011, 06:29 AM
I've been thinking U.S. Bank or Wells Fargo, just because they are everywhere.

Not Wells Fargo. I've known several people that have dropped them like a hot potato, don't know all of the reasons but these are responsible people. Plus my own situation where my son's wife was treated horribly immediately after my son went to Afghanistan on the return of a truck, a legitimate transaction. They were also involved in foreclosing on military homes for deployed personnel which was illegal.

For my personal accounts I just transferred from a bank to a credit union and absolutely love it. Have my car financed through a credit union. Mortgage is through a local bank and am not terribly impressed.

ColoradoDarin
04-14-2011, 06:30 AM
I use Bank of America strictly because they're everywhere and I like the keep the change program.

I always transfer out the bulk of my money to my investment account though, and would recommend anyone do the same, so choice of bank is pretty inconsequential, at least in my opinion.

BofA for my main checking, but I use other online savings for higher interest rates.

Beantown Bronco
04-14-2011, 06:31 AM
I love TD Bank, but apparently they're only up and down the east coast. So I suggest you move.

ghwk
04-14-2011, 07:08 AM
At least your portfolio is diversified.

I get about the same interest rate as banks are giving too.

MrPeepers
04-14-2011, 07:32 AM
i work for wells... so with that...

all big banks are similar, it's just the rules you have to play by and the people that help you. I've been here 5 years. I'm a little turned off by all the sales cultures in banks, but Wells is rock solid for stability. good luck.

all wells accounts just changed last week in Arizona, may be different in your area. wherever you go to open an account. just point blankly ask, "What must I do to avoid fees." should keep you happy.

Cito Pelon
04-14-2011, 07:59 AM
IMO, probably Ernie Banks.

Pony Boy
04-14-2011, 09:04 AM
I will ask my wife she keeps me on a "need to know" basis and tells me I don't "need to know" where our money is......

TonyR
04-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Before you rule out "online only" I strongly suggest you take a look at ING Direct, particular their Electric Orange checking.

http://home.ingdirect.com/products/products.asp?s=ElectricOrange

Man-Goblin
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pg4D94YDKqI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

baja
04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Best Banks? Your mattress.

baja
04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I need a bank with free ATM usage.

garandman
04-14-2011, 05:48 PM
I work for Wells Fargo as well so I'm bias, I would be happy to open your account!

STBumpkin
04-14-2011, 07:57 PM

I have USAA and love them. Their credit card rates are better than most others, so I am fine with the necessity of having a credit card with them (our only card, BTW). They also handle our mortgage, car and home insurance, checking and savings. We have gotten better rates on our mortgages through them than the others we extensively researched. The only drawback with USAA is that they don't have a physical banking location, it is all online. This has never been an issue as their online processes are very easy.

P.S. You might have to be a veteran or vet dependent to use USAA.

baja
04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I have USAA and love them. Their credit card rates are better than most others, so I am fine with the necessity of having a credit card with them (our only card, BTW). They also handle our mortgage, car and home insurance, checking and savings. We have gotten better rates on our mortgages through them than the others we extensively researched. The only drawback with USAA is that they don't have a physical banking location, it is all online. This has never been an issue as their online processes are very easy.

P.S. You might have to be a veteran or vet dependent to use USAA.

What kind of fees do you pay when you use an ATM from a different bank?