PDA

View Full Version : OT: Game of Thrones Major Spoiler Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Kaylore
04-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Has anyone read the books? I saw the teaser clip for the new HBO mini-series and haven't read a book in many months and wanted to get back to reading.

The link is here
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones?cmpid=ABC794

I've heard it's one of the most well-written fantasy series out there. I like Sean Bean too, even if he's looking chubby in this.

Quoydogs
04-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Has anyone read the books? I saw the teaser clip for the new HBO mini-series and haven't read a book in many months and wanted to get back to reading.

The link is here

I've heard it's one of the most well-written fantasy series out there. I like Sean Bean too, even if he's looking chubby in this.

I watched the teaser looks pretty good. I think it starts next Sunday.

Chris
04-13-2011, 01:22 PM
My bro and I were wondering about this show. Looks interesting. Normally I'd pass this off as some Xena Warrior Princess C grade schlock... but it's HBO...

lostknight
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I've read the book. Martin was one of the big three that ruled fantasy for a while - Jordan, Goodkind and Martin. Martin hit writers block, and there hasn't been a book in this series in five years or so. Goodkind retired from Fantasy, Jordan died.

Word of warning, the Martin books are not happy books. They make the Soprano's look like the Mickey Mouse club.

Quoydogs
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
I've read the book. Martin was one of the big three that ruled fantasy for a while - Jordan, Goodkind and Martin. Martin hit writers block, and there hasn't been a book in this series in five years or so. Goodkind retired from Fantasy, Jordan died.

Word of warning, the Martin books are not happy books. They make the Soprano's look like the Mickey Mouse club.

See this I like

GoHAM
04-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Easily one of my favorite book series.

So good in fact I am wary of watching the HBO series in case it ruins the books in some way.

Drunk Monkey
04-13-2011, 01:36 PM
I think I am going to switch back to HBO for this. Was going to wait until the summer for True Blood and Entourage but this has peaked my interest. I like the HBO / Showtime series so much more then the censored channels.

Obushma
04-13-2011, 01:37 PM

The link is here

I've read what he's completed in the series, they are some of the best fiction books i've read. They are very adult themed though Kaylore, rape, murder, explecit sex, throughout the books.

Dendave
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Easily one of my favorite book series.

So good in fact I am wary of watching the HBO series in case it ruins the books in some way.

Agree, but added HBO today to watch

Man-Goblin
04-13-2011, 01:49 PM
I've read what he's completed in the series, they are some of the best fiction books i've read. They are very adult themed though Kaylore, rape, murder, explecit sex, throughout the books.

*setting DVR*

mkporter
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM

The link is here

I've read 'em. If you are at all a fantasy fan, they are a must read. It is a little frustrating that he kinda stalled out for a while, but the next book is due in July, so that is the good news. The storyline and world he has created are very well fleshed out and detailed, and the character arcs intersect in clever and surprising ways.

The style of the books is interesting as well. Each chapter follows one character, so sometimes you get really into what's going on with one character, but you don't get back to their story for several chapters. Other times, you get to see the same event from several different perspectives, gaining a more complete picture. It is a pretty complex series, and remembering all of the characters can be challenging at times. Overall, they are engrossing books, and I'm excited to see what they do with the series.

Chris
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
So.... what is this about?

elsid13
04-13-2011, 02:25 PM
So.... what is this about?

Think very adult mafia style power contest set in middle ages fantasy setting. The books were extremely interesting, but Martin lost his way toward the end and never complete the epic series he started.

lostknight
04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Martin kind of wrote himself in a corner (by his own admission). I would guess that the HBO contract included some varient of "you must finish the books" which is why he is getting back to it by now.

He's a great writer - probably the most natural writer of the old big three. I do have to say that the new generation of fantasy writers - In particular Patrick Rothfuss's unbeliavably great series The Name of the Wind, and Brandon Sanderson (who took over the Wheel of Time books from Jordan) are better authors I think then any of the three.

(If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you need to. It's Tolkein and C.S. Lewis good).

elsid13
04-13-2011, 02:35 PM
Martin kind of wrote himself in a corner (by his own admission). I would guess that the HBO contract included some varient of "you must finish the books" which is why he is getting back to it by now.

He's a great writer - probably the most natural writer of the old big three. I do have to say that the new generation of fantasy writers - In particular Patrick Rothfuss's unbeliavably great series The Name of the Wind, and Brandon Sanderson (who took over the Wheel of Time books from Jordan) are better authors I think then any of the three.

(If you haven't read The Name of the Wind, you need to. It's Tolkein and C.S. Lewis good).

Rothfuss is outstanding writer, no matter what genre you favor. His new books is even better then The Name of Wind.

Natedog24
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm more excited for the next the book in his series which finally has a solid release date. July 12 2011, I hope it was worth the wait.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

TheReverend
04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
I own the first book of the same title. Made it 30 pages before passing unconscious, and that's coming from the guy who's read all roughly 15,000 pages of Jordan's Wheel of Time.

TheReverend
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM

The guy that's finishing the series for him, Brandon Sanderson, is pretty amazing (though I thought the ending of the last one was pretty Mickey Mouse and stupid -- disclaimer: that ending prob came from Jordan's pre death notes)

scorpio
04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Tied with the Dune saga for my favorite series of books.

Wheel of Time and Goodkind's stuff is very dry compared to A Song of Ice and Fire imo.

scorpio
04-13-2011, 03:44 PM
It is a pretty complex series, and remembering all of the characters can be challenging at times.

The character list in A Feast for Crows is 70 pages long

shaunroach
04-13-2011, 03:46 PM
It's an awesome series because no one is safe. Any character can die at anytime. I don't have HBO, but I'll probably plow through the DVD set like the Wire.

I have not read Brandon Sanderson, but did you know he was room mates with Jeopardy champion Ken Jennings?? TRUE FACT.

Also I agree about Rothfuss, he pretty good too.

Jay3
04-13-2011, 03:50 PM
It's very well written, and I recommend it. I'm not much for all that epic fantasy stuff, but so many friends recommended this one as "the best," I thought I'd try it with the series coming up. It reads well and was enjoyable.

Jay3
04-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I own the first book of the same title. Made it 30 pages before passing unconscious, and that's coming from the guy who's read all roughly 15,000 pages of Jordan's Wheel of Time.

You've got it backwards. Wheel of Time is murder.

TheReverend
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Books 8-10 were rough.

I have my suspicions that his wife (an editor at Tor) made him drag it out since the series is such a cash cow. After all, it was intended to be 12 books long and we're finally hitting the end when they release #14 at the start of next year

Boobs McGee
04-13-2011, 04:15 PM
wow. After hearing about everyones positive reviews, I decided to check the books out. Every copy in the Denver area (except for the bookmobile, and I don't know if I can just show up at one of the elementary school locations to check one out there) is either checked out or on hold.

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a little while :(

TheReverend
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
wow. After hearing about everyones positive reviews, I decided to check the books out. Every copy in the Denver area (except for the bookmobile, and I don't know if I can just show up at one of the elementary school locations to check one out there) is either checked out or on hold.

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a little while :(

Crazy idea: Pay $6 for it?

broncoblue
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
its on here the day after the usa...anyone watch boardwalk empire (10/10) or spartacus series(100/10)

Drunk Monkey
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
its on here the day after the usa...anyone watch boardwalk empire (10/10) or spartacus series(100/10)

I got board of Board Walk Empire. Made it about 6 or 7 episodes in and decided to pack it up. Spartacus was awesome. That just made me think of a great name for whom ever put his new name up for debate lately in a thread. Jupiter's Cock

Archer81
04-13-2011, 05:34 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gZEdDMQZaCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:Broncos:

Archer81
04-13-2011, 05:37 PM

I've watched both. Boardwalk Empire is pretty interesting. Steve Buschemi is also pretty good. It reminds me of Goodfellas but set in 1920. Spartacus: Blood and Sand is slow to start, but the writing seemed to improve after the third or so episode. Lots of wang, which is fine for me but some people might not enjoy it. Spartacus: Gods of the Arena is actually very good, but short (6 episodes). I'd recommend both. I am on the fence about boardwalk empire. Its interesting, but I am not a huge fan of mafia driven series or movies.

rugbythug
04-13-2011, 05:41 PM
I have no idea how people here can consume so much entertainment.

Archer81
04-13-2011, 05:44 PM

Would you prefer we all get together for prayer circles and barn raisings?

rugbythug
04-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Would you prefer we all get together for prayer circles and barn raisings?

? It was an honest question. If I was trying to be a dick I would have been more clever.

Archer81
04-13-2011, 05:51 PM
? It was an honest question. If I was trying to be a dick I would have been more clever.

And I made an honest observation about that honest question.

TheReverend
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM

...By reading books?

RhymesayersDU
04-13-2011, 08:20 PM

Based on what, exactly?

Also: Stoked for GOT, already set my DVR.

Boobs McGee
04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Crazy idea: Pay $6 for it?

Crazier idea: Libraries are free

scorpio
04-13-2011, 10:35 PM
I like Boardwalk Empire a lot.

Quoydogs
04-13-2011, 11:46 PM
I like Boardwalk Empire a lot.

Agreed, good story line, good actors and boobies.

FireFly
04-14-2011, 01:32 AM
I read the books, the 1st 3 books in the series are some of the best fantasy books ever written and I've read a LOT, then he seems to lose his way a little like Robert Jordan and the Wheel of Time series. Well worth reading. :strong:

Taco John
04-14-2011, 08:40 AM

The link is here

I've been eyeballing this series for some time, but haven't had the time to commit to it with everything going on with my job right now. With the HBO special happening, I think I'm going to have to finally just plunge in...

elsid13
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I've been eyeballing this series for some time, but haven't had the time to commit to it with everything going on with my job right now. With the HBO special happening, I think I'm going to have to finally just plunge in...

Bypass the Game of Thrones and go with Name of the Wind. It fair better read.

Dendave
04-14-2011, 05:19 PM
My wife loves these books and has been waiting for the next installment for years. She said the Robert Jordan books are her favorite (in her words, she is part of the "Hard Core Fan Freak" group) with GRRM coming in just below RJ, mainly because of the delays in his writing. A bit egotistical as well. His work is "grittier" and she recommends never becoming too attached to any character as shocking things occur. She also is a big fan of Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Ericson, but said those are a tougher read, requiring much more attention. She has been looking forward to the series on HBO and following the progress since even before it was officially announced. Apparently some things are different from the books, which could be good or bad. What are the books about? Take various medievel and royal histories, sprinkle in some Tolkien-esque ideas, a dragon or two, witchcraft, religion and some scary unexplained "Others" and you have a start in understanding.

Kaylore
04-15-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks for everyone's posts.

scorpio
04-17-2011, 07:19 PM
So....yeah.

That was pretty awesome.

elsid13
04-17-2011, 07:29 PM
So....yeah.

That was pretty awesome.

It was far better then I expect it to be, lots of adult scenes which surprised me. Only grip, not enough time or development spent on the pups and Stark's children.

Fedaykin
04-17-2011, 08:06 PM

The link is here

The series, so far, is fantastic.

You have to have a lot of patience though. There are plot points introduced in the first chapter (literally) that take several books to even begin to materialize.

Fedaykin
04-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Ewww. Goodkind == drek

TheReverend
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
The series, so far, is fantastic.

You have to have a lot of patience though. There are plot points introduced in the first chapter (literally) that take several books to even begin to materialize.

Is it the ****ing dogs that put me to sleep?

TheReverend
04-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Ewww. Goodkind == drek

I don't understand what this means...?

Fedaykin
04-17-2011, 08:20 PM
I don't understand what this means...?

drek is a made up word in Farscape that means **** =)

lostknight
04-17-2011, 08:21 PM
The first episode is epically accurate to the books so far. The characterizations seem mostly spot on so far.

The Goodkind == drek is probably a reference to Goodkind being the mother of all Ayn Rand disciples.Goodkind preaches like Jessie Jackson extorts money.

I agree with the comments on Sanderson and Rothfuss.

Fedaykin
04-17-2011, 08:25 PM
The Goodkind == drek is probably a reference to Goodkind being the mother of all Ayn Rand disciples.Goodkind preaches like Jessie Jackson extorts money.

Precisely. When you books stop being about telling a story and instead feature your main character literally preaching for 500+ pages, you've officially stopped being anything resembling a good author. Add in the dull, repetitive plot lines (oh look, Kahlan and Richard are separated again, weeeeeeeee) and you "graduate" to "soap opera hack". =)

broncosteven
04-17-2011, 08:41 PM

You need to read on the toilet, before my car accident that was the only time I had to myself and it is amazing how quick you can get through a book.

Old Dude
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
I read the first four books some time ago and thought it was a great series, but it's taken forever for Martin to finish the fifth (which is now supposedly going to be released this summer.)

The HBO adaptation last night was pretty dead-on.

What makes the series so interesting is the way Martin sets up what looks like a pretty standard ho-hum fantasy "good vs. evil" story with all of the usual tropes and stereotypes - - - and then - - he just blows them out of the water.

If you are watching the TV series and haven't read the books, it's still in the "set-up" stage. But stay tuned, and within a week or two, you'll start to see what I mean, when things start going not quite the way you might expect.

Jay3
04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
I thought it was a spot-on adaptation. It's how I pictured most aspects of it.

bronco militia
04-18-2011, 10:49 AM
if you like ****ing your sister, that was a great first episode ugh!~

Fedaykin
04-18-2011, 10:51 AM
You need to read on the toilet, before my car accident that was the only time I had to myself and it is amazing how quick you can get through a book.

If you get serious reading time on the throne -- you'd probably be better served by eating the book for its fiber content rather than reading it.

Just sayin' ;)

Fedaykin
04-18-2011, 11:19 AM
I greatly enjoyed this first episode. It was very true to the source material with only understandable editing to accommodate the requisite runtime and the worst of the taboo sexual content. This is good -- I'm very glad the writers have chosen not to pervert the source material by making unnecessary changes which happens all to often with adaptions. I'm glad this is showing on HBO -- that'll go a long way toward giving the writers/producers the freedom needed to be true to the source -- especially the dark and adult tone of the series (and I don't mean the sexual content). This ain't "The Hobbit".

The casting was pretty good -- with some outstanding early performances (Tyrion and Danerys especially). With the exception of poor characterization of Robb, Theon and Jon (those three are nearly indistinguishable in this episode -- easy enough to understand with their limited screen time) and Cersei to a degree, all the characters were brought to life very well, especially for a first episode.

lostknight
04-18-2011, 11:37 AM
I greatly enjoyed this first episode. It was very true to the source material with only understandable editing to accommodate the requisite runtime and the worst of the taboo sexual content. This is good -- I'm very glad the writers have chosen not to pervert the source material by making unnecessary changes which happens all to often with adaptions. I'm glad this is showing on HBO -- that'll go a long way toward giving the writers/producers the freedom needed to be true to the source -- especially the dark and adult tone of the series (and I don't mean the sexual content). This ain't "The Hobbit".

Outside of Vicerys nipple-twisting his sister (which was only slightly toned down), I'm not sure we have seen any cuts so far in that area. They haven't mentioned the whole Targaryens marry their sister thing yet.

The casting was pretty good -- with some outstanding early performances (Tyrion and Danerys especially). With the exception of poor characterization of Robb, Theon and Jon (those three are nearly indistinguishable in this episode -- easy enough to understand with their limited screen time) and Cersei to a degree, all the characters were brought to life very well, especially for a first episode.

Actually Cate is the one character that doesn't fit well to me. In the books she was one who was pushing Ned to take the job. In the series so far, she seems much more reserved.

Fedaykin
04-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Outside of Vicerys nipple-twisting his sister (which was only slightly toned down), I'm not sure we have seen any cuts so far in that area. They haven't mentioned the whole Targaryens marry their sister thing yet.

I'm speaking mostly of the fact that they they've changed (and avoided discussion of) the ages of the young characters involved in the most adult themes.

It'd be a hard thing to change the Jaime/Cersei incest as it plays such an important role in the plot.

Actually Cate is the one character that doesn't fit well to me. In the books she was one who was pushing Ned to take the job. In the series so far, she seems much more reserved.

Ahh, you're right. It's been about a decade since I read the first book. Though IIRC she was outwardly supporting it but inwardly against it?

lostknight
04-18-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm speaking mostly of the fact that they they've changed (and avoided discussion of) the ages of the young characters involved in the most adult themes.

True enough. The Sansa stuff that happens later is going to be squicky enough without it. In general I think it makes sense to leave them a couple of years older, if nothing else because younger actors would be very problematic at delivering certain scenes.

It'd be a hard thing to change the Jaime/Cersei incest as it plays such an important role in the plot.

True.

Ahh, you're right. It's been about a decade since I read the first book. Though IIRC she was outwardly supporting it but inwardly against it?

I re-read it last night, and while I would say that in what she says she's a bit conflicted, she flat out tells Ned that he has to take the job. She gets a bit more wonked about it once Ned decides that she has to stay.

I agree with the Theon stuff. They seem to have shifted some of the antagonism between him and Jon to Rob, which I think is a mistake. Especially if Jon is who we think he is.

Fedaykin
04-18-2011, 12:20 PM
True enough. The Sansa stuff that happens later is going to be squicky enough without it. In general I think it makes sense to leave them a couple of years older, if nothing else because younger actors would be very problematic at delivering certain scenes.

Yeah, based on my estimation of the ages of the actors playing Joffrey and Sansa, there will be considerable changes to their relationship.

I re-read it last night, and while I would say that in what she says she's a bit conflicted, she flat out tells Ned that he has to take the job. She gets a bit more wonked about it once Ned decides that she has to stay.

Ahh, I'm remembering now. Now I'm contemplating reading GoT again even more.

I agree with the Theon stuff. They seem to have shifted some of the antagonism between him and Jon to Rob, which I think is a mistake. Especially if Jon is who we think he is.

Honestly I was having trouble telling the actors playing the three boys apart. Does Theon even get addressed by name?

Old Dude
04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Honestly I was having trouble telling the actors playing the three boys apart. Does Theon even get addressed by name?

If he was, I didn't catch it. And some viewers may incorrectly assume, at least at this point, that he's the fifth child of the Starks, whereas I'm not sure we ever saw Rickon (the three-year old).

I'll bet a lot of this gets clarified in the next couple of episodes, though. They already had a lot of characters to introduce and a lot of ground to cover in the opener.

Fedaykin
04-18-2011, 12:51 PM
If he was, I didn't catch it. And some viewers may incorrectly assume, at least at this point, that he's the fifth child of the Starks, whereas I'm not sure we ever saw Rickon (the three-year old).

Rickon was in the archery scene for all of 2 seconds, heh.

I'll bet a lot of this gets clarified in the next couple of episodes, though. They already had a lot of characters to introduce and a lot of ground to cover in the opener.

No doubt -- there is no lack of characters to introduce and familiarize the audience with! I imagine for someone who hasn't read the books it'll take some time.

spdirty
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
Watched the first episode. Gonna have to watch about 3 more times before I start figuring out wtf is going on.

spdirty
04-18-2011, 07:57 PM
So is HBO gonna go all in with this **** or are they gonna half ass and quit after 2 or 3 seasons like they did Deadwood and Rome?

jutang
04-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I was lost watching the first episode and fell asleep for the last 10 minutes. Not a great start to the series with way too many character introductions.

extralife
04-18-2011, 09:03 PM
read real books

That One Guy
04-18-2011, 09:21 PM
read real books

I mostly read just non-fiction. Not wanting to study is the only reason I just read through this thread. Lord of the Rings looked stupid so I never read nor watched any of them. Is this in that realm?

That One Guy
04-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Crazier idea: Libraries are free

If you have an e-reader, Piratebay it now and check it out from the library some other time to clear the guilt.

TheReverend
04-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Sucks WoT is too big to do this with. I'd love to be discussing that series atm.

RhymesayersDU
04-18-2011, 09:44 PM
I enjoyed the first episode.

I'm reading through this thread, and trying to piece things together. I mean, I was paying attention but there's a lot going on. Just to clarify, that was the Queen getting nailed by her brother at the end? And they have another sibling, the dwarf?

myMind
04-19-2011, 01:22 AM
Just to clarify, that was the Queen getting nailed by her brother at the end? And they have another sibling, the dwarf?

Yes

Old Dude
04-19-2011, 07:20 AM
I enjoyed the first episode.

I'm reading through this thread, and trying to piece things together. I mean, I was paying attention but there's a lot going on. Just to clarify, that was the Queen getting nailed by her brother at the end? And they have another sibling, the dwarf?

Yup. Maybe this will help as a guide to who is related to who.

For about 300 years, Westeros (the England-like land where most of the action takes place) was ruled by the Targaryen dynasty - the so-called dragon kings. These folks were a little like the Egyptian Pharaohs and engaged in a lot of interbreeding. Marriages between brothers and sisters were common. (This practice did NOT extend to anyone else in the country.)

About 15 years before the story starts, the Targaryens were overthrown by a group of nobles. The leader of te rebellion was Robert Baratheon, who is now (the very fat and out of shape) King. (Baratheon also has a couple of brothers who haven't been introduced yet.)

The only surviving Targaryens were a brother and sister - and who were little more than infants at the time of the "usurpation." They've been bouncing around between various patrons on the continent ever since then. Theoretically, they have the primary claim on the throne and those who don't accept Baratheon's rule would like to see them returned. Obviously, their benefactors are hoping for various rewards and influence if this comes about. The sister, Daenerys, has just been married off to the continental equivalent of Ghengis Khan - with the hope that they'll eventually restore the Targaryens to the throne.

Among the noble families who assisted Baratheon in gaining the throne were the Lannisters, the Starks, the Tullys and the Arryns.

After the rebellion, there was a lot of intermarriage between these families to strengthen their alliances.

The head of the House of Lannister, Tywin, arranged a marriage between his daughter, Cersei, and King Robert. They have three kids, the oldest of whom is Joffrey. Cersei, as you know from episode 1, is having an incestuous affair with her twin brother Jaimie. Tyrion, the dwarf, is their younger brother.

The Tullys married off one of their daughters to Ned Stark. (Catelyn). The Starks have five kids. The other Tully daughter (Lysa) was married off to Jon Arryn. (They have one child - a boy). As the series begins, Jon Arryn (who was working as the Kings Right Hand Man) has died under suspicious circumstances. Lysa has fled the King's main castle/city where her husband died, back to a fortress held by the Arryn family, and has written to her sister that she thinks Jon was murdered by the Lannister family.

Jon Snow is not a Stark. He is the bastard son of Ed Stark, who Ed allows to hang around.

The Theon kid we've been taking about is also temporarily residing with the Starks, but he's not directly related to them. He's from yet another noble family.

Anyway, that's for starters.

[Edited to correct the info regarding Lysa's whereabouts.]

meangene
04-19-2011, 07:43 AM
Yup. Maybe this will help as a guide to who is related to who.

For about 300 years, Westeros (the England-like land where most of the action takes place) was ruled by the Targaryen dynasty - the so-called dragon kings. These folks were a little like the Egyptian Pharaohs and engaged in a lot of interbreeding. Marriages between brothers and sisters were common. (This practice did NOT extend to anyone else in the country.)

About 15 years before the story starts, the Targaryens were overthrown by a group of nobles. The leader of te rebellion was Robert Baratheon, who is now (the very fat and out of shape) King. (Baratheon also has a couple of brothers who haven't been introduced yet.)

The only surviving Targaryens were a brother and sister - and who were little more than infants at the time of the "usurpation." They've been bouncing around between various patrons on the continent ever since then. Theoretically, they have the primary claim on the throne and those who don't accept Baratheon's rule would like to see them returned. Obviously, their benefactors are hoping for various rewards and influence if this comes about. The sister, Daenerys, has just been married off to the continental equivalent of Ghengis Khan - with the hope that they'll eventually restore the Targaryens to the throne.

Among the noble families who assisted Baratheon in gaining the throne were the Lannisters, the Starks, the Tullys and the Arryns.

After the rebellion, there was a lot of intermarriage between these families to strengthen their alliances.

The head of the House of Lannister, Tywin, arranged a marriage between his daughter, Cersei, and King Robert. They have three kids, the oldest of whom is Joffrey. Cersei, as you know from episode 1, is having an incestuous affair with her twin brother Jaimie. Tyrion, the dwarf, is their younger brother.

The Tullys married off one of their daughters to Ned Stark. (Catelyn). The Starks have five kids. The other Tully daughter (Lysa) was married off to Jon Arryn. (They have one child - a boy). As the series begins, Jon Arryn (who was working as the Kings Right Hand Man) has died under suspicious circumstances. Lysa has fled back to the Tully castle and has written to her sister that she thinks Jon was murdered by the Lannister family.

Jon Snow is not a Stark. He is the bastard son of Ed Stark, who Ed allows to hang around.

The Theon kid we've been taking about is also temporarily residing with the Starks, but he's not directly related to them. He's from yet another noble family.

Anyway, that's for starters.

Thanks! That really helps! There were an awful lot of characters introduced very quickly.

RhymesayersDU
04-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Question: in this story, do the gals only get banged doggy style? ;)

But seriously, thanks for the backstory.

Old Dude
04-19-2011, 07:53 AM
By the time this story reaches Book 4, almost everyone gets banged doggy-style.

Kaylore
04-19-2011, 07:57 AM
By the time this story reaches Book 4, almost everyone gets banged doggy-style.

I haven't read the books, but the author is apparently a scholar on royal lineages and such things were pretty consistent (and still are) with royal/elite behavior, including incest.

Old Dude
04-19-2011, 08:14 AM
You'll also notice a few parallels with the War of the Roses - The House of Stark = House of York. House of Lannister = House of Lancaster, etc. Richard III (one of the Bard's best villains) was a dwarf. etc., etc.

But this only goes so far. Martin mixes all kinds of plots and issues into his story.

The other theme it might help to know is the role of magic. In this world, there was a time when magic really worked and magical creatures did their thing - more than just legends.

Eventually, it all faded away, and at the time the story begins, it's a very "low-magic" environment. A dire beast here and there. Some petrified dragon eggs. An occasional dream or prophesy.

Slowly but surely, that's gonna change.

spdirty
04-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Thank you very much old dude. Now I'll watch it again this week knowing a little more.

Can you please give us cliff notes after every episode?

scorpio
04-19-2011, 09:34 AM
Lysa has fled back to the Tully castle and has written to her sister that she thinks Jon was murdered by the Lannister family.

Minor point, Lysa actually flees back the Eyrie, which is the Arryn family stronghold.

jutang
04-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Sums up of the first episode. Too bad I already deleted it from my DVR. I think I would have enjoyed it more watching it a second time.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/?post_type=tvr_recap&p=4954&preview=true

Old Dude
04-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Minor point, Lysa actually flees back the Eyrie, which is the Arryn family stronghold.

Oops, you're right, of course. And the Eyrie should lend itself to some pretty cool FX.

Two other things to mention.

First is the Icewall. It's a rough analog to Hadrian's Wall. North of the wall is a bitter cold wilderness, occupied mostly by the "Wildlings." Think of them as barbarian Scots, and you won't be far off. The wall is manned by a small force of "rangers" known as the Night Watch. (Some of the the guys we saw in the introduction.) Their main job is to keep the Wildlings pinned up behind the wall - preventing raids into Westeros.

Some of the soldiers in the Night Watch are volunteers; others are criminals or exiles who were sent there permanently, as punishment. It's basically a life sentence, so deserters are hunted down and executed on the spot. That is part of Stark's job as warden of the north.

Second is the whole deal with the seasons. On this point, my memory is vague, but Westeros has a pattern of very long summers (or temperate seasons) - sometimes a few years at a time, followed by long and harsh winters. Some winters last an entire year or more - which is really tough on the food supply. As a general rule, the longer the summer, the longer and nastier the winter that follows it. As the story begins, we've had a very, very, very long "summer" and there is some concern that when winter finally comes, it's going to be a real biatch. But people have other things on their mind and no one is really in a panic about it just yet.

And I think that anything else I say would just be a spoiler.

scorpio
04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
iirc there's no defined length to the seasons, but the summer they are experiencing now has lasted for over 10 years.

spdirty
04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
iirc there's no defined length to the seasons, but the summer they are experiencing now has lasted for over 10 years.

So they had to deal with global warming too eh?

Old Dude
04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Sums up of the first episode. Too bad I already deleted it from my DVR. I think I would have enjoyed it more watching it a second time.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/?post_type=tvr_recap&p=4954&preview=true

One thing I noticed after reading that synopsis is that, for purposes of the TV show, they've advanced the ages of all the children by two to three years each. Therefore, it could be that we're supposed to think the rebellion was more like 17 or 18 years ago, rather than 15.

Why did they do this? Some of it is probably a nod to modern sensibilities which would be a little freaked over 11 and 12 year olds getting married. Historically, the book is probably a more accurate version of medieval matchmaking, but there you go.

As a more practical matter, it was probably just a lot easier to work with slightly older actors and actresses - especially since the series could theoretically go on for a few years.

Fedaykin
04-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Old Dude gives a good background summary. Here's some character information

A "quick" run down on the most important characters introduced in the first episode: Most on this list are main/important characters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

On the continent of Westeros, land of the "Seven Kingdoms" previously conquered and united under the rule of the Targaryens.

House Stark -- Rulers of Winterfell, Wardens of the North.

Lord Eddard Stark [Sean Bean] -- Noble who helped Robert Baratheon usurp the throne from the Targaryans. Lord of Winterfell. Baratheon travels to Winterfell to ask Eddard to become the "Hand of the King" after the death of the previous hand.

Lady Catelyn Stark (nee Tully) -- Married off to Stark to seal the alliance between house Tully and House Stark. Has grown to love her husband deeply.

Robb Stark: Eldest Stark son (15) and heir apparent to Eddard Stark

Sansa Stark: Eldest Stark daughter (13). Betrothed to Prince Joffrey Baratheon.

Brandon "Bran" Stark: Middle Stark son (10): Fantastic climber, which leads me to discover the incestuous relationship between Jaime and Cersei Lannister. Gets thrown off the a Winterfell tower by Jaime Lannister.

Arya Stark: Youngest Stark daughter (8-9). Tomboy (hates her needlework!) and general little pain. ;)

Ricken Stark: Youngest Stark son (5)

Jon Snow: (16?) Bastard son of Eddard Stark. In Westeros bastards always take the same surname in each region. In the north the surname taken is "Snow". Wants to join the Night's Watch on the wall as his position as a bastard makes his life rather increasingly uncomfortable in Winterfell.

Theon Greyjoy (16?): Ward/Hostage of Eddard Stark. In Westeros it's common for children to be taken as ward/hostages to force compliance of treaties, etc. Heir of House Greyjoy. Close friend to Robb Stark.

The Lannister Children

Cersei Baratheon (nee Lannister): Queen consort of King Robert Baratheon. Involved in an incestuous relationship with her twin brother Jaime.

Jaime "The Kingslayer" Lannister: Member of the Kingsguard (an elite guard for the King). Slayed the last Targaryen king while a member of the guard. Involved in an incestuous relationship with twin sister Cersei.

Tyrion "The Imp" Lannister: Dwarf son of Tywin Lannister. Younger brother to Jaime and Cersei. Highly intelligent and sardonic. Despised by his father.

House Baratheon:

King Robert Baratheon: Usurper to the Iron Throne. King of the seven kingdoms of Westeros. Once a great fighter, now a reluctant ruler: occupies his time with whores, hunting and drink. Leaves the ruling of his kingdom to his "Hand". Was once betrothed to Eddard Stark's sister who was kidnapped and presumably murdered by the Prince Rhaegar Targaryen during the rebellion.

Prince Joffrey Baratheon (12): Eldest Baratheon son. Betrothed to Sansa Stark.

----------------------------------------------

On the Eastern Content (The Free Cities) -- ancestral home of House Targaryen

The Surviving Targaryens: Survived the sacking of King's Landing in Westeros and the Targaryen purge. Fled to the free cities on the eastern content after the rebellion.

Viserys Targaryen (late teens). Cruel, unstable and has grand ambitions (but no real means) of retaking the Iron Throne. Sells his sister to Khal Drogo to form an alliance.

Danerys "Dany" Targaryen (early teens). Younger sister to Viscerys. Born during the Baratheon rebellion. Victim of mental, physical and sexual abuse by her brother. Sold as wife to the warlord Khal Drogo to purchase the services of his army.

Others:

Khal Drogo: One of the most powerful warlords in the east. Commands an army of over 10,000 horsemen.

Jorah Mormont: Exiled knight who enters the service of Viserys and Danerys at the wedding of Dany and Drogo.

Fedaykin
04-19-2011, 11:45 AM
As a more practical matter, it was probably just a lot easier to work with slightly older actors and actresses - especially since the series could theoretically go on for a few years.

Luckily the plot goes on for several years too.

lostknight
04-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Sucks WoT is too big to do this with. I'd love to be discussing that series atm.

Dreamworks has the rights. It's only a matter of time before you will get to see the girls fold their arms beneath their breasts.

I want a Mistborn TV series.

myMind
04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
HBO has announced plans to go ahead with season 2!!!

Boom! (http://grrm.livejournal.com/)

lostknight
04-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Interesting enough, I think Martin realized that he wrote the characters too young. He always had a idea that he was going to take a five year gap to let surviving characters get a bit more mature. He since scrapped that since he was doing too many flashbacks, but if his posts are too be believed, it's one of two things that really ****ed up his story, and he has had to work to fix.

That One Guy
04-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Dreamworks has the rights. It's only a matter of time before you will get to see the girls fold their arms beneath their breasts.

I don't get the reference. Are they folding them there because they're so large? I like the way this is headed, if so.

Antilles
04-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Not to mention straightening their skirts, tugging their braids and complaining about how character x will never understand the actions of gender y.

Sigh. WOT sucks ass. So much so, that I've read all 13 books.

Fedaykin
04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
HBO has announced plans to go ahead with season 2!!!

Boom! (http://grrm.livejournal.com/)

Awesome. Can't wait to see the Battle of the Blackwater on screen!

scorpio
04-19-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't get the reference. Are they folding them there because they're so large? I like the way this is headed, if so.

Wheel of Time is a good story for the first 5 books or so but Robert Jordan has (had, sorry) some pretty annoying writing habits, which is what lostknight and antilles are referring too.

DenverBroncosJM
04-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Bypass the Game of Thrones and go with Name of the Wind. It fair better read.

I agree 110%

Martin just made the books so hard to read after the third book. I am not even going to finish the series, but I'll watch it!

Rothfuss and Sanderson are putting out some good books

Peter Brett is holding his own too

lostknight
04-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Robert Jordan has a distinctive writing style. Mostly formed by repeating certain phrases over and over. Wheel of Time is a work of genius, unfortunately like most geniuses there is a certain amount of idiosyncrasy that the author unleashes from time to time.

The great news is that Sanderson is doing a phenomenal job wrapping the series. There was a sequence in the last book that was as good as anything that Jordan ever wrote, if not a shade better.

Kaylore
04-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Wheel of Time is a good story for the first 5 books or so but Robert Jordan has (had, sorry) some pretty annoying writing habits, which is what lostknight and antilles are referring too.

You mean like how he introduces a character for ten minutes and then expects you know and care about him two books later? Or how he takes four pages to explain a table?

TheReverend
04-20-2011, 08:23 AM

Not to mention straightening their skirts, tugging their braids and complaining about how character x will never understand the actions of gender y.

Sigh. WOT sucks ass. So much so, that I've read all 13 books.

You mean like how he introduces a character for ten minutes and then expects you know and care about him two books later? Or how he takes four pages to explain a table?

LOL

All valid points, but the first 6 (Maybe not the first one. The Great Hunt is where I got hooked) and the last few are amazing. Dumai's Wells is probably one of the most bad ass sections of literary history.

Like I said earlier, it hit a lull for a while after that, but I REALLY think it was his Tor editor wife dragging out the cash cow.

Besides, once Saidin got cleansed (another amazing scene) it was full speed ahead again. I still don't know how they're going to cover the remaining plot lines with 1 more book... Tarmon Gaidon is going to ****ing sweet at least.

Half the Forsaken are still alive, who killed Asmo? Who is Taim? Is Logain going to kill him and take the black tower? Will the Seanchan leash Rand for the last battle? etc

Oh and the rights have been bought and sold a dozen times over. No one can figure out how to make such an intricate and massive story. TV would work, but it'd take like 10 seasons and a monster budget to do it right.

Grumps
04-20-2011, 08:46 AM
LOL

All valid points, but the first 6 (Maybe not the first one. The Great Hunt is where I got hooked) and the last few are amazing. Dumai's Wells is probably one of the most bad ass sections of literary history.

Like I said earlier, it hit a lull for a while after that, but I REALLY think it was his Tor editor wife dragging out the cash cow.

Besides, once Saidin got cleansed (another amazing scene) it was full speed ahead again. I still don't know how they're going to cover the remaining plot lines with 1 more book... Tarmon Gaidon is going to ****ing sweet at least.

Half the Forsaken are still alive, who killed Asmo? Who is Taim? Is Logain going to kill him and take the black tower? Will the Seanchan leash Rand for the last battle? etc

Oh and the rights have been bought and sold a dozen times over. No one can figure out how to make such an intricate and massive story. TV would work, but it'd take like 10 seasons and a monster budget to do it right.

Eh, things slowed down between books 8-10...I think it was mostly the wait between books made the books worse than they were. I am rereading the entire series and am interested to see if my opinion on books 8-10 has changed.

Either way, Sanderson has done an admirable job so far, I think. I really enjoyed the last two books. Really am looking forward to the conclusion, but am worried that a lot will be rushed in order to fit it in one book.

As to your questions...SPOILERS AHEAD.....

Graendal killed Asmo (definitive proof in the last book). Taim is Taim...new dreadlord trained by/working for Moridin. I wondered what happened to Logain in the last book. I am beginning to think Taim might have captured him and it will take the Logain followers to break him free. One of the plots I am looking forward to seeing the resolution on. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Seanchan and what plays out with the Aiel (given Aviendha's vision).

No way a movie would ever do the series justice. Perhaps a mini-series, but I doubt that ever happens either.

Old Dude
04-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Hopefully, episode 2 wasn't so hard to follow.

TheReverend
04-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Eh, things slowed down between books 8-10...I think it was mostly the wait between books made the books worse than they were. I am rereading the entire series and am interested to see if my opinion on books 8-10 has changed.

Either way, Sanderson has done an admirable job so far, I think. I really enjoyed the last two books. Really am looking forward to the conclusion, but am worried that a lot will be rushed in order to fit it in one book.

As to your questions...SPOILERS AHEAD.....

Graendal killed Asmo (definitive proof in the last book). Taim is Taim...new dreadlord trained by/working for Moridin. I wondered what happened to Logain in the last book. I am beginning to think Taim might have captured him and it will take the Logain followers to break him free. One of the plots I am looking forward to seeing the resolution on. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Seanchan and what plays out with the Aiel (given Aviendha's vision).

No way a movie would ever do the series justice. Perhaps a mini-series, but I doubt that ever happens either.

Meh, I've read all those before, but there aren't any definitive answers on either yet.

What "proof" do you have that Graendal did it? I clearly missed that! (Edit: WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF they put it in the ****ing glossary? I was expecting a book reveal considering it became such a HUGE issue for years for something RJ thought was "inherently obvious" in the story... FML, that's weak)

I was hoping Taim killed him :(

Grumps
04-26-2011, 06:13 AM
Meh, I've read all those before, but there aren't any definitive answers on either yet.

What "proof" do you have that Graendal did it? I clearly missed that! (Edit: WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF they put it in the ****ing glossary? I was expecting a book reveal considering it became such a HUGE issue for years for something RJ thought was "inherently obvious" in the story... FML, that's weak)

I suspected her when she told Sammael definitively that Asmo was dead (I think in the 7th book). But that wasn't proof.

Shaidar Haran also says in one of the last chapters of the last book that Graendal is responsible for the deaths of 3 of the Forsaken (implication...Aran'gar, Messanna, and Asmo).

TheReverend
04-26-2011, 08:05 AM
I suspected her when she told Sammael definitively that Asmo was dead (I think in the 7th book). But that wasn't proof.

Shaidar Haran also says in one of the last chapters of the last book that Graendal is responsible for the deaths of 3 of the Forsaken (implication...Aran'gar, Messanna, and Asmo).

..........how the hell was Graendal responsible for Mesaana's condition?! The dream spike she gave Slayer? Still doesn't fit... Egwene smoked Mesaana head to head.

Grumps
04-26-2011, 08:22 AM
..........how the hell was Graendal responsible for Mesaana's condition?! The dream spike she gave Slayer? Still doesn't fit... Egwene smoked Mesaana head to head.

Yes, the dream spike. Because she didn't finish Perrin and allowed him to move the dream spike which prevented Mesaana from escaping. It's been a while since I read the book, but I think early on Moridin warned Graendal about being careful with the spike.

lostknight
04-26-2011, 08:55 AM

I always got the impression from RJ's online notes that he never intended it to become such a mystery. It's a bit like Boba Fett. A random little bit that suddenly becomes really important in fan's minds.

lostknight
04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Taim is Taim...new dreadlord trained by/working for Moridin.

Problem with that is that Taim once called the Aiel the "So-called Aiel". Only someone from the Age of Legends would call the Aiel so-called.

My guess is Sammael in deep cover, or even Moridin himself.

s0phr0syne
06-14-2011, 07:52 PM
Started watching the series yesterday, just finished episode 9 today

:)

Obvi, I dig it!

TheReverend
06-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Started watching the series yesterday, just finished episode 9 today

:)

Obvi, I dig it!

Great bump. Completely loving this show. Mind=blown over Sunday night's ending.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-14-2011, 08:23 PM
I just watched shows 1-6. What a great show. Looking forward to the rest.

Archer81
06-14-2011, 08:25 PM
I bought the books. It makes some semblance of sense now.

I hate Sansa, by the way.

spdirty
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
After the first show i was like meh, but now im diggin it. Man I hope that neds daughter kills geophry. Hate that kid. Please don't spoil it for me. Love that dwarf too.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
After the first show i was like meh, but now im diggin it. Man I hope that neds daughter kills geophry. Hate that kid. Please don't spoil it for me. Love that dwarf too.

The only Lancaster I like.

Fedaykin
06-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I bought the books. It makes some semblance of sense now.

I hate Sansa, by the way.

Sansa grows. If nothing else, Martin is a master of character development. If anything, the man spends too much time on it, ha!

Fedaykin
06-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Lannister >.>

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Lannister >.>

thank you

SonOfLe-loLang
06-14-2011, 09:50 PM
This **** is my show right now. Must see TV. Down with Joffrey.

And I agree, Peter Dinklage may be the best part of the show.

"Preferably when I'm 80, lying in my bed with a belly fully of wine and a woman's mouth around my cock."

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-14-2011, 09:57 PM

"Preferably when I'm 80, lying in my bed with a belly fully of wine and a woman's mouth around my cock."

My favorite quote, "I'm going to eat, drink and whore my way to an early grave."

SonOfLe-loLang
06-14-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owf6D2vfZqM

Dont watch this link if you didnt watch last week!!!

If you did, you MUST watch this link

myMind
06-14-2011, 11:35 PM

I had the same exact reaction when I first read the book.
Too bad my roomie didnt have a camera at hand.

KevinJames
06-15-2011, 12:33 AM
Great bump. Completely loving this show. Mind=blown over Sunday night's ending.

Yeah this show is epic

my jaw dropped at the end.

I hope the blood magic works Khal Drogo and the Caleesi are favorites of mine I can't wait to see what they do with that story line.

bottom line tho awesome show.

Archer81
06-15-2011, 01:10 AM
Yeah this show is epic

I hope the blood magic works Khal Drogo and the Caleesi are favorites of mine I can't wait to see what they do with that story line.

The Khaleesi is an interesting character. She is a favorite of mine. Tough chick.

Broncos_OTM
06-15-2011, 04:28 AM

Jordan had a great mind and was a awesome writer. the thing about him however was the series didnt need soe much uneccessary... they just droned on and on at times to no end. So much infact that i got lost ... but then again i have been reading his books since 94 and it would take almost forever before he would release another one. so it was hard to keep up with minor characters

Grumps
06-15-2011, 06:14 AM

Give it time. :thumbs:

I may not care for Martin's views or dedication to finishing the series, but he is great at developing characters. The shades of gray and character development are really well done in the series and probably the main reason for its success.

alkemical
06-15-2011, 06:29 AM
Your library may support the "overdrive app" - which means you can check books out of the library with your app/tablet, etc.

http://www.overdrive.com/

alkemical
06-15-2011, 06:30 AM
if you like ****ing your sister, that was a great first episode ugh!~

If anyone's gonna **** my sister, it's gonna be me!

bronco militia
06-15-2011, 06:57 AM
If anyone's gonna **** my sister, it's gonna be me!

LOL

you need to get out of Pennsyltucky

TonyR
06-15-2011, 07:02 AM
After the first show i was like meh, but now im diggin it.

Exactly how it worked for me, and very typical of HBO series in general.

alkemical
06-15-2011, 07:03 AM
LOL

you need to get out of Pennsyltucky

Jealous?

aahahahaha

robbieopperude
06-15-2011, 07:07 AM
I give this show two thumbs up. Episode 9 was treachery at its finest.

bronco militia
06-15-2011, 07:07 AM
Jealous?

aahahahaha

:~ohyah!: that **** aint right

Dutch
06-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Same here in my household. This role is perfect for Peter Dinklage. He is exactly how I pictured "The Imp" when I read the books last winter. He should be up for an Emmy for this. My wife hasn't read them yet, but is going to start book 1 after the show. Every week I look at her after the new episode is finished and just shake my head. Can't believe they (HBO) did this, and am still amazed at the job they have done. Episode 10 is going to be epic! Next season, and hopefully season three will put season 1 to shame if they continue to do it this well. The second and third books get even better. HBO has already committed to season 2 (Clash of Kings).

alkemical
06-15-2011, 07:45 AM
:~ohyah!: that **** aint right

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-ZQSkSS5k0w-QVj6OXHxMjC6OoLJoO-JCmGVntmuQYPPCw7-9HA

Baba Booey
06-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Can't wait for next week. I'll probably end up buying the next two books and reading them before the next season.

McDman
06-15-2011, 08:06 AM
I just finished the fourth book, there are tons of twist you don't see coming. They're great.

Fedaykin
06-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Same here in my household. This role is perfect for Peter Dinklage. He is exactly how I pictured "The Imp" when I read the books last winter. He should be up for an Emmy for this. My wife hasn't read them yet, but is going to start book 1 after the show. Every week I look at her after the new episode is finished and just shake my head. Can't believe they (HBO) did this, and am still amazed at the job they have done. Episode 10 is going to be epic! Next season, and hopefully season three will put season 1 to shame if they continue to do it this well. The second and third books get even better. HBO has already committed to season 2 (Clash of Kings).

If they pull it off (and I think they will!), EP10 will be amazing -- just like the final chapters of the book =)

Fedaykin
06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Yeah this show is epic

You will love EP10 =)

robbieopperude
06-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I just finished the fourth book, there are tons of twist you don't see coming. They're great.

I just ordered all 4 books off of Amazon.com. 20 bucks for them in paperback. I sit behind a computer 12 hours a day so I should be able to knock them out pretty quickly.

HBO has done a fantastic job on the series so far and I am already excited about Season 2.

Bronco Yoda
06-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I must get this book series now. I'm digging the HBO show.

underrated29
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
I am pretty upset with myself.

I saw all the hype for this show. But I never watched it because I thought it was about a video game. Anyway- 2 weeks ago a good friend of mine made a facebook thing about how it is one of the best series on tv....

So I watched an episode. Liked it. Watched the one that just happened 3 days ago and now I am hooked. I am just super pissed at myself because I missed all of those episodes before hand.

Aside from some bigger name actors- like sean bean and such. There are a lot of people I recognize from other shows. I like that especially if they did a good job. One I remember was Ronin from stargate atlantis. I like him. And the Khaleesi-is so effing hot!!!!!

I feel way behind the 8ball, but if there are books on it and as good as you guys claim I will be checking those out for sure!

Dutch
06-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I am pretty upset with myself.

I saw all the hype for this show. But I never watched it because I thought it was about a video game. Anyway- 2 weeks ago a good friend of mine made a facebook thing about how it is one of the best series on tv....

So I watched an episode. Liked it. Watched the one that just happened 3 days ago and now I am hooked. I am just super pissed at myself because I missed all of those episodes before hand.

Aside from some bigger name actors- like sean bean and such. There are a lot of people I recognize from other shows. I like that especially if they did a good job. One I remember was Ronin from stargate atlantis. I like him. And the Khaleesi-is so effing hot!!!!!

I feel way behind the 8ball, but if there are books on it and as good as you guys claim I will be checking those out for sure!

All 9 episodes are out on HBO on demand, also on HBOGO if you prefer to watch them on the tablet/pc. The books have been a surprisingly good/great read. I stopped 3/4 way through book three as I didn't want to color my view of the charactors any more than I already had. I'm kind of jealous of my wife as she has not read the books yet, so it is all new and the show can be taken on it's own merit. She loves it. Catch up as season two and three are going to be huge/even better than season one.

RhymesayersDU
06-15-2011, 03:14 PM
GAME OF OWNS.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Last Sunday, Sean Bean was stabbed outside a bar and, instead of going to the hospital, he went backinside and ordered another drink.

McDman
06-15-2011, 03:23 PM
I just ordered all 4 books off of Amazon.com. 20 bucks for them in paperback. I sit behind a computer 12 hours a day so I should be able to knock them out pretty quickly.

HBO has done a fantastic job on the series so far and I am already excited about Season 2.

I read the first one in a day.

McDman
06-15-2011, 03:24 PM
All 9 episodes are out on HBO on demand, also on HBOGO if you prefer to watch them on the tablet/pc. The books have been a surprisingly good/great read. I stopped 3/4 way through book three as I didn't want to color my view of the charactors any more than I already had. I'm kind of jealous of my wife as she has not read the books yet, so it is all new and the show can be taken on it's own merit. She loves it. Catch up as season two and three are going to be huge/even better than season one.

Dude, finish the books. There are three more coming out so you will have a bunch of time after this next one comes out.

Dutch
06-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Dude, finish the books. There are three more coming out so you will have a bunch of time after this next one comes out.

heh heh heh, I know, I know...and I will. Next week. I read book 1 in a day and a half (flying to Phoenix from Atlanta to my folks), book 2 in a week (at my folks), and half of book three (returning from my folks) in fairly short order. I only stopped as I didn't want to further cloud my view of the show with what I already knew was coming (it started the Sunday before I got home). I'll knock out three on Monday night, and cruise through 4 on Tues/Wed of next week. I've got 5 on preorder with Amazon, so it will get shredded in short order next month. I eat books constantly. Also looking forward to Daniel Sylvia's new Gabriel novel, and hoping for a new Glen Cook book soon as well.

underrated29
06-15-2011, 03:49 PM

Oh sick! they are on HBO on demand! That goes for Direct TV too I assume?

Nice, I am setting up to dvr from my phone right now so I can watch them and catch up after the hockey game.

Good call!:thumbsup:

Dutch
06-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh sick! they are on HBO on demand! That goes for Direct TV too I assume?

Nice, I am setting up to dvr from my phone right now so I can watch them and catch up after the hockey game.

Good call!:thumbsup:

Available until 7/18/11 on Comcrap, as for DTV-I would think so as well. Once my wife finishes book 1, we will do the weekend Butt-numb-a-thon during the dog days of Atlanta summer (July-August) and watch them straight through. Should play very well, me thinks! WOW!!! We are getting the crap kicked out of us by lightning and hail right now, glad I cut the yard this AM.

myMind
06-15-2011, 07:19 PM
nevermind, link broke

Dutch
06-15-2011, 07:23 PM
Brand is a great character going forward. Some very cool "connection" with his Dire Wolf, Summer.

TheReverend
06-15-2011, 07:41 PM
Brand is a great character going forward. Some very cool "connection" with his Dire Wolf, Summer.

Nobody likes the "almost spoiler" guy, my friend.

s0phr0syne
06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Fact: Every time the dire wolves jump someone I find myself yelling "**** HIM UP" at the tv screen.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-15-2011, 09:35 PM
How to post a spoiler the right way. Highlight between the braces { Ned Dies!!!}

Pseudofool
06-16-2011, 02:03 AM
Fact: Every time the dire wolves jump someone I find myself yelling "**** HIM UP" at the tv screen.You and everyone else, though the most recent insistence with Rob Stark seemed overplayed.

Still can't get over last episode, might take a couple of weeks to view the next one.

Dutch
06-16-2011, 05:57 AM
Nobody likes the "almost spoiler" guy, my friend.

My bad. Realised my mistake as soon as I sent it. My 'Bro and I were talking about the show last night while watching game 7 of the cup. We've both read the books, and there were a couple of plot lines that we are both looking forward to. Didn't mean to drop that into here.

underrated29
06-16-2011, 10:28 AM
Watched the first episode after the game last night. You get to see the kahleesi in the nudes. That made me very happy, because I think she is smokin hot. Kind of a fat ass though. Which was surprising because you cant really tell when she has her clothes on.

Gots me a hockey game tonight, but its an early one so I think I will be able to knock out two episodes. Want to see what happens to that little kid that got pushed out the window.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-16-2011, 10:41 AM
Watched the first episode after the game last night. You get to see the kahleesi in the nudes. That made me very happy, because I think she is smokin hot. Kind of a fat ass though. Which was surprising because you cant really tell when she has her clothes on.
Gots me a hockey game tonight, but its an early one so I think I will be able to knock out two episodes. Want to see what happens to that little kid that got pushed out the window.

Tough crowd

underrated29
06-16-2011, 11:12 AM
Its not a bad thing. :wink:

Just a surpise thing. A hidden bonus I was not expecting.

RhymesayersDU
06-16-2011, 11:35 AM
http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/08_game.of_.thrones.s01e08.tounge.2.gif

Rock Chalk
06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Im ****ing pissed Ned died.

That gay ass King better get a sword in his dick, I hope its from the little daughter Aya.

God damn Im addicted to this series.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-16-2011, 11:52 AM
http://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/08_game.of_.thrones.s01e08.tounge.2.gif

thank god someone made this

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-17-2011, 03:11 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-starts-shooting-season-202918

Game of thorns begins shooting season 2 in July!

elsid13
06-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Im ****ing pissed Ned died.

That gay ass King better get a sword in his dick, I hope its from the little daughter Aya.

God damn Im addicted to this series.

Just wait, there is going to be a whole lot of twist, betrays and deaths still.

Natedog24
06-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Archer81
06-17-2011, 06:28 PM
I finished book two.

Interesting.

McDman
06-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I finished book two.

Interesting.

It gets even crazier!

Pseudofool
06-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Im ****ing pissed Ned died.I was in a foul mood all day. I hope a Whitewalker bites him and he comes back for season two as a zombie ned stark.

Bob's your Information Minister
06-17-2011, 10:03 PM
I really hate that little prick Joffrey.

I hope he suffers painfully.

ZONA
06-18-2011, 02:47 AM
I'm not surprised Ned died. I knew Sean Bean wasn't going to go more then a season or 2 on this. He still has major film credentials and I'm sure he'll land more serious roles in bigger movies in the coming years. He probably took this role knowing his character wasn't going to last further then 1 season and I'm sure he got paid well for it. This series needed a big time name at the beginning to draw more interest. Now that we're "hooked" we still will want to watch even though Bean's character is gone.

RhymesayersDU
06-18-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm not surprised Ned died. I knew Sean Bean wasn't going to go more then a season or 2 on this. He still has major film credentials and I'm sure he'll land more serious roles in bigger movies in the coming years. He probably took this role knowing his character wasn't going to last further then 1 season and I'm sure he got paid well for it. This series needed a big time name at the beginning to draw more interest. Now that we're "hooked" we still will want to watch even though Bean's character is gone.

Uh, who is he exactly? Seriously, after reading this I feel a bit dumb (save your jokes!) because I have no idea who this guy is, nor did I know he was any kind of major actor.

lostknight
06-18-2011, 06:41 AM
I really hate that little prick Joffrey.

I hope he suffers painfully.

He reminds me of chief fans ;-)

McDman
06-18-2011, 06:44 AM
Uh, who is he exactly? Seriously, after reading this I feel a bit dumb (save your jokes!) because I have no idea who this guy is, nor did I know he was any kind of major actor.

He played Boromir in The Lord of the Rings and Sharpe in that British movie series.

Him, Tyrion, and Arya were cast perfectly and coincidentally they are the most interesting chapters in all of the books as well. And maybe Jon Snow.

lostknight
06-18-2011, 06:49 AM

I had forgotten how much of a psychological shock that is for new fans. It's pretty much the claim to fame for George R.R. Martin. He does horrible, horrible things to his own characters. It doesn't help that Ned is the only character with a clear moral compass.

RhymesayersDU
06-18-2011, 06:52 AM
He played Boromir in The Lord of the Rings and Sharpe in that British movie series.

Him, Tyrion, and Arya were cast perfectly and coincidentally they are the most interesting chapters in all of the books as well. And maybe Jon Snow.

Well, this explains why I have no idea who he is. Gracias.

lostknight
06-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Bronn is very well done as well, and frankly more interesting to me then he was in the book. Jon Snow is kinda Luke Skywalker mopyish right now. Syraiano was much better then I recalled him being in the books.

Looking forward to Stannis and the Onion Knight next year.

ZONA
06-18-2011, 02:47 PM

You might have heard of some of these movies.........lol

He has mostly played supporting roles or lead support

Patriot Games
Golden Eye (007)
Ronin
National Treasure
The Island
Lord Of the Rings Trilogy
Troy
The Big Empty
Equilibrium

McDman
06-18-2011, 03:21 PM
Bronn is very well done as well, and frankly more interesting to me then he was in the book. Jon Snow is kinda Luke Skywalker mopyish right now. Syraiano was much better then I recalled him being in the books.

Looking forward to Stannis and the Onion Knight next year.

Yeah, Bronn is pretty good. Id have to say Arya is my favorite character in the books but she's barely in the fourth.

Bronco Yoda
06-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Long live Tyrion Lannister. The most interesting character so far.

(ok, don't get any funny ideas and post any spoilers here)

RhymesayersDU
06-18-2011, 03:48 PM
You might have heard of some of these movies.........lol

He has mostly played supporting roles or lead support

Patriot Games
Golden Eye (007)
Ronin
National Treasure
The Island
Lord Of the Rings Trilogy
Troy
The Big Empty
Equilibrium

I recall him as the villain in Golden Eye now that you mention it, don't remember him in National Treasure, and haven't seen any of the others.

UberBroncoMan
06-18-2011, 04:01 PM
I recall him as the villain in Golden Eye now that you mention it, don't remember him in National Treasure, and haven't seen any of the others.

The ****. You've never seen Lord of the Rings?!

He was the main villain in the first National Treasure btw.

Dude's a baller.

His career was truly formed largely on the BBC Sharpe series before feature films. Golden Eye is what thrust him into the spotlight over here though. He remains one of my favorite Bond villains of all time...then again it's probably my favorite Bond film. The N64 game helped with that.

BroncsRule
06-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Yeah, Bronn is pretty good. Id have to say Arya is my favorite character in the books but she's barely in the fourth.

GRRM has said that he's focusing on Aria in "Dance with Dragons", to the tune of 300+ pages.

RhymesayersDU
06-18-2011, 04:14 PM
The ****. You've never seen Lord of the Rings?!

He was the main villain in the first National Treasure btw.

Dude's a baller.

His career was truly formed largely on the BBC Sharpe series before feature films. Golden Eye is what thrust him into the spotlight over here though. He remains one of my favorite Bond villains of all time...then again it's probably my favorite Bond film. The N64 game helped with that.

No, I never saw LOTR, never read the books either. Actually, freshman year of college a buddy lent me the first LOTR and I fell asleep like 20 minutes in, and I never gave it another shot. Maybe I'll go back and try watching it.

Archer81
06-18-2011, 04:25 PM
My favorite characters thus far:

Denaryus (sp), Arya, Jon Snow, Tyrrion.

Honorable mention: Ned, Robert.

Hate: Jeoffrey, Cierse (sp), Sansa (book 1 and the show she is a twit.) Littlefinger (devious ****)

Dislike: Catelyn (just stay in Winterfell...for the love of God...), Jaime, Denaryus' brother.

Im going to start book three soon. Book two gave me a headache. How does this guy write this stuff?

myMind
06-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Im going to start book three soon. Book two gave me a headache. How does this guy write this stuff?

Storm of Swords is the longest and by far the best of the series so far. Enjoy!

Im loving the show, but am a bit peeved at how they are portraying Jon Snow. In the books he seems a lot more solemn and honorable, like Ned Stark.
Im not sure why the character seems off in the show, but he just doesnt seem to be quite as much of a badass...it's probably because they have downplayed the importance of the direwolves. The wolves are supposed to be extensions of they're masters personality. Jon's wolf Ghost is supposed to be mute and eerily calm. Im not sure why they just didnt edit out the sound for Ghost in the show so we couldnt hear him...Oh well.

McDman
06-18-2011, 08:26 PM
GRRM has said that he's focusing on Aria in "Dance with Dragons", to the tune of 300+ pages.

It definitely won't surprise me if she ends up being the main character in the last three books.

TheReverend
06-19-2011, 07:08 PM
:/

I think last weeks ending was substantially superior to the finale. Shouldve ended the book there imo. This was kinda... Obvious

Archer81
06-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I want a dragon.

McDman
06-19-2011, 07:49 PM
:/

I think last weeks ending was substantially superior to the finale. Shouldve ended the book there imo. This was kinda... Obvious

You should write Martin and tell him you disapprove.

TheReverend
06-19-2011, 07:59 PM
You should write Martin and tell him you disapprove.

Not sure I get the point of this post...

Do you:

1. Disagree and think it was a solid finale

2. Disagree because the ending for the book comes across very differently

3. Have no ****ing point whatsoever

Archer81
06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
I liked the finale. True, I knew what was coming, but I thought it was nifty how they pulled it off.

And I still really hate Jeoffrey.

Fedaykin
06-19-2011, 08:12 PM

Books 4 and 5 split the characters in half instead of telling half the story (time wise) each.

Book 5 will be pretty much all Snow, Arya, Dany and the other major characters that were mostly excluded in Book 4.

It'll be interesting to see how they reorganize that in the series if they get that far. I doubt they'd drop half the characters for an entire season.

TheReverend
06-19-2011, 08:13 PM
I liked the finale. True, I knew what was coming, but I thought it was nifty how they pulled it off.

And I still really hate Jeoffrey.

It seemed like an hour long epilogue to me...

Archer81
06-19-2011, 08:17 PM
It seemed like an hour long epilogue to me...

I started reading the first book halfway through the tv series. So I knew what to expect and wondered how they would do it. Not badly done. I try to view it like someone who has not or will not read the books, and from what HBO presented they did a good job. Makes me wish season 2 started this fall rather than next spring though.

Fedaykin
06-19-2011, 08:19 PM
My favorite characters thus far:

Denaryus (sp), Arya, Jon Snow, Tyrrion.

Honorable mention: Ned, Robert.

Hate: Jeoffrey, Cierse (sp), Sansa (book 1 and the show she is a twit.) Littlefinger (devious ****)

Dislike: Catelyn (just stay in Winterfell...for the love of God...), Jaime, Denaryus' brother.

As GRRM is wont to do with his focus on character development, you'll probably end up liking most of your "dislikes" before the end. Just see how much Dany changes in one book/season.

This, of course, excludes the little b****, er, Viserys. (err, and from your hate list Joffrey pretty much stays loathing worthy. In fact, you'll grow to hate him even more profoundly that you do after EP10 =)

RhymesayersDU
06-19-2011, 08:23 PM
I thought the finale was pretty neat, but I haven't read the books so I didn't know what was coming. The last scene with the dragons was pretty sweet.

Archer81
06-19-2011, 08:24 PM
As GRRM is wont to do with his focus on character development, you'll probably end up liking most of your "dislikes" before the end. Just see how much Dany changes in one book/season.
This, of course, excludes the little b****, er, Viserys.

Dany is a completely different character from the beginning of book one to the end of book one. Same girl in the beginning would never **spoiler** walk through fire to hatch dragon eggs Her and Arya both, even Sansa is growing on me a little.

TheReverend
06-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I started reading the first book halfway through the tv series. So I knew what to expect and wondered how they would do it. Not badly done. I try to view it like someone who has not or will not read the books, and from what HBO presented they did a good job. Makes me wish season 2 started this fall rather than next spring though.

I purposely didn't read any because I've loved the series so much but I was pretty let down here. I remember checking my clock and being pissed it was over halfway over because nothing had happened. Literally NOTHING happened until the last 2 minutes and that was pretty obvious from the wedding in episode one.

Fedaykin
06-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Edit: all hidden in case anyone is silly enough to visit forums before watching an episode.

{ The end with Danerys was, stylistically much different from the end of the book. In the book it's made clear that she didn't intend to walk into the pyre but was compelled to do so - also in the book she emerges from the flames with the dragons rather than just kinda hangin' out till the next day when the fire burns out. It was actually fairly disappointing but understandable due to the complexity/expense to do that in a TV series.

Also: In the book there's some serious squick factor as the dragons are nursing from her post-pardum breasts as she emerges. She later referred to as the "Mother Of Dragons" more or less specially because of that. As to why the hell dragons are nursing.. go figure }

TheReverend
06-19-2011, 08:45 PM
Edit: all hidden in case anyone is silly enough to visit forums before watching an episode.

{ The end with Danerys was, stylistically much different from the end of the book. In the book it's made clear that she didn't intend to walk into the pyre but was compelled to do so - also in the book she emerges from the flames with the dragons rather than just kinda hangin' out till the next day when the fire burns out. It was actually fairly disappointing but understandable due to the complexity/expense to do that in a TV series.

Also: In the book there's some serious squick factor as the dragons are nursing from her post-pardum breasts as she emerges. She later referred to as the "Mother Of Dragons" more or less specially because of that. As to why the hell dragons are nursing.. go figure }

Meh, I don't have a problem with that portion of the finale... more the lack of... well... anything else?

What else happened? (also spoiler protecting here) :

Jon left and came back immediately
Arya got a haircut
Geoffrey is still Geoffrey
Cat smacked Jaime

Color me disappointed.

Huge fan of the series now and will have all the books read by season two, but still really disappointed with this finale.

bowtown
06-19-2011, 08:47 PM

I'm going to steal this invisible ghost writing thing.

Fedaykin
06-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Meh, I don't have a problem with that portion of the finale... more the lack of... well... anything else?

What else happened? (also spoiler protecting here) :

Jon left and came back immediately
Arya got a haircut
Geoffrey is still Geoffrey
Cat smacked Jaime

Color me disappointed.

Huge fan of the series now and will have all the books read by season two, but still really disappointed with this finale.

{ I agree, the finale was by far the weakest. They rearranged and vastly cut all the portions after Ned's exection. At least a couple hundred pages that were after that even got cut what little survived (mostly the bits about Jaime's capture and the fighting surrounding that) got moved to "before" Ned's execution instead of after. They really should have done 12 episodes with the pacing they had.

}

The basic problem is GRRM never "ends" any of the books. He just more or less arbitrarily chopped the story into books. He even admits it in his forwards/afterwards heh.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-19-2011, 09:03 PM
That how you it!

bowtown
06-19-2011, 09:05 PM
That how you it!

{I have no idea what the **** your post means.}

TheReverend
06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
The basic problem is GRRM never "ends" any of the books. He just more or less arbitrarily chopped the story into books. He even admits it in his forwards/afterwards heh.

Okay. That's fair. I was expecting more of a RJ finale instead of a "lol to be continued", so it was very frustrating.

Archer81
06-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Okay. That's fair. I was expecting more of a RJ finale instead of a "lol to be continued", so it was very frustrating.

The last episode will make more sense when you get through the first and second books. They had alot to set up.

TheReverend
06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
The last episode will make more sense when you get through the first and second books. They had alot to set up.

....yeah, I think that's inherently obvious. Is a finale the right time to be doing that though? Fedaykin's earlier post addresses why the finale should've been the first part of the next book though.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-19-2011, 11:06 PM
{I have no idea what the **** your post means.}

{I started telling people to us this method to print spoiler.}

06-19-2011, 11:34 PM
ARE YOU A BROTHER OF THE NIGHTS WATCH...OR A BASTARD BOY WHO WANTS TO PLAY AT WAR?

Shananahan
06-20-2011, 12:58 AM
....yeah, I think that's inherently obvious. Is a finale the right time to be doing that though?
I don't think a finale is a bad time at all to set something up. I mean, it sure as Hell usually beats a cliffhanger. When you consider the amount of stuff that had been building and all of the storylines that were falling together, I think it was a perfect way to end the season. It isn't like there was no resolution to anything, either. The paths are now more laid out, and they can hit the ground running next season.

Of course, I haven't read the books so maybe I'm way off base. As a viewer who knew nothing ahead of time I thought it was very well done.

Archer81
06-20-2011, 01:00 AM
....yeah, I think that's inherently obvious. Is a finale the right time to be doing that though? Fedaykin's earlier post addresses why the finale should've been the first part of the next book though.

Considering the nature of the books, there is no real start to the second book. Its just on to the next character. The show had to try and make it clean for TV, but there is no real end of book one start of book two. It only gets more crazy from here.

underrated29
06-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I hear ya rev..

{I thought man i hope we get a good fight scene or something. I could feel all the build up and knew what was going to happen to the hot khaleesi but still. Despite all the build up- which I like, a little more action or perhaps an hour and half finale...Something just a bit more.

The build up of the wall guards leaving, my hot khaleesi, boy stark becoming king of north was great....but aside from that it was boring. More "stuff" was needed.}

TheReverend
06-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I hear ya rev..

{I thought man i hope we get a good fight scene or something. I could feel all the build up and knew what was going to happen to the hot khaleesi but still. Despite all the build up- which I like, a little more action or perhaps an hour and half finale...Something just a bit more.

The build up of the wall guards leaving, my hot khaleesi, boy stark becoming king of north was great....but aside from that it was boring. More "stuff" was needed.}

EXACTLY!

The only plot line that came to a head this week was with the Khaleesi. Everyone else is still in transition. Not cool man :(

Fedaykin
06-20-2011, 10:31 AM
EXACTLY!

The only plot line that came to a head this week was with the Khaleesi. Everyone else is still in transition. Not cool man :(

Get used to everyone being "in transition". There's no "knight shining saves the beautiful princess from the tower and they all live happily ever after" -- because instead of "happily ever after" either the knight or the princess die a brutal death shortly after being married which sets up the next bit of story. =)

TheReverend
06-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Get used to everyone being "in transition". There's no "knight shining saves the beautiful princess from the tower and they all live happily ever after" -- because instead of "happily ever after" either the knight or the princess die a brutal death shortly after being married which sets up the next bit of story. =)

Yup, still has nothing to do with it. In fact, that is what the makes the story so compelling thus far to me.

It'd be great if he would've stopped at the "brutal death" (to borrow your analogy) because it came with a semblance of temporary closure. The complaint is arbitrarily ending the story at a random time that has nothing to do with plot lines and more to do with "Okay, I'm at 300k words, time to stop".

underrated29
06-20-2011, 10:52 AM

I dont have any problems with this. I look forward to it.

While ending anything with a sequel in mind you do want the readers to be on the hook to see whats happeneing next. Which this one did. (little girl boy going off to slave camps or wherever, night watchers ride beyond the wall, stark advances-king of the north, little redhead daughter gets about ready to throw little king off bridge.)

All of that is great, but it was just diologue. Had it had more of what you said of brutal deaths and whatever it would have been better. IMO there is supposed to be a bunch of Action or preclusion's to what is upcoming. Give me a taste of what aya is going. Like we got a taste with Khaleesi- we now know whats happening there and can get excited to see where it plays out.

But the just talking between the fat unich and skinny guy the whole time, or the mom hitting landestor in the face with a rock was not enough. I dont mind that stuff, but I think it could have, perhaps should have been its own episode and then finished off with all the plots coming together. Or like I said perhaps an 1.5 hour finale. But, it is what it is, I would have preferred more but I still cant wait for the next season-whenever that is.

McDman
06-20-2011, 03:16 PM

Just read Arya only has two chapters.

mkporter
06-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Just read Arya only has two chapters.

Hopefully they are long ones.

Archer81
06-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I dont have any problems with this. I look forward to it.

While ending anything with a sequel in mind you do want the readers to be on the hook to see whats happeneing next. Which this one did. (little girl boy going off to slave camps or wherever, night watchers ride beyond the wall, stark advances-king of the north, little redhead daughter gets about ready to throw little king off bridge.)

All of that is great, but it was just diologue. Had it had more of what you said of brutal deaths and whatever it would have been better. IMO there is supposed to be a bunch of Action or preclusion's to what is upcoming. Give me a taste of what aya is going. Like we got a taste with Khaleesi- we now know whats happening there and can get excited to see where it plays out.

But the just talking between the fat unich and skinny guy the whole time, or the mom hitting landestor in the face with a rock was not enough. I dont mind that stuff, but I think it could have, perhaps should have been its own episode and then finished off with all the plots coming together. Or like I said perhaps an 1.5 hour finale. But, it is what it is, I would have preferred more but I still cant wait for the next season-whenever that is.

Littlefinger is a character to watch. The episode with him talking to the two whores gives alot of insight into the character. The general impression I have is that the Starks and the Lannisters were not friendly before Bronn got thrown out of a window. For Jaime to admit he threw the kid out of the window is a justification for Catelynn, and frankly he deserved to get hit in the face with a rock.

The show cannot be what the book is not. The book does not simply end. The show cant simply end. Everything is a precursor for something else. Like Arya riding off with one of Robert's bastards. That sets up the next plotline.

McDman
06-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Littlefinger is a character to watch. The episode with him talking to the two whores gives alot of insight into the character. The general impression I have is that the Starks and the Lannisters were not friendly before Bronn got thrown out of a window. For Jaime to admit he threw the kid out of the window is a justification for Catelynn, and frankly he deserved to get hit in the face with a rock.

The show cannot be what the book is not. The book does not simply end. The show cant simply end. Everything is a precursor for something else. Like Arya riding off with one of Robert's bastards. That sets up the next plotline.

Bran got thrownm out of the window, Bronn is the mercenary who is helping Tyrion.

Kid A
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Whew. Just finished all ten episode in the last few days. I was skeptical. No longer skeptical! Sorry if it's already been said, are they about where the first book ended? Are HBO's plans to keep up with each book he writes as long as they can or cut it off with their own story arc?

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

Fedaykin
06-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Whew. Just finished all ten episode in the last few days. I was skeptical. No longer skeptical! Sorry if it's already been said, are they about where the first book ended? Are HBO's plans to keep up with each book he writes as long as they can or cut it off with their own story arc?

http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif

Series 1 covers all the major elements of book 1. The Dany stuff at the end is the last chapter.

There are two problems with the series finishing the story and following the books in a book=season manner:

a.) The books get more and more complex and long as the series progresses (book 3 is 1200 pages).

a2.) Book 4 and 5 are the same book (which will total in at over 2,000 pages), just split into two volumes with each volume dealing with half the characters (split up in book4 = Westeros, book5 = the wall and across the narrow sea).

b.) Martin has been slow to publish -- the gap between book 4 and five was 6 years. He plans, I think, two more (though it was originally supposed to be a trilogy so who the hell knows), so he has a lot less than 6 years to fart around with each... and if it's 6 years or more each it will be damn hard to believe Jon, Bran Sansa, Arya et al. are children and young teens (even with hollywood suspension of disbelief!) =P Granted, it seems pretty clear he was distracted with this series and/or book5 has been finished a long time and being released at "maximum hype time".

So... I have no answer but there ya have it =P

06-20-2011, 10:33 PM
They will probably split the longer books up into two seasons.

steeledude
06-20-2011, 11:11 PM
I just want to say as a book reader--this series surpasses the fantasy genre. I read upthread Martin being compared to Jordan and Goodkind, and I'm just going to say not on their best days. Martin writes far better, more compelling storylines. Those first three books are a thing of beauty. The fourth was a definite bore...but with the fifth slated to be released soon I think there is a chance for redemption.

I wholeheartedly recommend people read the books first. They are phenomenal.

One thing I am upset about is how Jaime isn't portrayed as the ultimate bad ass he is in the books. That scene where he and Ned fought in the series was crap, Ned in the books wouldn't have stood a chance against Jaime. When Jaime got to fighting in the books, as a reader, you got terrified. The Whispering Wood was a real missed opportunity.

myMind
06-21-2011, 12:53 AM
One thing I am upset about is how Jaime isn't portrayed as the ultimate bad ass he is in the books. That scene where he and Ned fought in the series was crap, Ned in the books wouldn't have stood a chance against Jaime. When Jaime got to fighting in the books, as a reader, you got terrified. The Whispering Wood was a real missed opportunity.

[As far as I can recall we only get to read a scene where Jaime is actually fighting once in the series.When he and Brienne are fighting in the shallows of the Trident. Everything else is just his reputation that makes people fear him.
Correct me if I'm wrong please.
We do get him or others recalling his tourney victories, and how he cut through men in the whispering wood, but nothing present tense aside from the formentioned event.]
He is a badass though:thumbs:

Fedaykin
06-21-2011, 08:17 AM
I just want to say as a book reader--this series surpasses the fantasy genre. I read upthread Martin being compared to Jordan and Goodkind, and I'm just going to say not on their best days. Martin writes far better, more compelling storylines. Those first three books are a thing of beauty. The fourth was a definite bore...but with the fifth slated to be released soon I think there is a chance for redemption.

{ His supposed prowess is mostly rep from tournament wins. In the book his armies get defeated with relative ease by a mere boy (Robb) and he never actually has to fight anyone in single combat until he and Brienne go at it. Plus, as he laments in the books, he's now "old" (late 30s) and really peaked at about 17. He's done nothing more than serve as a glorified body guard for going on 20 years. }

McDman
06-21-2011, 08:32 AM

It's been awhile since I read the. First one but I remember the fight being closer than that.

lostknight
06-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I just want to say as a book reader--this series surpasses the fantasy genre. I read upthread Martin being compared to Jordan and Goodkind, and I'm just going to say not on their best days.

I'm just going to disgree here. Martin is the best pure writer, but over the long run, the universe in WoT is far more interesting. Goodkind's a blowhard.

Of course, I would argue that Sanderson and Rothfuss are better then the lot of them.

Our perceptions are really different then. Jamie's not particularly effective ever. Tyrion was a better commander in the first book then Jamie is, and we never really see Jamie do anything except loose battles, **** Cersei and generally b**** and moan.

steeledude
06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
It's been awhile since I read the. First one but I remember the fight being closer than that.

There was no fight. Jaime rode away and his men killed the northmen and stabbed Ned. It was actually a far more descriptive and intense moment than the show. Nerd that my friends and I are, we pulled the scene from the book while my buddy read it aloud after that happened in the show (because the show's scene seemed very weak).

steeledude
06-21-2011, 08:59 AM
I'm just going to disgree here. Martin is the best pure writer, but over the long run, the universe in WoT is far more interesting. Goodkind's a blowhard.

Of course, I would argue that Sanderson and Rothfuss are better then the lot of them.

Our perceptions are really different then. Jamie's not particularly effective ever. Tyrion was a better commander in the first book then Jamie is, and we never really see Jamie do anything except loose battles, **** Cersei and generally b**** and moan.

You're right, he is built up as essentially ineffective overall, but his reputation was one that brought fear early on. And in the show he never shows that. And remember in the Whispering Wood, he would have killed Robb, he was cutting Northmen down left and right charging Robb, and it was Greywind who intervened and saved him. The bastard was a poor leader and did blundering things, but his skill was supposed to be amazing.

s0phr0syne
06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
I'm only a show-watcher, haven't read the books, but...

I thought his reputation was well demonstrated in the scene where he is confronted by Robb after being captured and his proposes to settle the whole war by fighting Robb. Regardless of whether he is actually amazing or not (became the "Kingslayer" by a literal back stab), Robb respected Jamie's rep enough to not fall into that trap.

Also Ned seemed to have his own skepticism about Jamie's opponents, etc.

myMind
06-21-2011, 01:54 PM
There was no fight. Jaime rode away and his men killed the northmen and stabbed Ned.

Ned's horse actually gets spooked by the fighting and falls on Ned, breaking his leg. He never gets cut in the book, til his head is removed at the end.

McDman
06-21-2011, 04:46 PM
There was no fight. Jaime rode away and his men killed the northmen and stabbed Ned. It was actually a far more descriptive and intense moment than the show. Nerd that my friends and I are, we pulled the scene from the book while my buddy read it aloud after that happened in the show (because the show's scene seemed very weak).

It's crazy how I can't remember something like that. I do remember the horse breaking his leg now.

Jesterhole
06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't see how people who don't read the books would enjoy the show. There is too much missing information. The larger plot hasn't even been hinted at yet, the three eyed crow and Hodor are an afterthought. Shae's character is all wrong. In fact, the only one that I'm impressed with so far is Dany. The rest aren't nearly as interesting as their book counterparts.

Tyrion still steals the show, and you don't even get to hear all the hilarous inner dialogue he has during his chapters. Such a waste...

Kid A
06-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't see how people who don't read the books would enjoy the show. There is too much missing information. The larger plot hasn't even been hinted at yet, the three eyed crow and Hodor are an afterthought. Shae's character is all wrong. In fact, the only one that I'm impressed with so far is Dany. The rest aren't nearly as interesting as their book counterparts.

Tyrion still steals the show, and you don't even get to hear all the hilarous inner dialogue he has during his chapters. Such a waste...

You sound like anyone who's had a favorite book translated to film. I've never read a word of these books, but I can say this one of the more impressive TV shows I've seen in a while, on every level (and it has also has provided more than enough information every episode to make it a task to keep up at times).

Understand that novels are uniquely suited for 1) putting you in the mind of a character and 2) transmitting large amounts of detail and information. Film simply can't do those things well, nor should it try. A great book and a great TV show have to do very different things in terms of pacing and balancing screen time for characters. Compared to a book series running thousands of pages the show might look simplified, but so would any TV show, even those as complicated as The Wire or The Sopranos. Likewise, what they can provide (striking visuals, great acting performances, etc) can't be replicated on paper.

Take them for what they are. I love books about travel and adventure, putting me in middle of the head and experiences of the writer. But I also love watching documentaries and shows about those same places for totally different reasons.

I would also note that, while given little screen time, it's been made fairly explicit that the visions of the raven and several of the minor characters are going to be really important down the road. We may not have read as much, but we TV viewers aren't so slow.

Kid A
06-21-2011, 08:44 PM
Also, found some great charts mapping the character relationship throughout Season 1: http://hauteslides.com/2011/05/game-of-thrones-infographic-illustrated-guide-to-houses-and-character-relationships/

If you scroll down you can see one for each episode. As I mentioned in my tl;dr message above, you can see that even in episode 1 there was more than enough to keep a tv viewer spinning to keep up.

steeledude
06-21-2011, 10:20 PM
It's crazy how I can't remember something like that. I do remember the horse breaking his leg now.

I know, I always remembered Jaime as being there through the whole scene too. It is a phenomenal scene in the books though.

RhymesayersDU
06-21-2011, 10:27 PM
You sound like anyone who's had a favorite book translated to film. I've never read a word of these books, but I can say this one of the more impressive TV shows I've seen in a while, on every level (and it has also has provided more than enough information every episode to make it a task to keep up at times).

I want to echo this. I've never read these books either, but it's an awesome TV show. And I know the feeling of reading a book and the movie or TV show not doing it exactly how it was written, so I get the original post as well. But the GOT is awesome.

McDman
06-22-2011, 03:39 AM

I'm hoping the next season they won't treat it like a miniseries and limit it to 10 episodes., it needs to be around 20. If that happens then they can do the series justice and go inm depth.

I have a feeling they weren't sure that it was going to get picked up for a second season so they limited the first.

tnedator
06-22-2011, 05:26 AM
I'm hoping the next season they won't treat it like a miniseries and limit it to 10 episodes., it needs to be around 20. If that happens then they can do the series justice and go inm depth.

I have a feeling they weren't sure that it was going to get picked up for a second season so they limited the first.

Typically, HBO seems to do 10-13 episodes a year for it's hour long shows. I don't think there is any chance we would see a 20 episode season from HBO.

TonyR
06-22-2011, 05:37 AM
I don't see how people who don't read the books would enjoy the show.

I think you have it exactly backwards, and your post basically proves my point with your complaints about the show. I never enjoy movie/tv versions of books because you can never convey as much on screen as you can in a book. The screen version is almost always going to be inferior. I really like this show and have never read the books, and never will.

underrated29
06-22-2011, 10:50 AM
This is the reason why I am not reading the books. Maybe after the shows are completely done.

But when, ever in the history of film and books has the movie ever come close to the novel?

Answer- NEVER. The book is 100% always better. Everytime.

So of course, you are not going to like it as much because you were able to use your imagination and get so much more indepth focus and details from the book. Its just the way it.

For me personally as one who originally had no intention of ever watching the show. I think it is quite possibly the best show I have ever seen on TV as far as series or anything else goes. They done censer as much, its vulger at times with words, and tons of nudity, and just the brashness each person envokes. It actually makes you feel like you are living in those times and not watching a movie about those times....Like lord of the rings- felt like I was watching a movie of those times, this series I feel like I am IN those times because it is so much more real. (to me anyhow)

I know people listed their fav characters but I do not know all the names yet. Here are mine:

1. the imp midget- dude cracks me up-by far my fav.
2. the snow? boy with the wolf that became a night watcher
3. the half bro or friend of the new king of the north-whose father faught in the rebellion, he also saved the kid who got pushed out the window with his bow and arrow- that guy
4. Khaleesi- cuz she is badass, i bet she is the ultimate badass and super hot to go with it.
5. Aya- cuz she is a little badass too. Stabbing fat kids and all.

tnedator
06-22-2011, 11:12 AM
For me personally as one who originally had no intention of ever watching the show. I think it is quite possibly the best show I have ever seen on TV as far as series or anything else goes. They done censer as much, its vulger at times with words, and tons of nudity, and just the brashness each person envokes. It actually makes you feel like you are living in those times and not watching a movie about those times....Like lord of the rings- felt like I was watching a movie of those times, this series I feel like I am IN those times because it is so much more real. (to me anyhow)

If you like all those things about Game of Thrones, you need to check out Stars Spartacus series. Much the same raw feel. The other two HBO series that are gone, but had that same edge and worth watching if you have seen them was Rome and Deadwood.

ZONA
06-22-2011, 12:55 PM
This is the reason why I am not reading the books. Maybe after the shows are completely done.

But when, ever in the history of film and books has the movie ever come close to the novel?

Answer- NEVER. The book is 100% always better. Everytime.

Bull**** - that's your opinion and that's it. One of my favorite examples would be Jurassic Park. It was a great book but when I saw the movie, I was blown away. Those dinosaur's were better then what my imagination came up with. It really depends on who's making the movie.

myMind
06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I know people listed their fav characters but I do not know all the names yet. Here are mine:

1. the imp midget- dude cracks me up-by far my fav. -Tyrion Lannister
2. the snow? boy with the wolf that became a night watcher -Jon Snow
3. the half bro or friend of the new king of the north-whose father faught in the rebellion, he also saved the kid who got pushed out the window with his bow and arrow- that guy -Theon Greyjoy
4. Khaleesi- cuz she is badass, i bet she is the ultimate badass and super hot to go with it. -Daenerys Targaryen
5. Aya- cuz she is a little badass too. Stabbing fat kids and all. -Arya Stark

fixed

myMind
06-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Bull**** - that's your opinion and that's it. One of my favorite examples would be Jurassic Park. It was a great book but when I saw the movie, I was blown away. Those dinosaur's were better then what my imagination came up with. It really depends on who's making the movie.

this, and Lord of the Rings came damn close

underrated29
06-22-2011, 03:32 PM
fixed

Gracias!

And interesting. You two are the only two I have ever heard to say a movie is better than the book. Not that I take public polls on that or anything like that but still.

I wonder who else thinks that way.?

Fedaykin
06-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Gracias!

And interesting. You two are the only two I have ever heard to say a movie is better than the book. Not that I take public polls on that or anything like that but still.

I wonder who else thinks that way.?

I'd say there are several movies better than the books:

The Princess Bride
The Shawshank Redemption
Jaws

and others.

Generally these fall into the category of "Hey that book has an overall good story but the actual details are terrible, let's adapt it and make it better". It's roughly equivalent to why Empire Strikes back is far and away the best Star Wars movie -- Lucas wasn't involved in the details but rather just the overall story.

There there's the movies that are "based" on books but both are good for different reasons. A good example of that is Starship Troopers. The movie and the book are nothing alike -- not thematically, not based on plot or even basic characterization. However, both the book at the movie are "good" (IMHO). The movie is good because of its satirical content and the book is good because of its philosophical content (the book follows Rico's military career from his recruit days to high ranking officer days and is a examination of civic responsibility, sufferage and the realities of war and the people who fight).

In the case of Game of Thrones - I am impressed at the creators ability to take something that is a good on screen adaption of a much more "heady" story. By that I mean a lot of the content of the books is based on the inner monologue of the characters (Tyrion in particular) with the action sequences generally left primarily up to the reader's imagination. To see this type of novel adapted to screen in a terrible fashion, see the original Dune movie.

TheReverend
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
I'd say there are several movies better than the books:

The Princess Bride
The Shawshank Redemption
Jaws

and others.

Generally these fall into the category of "Hey that book has an overall good story but the actual details are terrible, let's adapt it and make it better". It's roughly equivalent to why Empire Strikes back is far and away the best Star Wars movie -- Lucas wasn't involved in the details but rather just the overall story.

There there's the movies that are "based" on books but both are good for different reasons. A good example of that is Starship Troopers. The movie and the book are nothing alike -- not thematically, not based on plot or even basic characterization. However, both the book at the movie are "good" (IMHO). The movie is good because of its satirical content and the book is good because of its philosophical content (the book follows Rico's military career from his recruit days to high ranking officer days and is a examination of civic responsibility, sufferage and the realities of war and the people who fight).

In the case of Game of Thrones - I am impressed at the creators ability to take something that is a good on screen adaption of a much more "heady" story. By that I mean a lot of the content of the books is based on the inner monologue of the characters (Tyrion in particular) with the action sequences generally left primarily up to the reader's imagination. To see this type of novel adapted to screen in a terrible fashion, see the original Dune movie.

Fantastic post

Rock Chalk
06-22-2011, 05:18 PM
this, and Lord of the Rings came damn close

No, it didn't. THe trilogies are probably the best adaption that COULD have been done but they didn't even come close to the books.

Except in one small regard. THe movie Balrog was just kick ass.