PDA

View Full Version : OT: Game of Thrones Major Spoiler Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Boobs McGee
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
The Dragon Queen is Dany obviously. The Dragon Prince killed by Robert was named Rhaegar, he and Dany were brother and sister. Aegon is Rhaegar's son and therefore Danys nephew. Not going to go into any spoilers as you havent finished reading. When you're done come back and Im sure we all can answer anything you may still be confused about. :thumbsup:

Just finished. thanks for the summation, thats what I THOUGHT was going on but u was a little confused, especially where connington fit in.

Anywho, holy ****. Ho.ly. ****. No one is safe!!!! Grrm better steo his game up, cause if I have to wait five more years im gonna be PISSED!!!

Chris
07-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Is this about the books or the show? I'm finally caught up with the show. If it's the books, I'll have to stay away.

Boobs McGee
07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
It's started about the show (I think), but now it's mostly about the books. Everyone's being pretty good about wrapping "spoiler" texts around the important stuff.

And ps, you need to start the books asap, cause they will bloooow yooooooour miiiiiiind.

Kaylore
07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
It's started about the show (I think), but now it's mostly about the books. Everyone's being pretty good about wrapping "spoiler" texts around the important stuff.

And ps, you need to start the books asap, cause they will bloooow yooooooour miiiiiiind.

http://gifsoup.com/view/254455/blow-your-mind-o.gif

Totally agree.

Chris
07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Ohh weeeeewwy?

http://courseware.codeschool.com/images/blog/node-mind-blown.gif

Boobs McGee
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Yes, weewyyyy
http://cdn.chud.com/9/90/90374be9_mind_blown.gif

Jay3
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
Just finished. thanks for the summation, thats what I THOUGHT was going on but u was a little confused, especially where connington fit in.

While I've enjoyed the books, my main criticism of Martin would be that he starts too many different factions, too many different things going on, at a point where he needs to be reeling it in, bringing things together.

Boobs McGee
07-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Ya know, I kind of agree with you...it wouldn't be so bad IF he was pumping these out with a little more regularity. According to him, he plans on having two 1500 pagers to close things out, which would be MORE than enough writing to reel it all in. But having to wait for 10 years might propel the dissatisfaction that you have (and a lot of people share).

Are there some specific examples you're referring to, or were you talking in more of a general term?

jerseyguy4
07-06-2012, 12:09 PM
While I've enjoyed the books, my main criticism of Martin would be that he starts too many different factions, too many different things going on, at a point where he needs to be reeling it in, bringing things together.
Try the Wheel of Time series by Jordan. Thrice as bad.

Jay3
07-06-2012, 12:54 PM

I read the first three, back in the day when they were coming out. I caught on to what he was doing.

I feel a little ashamed it took me three honking books, all the while thinking "maybe, just maybe . . . ."

I rode the short bus.

BroncsRule
07-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Yep. the fear with GRRM is that he's going to go "full Jordan" on us.

jerseyguy4
07-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Hey, I love the Jordan books too. Just saying there's considerably more characters and more plot lines than the GRRM series

Reading a complex series like this is easy for me if I read it after it is completely written, and therefore I can read one book after the other until I'm done. It's the waiting game between books that drives me nuts. This last Martin book took so long to come out that I had practically forgotten everything.

For the person who now starts the Jordan series, I think they're in for a good ride. Same for the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series (which I also really liked). But I talk to lots of people who just caught up to Martin's series....and I know the trash talk will now begin as they wait for more books.

Boobs McGee
07-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I've been left wanting at this point, so I'm looking at finding a new series to read. Bought and read the first Hunger Games book this weekend (wasn't a huge fan), so can I get some recomendations as to another good fantasy/sci-fi book?

What is the "full Jordan" you guys are talking about with the Wheel series? Is that something I want to stay away from?

Haven't read Dune, is that pretty decent?

The last time I really got into a series (aside from the Song of Ice and Fire) , was the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was in my teenage years, and I loved it.

myMind
07-09-2012, 09:01 AM
I've been left wanting at this point, so I'm looking at finding a new series to read. Bought and read the first Hunger Games book this weekend (wasn't a huge fan), so can I get some recomendations as to another good fantasy/sci-fi book?

What is the "full Jordan" you guys are talking about with the Wheel series? Is that something I want to stay away from?

The last time I really got into a series (aside from the Song of Ice and Fire) , was the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was in my teenage years, and I loved it.

The Dune Series is one of the greatest acheivments in the history of SciFi literature. I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you want fantasy though try either The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson or The Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker. Both are excellent.

Kaylore
07-09-2012, 09:26 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HeRRCxCLN54/T5lPxM8wC_I/AAAAAAAAAPw/X_TlfWiQ2pY/s1600/george-rr-martin.jpg

The picture of health!

Boobs McGee
07-09-2012, 09:53 AM
The Dune Series is one of the greatest acheivments in the history of SciFi literature. I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you want fantasy though try either The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson or The Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker. Both are excellent.

Thanks! I'll start looking into them.

lolcopter
07-10-2012, 04:41 PM
http://gifsoup.com/view/254455/blow-your-mind-o.gif

http://courseware.codeschool.com/images/blog/node-mind-blown.gif

Yes, weewyyyy
http://cdn.chud.com/9/90/90374be9_mind_blown.gif

http://tifr.us/storage/post-images/Tim-Eric-Mind-Blown-__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1316658161000.gif

elsid13
07-10-2012, 04:57 PM

At least Jordan had a plan on how it would all come together and left detail notes after he died on how he wanted it to end. I still believe that Martin doesn't have clue on how he wants to wrap it up.

elsid13
07-10-2012, 05:02 PM

The Book of the Fallen are good, but be prepared for a whole host of characters that fall in and out of the 11 books. It is difficult at times to keep all them straight when there are minor characters in one book, that become major players in another then completely disappear for the rest of the series.

myMind
07-10-2012, 06:36 PM
The Book of the Fallen are good, but be prepared for a whole host of characters that fall in and out of the 11 books. It is difficult at times to keep all them straight when there are minor characters in one book, that become major players in another then completely disappear for the rest of the series.

While this is true, the first 7 or 8 books are pretty much self-contained. Each book also has a complete character glossary so I never really found it hard to keep track of who is who.

Taco John
07-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Warning! Huge Game of Thrones Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/3D9dy.jpg

Chris
07-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Warning! Huge Game of Thrones Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/3D9dy.jpg

Is this a spoiler for those that are up to date with the TV show?

Boobs McGee
07-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Hahaha

Boobs McGee
07-11-2012, 03:07 PM
@ Chris- just click it bro , its a giant spoiler but worth it

elsid13
07-11-2012, 03:13 PM
While this is true, the first 7 or 8 books are pretty much self-contained. Each book also has a complete character glossary so I never really found it hard to keep track of who is who.

It little harder when you take a couple of years reading between books as I did, it very good series but it very epic in scale which means lots of different charactors. Also I recommend Ian Esslemont spin offs that close a lot of loose ends of the main books.

Taco John
07-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Is this a spoiler for those that are up to date with the TV show?

No one is safe.

scorpio
07-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Dune is rad. Read it. Read all of them, except the ones by his son (Brian Herbert). Those are stupid.

Chris
07-11-2012, 03:45 PM
No one is safe.

Damnit. Adding these books to the pile is really the straw that broke the camel's back in so far as my endless reading list is concerned. Speed listening here I come.

elsid13
07-11-2012, 04:01 PM

The best Fantasy Book/Series I read in long time is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It very very very good. I read the 500 plus pages in less two days because I was so into that book and follow on one.

Also I liked JV Jones Sword of Shadows series. It is very solid read

And of course Cook's Black Company series which is master piece.

Dutch
07-12-2012, 08:49 AM
The best Fantasy Book/Series I read in long time is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It very very very good. I read the 500 plus pages in less two days because I was so into that book and follow on one.

Also I liked JV Jones Sword of Shadows series. It is very solid read

And of course Cook's Black Company series which is master piece.

Big fan of those as well, Elsid.

BroncsRule
07-12-2012, 09:56 AM

"The Full Jordan" means the author allowing the story to get away from him/her - creating 30 or more Points of View, 250+ significant characters and 1,200+ minor ones - and then dying.

Agree whole heartedly with the Rothfuss suggestion.

I also like Brian Sanderson (the guy annointed to sort out the Robert Jordan mess and finish Wheel of Time) and Joe Abercrombie, among the newer authors - and if you haven't read Dune, there may be a whole bunch of classic, classic series that you missed back in the '80;s and '90's: Try David Eddings or Barbara Hambly or Anne McCaffrey..

Oh - and Dune is awesome.

Boobs McGee
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone (and the Full Jordan Definition)...definitely checking out Dune first. That series was finished properly, correct?

Once I wrap those up, I'll come back and start with the next set!

Boobs McGee
07-12-2012, 10:17 AM
JUST REMEMBERED! When I was younger, I read a bunch of the Xanth series (piers anthony). From what I recall, they were fun, easy to read fantasy books. Thinking about grabbing one from kindle...anyone recently read any of the newer ones? Are they considered more "teen" books?

BroncsRule
07-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Xanth is certainly light hearted and tounge in cheek - and appropriate for young adults. If you like Xanth, try Terry Pratchett's Diskwold.

scorpio
07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony is good, or at least I really liked it when I was younger.

You might also dig "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Much darker and more adult. "Neverwhere" and "Stardust" are both good also.

jerseyguy4
07-12-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone (and the Full Jordan Definition)...definitely checking out Dune first. That series was finished properly, correct?

Once I wrap those up, I'll come back and start with the next set!
I read the Dune series but wasn't as big a fan as some here. There are some big time and generation gaps between books (making each book it's own story). It didn't have that "series" feel to it, for me.

You could say it finished properly, because each book was its own story. But I don't think that term really applies to Dune.

Jordan's Wheel of Time is a continuous story. As others said, he did die before it ended, but purposely left all the detail to have a successor complete it. Brandon Sanderson has finished thee LAST book and it comes out in January. As diverse and sprawling as any story can be, it is still truly awesome.

Earlier in this thread I also mentioned Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It's a bit more simple than either Martin or Jordan, but quite good nonetheless. I thought the series started off a little predictable, but the books (and Goodkind's writing) got better as they went along. Book 6 (Faith of the Fallen) was one of my favorite books of any series, or any genre for that matter.

One more good one - Sharon Kay Penman - Here be Dragons. It's a historical fiction 3 book series. Set around 1100-1200 AD in England and Wales. Short review -> it's awesome.

On a sour note, anyone read or like Terry Brooks Shannara series? I read most of them. I thought they were terrible. Simple, predictable, cookie cutter, and boring. Funny part is I read at least 7 of them, maybe 9, until I finally called it quits. I was just hooked on series books at the time.

BroncsRule
07-12-2012, 12:37 PM
I read the Dune series but wasn't as big a fan as some here. There are some big time and generation gaps between books (making each book it's own story). It didn't have that "series" feel to it, for me.

You could say it finished properly, because each book was its own story. But I don't think that term really applies to Dune.

Jordan's Wheel of Time is a continuous story. As others said, he did die before it ended, but purposely left all the detail to have a successor complete it. Brandon Sanderson has finished thee LAST book and it comes out in January. As diverse and sprawling as any story can be, it is still truly awesome.

Earlier in this thread I also mentioned Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It's a bit more simple than either Martin or Jordan, but quite good nonetheless. I thought the series started off a little predictable, but the books (and Goodkind's writing) got better as they went along. Book 6 (Faith of the Fallen) was one of my favorite books of any series, or any genre for that matter.

One more good one - Sharon Kay Penman - Here be Dragons. It's a historical fiction 3 book series. Set around 1100-1200 AD in England and Wales. Short review -> it's awesome.

On a sour note, anyone read or like Terry Brooks Shannara series? I read most of them. I thought they were terrible. Simple, predictable, cookie cutter, and boring. Funny part is I read at least 7 of them, maybe 9, until I finally called it quits. I was just hooked on series books at the time.

Thanks for the release date on the last WOT - I had not heard that. Also thanks for the "Here be Dragons" - i like historical fiction as a changeup. Ever read Guy Gavriel Kay?

I gave up on Goodkind after the 3rd book. Seemed like he was going all Ayn Rand, and I couldn't hang.

And yeah - Terry Brooks sucks. Only ever read one of 'em - way back in the day.. Was the first one called "Sword of Shanara? I think that was it.

Taco John
07-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I start Sword of Storms again this weekend. I'm finding that my second read-through of the series is just as epic as my first. I'm picking up on little details that I didn't catch the first time around - and the significance of certain events. Robert and Ned in the forest. Bran's dream before he wakes up. Ned's dreams while he's on the Milk of the Poppy. John Snow's wharg experience. Catelyn and Jamie's conversation in the cells. The ambition of Highgarden. Danery's visions in the house of the undying.

I'm really looking forward to reading through this third book again. So much happens in it, and I'm excited to find new details that I missed before.

broncolife
09-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Just started listening to 4th audio book. Im about 2 hours in and I was wondering where the hell are the main characters. I was getting so bored I had to check the net and see what was up. I was pissed to see that 2 of my fav characters are not in it (Snow and Tyrion.) And my other fav character is hardly in it. (Arya.) Im going to have a hard time gettng through this book. Its like reading a Harry Potter book with no Harry in it.

broncolife
09-05-2012, 11:26 PM
There is a rumor Ned stark had another bastard.

broncolife
09-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Derek Snow

ZONA
09-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Just started listening to 4th audio book. Im about 2 hours in and I was wondering where the hell are the main characters. I was getting so bored I had to check the net and see what was up. I was pissed to see that 2 of my fav characters are not in it (Snow and Tyrion.) And my other fav character is hardly in it. (Arya.) Im going to have a hard time gettng through this book. Its like reading a Harry Potter book with no Harry in it.

I haven't read the books but after watching the series for 2 years now, this is one of the things that I find sorta frustrating. So many characters, you can't possibly keep them all going or go into any great depth on most of them.

Fedaykin
09-06-2012, 02:57 AM

Book 4 & 5 are one giant book, split up toughly by geography/character set. Everyone you're missing is featured in B5.

Jay3
09-06-2012, 04:13 AM

This is the critique I was making earlier in the thread -- Martin doesn't seem to be able to bring things back home and wrap up like a novel should. He keeps starting new character subplots, more moving parts. Just wait until you that some of them come to nothing, and have no effect on the overall plot.

He writes like he's writing for a weekly TV show that never ends, rather than a novel.

Jay3
09-06-2012, 04:14 AM
Book 4 & 5 are one giant book, split up toughly by geography/character set. Everyone you're missing is featured in B5.

And reading these in real time ( when they were published), you would go 11 years without reading about the characters that are not mentioned in B4.

BroncsRule
09-06-2012, 05:34 AM
This is the critique I was making earlier in the thread -- Martin doesn't seem to be able to bring things back home and wrap up like a novel should. He keeps starting new character subplots, more moving parts. Just wait until you that some of them come to nothing, and have no effect on the overall plot.

He writes like he's writing for a weekly TV show that never ends, rather than a novel.

Interesting observation. I remember reading somewhere (probably on his blog) that GRRM cut his teeth writing for TV back in the '80's..

TheReverend
09-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Interesting observation. I remember reading somewhere (probably on his blog) that GRRM cut his teeth writing for TV back in the '80's..

He was already decently established by that time, but yes, he did work for tv for a while

Kaylore
09-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Mods, please don't move this thread. PLEEEEEASEEE

TheReverend
09-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Mods, please don't move this thread. PLEEEEEASEEE

This.

If we can leave a ****ing baseball thread, we can leave something way better :)

TheReverend
09-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Favor...

Can someone photoshop Peyton's head here:

http://starcasm.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Game_of_Throne_Ned_Stark.jpg

A Peyton Is Coming meme could be sweet.

Rascal
09-10-2012, 01:54 PM
When is book 6 supposed to come out? Just started book 4.

Eldorado
09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
Season one was dope. Gonna have to 'find a way' to get season 2.

TheReverend
09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
http://www.lolwtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1340538343.jpg

Broncos_OTM
09-19-2012, 01:18 PM

tubeplus.com is your friend

Kaylore
09-19-2012, 01:41 PM

This is a cool gif I found.
http://i.imgur.com/xN2Ud.gif

v2micca
09-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Seems as good a place as any on the internet to bitch about Peter Dinklage getting robbed at the Emmy Awards. Don't get me wrong. I love me some Breaking Bad. And this past season just keeps getting better and better. But this past season Jesse Pinkman never had a single moment anywhere close to Tyrion Lanister's Blackwater speech. And Dinklage seriously owned that moment.

Taco John
09-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Seems as good a place as any on the internet to b**** about Peter Dinklage getting robbed at the Emmy Awards. Don't get me wrong. I love me some Breaking Bad. And this past season just keeps getting better and better. But this past season Jesse Pinkman never had a single moment anywhere close to Tyrion Lanister's Blackwater speech. And Dinklage seriously owned that moment.

Not to mention the scene with Shae after that when she came to visit him after the battle. That was some quality acting.

houghtam
10-01-2012, 12:15 AM
So, I know all you are already a bunch of nerds for talking about snarks and grumkins in a public place.

And I know for a fact that several of you are into World of Warcraft or at least Diablo III.

And I really don't care how big of a nerd you all think me to be (because you can probably multiply that by X and you still won't be close)...

SO....

I have begun to adapt a pencil and paper RPG for the Game of Thrones setting. (Yes, I realize there already is one, and I've seen it...it isn't very good) I was wondering if there would be anyone out there interested in giving it a try.

What I'm looking for at the moment is some people to help me iron out some of the kinks and help playtest...I will also have my first "official" campaign starting around the first of the year.

But I'd really like to get a small group from here together and help put some interesting stories together and see how it works.

If you're interested, send me a PM. I already play a few pencil and paper RPGs with some other groups over Skype, Ventrilo, and the like...the lore and "realism" (as far as fantasy goes) of Game of Thrones is just to ripe not to try and pick the fruit.

So send me a PM. I promise not to out your nerd-dom to the rest of the board.

TheReverend
10-03-2012, 02:31 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jOrzRP7ZuKY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cutthemdown
10-03-2012, 04:52 PM
I haven't read the books but after watching the series for 2 years now, this is one of the things that I find sorta frustrating. So many characters, you can't possibly keep them all going or go into any great depth on most of them.

It does get frustrating but the show is still so engrossing I can't stop watching. It gets slow at times, lacks action, but then the payoff is its epic nature and twisting plot lines. It keeps you guessing.

I did have to go online a few times to read the back stories on the characters. It gets hard to follow sometimes.

Chris
10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
It does get frustrating but the show is still so engrossing I can't stop watching. It gets slow at times, lacks action, but then the payoff is its epic nature and twisting plot lines. It keeps you guessing.

I did have to go online a few times to read the back stories on the characters. It gets hard to follow sometimes.

I have a feeling xbox / microsoft smartglass will let you track who you're watching and get their bios instantly.

cutthemdown
10-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I have a feeling xbox / microsoft smartglass will let you track who you're watching and get their bios instantly.

That would be handy. Funny a show can be popular, but sort of piss people off at same time. I guess that is the sign of a great story that is hard to tell.

cutthemdown
10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
That movie coming out Cloud Atlas supposedly switches time frames in drastic ways. Sounds really hard to film. I will probably go check that out.

Chris
10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
That movie coming out Cloud Atlas supposedly switches time frames in drastic ways. Sounds really hard to film. I will probably go check that out.

I saw Cloud Atlas not this past weekend but the one before in a screening with the Wachowskis. I enjoyed it. Good, not great. There's nothing particularly intellectual about the movie but it doesn't take long to adapt to the construct. It's set up in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

Anyways I came in here to post this

http://img3.etsystatic.com/006/0/6545693/il_570xN.356376339_ops5.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/104356743/game-of-thrones-inspired-toilet-decal

broncosteven
10-15-2012, 02:14 PM
I saw Cloud Atlas not this past weekend but the one before in a screening with the Wachowskis. ...[/url]

Is is true that they are now Brother and Sister now?

Chris
10-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Is is true that they are now Brother and Sister now?

Yes, and Lana, formerly Lara was an incredibly funny and awesome interviewee. If you didn't know you wouldn't notice.

Taco John
10-15-2012, 02:39 PM

I've been trying to get to that book, but I"m too engrossed in this one. I'm on my third readthrough now... Never been this engrossed in a book series.

Chris
10-15-2012, 02:41 PM
I've been trying to get to that book, but I"m too engrossed in this one. I'm on my third readthrough now... Never been this engrossed in a book series.

Ma kindle paperweight arrives Thursday. A-schwing!

P.S. if any maner attempts to hit up the armoured car and steal my paperwhite I WILL KNOW IT'S YOU.

TheReverend
10-15-2012, 02:49 PM

I hope you read the Dunk and Egg novellas before the 2 additional read-throughs....

Boobs McGee
10-15-2012, 03:11 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjIxMDc3MTUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEzNTY1Ng@@._ V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

This is almost exactly what I pictured Tormund Giantsbane looking like! Great casting job (imo)

EDIT: minus the flannel haha

Eldorado
10-15-2012, 03:20 PM
So, who else thought season 2 flopped a little?

Chris
10-15-2012, 03:25 PM

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/crickets.gif

TheReverend
10-15-2012, 03:27 PM

It did. It's lacking that "Ned Stark" moment from S1/Book One, but rest assured season 3 will eclipse both combined.

Drunk Monkey
10-15-2012, 05:07 PM
http://www.lolwtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1340538343.jpg

I just read the Red Wedding, would you people please stop pestering Martin

myMind
10-15-2012, 05:25 PM
Uhh...maybe put that in spoiler tags DM. Dont want people putting two and two together if they havent read the books.

houghtam
10-15-2012, 07:46 PM
It did. It's lacking that "Ned Stark" moment from S1/Book One, but rest assured season 3 will eclipse both combined.

From a cinematic perspective, though, I can see why they made a lot of the choices they did. Even Martin said that books 2 and 3 kind of run together. A bit difficult to fit in the chronology AND all the different characters in 10 1 hour episodes. That's why I think reading the books in addition to watching the show helps a ton.

Old Dude
02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Ouch, I feel old.

My teenage heart throb, Dianna Rigg, will appear in Season 3 as Marjorie's grandmother.

Then: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAMacSrJQuTQJ20Dy5KAkJc-dMhtrbxtLg77N7Ety6St89VOeq

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzTtMD1MRPDOdxrSXcbdQFDTWeWOhXW QDRqsm-lR4GLyH2ntSD

Now:https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTPztRoO77IA0MQekNScWKJJtrnhvgQ cJSp-aspbpFvesmSQYQHw

Chris
02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Damn my dick needs a time machine.

Rascal
02-12-2013, 12:07 PM
lol

Kaylore
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Damn my dick needs a time machine.

Hilarious! She was pretty hot, though.

I have this thing for Veronica Lake and Doris Day with short hair....:crazy:

kupesdad
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Hilarious! She was pretty hot, though.

I have this thing for Veronica Lake and Doris Day with short hair....:crazy:

Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly

And either one could be bald for all I care

TheReverend
02-22-2013, 11:25 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RzI9v_B4sxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
02-22-2013, 11:25 PM
About ****ing time

...but I came anyway.

Oh lawd, Daenerys Stormborn.

cutthemdown
02-22-2013, 11:29 PM
I can't wait to watch the hottie blonde ride a dragon. I hope she is half naked when she does it. Or i wish someone would get to bang her again....Something!

cutthemdown
02-22-2013, 11:31 PM
Awesome the dragons are teenagers! You really can't go wrong with dragons. This is going to be a great season. Walking Dead will end soon but then we will have Game Of Thrones. I don't watch a ton of TV just need one good show a week and I am happy.

jutang
02-23-2013, 06:40 AM
Walking dead, shameless, games of thrones, and boradwalk empire are the main shows i look forward to each year.

Mad men for some odd reason has lost my interest.

cutthemdown
02-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Walking dead, shameless, games of thrones, and boradwalk empire are the main shows i look forward to each year.

Mad men for some odd reason has lost my interest.

Try Justified. Just getting into the first season of it and I think i will be hooked.

El Guapo
02-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Justified is legit, but having read these books... well... This season of Game of Thrones will be epic. Mark my words.

Kaylore
02-23-2013, 05:34 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RzI9v_B4sxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/greenteaduck/jizz.gif

OCBronco
02-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who recommended The Name of the Wind. I read it and The Wise Man's Fear. An amazing story. Can't wait to see how Rothfuss concludes the trilogy.

RhymesayersDU
03-31-2013, 07:10 PM
GAME OF OWNS.

Archer81
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
Hour went by quick. Really cant wait for some bad things to happen to some horrible ****ing people.

:Broncos:

spdirty
03-31-2013, 07:39 PM
Damnit, it isn't recording till 9 on my dvr. Just watched the last 3 episodes of last season. Ugh, wish I'd just wait until the whole series is over then just get the DVD's so I can just watch it all in a big ass marathon. By far my favorite show.

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2013, 08:14 PM
I guess that means I have to get HBO again..... unless there was another way

Boobs McGee
03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Winning!!!!! I'm on the fence about Mance...in my mind's eye, I pictured him as being younger/more rugged. Tormund is pretty spot on as how I pictured him. This season is gonna be EPIC!

DivineLegion
03-31-2013, 10:07 PM
I feel like they covered a lot of ground in the first episode, and I'm not sure how I felt about the way they changed Baristons story.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-31-2013, 10:12 PM
I friggin love this show. Great first hour. That scene between Tyrion and tywin=epic. Fully erect

Fedaykin
03-31-2013, 10:18 PM
I feel like they covered a lot of ground in the first episode, and I'm not sure how I felt about the way they changed Baristons story.

It's more or less impossible to hide an actor from the audience. The real question is: where's Strong Belwas!

Lestat
04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
i love this show. this season will be epic. not sure it will match Sons of anarchy but it will be close.

DivineLegion
04-01-2013, 04:58 AM
It's more or less impossible to hide an actor from the audience. The real question is: where's Strong Belwas!

But doesn't that add to the intrigue when you recognize him, at least for those who haven't read the books.

v2micca
04-01-2013, 05:38 AM
Loved the first episode of season 3. Like others have said, they covered a lot of ground this first episode and set a lot of the plot lines for the season in motion.

Couple of minor quibble points. They overplayed their hand with the Unsullied slave trader. In a series such as this that aspires to be more mature and thought provoking, I feel it is a mistake to make any one character too easy to hate. Much in the same way they have made Joffrey far more of a nonredeemable sociopath than he was in the novels. (***Spoiler Text***) Its as if the show writers don't have enough faith in the audience to be satisfied when these characters receive their eventual comeuppance so they spell out in bold letters, hate this character. (***End Spoilers***)

My favorite scene of the night was easily the Royal dinner party which had to feature one of the most vicious passive aggressive family conversations I have ever seen. Sorry Joffrey, as big of a c*ckbite as you are, you are still no match for your mother in verbal sparring games.

Looking forward to next week's episode. There are still enough characters that we need to catch up with and set on their arcs for season three that I don't suspect we will start slowing down just yet.

TheReverend
04-01-2013, 05:45 AM

Agree. They dont have the time to **** arounddragging out plot lines this season.

I was wondering the same about strong belwas .they also ditched the red w foreshadowing with tywin and tyrion in that important letter he was writing.

TheReverend
04-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Loved the first episode of season 3. Like others have said, they covered a lot of ground this first episode and set a lot of the plot lines for the season in motion.

Couple of minor quibble points. They overplayed their hand with the Unsullied slave trader. In a series such as this that aspires to be more mature and thought provoking, I feel it is a mistake to make any one character too easy to hate. Much in the same way they have made Joffrey far more of a nonredeemable sociopath than he was in the novels. (***Spoiler Text***) Its as if the show writers don't have enough faith in the audience to be satisfied when these characters receive their eventual comeuppance so they spell out in bold letters, hate this character. (***End Spoilers***)

My favorite scene of the night was easily the Royal dinner party which had to feature one of the most vicious passive aggressive family conversations I have ever seen. Sorry Joffrey, as big of a c*ckbite as you are, you are still no match for your mother in verbal sparring games.

Looking forward to next week's episode. There are still enough characters that we need to catch up with and set on their arcs for season three that I don't suspect we will start slowing down just yet.

Im floored that you felt the books dont portray Joff as an even bigger pile of **** than the show does...

The books were amazing at making you hate certain people with an unbridled passion (primarily Joff and Ramsay Bolton). That slave trader was every bit like that in the books... in fact, I think that dialogue is a string of direct quotes (though its been a couple years since I read this one).

DivineLegion
04-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Im floored that you felt the books dont portray Joff as an even bigger pile of **** than the show does...

The books were amazing at making you hate certain people with an unbridled passion (primarily Joff and Ramsay Bolton). That slave trader was every bit like that in the books... in fact, I think that dialogue is a string of direct quotes (though its been a couple years since I read this one).

I reread a storm of swords before the season started last week, and I have to say there is about 30 pages of vulgar insults that the slave trader hurls at Daenerys.

Agree on Joff.

And in regards to your latter post, I guess I liked the character of Aston Whitebeard more than others. I also liked how the book portrayed the unveiling of his true identity.

v2micca
04-01-2013, 06:05 AM

The books showed Joffrey to be a liar, coward, entitled, and generally unlikable. It did however stop short of making him a sociopath that enjoys watching prostitutes beaten for his pleasure. Nor did they have him ordering the deaths of all of King Robert's bastard children (Cersie is responsible for that particular slaughter in the books)

StugotsIII
04-01-2013, 06:23 AM

The slave trader in the book verbally crucified DT way harsher than that…

I thought HBO nailed him, but failed a little when it came to the story of the unsullied. I mean, I get it…they don't have a ton of time to devote, but they are pretty badass and garnered a little more attention. JMO.

Loved seeing the giants...

DivineLegion
04-01-2013, 06:41 AM
The slave trader in the book verbally crucified DT way harsher than that…

I thought HBO nailed him, but failed a little when it came to the story of the unsullied. I mean, I get it…they don't have a ton of time to devote, but they are pretty badass and garnered a little more attention. JMO.

Loved seeing the giants...

We also missed out on the lesbianism (for those who know what I am referring to)!

v2micca
04-01-2013, 07:00 AM
We also missed out on the lesbianism (for those who know what I am referring to)!

Well, they have re-arranged some scenes in the series already. For example, I think the closing scene of this episode actually happened on the Docks of Quarth before they left. May be mistaken there has it has been a while since I read the books. My point is, there is still plenty of time for Dany to get her grove on with her bunk mate (please HBO, don't reverse your fan service policy now)

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 07:19 AM

This. I feel like the show tries harder to make him seem more sympathetic.

The Books do show characters in a different light because we can read their thoughts. That helps with things like making Tyrion more badass, Bran's experiences embodying the Direwolf, and admitedly somewhat sympathetic views of SOME of the Lannisters (I think Jamie and his father are badass), but the books make Joffrey and Cercei out to be even more deplorable, IMO.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Well, they have re-arranged some scenes in the series already. For example, I think the closing scene of this episode actually happened on the Docks of Quarth before they left. May be mistaken there has it has been a while since I read the books. My point is, there is still plenty of time for Dany to get her grove on with her bunk mate (please HBO, don't reverse your fan service policy now)

They've showed that before in the Season 1 brothel scene when Littlefinger is waxing hysterical about his grand schemes, so you'll likely get your wish.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 07:22 AM
The books showed Joffrey to be a liar, coward, entitled, and generally unlikable. It did however stop short of making him a sociopath that enjoys watching prostitutes beaten for his pleasure. Nor did they have him ordering the deaths of all of King Robert's bastard children (Cersie is responsible for that particular slaughter in the books)

You need to read the books again. There's the first part of a chapter where everyone who comes to the king with a grievance ends up having to fight to the death for his enjoyment and he ends up killing them both sometimes. The kid is a an evil little puke.

ZONA
04-01-2013, 10:39 AM
All I know is that this was quite the boring season opener. Not that I've been thrilled with much of this series anyway. To me it's way over hyped. It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland. This might was well be General Hospital or Days Of Our Lives to be honest. It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.

Fedaykin
04-01-2013, 10:57 AM

I'd dare say that tormeting your bride to be by having her stripped and beaten, making her look at her father's chopped off head, etc. are more clear indicators of sociopathy than making prostitutes do some BDSM.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 11:01 AM
I'd dare say that tormeting your bride to be by having her stripped and beaten, making her look at her father's chopped off head, etc. are more clear indicators of sociopathy than making prostitutes do some BDSM.

I liked when Sansa saw him "but didn't 'see' him" and how it pissed off Joffrey. It's hard to convey what was going there in the show. When you read it makes Sansa less weak.

underrated29
04-01-2013, 11:03 AM
All I know is that this was quite the boring season opener. Not that I've been thrilled with much of this series anyway. To me it's way over hyped. It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland. This might was well be General Hospital or Days Of Our Lives to be honest. It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.

Are you the same one who thought the nudity, language and violence was excessive and wanted to watch it with the family?

Cant please everyone i guess.

Hulamau
04-01-2013, 11:43 AM
You need to read the books again. There's the first part of a chapter where everyone who comes to the king with a grievance ends up having to fight to the death for his enjoyment and he ends up killing them both sometimes. The kid is a an evil little puke.

The weasel Joffery is so evil and beyond any idea of redemption that it will welcomed indeed to see him being drawn and quartered in slo mo ... or whatever well deserved end he has coming to him.

Houshyamama
04-01-2013, 11:56 AM
It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland.

Well, that's like, your opinion man.

It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.

It's a drama, it's about character development and plot lines. Not all dramas are soaps :rofl: Is Othello a day time soap as well?

Fedaykin
04-01-2013, 01:40 PM
I liked when Sansa saw him "but didn't 'see' him" and how it pissed off Joffrey. It's hard to convey what was going there in the show. When you read it makes Sansa less weak.

Martin has a knack for writing good female characters. Sansa, Dany and Arya have perhaps the most interesting character arcs in the entire series. Some quality male character arcs too, but not on par IMHO.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 01:54 PM
Martin has a knack for writing good female characters. Sansa, Dany and Arya have perhaps the most interesting character arcs in the entire series. Some quality male character arcs too, but not on par IMHO.

Oh come on. Tyrion steals the show! But I agree. Arya is one of my favorites. And he picks good female "villains" too.

cutthemdown
04-01-2013, 02:00 PM
Cracks me up when people who say they series isn't very good have watched all the episodes. I never watch a show twice unless I really like it. Game of Thrones is awesome and one of the best produced shows on TV.

Lestat
04-01-2013, 04:22 PM
they could torture, tear body parts off of him one by one, draw and quarter him, tar and feather him, burn him alive and it still wouldn't be enough to punish that psychotic little bastard Joff.

and that doesn't even begin to reach the depths of how bent his mother is.
that bitch is about as evil as you can be without being the devil.

Taco John
04-01-2013, 04:30 PM

I completely disagree with that. I personally think Jamie Lannister has one of the best character arcs in the entire book when you consider his past, present, and what may be his future. It's especially wild to me how Martin manages to take him from a hated character and turn him into one that the reader can be sympathetic towards.

That said, I completely agree that Martin does a great job of writing female characters.

underrated29
04-01-2013, 04:52 PM
they could torture, tear body parts off of him one by one, draw and quarter him, tar and feather him, burn him alive and it still wouldn't be enough to punish that psychotic little bastard Joff.

and that doesn't even begin to reach the depths of how bent his mother is.
that b**** is about as evil as you can be without being the devil.

I have my ex wife in my phone as queen cersei

ZONA
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM
Are you the same one who thought the nudity, language and violence was excessive and wanted to watch it with the family?

Cant please everyone i guess.

Nope, that wasn't me. I could care less about the language and nudity is always cool in my book. There's enough movies out there made for kids, it's not like they're hurting for good material. If they make some shows for adults and want to show some tits, I'm down with that.

Houshyamama
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Sansa is by far the most boring character so far to me, Arya is awesome though.

Lestat
04-01-2013, 09:25 PM
I have my ex wife in my phone as queen cersei

lol post of the damn year :rofl:

v2micca
04-02-2013, 05:47 AM
I completely disagree with that. I personally think Jamie Lannister has one of the best character arcs in the entire book when you consider his past, present, and what may be his future. It's especially wild to me how Martin manages to take him from a hated character and turn him into one that the reader can be sympathetic towards.

That said, I completely agree that Martin does a great job of writing female characters.

This. I remember reading the series and being utterly amazed by the fact that I was genuinely rooting for Jaime by the end of the third book. And its not a cheep redemption either. He really does earn every drop of sympathy from the reader throughout his arc. Considering the fact that our introduction to him is throwing a child out a window after being caught banging his sister.....well, that is just an impressive turn around.

I know some have complained about Sansa being boring, and in the beginning she kind of is. However, he story line starts to finally gain some steam around the 3rd book. Her problem is that for the first part of the series, she really isn't a very proactive character. She is a character that things happen to, and that does become tedious after a while. She will eventually take more initiative and thus be more interesting. For now, her scenes are just a long setup.

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Jaime would be the classic hero if it wasn't for his relationship with Cercei. Think about it. He's a dashing warrior that helped win the throne and bring peace to the land. Then a the man who took the throne was a drunk who cheated on Jaime's sister and bankrupted the country. If the incident with Bran hadn't happened, he would be a hero in the story.

I also like how his dynamic changes when he learns about honor, justice and suffers his "injury" and has to reinvent himself. He's a very interesting character. Tyrion is still my favorite, though.

TheReverend
04-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Jaime would be the classic hero if it wasn't for his relationship with Cercei. Think about it. He's a dashing warrior that helped win the throne and bring peace to the land. Then a the man who took the throne was a drunk who cheated on Jaime's sister and bankrupted the country. If the incident with Bran hadn't happened, he would be a hero in the story.

I also like how his dynamic changes when he learns about honor, justice and suffers his "injury" and has to reinvent himself. He's a very interesting character. Tyrion is still my favorite, though.

Incorrect, Red Viper > all. Not even debatable :)

Old Dude
04-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Jack Gleeson is doing such a great job that he's going to get typecast for the rest of his life.

If some crazed fan doesn't take matters into their own hands. I hope this kid has a good set of bodyguards.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Jack Gleeson is doing such a great job that he's going to get typecast for the rest of his life.

If some crazed fan doesn't take matters into their own hands. I hope this kid has a good set of bodyguards.

Gleeson is done with acting after Game of Thrones. He has no interest in it as a profession once he graduates school. He's apparently insanely smart and goes to a top college.

Shame IMO, he's a gifted actor.

TheReverend
04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Gleeson is done with acting after Game of Thrones. He has no interest in it as a profession once he graduates school. He's apparently insanely smart and goes to a top college.

Shame IMO, he's a gifted actor.

He'll change his mind when the river of pussy dries up.

Broncomutt
04-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Sansa is by far the most boring character so far to me, Arya is awesome though.

Completely agree. When I'd turn a page and see SANSA, I'd groan. I particuraly liked Arya, Brienne, Cersei (of course I hate her) and Cat. Hope we hear more about Uncat.

Arya's story arc was great, but is fading on me a little. How much time has passed between AGOT and ADWD? I tend to think 1-2 years, so I imagine her as a small 12-13 year old girl, which is making the assassin angle a little weird to envision.

Anybody know the one word Brienne shouts at the close of AFFC? Or is it supposed to be open to speculation?

LRtagger
04-02-2013, 08:04 AM

I would probably want to punch him in the face if I saw him in person

Boobs McGee
04-02-2013, 08:11 AM
I would probably want to punch him in the face if I saw him in person

http://pedestriantv-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images%2Farticle%2F2013%2F03%2F28%2FJack-Gleeson.jpg

Just a little fuel for the fire ;D

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 08:15 AM
He'll change his mind when the river of p***Y dries up.

Are we still talking about the Red Viper in this post? ;D

Boobs McGee
04-02-2013, 08:21 AM
Are we still talking about the Red Viper in this post? ;D

Trying to remember...is the Red Viper the badass from Dorne that mortally wounded the Mountain in that epic battle? And I haven't read the books in a while, so can't remember which one it was from, but i THOUGHT it was right around the same time as Joffrey getting murdered...so is there a possibility all of that happens this season?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Correct Boobs. He's also the guy that likes to take it up the pooper while he's banging various chicks.

I think all of those events should occur this season.

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 08:39 AM
Trying to remember...is the Red Viper the badass from Dorne that mortally wounded the Mountain in that epic battle? And I haven't read the books in a while, so can't remember which one it was from, but i THOUGHT it was right around the same time as Joffrey getting murdered...so is there a possibility all of that happens this season?

Yes. He also likes to dip his pen in any inkwell that is available.

DenverBroncosJM
04-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I liked Sansa in the book more than I do on the show. I can't stand her on the show maybe it's the actress I don't know.

spdirty
04-02-2013, 09:41 AM
I liked Sansa in the book more than I do on the show. I can't stand her on the show maybe it's the actress I don't know.

The only thing interesting about her is when she makes her little "I'm a princess and I'm better than you" snooty-snoot comments to her little staff underlings. Those little jabs make me laugh. Other than that, yeah, she's boring as hell.

She reminds me of my cousin. In fact, if you were to take my cousin out of the trailerpark, and throw a pile of money at her, she'd be a fat Sansa.

2KBack
04-02-2013, 09:54 AM

Claiming a favorite character is risky in this series.

*WARHORSE*
04-02-2013, 10:18 AM
Great series. Hope Martin doesnt kick it any time soon because Id like to read quite a few more of these books.

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Claiming a favorite character is risky in this series.

They're all dead meat. Martin immunized me to caring too deeply about any of his characters because he kills them all.

underrated29
04-02-2013, 10:47 AM
They're all dead meat. Martin immunized me to caring too deeply about any of his characters because he kills them all.

It is known.

JLesSPE
04-02-2013, 10:59 AM
My favorite character got shanked at the end of book 5. Stupid cliff hangers...

Taco John
04-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Anybody know the one word Brienne shouts at the close of AFFC? Or is it supposed to be open to speculation?

I believe it's "SWORD!"

TheReverend
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
I believe it's "SWORD!"

...What?

I'm assuming it's 'sansa' since brienne knows she's alive.

TheReverend
04-02-2013, 04:21 PM
My favorite character got shanked at the end of book 5. Stupid cliff hangers...

I wouldn't be too concerned about that

StugotsIII
04-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about that

You think that character pulled a six skins?

Pontius Pirate
04-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I was able to go to the GoT premiere recently in SF. Sat right in front of the producers and the cast. GRRM and the producers did a roundtable discussion afterwards. It was dope

Drunk Monkey
04-02-2013, 05:42 PM

I hope so, Martin still surprised me with that one.........Bastard

TheReverend
04-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Either that or Mel will Thoros/Dondarrion him

Fedaykin
04-02-2013, 06:38 PM
Tried out Vikings based on what some people here an in TWD thread said. It's pretty good. Best part is Lagertha. Smokin' hot and kicks ass.

elsid13
04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Tried out Vikings based on what some people here an in TWD thread said. It's pretty good. Best part is Lagertha. Smokin' hot and kicks ass.

It is my go to show right now.

Taco John
04-02-2013, 06:57 PM

This is what I thought would originally happen - but then why would Martin include the Sixskins chapter at all (except as foreshadowing)?

myMind
04-02-2013, 07:29 PM
This is what I thought would originally happen - but then why would Martin include the Sixskins chapter at all (except as foreshadowing)?

Jon is too important a character to spend the rest of the series as a direwolf. That would be silly.

Old Dude
04-02-2013, 08:29 PM
After season 3 premier scored series high ratings, GoT officially renewed by HBO today for season 4.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/02/game-of-thrones-renewed-4-season/

Taco John
04-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Jon is too important a character to spend the rest of the series as a direwolf. That would be silly.

You might have forgotten that Sixskins warged into a human, not an animal.

Old Dude
04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
As time goes on, it's going to get harder to make predictions about the TV series on the basis of what happened in the books.

Martin and the producers have already said that time and budget constraints have dictated some changes and Martin noted that even small changes in sequence or minor characters early in the story have a butterfly effect for events later on.

Recently, Sophia Turner (Sansa Stark) told an interviewer that readers of the book will be "super-shocked" concerning one or more developments in Season 3.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/04/game-thrones-season-3-preview/

Of course, her definition of "super-shocked" might be different than ours, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see entire plot lines eliminated by killing off one or more secondary characters who they just don't have time to deal with.

Kaylore
04-03-2013, 08:15 AM
How do the spoiler tags work?

Old Dude
04-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Spoiler: (go advanced and then select white as the font color for whatever you want to hide.)

Edit: On the other hand, if the question is what we should be allowed to "spoil" I'd try to avoid discussing in the open anything that hasn't happened yet in the series.

Kaylore
04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Spoiler: (go advanced and then select white as the font color for whatever you want to hide.)

Edit: On the other hand, if the question is what we should be allowed to "spoil" I'd try to avoid discussing in the open anything that hasn't happened yet in the series.

Oh. I thought it was a feature in posting UI. lol nevermind!

JLesSPE
04-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Spoiler: (I wonder if Sansa will kill Joff instead of introducing Margery's grandmother. ) I really can't wait for this season to play out.

Old Dude
04-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Spoiler: (I wonder if Sansa will kill Joff instead of introducing Margery's grandmother. ) I really can't wait for this season to play out.

Spoiler: (Diana Rigg has already been cast as the grandmother and the preview for episode 2 of season 3 shows her interrogating Sansa about what kind of person Joffrey is. Of course, anything could still happen from there.)

JLesSPE
04-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Spoiler: (Diana Rigg has already been cast as the grandmother and the preview for episode 2 of season 3 shows her interrogating Sansa about what kind of person Joffrey is. Of course, anything could still happen from there.)

Spoiler: (Nice! I can't wait to see that little prick clawing at his throat with his mother trying to save him. That will be such a powerful scene.)

Taco John
04-03-2013, 09:51 AM
There are spoiler tags. Simply open and close them around the spoiler.

[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]

myMind
04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
You might have forgotten that Sixskins warged into a human, not an animal.

Oh yeaaahh. I was confusing Six skins with the warg wildling Jon killed and was trapped in the eagle. What was his name, Oren...or something. I forget who sixskins warged into, remind me?

Johnykbr
04-04-2013, 06:55 AM

Everything I've read has made it pretty clear that won't happen until season 4. Even then, my guess is on Littlefinger since they seem to make him all-powerful and in on everything on the show.

Johnykbr
04-04-2013, 07:01 AM

My guess is that he wargs into Ghost or whatever while Mel does her thing. That way he isn't all jacked up mentally like Baric or Catelyn when he wargs back

SleepingTiger
04-04-2013, 08:04 AM
anybody got a good stream for season 3. i just watched seasons 1 and 2 last couple of days. i got myself hooked!

MagicHef
04-04-2013, 08:11 AM
anybody got a good stream for season 3. i just watched seasons 1 and 2 last couple of days. i got myself hooked!

PMd

spdirty
04-04-2013, 08:40 AM
Just a quick question. Since the north of the wall people burn all the dead, does that mean that the dead turn into zombies and the whitewalkers are really just badass zombies?

Taco John
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Everything I've read has made it pretty clear that won't happen until season 4. Even then, my guess is on Littlefinger since they seem to make him all-powerful and in on everything on the show.

In fairness, LF is very powerful in the books too. In my opinion, there is an implied connection between him and the Iron Bank.

MagicHef
04-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Just a quick question. Since the north of the wall people burn all the dead, does that mean that the dead turn into zombies and the whitewalkers are really just badass zombies?

The White Walkers are "Others". I think they are just different from living things, I don't believe they were ever alive at a previous time.

Taco John
04-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Not exactly.

The Wights are the Zombies. The White Walkers are a separate race of intelligent creatures who animate the wights as their army. The white walkers are not zombies - they create them.

Requiem
04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
I had a friend drop by my place the other night and gave me the first season on BluRay. Watched the first two episodes and really wasn't that interested. Kind of seems slow. Hopefully it gets better.

Taco John
04-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I had a friend drop by my place the other night and gave me the first season on BluRay. Watched the first two episodes and really wasn't that interested. Kind of seems slow. Hopefully it gets better.

The first two episodes of virtually any show worth watching is slow because it's establishing a foundation for the story to be told on.

2KBack
04-04-2013, 10:56 AM
Not exactly.

The Wights are the Zombies. The White Walkers are a separate race of intelligent creatures who animate the wights as their army. The white walkers are not zombies - they create them.

What do you think coldhands is?

Old Dude
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Not exactly.

That's basically how I understand it, too, but it's kind of intentionally mushy.

Here's what I understand:

Roughly 12,000 years ago, an ethnic group of humans (now referred to as "The First Men") invaded Westeros across a land bridge from the east. They found that the land was already occupied by a race of being called the "Children of the Forest." These beings were smaller, less numerous and less technologically advanced than the invading humans, but they had access to "nature magic."

After generations of warfare, the First Men gradually pushed back the Children of the Forest and establish dozens, if not hundreds, of small kingdoms.

About 10,000 years ago, a truce was reached, whereby the Children were given dominion over the major forests, while the Men occupied the open lands. Except for a group who adopted "The Drowned God" (in the Iron Islands), the First Men adopt the worship of the Old Gods of the Forest.

About 8,000 years ago, the "Long Night" descended and presumably lasted for nearly an entire generation. A long and savage winter moved south, and with it came "The Others." The "Others" were able to kill people and then raise them up as undead servants (zombies or "wights.") They were eventually driven back by the First Men, led by a legendary hero called "Azor Ahai."

Subsequently, with the aid of magic, giants, and (possibly) the remaining Children of the Forest, they constructed the great ice wall to keep the "Others" out. The Night Watch was formed to guard it.

At this time, there were still some people living north of the wall (calling themselves "The Free Folk" but known to southerners as the "Wildlings.")

Not long after, one of the Commanders of the Night Watch, supposedly seduced by one of the undead, declared himself the Night King, and used the Watch as his personal army and committed all kinds of atrocities. He was defeated by an alliance between the Starks of Winterfell and Joramun, a Wildling leader, also known as "The King Beyond the Wall." Afterwards, the Night Watch was restored.

Thousands of years go by and all of this falls into myth and legend. Over time, the Wall becomes mostly a barrier to prevent Wildlings from raiding the southern side.

In the legends of southern Westeros, the undead are referred to as "The Others." Close to the Wall and North of the Wall, those same beings are often referred to as "The White Walkers." One gets the idea that the legends don't necessarily distinguish between the intelligent masters (who may or may not be undead spirits) and the more or less mindless wights (who they have apparently raised from the dead to serve as minions.) Likewise, various characters in the book don't necessarily distinguish between them at the outset since they don't really know what they are dealing with.

Additional things that still aren't clear. It's not clear what kind of ritual is needed or what it's range might be in order to raise people as zombies. Or whether it's more or less automatic. (It certainly isn't automatic south of the Wall - at least not at this point.) It's also unclear whether the intelligent "Others" have their own bodies or are somehow possessing the bodies of the living. The whole thing is still uncatalogued (and probably scarier as a result of that).

Kaylore
04-04-2013, 12:07 PM
The first two episodes of virtually any show worth watching is slow because it's establishing a foundation for the story to be told on.

I thought the first fifteen minutes of Season 1 Episode 1 were extremely provacative. They do a great job of creating a really authentic feel.

Shoot, the theme song by itself is freaking awesome.

Old Dude
04-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Purely Speculative Spoiler: ( Benjen Stark: 80%; The Night King 12%; Some other figure from history: 6%; Someone we've never heard of: 2%. )

2KBack
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Purely Speculative Spoiler: ( Benjen Stark: 80%; The Night King 12%; Some other figure from history: 6%; Someone we've never heard of: 2%. )

That is spot on with my theory as well

TheReverend
04-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Not the first. He's explained to be extremely ancient

StugotsIII
04-04-2013, 04:50 PM
What the HELL happened to Benjin?

Drunk Monkey
04-05-2013, 05:39 AM
PMd

What is PMd?

DivineLegion
04-05-2013, 05:42 AM
Additional things that still aren't clear. It's not clear what kind of ritual is needed or what it's range might be in order to raise people as zombies. Or whether it's more or less automatic. (It certainly isn't automatic south of the Wall - at least not at this point.) It's also unclear whether the intelligent "Others" have their own bodies or are somehow possessing the bodies of the living. The whole thing is still uncatalogued (and probably scarier as a result of that).

When they created the wall, they instilled some sort of magic into its core. It acts as a giant stop gap on not just flesh, but spells. Remember when Snow went back over the wall, and he couldn't sense Ghost anymore? That was because of the wall blocking his warg senses.

Kaylore
04-05-2013, 06:23 AM
What is PMd?

PM'd or private messaged ie "sent you a private message with the details."

Old Dude
04-05-2013, 07:00 AM
Not the first. He's explained to be extremely ancient

I don't think that's categorically chiseled in stone. The phrase "a long time ago" doesn't necessarily mean "extremely ancient." Given the identity of who said that and how we assume they would subjectively perceive the passage of time, I can see why you'd assume that, and it's a very strong point, but we also have to remember who is on the receiving end of this message, and the speaker may have been taking that into account. We also need to know more about the motivation of the speaker because some people are in cohoots with others and, at this point, it's not entirely clear why.

Remember that Martin often uses the device of unreliable narrators.

In short, I think Martin has left that door wide open by being just about as vague as possible.

When you get past that, you're left with bits and pieces of circumstantial evidence, pointing in various directions and floating around in a puddle of the still-unexplained.

Also, since we're dealing with a magical being in a world increasingly full of magical stuff, including possession and transmigration, the truth could actually be a some combination of the various theories.

Drunk Monkey
04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
PM'd or private messaged ie "sent you a private message with the details."

Thanks, I thought he was taking about a new torrent option or something that I didn't know about.

Boobs McGee
04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
Here's a little collection of GoT's themed NFL wallpapers.

Original Link to the Reddit Thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/15x7mr/game_of_thrones_wallpaper_minnesota_vikings_and/

Link to the Imgur collection: http://whatshotdjroomba.imgur.com/

StugotsIII
04-06-2013, 08:09 AM

Motha-f**k'n

BUMP

Old Dude
04-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Motha-****'n

BUMP

Spoiler: (Up through the fifth novel, we still don't know. He may just be permanently MIA. Some people speculate that he was killed, transformed into a wight, but somehow retained his mind or personality and appears in later books as a character called "Coldhands." But that is a big ongoing mystery and far from clear or settled.)

Old Dude
04-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Additional Spoilers on White Walkers, Wights and "The Others": (1. In the TV Series, "The Others" are more frequently referred to as "White Walkers" than in the books. One reason for this was supposedly to avoid confusion with "The Others" as used in the "Lost" TV series. 2. The "wights" are pretty much as we've seen them portrayed in the TV series, i.e. undead. They aren't completely mindless (as in the Walking Dead") since they do retain some skills such as weaponry and -undead- horse riding, and a couple of them early on in the books showed at least a little familiarity with the Night Watch layout and pecking order. But they do appear to have very little free will. They are marked by the stench of decay, eerie blue eyes and dark hands where the frozen blood has congealed. 3. Recently, in an email to a comic book artist, who was trying to figure out how to portray "The Others," i.e. the leaders, Martin stated: "The Others are not dead. They are strange, beautiful ... think, oh ... the Sidhe [the fey of Celtic myth] made of ice, something like that ... a different sort of life ... inhuman, elegant, dangerous." (emphasis added) 4. However, in the TV series, "The Others" in the one quick shot we've seen, appear to be shadowed and "brutish" looking..)

Hope that helps.

Old Dude
04-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Episode 2, Season 3.

Lots of plotlines advancing slowly.

cutthemdown
04-08-2013, 05:26 AM

He's most likely dead. Not sure we will ever know for sure what happened to him. This story seems like the kind that won't spell everything out. The two rangers he was with were dead and its been a long time since that happened. Hard to believe he would be alive out there or that the others would bother having prisoners.

I guess he could be hiding somewhere but you would think he would have turned up by now.

Kaylore
04-08-2013, 06:29 AM
I have hopes he met with some children of the forest and they worked some voodoo on him.

StugotsIII
04-08-2013, 07:29 AM
What did we think of S3 E2?

I thought it was a bit slow, and with so much to fit into S3 I'm not sure why HBO continues to replace GRRM writing with their own, made up scenes and dialog.

I mean, it's still okay, but E2 was certainly lacking.

DivineLegion
04-08-2013, 08:25 AM

I thought it was a bit slow, and with so much to fit into S3 I'm not sure why HBO continues to replace GRRM writing with their own, made up scenes and dialog.

I read an interview with the writers where they talked about the inclusion of Theons story in season 3. They needed to fill time in season 3 to spread the story out over 2 seasons, and they have a strange fascination with Theons character. Apparently the actor who portrays Theon blew them away with his characterization, and they felt like he needed to remain relivent. I feel like they could have focused more on Nights Watch, and their epic retreat. They cut a lot of the detail, including the battle of the fist, and they could have drawn these elements in if they would have planned it better. Apparently they are also worried about letting GOT take on the montra of a full fledged fantasy drama, this they don't emphasize the fantasy elements, and are more inclined to I corperate more personal dilemma. I think this is why it took them so long to incorporate the Reeds.

Chris
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I read an interview with the writers where they talked about the inclusion of Theons story in season 3. They needed to fill time in season 3 to spread the story out over 2 seasons, and they have a strange fascination with Theons character. Apparently the actor who portrays Theon blew them away with his characterization, and they felt like he needed to remain relivent. I feel like they could have focused more on Nights Watch, and their epic retreat. They cut a lot of the detail, including the battle of the fist, and they could have drawn these elements in if they would have planned it better. Apparently they are also worried about letting GOT take on the montra of a full fledged fantasy drama, this they don't emphasize the fantasy elements, and are more inclined to I corperate more personal dilemma. I think this is why it took them so long to incorporate the Reeds.

Interesting take. I'll agree that the actor playing Theon does a great job in pulling off a massively fallible yet ultimately fascinating character. For me he's just a little bit below Dinklage in that regard. I haven't read the books but I'm also looking forward to seeing what happens to Aria and the shapeshifting Morghullis (?) character.

spdirty
04-08-2013, 09:13 AM

I'm so far gone as far as being a fanboy of this show that I don't even want to be critical of the crappy episodes.

Taco John
04-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I think people are being too critical of these first two episodes. There is a lot that needs to be set up over the next two seasons, and these first few episodes are not meant to be action packed, but character driven. I think they're doing an excellent job of that right now.

Taco John
04-08-2013, 11:28 AM

My theory is that Coldhands is Brynden Rivers (aka. Bloodraven) who has wharged into one of the others (or a wight). My feelings are that too many people underestimate Brynden Rivers as a major player in unfolding events. I think people assume that he's just sitting in a cave watching things, and not taking active participation. I can't believe this to be the case given the amount of development that GRRM has done of this character's history. I think/hope we will see much more of his influence in the next two books.

Taco John
04-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Also, my theory on Bran is that in the end, he will ultimately be Azor Ahai

TheReverend
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Also, my theory on Bran is that in the end, he will ultimately be Azor Ahai

lol

Requiem
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Just finished the first season last night. Mind blown. Sad they got rid of Ned / Eddard. :(

Drunk Monkey
04-08-2013, 12:04 PM
Just finished the first season last night. Mind blown. Sad they got rid of Ned / Eddard. :(

Get use to it. Dude loves killing his characters. Just like a kid on the beach building up sandcastles just to go all Godzilla on them.

peacepipe
04-08-2013, 12:07 PM

That's just the tip of the iceberg.

StugotsIII
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Get use to it. Dude loves killing his characters. Just like a kid on the beach building up sandcastles just to go all Godzilla on them.

…except he keeps killing off Godzilla...

Old Dude
04-08-2013, 01:15 PM
I think Episode 2 was just the second part of the setup for season 3. (with so many plotlines.) The action should start picking up as we go along.

As for my personal predictions (and having finished all 5 books): SPOILERS: (I think the surviving Stark kids are all headed down dark paths. Arya is becoming a ninja contract killer; Sansa is learning all about political manipulation and backstabbing from the best of them; Rikon is already a psycho werewolf; and Bran concerns me the most. He's already doing the one thing with his warging talents that even barbarian werewolves consider an "abomination," and shows hardly any empathy for poor Hodor. Not to mention that fact that Jujuen looks like he's become Soylent Green. Funny thing is that on the other side we have Tommen, who is about the single most innocent youngster in the whole series. He just wants to play with his kittens. Dead boy walking, I'm sure of it.

I don't think Bryndon Rivers is Coldhands, because BR is clearly the 3-eyed crow, and he wouldn't have any need to give himself orders via the ravens. Unless that was a ruse, of course, which I guess is always possible.)

Taco John
04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
I think Episode 2 was just the second part of the setup for season 3. (with so many plotlines.) The action should start picking up as we go along.

As for my personal predictions (and having finished all 5 books): SPOILERS: (I think the surviving Stark kids are all headed down dark paths. Arya is becoming a ninja contract killer; Sansa is learning all about political manipulation and backstabbing from the best of them; Rikon is already a psycho werewolf; and Bran concerns me the most. He's already doing the one thing with his warging talents that even barbarian werewolves consider an "abomination," and shows hardly any empathy for poor Hodor. Not to mention that fact that Jujuen looks like he's become Soylent Green. Funny thing is that on the other side we have Tommen, who is about the single most innocent youngster in the whole series. He just wants to play with his kittens. Dead boy walking, I'm sure of it.

I don't think Bryndon Rivers is Coldhands, because BR is clearly the 3-eyed crow, and he wouldn't have any need to give himself orders via the ravens. Unless that was a ruse, of course, which I guess is always possible.)

well, yes Brynden Rivers is the three eyed crow, but isn't the three eyed crow just one of many "gloves" that he can put on? Varamyr Sixskins warged into dozens of different animals, including humans. Why wouldn't Rivers ahve a dozen different forms that he'd take on?

El Guapo
04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Season 3 will be epic, just hope the action picks up soon before too many bail. :(

Old Dude
04-08-2013, 03:29 PM
well, yes Brynden Rivers is the three eyed crow, but isn't the three eyed crow just one of many "gloves" that he can put on? Varamyr Sixskins warged into dozens of different animals, including humans. Why wouldn't Rivers ahve a dozen different forms that he'd take on?

Hmmn. The more I think about your theory, the better I like it. This one, anyway. Spoiler: (Not so much Bran's destiny as AA.)

Taco John
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Hmmn. The more I think about your theory, the better I like it. This one, anyway. Spoiler: (Not so much Bran's destiny as AA.)

The Bran one is definitely out there. It's really just an idea. I'm trying to guess where he is going with that particular story line, and I think that it's going to be something significant and widely unexpected.

Taco John
04-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Old Nan on the Night King:

Chapter 56, ASOS

“Some say he was a Bolton,” Old Nan would always end. “Some say a Magnar out of Skagos, some say Umber, Flint, or Norrey. Some would have you think he was a Woodfoot, from them who ruled Bear island before the ironmen came. He never was. He was a Stark, the brother of the man who brought him down.” She always pinched Bran on the nose then, he would never forget it. “He was a Stark of Winterfell, and who can say? Mayhaps his name was Brandon. Mayhaps he slept in this very bed in this very room.”

Bran Meets Cold Hands:
First Bran Chapter ADWD:
Meera’s gloved hand tightened around the shaft of her frog spear. “Who sent you? Who is this three-eyed crow?”
"A friend. Dreamer, wizard, call him what you will. The last green-seer.” The longhall’s wooden door banged open. Outside, the night wind howled, bleak and black. The trees were full of ravens, screaming. Cold-hands did not move.
“A monster,” Bran said.
The ranger looked at Bran as if the rest of them did not exist. “Your monster, Brandon Stark.”
“Yours,” the raven echoed, from his shoulder. Outside the door, the ravens in the trees took up the cry, until the night wood echoed to the murderer’s song of “Yours, yours, yours.”

DivineLegion
04-08-2013, 07:08 PM
The Bran one is definitely out there. It's really just an idea. I'm trying to guess where he is going with that particular story line, and I think that it's going to be something significant and widely unexpected.

From what has been leaked about the 6th book, a majority of the story takes place deeper beyond the wall, beyond the frost fangs. Chances are you will find out the truth regarding your revelation pretty quickly. This next book was originally set to be the last, but GRRM decided he wanted a seventh book to tidy up the conclusion. So we will find out in...2015 :(

spdirty
04-08-2013, 08:04 PM
From what has been leaked about the 6th book, a majority of the story takes place deeper beyond the wall, beyond the frost fangs. Chances are you will find out the truth regarding your revelation pretty quickly. This next book was originally set to be the last, but GRRM decided he wanted a seventh book to tidy up the conclusion. So we will find out in...2015 :(

So we can expect 8 seasons of this on HBO right?

StugotsIII
04-08-2013, 08:21 PM
So we can expect 8 seasons of this on HBO right?

At least...

cutthemdown
04-08-2013, 08:26 PM

the pace of the show is a little slower then people expect but it doesn't lack pulling you in. What you see as slow i see as just wanting more when the hour ends. You never feel like you found out enough about the story because it unfolds slowly. But while a watch the scenes they dont drag to me. The dialouge is good, the characters believable, and i don't get a sense they are spending too much time on anything.

When i do find myself thinking that i watch even closer figuring that it most be something important, and i just havent put it all together yet. The show has a lot of symbolism and inferences that don't just spell everything out right away. Thats what makes it soo good.

StugotsIII
04-08-2013, 08:37 PM
the pace of the show is a little slower then people expect but it doesn't lack pulling you in. What you see as slow i see as just wanting more when the hour ends. You never feel like you found out enough about the story because it unfolds slowly. But while a watch the scenes they dont drag to me. The dialouge is good, the characters believable, and i don't get a sense they are spending too much time on anything.

When i do find myself thinking that i watch even closer figuring that it most be something important, and i just havent put it all together yet. The show has a lot of symbolism and inferences that don't just spell everything out right away. Thats what makes it soo good.

The dialog is good…but it's better when GRRM writes it…not HBO.

There is a lot to explain and get to already. HBO doesn't need to add their own subject matter to a book (book 3) that is already jammed with information…and damn good writing.

Episode two was slow, and yes…I get that they are setting things up…but after 2 episodes, we really don't know a whole lot more than we did before...

McDman
04-08-2013, 09:04 PM
The biggest problem with this show is there are so many characters we only get about 5 minutes of each character.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-08-2013, 09:19 PM
Don't see any problems with this show. At all.

Song of Ice and Fire, and Sword of Truth, are my favorite book series of all time. The Sword of Truth cable show was an abomination, so compared to that, Game of Thrones is flawless. I'm still in shock this series was actually made for HBO. Now, we just need an MMORPG based on the world and my dorkdom euphoria will be complete.

cutthemdown
04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
The dialog is good…but it's better when GRRM writes it…not HBO.

There is a lot to explain and get to already. HBO doesn't need to add their own subject matter to a book (book 3) that is already jammed with information…and damn good writing.

Episode two was slow, and yes…I get that they are setting things up…but after 2 episodes, we really don't know a whole lot more than we did before...

You know where the Hound is. You know lady Margorie (new queen to be) is smart and has a plan. You found out what the half mans dad really thinks of him and you found out Snow has been accepted into the army beyond the wall. You know Theon isn't dead and is being tortured by someone. You know the captian of Stannis fleet is alive, and that Stannis is crazy and totally enveloped by the witch.

Seems like a lot has been revealed IMO. its just they reveal stuff but each time if unravels more you don't know.

Fedaykin
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Something reeks about E2, which is surprising at this point.

Taco John
04-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Something reeks about E2, which is surprising at this point.

Not sure if punning...

Fedaykin
04-09-2013, 03:05 AM
Not sure if punning...

Heh, yes punning =)

Bronco Yoda
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Only 30 g's.
http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=373634&ecid=PID-5580&pa=SEM-GPA&CAWELAID=1383728783&cagpspn=pla

Love the tv show. Still contemplating reading the book series or waiting until the show is finished first.

Taco John
04-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Only 30 g's.
http://store.hbo.com/detail.php?p=373634&ecid=PID-5580&pa=SEM-GPA&CAWELAID=1383728783&cagpspn=pla

Love the tv show. Still contemplating reading the book series or waiting until the show is finished first.

I would definitely read the books. The show series likely won't be finished until 2020. That's a long wait for no good reason, really. The books are where it's at.

underrated29
04-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Its been a while since I read the books and I read them in succession one right after another, no breaks....

Thought reek was in book 4 or 5. I know I read somewhere that they liked his character so much and brought him in to 3, but what do they plan on doing then for the latter part of season 4 (which is the other half of book three)

StugotsIII
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
You know where the Hound is. You know lady Margorie (new queen to be) is smart and has a plan. You found out what the half mans dad really thinks of him and you found out Snow has been accepted into the army beyond the wall. You know Theon isn't dead and is being tortured by someone. You know the captian of Stannis fleet is alive, and that Stannis is crazy and totally enveloped by the witch.

Seems like a lot has been revealed IMO. its just they reveal stuff but each time if unravels more you don't know.

We already knew that:

Margorie is smart and cunning.
Tywin doesn't like Tyrian.
Snow was accepted (sort of) by the wildlings

The Theon bit comes WAY later in the story…HBO crowbarred that one in there. And Stannis is not crazy…he is the most serious human alive and wants nothing more than to rule the realm.

I'm fine with a slow start…hell, most of GRRM's writing is slow a plodding. But I'd rather have it be HIS writing than HBO's.

Not really sure why they feel the need to replace his work…and flat out make stuff up. Guess that is the nature of TV/Movies.

s0phr0syne
04-09-2013, 03:15 PM
With the disclosure that I haven't read the books....

I don't get why people who read the books are in anyway upset with changes made for the adaptation to the screen? The print story is there forever, and will remain unchanged. It represents what GRRM wanted to convey and what he thought was important. TV show storylines are handled by showrunners and teams of writers, typically. They draw out the themes that resonate most significantly with them, and then construct the show to convey these ideas to the audience.

Having been a long time reader of comic books, one of the things that I always have enjoyed is being able to enjoy what different writers' takes were for the same characters.

For me, this is an equal joy that I find when enjoying adapted movies, TV shows, games, etc. Others in this thread have commented sometimes about how they didn't know what to expect in the show because certain plot lines diverged so much from the books--to me, that seems so wonderful because otherwise how the hell would you be entertained if you had already read the books? If you already knew exactly what was coming?

I doubt my post will really end up impacting the people who get dismayed when changes are made in adaptations--this has been a source of consternation for a long time for a reason, and there's nothing I can probably add that is going to Keanu-Woah your mind, but maybe you'll type up something that makes me understand the other side of the coin a little bit better.

StugotsIII
04-09-2013, 03:57 PM
With the disclosure that I haven't read the books....

I don't get why people who read the books are in anyway upset with changes made for the adaptation to the screen? The print story is there forever, and will remain unchanged. It represents what GRRM wanted to convey and what he thought was important. TV show storylines are handled by showrunners and teams of writers, typically. They draw out the themes that resonate most significantly with them, and then construct the show to convey these ideas to the audience.

Having been a long time reader of comic books, one of the things that I always have enjoyed is being able to enjoy what different writers' takes were for the same characters.

For me, this is an equal joy that I find when enjoying adapted movies, TV shows, games, etc. Others in this thread have commented sometimes about how they didn't know what to expect in the show because certain plot lines diverged so much from the books--to me, that seems so wonderful because otherwise how the hell would you be entertained if you had already read the books? If you already knew exactly what was coming?

I doubt my post will really end up impacting the people who get dismayed when changes are made in adaptations--this has been a source of consternation for a long time for a reason, and there's nothing I can probably add that is going to Keanu-Woah your mind, but maybe you'll type up something that makes me understand the other side of the coin a little bit better.

Why change?

TheReverend
04-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Why change?

Time, medium and financial constraints.

These guys aren't changing things because they feel it makes a better story, they change them because they have to along WITH Martin.

StugotsIII
04-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Time, medium and financial constraints.

These guys aren't changing things because they feel it makes a better story, they change them because they have to along WITH Martin.

Martin must have gotten quite the payday to go along with the changes to his story.

I won't believe that he is okay with some of the things HBO is doing.

But all in all it's still one of the best shows on TV.

Boobs McGee
04-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Martin must have gotten quite the payday to go along with the changes to his story.

I won't believe that he is okay with some of the things HBO is doing.

But all in all it's still one of the best shows on TV.

Well, this interview is from 2011, but he seemed pretty happy about the changes, and understands how the process works. He knows that all of his fans aren't going to feel like it's perfect, but it sounds like he's perfectly fine with it

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/game-of-thrones-hbo-george-r-r-martin/

After a little more research, found this more recent interview. From everything he talks about, it's very clear that he feels although there are changes, he understands the NEED for those changes in this particular medium, and is okay with it.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/game-of-thrones-mastermind-george-r-r-martin-talks-blackwater-tv-changes-and-playing-favorites

StugotsIII
04-09-2013, 04:46 PM
Well, this interview is from 2011, but he seemed pretty happy about the changes, and understands how the process works. He knows that all of his fans aren't going to feel like it's perfect, but it sounds like he's perfectly fine with it

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/04/game-of-thrones-hbo-george-r-r-martin/

After a little more research, found this more recent interview. From everything he talks about, it's very clear that he feels although there are changes, he understands the NEED for those changes in this particular medium, and is okay with it.

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/game-of-thrones-mastermind-george-r-r-martin-talks-blackwater-tv-changes-and-playing-favorites

http://media-cache-ec5.pinterest.com/550x/51/1b/b3/511bb32abd46436379691707589f930d.jpg

Lestat
04-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Why change?

because in any visual expression of artist merit there are changes that take place.
some have little tweaks, others full on new stories.
taking a book series and turning it into a movie or a show is similar to adapting a comic book to one of those formats.
you can just do everything from the source material. there have to be changes that flow with the director and the writers vision of the production.

kappys
04-09-2013, 09:23 PM
So how does one go about reading the "Spoilers" and posting such "Spoilers"? I've avoided this thread for now because I've only recently read the books

Taco John
04-09-2013, 10:44 PM
So how does one go about reading the "Spoilers" and posting such "Spoilers"? I've avoided this thread for now because I've only recently read the books

there are spoiler tags that work like any tag, such as quote tags.

[ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ]

to read the spoilers you simply drag select with your mouse in between the spoilers, like this:

In Book 6 Drogo hatches out of Drogon the dragon like in Aliens, effectively slaying the dragon. He then uses one of his teeth as a flaming sword and is born again as Azor Ahai, at which time Bran wargs into him, kills the lead white walker, and then takes a dump in the middle of the battlefield Strong Belwas style.

MagicHef
04-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Cast pictures

http://imgur.com/a/uXPYY

underrated29
04-10-2013, 01:54 PM
Ahhh, these pictures reminded me of something.

kinda spoiler ( Do you think they will have sam lose all that weight? Like he does in the book?) end spoiler.

Sam sure looks worse clean shaven, from those pictures above.

Boobs McGee
04-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Ahhh, these pictures reminded me of something.

kinda spoiler ( Do you think they will have sam lose all that weight? Like he does in the book?) end spoiler.

Sam sure looks worse clean shaven, from those pictures above.

question for you:

when did he lose the weight? I thought he was fat sam all the way across the seas with the baby and everything....I don't remember reading anything about that! Do you remember which book, or what point in time?

MagicHef
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM
Delete the spaces in the brackets

2KBack
04-10-2013, 02:25 PM
question for you:

when did he lose the weight? I thought he was fat sam all the way across the seas with the baby and everything....I don't remember reading anything about that! Do you remember which book, or what point in time?

I also do not remember this

underrated29
04-10-2013, 02:40 PM
Uhmmm, I think spoiler (It was when they crossed the sea and were starving. On the ship maybe? ****. Originally, I was somehow thinking it was when he was saved by all the crows on the other side of the wall. But after you mentioned him crossing the sea is when I think it was when they were all lying/dying in that little hut or whatever while the other crow went off and got plastered and such.

Im sorry guys, I could be off on this and totally made this up in my head for some reason, but I swear I read it. The only reason why I am thinking I did actually read it was right when I read that I was like "oh dayum! The actor for Sam is going to have to go through some major changes in the way he does things- possibly like a year before they shoot the next season.

But like I said, I could have just made this all up. Can anyone else chime in and confirm or deny this. Book 4 maybe? Five? Aw hell i dont know.

Boobs McGee
04-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Uhmmm, I think spoiler (It was when they crossed the sea and were starving. On the ship maybe? ****. Originally, I was somehow thinking it was when he was saved by all the crows on the other side of the wall. But after you mentioned him crossing the sea is when I think it was when they were all lying/dying in that little hut or whatever while the other crow went off and got plastered and such.

Im sorry guys, I could be off on this and totally made this up in my head for some reason, but I swear I read it. The only reason why I am thinking I did actually read it was right when I read that I was like "oh dayum! The actor for Sam is going to have to go through some major changes in the way he does things- possibly like a year before they shoot the next season.

But like I said, I could have just made this all up. Can anyone else chime in and confirm or deny this. Book 4 maybe? Five? Aw hell i dont know.

When I get home, I'll pull up my ipad and check it out! I seem to remember him still being called "fatty" or something similar when he was in that hut, the other douchey made some comment about how fat he was even though they didn't have anything to eat. "I" could be totally wrong as well!

Boobs McGee
04-10-2013, 03:10 PM
and ps, I just had a tommy boy moment. I've been sitting here sounding out the word "spoiler" for the last few minutes. It's just a weird word. Doesn't look right.

StugotsIII
04-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Question:

Why do you guys think Little Finger does what he does? What is the driving force behind it?

Do you think he just likes chaos or do you think he does it due to his early failed romantic wooing?

Taco John
04-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Question:

Why do you guys think Little Finger does what he does? What is the driving force behind it?

Do you think he just likes chaos or do you think he does it due to his early failed romantic wooing?

Little Finger does what he does for one reason and one reason only: to acquire power.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-10-2013, 11:06 PM
Question:

It's all about being a joke when he was young. He lost his love in embarassing, ass-whoopin' style. People crapped on him because he was a nobody with nothing, and thus viewed him as somebody never to be worth a crap.

He's an angry and bitter man out to screw everyone and everything in his internalized rage.