PDA

View Full Version : OT: Game of Thrones Major Spoiler Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

El Guapo
05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Tywin should have been the absolute first person she had killed. Arrgh, stupid little girl

Boobs McGee
05-23-2012, 12:19 PM
JUST downloaded the kindle versoin of the first book while I was waiting for a client's car at MINI. WOW. While I love the show, so far I'm blown away by what's been written. This is going to consume my nights for a while.

Everyone seems much younger, and Jon Snow seems like quite the badass thus far!

Fedaykin
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM
JUST downloaded the kindle versoin of the first book while I was waiting for a client's car at MINI. WOW. While I love the show, so far I'm blown away by what's been written. This is going to consume my nights for a while.

Most of the young characters got an age boost, which even Martin has said he prefers story wise.

* Robb is in his early 20s instead of 15
* Dany is in her early 20s instead of 13
* Sansa is in her late teens instead of 13

Only those characters not involved in adult oriented scenes (Arya, Rickon, Bran, the younger Baratheons, etc.) were cast close to their "book" age.

It's a good change -- it's hard to realize that Dany is only 13 in the books when she's running around leading Dothraki and later conquering city states and ruling over them

Fedaykin
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Tywin should have been the absolute first person she had killed. Arrgh, stupid little girl

Damn that seven year old for not being a master assassin/strategist.

myMind
05-23-2012, 01:53 PM

Just you wait my friend. When you get to SoS grab a handle of your favorite hooch and enjoy.

Boobs McGee
05-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Most of the young characters got an age boost, which even Martin has said he prefers story wise.

Only those characters not involved in adult oriented scenes (Arya, Rickon, Bran, the younger Baratheons, etc.) were cast close to their "book" age.

It's a good change -- it's hard to realize that Dany is only 13 in the books when she's running around leading Dothraki and later conquering city states and ruling over them

DAMMIT!!!!!! SO, for those who don't wish to unsuspectingly read a spoiler, a bit of advice. When you quote someone, they show up. Sadness.

Anywho, thanks for the info, that makes sense. I was wondering if a big time jump occurred that wasn't shown in the movies or something!

Boobs McGee
05-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Just you wait my friend. When you get to SoS grab a handle of your favorite hooch and enjoy.

First series in a while I can honestly say I'm VERY excited to read when I get home from work!!

Taco John
05-23-2012, 03:54 PM
A word to the wise: it's impossible to be on the internet and not run across spoilers for Game of Thrones. They crop up in places you don't expect even - let alone in threads dedicated to the book. I have no less than 4 major spoilers and I tried hard to avoid them.

Connecticut Bronco Fan
05-23-2012, 06:34 PM

Hard to buy this one, considering she just started menstruating a few episodes ago.

El Guapo
05-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Damn that seven year old for not being a master assassin/strategist.

right?! ;D

I'm a whole book past that one and it still irritates me, boils my blood, chaps my hide, etc, etc. everytime I think about it.

Hard to buy this one, considering she just started menstruating a few episodes ago.

Maybe she's just a late bloomer.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
05-23-2012, 09:12 PM

I think the point of that scene was to show that Sensa was becoming a woman, not to indicate her age.

Fedaykin
05-23-2012, 09:31 PM

Yep, it's certainly still fuzzy, though I was speaking more to the age of the actors and the avoidance of any definitive mention of character's ages rather than anything. Our modern sensibilities couldn't accept 13-15 year olds as anything other than children despite Martin being "historically accurate" in portraying them in the books as being accepted as adults at a much earlier age.

The show makers would have trouble if they cast minors in roles like Sansa or Dany.

With Sansa, her menstruation is a key plot point -- she's now "fit" to marry -- and they decided to stick to the source on that. It's an escalation of her dire situation.

cutthemdown
05-24-2012, 12:24 AM
Looking forward to some action in the next episode. Some of the story lines dragging on pretty slowly IMO.

v2micca
05-29-2012, 06:29 AM
Felt this thread could use a bump in light of this past week's incredible episode, Blackwater.

As a fan of the novels, I had been looking forward to this episode all season long. Praying that HBO would give them the needed budget to realize it and that they could stick the landing on the adaptation front. I have to say, I was not disappointed. It looks like they may have spent 1/3 of their season 2 budget on this episode alone.

Spoiler text follows:

I loved the pacing of this episode. The cuts from the frenetic action to the quiet moments were perfectly realized. Never causing you to loose momentum from the battle and allowing us to stay connected with the characters themselves. Its seems every actor and actress was bringing their A game tonight. Watching Cersei unravel in front of her ladies in waiting was a joy. Sandor Clegane in quite possibly the greatest job resignation speech of all time. Every ****ing scene with Bronn in it. Tyrion volunteering to lead the attack and not quite believing it himself.

As for the stuff, I didn't like, and these are mostly nitpicks. No chain. I know they had to scale down the battle from the books. And I know that rendering dozens of burning ships smashing themselves against the chain as they tried to escape a burning harbor probably just wasn't in the budget. So, I'm guessing in the series, Bronn's knight sigil of a burning chain will be replaced with a flaming arrow instead. I'm sorry we had to loose it, but I understand. Also, Tyrion still has his nose. I know that for the sanity of the actor and the make-up department, they were going to minimize his facial scaring. But, the scene in which Tyrion shouold have lost his nose just felt like the one mis-step in this otherwise superlative episode. It should have been a gory, ugly wound. Instead it ended up looking like a scene out of a JRPG cutscene where a main character receives strategically placed scars that magically avoid doing anything that would actually detract from his looks.

Like I said, small quibbles only. The final scene with the arrival of Tywin and Loras nailed the closing moments and running the credits to the tune of Rains of Castamere was flat out chilling. Perfect touch.

Interested to hear others thoughts.

s0phr0syne
05-29-2012, 07:19 AM
Felt this thread could use a bump in light of this past week's incredible episode, Blackwater.

As a fan of the novels, I had been looking forward to this episode all season long. Praying that HBO would give them the needed budget to realize it and that they could stick the landing on the adaptation front. I have to say, I was not disappointed. It looks like they may have spent 1/3 of their season 2 budget on this episode alone.

Spoiler text follows:

I loved the pacing of this episode. The cuts from the frenetic action to the quiet moments were perfectly realized. Never causing you to loose momentum from the battle and allowing us to stay connected with the characters themselves. Its seems every actor and actress was bringing their A game tonight. Watching Cersei unravel in front of her ladies in waiting was a joy. Sandor Clegane in quite possibly the greatest job resignation speech of all time. Every ****ing scene with Bronn in it. Tyrion volunteering to lead the attack and not quite believing it himself.

As for the stuff, I didn't like, and these are mostly nitpicks. No chain. I know they had to scale down the battle from the books. And I know that rendering dozens of burning ships smashing themselves against the chain as they tried to escape a burning harbor probably just wasn't in the budget. So, I'm guessing in the series, Bronn's knight sigil of a burning chain will be replaced with a flaming arrow instead. I'm sorry we had to loose it, but I understand. Also, Tyrion still has his nose. I know that for the sanity of the actor and the make-up department, they were going to minimize his facial scaring. But, the scene in which Tyrion shouold have lost his nose just felt like the one mis-step in this otherwise superlative episode. It should have been a gory, ugly wound. Instead it ended up looking like a scene out of a JRPG cutscene where a main character receives strategically placed scars that magically avoid doing anything that would actually detract from his looks.

Like I said, small quibbles only. The final scene with the arrival of Tywin and Loras nailed the closing moments and running the credits to the tune of Rains of Castamere was flat out chilling. Perfect touch.

Thanks for the bump! I really enjoyed the episode and appreciate your thoughts since I haven't read the books.

My post however is brief is on my own thoughts.

But, I was going to throw it out there that in my opinion at least, you need not use spoiler text for stuff that's happening in the TV show. I think/hope that it's only being used 1) to not spoil upcoming stuff/discussions about the books for people who haven't read the books and are watching the show, and 2) for people who are behind in the book plot because they've only recently started reading the books.

Of course, I'm no authority on what's right or wrong, but I figure if you're coming to the thread you've at least watched the most recent episode.

El Guapo
05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
I agree with the above as I don't enter this thread until I've caught up on the show (which I just did via DVR). Spoilers should be reserved for future spoilers from book readers. Either way, it's not a huge deal as it just involves highlighting the text.

Anyway, to the episode; it was indeed fantastic. Watching the wildfire do it's thing was awesome, but as the poster above said, losing the chain was a little depressing. The other thing a little different from the book is Clegane asking Sansa for a song before he left. I know this is referenced later when Clegane is travelling with Arya in book four I believe.

Also, in regards to Tyrion, I too expected his nose to be chopped off and my first reaction was disappointment in that department as well. I put this part in spoiler tags because the show is leading the viewer to believe Tyrion is dead (just like the book did) when he is in fact not. If you're reading this, and you haven't read the books... well... shame on you. haha.

Overall I was very happy with this entertaining episode especially the closing credits with the singing of the Rains of Castemere. It gave me goose flesh. haha

cutthemdown
05-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Great episode!

TonyR
05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Probably a stupid question, but why didn't Sansa go with Clegane?!?

TheReverend
05-29-2012, 09:37 AM

I think in the show they used the premise that Stannis was the overwhelming favorite and he's an extremely fair man who would've let her go. In the books I believe she's already working on escape plans with someone else at this point.

Fedaykin
05-29-2012, 10:10 AM

Slightly spoilery: In the books, Sansa already has an escape plan. In the show? Not sure though the right pieces have been setup, we just haven't seen the details like in the books.

If you remember in the first episode the drunk knight that Sansa kept Joffrey from killing (getting him named the king's fool instead). In the books that fellow works to get Sansa out of King's landing. They meet several times to plot an escape (for both of them), and he eventually makes good after the Battle of the Blackwater.

Since they introduced him, I'm assuming he's worked back in for the last episode (or perhaps next season) instead of being a regular background character.

Also, Clegane is a psychopath and obviously suffering a mental break. If you were a young, frightened but not entirely stupid (and rapidily getting wiser) teen girl in Westeros, would you put your life in such a man's hands?

Fedaykin
05-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I was pleased with this episode. Easily the second best hour of television in a long while (the best being "Exodus, Pt. II from Battlestar Galactica, where they escape from new Caprica).

My only real gripe is the damn chain! But they mostly made up for it with some awesome CG wildfire =)

Also seeing Joffrey peeing his panties was hilarious. His armor is going to be terribly rusty. I have to give props to the actor for being able to pull off such a nasty character.

TonyR
05-29-2012, 10:18 AM
Also, Clegane is a psychopath and obviously suffering a mental break. If you were a young, frightened but not entirely stupid (and rapidily getting wiser) teen girl in Westeros, would you put your life in such a man's hands?

My thinking was after her comment about Joffrey returning from battle (paraphrasing, "the wost ones always do"), and Cersei's rather pointed comments about what happens to women when their towns get "sacked" (to the point that she was going to have them all killed if they lost the battle rather than suffer what was coming), her desperation would have met perfectly with the offer take her north. Not an ideal scenario for her, but better than the other options.

lolcopter
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Waiting until season 3 is going to be brutal. This show is so good

El Guapo
05-29-2012, 10:41 AM
I was pleased with this episode. Easily the second best hour of television in a long while (the best being "Exodus, Pt. II from Battlestar Galactica, where they escape from new Caprica).

My only real gripe is the damn chain! But they mostly made up for it with some awesome CG wildfire =)

Also seeing Joffrey peeing his panties was hilarious. His armor is going to be terribly rusty. I have to give props to the actor for being able to pull off such a nasty character.

Ah, another BSG fan. Its hard to top BSG, period.:notworthy

TheReverend
05-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Slightly spoilery: In the books, Sansa already has an escape plan. In the show? Not sure though the right pieces have been setup, we just haven't seen the details like in the books.

If you remember in the first episode the drunk knight that Sansa kept Joffrey from killing (getting him named the king's fool instead). In the books that fellow works to get Sansa out of King's landing. They meet several times to plot an escape (for both of them), and he eventually makes good after the Battle of the Blackwater.

Since they introduced him, I'm assuming he's worked back in for the last episode (or perhaps next season) instead of being a regular background character.

He makes good LONG after Blackwater man. It isn't until after the Red Wedding. In fact, it's even later amid the confusion of Joffrey dying at HIS wedding to Margaery

v2micca
05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
One thing that surprised me in reading through various forums and message boards was the number of fans that Stannis won over to his side with this episode. Its seems that a lot of people were impressed with both his resolve and his determination to lead his men into battle. In direct contrast to Joffrey running to hide behind his mother's skirt, he was the fist man to the shore and the first man up the Ladders.

Stannis really does feel like a metaphor for Conservatives at times. He outwardly remains bound by his honor and loyal to his ideals of law and justice. But there is not room for pity or compassion in the man, and he allows his ideals to justify some pretty dishonorable and dark actions.

However Spoiler text:

His actions in Book 3 do make it a lot easier to envision him as an actual leader. And if you thought he was badd-ass in this episode with just a normal sword, he is pretty damn terrifying once they start figuring out how to forge 'Lightbringer'.

Jason7730
05-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Next weeks the season finale?!!! That sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taco John
05-29-2012, 09:48 PM
HALF MAAAAAN! HALF MAAAAAN!

myMind
05-29-2012, 11:51 PM
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8551/pimpk.jpg

Fedaykin
05-29-2012, 11:52 PM
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8551/pimpk.jpg

hahah, awesome

Taco John
05-30-2012, 01:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CRV8x.gif

zdoor
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM

Spoiler text follows:

I agree with your whole post. Thought it was a great compromise. My wife actually commented on Tyrion's scars saying she preferred the way the handled it on the show.... Guess they got the woman's perspective right on that one.

canadianbroncosfan
05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not going to go through all 30 plus pages because I just started watching the first season and don't want to ruin anything. I've only gotten four episodes in but I foresee a lot of stuff not getting done in the next few weeks because I'm catching up.

Taco John
05-31-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm not going to go through all 30 plus pages because I just started watching the first season and don't want to ruin anything. I've only gotten four episodes in but I foresee a lot of stuff not getting done in the next few weeks because I'm catching up.

try reading the books... lol

El Guapo
05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
lazy bastages. :~ohyah!:

myMind
06-02-2012, 08:32 PM
<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xq6dez"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq6dez_snl-game-of-thrones_shortfilms" target="_blank">SNL - Game of Thrones</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/WatchTooMuch" target="_blank">WatchTooMuch</a></i>

ZONA
06-03-2012, 01:15 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CRV8x.gif

holy pig $hit

Boobs McGee
06-03-2012, 09:44 AM
holy pig $hit

What am I missing in this picture?

And PS, im a third of the way through the second book right now. Mind, blown!

Boobs McGee
06-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Haha nevermind, the gif started working!!!

Baba Booey
06-03-2012, 07:53 PM
White walkers!

spdirty
06-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I don't read the books, so won't be giving away spoilers, but I think the whitewalkers are gonna get to kings landing before Khaleesi fries their asses with her dragons. JMO, I don't know.

Hate the fact that I have to wait probably 9 1/2 months before the next episode. Wish the entire series already aired and I could just Netflix the whole damn thing and take a week's vacation.

Archer81
06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
I want a dragon.

And I really hate Theon Greyjoy.

:Broncos:

Fedaykin
06-03-2012, 09:03 PM
I want a dragon.

And I really hate Theon Greyjoy.

Have no fear, the guy gets his due... and maybe even then some

PRBronco
06-03-2012, 09:07 PM

/shudder

Fedaykin
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
/shudder

Certainly no mercy of a quick death.

CHANGSTER
06-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Is this thread full of book spoilers? I want to check before I start reading through.

myMind
06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Is this thread full of book spoilers? I want to check before I start reading through.

Yes.

Doggcow
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't read the books, so won't be giving away spoilers, but I think the whitewalkers are gonna get to kings landing before Khaleesi fries their asses with her dragons. JMO, I don't know.

Hate the fact that I have to wait probably 9 1/2 months before the next episode. Wish the entire series already aired and I could just Netflix the whole damn thing and take a week's vacation.

I've really been liking Burn Notice, so there's about 6 seasons for ya. Lol

Taco John
06-04-2012, 12:06 AM
I finished all the books, and am re-reading A Game of Thrones right now. I've discovered something in the text that leads me to question whether Jon Snow is actually Ned's son.

Speculative In the book, Ned and Robert are talking about Tywinn Lannister's treachery in taking the Red Castle, and as an off comment, it mentions that Ned had been living a lie the last 14 years -

"Treachery is a coin that the Tragaryen's knew well," Robert said. The anger was building in him again. "Lannister payed them back in kind. It was no less than they deserved. I shall not trouble my sleep over it!"

"You were not there," Ned said, bitterness in his voice. Troubled sleep was no stranger to him. He had lived his lies for fourteen years yet they still haunted him at night. "There was no honor in that conquest."

Whatever lie Eddard has been living for fourteen years, it has to do with a certain 14 year old boy (Jon Snow). What else happened 14 years ago? The death of Lyanna. I suspect that Lyanna is the true mother of Jon Snow, making him a bastard of Raegar Tygaryen, not Eddard.

Hulamau
06-04-2012, 12:14 AM

Yep that's the pisser part of waiting so long.. it will be at least 4 or 5 more years at this rate before its all said and done!

myMind
06-04-2012, 12:30 AM
I finished all the books, and am re-reading A Game of Thrones right now. I've discovered something in the text that leads me to question whether Jon Snow is actually Ned's son.

Speculative In the book, Ned and Robert are talking about Tywinn Lannister's treachery in taking the Red Castle, and as an off comment, it mentions that Ned had been living a lie the last 14 years -
"Treachery is a coin that the Tragaryen's knew well," Robert said. The anger was building in him again. "Lannister payed them back in kind. It was no less than they deserved. I shall not trouble my sleep over it!"

"You were not there," Ned said, bitterness in his voice. Troubled sleep was no stranger to him. He had lived his lies for fourteen years yet they still haunted him at night. "There was no honor in that conquest."
Whatever lie Eddard has been living for fourteen years, it has to do with a certain 14 year old boy (Jon Snow). What else happened 14 years ago? The death of Lyanna. I suspect that Lyanna is the true mother of Jon Snow, making him a bastard of Raegar Tygaryen, not Eddard.

Welcome to R + L = J
You wont have to browse Westeros.org's forums long before you understand.

Archer81
06-04-2012, 12:49 AM

I know. Still hate him. Smarmy little ****.

Taco John
06-04-2012, 12:50 AM
Welcome to R + L = J
You wont have to browse Westeros.org's forums long before you understand.

I should have known this is already a thing. I put that line into google, and sure enough, there are plenty of discussions going on about what it could mean.

Fedaykin
06-04-2012, 01:54 AM
I'm a little annoyed at the changes made to the sacking of Winterfell. They change the character dynamic and are probably a bit confusing to the viewers who don't understand *why* Winterfell was sacked and by whom.

In the books:

Theon conspires with Ramsay "the bastard of Bolton" Snow who is the bastard son of Lord Bolton, one of the Stark's bannermen. Ramsay's forces are the bulk of the northern force besieging Winterfell. They turn on the rest of the force Robb sent to retake Winterfell, and when they are done Theon lets open the gates of Winterfell to let them in, and Ramsay promptly turns on Theon, sacking the city in the process.

Ramsay is basically a psychopath that makes the rest of his psychopathic family look downright sane (the house banner is a "flayed man" because of the family's fondness for flaying their enemies alive).

The way it's done in the series, it's really unclear what happens. I'm surprised they left it so ambiguous.

supermanhr9
06-04-2012, 07:12 AM
Whats worse is there are two VERY important characters missing during all of this... Where are the little frog people??? They play a huge role later on.

Johnykbr
06-04-2012, 07:18 AM
I dunno about you guys but I think the way they handled Jon Snow/Half-Hand was pretty poor.

TheReverend
06-04-2012, 07:35 AM
I dunno about you guys but I think the way they handled Jon Snow/Half-Hand was pretty poor.

^ that. One of two of my biggest concern with the changes.

Meera and Jojen really DON'T do **** if you think about it

Tyrion's nose doesn't matter at all.

The chain was too expensive.

But making Jon look like a bumbling idiot chasing after Ygritte and getting all the rangers killed is as stupid as skipping everything important at the house of the undying

scorpio
06-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Not happy with how they handled Halfhand, makes Jon look like a bitch. Also hated the House of the Undying.

Endy
06-04-2012, 08:05 AM
I'm a little annoyed at the changes made to the sacking of Winterfell. They change the character dynamic and are probably a bit confusing to the viewers who don't understand *why* Winterfell was sacked and by whom.

In the books:

Theon conspires with Ramsay "the bastard of Bolton" Snow who is the bastard son of Lord Bolton, one of the Stark's bannermen. Ramsay's forces are the bulk of the northern force besieging Winterfell. They turn on the rest of the force Robb sent to retake Winterfell, and when they are done Theon lets open the gates of Winterfell to let them in, and Ramsay promptly turns on Theon, sacking the city in the process.

Ramsay is basically a psychopath that makes the rest of his psychopathic family look downright sane (the house banner is a "flayed man" because of the family's fondness for flaying their enemies alive).

The way it's done in the series, it's really unclear what happens. I'm surprised they left it so ambiguous.

Yeah, I haven't read the books and I left last night's episode wondering WTF happened there. Theon was knocked out so why the hell was Winterfell sacked? Even after reading your spoiler, I still don't get it b/c it doesn't appear as though anybody at all is left when Bran leaves.

Cornfused.

JLesSPE
06-04-2012, 08:08 AM
Yeah, I haven't read the books and I left last night's episode wondering WTF happened there. Theon was knocked out so why the hell was Winterfell sacked? Even after reading your spoiler, I still don't get it b/c it doesn't appear as though anybody at all is left when Bran leaves.

Cornfused.

I've read the books but watched it with someone who hasn't. After that happened he was asking where the 500 men outside the walls went. I tried to explain what happened in the book and ended up confusing myself. I just assume they'll have some dialogue in season 3 to explain what happened.

That being said. I laughed my ass off when they knocked him out after his speech.

cutthemdown
06-04-2012, 09:48 AM

But making Jon look like a bumbling idiot chasing after Ygritte and getting all the rangers killed is as stupid as skipping everything important at the house of the undying

I didn't read books but the whole time watching i was like this Snow guy pissing me off. How do you get lost that fast? How could you be that stupid? etc etc. Glad that was just a mess up by the script writing.

Then also making us wait soo long to get to the warlocks house of undying, just seemed like a joke when they take 10 minutes to resolve the whole situation and we don't see much or understand what that place was.

cutthemdown
06-04-2012, 09:50 AM
It was cool finally getting to see the dragons kill someone. Also you can see how much the love their mother! They are going to wreak some havoc on Westeros when they become a little bigger.

Last thing, the white walkers. Obviously there are 2 kinds of walkers. Up to now we had only seen the zombie type. Those ones on horses though were obviously leaders of them, and some different creature altogether. Crazy!

cutthemdown
06-04-2012, 09:52 AM

In the books:

Probably they explain it start of season 3. If not I guess i need to read the books. I should go read books 1 and 2 right now?

Johnykbr
06-04-2012, 10:17 AM
It was cool finally getting to see the dragons kill someone. Also you can see how much the love their mother! They are going to wreak some havoc on Westeros when they become a little bigger.

Last thing, the white walkers. Obviously there are 2 kinds of walkers. Up to now we had only seen the zombie type. Those ones on horses though were obviously leaders of them, and some different creature altogether. Crazy!

The weird looking guys with the wrinkled skin and the ice weapons are the White Walkers. They create the wights (zombies).

TheReverend
06-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Probably they explain it start of season 3. If not I guess i need to read the books. I should go read books 1 and 2 right now?

You can probably just pick up at book 3 and not have missed too much. Can give you cliffs via PM of what the show missed pretty easily

Johnykbr
06-04-2012, 10:28 AM

The problem there though is that they will have to keep Bran and Rickon together rather than splitting them up like in the book. This might cause problems with whatever GRRM puts in next book

TheReverend
06-04-2012, 10:45 AM
The problem there though is that they will have to keep Bran and Rickon together rather than splitting them up like in the book. This might cause problems with whatever GRRM puts in next book

That's just an assumption you're making. So little happens on Brans journey precoldhands that they could cut it all out outside of the one scene with jon and the wildlings.

Taco John
06-04-2012, 11:00 AM

You should read them all. In fact, I'll say that you won't be able to help yourself. Once you start reading the books, the show is a bit of a distraction. It offers nice texture because you can better picture the characters, but the book is far, far superior to the television program. Also, book 3 is a splendid read - especially the last 1/3 of it. The character development, plus the various plots going on during book 3 are awesome. You'll be amazed at how much you end up liking Jamie Lannister after you get into the thick of his POV chapters.

Taco John
06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
FYI - Meera and Jojen are in the cast list for next season.

drail 24 48
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
Anyone mind PM or putting in spoiler text what they messed up with Snow/Half-Hand. Also any quick text of what was skipped in the House of the Undying. Just curious and get so easily spoiled going to GOT wiki pages. When I finally get time I will most sure read these books.

Fedaykin
06-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Anyone mind PM or putting in spoiler text what they messed up with Snow/Half-Hand. Also any quick text of what was skipped in the House of the Undying. Just curious and get so easily spoiled going to GOT wiki pages. When I finally get time I will most sure read these books.

[/quote]

In the books, the halfhand *orders* Jon Snow to kill him to set up some good old fashioned double agent goodness. There's a very nicely written battle where we see Jon's internal struggle to follow the order (he's being asked to kill a hero of the Night's Watch in order to get in with the wildlings), and we learn that the half-hand basically puts up a good show but could easily have bested Jon. Jon only "wins" after he gets an assist from his wolf.

In the series they just kind had him piss of Jon and he rather unceremoniously offs the half hand.

Also, I'm sad they never showed his namesake (having half his hand chopped off), but I suppose they spent their budget pretty well on the more important parts.

Fedaykin
06-04-2012, 11:51 AM

Dany's whole storyline is pretty butchered in this season.

She doesn't go directly to Qarth after crossing the Red wastes, the "13" are just a merchant guild, not the leadership, of Qarth. Her Dragons are never stolen (in the books she refuses to trade one of her dragons for the fleet she wants) and her handmaidens don't betray her. Also Xaro was a skinny, pale homosexual not a summer islander, and Dany runs around half naked most of the time (Qarth fashion was to expose one breast). In the books she goes to the House of the Undying to seek council from the warlocks.

However, the real head scratcher is that omitted the fact that she is given three prophecies: she must light three fires, for life, for death, to love; ride three mounts, to bed, to dread, to love; and know three treasons, for blood, for gold, for love. Dan't really claim there was a budget problem so I have no idea why they omitted -- probably simply because people won't remember long enough?

They also cut what happens directly after during her escape, but that's probably just moved to S3 as it (re)introduces new long term characters.

TheReverend
06-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Dany's whole storyline is pretty butchered in this season.

She doesn't go directly to Qarth after crossing the Red wastes, the "13" are just a merchant guild, not the leadership, of Qarth. Her Dragons are never stolen (in the books she refuses to trade one of her dragons for the fleet she wants) and her handmaidens don't betray her. Also Xaro was a skinny, pale homosexual not a summer islander, and Dany runs around half naked most of the time (Qarth fashion was to expose one breast). In the books she goes to the House of the Undying to seek council from the warlocks.

However, the real head scratcher is that omitted the fact that she is given three prophecies: she must light three fires, for life, for death, to love; ride three mounts, to bed, to dread, to love; and know three treasons, for blood, for gold, for love. Dan't really claim there was a budget problem so I have no idea why they omitted -- probably simply because people won't remember long enough?

They also cut what happens directly after during her escape, but that's probably just moved to S3 as it (re)introduces new long term characters.

^

+ the Undying themselves

+ a dozen visions from Pentos to Stannis and more, and probably most importantly Rhaegar's "He has a song. He is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." and "There must be one more; the dragon has three heads."

myMind
06-04-2012, 12:05 PM

Very true. Im begining to wonder how they will work in the whole Tower of Joy, R + L = J subplot. The only person alive that knows what really happened hasnt even been introduced in the books yet. I feel like we've discussed this already...

TheReverend
06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Very true. Im begining to wonder how they will work in the whole Tower of Joy, R + L = J subplot. The only person alive that knows what really happened hasnt even been introduced in the books yet. I feel like we've discussed this already...

Would bet money Howland is introduced in WoW and spills the beans.

Taco John
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM

I expect you're right, but Jojen and Meera may also know the truth - whatever the truth is.

myMind
06-04-2012, 12:13 PM
That's just an assumption you're making. So little happens on Brans journey precoldhands that they could cut it all out outside of the one scene with jon and the wildlings.

I'd say Bran being guided by Jojen learning to control his warging ability is fairly important, though it could be relegated to a handful of short scenes easily. I would bet that they seperate Bran and Rickon when the Reeds show up next season.

In general I feel that they attributed way too much time to the events in Kings Landing, and the other more interesting and important plots suffered for it.

myMind
06-04-2012, 12:16 PM

Im sure it will happen, wouldnt be surprised if he is somehow at the wall.

Kaylore
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I'd say Bran being guided by Jojen learning to control his warging ability is fairly important, though it could be relegated to a handful of short scenes easily. I would bet that they seperate Bran and Rickon when the Reeds show up next season.

In general I feel that they attributed way too much time to the events in Kings Landing, and the other more interesting and important plots suffered for it.

I agree. Probably cost related.

bronco militia
06-04-2012, 12:44 PM
http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/TyrionCerseipats-465x600.jpg

Fedaykin
06-04-2012, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I really think HBO needs to increase to at least 12 epis, which is pretty normal for their series anyway.

I suggest they scrap the terrible "Girls" and reassign all its budget too.

TheReverend
06-04-2012, 01:04 PM

RE: your spoiler. I guess you didnt notice but Osha pretty much handled ALL of that this past season on the show.

TheReverend
06-04-2012, 01:06 PM
Im sure it will happen, wouldnt be surprised if he is somehow at the wall.

Haha yeah, EVERYONE needs to GTFUpthere or there's not enough pepper for the Westerosi collective anguses.

Endy
06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
So let's say I've watched seasons one and two but don't want to go back and read books one and two. Actually I would, but my reading time is filled up with lots of other books that must be read. Would I be able to pick up the third book and understand what was going on just having watched the first two on TV?

Thanks and I'll listen off the air.

Fedaykin
06-04-2012, 04:23 PM
So let's say I've watched seasons one and two but don't want to go back and read books one and two. Actually I would, but my reading time is filled up with lots of other books that must be read. Would I be able to pick up the third book and understand what was going on just having watched the first two on TV?

Yeah; All of the major plot lines are in motion, though lots of little details have changed.

Taco John
06-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Yes, for sure. The details you'd miss wouldn't be important enough to ruin your read. This would, however, be like going straight for dessert before having your steak and wine (Book three is the best book of the series in most opinions). You can't lose, to be sure - especially if you don't have the time to read the first two books. But the first two books provide better character details than you currently know - including the character of Westeros itself.

Dutch
06-05-2012, 01:42 AM
Yes, for sure. The details you'd miss wouldn't be important enough to ruin your read. This would, however, be like going straight for dessert before having your steak and wine (Book three is the best book of the series in most opinions). You can't lose, to be sure - especially if you don't have the time to read the first two books. But the first two books provide better character details than you currently know - including the character of Westeros itself.

Nice way of putting it, Taco. I agree completely. Also, nice to see/read you here, Endy. Been awhile oldtimer.

Endy
06-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Nice way of putting it, Taco. I agree completely. Also, nice to see/read you here, Endy. Been awhile oldtimer.

Still read the mane every day. Don't post much though (obviously). I usually don't get into threads until they've hit the third/fourth page digression into idiocy. This is where I make the requisite statement about how good things used to be in the "Good Old Days" of OM when we all just hated the Chiefs/Raiders/Chargers and not each other.

Old is right though. That pic in my avatar is of my first son who was born in October 2003, about 7 months after I joined the OM. He's in 3rd grade now and travels every year to Denver to see at least one Broncos game. Should probably get around to changing that avatar some time.

manchambo
06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
I finally watched the finale last night (I had gotten far behind, but watched five episodes the past two nights). I agree that the sacking of Winterfell was perplexing to someone who hasn't read the book yet.

I was also a bit confused by what happened to the Hound and Sansa--we see them leaving and then Sansa is in the throne room when Tywin rides his horse in, etc. Is there more to this part of the story that will be revealed later? Did I miss something?

TheReverend
06-06-2012, 09:27 AM
I finally watched the finale last night (I had gotten far behind, but watched five episodes the past two nights). I agree that the sacking of Winterfell was perplexing to someone who hasn't read the book yet.

I was also a bit confused by what happened to the Hound and Sansa--we see them leaving and then Sansa is in the throne room when Tywin rides his horse in, etc. Is there more to this part of the story that will be revealed later? Did I miss something?

Sansa didn't go with the Hound. She said no when he offered to take her away.

Boobs McGee
06-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Sansa didn't go with the Hound. She said no when he offered to take her away.

When i saw that in the show, I couldn't BELIEVE she didn't go with him!!!! About halfway through book 2 now, and the Hound is still one of my favorite characters. Tyrion is head and shoulders above everyone else though, that little (p)imp is just such an incredible character.

Also, one thing that I've noticed, is that Varys isn't getting some of the justice he deserves imo. In the books, he comes off as MUCH more cunning/capable than he does on t.v.

Can't put these books down, SO much more in depth!!!!!!!!

TheReverend
06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
When i saw that in the show, I couldn't BELIEVE she didn't go with him!!!! About halfway through book 2 now, and the Hound is still one of my favorite characters. Tyrion is head and shoulders above everyone else though, that little (p)imp is just such an incredible character.

Also, one thing that I've noticed, is that Varys isn't getting some of the justice he deserves imo. In the books, he comes off as MUCH more cunning/capable than he does on t.v.

Can't put these books down, SO much more in depth!!!!!!!!

Maybe so, but Varys also comes off FAR MORE likeable in the show than in the books, imo.

Boobs McGee
06-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Maybe so, but Varys also comes off FAR MORE likeable in the show than in the books, imo.

I would agree with that...however I'm not TOO far along yet, and as of right now the books convey a fairly soft side. Of course, he'll do anything to help the realm, and his little birds ARE everywhere, and jrrm HAS duped me into believing his lies much like Ned Stark did...SO MUCH DECEIT!!!!! NO ONE CAN BE TRUSTED!!!!!!

Another quick thing - for someone that hasn't checked ahead for spoilers, I'm getting a strong feeling that Arya and Robert's Bastard Gendry are headed for big things. Seems like it could be a love story in the making? She'd be a pretty bowss queen (imo) someday, if Stannis/Rob/Joff/ are all killed off. I really like that there are soooo many possibilities! LOVE THIS SERIES!

myMind
06-06-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm getting a strong feeling that Arya and Robert's Bastard Gendry are headed for big things. Seems like it could be a love story in the making? She'd be a pretty bowss queen (imo) someday, if Stannis/Rob/Joff/ are all killed off. I really like that there are soooo many possibilities! LOVE THIS SERIES!

You'll have your answer in book three.

TheReverend
06-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I would agree with that...however I'm not TOO far along yet, and as of right now the books convey a fairly soft side. Of course, he'll do anything to help the realm, and his little birds ARE everywhere, and jrrm HAS duped me into believing his lies much like Ned Stark did...SO MUCH DECEIT!!!!! NO ONE CAN BE TRUSTED!!!!!!

Another quick thing - for someone that hasn't checked ahead for spoilers, I'm getting a strong feeling that Arya and Robert's Bastard Gendry are headed for big things. Seems like it could be a love story in the making? She'd be a pretty bowss queen (imo) someday, if Stannis/Rob/Joff/ are all killed off. I really like that there are soooo many possibilities! LOVE THIS SERIES!

By the end of book 5 Arya is pregnant with Gendry's baby.

Shananahan
06-06-2012, 11:07 AM
http://store.hbo.com/game-of-thrones-life-size-replica-iron-throne/detail.php?p=373634&v=hbo_new-arrivals

Fedaykin
06-06-2012, 11:09 AM

And obviously dark magics were involved, or they are using rBGH in the milk in Westeros =)

Shananahan
06-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Jesus, waaaaaaaaaaaay too many spoilers in this thread. Somebody should have started a thread for the books and a thread for the show and prevented all this overlap.

Boobs McGee
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Good Laaaaawd if that's true when I get to the fifth book I'm warping back in time to superdragonpunch your genitalia.

underrated29
06-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Jesus, waaaaaaaaaaaay too many spoilers in this thread. Somebody should have started a thread for the books and a thread for the show and prevented all this overlap.

Rev is effing with you guys on the baby part. He would just blast out a spoiler like that if it was true....Hes kind enough to put up the spoiler tags when needed.

Having said that I still cant believe SPOILER: that joffrey knocked up his own mother...End Spoiler---the incest runs deep in that family.

Boobs McGee
06-06-2012, 12:01 PM
Lolz you guys are baaaaad!

TheReverend
06-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Rev is effing with you guys on the baby part.

lol this, she's still like 9...

lolcopter
06-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I hate you guys. Gonna go back and rewatch season 1 and 2 again now

underrated29
06-06-2012, 12:22 PM
On a serious note, Im a little more than halfway through book 5 and I am really enjoying this book. I know a fair few people said they did not like it or gave the book bad reviews, but I would disagree. I like 5 infinitely better than 4. And while I think comparatively book 4 sucked. It was still a great book. Five, though seems to be bringing things in motion a bit more, which we readers already knew.

Im just pumped that the produces just signed on for two more years. That will get us through book 3, and once they get those two seasons moving I think the popularity will be at an all time high. (book 3 was a beast)

DontBeMessin
06-06-2012, 12:43 PM
I think it's retarded that Winter never comes.....

TheReverend
06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
I think it's retarded that Winter never comes.....

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cO0IpLClLOQ/TG3R2nv5aJI/AAAAAAAABw0/Gx4twEFTsao/s1600/Facepalm.jpg

Taco John
06-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Is it Gendry's baby? Or is it The Hounds? That is kind of left up for question.

El Guapo
06-06-2012, 01:02 PM
http://store.hbo.com/game-of-thrones-life-size-replica-iron-throne/detail.php?p=373634&v=hbo_new-arrivals

Hilarious!

TheReverend
06-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Is it Gendry's baby? Or is it The Hounds? That is kind of left up for question.

Doesn't matter since all three are dead :)

Fedaykin
06-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Good Laaaaawd if that's true when I get to the fifth book I'm warping back in time to superdragonpunch your genitalia.

She's 7 man. (Maybe 8, the timeline is unclear) ....

Fedaykin
06-06-2012, 01:21 PM
On a serious note, Im a little more than halfway through book 5 and I am really enjoying this book. I know a fair few people said they did not like it or gave the book bad reviews, but I would disagree. I like 5 infinitely better than 4. And while I think comparatively book 4 sucked. It was still a great book. Five, though seems to be bringing things in motion a bit more, which we readers already knew.

Im just pumped that the produces just signed on for two more years. That will get us through book 3, and once they get those two seasons moving I think the popularity will be at an all time high. (book 3 was a beast)

I've immensely enjoyed all the books. They are pretty much exactly the kind of book(s) I love (see: Dune series as well). I absolutely love the 1st person POV including, in detail, character thoughts. So fascinating to read -- way more than poorly written action which a lot of sci-fi/fantasy is.

Tyrion's inner dialog is a thing of beauty.

peacepipe
06-07-2012, 06:09 AM
just getting through 3/4 of book 3,the robb stark/catlyn storyline really through me off,although I suspected something I didn't expect what happened to happen.

drail 24 48
06-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Thanks man! Those do sound much better I have to say. Wish they had at least 1 or 2 eps more a season!

TheReverend
06-07-2012, 07:08 AM
Btw, little noticed thing about Oberyn and Tywin (don't read spoiler unless you've read book 3)

Oberyn poisoned Tywin and he was going to die whether Tyrion shot him or not

"Where will I find my lord father?”
“In the solar with Lord Tyrell and Prince Oberyn.”

“Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.”

“Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever.”

The King’s Hand was rotting visibly. His face had taken on a greenish tinge, and his eyes were deeply sunken, two black pits. Fissures had opened in his cheeks, and a foul white fluid was seeping through the joints of his splendid gold-and-crimson armor to pool beneath his body.

...and of course the smell.

lolcopter
06-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Started watching season 1 again. Pretty cool seeing the interactions between characters like Jon snow and tyrion, lord stark and Jaime lannister, Joffrey and arya, etc etc

JLesSPE
06-07-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm thinking about starting over with the books after I finish book 5. There seems to be so much detail I missed the first time through.

peacepipe
06-07-2012, 07:33 AM
I'm hoping there isn't a long wait for book 6.

v2micca
06-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Btw, little noticed thing about Oberyn and Tywin (don't read spoiler unless you've read book 3)

“Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.”

The King’s Hand was rotting visibly. His face had taken on a greenish tinge, and his eyes were deeply sunken, two black pits. Fissures had opened in his cheeks, and a foul white fluid was seeping through the joints of his splendid gold-and-crimson armor to pool beneath his body.

Dude, I completely missed that on my first read through. Awesome.

No wonder Tywin was in the crapper and appeared to be visibly struggling when Tyrian popped and arrow in his @ss.

Seriously, that is one thing that I truly regret losing in the TV adaptation. All the subtlety is gone. In the books you have to pay attention to realize how savvy and ambitious Margery Tyrel is. In the show, they kind of smack you over the head with it. I understand that they have to play to the cheap seats, but I really wish they would do more to reward those who are watching carefully.

TheReverend
06-07-2012, 07:52 AM
Seriously, that is one thing that I truly regret losing in the TV adaptation. All the subtlety is gone. In the books you have to pay attention to realize how savvy and ambitious Margery Tyrel is. In the show, they kind of smack you over the head with it. I understand that they have to play to the cheap seats, but I really wish they would do more to reward those who are watching carefully.

Martin is a world class troll.

Kaylore
06-07-2012, 08:55 AM
Started watching season 1 again. Pretty cool seeing the interactions between characters like Jon snow and tyrion, lord stark and Jaime lannister, Joffrey and arya, etc etc

I still think Cercei is poorly played. She seems so lethargic and depressed. Cercei reads like an angry spitfire who flies off the handle. Lena Headey plays her depressed and drab.

Fedaykin
06-07-2012, 11:51 AM
I still think Cercei is poorly played. She seems so lethargic and depressed. Cercei reads like an angry spitfire who flies off the handle. Lena Headey plays her depressed and drab.

Well, in the books you get to hear her inner monologue.

El Guapo
06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Dude, I completely missed that on my first read through. Awesome.

No wonder Tywin was in the crapper and appeared to be visibly struggling when Tyrian popped and arrow in his @ss.

he gets shot just above his junk, but yeah, I understand. I guess I completely missed that part of the book as well. Thanks for posting OG poster.

Archer81
06-07-2012, 12:30 PM
I am looking forward to season 3. The deaths, oh the glorious deaths...

supermanhr9
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I am looking forward to season 3. The deaths, oh the glorious deaths...

NO kidding. I feel bad for people who haven't read the books... they have no idea what they are in for in season 3. They will do it GRAVE injustice unless they make it at least 12 epeisodes long. So much happens in book 3. So much awesomeness.

I hated book 4, so looking forward to how they handle that. My guess it will more enjoyable watching book 4 than reading it. They'll "HBO" it up a bit.

More boobies!

Archer81
06-07-2012, 12:41 PM
NO kidding. I feel bad for people who haven't read the books... they have no idea what they are in for in season 3. They will do it GRAVE injustice unless they make it at least 12 epeisodes long. So much happens in book 3. So much awesomeness.

I hated book 4, so looking forward to how they handle that. My guess it will more enjoyable watching book 4 than reading it. They'll "HBO" it up a bit.

More boobies!

There is one death in particular I can't wait to see. And when it happens I will shed tears of happiness.

More boobies, more wang or GTFO.

Fedaykin
06-07-2012, 01:58 PM

More boobies!

I hope the plan is still to do two seasons (20eps) for book 3. It's easily the best book, and had so much happen it would be a travesty to try doing it in only 10 eps.

lolcopter
06-07-2012, 02:04 PM
I hope the plan is still to do two seasons (20eps) for book 3. It's easily the best book, and had so much happen it would be a travesty to try doing it in only 10 eps.

I don't know the episode count, but they are supposedly splitting up the 3rd season

Kaylore
06-07-2012, 02:13 PM
I don't know the episode count, but they are supposedly splitting up the 3rd season

Good. Do it right.

JLesSPE
06-07-2012, 02:17 PM

I hope its more like season 3A and 3B with a short break in between the two. I remember Entourage doing that at least once.

TheReverend
06-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I wonder what they might use as the split up point to create a big "WTF" end of season moment...

Archer81
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM
I wonder what they might use as the split up point to create a big "WTF" end of season moment...

It will involve food, I'm sure. Just spitballing here, of course.

JLesSPE
06-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Not sure, there really aren't any big moments to choose from...

TheReverend
06-07-2012, 03:11 PM
If I HAD to guess, I'd say they go with when Cersei ****s the Hound so he'll stay to protect Joffrey but more likely they'll use Melisandre killing Stannis.

JLesSPE
06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
If I HAD to guess, I'd say they go with when Cersei ****s the Hound so he'll stay to protect Joffrey but more likely they'll use Melisandre killing Stannis.

Another good breaking point would be when Jon becomes the leader of the white walkers and randomly declares war on Pentos.

underrated29
06-07-2012, 03:59 PM
It will be red I am sure. But.....SPOILERS:...I doubt they use the part where John becomes the WW leader. I think more and more it would be pertinent to where Khaleesi does the nasty with her dragon- although I am not sure they will show it, but they did show other nudity so you never know- and see the birth of the human dragon thing (drakgano)-.......SPOILER END)- I think part is a little more pivital and would leave people hanging on their seats for the second half.

El Guapo
06-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Use f'n spoiler tags people. That's what they're there for. (No, not for me. Just being considerate; amazing concept.)

lolcopter
06-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah if those are real spoilers I hate you guys

underrated29
06-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Use f'n spoiler tags people. That's what they're there for. (No, not for me. Just being considerate; amazing concept.)

I have been
^5

Taco John
06-07-2012, 10:11 PM

There's only one thing it could possibly be ...

THE RED WEDDING

Taco John
06-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Yeah if those are real spoilers I hate you guys

Is it really that big of a spoiler to learn that Tyrion trains Nymeria and rides her into battles against the Dornish?

Fedaykin
06-07-2012, 10:33 PM

THE RED WEDDING

That's a ...natural cut off point for the story in the Seven kingdoms, but what about at the wall and in the east?

Also, where does Joffrey's assassination fit in? Think they'll change the timeline a bit and push it back to the "climax" of the second part of the season?

myMind
06-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Huge spoiler

Joffrey's death would work to front the gap, more as a cathartic moment than a wtf one... then completely shake people up with the RW early in the fourth season. I would be happy with that. Danny aquiring the unsullied and meeting Selmy in S3, the rest in four. Sam and the NW rout at the FotFM + some John and Yrgritte's journey to the wall in S3, the rest in 4, oh wait...Bran has to meet the Reed's and Journey north, the Bastard of Bolton, not to mention Jaime Lannister and the BC, ****...I hope they can do it justice.

Btw, trolls are trolling on this page.

underrated29
06-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Huge spoiler]

Btw, trolls are trolling on this page.

Real spoiler below, do not read unless read book 3...

SPOILER -If they do it with Joff though then they would have a lot to fill in afterwards, the hearing for tryion and getting the viper to fight the mountain and such. I just think that would be to premature to end it with that. I could see it happening mid way through the season and then leaving it hanging where sansa is on the run....I forgot my timelines a bit here too, but when tyrion used his cross bow, was that near the end of 3 or middle? I was thinking it was middle and that would seem to be a more likely cause for the wtf? Joff is dead midway through, then at the break tryion offs his dad and then splits. Who knows. Spoiler end.....

Man I cant wait, but I love the idea, however unlikley that they would do season 3, which ends about his time of the year, and then finish season it up sometime in the fall. It wont happen but it would be great.

Taco John
06-08-2012, 11:32 AM

This blew my mind and answers a few questions that I had. This book is so well thought out and written, it's amazing to me. Just when you think there is a plot hole, or something doesn't make sense, you find something hidden (in plain sight) that explains it.

TheReverend
06-08-2012, 12:13 PM
This blew my mind and answers a few questions that I had. This book is so well thought out and written, it's amazing to me. Just when you think there is a plot hole, or something doesn't make sense, you find something hidden (in plain sight) that explains it.

Yup. Even seeing that Oberyn would even go near Mace Tyrell shows that something was up.

Btw, Oberyn's the best character in the series by a large margin.

myMind
06-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Tormund Giantsbane, Jon Snow, and Tryion Lannister say hi.

peacepipe
06-08-2012, 01:04 PM

THE RED WEDDING

it sure as hell was a WTF moment for me.

Fedaykin
06-08-2012, 01:21 PM
it sure as hell was a WTF moment for me.

It's an interesting commentary (to me) that House Stark, by all accounts the only truly good family in all of Westeros, was allied with the Boltons and the Freys when they are capable of such treachery.

Taco John
06-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Yup. Even seeing that Oberyn would even go near Mace Tyrell shows that something was up.

Oberyn is badass, but I think my favorite character is Jamie Lannister - I love the complexity of him and how on the surface he looks like one thing, but underneath all the armor and bravado he's such a complex, but yet simple creature.

Too bad we weren't lucky enough to have gotten some Oberyn POV chapters. Biggest mistake GRRM ever made not doing that.

Natedogg
06-08-2012, 11:47 PM
Oberyn is badass, but I think my favorite character is Jamie Lannister - I love the complexity of him and how on the surface he looks like one thing, but underneath all the armor and bravado he's such a complex, but yet simple creature.

Too bad we weren't lucky enough to have gotten some Oberyn POV chapters. Biggest mistake GRRM ever made not doing that.

Possible we could still get something resembling that....

DivineLegion
06-09-2012, 08:02 AM

I'm almost done with GOT for the second time too, and I noticed this...

Jon sticks his arms in the burning curtains to kill the white walker in Lord Mormonts bed chamber, and gets pleasure from the flames

Nm, I should have read further. I forgot how bad his burns are.

v2micca
06-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Good. Do it right.

Ugh, please. Splitting one of the books into two seasons will not make it better, it will just add more bloat. And David Benioff and D.B. Wiess would not use the extra episodes to include more of the secondary characters and plot line from the books, but to introduce more of their own creations. Ironically, I think forcing them to keep the narrative tighter would also force them to stay closer to the source material.

Kaylore
06-11-2012, 06:33 AM
Ugh, please. Splitting one of the books into two seasons will not make it better, it will just add more bloat. And David Benioff and D.B. Wiess would not use the extra episodes to include more of the secondary characters and plot line from the books, but to introduce more of their own creations. Ironically, I think forcing them to keep the narrative tighter would also force them to stay closer to the source material.

I think their job is to make a good series. You just cannot "copy" a book that has things like a character's inner monologue as he experiences emotions and sees and experiences things that trigger memories, etc. This is why I never fault writers for endeavoring to make something a good Movie/show/whatever first and then trying hard to be as close to the source material as possible. Tyrion's inner insecurity adds a whole level to his character that makes him even more likable and that is harder to reveal in the series. It's still good, though.

I mean you want to complain Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings, that's fine. I don't expect my book-based media to be as good or even like books. That's why I read them.

TheReverend
06-11-2012, 06:47 AM
Nm, I should have read further. I forgot how bad his burns are.

his burns are irrelevant and have nothing to do with his lineage. Martin has even said Dany's fire trick was a one time and she herself is far from immune to fire/heat (yes, I know, the Pentos bath scene too)

v2micca
06-11-2012, 06:54 AM
I think their job is to make a good series. You just cannot "copy" a book that has things like a character's inner monologue as he experiences emotions and sees and experiences things that trigger memories, etc. This is why I never fault writers for endeavoring to make something a good Movie/show/whatever first and then trying hard to be as close to the source material as possible. Tyrion's inner insecurity adds a whole level to his character that makes him even more likable and that is harder to reveal in the series. It's still good, though.

I mean you want to complain Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings, that's fine. I don't expect my book-based media to be as good or even like books. That's why I read them.

Hey, I have no problem with scenes and characters being left or tweaked from the book in the translation to the Film. Like you said, some scenes just don't translate well to film or would kill the pacing of the film. I get that. I do have a problem with creating new material and inserting it into the story. Like I said, would rather see the Show Runners work with ten episodes and be forced to streamline more of the book and stay truer to the series, than add another 10 episodes were they decide to toss in more random dragon kidnapping or Varys teams with Ros to take the iron throne plot threads.

Boobs McGee
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Holy bawls.

**** YOU FREYS AND WALDERS!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooou aaaaallllllll!!!!! Ishould've known that was too easy. poor stark family. I will say this..catelyn deserved to die imo. She was the cause of the majority of problems.
One quick question...can someone explain to me who John Snow 's mother wyllas is? Starfell? I'm not sure if I missed it, but what's the significance there?

TheReverend
06-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Holy bawls.

**** YOU FREYS AND WALDERS!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuun yoooooooooou aaaaallllllll!!!!! Ishould've known that was too easy. poor stark family. I will say this..catelyn deserved to die imo. She was the cause of the majority of problems.
One quick question...can someone explain to me who John Snow 's mother wyllas is? Starfell? I'm not sure if I missed it, but what's the significance there?

lol

His mother is most likely Lyanna Stark and his father Rhaegar

Boobs McGee
06-12-2012, 12:45 PM
lol

His mother is most likely Lyanna Stark and his father Rhaegar

Ooooooooooh SHIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!

Im literally at the part where the hound and arya are outside the portcullis of the twins. Will the Raegar revelation bear itself later in this book? Also, does that mean that Dany and he are cousins!?!

underrated29
06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Boobs- We dont know yet

TheReverend
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Ooooooooooh SHIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!

Im literally at the part where the hound and arya are outside the portcullis of the twins. Will the Raegar revelation bear itself later in this book? Also, does that mean that Dany and he are cousins!?!

It hasn't come out in any of the books yet, but its heavily alluded to.

Taco John
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Holy bawls.

**** YOU FREYS AND WALDERS!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuun yoooooooooou aaaaallllllll!!!!! Ishould've known that was too easy. poor stark family. I will say this..catelyn deserved to die imo. She was the cause of the majority of problems.

There are several conflicting stories about who Jon's mother is. The true story died with Ned, however there is one man who is presumed to have the full truth still alive: Howland Reed - Jojen and Meera's Reed's father. They may know the truth as well.

JLesSPE
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM
haha, I love the reaction

El Guapo
06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
There are several conflicting stories about who Jon's mother is. The true story died with Ned, however there is one man who is presumed to have the full truth still alive: Howland Reed - Jojen and Meera's Reed's father. They may know the truth as well.

too bad they're nowhere to be found on the tv series.

Boobs McGee
06-12-2012, 01:04 PM
WOW mind = blown. Thanks for the responses everyone. This has been the most fruitful three days of 101+ degree fevers and jury duty ever! I should be done with book 3 by tomorrow!

Kaylore
06-12-2012, 01:42 PM

This.

Fedaykin
06-12-2012, 03:03 PM

They will be in next season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-throne-season-3-cast/

I can forgive the changes here, it would suck (for both actors and the production) to bring in important character actors for a couple minutes of screen time in one season and then not see them again until the next season.

Fedaykin
06-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Anyone else similarly impressed/amused by GRRM's character names?

I figure anyone that can pull off naming a semi-important character Whoresbane is badass =)

Taco John
06-12-2012, 04:27 PM

They are scheduled to enter the story in season 3.

elsid13
06-12-2012, 04:50 PM
It has been so long since I actually read the freaking books that I am missing out on all the secondary characters and plot lines. It been about 15 years since I started reading this series.

Kaylore
06-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I really wish people would quit whining this isn't exactly like the books. It's primary goal is to be a good TV series. They are going to shuffle things around to save set money and make the script work for the small screen. That means you won't see 10000 Dothraki every episode, and they won't show the hot springs pumping through the walls of Winterfell castle. Just enjoy the series and be patient.

Taco John
06-12-2012, 05:16 PM
It has been so long since I actually read the freaking books that I am missing out on all the secondary characters and plot lines. It been about 15 years since I started reading this series.

I'm in my second read through the entire series (in a row). I'm loving the little details that I'm picking up the second time around. I'm just about finished with book 1 and am so impressed with how everything connects to something else. And how the inner monologues tell you more about the characters than you are able to pick up on the first read.

I never realized just how much guilt Eddard Stark walks around with until the second read-through. The nuance of this character is awesome. He's hiding a secret from his wife and his best friend (who also happens to be the king), and the weight of that secret causes him a lot of inner turmoil. Whenever he is in personal moments with either Catelyn or Robert, his mysterious promise to Lyanna is not far from his thoughts.

Can you imagine hiding from your best friend that your sister, who is his lifelong love interest, gave birth to a son of the prince he had slain, and you are now fostering as your own son? And you have to lie to your wife by telling her he's yours? (presuming that Jon is Lyanna and Rheagar's son, which I am a 100% subscriber to).

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Spoiler: (– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

) Can somebody give me some 411 on these guys. Thanks!

TheReverend
06-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Can somebody give me some 411 on these guys. Thanks!

Not sure what you're asking for...?

El Guapo
06-12-2012, 09:29 PM
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

or

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

Taco John
06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

or

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

Never, ever, ever go to these sites unless you want to rob all the mystery out of the story. There are important events that happen all the way to the last chapters of the book, and visiting these sites is a sure way to have these events spoiled.

I learned the hard way with the murder of Jon Snow.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Not sure what you're asking for...?

These characters will be showing up in season 3 of the tv series. I want to know how they relate to the characters we know now as it relates to the tv series.

myMind
06-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I never realized just how much guilt Eddard Stark walks around with until the second read-through. The nuance of this character is awesome. He's hiding a secret from his wife and his best friend (who also happens to be the king), and the weight of that secret causes him a lot of inner turmoil. Whenever he is in personal moments with either Catelyn or Robert, his mysterious promise to Lyanna is not far from his thoughts.

Can you imagine hiding from your best friend that your sister, who is his lifelong love interest, gave birth to a son of the prince he had slain, and you are now fostering as your own son? And you have to lie to your wife by telling her he's yours? (presuming that Jon is Lyanna and Rheagar's son, which I am a 100% subscriber to).

Abso****inglutely...GrrMs combination of logos and Pathos is phenominal.
Now get used to waiting. ;)

myMind
06-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Spoiler: (– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

The info is that they are all currently being cast for next season.
Read the books if you want to know who they are and why it matters.

Daario = Danny

Jojen = Bran

Edmure = Rob + Catlyn

Brynden (Blackfish) = Rob + Catlyn

Shireen = Stannis

Selyse = Stannis (duh)

Queen of Thorns = Kings Landing

Lightning Knight = Arya (hopefully)

Thoros = Arya (see above)

Tormund(one of my faves) = Jon Snow

Fedaykin
06-12-2012, 10:17 PM
see the >>'s in the spoilered/quoted text below. Basic info (including spoilerish material, but fairly clean) for the ones that didn't already have enough.

Spoiler: (

>> Leader of a mercenary army. Plays a significant part in Dany's storyline through B5.

>> Protectors/teachers of Bran after they flee Winterfell (should have been in season 2 if they stuck 100% to the books).

>> Takes Sansa "under her wing" to an extent. Is my favorite non main character, particularly for her personality and actions =) You'll understand after S3.

>> He's the leader of the group of men sent by Eddard to arrest Gregor Clegane in S1. Currently this group is an outlaw group that we see Tywin order hunted down in S2 while he's at Harrenhall. The group has a small but very significant part (which crosses paths with a couple major characters in, interesting, ways) to play in B3 and B4.

>> Part of Beric Dondarrion's outlaws.

>> One of Mance Raynor's "right hand men"

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 10:36 PM
see the >>'s in the spoilered/quoted text below. Basic info (including spoilerish material, but fairly clean) for the ones that didn't already have enough.

REP!!!

v2micca
06-13-2012, 06:04 AM
I really wish people would quit whining this isn't exactly like the books. It's primary goal is to be a good TV series. They are going to shuffle things around to save set money and make the script work for the small screen. That means you won't see 10000 Dothraki every episode, and they won't show the hot springs pumping through the walls of Winterfell castle. Just enjoy the series and be patient.

Yes, the primary goal is to adapt the Novels into the Best TV series possible. And I maintain that while streamlining characters and events is entirely necessary, the large scale alterations in season 2 served to noticeably weaken the narrative and have not been in the interest of making the best TV possible.

For instance, Arya becoming Tywin's cup bearer. This change created two logical breaks that did not exist in the novels. Why did Arya not use one of her three deaths on Tywin, and why was Tywin simply sitting around at Harrenhaal while Rob was raiding his lands?

Martin's original Narrative for Arya in book two was stronger and made more sense than what Benioff and Weiss gave us in season 2. Additionally, the show's changes to the Harenhaal plot will need to be addressed again in season 3 to logistically allow for future scenes to occur.

With Martin's glacial work pace, we are probably already looking at Benioff and Weiss just writing the last couple of season on their own. Given the current quality of their work when they depart from Martin's written word, I can't say they are inspiring a lot of faith in me.

El Guapo
06-13-2012, 06:39 AM
Never, ever, ever go to these sites unless you want to rob all the mystery out of the story. There are important events that happen all the way to the last chapters of the book, and visiting these sites is a sure way to have these events spoiled.

I learned the hard way with the murder of Jon Snow.

I was quoting to say that I should have included this disclaimer when I read your spoiler in the quote. Well ****. I didn't know that and that sucks. Guess I need to stay out of this thread all together. ROFL!

JLesSPE
06-13-2012, 06:50 AM
I was quoting to say that I should have included this disclaimer when I read your spoiler in the quote. Well ****. I didn't know that and that sucks. Guess I need to stay out of this thread all together. ROFL!

This has to do with TJ's spoiler, so beware.

To be fair it's not correct to say "murder" just yet. It isn't known whether he survived or not

El Guapo
06-13-2012, 06:51 AM
I'm not reading it, sorry.

JLesSPE
06-13-2012, 07:18 AM
I'm not reading it, sorry.

That's cool, that's why I put a disclaimer on it.

Boobs McGee
06-13-2012, 07:41 AM
HELL YES!!!! **** YOU JOFFREY! LITTLE ****ING SNAKE!!!!! Ok, this is by far one of the most addictive books I've ever read. I hope they make about three seasons out of it. Chris was right...the deaths, the sweet sweet deaths! Just one crazy chapter after another.

Starting to feel sad for Sansa. Even though she seemed insolent and petty at first, you can't help but hope that SOMEONE comes to her rescue in the near future. Lysa seems like a crazy woman, and at this point I'd just hope that Highgarden somehow whisps her away in the future. Did not see Stannis coming to the aid of the Wall...CRAZY!

Taco, I'm right there with ya. Jamie Lanister is fast becoming one of my favorite characters...now that we know the truth of Aerys' treachery, Jamie is rectified (to some degree).

Poor, poor Tyrion. That little imp just can't catch a break :(

Can't wait to get home and finish this book!!!

v2micca
06-13-2012, 07:57 AM
HELL YES!!!! **** YOU JOFFREY! LITTLE ****ING SNAKE!!!!! Ok, this is by far one of the most addictive books I've ever read. I hope they make about three seasons out of it. Chris was right...the deaths, the sweet sweet deaths! Just one crazy chapter after another.

Starting to feel sad for Sansa. Even though she seemed insolent and petty at first, you can't help but hope that SOMEONE comes to her rescue in the near future. Lysa seems like a crazy woman, and at this point I'd just hope that Highgarden somehow whisps her away in the future. Did not see Stannis coming to the aid of the Wall...CRAZY!

Taco, I'm right there with ya. Jamie Lanister is fast becoming one of my favorite characters...now that we know the truth of Aerys' treachery, Jamie is rectified (to some degree).

Poor, poor Tyrion. That little imp just can't catch a break :(

Can't wait to get home and finish this book!!!

I was watching the first season with my sister who was incensed over Sansa's actions in the second episode. (lying about the incident with Joffrey and the Butcher's boy) I remember telling her that Sansa would pay for her sins with interest.

Boobs McGee
06-13-2012, 08:13 AM
I was watching the first season with my sister who was incensed over Sansa's actions in the second episode. (lying about the incident with Joffrey and the Butcher's boy) I remember telling her that Sansa would pay for her sins with interest.

I thought the saaaaaame thing. Now, I can't help but think how incredibly dimwitted she was, and just excited at the prospect of being a queen....adolescence and all that jazz.

PS your avatar looks very direwolf-esque (or how I'd originally pictured them anyway haha)

Taco John
06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Why did Arya not use one of her three deaths on Tywin, and why was Tywin simply sitting around at Harrenhaal while Rob was raiding his lands?

For the same reason she didn't in the books. She's a young girl who is attacking people being mean to her, not being militarily strategic. It's a huge part of her character through the whole book. She does things without thinking through her actions and their consequences.

v2micca
06-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I thought the saaaaaame thing. Now, I can't help but think how incredibly dimwitted she was, and just excited at the prospect of being a queen....adolescence and all that jazz.

PS your avatar looks very direwolf-esque (or how I'd originally pictured them anyway haha)

Thanks. He's a bit bigger now than when I took the photo. But, he's still a goober. About the only thing that has to live in mortal fear of him is an untended package of provolone.

v2micca
06-13-2012, 09:12 AM
For the same reason she didn't in the books. She's a young girl who is attacking people being mean to her, not being militarily strategic. It's a huge part of her character through the whole book. She does things without thinking through her actions and their consequences.

And that point is driven home much more clearly in the books than it is in the TV series. In the books we understand while it would have made far more sense for her to use one of her 'deaths' on Gregor Clegane, she instead uses it on one if his cronies who brags about his participation in the gang rape of a young bar maid. Martin is careful to only give her fleeting glimpses of Tywin and his banner men before they return to the field of battle.

The show has her constantly playing with a knife and wrestling with her own internal desire to take Tywin's life herself, haulted largely due to timing and her confidence in her ability to successfully complete the dead. So, it makes even less since that when provided the ultimate opportunity to accomplish the task, she doesn't once consider it.

Plus, Tywin's entire extended sojourn in Harenhaal doesn't entirely make sense while Rob is largely running unchecked through his own lands. In the book he immediately returns to the field of battle in Pursuit of Robb's hosts only to be turned back by Edmure Tully's forces long enough for him to hear of Stannis marshalling his own forces and attacking Kings Landing. Now, a lot of that obviously would need to be streamlined. But it would have made much more sense for Tywin to have been out and about with the writers throwing out occasional references to him hitting pockets of resistance instead of just sitting in Harenhaal exchanging witty banter with some peasant girl he randomly plucked out of a crowd of prisoners and apparently trusts to handle his food and drink. (yeah, huge logical problems with this act as well. Robert used Lancel Laninster as his Cup bearer and Tywin is willing to slum it with an unknown peasant girl?)

And why did we get this massive change? Because the show runners fell in love with the chemistry between Charles Dance and Maisie Williams. So, they let their love of a few scenes and clever dialog override story structure. That's a freshman film school mistake.

TheReverend
06-13-2012, 09:31 AM

...hmmm... she succeeded on overthrowing the most impenetrable fortress in Westeros, so I'm gonna have to disagree...

v2micca
06-13-2012, 09:35 AM
...hmmm... she succeeded on overthrowing the most impenetrable fortress in Westeros, so I'm gonna have to disagree...

Which technically didn't happen in the TV show. Another glaring change. I'm assuming at some point next season the writers will do some triage to address that point.

TheReverend
06-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Which technically didn't happen in the TV show. Another glaring change. I'm assuming at some point next season the writers will do some triage to address that point.

He wasn't talking about the show though.

Weasel soup up in this bitch.

Jerry Curl
06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Arya and Tywin's scenes were awesome imo. But I still haven't read much of the books

BroncsRule
06-13-2012, 03:56 PM
The main problem with Arya is that the actress is 3-4 years older than the character in the book (as is the case with all the Stark children). This complicates how the character interacts with others - it just wouldn't work to have Maisie Williams with a nickname of "squab", or "weasel", as in the books. She has far too much presence for that. So they had to figure out something else to do with her. And the fans of the book are not going to like "going off Cannon".

Her age and apparent clarity of thought (in the HBO series) also create logical anomalies when she "stays on script" - making illogical decisions only an 8 year old would make.

We're just going to have to learn to deal with it - as the actress isn't likely to stop growing any time soon. It's possible that character arc may differ wildly from the source material by the end of season 4. Frankly, I don't see how it could not.

TheReverend
06-13-2012, 04:32 PM
The main problem with Arya is that the actress is 3-4 years older than the character in the book (as is the case with all the Stark children). This complicates how the character interacts with others - it just wouldn't work to have Maisie Williams with a nickname of "squab", or "weasel", as in the books. She has far too much presence for that. So they had to figure out something else to do with her. And the fans of the book are not going to like "going off Cannon".

Her age and apparent clarity of thought (in the HBO series) also create logical anomalies when she "stays on script" - making illogical decisions only an 8 year old would make.

We're just going to have to learn to deal with it - as the actress isn't likely to stop growing any time soon. It's possible that character arc may differ wildly from the source material by the end of season 4. Frankly, I don't see how it could not.

Martin's said the kid's ages were a mistake because he planned on having a multi-year gap between SoS and aFfC, but in the end, he couldn't pull it off.

So according to the creator himself, the kid's ages are off in the book, and not in the tv show.

BroncsRule
06-13-2012, 05:05 PM
Martin's said the kid's ages were a mistake because he planned on having a multi-year gap between SoS and aFfC, but in the end, he couldn't pull it off.

So according to the creator himself, the kid's ages are off in the book, and not in the tv show.

OK - that's great and all, but in the first 2 (and most of 3) books he still wrote the characters, Arya in particular, as younger.

He changed his mind later. Great. Doesn't retroactively change how he crafted them in the first place. With Rob & Jon, it actually helps - as some of the stuff they pulled off in the books is hard to belive from a couple of teenagers (from a leadership perspective).

but Arya, in the books, is a pre-pubescent girl. Maisie Williams - is not.

TheReverend
06-13-2012, 06:02 PM
OK - that's great and all, but in the first 2 (and most of 3) books he still wrote the characters, Arya in particular, as younger.

He changed his mind later. Great. Doesn't retroactively change how he crafted them in the first place. With Rob & Jon, it actually helps - as some of the stuff they pulled off in the books is hard to belive from a couple of teenagers (from a leadership perspective).

but Arya, in the books, is a pre-pubescent girl. Maisie Williams - is not.

Name one example where the actress playing her being 14 (11 when she was cast) has conflicted with the story.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I need some help here: Spoiler( In the TV series The "dog" says to Sensa basically "I'll be the only one standing between the kings swords and you." Then in the season finale then the "dog" offers to take Sensa away and she declines. Is there something in the books that talks more about this? )If there is a post earlier about this just refer me to it thanks.

Taco John
06-13-2012, 09:31 PM
I need some help here: Spoiler( In the TV series The "dog" says to Sensa basically "I'll be the only one standing between the kings swords and you." Then in the season finale then the "dog" offers to take Sensa away and she declines. Is there something in the books that talks more about this? )If there is a post earlier about this just refer me to it thanks.

Yes.

In the books, she already has an escape plan with someone she trusts much more than The Hound.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Yes.

In the books, she already has an escape plan with someone she trusts much more than The Hound.

Ok. Spoiler(The final scene Sensa is smiling because the sister to the knight of flowers wants and gets to marry King Joffery. Is it because she thinks she gets to go home or because she has a scheme cooking?)

Boobs McGee
06-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Good lord I now fully understand why everyone rails on book four. Im just starting it now, but it cant hope to be anywhere CLOSE to three. I'm still in awe and disbelief of everything that just transpired in the last thousand pages. if what everyone says is true, the next thousand is going to feel like watching griese falter and TD tear an acl after 97/98 incredibleness. :(

Im still trying to wrap my head around the epilogue of 3 with donderrion, the riders, and the "hooded woman". Wtf!?!?!!!

Oh, and another thing...glancing through the table of contents...where are all of the characters????

Baba Booey
06-13-2012, 11:34 PM
A man cannot wait for season three to air. A man is going to read the books in the meantime.

El Guapo
06-14-2012, 05:54 AM
Good lord I now fully understand why everyone rails on book four. Im just starting it now, but it cant hope to be anywhere CLOSE to three. I'm still in awe and disbelief of everything that just transpired in the last thousand pages. if what everyone says is true, the next thousand is going to feel like watching griese falter and TD tear an acl after 97/98 incredibleness. :(

Im still trying to wrap my head around the epilogue of 3 with donderrion, the riders, and the "hooded woman". Wtf!?!?!!!

Oh, and another thing...glancing through the table of contents...where are all of the characters????

Book 3 took me two weeks of casual reading to finish. Book 4 took me a month because of all of the yawns. ^5

JLesSPE
06-14-2012, 06:11 AM

Originally book 4 and 5 were to be one book. I read an interview with GRRM and he said he got through half the story and it was 1000 pages so he split it up. All the characters you don't see in book 4 are in book 5 a great deal. Book 4 and half of book 5 take place during the same time period and it all comes back together at the end of 5.

supermanhr9
06-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Originally book 4 and 5 were to be one book. I read an interview with GRRM and he said he got through half the story and it was 1000 pages so he split it up. All the characters you don't see in book 4 are in book 5 a great deal. Book 4 and half of book 5 take place during the same time period and it all comes back together at the end of 5.

UNTIL THE END OF BOOK 5 LEAVES YOU GOING ??????????????????????

Book 6 needs to come out because this series went to the crapper in my opinion leaving so many open story lines!

JLesSPE
06-14-2012, 06:27 AM
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-<wbr>thrones/inside/interviews/<wbr>george-r-r-martin?autoplay=<wbr>true&cmpid=ABC587 (http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/inside/interviews/george-r-r-martin?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC587)

Doesn't sound like it's very close

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 07:08 AM
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-<wbr>thrones/inside/interviews/<wbr>george-r-r-martin?autoplay=<wbr>true&cmpid=ABC587 (http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/inside/interviews/george-r-r-martin?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC587)

He's definitely got pressure to finish now, though. Before he was just like "whatev." Refering to the series as "a locamotive bearing down on me" suggests more urgency than he usually has when he's busy blogging about the Jets.

Natedogg
06-14-2012, 07:50 AM
http://io9.com/5918114/george-w-bushs-decapitated-head-appeared-on-game-of-thrones lol. One of the heads on a pike is George W Bush's.

Natedogg
06-14-2012, 07:52 AM
And here he is discussing splitting up book 4 and 5. He jokes that we can mesh them together if we want. I'm surprised no one on the net has done that yet. I would have much rather read that monstrosity. I hope he never splits his books again.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/done.html

TheReverend
06-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Ok. Spoiler(The final scene Sensa is smiling because the sister to the knight of flowers wants and gets to marry King Joffery. Is it because she thinks she gets to go home or because she has a scheme cooking?)

...its because she doesn't have to marry that cawksucker...

TheReverend
06-14-2012, 10:20 AM
He's definitely got pressure to finish now, though. Before he was just like "whatev." Refering to the series as "a locamotive bearing down on me" suggests more urgency than he usually has when he's busy blogging about the Jets.

Let's cut him some slack. Sometimes writing incessantly about football for no end result takes priority over creation.

:)

Fedaykin
06-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Ahh, Lady Stoneheart

Fedaykin
06-14-2012, 11:28 AM

She's happy because she will no longer be wed to a psychopath who has abused her physically, sexually, mentally and emotionally for months.

Seems reason enough to me. =)

El Guapo
06-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Have you guys seen this? Now, I know real life politics does not belong in this thread, but it doesn't belong in Game of Thrones either.

HBO apologizes for putting George W. Bush's head on stake in 'Game of Thrones'

http://wttg.images.worldnow.com/images/18789169_BG1.jpg

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/18789169/hbo-apologizes-for-putting-george-w-bushs-head-on-stake-in-game-of-thrones

"It's not a choice, not a political statement!" one of the writers insisted during the DVD commentary. "We just had to use what heads we had around."

Bull****. ::)

If I weren't such a fan of the books/show I would stop watching. This really disgusts me.

cutthemdown
06-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Have you guys seen this? Now, I know real life politics does not belong in this thread, but it doesn't belong in Game of Thrones either.

Ludicrous. If I weren't such a fan of the books/show I would stop watching. This really disgusts me though.

That is really funny though.

El Guapo
06-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Yeah, hilarious. If it were obama the media (and this place) would be a zoo.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 12:19 PM

You can cut it both ways. When you work in a prop department you're looking to save money. You could argue all the heads on the pikes were good men killed by a wicked little bastard. In that sense it suggests he was one of the good guys.

But yes, if Obama's head was up there, there would be a firestorm.

lolcopter
06-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Bull****. ::)

If I weren't such a fan of the books/show I would stop watching. This really disgusts me.

Y u mad tho

IHaveALight
06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
You could argue all the heads on the pikes were good men killed by a wicked little bastard. In that sense it suggests he was one of the good guys.

LOL Yeah that was the intent.

underrated29
06-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Who cares... It could have been Michael Jacksons head or Lady Di. It does not matter. It means nothing. Its a head. It is a prop. Unless you all look specifically at each face as it tells a major part of the book or series, then Id say lets not be so uptight. It changes nothing in your world or the show.

IHaveALight
06-14-2012, 01:45 PM
/fun

StugotsIII
06-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Who cares... It could have been Michael Jacksons head or Lady Di. It does not matter. It means nothing. Its a head. It is a prop. Unless you all look specifically at each face as it tells a major part of the book or series, then Id say lets not be so uptight. It changes nothing in your world or the show.

It's no big deal....just some dip-**** making a political statement.

Anyone that thinks this wasn't a political statement is on shrooms.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 02:11 PM
LOL Yeah that was the intent.

It was a tongue in cheek response. My point is they were grabbing props and that was it. It wasn't a political statement one way or the other.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 02:12 PM
It's no big deal....just some dip-**** making a political statement.

Anyone that thinks this wasn't a political statement is on shrooms.

It wasn't a political statement.

s0phr0syne
06-14-2012, 02:50 PM
It was stupid to use in the first place because people on both sides of the aisle go retarded over stuff like this, even though it's really pointless.

But, the true DUMB factor comes into play with the producers talking about it in the commentary on the DVD. Without that, no one notices or cares.

StugotsIII
06-14-2012, 02:51 PM
It wasn't a political statement.

You really don't think they had another head laying around?

Come on...

Boobs McGee
06-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Ahh, Lady Stoneheart

I STILL haven't quite figured out how that priest keeps bringing donderion back to life, but I'm "assuming" it has something to do with the Lord of Light? And since they were all pro Stark at some point, that's why they brough Catelyn back? Is this going to be explained in books four and five? Cause if so, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME!!!!

Smiling Assassin27
06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
It's Bush's fault. He shouldn't have had his head languishing in the props inventory. I'm curious what show that head was originally used in that it'd be lying around as a prop, American Skull F***?

cutthemdown
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
You can cut it both ways. When you work in a prop department you're looking to save money. You could argue all the heads on the pikes were good men killed by a wicked little bastard. In that sense it suggests he was one of the good guys.

But yes, if Obama's head was up there, there would be a firestorm.

You can bet on that. I think it's funny though and I love the show. HBO can be edgy with their humor. This was no accident though. Directors have a long history of adding little things in the background of films. It's like a pop culture thing for people into the show to find and talk about.

They should just wait until later in the show and make one of the white walkers look like Obama.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-14-2012, 04:04 PM

elsid13
06-14-2012, 04:46 PM

That is the reason that I hate Martin. He has given up on the series and is only doing it because he has to vs. because he wants.

myMind
06-14-2012, 08:43 PM
But, the true DUMB factor comes into play with the producers talking about it in the commentary on the DVD. Without that, no one notices or cares.

This^

Adding this commentary on purpose made it a political statement.
A stupid one. I didn't vote for or like Bush, but pointing this trivial info out is pure duuuuur.

Taco John
06-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Got a point there...

myMind
06-14-2012, 11:31 PM
(and this place) would be a zoo.

Wait...this isn't a zoo?

myMind
06-14-2012, 11:48 PM

Obviously not a book reader.
pffft.
Still kinda funny.

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Question about book 5, apologies in advance for the spelling:

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through book five, and I'm a little confused on the whole prince Aegon thing. So did Rhager's kids (who were allegdly slaughtered by the Mountain, right?) BOTH survive? It's getting to the point where I'm really confused on which characters are which. Isn't Aegon, the kid who Tyrion saved from the stone men on the barge, a cousin of Daenerys? I guess I just need a little clarification on exactly who he is, who his protectors on the boat are, and his relationship to the Dragon Queen. AND, his relationship to the Dragon Prince that Robert Baratheon killed. And for ****s sake he better get crackin on the last book, because I'm gonna want some finality!!!!!!!

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 03:57 PM
oh, and -

WHY THE **** HASNT SHE UNLEASHED HER DRAGONS YET???? They sound MASSIVE right now, so you'd think it'd be prudent to try and get a handle on the two in captivity. Sounds like she's not going to be able to control them after a certain point?

peacepipe
07-03-2012, 04:38 PM
anyone have any insight on when book 6 is to come out?

Taco John
07-03-2012, 05:18 PM
anyone have any insight on when book 6 is to come out?

Last I read, GRRM is about 250 pages in and it's expected to be a 1500 page book.

From the Wiki:

Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500 manuscript pages each. With 200 finished pages by March 2012, Martin hopes to finish The Winds of Winter much faster than the fifth book. Martin has angered fans in the past for repeatedly estimating his publication dates too optimistically and therefore he has refrained from making hard estimates for The Winds of Winter's release date. A realistic estimation for finishing The Winds of Winter might be three years for him at a good pace, but ultimately the book "will be done when it's done". Martin does not intend to separate the characters geographically again but acknowledged that "Three years from [2011] when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winds_of_Winter

Jay3
07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
oh, and -

WHY THE **** HASNT SHE UNLEASHED HER DRAGONS YET???? They sound MASSIVE right now, so you'd think it'd be prudent to try and get a handle on the two in captivity. Sounds like she's not going to be able to control them after a certain point?

It's almost like . . .

one or more persons are going to have to warg into one of them to control them.

peacepipe
07-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Last I read, GRRM is about 250 pages in and it's expected to be a 1500 page book.

From the Wiki:

Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500 manuscript pages each. With 200 finished pages by March 2012, Martin hopes to finish The Winds of Winter much faster than the fifth book. Martin has angered fans in the past for repeatedly estimating his publication dates too optimistically and therefore he has refrained from making hard estimates for The Winds of Winter's release date. A realistic estimation for finishing The Winds of Winter might be three years for him at a good pace, but ultimately the book "will be done when it's done". Martin does not intend to separate the characters geographically again but acknowledged that "Three years from [2011] when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winds_of_Winter

not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks. figured with the series on hbo,it might come out soon.

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
It's almost like . . .

one or more persons are going to have to warg into one of them to control them.

Duuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!
didnt even think of that!!! Maybe this is gonna be how Bran flies!!!

Jay3
07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!
didnt even think of that!!! Maybe this is gonna be how Bran flies!!!

Yep. That's the speculation. (No inside knowledge or anything).

Taco John
07-03-2012, 07:10 PM
not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks. figured with the series on hbo,it might come out soon.

This might help:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j7lp3RhzfgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 07:12 PM
Yep. That's the speculation. (No inside knowledge or anything).

wow that would be epic!

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
This might help:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j7lp3RhzfgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hilarious!

****ing. AWESOME.

El Guapo
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H-oZ4Bug_zA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myMind
07-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Question about book 5, apologies in advance for the spelling:

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through book five, and I'm a little confused on the whole prince Aegon thing. So did Rhager's kids (who were allegdly slaughtered by the Mountain, right?) BOTH survive? It's getting to the point where I'm really confused on which characters are which. Isn't Aegon, the kid who Tyrion saved from the stone men on the barge, a cousin of Daenerys? I guess I just need a little clarification on exactly who he is, who his protectors on the boat are, and his relationship to the Dragon Queen. AND, his relationship to the Dragon Prince that Robert Baratheon killed. And for ****s sake he better get crackin on the last book, because I'm gonna want some finality!!!!!!!

The Dragon Queen is Dany obviously. The Dragon Prince killed by Robert was named Rhaegar, he and Dany were brother and sister. Aegon is Rhaegar's son and therefore Danys nephew. Not going to go into any spoilers as you havent finished reading. When you're done come back and Im sure we all can answer anything you may still be confused about. :thumbsup: