PDA

View Full Version : OT: Game of Thrones Major Spoiler Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

v2micca
06-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Btw, little noticed thing about Oberyn and Tywin (don't read spoiler unless you've read book 3)

Oberyn poisoned Tywin and he was going to die whether Tyrion shot him or not

"Where will I find my lord father?”
“In the solar with Lord Tyrell and Prince Oberyn.”

“Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.”

“Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever.”

The King’s Hand was rotting visibly. His face had taken on a greenish tinge, and his eyes were deeply sunken, two black pits. Fissures had opened in his cheeks, and a foul white fluid was seeping through the joints of his splendid gold-and-crimson armor to pool beneath his body.

...and of course the smell.

Dude, I completely missed that on my first read through. Awesome.

No wonder Tywin was in the crapper and appeared to be visibly struggling when Tyrian popped and arrow in his @ss.

Seriously, that is one thing that I truly regret losing in the TV adaptation. All the subtlety is gone. In the books you have to pay attention to realize how savvy and ambitious Margery Tyrel is. In the show, they kind of smack you over the head with it. I understand that they have to play to the cheap seats, but I really wish they would do more to reward those who are watching carefully.

Kaylore
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Started watching season 1 again. Pretty cool seeing the interactions between characters like Jon snow and tyrion, lord stark and Jaime lannister, Joffrey and arya, etc etc

I still think Cercei is poorly played. She seems so lethargic and depressed. Cercei reads like an angry spitfire who flies off the handle. Lena Headey plays her depressed and drab.

Fedaykin
06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I still think Cercei is poorly played. She seems so lethargic and depressed. Cercei reads like an angry spitfire who flies off the handle. Lena Headey plays her depressed and drab.

Well, in the books you get to hear her inner monologue.

El Guapo
06-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Dude, I completely missed that on my first read through. Awesome.

No wonder Tywin was in the crapper and appeared to be visibly struggling when Tyrian popped and arrow in his @ss.

he gets shot just above his junk, but yeah, I understand. I guess I completely missed that part of the book as well. Thanks for posting OG poster.

Archer81
06-07-2012, 01:30 PM
I am looking forward to season 3. The deaths, oh the glorious deaths...

:Broncos:

supermanhr9
06-07-2012, 01:38 PM
I am looking forward to season 3. The deaths, oh the glorious deaths...

NO kidding. I feel bad for people who haven't read the books... they have no idea what they are in for in season 3. They will do it GRAVE injustice unless they make it at least 12 epeisodes long. So much happens in book 3. So much awesomeness.

I hated book 4, so looking forward to how they handle that. My guess it will more enjoyable watching book 4 than reading it. They'll "HBO" it up a bit.

More boobies!

Archer81
06-07-2012, 01:41 PM
NO kidding. I feel bad for people who haven't read the books... they have no idea what they are in for in season 3. They will do it GRAVE injustice unless they make it at least 12 epeisodes long. So much happens in book 3. So much awesomeness.

I hated book 4, so looking forward to how they handle that. My guess it will more enjoyable watching book 4 than reading it. They'll "HBO" it up a bit.

More boobies!

There is one death in particular I can't wait to see. And when it happens I will shed tears of happiness.

More boobies, more wang or GTFO.

Fedaykin
06-07-2012, 02:58 PM

More boobies!

I hope the plan is still to do two seasons (20eps) for book 3. It's easily the best book, and had so much happen it would be a travesty to try doing it in only 10 eps.

lolcopter
06-07-2012, 03:04 PM
I hope the plan is still to do two seasons (20eps) for book 3. It's easily the best book, and had so much happen it would be a travesty to try doing it in only 10 eps.

I don't know the episode count, but they are supposedly splitting up the 3rd season

Kaylore
06-07-2012, 03:13 PM
I don't know the episode count, but they are supposedly splitting up the 3rd season

Good. Do it right.

JLesSPE
06-07-2012, 03:17 PM

I hope its more like season 3A and 3B with a short break in between the two. I remember Entourage doing that at least once.

Archer81
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I wonder what they might use as the split up point to create a big "WTF" end of season moment...

It will involve food, I'm sure. Just spitballing here, of course.

JLesSPE
06-07-2012, 04:07 PM
I wonder what they might use as the split up point to create a big "WTF" end of season moment...

Not sure, there really aren't any big moments to choose from...

JLesSPE
06-07-2012, 04:18 PM
If I HAD to guess, I'd say they go with when Cersei ****s the Hound so he'll stay to protect Joffrey but more likely they'll use Melisandre killing Stannis.

Another good breaking point would be when Jon becomes the leader of the white walkers and randomly declares war on Pentos.

underrated29
06-07-2012, 04:59 PM
It will be red I am sure. But.....SPOILERS:...I doubt they use the part where John becomes the WW leader. I think more and more it would be pertinent to where Khaleesi does the nasty with her dragon- although I am not sure they will show it, but they did show other nudity so you never know- and see the birth of the human dragon thing (drakgano)-.......SPOILER END)- I think part is a little more pivital and would leave people hanging on their seats for the second half.

El Guapo
06-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Use f'n spoiler tags people. That's what they're there for. (No, not for me. Just being considerate; amazing concept.)

lolcopter
06-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Yeah if those are real spoilers I hate you guys

underrated29
06-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Use f'n spoiler tags people. That's what they're there for. (No, not for me. Just being considerate; amazing concept.)

I have been
^5

Taco John
06-07-2012, 11:11 PM

There's only one thing it could possibly be ...

THE RED WEDDING

Taco John
06-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah if those are real spoilers I hate you guys

Is it really that big of a spoiler to learn that Tyrion trains Nymeria and rides her into battles against the Dornish?

Fedaykin
06-07-2012, 11:33 PM

THE RED WEDDING

That's a ...natural cut off point for the story in the Seven kingdoms, but what about at the wall and in the east?

Also, where does Joffrey's assassination fit in? Think they'll change the timeline a bit and push it back to the "climax" of the second part of the season?

myMind
06-07-2012, 11:41 PM

Huge spoiler

Joffrey's death would work to front the gap, more as a cathartic moment than a wtf one... then completely shake people up with the RW early in the fourth season. I would be happy with that. Danny aquiring the unsullied and meeting Selmy in S3, the rest in four. Sam and the NW rout at the FotFM + some John and Yrgritte's journey to the wall in S3, the rest in 4, oh wait...Bran has to meet the Reed's and Journey north, the Bastard of Bolton, not to mention Jaime Lannister and the BC, ****...I hope they can do it justice.

Btw, trolls are trolling on this page.

underrated29
06-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Huge spoiler]

Btw, trolls are trolling on this page.

Real spoiler below, do not read unless read book 3...

SPOILER -If they do it with Joff though then they would have a lot to fill in afterwards, the hearing for tryion and getting the viper to fight the mountain and such. I just think that would be to premature to end it with that. I could see it happening mid way through the season and then leaving it hanging where sansa is on the run....I forgot my timelines a bit here too, but when tyrion used his cross bow, was that near the end of 3 or middle? I was thinking it was middle and that would seem to be a more likely cause for the wtf? Joff is dead midway through, then at the break tryion offs his dad and then splits. Who knows. Spoiler end.....

Man I cant wait, but I love the idea, however unlikley that they would do season 3, which ends about his time of the year, and then finish season it up sometime in the fall. It wont happen but it would be great.

Taco John
06-08-2012, 12:32 PM
Btw, little noticed thing about Oberyn and Tywin (don't read spoiler unless you've read book 3)

Oberyn poisoned Tywin and he was going to die whether Tyrion shot him or not

"Where will I find my lord father?”
“In the solar with Lord Tyrell and Prince Oberyn.”

“Widow’s blood, this one is called, for the color. A cruel potion. It shuts down a man’s bladder and bowels, until he drowns in his own poisons.”

“Your father,” said Prince Oberyn, “may not live forever.”

The King’s Hand was rotting visibly. His face had taken on a greenish tinge, and his eyes were deeply sunken, two black pits. Fissures had opened in his cheeks, and a foul white fluid was seeping through the joints of his splendid gold-and-crimson armor to pool beneath his body.

...and of course the smell.

This blew my mind and answers a few questions that I had. This book is so well thought out and written, it's amazing to me. Just when you think there is a plot hole, or something doesn't make sense, you find something hidden (in plain sight) that explains it.

myMind
06-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Btw, Oberyn's the best character in the series by a large margin.

Tormund Giantsbane, Jon Snow, and Tryion Lannister say hi.

peacepipe
06-08-2012, 02:04 PM

THE RED WEDDING

it sure as hell was a WTF moment for me.

Fedaykin
06-08-2012, 02:21 PM
it sure as hell was a WTF moment for me.

It's an interesting commentary (to me) that House Stark, by all accounts the only truly good family in all of Westeros, was allied with the Boltons and the Freys when they are capable of such treachery.

Taco John
06-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Yup. Even seeing that Oberyn would even go near Mace Tyrell shows that something was up.

Btw, Oberyn's the best character in the series by a large margin.

Oberyn is badass, but I think my favorite character is Jamie Lannister - I love the complexity of him and how on the surface he looks like one thing, but underneath all the armor and bravado he's such a complex, but yet simple creature.

Too bad we weren't lucky enough to have gotten some Oberyn POV chapters. Biggest mistake GRRM ever made not doing that.

Natedogg
06-09-2012, 12:47 AM
Oberyn is badass, but I think my favorite character is Jamie Lannister - I love the complexity of him and how on the surface he looks like one thing, but underneath all the armor and bravado he's such a complex, but yet simple creature.

Too bad we weren't lucky enough to have gotten some Oberyn POV chapters. Biggest mistake GRRM ever made not doing that.

Possible we could still get something resembling that....

DivineLegion
06-09-2012, 09:02 AM
I finished all the books, and am re-reading A Game of Thrones right now. I've discovered something in the text that leads me to question whether Jon Snow is actually Ned's son.

Speculative In the book, Ned and Robert are talking about Tywinn Lannister's treachery in taking the Red Castle, and as an off comment, it mentions that Ned had been living a lie the last 14 years -

"Treachery is a coin that the Tragaryen's knew well," Robert said. The anger was building in him again. "Lannister payed them back in kind. It was no less than they deserved. I shall not trouble my sleep over it!"

"You were not there," Ned said, bitterness in his voice. Troubled sleep was no stranger to him. He had lived his lies for fourteen years yet they still haunted him at night. "There was no honor in that conquest."

Whatever lie Eddard has been living for fourteen years, it has to do with a certain 14 year old boy (Jon Snow). What else happened 14 years ago? The death of Lyanna. I suspect that Lyanna is the true mother of Jon Snow, making him a bastard of Raegar Tygaryen, not Eddard.

I'm almost done with GOT for the second time too, and I noticed this...

Jon sticks his arms in the burning curtains to kill the white walker in Lord Mormonts bed chamber, and gets pleasure from the flames

Nm, I should have read further. I forgot how bad his burns are.

v2micca
06-11-2012, 06:39 AM
Good. Do it right.

Ugh, please. Splitting one of the books into two seasons will not make it better, it will just add more bloat. And David Benioff and D.B. Wiess would not use the extra episodes to include more of the secondary characters and plot line from the books, but to introduce more of their own creations. Ironically, I think forcing them to keep the narrative tighter would also force them to stay closer to the source material.

Kaylore
06-11-2012, 07:33 AM
Ugh, please. Splitting one of the books into two seasons will not make it better, it will just add more bloat. And David Benioff and D.B. Wiess would not use the extra episodes to include more of the secondary characters and plot line from the books, but to introduce more of their own creations. Ironically, I think forcing them to keep the narrative tighter would also force them to stay closer to the source material.

I think their job is to make a good series. You just cannot "copy" a book that has things like a character's inner monologue as he experiences emotions and sees and experiences things that trigger memories, etc. This is why I never fault writers for endeavoring to make something a good Movie/show/whatever first and then trying hard to be as close to the source material as possible. Tyrion's inner insecurity adds a whole level to his character that makes him even more likable and that is harder to reveal in the series. It's still good, though.

I mean you want to complain Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings, that's fine. I don't expect my book-based media to be as good or even like books. That's why I read them.

v2micca
06-11-2012, 07:54 AM
I think their job is to make a good series. You just cannot "copy" a book that has things like a character's inner monologue as he experiences emotions and sees and experiences things that trigger memories, etc. This is why I never fault writers for endeavoring to make something a good Movie/show/whatever first and then trying hard to be as close to the source material as possible. Tyrion's inner insecurity adds a whole level to his character that makes him even more likable and that is harder to reveal in the series. It's still good, though.

I mean you want to complain Tom Bombadil wasn't in Lord of the Rings, that's fine. I don't expect my book-based media to be as good or even like books. That's why I read them.

Hey, I have no problem with scenes and characters being left or tweaked from the book in the translation to the Film. Like you said, some scenes just don't translate well to film or would kill the pacing of the film. I get that. I do have a problem with creating new material and inserting it into the story. Like I said, would rather see the Show Runners work with ten episodes and be forced to streamline more of the book and stay truer to the series, than add another 10 episodes were they decide to toss in more random dragon kidnapping or Varys teams with Ros to take the iron throne plot threads.

Boobs McGee
06-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Holy bawls.

**** YOU FREYS AND WALDERS!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooooou aaaaallllllll!!!!! Ishould've known that was too easy. poor stark family. I will say this..catelyn deserved to die imo. She was the cause of the majority of problems.
One quick question...can someone explain to me who John Snow 's mother wyllas is? Starfell? I'm not sure if I missed it, but what's the significance there?

Boobs McGee
06-12-2012, 01:45 PM
lol

His mother is most likely Lyanna Stark and his father Rhaegar

Ooooooooooh SHIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!

Im literally at the part where the hound and arya are outside the portcullis of the twins. Will the Raegar revelation bear itself later in this book? Also, does that mean that Dany and he are cousins!?!

underrated29
06-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Boobs- We dont know yet

Taco John
06-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Holy bawls.

**** YOU FREYS AND WALDERS!!!!! Fuuuuuuuuuun yoooooooooou aaaaallllllll!!!!! Ishould've known that was too easy. poor stark family. I will say this..catelyn deserved to die imo. She was the cause of the majority of problems.
One quick question...can someone explain to me who John Snow 's mother wyllas is? Starfell? I'm not sure if I missed it, but what's the significance there?

There are several conflicting stories about who Jon's mother is. The true story died with Ned, however there is one man who is presumed to have the full truth still alive: Howland Reed - Jojen and Meera's Reed's father. They may know the truth as well.

JLesSPE
06-12-2012, 01:52 PM
haha, I love the reaction

El Guapo
06-12-2012, 01:55 PM
There are several conflicting stories about who Jon's mother is. The true story died with Ned, however there is one man who is presumed to have the full truth still alive: Howland Reed - Jojen and Meera's Reed's father. They may know the truth as well.

too bad they're nowhere to be found on the tv series.

Boobs McGee
06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
WOW mind = blown. Thanks for the responses everyone. This has been the most fruitful three days of 101+ degree fevers and jury duty ever! I should be done with book 3 by tomorrow!

Kaylore
06-12-2012, 02:42 PM

This.

Fedaykin
06-12-2012, 04:03 PM

They will be in next season:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/29/game-of-throne-season-3-cast/

I can forgive the changes here, it would suck (for both actors and the production) to bring in important character actors for a couple minutes of screen time in one season and then not see them again until the next season.

Fedaykin
06-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Anyone else similarly impressed/amused by GRRM's character names?

I figure anyone that can pull off naming a semi-important character Whoresbane is badass =)

Taco John
06-12-2012, 05:27 PM

They are scheduled to enter the story in season 3.

elsid13
06-12-2012, 05:50 PM
It has been so long since I actually read the freaking books that I am missing out on all the secondary characters and plot lines. It been about 15 years since I started reading this series.

Kaylore
06-12-2012, 06:16 PM
I really wish people would quit whining this isn't exactly like the books. It's primary goal is to be a good TV series. They are going to shuffle things around to save set money and make the script work for the small screen. That means you won't see 10000 Dothraki every episode, and they won't show the hot springs pumping through the walls of Winterfell castle. Just enjoy the series and be patient.

Taco John
06-12-2012, 06:16 PM
It has been so long since I actually read the freaking books that I am missing out on all the secondary characters and plot lines. It been about 15 years since I started reading this series.

I'm in my second read through the entire series (in a row). I'm loving the little details that I'm picking up the second time around. I'm just about finished with book 1 and am so impressed with how everything connects to something else. And how the inner monologues tell you more about the characters than you are able to pick up on the first read.

I never realized just how much guilt Eddard Stark walks around with until the second read-through. The nuance of this character is awesome. He's hiding a secret from his wife and his best friend (who also happens to be the king), and the weight of that secret causes him a lot of inner turmoil. Whenever he is in personal moments with either Catelyn or Robert, his mysterious promise to Lyanna is not far from his thoughts.

Can you imagine hiding from your best friend that your sister, who is his lifelong love interest, gave birth to a son of the prince he had slain, and you are now fostering as your own son? And you have to lie to your wife by telling her he's yours? (presuming that Jon is Lyanna and Rheagar's son, which I am a 100% subscriber to).

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Spoiler: (– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Daario Naharis: A confident and seductive warrior.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

– Thoros of Myr: A red priest who follows the same religion as Melisandre.

– Tormund Giantsbane: A Wildling raider.

) Can somebody give me some 411 on these guys. Thanks!

El Guapo
06-12-2012, 10:29 PM
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

or

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

Taco John
06-12-2012, 10:57 PM
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page

or

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_Wiki

Never, ever, ever go to these sites unless you want to rob all the mystery out of the story. There are important events that happen all the way to the last chapters of the book, and visiting these sites is a sure way to have these events spoiled.

I learned the hard way with the murder of Jon Snow.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 11:00 PM
Not sure what you're asking for...?

These characters will be showing up in season 3 of the tv series. I want to know how they relate to the characters we know now as it relates to the tv series.

myMind
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
I never realized just how much guilt Eddard Stark walks around with until the second read-through. The nuance of this character is awesome. He's hiding a secret from his wife and his best friend (who also happens to be the king), and the weight of that secret causes him a lot of inner turmoil. Whenever he is in personal moments with either Catelyn or Robert, his mysterious promise to Lyanna is not far from his thoughts.

Can you imagine hiding from your best friend that your sister, who is his lifelong love interest, gave birth to a son of the prince he had slain, and you are now fostering as your own son? And you have to lie to your wife by telling her he's yours? (presuming that Jon is Lyanna and Rheagar's son, which I am a 100% subscriber to).

Abso****inglutely...GrrMs combination of logos and Pathos is phenominal.
Now get used to waiting. ;)

myMind
06-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Spoiler: (– Mance Rayder: We’ve heard about him all season. A former member of the Night’s Watch who became the “King Beyond the Wall,” the leader of the Wildlings.

– Jojen Reed; Meera Reed: A teenage brother and sister duo with special insights.

– Edmure Tully: A brash young member of the Tully family.

– Ser Brynden Tully (The Blackfish): Catelyn Stark’s uncle.

– Lady Selyse Florent: Stannis Baratheon’s wife.

– Shireen: Stannis’ daughter.

– Olenna Redwyne (The Queen of Thorns): Margaery Tyrell’s sharp-witted grandmother.

– Beric Dondarrion: A skilled knight who is the leader of the outlaw group Brotherhood Without Banners.

The info is that they are all currently being cast for next season.
Read the books if you want to know who they are and why it matters.

Daario = Danny

Jojen = Bran

Edmure = Rob + Catlyn

Brynden (Blackfish) = Rob + Catlyn

Shireen = Stannis

Selyse = Stannis (duh)

Queen of Thorns = Kings Landing

Lightning Knight = Arya (hopefully)

Thoros = Arya (see above)

Tormund(one of my faves) = Jon Snow

Fedaykin
06-12-2012, 11:17 PM
see the >>'s in the spoilered/quoted text below. Basic info (including spoilerish material, but fairly clean) for the ones that didn't already have enough.

Spoiler: (

>> Leader of a mercenary army. Plays a significant part in Dany's storyline through B5.

>> Protectors/teachers of Bran after they flee Winterfell (should have been in season 2 if they stuck 100% to the books).

>> Takes Sansa "under her wing" to an extent. Is my favorite non main character, particularly for her personality and actions =) You'll understand after S3.

>> He's the leader of the group of men sent by Eddard to arrest Gregor Clegane in S1. Currently this group is an outlaw group that we see Tywin order hunted down in S2 while he's at Harrenhall. The group has a small but very significant part (which crosses paths with a couple major characters in, interesting, ways) to play in B3 and B4.

>> Part of Beric Dondarrion's outlaws.

>> One of Mance Raynor's "right hand men"

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-12-2012, 11:36 PM
see the >>'s in the spoilered/quoted text below. Basic info (including spoilerish material, but fairly clean) for the ones that didn't already have enough.

REP!!!

v2micca
06-13-2012, 07:04 AM
I really wish people would quit whining this isn't exactly like the books. It's primary goal is to be a good TV series. They are going to shuffle things around to save set money and make the script work for the small screen. That means you won't see 10000 Dothraki every episode, and they won't show the hot springs pumping through the walls of Winterfell castle. Just enjoy the series and be patient.

Yes, the primary goal is to adapt the Novels into the Best TV series possible. And I maintain that while streamlining characters and events is entirely necessary, the large scale alterations in season 2 served to noticeably weaken the narrative and have not been in the interest of making the best TV possible.

For instance, Arya becoming Tywin's cup bearer. This change created two logical breaks that did not exist in the novels. Why did Arya not use one of her three deaths on Tywin, and why was Tywin simply sitting around at Harrenhaal while Rob was raiding his lands?

Martin's original Narrative for Arya in book two was stronger and made more sense than what Benioff and Weiss gave us in season 2. Additionally, the show's changes to the Harenhaal plot will need to be addressed again in season 3 to logistically allow for future scenes to occur.

With Martin's glacial work pace, we are probably already looking at Benioff and Weiss just writing the last couple of season on their own. Given the current quality of their work when they depart from Martin's written word, I can't say they are inspiring a lot of faith in me.

El Guapo
06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Never, ever, ever go to these sites unless you want to rob all the mystery out of the story. There are important events that happen all the way to the last chapters of the book, and visiting these sites is a sure way to have these events spoiled.

I learned the hard way with the murder of Jon Snow.

I was quoting to say that I should have included this disclaimer when I read your spoiler in the quote. Well ****. I didn't know that and that sucks. Guess I need to stay out of this thread all together. ROFL!

JLesSPE
06-13-2012, 07:50 AM
I was quoting to say that I should have included this disclaimer when I read your spoiler in the quote. Well ****. I didn't know that and that sucks. Guess I need to stay out of this thread all together. ROFL!

This has to do with TJ's spoiler, so beware.

To be fair it's not correct to say "murder" just yet. It isn't known whether he survived or not

El Guapo
06-13-2012, 07:51 AM
I'm not reading it, sorry.

JLesSPE
06-13-2012, 08:18 AM
I'm not reading it, sorry.

That's cool, that's why I put a disclaimer on it.

Boobs McGee
06-13-2012, 08:41 AM
HELL YES!!!! **** YOU JOFFREY! LITTLE ****ING SNAKE!!!!! Ok, this is by far one of the most addictive books I've ever read. I hope they make about three seasons out of it. Chris was right...the deaths, the sweet sweet deaths! Just one crazy chapter after another.

Starting to feel sad for Sansa. Even though she seemed insolent and petty at first, you can't help but hope that SOMEONE comes to her rescue in the near future. Lysa seems like a crazy woman, and at this point I'd just hope that Highgarden somehow whisps her away in the future. Did not see Stannis coming to the aid of the Wall...CRAZY!

Taco, I'm right there with ya. Jamie Lanister is fast becoming one of my favorite characters...now that we know the truth of Aerys' treachery, Jamie is rectified (to some degree).

Poor, poor Tyrion. That little imp just can't catch a break :(

Can't wait to get home and finish this book!!!

v2micca
06-13-2012, 08:57 AM
HELL YES!!!! **** YOU JOFFREY! LITTLE ****ING SNAKE!!!!! Ok, this is by far one of the most addictive books I've ever read. I hope they make about three seasons out of it. Chris was right...the deaths, the sweet sweet deaths! Just one crazy chapter after another.

Starting to feel sad for Sansa. Even though she seemed insolent and petty at first, you can't help but hope that SOMEONE comes to her rescue in the near future. Lysa seems like a crazy woman, and at this point I'd just hope that Highgarden somehow whisps her away in the future. Did not see Stannis coming to the aid of the Wall...CRAZY!

Taco, I'm right there with ya. Jamie Lanister is fast becoming one of my favorite characters...now that we know the truth of Aerys' treachery, Jamie is rectified (to some degree).

Poor, poor Tyrion. That little imp just can't catch a break :(

Can't wait to get home and finish this book!!!

I was watching the first season with my sister who was incensed over Sansa's actions in the second episode. (lying about the incident with Joffrey and the Butcher's boy) I remember telling her that Sansa would pay for her sins with interest.

Boobs McGee
06-13-2012, 09:13 AM
I was watching the first season with my sister who was incensed over Sansa's actions in the second episode. (lying about the incident with Joffrey and the Butcher's boy) I remember telling her that Sansa would pay for her sins with interest.

I thought the saaaaaame thing. Now, I can't help but think how incredibly dimwitted she was, and just excited at the prospect of being a queen....adolescence and all that jazz.

PS your avatar looks very direwolf-esque (or how I'd originally pictured them anyway haha)

Taco John
06-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Why did Arya not use one of her three deaths on Tywin, and why was Tywin simply sitting around at Harrenhaal while Rob was raiding his lands?

For the same reason she didn't in the books. She's a young girl who is attacking people being mean to her, not being militarily strategic. It's a huge part of her character through the whole book. She does things without thinking through her actions and their consequences.

v2micca
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
I thought the saaaaaame thing. Now, I can't help but think how incredibly dimwitted she was, and just excited at the prospect of being a queen....adolescence and all that jazz.

PS your avatar looks very direwolf-esque (or how I'd originally pictured them anyway haha)

Thanks. He's a bit bigger now than when I took the photo. But, he's still a goober. About the only thing that has to live in mortal fear of him is an untended package of provolone.

v2micca
06-13-2012, 10:12 AM
For the same reason she didn't in the books. She's a young girl who is attacking people being mean to her, not being militarily strategic. It's a huge part of her character through the whole book. She does things without thinking through her actions and their consequences.

And that point is driven home much more clearly in the books than it is in the TV series. In the books we understand while it would have made far more sense for her to use one of her 'deaths' on Gregor Clegane, she instead uses it on one if his cronies who brags about his participation in the gang rape of a young bar maid. Martin is careful to only give her fleeting glimpses of Tywin and his banner men before they return to the field of battle.

The show has her constantly playing with a knife and wrestling with her own internal desire to take Tywin's life herself, haulted largely due to timing and her confidence in her ability to successfully complete the dead. So, it makes even less since that when provided the ultimate opportunity to accomplish the task, she doesn't once consider it.

Plus, Tywin's entire extended sojourn in Harenhaal doesn't entirely make sense while Rob is largely running unchecked through his own lands. In the book he immediately returns to the field of battle in Pursuit of Robb's hosts only to be turned back by Edmure Tully's forces long enough for him to hear of Stannis marshalling his own forces and attacking Kings Landing. Now, a lot of that obviously would need to be streamlined. But it would have made much more sense for Tywin to have been out and about with the writers throwing out occasional references to him hitting pockets of resistance instead of just sitting in Harenhaal exchanging witty banter with some peasant girl he randomly plucked out of a crowd of prisoners and apparently trusts to handle his food and drink. (yeah, huge logical problems with this act as well. Robert used Lancel Laninster as his Cup bearer and Tywin is willing to slum it with an unknown peasant girl?)

And why did we get this massive change? Because the show runners fell in love with the chemistry between Charles Dance and Maisie Williams. So, they let their love of a few scenes and clever dialog override story structure. That's a freshman film school mistake.

v2micca
06-13-2012, 10:35 AM
...hmmm... she succeeded on overthrowing the most impenetrable fortress in Westeros, so I'm gonna have to disagree...

Which technically didn't happen in the TV show. Another glaring change. I'm assuming at some point next season the writers will do some triage to address that point.

Jerry Curl
06-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Arya and Tywin's scenes were awesome imo. But I still haven't read much of the books

BroncsRule
06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
The main problem with Arya is that the actress is 3-4 years older than the character in the book (as is the case with all the Stark children). This complicates how the character interacts with others - it just wouldn't work to have Maisie Williams with a nickname of "squab", or "weasel", as in the books. She has far too much presence for that. So they had to figure out something else to do with her. And the fans of the book are not going to like "going off Cannon".

Her age and apparent clarity of thought (in the HBO series) also create logical anomalies when she "stays on script" - making illogical decisions only an 8 year old would make.

We're just going to have to learn to deal with it - as the actress isn't likely to stop growing any time soon. It's possible that character arc may differ wildly from the source material by the end of season 4. Frankly, I don't see how it could not.

BroncsRule
06-13-2012, 06:05 PM
Martin's said the kid's ages were a mistake because he planned on having a multi-year gap between SoS and aFfC, but in the end, he couldn't pull it off.

So according to the creator himself, the kid's ages are off in the book, and not in the tv show.

OK - that's great and all, but in the first 2 (and most of 3) books he still wrote the characters, Arya in particular, as younger.

He changed his mind later. Great. Doesn't retroactively change how he crafted them in the first place. With Rob & Jon, it actually helps - as some of the stuff they pulled off in the books is hard to belive from a couple of teenagers (from a leadership perspective).

but Arya, in the books, is a pre-pubescent girl. Maisie Williams - is not.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I need some help here: Spoiler( In the TV series The "dog" says to Sensa basically "I'll be the only one standing between the kings swords and you." Then in the season finale then the "dog" offers to take Sensa away and she declines. Is there something in the books that talks more about this? )If there is a post earlier about this just refer me to it thanks.

Taco John
06-13-2012, 10:31 PM
I need some help here: Spoiler( In the TV series The "dog" says to Sensa basically "I'll be the only one standing between the kings swords and you." Then in the season finale then the "dog" offers to take Sensa away and she declines. Is there something in the books that talks more about this? )If there is a post earlier about this just refer me to it thanks.

Yes.

In the books, she already has an escape plan with someone she trusts much more than The Hound.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
06-13-2012, 11:01 PM
Yes.

In the books, she already has an escape plan with someone she trusts much more than The Hound.

Ok. Spoiler(The final scene Sensa is smiling because the sister to the knight of flowers wants and gets to marry King Joffery. Is it because she thinks she gets to go home or because she has a scheme cooking?)

Boobs McGee
06-14-2012, 12:32 AM
Good lord I now fully understand why everyone rails on book four. Im just starting it now, but it cant hope to be anywhere CLOSE to three. I'm still in awe and disbelief of everything that just transpired in the last thousand pages. if what everyone says is true, the next thousand is going to feel like watching griese falter and TD tear an acl after 97/98 incredibleness. :(

Im still trying to wrap my head around the epilogue of 3 with donderrion, the riders, and the "hooded woman". Wtf!?!?!!!

Oh, and another thing...glancing through the table of contents...where are all of the characters????

Baba Booey
06-14-2012, 12:34 AM
A man cannot wait for season three to air. A man is going to read the books in the meantime.

El Guapo
06-14-2012, 06:54 AM
Good lord I now fully understand why everyone rails on book four. Im just starting it now, but it cant hope to be anywhere CLOSE to three. I'm still in awe and disbelief of everything that just transpired in the last thousand pages. if what everyone says is true, the next thousand is going to feel like watching griese falter and TD tear an acl after 97/98 incredibleness. :(

Im still trying to wrap my head around the epilogue of 3 with donderrion, the riders, and the "hooded woman". Wtf!?!?!!!

Oh, and another thing...glancing through the table of contents...where are all of the characters????

Book 3 took me two weeks of casual reading to finish. Book 4 took me a month because of all of the yawns. ^5

JLesSPE
06-14-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally book 4 and 5 were to be one book. I read an interview with GRRM and he said he got through half the story and it was 1000 pages so he split it up. All the characters you don't see in book 4 are in book 5 a great deal. Book 4 and half of book 5 take place during the same time period and it all comes back together at the end of 5.

supermanhr9
06-14-2012, 07:19 AM
Originally book 4 and 5 were to be one book. I read an interview with GRRM and he said he got through half the story and it was 1000 pages so he split it up. All the characters you don't see in book 4 are in book 5 a great deal. Book 4 and half of book 5 take place during the same time period and it all comes back together at the end of 5.

UNTIL THE END OF BOOK 5 LEAVES YOU GOING ??????????????????????

Book 6 needs to come out because this series went to the crapper in my opinion leaving so many open story lines!

JLesSPE
06-14-2012, 07:27 AM
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-<wbr>thrones/inside/interviews/<wbr>george-r-r-martin?autoplay=<wbr>true&cmpid=ABC587 (http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/inside/interviews/george-r-r-martin?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC587)

Doesn't sound like it's very close

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 08:08 AM
http://www.hbo.com/game-of-<wbr>thrones/inside/interviews/<wbr>george-r-r-martin?autoplay=<wbr>true&cmpid=ABC587 (http://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/inside/interviews/george-r-r-martin?autoplay=true&cmpid=ABC587)

He's definitely got pressure to finish now, though. Before he was just like "whatev." Refering to the series as "a locamotive bearing down on me" suggests more urgency than he usually has when he's busy blogging about the Jets.

Natedogg
06-14-2012, 08:50 AM
http://io9.com/5918114/george-w-bushs-decapitated-head-appeared-on-game-of-thrones lol. One of the heads on a pike is George W Bush's.

Natedogg
06-14-2012, 08:52 AM
And here he is discussing splitting up book 4 and 5. He jokes that we can mesh them together if we want. I'm surprised no one on the net has done that yet. I would have much rather read that monstrosity. I hope he never splits his books again.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/done.html

Fedaykin
06-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Ahh, Lady Stoneheart

Fedaykin
06-14-2012, 12:28 PM
Ok. Spoiler(The final scene Sensa is smiling because the sister to the knight of flowers wants and gets to marry King Joffery. Is it because she thinks she gets to go home or because she has a scheme cooking?)

She's happy because she will no longer be wed to a psychopath who has abused her physically, sexually, mentally and emotionally for months.

Seems reason enough to me. =)

El Guapo
06-14-2012, 01:02 PM
Have you guys seen this? Now, I know real life politics does not belong in this thread, but it doesn't belong in Game of Thrones either.

HBO apologizes for putting George W. Bush's head on stake in 'Game of Thrones'

http://wttg.images.worldnow.com/images/18789169_BG1.jpg

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/18789169/hbo-apologizes-for-putting-george-w-bushs-head-on-stake-in-game-of-thrones

"It's not a choice, not a political statement!" one of the writers insisted during the DVD commentary. "We just had to use what heads we had around."

Bull****. ::)

If I weren't such a fan of the books/show I would stop watching. This really disgusts me.

cutthemdown
06-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Have you guys seen this? Now, I know real life politics does not belong in this thread, but it doesn't belong in Game of Thrones either.

Ludicrous. If I weren't such a fan of the books/show I would stop watching. This really disgusts me though.

That is really funny though.

El Guapo
06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah, hilarious. If it were obama the media (and this place) would be a zoo.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 01:19 PM

You can cut it both ways. When you work in a prop department you're looking to save money. You could argue all the heads on the pikes were good men killed by a wicked little bastard. In that sense it suggests he was one of the good guys.

But yes, if Obama's head was up there, there would be a firestorm.

lolcopter
06-14-2012, 01:21 PM

Bull****. ::)

If I weren't such a fan of the books/show I would stop watching. This really disgusts me.

Y u mad tho

IHaveALight
06-14-2012, 01:53 PM
You could argue all the heads on the pikes were good men killed by a wicked little bastard. In that sense it suggests he was one of the good guys.

LOL Yeah that was the intent.

underrated29
06-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Who cares... It could have been Michael Jacksons head or Lady Di. It does not matter. It means nothing. Its a head. It is a prop. Unless you all look specifically at each face as it tells a major part of the book or series, then Id say lets not be so uptight. It changes nothing in your world or the show.

IHaveALight
06-14-2012, 02:45 PM
/fun

StugotsIII
06-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Who cares... It could have been Michael Jacksons head or Lady Di. It does not matter. It means nothing. Its a head. It is a prop. Unless you all look specifically at each face as it tells a major part of the book or series, then Id say lets not be so uptight. It changes nothing in your world or the show.

It's no big deal....just some dip-**** making a political statement.

Anyone that thinks this wasn't a political statement is on shrooms.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 03:11 PM
LOL Yeah that was the intent.

It was a tongue in cheek response. My point is they were grabbing props and that was it. It wasn't a political statement one way or the other.

Kaylore
06-14-2012, 03:12 PM
It's no big deal....just some dip-**** making a political statement.

Anyone that thinks this wasn't a political statement is on shrooms.

It wasn't a political statement.

s0phr0syne
06-14-2012, 03:50 PM
It was stupid to use in the first place because people on both sides of the aisle go retarded over stuff like this, even though it's really pointless.

But, the true DUMB factor comes into play with the producers talking about it in the commentary on the DVD. Without that, no one notices or cares.

StugotsIII
06-14-2012, 03:51 PM
It wasn't a political statement.

You really don't think they had another head laying around?

Come on...

Boobs McGee
06-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Ahh, Lady Stoneheart

I STILL haven't quite figured out how that priest keeps bringing donderion back to life, but I'm "assuming" it has something to do with the Lord of Light? And since they were all pro Stark at some point, that's why they brough Catelyn back? Is this going to be explained in books four and five? Cause if so, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME!!!!

Smiling Assassin27
06-14-2012, 04:06 PM
It's Bush's fault. He shouldn't have had his head languishing in the props inventory. I'm curious what show that head was originally used in that it'd be lying around as a prop, American Skull F***?

cutthemdown
06-14-2012, 04:50 PM
You can cut it both ways. When you work in a prop department you're looking to save money. You could argue all the heads on the pikes were good men killed by a wicked little bastard. In that sense it suggests he was one of the good guys.

But yes, if Obama's head was up there, there would be a firestorm.

You can bet on that. I think it's funny though and I love the show. HBO can be edgy with their humor. This was no accident though. Directors have a long history of adding little things in the background of films. It's like a pop culture thing for people into the show to find and talk about.

They should just wait until later in the show and make one of the white walkers look like Obama.

SonOfLe-loLang
06-14-2012, 05:04 PM

elsid13
06-14-2012, 05:46 PM

That is the reason that I hate Martin. He has given up on the series and is only doing it because he has to vs. because he wants.

myMind
06-14-2012, 09:43 PM
But, the true DUMB factor comes into play with the producers talking about it in the commentary on the DVD. Without that, no one notices or cares.

This^

Adding this commentary on purpose made it a political statement.
A stupid one. I didn't vote for or like Bush, but pointing this trivial info out is pure duuuuur.

Taco John
06-15-2012, 12:25 AM

Got a point there...

myMind
06-15-2012, 12:31 AM
(and this place) would be a zoo.

Wait...this isn't a zoo?

myMind
06-15-2012, 12:48 AM

Obviously not a book reader.
pffft.
Still kinda funny.

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Question about book 5, apologies in advance for the spelling:

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through book five, and I'm a little confused on the whole prince Aegon thing. So did Rhager's kids (who were allegdly slaughtered by the Mountain, right?) BOTH survive? It's getting to the point where I'm really confused on which characters are which. Isn't Aegon, the kid who Tyrion saved from the stone men on the barge, a cousin of Daenerys? I guess I just need a little clarification on exactly who he is, who his protectors on the boat are, and his relationship to the Dragon Queen. AND, his relationship to the Dragon Prince that Robert Baratheon killed. And for ****s sake he better get crackin on the last book, because I'm gonna want some finality!!!!!!!

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
oh, and -

WHY THE **** HASNT SHE UNLEASHED HER DRAGONS YET???? They sound MASSIVE right now, so you'd think it'd be prudent to try and get a handle on the two in captivity. Sounds like she's not going to be able to control them after a certain point?

peacepipe
07-03-2012, 05:38 PM
anyone have any insight on when book 6 is to come out?

Taco John
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
anyone have any insight on when book 6 is to come out?

Last I read, GRRM is about 250 pages in and it's expected to be a 1500 page book.

From the Wiki:

Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500 manuscript pages each. With 200 finished pages by March 2012, Martin hopes to finish The Winds of Winter much faster than the fifth book. Martin has angered fans in the past for repeatedly estimating his publication dates too optimistically and therefore he has refrained from making hard estimates for The Winds of Winter's release date. A realistic estimation for finishing The Winds of Winter might be three years for him at a good pace, but ultimately the book "will be done when it's done". Martin does not intend to separate the characters geographically again but acknowledged that "Three years from [2011] when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winds_of_Winter

Jay3
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
oh, and -

WHY THE **** HASNT SHE UNLEASHED HER DRAGONS YET???? They sound MASSIVE right now, so you'd think it'd be prudent to try and get a handle on the two in captivity. Sounds like she's not going to be able to control them after a certain point?

It's almost like . . .

one or more persons are going to have to warg into one of them to control them.

peacepipe
07-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Last I read, GRRM is about 250 pages in and it's expected to be a 1500 page book.

From the Wiki:

Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500 manuscript pages each. With 200 finished pages by March 2012, Martin hopes to finish The Winds of Winter much faster than the fifth book. Martin has angered fans in the past for repeatedly estimating his publication dates too optimistically and therefore he has refrained from making hard estimates for The Winds of Winter's release date. A realistic estimation for finishing The Winds of Winter might be three years for him at a good pace, but ultimately the book "will be done when it's done". Martin does not intend to separate the characters geographically again but acknowledged that "Three years from [2011] when I'm sitting on 1,800 pages of manuscript with no end in sight, who the hell knows".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Winds_of_Winter

not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks. figured with the series on hbo,it might come out soon.

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
It's almost like . . .

one or more persons are going to have to warg into one of them to control them.

Duuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!
didnt even think of that!!! Maybe this is gonna be how Bran flies!!!

Jay3
07-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Duuuuuuuuuuuude!!!!!
didnt even think of that!!! Maybe this is gonna be how Bran flies!!!

Yep. That's the speculation. (No inside knowledge or anything).

Taco John
07-03-2012, 08:10 PM
not exactly what I wanted to hear but thanks. figured with the series on hbo,it might come out soon.

This might help:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j7lp3RhzfgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Yep. That's the speculation. (No inside knowledge or anything).

wow that would be epic!

Boobs McGee
07-03-2012, 08:16 PM
This might help:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j7lp3RhzfgI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hilarious!

****ing. AWESOME.

El Guapo
07-05-2012, 11:39 AM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H-oZ4Bug_zA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

myMind
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Question about book 5, apologies in advance for the spelling:

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through book five, and I'm a little confused on the whole prince Aegon thing. So did Rhager's kids (who were allegdly slaughtered by the Mountain, right?) BOTH survive? It's getting to the point where I'm really confused on which characters are which. Isn't Aegon, the kid who Tyrion saved from the stone men on the barge, a cousin of Daenerys? I guess I just need a little clarification on exactly who he is, who his protectors on the boat are, and his relationship to the Dragon Queen. AND, his relationship to the Dragon Prince that Robert Baratheon killed. And for ****s sake he better get crackin on the last book, because I'm gonna want some finality!!!!!!!

The Dragon Queen is Dany obviously. The Dragon Prince killed by Robert was named Rhaegar, he and Dany were brother and sister. Aegon is Rhaegar's son and therefore Danys nephew. Not going to go into any spoilers as you havent finished reading. When you're done come back and Im sure we all can answer anything you may still be confused about. :thumbsup:

Boobs McGee
07-05-2012, 11:20 PM
The Dragon Queen is Dany obviously. The Dragon Prince killed by Robert was named Rhaegar, he and Dany were brother and sister. Aegon is Rhaegar's son and therefore Danys nephew. Not going to go into any spoilers as you havent finished reading. When you're done come back and Im sure we all can answer anything you may still be confused about. :thumbsup:

Just finished. thanks for the summation, thats what I THOUGHT was going on but u was a little confused, especially where connington fit in.

Anywho, holy ****. Ho.ly. ****. No one is safe!!!! Grrm better steo his game up, cause if I have to wait five more years im gonna be PISSED!!!

Chris
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Is this about the books or the show? I'm finally caught up with the show. If it's the books, I'll have to stay away.

Boobs McGee
07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
It's started about the show (I think), but now it's mostly about the books. Everyone's being pretty good about wrapping "spoiler" texts around the important stuff.

And ps, you need to start the books asap, cause they will bloooow yooooooour miiiiiiind.

Kaylore
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
It's started about the show (I think), but now it's mostly about the books. Everyone's being pretty good about wrapping "spoiler" texts around the important stuff.

And ps, you need to start the books asap, cause they will bloooow yooooooour miiiiiiind.

http://gifsoup.com/view/254455/blow-your-mind-o.gif

Totally agree.

Chris
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Ohh weeeeewwy?

http://courseware.codeschool.com/images/blog/node-mind-blown.gif

Boobs McGee
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Yes, weewyyyy
http://cdn.chud.com/9/90/90374be9_mind_blown.gif

Jay3
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Just finished. thanks for the summation, thats what I THOUGHT was going on but u was a little confused, especially where connington fit in.

While I've enjoyed the books, my main criticism of Martin would be that he starts too many different factions, too many different things going on, at a point where he needs to be reeling it in, bringing things together.

Boobs McGee
07-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Ya know, I kind of agree with you...it wouldn't be so bad IF he was pumping these out with a little more regularity. According to him, he plans on having two 1500 pagers to close things out, which would be MORE than enough writing to reel it all in. But having to wait for 10 years might propel the dissatisfaction that you have (and a lot of people share).

Are there some specific examples you're referring to, or were you talking in more of a general term?

jerseyguy4
07-06-2012, 01:09 PM
While I've enjoyed the books, my main criticism of Martin would be that he starts too many different factions, too many different things going on, at a point where he needs to be reeling it in, bringing things together.
Try the Wheel of Time series by Jordan. Thrice as bad.

Jay3
07-06-2012, 01:54 PM

I read the first three, back in the day when they were coming out. I caught on to what he was doing.

I feel a little ashamed it took me three honking books, all the while thinking "maybe, just maybe . . . ."

I rode the short bus.

BroncsRule
07-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Yep. the fear with GRRM is that he's going to go "full Jordan" on us.

jerseyguy4
07-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey, I love the Jordan books too. Just saying there's considerably more characters and more plot lines than the GRRM series

Reading a complex series like this is easy for me if I read it after it is completely written, and therefore I can read one book after the other until I'm done. It's the waiting game between books that drives me nuts. This last Martin book took so long to come out that I had practically forgotten everything.

For the person who now starts the Jordan series, I think they're in for a good ride. Same for the Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth series (which I also really liked). But I talk to lots of people who just caught up to Martin's series....and I know the trash talk will now begin as they wait for more books.

Boobs McGee
07-09-2012, 09:30 AM
I've been left wanting at this point, so I'm looking at finding a new series to read. Bought and read the first Hunger Games book this weekend (wasn't a huge fan), so can I get some recomendations as to another good fantasy/sci-fi book?

What is the "full Jordan" you guys are talking about with the Wheel series? Is that something I want to stay away from?

Haven't read Dune, is that pretty decent?

The last time I really got into a series (aside from the Song of Ice and Fire) , was the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was in my teenage years, and I loved it.

myMind
07-09-2012, 10:01 AM
I've been left wanting at this point, so I'm looking at finding a new series to read. Bought and read the first Hunger Games book this weekend (wasn't a huge fan), so can I get some recomendations as to another good fantasy/sci-fi book?

What is the "full Jordan" you guys are talking about with the Wheel series? Is that something I want to stay away from?

The last time I really got into a series (aside from the Song of Ice and Fire) , was the Redwall series by Brian Jacques. It was in my teenage years, and I loved it.

The Dune Series is one of the greatest acheivments in the history of SciFi literature. I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you want fantasy though try either The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson or The Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker. Both are excellent.

Kaylore
07-09-2012, 10:26 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HeRRCxCLN54/T5lPxM8wC_I/AAAAAAAAAPw/X_TlfWiQ2pY/s1600/george-rr-martin.jpg

The picture of health!

Boobs McGee
07-09-2012, 10:53 AM
The Dune Series is one of the greatest acheivments in the history of SciFi literature. I can't recommend it highly enough.

If you want fantasy though try either The Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson or The Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Bakker. Both are excellent.

Thanks! I'll start looking into them.

lolcopter
07-10-2012, 05:41 PM
http://gifsoup.com/view/254455/blow-your-mind-o.gif

http://courseware.codeschool.com/images/blog/node-mind-blown.gif

Yes, weewyyyy
http://cdn.chud.com/9/90/90374be9_mind_blown.gif

http://tifr.us/storage/post-images/Tim-Eric-Mind-Blown-__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1316658161000.gif

elsid13
07-10-2012, 05:57 PM

At least Jordan had a plan on how it would all come together and left detail notes after he died on how he wanted it to end. I still believe that Martin doesn't have clue on how he wants to wrap it up.

elsid13
07-10-2012, 06:02 PM

The Book of the Fallen are good, but be prepared for a whole host of characters that fall in and out of the 11 books. It is difficult at times to keep all them straight when there are minor characters in one book, that become major players in another then completely disappear for the rest of the series.

myMind
07-10-2012, 07:36 PM
The Book of the Fallen are good, but be prepared for a whole host of characters that fall in and out of the 11 books. It is difficult at times to keep all them straight when there are minor characters in one book, that become major players in another then completely disappear for the rest of the series.

While this is true, the first 7 or 8 books are pretty much self-contained. Each book also has a complete character glossary so I never really found it hard to keep track of who is who.

Taco John
07-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Warning! Huge Game of Thrones Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/3D9dy.jpg

Chris
07-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Warning! Huge Game of Thrones Spoiler:

http://i.imgur.com/3D9dy.jpg

Is this a spoiler for those that are up to date with the TV show?

Boobs McGee
07-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Hahaha

Boobs McGee
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
@ Chris- just click it bro , its a giant spoiler but worth it

elsid13
07-11-2012, 04:13 PM
While this is true, the first 7 or 8 books are pretty much self-contained. Each book also has a complete character glossary so I never really found it hard to keep track of who is who.

It little harder when you take a couple of years reading between books as I did, it very good series but it very epic in scale which means lots of different charactors. Also I recommend Ian Esslemont spin offs that close a lot of loose ends of the main books.

Taco John
07-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Is this a spoiler for those that are up to date with the TV show?

No one is safe.

scorpio
07-11-2012, 04:17 PM

Dune is rad. Read it. Read all of them, except the ones by his son (Brian Herbert). Those are stupid.

Chris
07-11-2012, 04:45 PM
No one is safe.

Damnit. Adding these books to the pile is really the straw that broke the camel's back in so far as my endless reading list is concerned. Speed listening here I come.

elsid13
07-11-2012, 05:01 PM

The best Fantasy Book/Series I read in long time is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It very very very good. I read the 500 plus pages in less two days because I was so into that book and follow on one.

Also I liked JV Jones Sword of Shadows series. It is very solid read

And of course Cook's Black Company series which is master piece.

Dutch
07-12-2012, 09:49 AM
The best Fantasy Book/Series I read in long time is The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It very very very good. I read the 500 plus pages in less two days because I was so into that book and follow on one.

Also I liked JV Jones Sword of Shadows series. It is very solid read

And of course Cook's Black Company series which is master piece.

Big fan of those as well, Elsid.

BroncsRule
07-12-2012, 10:56 AM

"The Full Jordan" means the author allowing the story to get away from him/her - creating 30 or more Points of View, 250+ significant characters and 1,200+ minor ones - and then dying.

Agree whole heartedly with the Rothfuss suggestion.

I also like Brian Sanderson (the guy annointed to sort out the Robert Jordan mess and finish Wheel of Time) and Joe Abercrombie, among the newer authors - and if you haven't read Dune, there may be a whole bunch of classic, classic series that you missed back in the '80;s and '90's: Try David Eddings or Barbara Hambly or Anne McCaffrey..

Oh - and Dune is awesome.

Boobs McGee
07-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone (and the Full Jordan Definition)...definitely checking out Dune first. That series was finished properly, correct?

Once I wrap those up, I'll come back and start with the next set!

Boobs McGee
07-12-2012, 11:17 AM
JUST REMEMBERED! When I was younger, I read a bunch of the Xanth series (piers anthony). From what I recall, they were fun, easy to read fantasy books. Thinking about grabbing one from kindle...anyone recently read any of the newer ones? Are they considered more "teen" books?

BroncsRule
07-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Xanth is certainly light hearted and tounge in cheek - and appropriate for young adults. If you like Xanth, try Terry Pratchett's Diskwold.

scorpio
07-12-2012, 12:20 PM
the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony is good, or at least I really liked it when I was younger.

You might also dig "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. Much darker and more adult. "Neverwhere" and "Stardust" are both good also.

jerseyguy4
07-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone (and the Full Jordan Definition)...definitely checking out Dune first. That series was finished properly, correct?

Once I wrap those up, I'll come back and start with the next set!
I read the Dune series but wasn't as big a fan as some here. There are some big time and generation gaps between books (making each book it's own story). It didn't have that "series" feel to it, for me.

You could say it finished properly, because each book was its own story. But I don't think that term really applies to Dune.

Jordan's Wheel of Time is a continuous story. As others said, he did die before it ended, but purposely left all the detail to have a successor complete it. Brandon Sanderson has finished thee LAST book and it comes out in January. As diverse and sprawling as any story can be, it is still truly awesome.

Earlier in this thread I also mentioned Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It's a bit more simple than either Martin or Jordan, but quite good nonetheless. I thought the series started off a little predictable, but the books (and Goodkind's writing) got better as they went along. Book 6 (Faith of the Fallen) was one of my favorite books of any series, or any genre for that matter.

One more good one - Sharon Kay Penman - Here be Dragons. It's a historical fiction 3 book series. Set around 1100-1200 AD in England and Wales. Short review -> it's awesome.

On a sour note, anyone read or like Terry Brooks Shannara series? I read most of them. I thought they were terrible. Simple, predictable, cookie cutter, and boring. Funny part is I read at least 7 of them, maybe 9, until I finally called it quits. I was just hooked on series books at the time.

BroncsRule
07-12-2012, 01:37 PM
I read the Dune series but wasn't as big a fan as some here. There are some big time and generation gaps between books (making each book it's own story). It didn't have that "series" feel to it, for me.

You could say it finished properly, because each book was its own story. But I don't think that term really applies to Dune.

Jordan's Wheel of Time is a continuous story. As others said, he did die before it ended, but purposely left all the detail to have a successor complete it. Brandon Sanderson has finished thee LAST book and it comes out in January. As diverse and sprawling as any story can be, it is still truly awesome.

Earlier in this thread I also mentioned Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. It's a bit more simple than either Martin or Jordan, but quite good nonetheless. I thought the series started off a little predictable, but the books (and Goodkind's writing) got better as they went along. Book 6 (Faith of the Fallen) was one of my favorite books of any series, or any genre for that matter.

One more good one - Sharon Kay Penman - Here be Dragons. It's a historical fiction 3 book series. Set around 1100-1200 AD in England and Wales. Short review -> it's awesome.

On a sour note, anyone read or like Terry Brooks Shannara series? I read most of them. I thought they were terrible. Simple, predictable, cookie cutter, and boring. Funny part is I read at least 7 of them, maybe 9, until I finally called it quits. I was just hooked on series books at the time.

Thanks for the release date on the last WOT - I had not heard that. Also thanks for the "Here be Dragons" - i like historical fiction as a changeup. Ever read Guy Gavriel Kay?

I gave up on Goodkind after the 3rd book. Seemed like he was going all Ayn Rand, and I couldn't hang.

And yeah - Terry Brooks sucks. Only ever read one of 'em - way back in the day.. Was the first one called "Sword of Shanara? I think that was it.

Taco John
07-13-2012, 12:20 AM
I start Sword of Storms again this weekend. I'm finding that my second read-through of the series is just as epic as my first. I'm picking up on little details that I didn't catch the first time around - and the significance of certain events. Robert and Ned in the forest. Bran's dream before he wakes up. Ned's dreams while he's on the Milk of the Poppy. John Snow's wharg experience. Catelyn and Jamie's conversation in the cells. The ambition of Highgarden. Danery's visions in the house of the undying.

I'm really looking forward to reading through this third book again. So much happens in it, and I'm excited to find new details that I missed before.

broncolife
09-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Just started listening to 4th audio book. Im about 2 hours in and I was wondering where the hell are the main characters. I was getting so bored I had to check the net and see what was up. I was pissed to see that 2 of my fav characters are not in it (Snow and Tyrion.) And my other fav character is hardly in it. (Arya.) Im going to have a hard time gettng through this book. Its like reading a Harry Potter book with no Harry in it.

broncolife
09-06-2012, 12:26 AM
There is a rumor Ned stark had another bastard.

broncolife
09-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Derek Snow

ZONA
09-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Just started listening to 4th audio book. Im about 2 hours in and I was wondering where the hell are the main characters. I was getting so bored I had to check the net and see what was up. I was pissed to see that 2 of my fav characters are not in it (Snow and Tyrion.) And my other fav character is hardly in it. (Arya.) Im going to have a hard time gettng through this book. Its like reading a Harry Potter book with no Harry in it.

I haven't read the books but after watching the series for 2 years now, this is one of the things that I find sorta frustrating. So many characters, you can't possibly keep them all going or go into any great depth on most of them.

Fedaykin
09-06-2012, 03:57 AM

Book 4 & 5 are one giant book, split up toughly by geography/character set. Everyone you're missing is featured in B5.

Jay3
09-06-2012, 05:13 AM

This is the critique I was making earlier in the thread -- Martin doesn't seem to be able to bring things back home and wrap up like a novel should. He keeps starting new character subplots, more moving parts. Just wait until you that some of them come to nothing, and have no effect on the overall plot.

He writes like he's writing for a weekly TV show that never ends, rather than a novel.

Jay3
09-06-2012, 05:14 AM
Book 4 & 5 are one giant book, split up toughly by geography/character set. Everyone you're missing is featured in B5.

And reading these in real time ( when they were published), you would go 11 years without reading about the characters that are not mentioned in B4.

BroncsRule
09-06-2012, 06:34 AM
This is the critique I was making earlier in the thread -- Martin doesn't seem to be able to bring things back home and wrap up like a novel should. He keeps starting new character subplots, more moving parts. Just wait until you that some of them come to nothing, and have no effect on the overall plot.

He writes like he's writing for a weekly TV show that never ends, rather than a novel.

Interesting observation. I remember reading somewhere (probably on his blog) that GRRM cut his teeth writing for TV back in the '80's..

Kaylore
09-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Mods, please don't move this thread. PLEEEEEASEEE

Rascal
09-10-2012, 02:54 PM
When is book 6 supposed to come out? Just started book 4.

Eldorado
09-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Season one was dope. Gonna have to 'find a way' to get season 2.

Broncos_OTM
09-19-2012, 02:18 PM

tubeplus.com is your friend

Kaylore
09-19-2012, 02:41 PM

This is a cool gif I found.
http://i.imgur.com/xN2Ud.gif

v2micca
09-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Seems as good a place as any on the internet to bitch about Peter Dinklage getting robbed at the Emmy Awards. Don't get me wrong. I love me some Breaking Bad. And this past season just keeps getting better and better. But this past season Jesse Pinkman never had a single moment anywhere close to Tyrion Lanister's Blackwater speech. And Dinklage seriously owned that moment.

Taco John
09-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Seems as good a place as any on the internet to b**** about Peter Dinklage getting robbed at the Emmy Awards. Don't get me wrong. I love me some Breaking Bad. And this past season just keeps getting better and better. But this past season Jesse Pinkman never had a single moment anywhere close to Tyrion Lanister's Blackwater speech. And Dinklage seriously owned that moment.

Not to mention the scene with Shae after that when she came to visit him after the battle. That was some quality acting.

houghtam
10-01-2012, 01:15 AM
So, I know all you are already a bunch of nerds for talking about snarks and grumkins in a public place.

And I know for a fact that several of you are into World of Warcraft or at least Diablo III.

And I really don't care how big of a nerd you all think me to be (because you can probably multiply that by X and you still won't be close)...

SO....

I have begun to adapt a pencil and paper RPG for the Game of Thrones setting. (Yes, I realize there already is one, and I've seen it...it isn't very good) I was wondering if there would be anyone out there interested in giving it a try.

What I'm looking for at the moment is some people to help me iron out some of the kinks and help playtest...I will also have my first "official" campaign starting around the first of the year.

But I'd really like to get a small group from here together and help put some interesting stories together and see how it works.

If you're interested, send me a PM. I already play a few pencil and paper RPGs with some other groups over Skype, Ventrilo, and the like...the lore and "realism" (as far as fantasy goes) of Game of Thrones is just to ripe not to try and pick the fruit.

So send me a PM. I promise not to out your nerd-dom to the rest of the board.

cutthemdown
10-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I haven't read the books but after watching the series for 2 years now, this is one of the things that I find sorta frustrating. So many characters, you can't possibly keep them all going or go into any great depth on most of them.

It does get frustrating but the show is still so engrossing I can't stop watching. It gets slow at times, lacks action, but then the payoff is its epic nature and twisting plot lines. It keeps you guessing.

I did have to go online a few times to read the back stories on the characters. It gets hard to follow sometimes.

Chris
10-03-2012, 06:22 PM
It does get frustrating but the show is still so engrossing I can't stop watching. It gets slow at times, lacks action, but then the payoff is its epic nature and twisting plot lines. It keeps you guessing.

I did have to go online a few times to read the back stories on the characters. It gets hard to follow sometimes.

I have a feeling xbox / microsoft smartglass will let you track who you're watching and get their bios instantly.

cutthemdown
10-03-2012, 07:36 PM
I have a feeling xbox / microsoft smartglass will let you track who you're watching and get their bios instantly.

That would be handy. Funny a show can be popular, but sort of piss people off at same time. I guess that is the sign of a great story that is hard to tell.

cutthemdown
10-03-2012, 07:37 PM
That movie coming out Cloud Atlas supposedly switches time frames in drastic ways. Sounds really hard to film. I will probably go check that out.

Chris
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
That movie coming out Cloud Atlas supposedly switches time frames in drastic ways. Sounds really hard to film. I will probably go check that out.

I saw Cloud Atlas not this past weekend but the one before in a screening with the Wachowskis. I enjoyed it. Good, not great. There's nothing particularly intellectual about the movie but it doesn't take long to adapt to the construct. It's set up in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

Anyways I came in here to post this

http://img3.etsystatic.com/006/0/6545693/il_570xN.356376339_ops5.jpg

http://www.etsy.com/listing/104356743/game-of-thrones-inspired-toilet-decal

broncosteven
10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I saw Cloud Atlas not this past weekend but the one before in a screening with the Wachowskis. ...[/url]

Is is true that they are now Brother and Sister now?

Chris
10-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Is is true that they are now Brother and Sister now?

Yes, and Lana, formerly Lara was an incredibly funny and awesome interviewee. If you didn't know you wouldn't notice.

Taco John
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM

I've been trying to get to that book, but I"m too engrossed in this one. I'm on my third readthrough now... Never been this engrossed in a book series.

Chris
10-15-2012, 03:41 PM
I've been trying to get to that book, but I"m too engrossed in this one. I'm on my third readthrough now... Never been this engrossed in a book series.

Ma kindle paperweight arrives Thursday. A-schwing!

P.S. if any maner attempts to hit up the armoured car and steal my paperwhite I WILL KNOW IT'S YOU.

Boobs McGee
10-15-2012, 04:11 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjIxMDc3MTUxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTEzNTY1Ng@@._ V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

This is almost exactly what I pictured Tormund Giantsbane looking like! Great casting job (imo)

EDIT: minus the flannel haha

Eldorado
10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
So, who else thought season 2 flopped a little?

Chris
10-15-2012, 04:25 PM
So, who else thought season 2 flopped a little?

http://www.statefansnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/crickets.gif

Drunk Monkey
10-15-2012, 06:07 PM
http://www.lolwtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1340538343.jpg

I just read the Red Wedding, would you people please stop pestering Martin

myMind
10-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Uhh...maybe put that in spoiler tags DM. Dont want people putting two and two together if they havent read the books.

houghtam
10-15-2012, 08:46 PM
It did. It's lacking that "Ned Stark" moment from S1/Book One, but rest assured season 3 will eclipse both combined.

From a cinematic perspective, though, I can see why they made a lot of the choices they did. Even Martin said that books 2 and 3 kind of run together. A bit difficult to fit in the chronology AND all the different characters in 10 1 hour episodes. That's why I think reading the books in addition to watching the show helps a ton.

Old Dude
02-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Ouch, I feel old.

My teenage heart throb, Dianna Rigg, will appear in Season 3 as Marjorie's grandmother.

Then: https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAMacSrJQuTQJ20Dy5KAkJc-dMhtrbxtLg77N7Ety6St89VOeq

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzTtMD1MRPDOdxrSXcbdQFDTWeWOhXW QDRqsm-lR4GLyH2ntSD

Now:https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTPztRoO77IA0MQekNScWKJJtrnhvgQ cJSp-aspbpFvesmSQYQHw

Chris
02-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Damn my dick needs a time machine.

Rascal
02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
lol

Kaylore
02-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Damn my dick needs a time machine.

Hilarious! She was pretty hot, though.

I have this thing for Veronica Lake and Doris Day with short hair....:crazy:

kupesdad
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Hilarious! She was pretty hot, though.

I have this thing for Veronica Lake and Doris Day with short hair....:crazy:

Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly

And either one could be bald for all I care

cutthemdown
02-23-2013, 12:29 AM
I can't wait to watch the hottie blonde ride a dragon. I hope she is half naked when she does it. Or i wish someone would get to bang her again....Something!

cutthemdown
02-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Awesome the dragons are teenagers! You really can't go wrong with dragons. This is going to be a great season. Walking Dead will end soon but then we will have Game Of Thrones. I don't watch a ton of TV just need one good show a week and I am happy.

jutang
02-23-2013, 07:40 AM
Walking dead, shameless, games of thrones, and boradwalk empire are the main shows i look forward to each year.

Mad men for some odd reason has lost my interest.

cutthemdown
02-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Walking dead, shameless, games of thrones, and boradwalk empire are the main shows i look forward to each year.

Mad men for some odd reason has lost my interest.

Try Justified. Just getting into the first season of it and I think i will be hooked.

El Guapo
02-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Justified is legit, but having read these books... well... This season of Game of Thrones will be epic. Mark my words.

Kaylore
02-23-2013, 06:34 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RzI9v_B4sxw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/greenteaduck/jizz.gif

OCBronco
02-26-2013, 12:13 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who recommended The Name of the Wind. I read it and The Wise Man's Fear. An amazing story. Can't wait to see how Rothfuss concludes the trilogy.

RhymesayersDU
03-31-2013, 08:10 PM
GAME OF OWNS.

Archer81
03-31-2013, 08:17 PM
Hour went by quick. Really cant wait for some bad things to happen to some horrible ****ing people.

spdirty
03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Damnit, it isn't recording till 9 on my dvr. Just watched the last 3 episodes of last season. Ugh, wish I'd just wait until the whole series is over then just get the DVD's so I can just watch it all in a big ass marathon. By far my favorite show.

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2013, 09:14 PM
I guess that means I have to get HBO again..... unless there was another way

Boobs McGee
03-31-2013, 11:02 PM
Winning!!!!! I'm on the fence about Mance...in my mind's eye, I pictured him as being younger/more rugged. Tormund is pretty spot on as how I pictured him. This season is gonna be EPIC!

DivineLegion
03-31-2013, 11:07 PM
I feel like they covered a lot of ground in the first episode, and I'm not sure how I felt about the way they changed Baristons story.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-31-2013, 11:12 PM
I friggin love this show. Great first hour. That scene between Tyrion and tywin=epic. Fully erect

Fedaykin
03-31-2013, 11:18 PM
I feel like they covered a lot of ground in the first episode, and I'm not sure how I felt about the way they changed Baristons story.

It's more or less impossible to hide an actor from the audience. The real question is: where's Strong Belwas!

IndelibleScribe
04-01-2013, 01:11 AM
i love this show. this season will be epic. not sure it will match Sons of anarchy but it will be close.

DivineLegion
04-01-2013, 05:58 AM
It's more or less impossible to hide an actor from the audience. The real question is: where's Strong Belwas!

But doesn't that add to the intrigue when you recognize him, at least for those who haven't read the books.

v2micca
04-01-2013, 06:38 AM
Loved the first episode of season 3. Like others have said, they covered a lot of ground this first episode and set a lot of the plot lines for the season in motion.

Couple of minor quibble points. They overplayed their hand with the Unsullied slave trader. In a series such as this that aspires to be more mature and thought provoking, I feel it is a mistake to make any one character too easy to hate. Much in the same way they have made Joffrey far more of a nonredeemable sociopath than he was in the novels. (***Spoiler Text***) Its as if the show writers don't have enough faith in the audience to be satisfied when these characters receive their eventual comeuppance so they spell out in bold letters, hate this character. (***End Spoilers***)

My favorite scene of the night was easily the Royal dinner party which had to feature one of the most vicious passive aggressive family conversations I have ever seen. Sorry Joffrey, as big of a c*ckbite as you are, you are still no match for your mother in verbal sparring games.

Looking forward to next week's episode. There are still enough characters that we need to catch up with and set on their arcs for season three that I don't suspect we will start slowing down just yet.

DivineLegion
04-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Im floored that you felt the books dont portray Joff as an even bigger pile of **** than the show does...

The books were amazing at making you hate certain people with an unbridled passion (primarily Joff and Ramsay Bolton). That slave trader was every bit like that in the books... in fact, I think that dialogue is a string of direct quotes (though its been a couple years since I read this one).

I reread a storm of swords before the season started last week, and I have to say there is about 30 pages of vulgar insults that the slave trader hurls at Daenerys.

Agree on Joff.

And in regards to your latter post, I guess I liked the character of Aston Whitebeard more than others. I also liked how the book portrayed the unveiling of his true identity.

v2micca
04-01-2013, 07:05 AM
Im floored that you felt the books dont portray Joff as an even bigger pile of **** than the show does...

The books were amazing at making you hate certain people with an unbridled passion (primarily Joff and Ramsay Bolton). That slave trader was every bit like that in the books... in fact, I think that dialogue is a string of direct quotes (though its been a couple years since I read this one).

The books showed Joffrey to be a liar, coward, entitled, and generally unlikable. It did however stop short of making him a sociopath that enjoys watching prostitutes beaten for his pleasure. Nor did they have him ordering the deaths of all of King Robert's bastard children (Cersie is responsible for that particular slaughter in the books)

StugotsIII
04-01-2013, 07:23 AM

The slave trader in the book verbally crucified DT way harsher than that…

I thought HBO nailed him, but failed a little when it came to the story of the unsullied. I mean, I get it…they don't have a ton of time to devote, but they are pretty badass and garnered a little more attention. JMO.

Loved seeing the giants...

DivineLegion
04-01-2013, 07:41 AM
The slave trader in the book verbally crucified DT way harsher than that…

I thought HBO nailed him, but failed a little when it came to the story of the unsullied. I mean, I get it…they don't have a ton of time to devote, but they are pretty badass and garnered a little more attention. JMO.

Loved seeing the giants...

We also missed out on the lesbianism (for those who know what I am referring to)!

v2micca
04-01-2013, 08:00 AM
We also missed out on the lesbianism (for those who know what I am referring to)!

Well, they have re-arranged some scenes in the series already. For example, I think the closing scene of this episode actually happened on the Docks of Quarth before they left. May be mistaken there has it has been a while since I read the books. My point is, there is still plenty of time for Dany to get her grove on with her bunk mate (please HBO, don't reverse your fan service policy now)

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 08:19 AM

This. I feel like the show tries harder to make him seem more sympathetic.

The Books do show characters in a different light because we can read their thoughts. That helps with things like making Tyrion more badass, Bran's experiences embodying the Direwolf, and admitedly somewhat sympathetic views of SOME of the Lannisters (I think Jamie and his father are badass), but the books make Joffrey and Cercei out to be even more deplorable, IMO.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 08:21 AM
Well, they have re-arranged some scenes in the series already. For example, I think the closing scene of this episode actually happened on the Docks of Quarth before they left. May be mistaken there has it has been a while since I read the books. My point is, there is still plenty of time for Dany to get her grove on with her bunk mate (please HBO, don't reverse your fan service policy now)

They've showed that before in the Season 1 brothel scene when Littlefinger is waxing hysterical about his grand schemes, so you'll likely get your wish.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 08:22 AM
The books showed Joffrey to be a liar, coward, entitled, and generally unlikable. It did however stop short of making him a sociopath that enjoys watching prostitutes beaten for his pleasure. Nor did they have him ordering the deaths of all of King Robert's bastard children (Cersie is responsible for that particular slaughter in the books)

You need to read the books again. There's the first part of a chapter where everyone who comes to the king with a grievance ends up having to fight to the death for his enjoyment and he ends up killing them both sometimes. The kid is a an evil little puke.

ZONA
04-01-2013, 11:39 AM
All I know is that this was quite the boring season opener. Not that I've been thrilled with much of this series anyway. To me it's way over hyped. It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland. This might was well be General Hospital or Days Of Our Lives to be honest. It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.

Fedaykin
04-01-2013, 11:57 AM

I'd dare say that tormeting your bride to be by having her stripped and beaten, making her look at her father's chopped off head, etc. are more clear indicators of sociopathy than making prostitutes do some BDSM.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 12:01 PM
I'd dare say that tormeting your bride to be by having her stripped and beaten, making her look at her father's chopped off head, etc. are more clear indicators of sociopathy than making prostitutes do some BDSM.

I liked when Sansa saw him "but didn't 'see' him" and how it pissed off Joffrey. It's hard to convey what was going there in the show. When you read it makes Sansa less weak.

underrated29
04-01-2013, 12:03 PM
All I know is that this was quite the boring season opener. Not that I've been thrilled with much of this series anyway. To me it's way over hyped. It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland. This might was well be General Hospital or Days Of Our Lives to be honest. It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.

Are you the same one who thought the nudity, language and violence was excessive and wanted to watch it with the family?

Cant please everyone i guess.

Hulamau
04-01-2013, 12:43 PM
You need to read the books again. There's the first part of a chapter where everyone who comes to the king with a grievance ends up having to fight to the death for his enjoyment and he ends up killing them both sometimes. The kid is a an evil little puke.

The weasel Joffery is so evil and beyond any idea of redemption that it will welcomed indeed to see him being drawn and quartered in slo mo ... or whatever well deserved end he has coming to him.

Houshyamama
04-01-2013, 12:56 PM
It's not bad but it's nothing on the level of a Dexter or Homeland.

Well, that's like, your opinion man.

It's really a day time soap but with castles and swords that hardly ever get used.

It's a drama, it's about character development and plot lines. Not all dramas are soaps :rofl: Is Othello a day time soap as well?

Fedaykin
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
I liked when Sansa saw him "but didn't 'see' him" and how it pissed off Joffrey. It's hard to convey what was going there in the show. When you read it makes Sansa less weak.

Martin has a knack for writing good female characters. Sansa, Dany and Arya have perhaps the most interesting character arcs in the entire series. Some quality male character arcs too, but not on par IMHO.

Kaylore
04-01-2013, 02:54 PM
Martin has a knack for writing good female characters. Sansa, Dany and Arya have perhaps the most interesting character arcs in the entire series. Some quality male character arcs too, but not on par IMHO.

Oh come on. Tyrion steals the show! But I agree. Arya is one of my favorites. And he picks good female "villains" too.

cutthemdown
04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Cracks me up when people who say they series isn't very good have watched all the episodes. I never watch a show twice unless I really like it. Game of Thrones is awesome and one of the best produced shows on TV.

IndelibleScribe
04-01-2013, 05:22 PM
they could torture, tear body parts off of him one by one, draw and quarter him, tar and feather him, burn him alive and it still wouldn't be enough to punish that psychotic little bastard Joff.

and that doesn't even begin to reach the depths of how bent his mother is.
that bitch is about as evil as you can be without being the devil.

Taco John
04-01-2013, 05:30 PM

I completely disagree with that. I personally think Jamie Lannister has one of the best character arcs in the entire book when you consider his past, present, and what may be his future. It's especially wild to me how Martin manages to take him from a hated character and turn him into one that the reader can be sympathetic towards.

That said, I completely agree that Martin does a great job of writing female characters.

underrated29
04-01-2013, 05:52 PM
they could torture, tear body parts off of him one by one, draw and quarter him, tar and feather him, burn him alive and it still wouldn't be enough to punish that psychotic little bastard Joff.

and that doesn't even begin to reach the depths of how bent his mother is.
that b**** is about as evil as you can be without being the devil.

I have my ex wife in my phone as queen cersei

ZONA
04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Are you the same one who thought the nudity, language and violence was excessive and wanted to watch it with the family?

Cant please everyone i guess.

Nope, that wasn't me. I could care less about the language and nudity is always cool in my book. There's enough movies out there made for kids, it's not like they're hurting for good material. If they make some shows for adults and want to show some tits, I'm down with that.

Houshyamama
04-01-2013, 09:21 PM

Sansa is by far the most boring character so far to me, Arya is awesome though.

IndelibleScribe
04-01-2013, 10:25 PM
I have my ex wife in my phone as queen cersei

lol post of the damn year :rofl:

v2micca
04-02-2013, 06:47 AM
I completely disagree with that. I personally think Jamie Lannister has one of the best character arcs in the entire book when you consider his past, present, and what may be his future. It's especially wild to me how Martin manages to take him from a hated character and turn him into one that the reader can be sympathetic towards.

That said, I completely agree that Martin does a great job of writing female characters.

This. I remember reading the series and being utterly amazed by the fact that I was genuinely rooting for Jaime by the end of the third book. And its not a cheep redemption either. He really does earn every drop of sympathy from the reader throughout his arc. Considering the fact that our introduction to him is throwing a child out a window after being caught banging his sister.....well, that is just an impressive turn around.

I know some have complained about Sansa being boring, and in the beginning she kind of is. However, he story line starts to finally gain some steam around the 3rd book. Her problem is that for the first part of the series, she really isn't a very proactive character. She is a character that things happen to, and that does become tedious after a while. She will eventually take more initiative and thus be more interesting. For now, her scenes are just a long setup.

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 07:55 AM
Jaime would be the classic hero if it wasn't for his relationship with Cercei. Think about it. He's a dashing warrior that helped win the throne and bring peace to the land. Then a the man who took the throne was a drunk who cheated on Jaime's sister and bankrupted the country. If the incident with Bran hadn't happened, he would be a hero in the story.

I also like how his dynamic changes when he learns about honor, justice and suffers his "injury" and has to reinvent himself. He's a very interesting character. Tyrion is still my favorite, though.

Old Dude
04-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Jack Gleeson is doing such a great job that he's going to get typecast for the rest of his life.

If some crazed fan doesn't take matters into their own hands. I hope this kid has a good set of bodyguards.

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Jack Gleeson is doing such a great job that he's going to get typecast for the rest of his life.

If some crazed fan doesn't take matters into their own hands. I hope this kid has a good set of bodyguards.

Gleeson is done with acting after Game of Thrones. He has no interest in it as a profession once he graduates school. He's apparently insanely smart and goes to a top college.

Shame IMO, he's a gifted actor.

Broncomutt
04-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Sansa is by far the most boring character so far to me, Arya is awesome though.

Completely agree. When I'd turn a page and see SANSA, I'd groan. I particuraly liked Arya, Brienne, Cersei (of course I hate her) and Cat. Hope we hear more about Uncat.

Arya's story arc was great, but is fading on me a little. How much time has passed between AGOT and ADWD? I tend to think 1-2 years, so I imagine her as a small 12-13 year old girl, which is making the assassin angle a little weird to envision.

Anybody know the one word Brienne shouts at the close of AFFC? Or is it supposed to be open to speculation?

LRtagger
04-02-2013, 09:04 AM

I would probably want to punch him in the face if I saw him in person

Boobs McGee
04-02-2013, 09:11 AM
I would probably want to punch him in the face if I saw him in person

http://pedestriantv-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images%2Farticle%2F2013%2F03%2F28%2FJack-Gleeson.jpg

Just a little fuel for the fire ;D

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 09:15 AM
He'll change his mind when the river of p***Y dries up.

Are we still talking about the Red Viper in this post? ;D

Boobs McGee
04-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Are we still talking about the Red Viper in this post? ;D

Trying to remember...is the Red Viper the badass from Dorne that mortally wounded the Mountain in that epic battle? And I haven't read the books in a while, so can't remember which one it was from, but i THOUGHT it was right around the same time as Joffrey getting murdered...so is there a possibility all of that happens this season?

Mat'hir Uth Gan
04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
Correct Boobs. He's also the guy that likes to take it up the pooper while he's banging various chicks.

I think all of those events should occur this season.

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Trying to remember...is the Red Viper the badass from Dorne that mortally wounded the Mountain in that epic battle? And I haven't read the books in a while, so can't remember which one it was from, but i THOUGHT it was right around the same time as Joffrey getting murdered...so is there a possibility all of that happens this season?

Yes. He also likes to dip his pen in any inkwell that is available.

DenverBroncosJM
04-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I liked Sansa in the book more than I do on the show. I can't stand her on the show maybe it's the actress I don't know.

spdirty
04-02-2013, 10:41 AM
I liked Sansa in the book more than I do on the show. I can't stand her on the show maybe it's the actress I don't know.

The only thing interesting about her is when she makes her little "I'm a princess and I'm better than you" snooty-snoot comments to her little staff underlings. Those little jabs make me laugh. Other than that, yeah, she's boring as hell.

She reminds me of my cousin. In fact, if you were to take my cousin out of the trailerpark, and throw a pile of money at her, she'd be a fat Sansa.

2KBack
04-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Jaime would be the classic hero if it wasn't for his relationship with Cercei. Think about it. He's a dashing warrior that helped win the throne and bring peace to the land. Then a the man who took the throne was a drunk who cheated on Jaime's sister and bankrupted the country. If the incident with Bran hadn't happened, he would be a hero in the story.

I also like how his dynamic changes when he learns about honor, justice and suffers his "injury" and has to reinvent himself. He's a very interesting character. Tyrion is still my favorite, though.

Claiming a favorite character is risky in this series.

*WARHORSE*
04-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Great series. Hope Martin doesnt kick it any time soon because Id like to read quite a few more of these books.

Kaylore
04-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Claiming a favorite character is risky in this series.

They're all dead meat. Martin immunized me to caring too deeply about any of his characters because he kills them all.