Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Rock Chalk
06-22-2011, 05:23 PM
I'd say there are several movies better than the books:

The Princess Bride
The Shawshank Redemption
Jaws

and others.

Generally these fall into the category of "Hey that book has an overall good story but the actual details are terrible, let's adapt it and make it better". It's roughly equivalent to why Empire Strikes back is far and away the best Star Wars movie -- Lucas wasn't involved in the details but rather just the overall story.

There there's the movies that are "based" on books but both are good for different reasons. A good example of that is Starship Troopers. The movie and the book are nothing alike -- not thematically, not based on plot or even basic characterization. However, both the book at the movie are "good" (IMHO). The movie is good because of its satirical content and the book is good because of its philosophical content (the book follows Rico's military career from his recruit days to high ranking officer days and is a examination of civic responsibility, sufferage and the realities of war and the people who fight).

In the case of Game of Thrones - I am impressed at the creators ability to take something that is a good on screen adaption of a much more "heady" story. By that I mean a lot of the content of the books is based on the inner monologue of the characters (Tyrion in particular) with the action sequences generally left primarily up to the reader's imagination. To see this type of novel adapted to screen in a terrible fashion, see the original Dune movie.

Such a shame. The dune novels were fantastic philosophical literature and the movie was a disgrace.

The Dune novels however, are nothing short of spectacular in the imagination and fully realized world that Herbert created. Only Tolkien, perhaps, created a richer world in Middle Earth (as far as history, languages, cultures, etc) but Herbert was a better writer and his world is nearly as deep. Such novels cannot accurately be made into movies, or really, even trilogies.

FEW movies are better than the books. THere are a lot of them on par with their book counter parts (the first two Harry Potter's were practically word for word with the books, after those two however, they start leaving a great deal of details out). MOST movies however are pale comparisons to their book counterparts and another great example of this is "Sphere". Horrendous movie but the book was extremely suspenseful and there was a feeling of overall dread throughout the book that never once came across in the movie.

Bronco Yoda
06-22-2011, 05:38 PM
We made a killer video game out of the license back in the day... created a whole new game play. Which then morphed into C&C and Red Alert. Sitting blurry-eyed in a dark office 3:00 in the morning tweaking mechanics over a T1 line until your eyes bled.

BroncsRule
06-23-2011, 06:52 AM
IMO, the Harry Potter series is a prime example where the movies live up to, and in some ways surpass, the sourse material. Because from book 3 on, Rowling was writing the novels with an eye to how the scenes would play out on screen. So she was creating a product that would transport very readily.

BroncsRule
06-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Regarding George Martin, as someone said earlier, he's a cat of a different stripe. The Song of Ice and Fire novels aren't really a fantasy series at all - they're finely crafted novels written in a low magic fantasy setting.

Totally agree about Rothfuss and Sanderson. Another relative newcomer I like a lot is Joe Abercrombe.

Also agree that Goodkind is worthless, and Robert Jordan

a) had no freakin' idea how to end his story, and

b) had Mommy Issues

TheReverend
06-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Regarding George Martin, as someone said earlier, he's a cat of a different stripe. The Song of Ice and Fire novels aren't really a fantasy series at all - they're finely crafted novels written in a low magic fantasy setting.

Totally agree about Rothfuss and Sanderson. Another relative newcomer I like a lot is Joe Abercrombe.

Also agree that Goodkind is worthless, and Robert Jordan

b) had Mommy Issues

lol oh come on, he WROTE the ending before he died, I just think his wife kept making him string it on since it's such a cash cow

lostknight
06-23-2011, 07:39 AM

Gonna disagree with you on Joe Abercombe. The Blade Itself trilogy was horrible. The Soprano's ending was completely pointless.

Robert Jordan
b) had Mommy Issues

I think he lost control of the story, but definitely was getting it back. Sanderson get's credit (rightfully so) for the phenomenal dragon-mount scene, but Jordan definitely laid the foundation for the story to get pulled back together.

I just read the first chapters of the new Mistborn book. Fantasy meets Western and steampunk. I love it.

TheReverend
06-23-2011, 07:50 AM
I think he lost control of the story, but definitely was getting it back. Sanderson get's credit (rightfully so) for the phenomenal dragon-mount scene, but Jordan definitely laid the foundation for the story to get pulled back together.

I just read the first chapters of the new Mistborn book. Fantasy meets Western and steampunk. I love it.

OMG you LIKED the Dragon Mount scene?!?!?!?!

I thought that was terrible! I was SO mad. If they end a Memory of Light with some introspective hippy **** like that (and there are some context clues to make me think they might), I'm gonna lose it.

Tarmon Gaidon needs to be a bigger Dumai's Wells and NOT a bigger Dragon Mount inner conflict.

Pseudofool
06-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Another example: American Psycho as a movie, is much, much better than the book. But by and large, books can do more with imagination than film can do with a screen.

TonyR
06-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Another example: American Psycho as a movie, is much, much better than the book. But by and large, books can do more with imagination than film can do with a screen.

Wow, you think so? You must not be a Bret Easton Ellis fan because I thought the book was far, far superior to the movie. Not even close. No way to portray all the stuff Ellis had going through Patrick Bateman's demented mind in the movie.

lostknight
07-01-2011, 04:11 PM
Book Spoilers for all the books. If you haven't read them, don't read this. {
Okay, after a re-read to get ready for a Dance of Dragons, after also watching the new series. It was interesting to see the minor changes - a certain member of the Brotherhood without Banners croaks way earlier, while Aemon tells Jon Snow his story, rathern the Mormont, and much earlier. Outside of that, and outside of a whole bunch of NC-17isms (which are fairly pointless, outside of the Jamie/Cersei scene), I think they really did a great job holding true to the series.

During the re-read, it was interesting what you notice that you missed before. After a re-read the evidence is pretty much overwhelming that Jon Snow is, in fact the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna. Is the vision that Dany has of Rhaegar Rhaegar and Lyanna, or his "true" wife? Not sure we know, but one way or another, the story is Jon's.

Dany is definitely Azor Ahai, but that's obvious the first time Melissindra starts babbling about dragons.

Anyways, only a Feast for Crows left for me to read, then on to the new book.

}

elsid13
07-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I think the lack of the dread wolves hurts the story. They are extremely important in the books and in the series they are afterthoughts.

underrated29
07-01-2011, 04:28 PM
IMO, the Harry Potter series is a prime example where the movies live up to, and in some ways surpass, the sourse material. Because from book 3 on, Rowling was writing the novels with an eye to how the scenes would play out on screen. So she was creating a product that would transport very readily.

See im the opposite. I read all the harry potters. I loved them. I loved the movies too. The movies are great and I agree they did a great job. But I still can not see how any one of those movies is even close to being better than the book it correlates to. The movies while very well done do not go into near the detail and leave out a lot of things the book contains. But different strokes for different folks.

As long as we can have a discussion about which is better the show game of thrones or the books..I will be happy because both must be pretty damn awesome!

McDman
07-02-2011, 05:16 AM
Wow, you think so? You must not be a Bret Easton Ellis fan because I thought the book was far, far superior to the movie. Not even close. No way to portray all the stuff Ellis had going through Patrick Bateman's demented mind in the movie.

I think Ellis is one of the most over rated authors we have. I've read a couple of his books because everyone raves about him and I've yet to like one. American Psycho was nothing more than mediocre.

McDman
07-02-2011, 05:18 AM
lol oh come on, he WROTE the ending before he died, I just think his wife kept making him string it on since it's such a cash cow

I tried reading those and they started out pretty good but by like book nine I just tapered out. It just drags on so long.

TonyR
07-02-2011, 07:22 AM
I think Ellis is one of the most over rated authors we have. I've read a couple of his books because everyone raves about him and I've yet to like one. American Psycho was nothing more than mediocre.

But did you think the movie was better than the book? I "liked" the movie but it certainly wasn't as good as the book. Impossible to even begin to convey everything that was in the book in the movie.

One of the best of examples of how things are lost in translation b/t books and movies are Stephen King novels. So much of his stories are often what goes on inside the character's heads. He writes what the characters are thinking in a very unique and powerful way. You just can't do that stuff on screen. It doesn't translate. American Psycho was similar in this respect. Doesn't mean the movies aren't "good", just that they can't do what the books do.

McDman
07-02-2011, 08:20 AM
But did you think the movie was better than the book? I "liked" the movie but it certainly wasn't as good as the book. Impossible to even begin to convey everything that was in the book in the movie.

One of the best of examples of how things are lost in translation b/t books and movies are Stephen King novels. So much of his stories are often what goes on inside the character's heads. He writes what the characters are thinking in a very unique and powerful way. You just can't do that stuff on screen. It doesn't translate. American Psycho was similar in this respect. Doesn't mean the movies aren't "good", just that they can't do what the books do.

The book was below average for me but the movie was just terrible.

TheReverend
07-02-2011, 09:05 AM
I tried reading those and they started out pretty good but by like book nine I just tapered out. It just drags on so long.

I don't disagree at all. It picks back up towards the end though!

McDman
07-02-2011, 12:52 PM

I had like 9 or 10 of the books and I just tried to find them a couple months ago and they were gone. Maybe someday I'll try again.

BroncsRule
07-02-2011, 01:17 PM
I had like 9 or 10 of the books and I just tried to find them a couple months ago and they were gone. Maybe someday I'll try again.

You know, it had been probably 5 or 6 years since I had read any of those books, and I picked up "the gathering storm" in paper back a couple months ago. I was thiking I should go back and re-read at least the last one, (knife of Dreams?) in order to "catch up" (I couldn't recall much of what was going on with the principle characters) - but I decided to just plunge in, and Sanderson has done a really good job of re-introducing the characters, and re-grounding the reader in the universe.

Sanderson is a hell of a writer.

BroncsRule
07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Jordan was SO bogged down, and so little actually happened to move the story forward in those last 2 or 3 books, that you frankly could jump in with Gathering Storm and you won't have missed a thing.

Just a lot of very cross looks and arms folded under breasts.

BroncsRule
07-02-2011, 01:37 PM
"New Spring", the prequel novel Jordan put out in '03 or '04 is a fun read.

Moraine and Siuan as Accepted, 22 years before "Eye of The World".

Bob's your Information Minister
07-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Local library has a FORTY PERSON wait list on GoT.

HooptyHoops
07-02-2011, 03:49 PM

I loved the Jordan series, but as mentioned, it just kind of flamed out by book 9 and I know I purchased book 10 and haven't still haven't read it, as book 9 just really didn't make want to go out to read the new book.
You say it picks back up toward the end, but how many books are out there?

Any other authors you would suggest, as I totally loved the first 6 or 7 books of that series and I have yet to find another author that I can dive into, as I stopped reading that Jordan series over a decade ago....

scorpio
07-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Local library has a FORTY PERSON wait list on GoT.

Spend the $7 Wendler.

Boobs McGee
08-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Off topic bump- just got HBO with comcast, but Game of Thrones isn't listed in the On Demand section....any ideas?

DenverBroncosJM
08-01-2011, 08:40 AM
OMG you LIKED the Dragon Mount scene?!?!?!?!

I thought that was terrible! I was SO mad. If they end a Memory of Light with some introspective hippy **** like that (and there are some context clues to make me think they might), I'm gonna lose it.

Tarmon Gaidon needs to be a bigger Dumai's Wells and NOT a bigger Dragon Mount inner conflict.

I have to agree with Rev here. He has 7 books of increasing madness/visions etc and in one chapter of the book he is "healed" it was rushed and it came across that way. I love what Sanderson is doing with the story but this part seemed like it was dropped in his lap and he had to make the best of it

bronco militia
08-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Off topic bump- just got HBO with comcast, but Game of Thrones isn't listed in the On Demand section....any ideas?

it looks like they are not on comcast on demand. They rotate movies and hbo series from month to month.

I think you can log into comcast.com and watch them for free if you have HBO.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Game-of-Thrones/106696/full-episodes

Old Dude
08-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Book Spoilers for all the books. If you haven't read them, don't read this. ...(spoilers omitted)

Ha! You might want to adjust one or two of those predictions after you finish Dances with Dragons. But I will say no more.

Boobs McGee
08-01-2011, 08:59 AM
it looks like they are not on comcast on demand. They rotate movies and hbo series from month to month.

I think you can log into comcast.com and watch them for free if you have HBO.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/Game-of-Thrones/106696/full-episodes

mother eff bomb, that's ridiculous. Thanks for the help though, I guess that's what I'll have to do for now :(

TheReverend
08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
mother eff bomb, that's ridiculous. Thanks for the help though, I guess that's what I'll have to do for now :(

You can find ANYTHING on the internet. All I'm sayin.

DenverBroncosJM
08-01-2011, 09:35 AM
And sometimes it's free if you look hard enough

misturanderson
08-01-2011, 10:01 AM
And it's always free if you look for about 3 seconds
Fixed it for you.

Fedaykin
08-01-2011, 12:13 PM

HBO only streams content from hbogo.com. They don't allow third party streaming like Netflix, Hulu or Comcast.

However, subscription to hbogo.com is free if you have HBO through a cable provider. Go to that website and it will let you sign in with your comcast u/p. (choose Xfinity)

There's also an android and iphone app =P

Boobs McGee
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
haha thanks for all the replies...my roomate and I have switched back and forth between starz and hbo for the last couple years as the series we like come out, and THIS time, after everyone's reviews, I was really excited to switch back and have it available. I didn't do the research, just assumed they'd have it on demand :(

The ****TY part is, my pc doesn't have any HDMI outs, and it's about twenty feet from my tv...so I'd have to buy an HDMI to DVI cord, and a 3.5 mm to RCA cable (don't have surround sound or a reciever at the moment), and that's just waaaaay to much cash to blow on one show.

So, for now, I'll just watch it on my computer :( Again, my own damn fault for not researching more haha.

Boobs McGee
08-29-2011, 11:56 AM
HOLY ****!!!! Can not believe how much I wanted sansa to push that little biotch geoffrey off of that catwalk.

This series completely consumed my roomate and I....watched all of the episodes in a two day span. Incredible job by all involved. The acting was superb, violence was graphic but believable, and that story line is just incredible. I'm going to read the books next, but just had to pop in and say WOW. **** you geoffrey, **** you jaime, **** you queen of the veil, tyrion YOU'RE cool, and **** you allisor, I'm out.

PRBronco
09-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Bump. Ok so I finished watching the series, and am starting with the books. It's pretty sweet, but can anyone recommend similar reading that doesn't make me want to off myself? Maybe something where maybe once or twice the main character has something, anything, good happen to him?

TheReverend
09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Bump. Ok so I finished watching the series, and am starting with the books. It's pretty sweet, but can anyone recommend similar reading that doesn't make me want to off myself? Maybe something where maybe once or twice the main character has something, anything, good happen to him?

Haha, I'm almost done with the 4th and Jesus he loves to hack and slash his own main characters to bits.

TheReverend
09-27-2011, 03:29 PM
http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/66/21/82f7a64874eadd6eecbe146c33e849ae.jpg

http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/50/34/ab8c90c73f9d0727f43276ad0d5bdf92.jpg

http://3.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/20/18/b5e04fa58aae14278b4a387308d6f5f9.jpg

http://3.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/62/52/52ecd08932c26a30c83a5de717fe2f75.jpg

http://7.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/86/74/7cc9f9d37e00d912f61f6006e116fcb8.jpg

http://4.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/78/91/4d2556507a21dde939fdbb36807f3acc.jpg

http://1.media.dorkly.cvcdn.com/71/29/11eb29547956021829576830641ec758.jpg

mkporter
09-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Haha, I'm almost done with the 4th and Jesus he loves to hack and slash his own main characters to bits.

Yeah, you almost get desensitized to it. I just started watching the series (I read the books several years ago, haven't read the new one yet) and had forgotten how pretty much everyone gets f*&ked either literally or figuratively. I think that is why he needs so many characters. If he had a normal character list, everyone would have been dead by the second book.

TheReverend
10-05-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah, you almost get desensitized to it. I just started watching the series (I read the books several years ago, haven't read the new one yet) and had forgotten how pretty much everyone gets f*&ked either literally or figuratively. I think that is why he needs so many characters. If he had a normal character list, everyone would have been dead by the second book.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnboeruC9g1qltb20o1_500.jpg

mkporter
10-05-2011, 10:25 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnboeruC9g1qltb20o1_500.jpg

LOL

Broncomutt
11-23-2011, 06:18 AM
~bump

Just finished A Dance with Dragons! Wow, what a great story! Took me about 4 months to finish all 5 books, half tempted to read them again.

HBO did a great job with the film adaptation too! Great diversion when Broncos are playing crappy football.

Books and series both highly recommended.

TheReverend
11-28-2011, 11:30 AM
~bump

Just finished A Dance with Dragons! Wow, what a great story! Took me about 4 months to finish all 5 books, half tempted to read them again.

HBO did a great job with the film adaptation too! Great diversion when Broncos are playing crappy football.

Books and series both highly recommended.

I also finished it last week. Completely love the story and excited for the HBO show as well.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N3--MIgihGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pE12H1HorUU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Really good fan video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2BZr7cTcvQ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fedaykin
11-30-2011, 02:47 PM
I started re-reading the whole series when the GoT series premiered -- and I'm finally about half way through ADwD.

Re-reading the series I'm growing more and more concerned about how they can possibly adapt it into a series with ~10eps/book. So much nuance will be lost with that little screen time, and it will likely be nothing but a shell of the book.

Not to mention the actress playing Arya (and the other child actors) will be 30 years old by the time they get to the end, ha! I forsee the need for a lot of casting changes and/or a fairly radial reinterpretation of the characters and timeline.

Regardless, this adaptation already far surpasses the disgustingly terrible attempt to adapt the Sword of Truth series (Legend of the Seeker). Of course, that endeavor was doomed to a short run from the beginning due to the vast drop off in quality after book 3.

Broncomutt
12-01-2011, 07:33 AM
I don't usually go in for fantasy novels, I prefer historical fiction better. But these books read like historical novels, with a good bit of Martin's imagination to spice it up.

Hope they pull off some of the great scenes from the books. The Massacre on the Fist of Men,The Siege of Castle Black (burning the switchback), the Clegane/Martell duel, The Red Wedding. A toast to King Joffrey!

And the best one should be this season, the Battle of Blackwater Rush. :devil:

How long until The Winds of Winter?

Oh, and Melisandre's "coochie ninja"! :rofl:

TheReverend
12-15-2011, 12:24 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sBrsM_WlfV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TheReverend
12-15-2011, 12:29 PM
the Clegane/Martell duel

Oberyn is my favorite character in the series to date. Way too much like me. Awesome yet arrogant to a downfall.

Broncomutt
12-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Oberyn is my favorite character in the series to date. Way too much like me. Awesome yet arrogant to a downfall.

Oberyn, really? Won't question a person's opinion, but he's kind of a secondary character until the duel, and then...

But I do remember reading that chapter 3x over before moving on, my jaw just hit the floor. A Storm of Swords was definitely my favorite of the 5 books.

Unfortunately, if he keeps with containing the stories geographically rather than chronologically, looks like we're in for alot of Sansa in the next one. Just hopes he gives a clue to the fate of my 2nd favorite character, the Lord Commander. Did not like the way ADWD ended. Et tu Brute?!

Just bought a copy of The Hedge Knight today too.

Delightub
12-22-2011, 02:03 PM
no but they seem very interesting...

TheReverend
12-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Oberyn, really? Won't question a person's opinion, but he's kind of a secondary character until the duel, and then...

But I do remember reading that chapter 3x over before moving on, my jaw just hit the floor. A Storm of Swords was definitely my favorite of the 5 books.

Unfortunately, if he keeps with containing the stories geographically rather than chronologically, looks like we're in for alot of Sansa in the next one. Just hopes he gives a clue to the fate of my 2nd favorite character, the Lord Commander. Did not like the way ADWD ended. Et tu Brute?!

Just bought a copy of The Hedge Knight today too.

Absolutely Oberyn. Secondary character and all.

I DID like the way it ended. That air of mystique and never feeling that the characters are safe certainly set the story apart from others.

Storm of Swords was my favorite too. Too many monster events and jaw dropping moments, imo.

underrated29
12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I just finished storm of swords and am 100 pages in to the next one. Crowns for crows or something. I love it.

I would say storm of swords is also my fav of the 3 i have read so far. Some of the twists I did not ever see coming and I usually am one to see those kinds of things..But the whole........ Spoilers--

[bran being dead but not dead and then lady stark with the same thing? I am not far enough in the 4th book to know for sure if caitlyn stark is alive or not, but she was there in the first chapter of it....just crazy completely caught me off guard. I love it!

I hope there is a lot of bran in the 4th book. Im really anxious to see what comes of him and the 3 eyed crow man or whatever they called him]

I had heard that they are breaking up season 3 into two seasons..? Is that accurate? If so, the guy a few posts up might be right. By the time they, A get the books finished, and B get the filming done they might have to recast tons of people...If they are still alive that is.

Broncomutt
12-23-2011, 11:46 AM
Another book I love is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.

Not fantasy, it's historical fiction centered during The Anarchy in England.

It's about the building of a cathedral. Sounds boring I know, but it is every bit as suspenseful as ASOIAF.

Dunno who I hate more Cersei Lannister or William Hamleigh.

There's a mini-series on it, but they mostly failed.

Anybody have recommendations along this vein, I appreciate it.

TheReverend
12-23-2011, 12:21 PM

It's about the building of a cathedral. Sounds boring I know, but it is every bit as suspenseful as ASOIAF.

WoT

Taco John
01-18-2012, 04:29 PM
bump

Boogerboots
01-18-2012, 05:17 PM
I guess I caught on late to this show. I definitely would like to check out the books. Haven`t read them yet but based on the shows I`ve seen, this one is one of the absolute best series I have seen.

Just a few more episodes left to go and I will be looking forward to season 2 in a few months.

myMind
01-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Season 2 airs April 1 in the U.S, and April2 in the U.K.
Filming locations this season included Iceland, Croatia, and Ireland.

Kaylore
01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the bump, Taco! looking forward to season 2. The imp rules. Too bad he's a Lanister.

mkporter
01-18-2012, 06:31 PM

Pillars of the Earth is an awesome book, and if anyone in this thread hasn't read it, they should. Did you read the sequel? Not as good, but still worth reading, IMO.

I did just read "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, and it was pretty good. First book of an unfinished trilogy, however. Not as intricate as Pillars or GoT, but an interesting world and good story.

Turd_Ferguson
01-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Pillars of the Earth is an awesome book, and if anyone in this thread hasn't read it, they should. Did you read the sequel? Not as good, but still worth reading, IMO.

I did just read "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss, and it was pretty good. First book of an unfinished trilogy, however. Not as intricate as Pillars or GoT, but an interesting world and good story.

Pillars was ok.... found myself getting angry at characters for the situations they put themselves in.. Lonesome Dove is a good historical fiction, although different time period than Pillars of the Earth. I like the characters MUCH better in Lonesome Dove. I like David Gemmell a lot too, his Troy series was pretty awesome.

cutthemdown
01-18-2012, 07:10 PM
I watched the whole season in about 3 weeks when my friend turned me on to the program on HBO. I wish it has a bit more action, but its very good and engrossing.

It's not as fun as The Walking Dead or Spartacus though.

Turd_Ferguson
01-18-2012, 07:13 PM
I watched the whole season in about 3 weeks when my friend turned me on to the program on HBO. I wish it has a bit more action, but its very good and engrossing.

It's not as fun as The Walking Dead or Spartacus though.

Oh I dunno... Spartacus is pretty cool for what it is, but the writing and presentation of Game of Thrones is EPIC in comparison... If you take the hot naked women out of Spartacus I would probably lose interest!

cutthemdown
01-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Oh I dunno... Spartacus is pretty cool for what it is, but the writing and presentation of Game of Thrones is EPIC in comparison... If you take the hot naked women out of Spartacus I would probably lose interest!

Oh I agree 100% Thats why i said I feel Walking Dead and Spartacus are funner to watch. They aren't acting, writing wise, on the same level as Game of Thrones. Spartacus in particular.

Maybe once the dragons get flying around Game of Thrones will be more fun to watch, and not just wow this is really interesting and good. I feel like I need more action, something.

robbieopperude
01-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Game of Thrones Rocks.

Turd_Ferguson
01-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Oh I agree 100% Thats why i said I feel Walking Dead and Spartacus are funner to watch. They aren't acting, writing wise, on the same level as Game of Thrones. Spartacus in particular.

Maybe once the dragons get flying around Game of Thrones will be more fun to watch, and not just wow this is really interesting and good. I feel like I need more action, something.

Yea I kept waiting for everything to get crazy on GoT and it never really did.... It was on the verge all season, and then the Shocking conclusion left me confused and feeling a little ripped off by the Ned Stark Character. Great show though, plan on reading the books.

Whereas Spartacus you need to wait about 5 minutes for the dirtiest sex and violence known to man :~ohyah!:

robbieopperude
01-18-2012, 07:59 PM
Spartacus also rocks.

I would also recommend checking out the 2 seasons of Rome. They were good.

Ratboy
01-18-2012, 08:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/us1Pv.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Spartacus also rocks.

I would also recommend checking out the 2 seasons of Rome. They were good.

Yea I should watch them.. I have always held a bit of a grudge since Rome replaced Deadwood which was awesome!

MrPeepers
01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
just started storm of swords.

scorpio
01-18-2012, 08:55 PM
just started storm of swords.

Best book.

robbieopperude
01-18-2012, 09:06 PM
Yea I should watch them.. I have always held a bit of a grudge since Rome replaced Deadwood which was awesome!

I would get over the grudge. Its graphic and political just like Spartacus.

Old Dude
01-19-2012, 05:39 AM
I finished Dances with Dragons several months ago and am eagerly awaiting season two of the TV series.

In the meantime, for anyone else who has finished it all and who enjoys the kind of gritty fantasy, character development and political maneuvering you see in GoT, let me suggest Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" series. Three books make up the core trilogy, followed by two stand-alone novels ("Best Served Cold" and "The Heroes") Honestly, I enjoyed this series even more than GoT.

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 06:23 AM
I finished Dances with Dragons several months ago and am eagerly awaiting season two of the TV series.

In the meantime, for anyone else who has finished it all and who enjoys the kind of gritty fantasy, character development and political maneuvering you see in GoT, let me suggest Joe Abercrombie's "First Law" series. Three books make up the core trilogy, followed by two stand-alone novels ("Best Served Cold" and "The Heroes") Honestly, I enjoyed this series even more than GoT.

I'll look into this.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Best book.

HANDS DOWN. Caps intended.

supermanhr9
01-19-2012, 10:46 AM
I have read all 5 and was left pissed off.... until I saw #6 is in the future and is the final. I just wanted some damn closure on some stuff and #5 does not give you any!!!!

Storm of Swords best one for sure....

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 10:55 AM
I have read all 5 and was left pissed off.... until I saw #6 is in the future and is the final. I just wanted some damn closure on some stuff and #5 does not give you any!!!!

Storm of Swords best one for sure....

Wtf... no way they can finish this all up with 1 more...

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

It probably doesn't hurt that George has said the exact same thing.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 10:58 AM

^ confirmed. As is they have 7 planned:

# Title Pages Chapters Audio Earliest Release
1. A Game of Thrones 807 (704 hardcover) 77 33h 53m August 1996
2. A Clash of Kings 969 (784 hardcover) 70 37h 17m November 1998
3. A Storm of Swords 1128 (992 hardcover) 82 47h 37m August 2000
4. A Feast for Crows 976 (784 hardcover) 46 31h 10m October 2005
5. A Dance with Dragons (959 hardcover) 73 48h 56m July 2011
6. The Winds of Winter[15] (Forthcoming)
7. A Dream of Spring[16] (Forthcoming)

Keep in mind this was intended to be a TRILOGY Hilarious!

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 11:02 AM
^ confirmed. As is they have 7 planned:

# Title Pages Chapters Audio Earliest Release
1. A Game of Thrones 807 (704 hardcover) 77 33h 53m August 1996
2. A Clash of Kings 969 (784 hardcover) 70 37h 17m November 1998
3. A Storm of Swords 1128 (992 hardcover) 82 47h 37m August 2000
4. A Feast for Crows 976 (784 hardcover) 46 31h 10m October 2005
5. A Dance with Dragons (959 hardcover) 73 48h 56m July 2011
6. The Winds of Winter[15] (Forthcoming)
7. A Dream of Spring[16] (Forthcoming)

Keep in mind this was intended to be a TRILOGY Hilarious!

I just hope he doesn't croak before its done.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
I just hope he doesn't croak before its done.

"Don't worry about it. I feel fine."

http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1175475715p5/6252.jpg

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 11:25 AM
"Don't worry about it. I feel fine."

http://photo.goodreads.com/authors/1175475715p5/6252.jpg

LOL

Exactly. And Martin looks worse.

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/George-RR-Martin.jpg?cb5e28

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:27 AM
LOL

Exactly. And Martin looks worse.

http://nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/George-RR-Martin.jpg?cb5e28

I have to admit, as much as I love the guy and his work, I often wonder if he was ****ing his sister growing up or if he's a pedophile considering some of the bertstare worthy portions of the plot.

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 11:32 AM
I have to admit, as much as I love the guy and his work, I often wonder if he was ****ing his sister growing up or if he's a pedophile considering some of the bertstare worthy portions of the plot.

Possibly. I think he's also a student of history and a lot of that stuff is just how it was. It can seem excessive, but there is no Judeo-Christian ethic in his world, so the baseline is different.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Possibly. I think he's also a student of history and a lot of that stuff is just how it was. It can seem excessive, but there is no Judeo-Christian ethic in his world, so the baseline is different.

Maybe. Sort of on that note: I think Rh'llor and the red priests etc are a direct play into Christianity.

Dutch
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM

He has stated on more than one occasion that the ages of the characters is the one thing he would change, making them a couple of years older. He said it was his historical research into Europe during the "Dark Ages" that led him to set the ages as young as he did initially. I'm in the middle of "Storm", but am going to have to start it over as I put it down 6 months ago due to work picking up and football season. End of January/February are always my best book reading months. Looking forward to getting back into them, but not sure I want to with season 2 starting up so soon (sometimes knowing what happens way down the road takes away from the enjoyment of the show). As for Rome, watch it Turd! Remember that HBO didn't cancel Deadwood because of Rome. If anything you can blame John, from Cincinnati that Milch was doing for HBO as well. HBO didn't want to pay the cast of Deadwood to hang around for 4 months waiting for Milch to get done. Rome is a must do, Turd. You won't regret it. You'll just be PO'ed again as the writer's strike killed Rome after season 2 for the same reasons Deadwood was done in. Money; in particular, the actor's salaries that HBO didn't want to pay waiting for production to start.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 12:08 PM
He has stated on more than one occasion that the ages of the characters is the one thing he would change, making them a couple of years older. He said it was his historical research into Europe during the "Dark Ages" that led him to set the ages as young as he did initially. I'm in the middle of "Storm", but am going to have to start it over as I put it down 6 months ago due to work picking up and football season. End of January/February are always my best book reading months. Looking forward to getting back into them, but not sure I want to with season 2 starting up so soon (sometimes knowing what happens way down the road takes away from the enjoyment of the show). As for Rome, watch it Turd! Remember that HBO didn't cancel Deadwood because of Rome. If anything you can blame John, from Cincinnati that Milch was doing for HBO as well. HBO didn't want to pay the cast of Deadwood to hang around for 4 months waiting for Milch to get done. Rome is a must do, Turd. You won't regret it. You'll just be PO'ed again as the writer's strike killed Rome after season 2 for the same reasons Deadwood was done in. Money; in particular, the actor's salaries that HBO didn't want to pay waiting for production to start.

Excuse me sir, but you have an email to focus on :)

Mr.Meanie
01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
The only thing I'm unsure about with the HBO version is Arya's age. By the time they get to Storm the actress playing Arya will be waaaay older than in the books. IMO her age is such a major part of her character arc with all the things that happen to her. I wonder if they are just going to go with it and ignore the book version of her.

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 12:13 PM

First, I have seen both seasons of Rome. It was awesome. Lucius Verenus and Titus Polo are one of the best duos I've ever seen on a TV show of any kind. I think them killing the show after the second season had more to do with it being really, really high budget and that it was a co-op with BBC production. They usually do only two seasons and a special for a lot of their shows, where in the US we try to wring them out until they die. I agree the morals and whatnot are very similar to GOT and you can see the cultural acceptance and abhorrence of some things totally off.

Second, why do you keep calling me turd? And why are you capitalizing it?

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 12:17 PM
The only thing I'm unsure about with the HBO version is Arya's age. By the time they get to Storm the actress playing Arya will be waaaay older than in the books. IMO her age is such a major part of her character arc with all the things that happen to her. I wonder if they are just going to go with it and ignore the book version of her.

I think it fits an adolescent pretty well, really.

Dutch
01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
First, I have seen both seasons of Rome. It was awesome. Lucius Verenus and Titus Polo are one of the best duos I've ever seen on a TV show of any kind. I think them killing the show after the second season had more to do with it being really, really high budget and that it was a co-op with BBC production. They usually do only two seasons and a special for a lot of their shows, where in the US we try to wring them out until they die. I agree the morals and whatnot are very similar to GOT and you can see the cultural acceptance and abhorrence of some things totally off.

Sorry Kaylore, I was referencing Turd Fergy's comment about Rome...my bad, should have put his quote in there. I totally agree about Lucius and Titus and you are correct about the costs (it was at that time the most expensive show on a seasonal basis that HBO had ever done), but the writer's strike was also key. Italy is the most expensive place in the world to film, and much of the show was shot there (50-60% if memory serves). HBO and BBC were not willing to continue to pay all the location fees, permit fees (and there were an embarrassment of those), actor's salaries, etc. when no one knew how long the strike would last. There were supposed to be two or three more seasons in the origional plan.

As for you, Rev:
Mr."Excuse me sir, but you have an email to focus on "!
I want to thank you for passing a half a sip of my beer through my nose!Hilarious!

And don't call me "Sir", I work for a living.;)

You're next up this afternoon. I'm going to get me another beer, have a smoke, then we'll get back to Boot Camp...Sir, yes Sir!

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Sir, yes Sir!

East coast, huh?

Gross.

Dutch
01-19-2012, 12:53 PM
East coast, huh?

Gross.

Ah, I'm in Atlanta...not so bad. 60F today. Nice out. Smoke done, beer recharged. Heading over to E-mail to get it out to you next. Totally bummed that I lost the one I did for you the other night. Organic flow...just poured out clean. Hope I get into that flow again.

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Ah, I'm in Atlanta...not so bad. 60F today. Nice out. Smoke done, beer recharged. Heading over to E-mail to get it out to you next. Totally bummed that I lost the one I did for you the other night. Organic flow...just poured out clean. Hope I get into that flow again.

I meant the start and finish with "sir" is indicative of east coast/parris island. Hollywood is where they make men :)

And you LOST it?! Wtfffffffff

McDman
01-19-2012, 01:26 PM
I can't wait til the new book comes out, in like 5 years! Gaaaaah!

I gave up on WOT, book 8 is just so boring. I couldn't take it anymore.

McDman
01-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Apparently they are making a movie.

And another season of Arrested Development and a movie!

TheReverend
01-19-2012, 01:31 PM

I know what you mean but it DOES pick back up.

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 01:34 PM
Apparently they are making a movie.

And another season of Arrested Development and a movie!

(to Dutch too) They are Making a movie of Rome? How, is that when one of the main characters (NO SPOILERS) died at the end of season 2?

McDman
01-19-2012, 02:12 PM
(to Dutch too) They are Making a movie of Rome? How, is that when one of the main characters (NO SPOILERS) died at the end of season 2?

If I remember correctly didn't they just lay him down at the end? I read they technically could pull of not having him die.

Archer81
01-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Are you guys talking about the show, Rome? And if you are, I recall alot of people dying. It was not a unique way to be written out of the storyline.

:Broncos:

McDman
01-19-2012, 02:19 PM
http://screenrant.com/hbo-rome-movie-details-kofi-47487/

Kaylore
01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
If I remember correctly didn't they just lay him down at the end? I read they technically could pull of not having him die.

I guess that's true. He's mortally wounded and then it cuts to Titus talking to Egyptian boy as they walk through the Forum.

Archer81
01-19-2012, 03:56 PM
I guess that's true. He's mortally wounded and then it cuts to Titus talking to Egyptian boy as they walk through the Forum.

Egyptian boy my ass. We know who that kid is.

McDman
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
Did you guys like Starz' version of Spartacus? It's pretty entertaining besides all of the peen.

Archer81
01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Did you guys like Starz' version of Spartacus? It's pretty entertaining besides all of the peen.

I do, but it took awhile for me to get into it, peen abundance aside. The writing early on was horrible and the actors seemed stilted as hell. About midseason they got into a groove and things were ok.

Then the peen was a bonus side, and not the err...meal so to speak.

McDman
01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
I do, but it took awhile for me to get into it, peen abundance aside. The writing early on was horrible and the actors seemed stilted as hell. About midseason they got into a groove and things were ok.

Then the peen was a bonus side, and not the err...meal so to speak.

Haha, yeah. I figured it wouldn't bother you too much.

It was pretty entertaining. Not as good as Rome though.

Archer81
01-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Haha, yeah. I figured it wouldn't bother you too much.

It was pretty entertaining. Not as good as Rome though.

Rome was pretty good. I wish it was on Netflix...but heaven forbid Netflix make a deal with HBO to get better programming. Starz...really?

McDman
01-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Rome was pretty good. I wish it was on Netflix...but heaven forbid Netflix make a deal with HBO to get better programming. Starz...really?

I know. I just looked for it earlier tonight, actually. I'm close to cancelling it. The streaming Netflix is pretty poor.

robbieopperude
01-19-2012, 09:32 PM

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena :notworthy

RhymesayersDU
01-20-2012, 06:35 AM
WHEN DOES GAME OF OWNS COME BACK? NOT SOON ENOUGH.

Broncomutt
01-20-2012, 06:40 AM

Got about 100 pages into World Without End before, ironically, somebody handed me GoT. I'll get back to it someday, but all opinions I've heard have been the same as yours, worth the read but not as good as Pillars.

I'm reading another story in the ASOIAF realm right now, The Hedge Knight. Very good so far, especially if you like the the trial by combat stories. 7 vs 7

v2micca
01-20-2012, 07:13 AM

You thought Book 8 was boring? You obviously did not have the fortitude (i.e. misguided loyalty induced by head injury) to stick with the series until book 10. That was when the series truly reached its nadir. It was almost impressive the level of suckitude the series achieved in that volume, if you could somehow forget that you just shelled out $35 for the hardcover.

McDman
01-20-2012, 07:22 AM
You thought Book 8 was boring? You obviously did not have the fortitude (i.e. misguided loyalty induced by head injury) to stick with the series until book 10. That was when the series truly reached its nadir. It was almost impressive the level of suckitude the series achieved in that volume, if you could somehow forget that you just shelled out $35 for the hardcover.

Haha, I bought the $4.95 paper back. I just don't want to read 250 pages about the women and bickering before I get to something of interest. I'm thinking I'm just going to read the synopsis of 8 and 9 and skip to 10.

I've honestly tried reading it like four times but I get like 10 pages in and my mind wanders because it's so boring.

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 09:00 AM

That's the one where absolutely nothing happens over 1000 pages, right? In between (avoiding spoilers by using keywords) saidin and his hand? If so, good lord that was awful. If you didnt have about 10k worth of pages read by that point, most wouldve quit the series, imo.

TheReverend
01-20-2012, 09:02 AM
Haha, I bought the $4.95 paper back. I just don't want to read 250 pages about the women and bickering before I get to something of interest. I'm thinking I'm just going to read the synopsis of 8 and 9 and skip to 10.

I've honestly tried reading it like four times but I get like 10 pages in and my mind wanders because it's so boring.

The end of 9 is REALLY, REALLY cool. Not Dumai's Wells cool, but way up there.

Boobs McGee
01-26-2012, 09:19 PM
<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lW9L9Mp4Ia0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lW9L9Mp4Ia0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

TheReverend
01-27-2012, 06:16 AM
^ Didn't even smile

Boobs McGee
01-27-2012, 07:51 AM
^ Didn't even think you would

v2micca
01-27-2012, 09:04 AM
That's the one where absolutely nothing happens over 1000 pages, right? In between (avoiding spoilers by using keywords) saidin and his hand? If so, good lord that was awful. If you didnt have about 10k worth of pages read by that point, most wouldve quit the series, imo.

Indeed. That was the book that broke me in fact. As you said, I had 10k worth of pages invested in this series at that point. But after book 10, I would never read an entire Wheel of Time novel again. The last three books I have only read the Rand, Mat, and Perrin chapters. I skip everything else and read the helpful online summaries to fill in what little I may miss.

TheReverend
01-29-2012, 08:49 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rOzXsqoJhtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mkporter
01-29-2012, 09:55 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rOzXsqoJhtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aaaaaannnnndd..... I'm spent.

ZONA
01-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Dinklage was pretty amazing in the 1st series. His acting was so much better then everybody.

TheReverend
01-30-2012, 07:03 AM

Had a similar reaction

http://www.naughtybits.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/southpark-cum.jpg

Dutch
01-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Agreed. HBO has season 1 and a couple of 2 min peaks at the locations used in season 2 available On Demand right now and running through 7/30. Can't wait. Book 2 was a step above book 1, and 3 is even better....nice.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
01-30-2012, 10:19 AM
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2u.swf?vid=1234943"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die&copyShareURL=http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true%26vid=1234943%26filter=game-of-thrones%26view=null"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2u.swf?vid=1234943" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die&copyShareURL=http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true%26vid=1234943%26filter=game-of-thrones%26view=null" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object><br><div><a title="Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die" href="http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?view=grid&vid=1234943&autoplay=true">Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die</a></div>

Kaylore
01-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Egyptian boy my ass. We know who that kid is.

Titus Pullo reporting for duty!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0aOG2hyhyievg2zGYA3JrFyGskQerN EE3T3FXN_NLarOqPCwBYa1sEJJURw

cutthemdown
01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
I know. I just looked for it earlier tonight, actually. I'm close to cancelling it. The streaming Netflix is pretty poor.

The original girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy worth watching on netflix. Also both the IP MAN movies.

underrated29
01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
<object width="512" height="288"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2u.swf?vid=1234943"></param><param name="FlashVars" value="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die&copyShareURL=http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true%26vid=1234943%26filter=game-of-thrones%26view=null"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.hbo.com/bin/hboPlayerV2u.swf?vid=1234943" FlashVars="domain=http://www.hbo.com&videoTitle=Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die&copyShareURL=http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true%26vid=1234943%26filter=game-of-thrones%26view=null" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="512" height="288"></embed></object><br><div><a title="Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die" href="http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html?view=grid&vid=1234943&autoplay=true">Season 2: Preview - You Win or You Die</a></div>

Gimme Gimme Gimme!!

Im halfway through book 4. Not liking it so much, still good but, after all that happens in 3, well I guess there needs to be a little setting up to do, an arranging of the pawns so to speak.

April 1st can not get here fast enough. I just hope they do as good a job with season 2 as 1. And I would like them to draw it out a bit longer but whatever. I still want want want.

myMind
01-30-2012, 04:28 PM

If that is Mellisandre in the first shot with Stannis, which it probably is, than once again they are changing the appearance of an important character. I may be a bit of a stickler for this type of thing(why weren't the wights hands black?), but Mellisandre is supposed to have red eyes damnit. Is it really that difficult to change eye color with cg or contacts? Sure, contacts may be uncomfortable and cg expensive, but isnt it a relatively small price(figuratively) to pay in order to include aspects of the novels that really add flavor to a character? Again, I know I'm over reacting, maybe when the show actually starts it'll turn out that her eyes only glow red when she is communing with r'hllor or something.

TheReverend
01-30-2012, 04:36 PM
If that is Mellisandre in the first shot with Stannis, which it probably is, than once again they are changing the appearance of an important character. I may be a bit of a stickler for this type of thing(why weren't the wights hands black?), but Mellisandre is supposed to have red eyes damnit. Is it really that difficult to change eye color with cg or contacts? Sure, contacts may be uncomfortable and cg expensive, but isnt it a relatively small price(figuratively) to pay in order to include aspects of the novels that really add flavor to a character? Again, I know I'm over reacting, maybe when the show actually starts it'll turn out that her eyes only glow red when she is communing with r'hllor or something.

It's pretty shadowed so I think you might be overreacting...

myMind
01-30-2012, 04:42 PM
It's pretty shadowed so I think you might be overreacting...

Its possible, but it sure looks like she has light colored eyes. Which would take away from the mystical aspect of her characters appearance. Ill wait and see.

Dutch
02-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Amazon is taking pre-orders for Season 1 at $44.99 for the Blu-ray edition, $34.99 for the DVD. It will be released on March 6. Think I'm going to take the plunge on these. Really looking forward to Season 2.

TheReverend
02-01-2012, 09:09 AM
Amazon is taking pre-orders for Season 1 at $44.99 for the Blu-ray edition, $34.99 for the DVD. It will be released on March 6. Think I'm going to take the plunge on these. Really looking forward to Season 2.

As much as I love them, I've already given the guy entirely too much money.

El Guapo
02-01-2012, 11:00 AM
That's what "HBO GO" is for. :D

underrated29
02-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Tyrions eyes are supposed to be different colors, but in the show I believe they are not. I always picutred mellisandre more sinister looking. But thats why books are better than movies, you can pciture them exactly how you want to.

Still cant wait for april for season two. 2 months to go.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
02-26-2012, 06:51 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X66PDW1Mjf8?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X66PDW1Mjf8?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Shananahan
02-26-2012, 07:00 PM
As much as I love them, I've already given the guy entirely too much money.
This should make it easy to justify downloading them, then.

TheReverend
02-26-2012, 07:12 PM
This should make it easy to justify downloading them, then.

No comment.

Shananahan
02-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Hypothetically, I mean. Everybody knows that's impossible.

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 07:08 AM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/610/20084478.png

robbieopperude
02-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Can't wait. HBO's take on the first series puts this as one of the Top 10 shows of all time IMO.

Kaylore
02-29-2012, 09:29 AM
The North Remembers debuts April Fools day!

underrated29
02-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I finished book four..

Is it true that book 5 dance with dragons is not in paperback yet?

Also, I thought book 4 sucked, it was all plot and character development, which makes sense because of all the action that went down in book 3. But I have heard book 5 is like book 4, where it pretty much character development and politics type crap, with little else going on. I dont really want spoilers but for those who have read book 5. Is that about right?

Is book 5 any good? I am still going to read it, but I am not going to buy a hardcover book for $35.

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 10:38 AM
I finished book four..

Is it true that book 5 dance with dragons is not in paperback yet?

Also, I thought book 4 sucked, it was all plot and character development, which makes sense because of all the action that went down in book 3. But I have heard book 5 is like book 4, where it pretty much character development and politics type crap, with little else going on. I dont really want spoilers but for those who have read book 5. Is that about right?

Is book 5 any good? I am still going to read it, but I am not going to buy a hardcover book for $35.

It is true that it's not in paperback yet.

It's also not as fast paced as book 3.... but what is? Book 5 has a lot of snoozers (most of Dany's chapters are /wrist worthy) but a lot of really cool stuff happens too. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I liked AFFC too thanks to all the Lannister character development.

Old Dude
02-29-2012, 11:46 AM

Let me put it like this. The first half of Book 5 is a lot like Book 4 in that it deals with a lot of politics and several major characters whose storylines are picked up from where they left off in Book 3. The second half of Book 5 is somewhat more "action oriented" in that some of the storylines in Book 4 and the first half of 5 start to converge, but a lot of these things leave us with cliffhangers (which I won't spoil here).

Given your preferences, I'd either wait for the paperback or get the hard cover on amazon.

underrated29
02-29-2012, 12:08 PM
dang, I was hoping I heard wrong on the paperback thing. Maybe I can borrow one from a friend...

Ok, 5 sounds good. I should also rephrase my pervious statement. Book 4 didnt suck, per say. It sucked in comparison to the other 3 books.

I still liked 4 and it had some good parts, but to me it dragged when it got into the politics stuff. I enjoyed the character development of all the people in the book, but after a while it didnt really seem to be moving forward, just a rinse and repeat cycle of this, then doing that, then this is the outcome. The hiring, and firing of people, and the spies here and there and how to eliminate them- while needed, seems like it developed, then developed again, and again and again. IMO- it was a bit too much. Obviously, who doesnt like the action, but I am not after only action.--I think my above post didnt really get that point across very well. I still read through the book quickly, and cant wait for 5. My goal is to be done with 5 and waiting for 6 before season 2 comes out on tv.

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 12:10 PM
2 was the worst for me...

By a LARGE margin

underrated29
02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
also as rev knows cuz we've talked about it before. I am really excited for the denaryus part. Despite what was just said. She is one of my favs, so is bran. They werent in 4 so im excited to pick up on their stories.

Daeryus is so hot in the show. I know we all know this but I had to say it again. So is her little helper girl.

Old Dude
02-29-2012, 07:49 PM
I think the biggest issue some people had with book 5 is that they expected more of the storylines to converge and resolve. Some of them do, but for every one that does, two or three new storylines emerge. After you're done with Book 5, you'll wonder how he can possibly finish this thing in just two (or even three) more books.

I have a theory about how things are going to develop, but I'm keeping it to myself.

TheReverend
02-29-2012, 08:03 PM
I think the biggest issue some people had with book 5 is that they expected more of the storylines to converge and resolve. Some of them do, but for every one that does, two or three new storylines emerge. After you're done with Book 5, you'll wonder how he can possibly finish this thing in just two (or even three) more books.

I have a theory about how things are going to develop, but I'm keeping it to myself.

Check reps

myMind
02-29-2012, 09:15 PM
I really wonder if they are going to work in the tower of joy somehow.
Right now someone who has just watched the show and not read the books has no idea that John's parentage is in question. Im really curious as to how they will work that in, as Im certain it will play a large part in the last two books.

Archer81
02-29-2012, 09:22 PM
I gave up after book 3. We have all of them. I love complex stories with multiple POV's...but a character I like dies in every damn book.

At some point its like dude...someone has to be the f'ing protagonist and make it through this cluster****.

Fedaykin
02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
I gave up after book 3. We have all of them. I love complex stories with multiple POV's...but a character I like dies in every damn book.

At some point its like dude...someone has to be the f'ing protagonist and make it through this cluster****.

It's not like there is a shortage of characters...

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Right now someone who has just watched the show and not read the books has no idea that John's parentage is in question. Im really curious as to how they will work that in, as Im certain it will play a large part in the last two books.

There's still ONE survivor from the tower of joy and if that lineage theory is correct, its gonna have to come out soon.

They don't need the ned flashbacks, they need AA to talk to the swamp people when they plead fealty to him.

(Used no spoiler codes lol)

Flex Gunmetal
03-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Oh lawd, didn't read anything ITT (avoiding spoilers), but I've got 2 episodes left in the first season, then I'm reading while I wait for the 2nd season. I watched the first 8 episodes in 4 days lol, so addicting.
Best show I've watched in a very long time.

Kaylore
03-01-2012, 09:15 AM

Pretty sure they mentioned John's bloodline a few times last season. (not whom, but that there is more than you think initially.)

El Guapo
03-01-2012, 09:17 AM
Other forums i frequent have spoiler tags (i.e. ) that blanks out those words unless highlighted. I really wish we had that, because I just read some things I shouldnt have. (100 pages into book 3)

Flex Gunmetal
03-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Other forums i frequent have spoiler tags (i.e. that blanks out those words unless highlighted. I really wish we had that, just I just read some things I shouldnt have. (100 pages into book 3)

I'm terrified to read anything online about it. I get the feeling this thread is for people who have read all the books.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 09:19 AM
Oh lawd, didn't read anything ITT (avoiding spoilers), but I've got 2 episodes left in the first season, then I'm reading while I wait for the 2nd season. I watched the first 8 episodes in 4 days lol, so addicting.
Best show I've watched in a very long time.

Don't post or read anything until you've watched the next episode :)

Kaylore
03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm terrified to read anything online about it. I get the feeling this thread is for people who have read all the books.

It is not. Everyone here has been pretty good about keeping it about the show and speaking in enough generalities about the books that you'll be fine. That said, if you haven't seen the show and you don't want it spoiled, do NOT read this thread.

Flex Gunmetal
03-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Don't post or read anything until you've watched the next episode :)

My brother (zms325i on here) has read all of the books/watched the show, he's telling me the same thing. Hopefully wifey has more homework tonight so I can finish the season.
I'm at the part where Sansa tells Cersei that Ned will acknowledge Joffrey (biggest phaggot character [no homophobe] I've ever had to watch BTW) as the rightful king. I have a feeling sht is about to get real.

Anyone watch the Wire? Nice to see Tommy Carcetti getting work.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
My brother (zms325i on here) has read all of the books/watched the show, he's telling me the same thing. Hopefully wifey has more homework tonight so I can finish the season.
I'm at the part where Sansa tells Cersei that Ned will acknowledge Joffrey (biggest ******* character [no homophobe] I've ever had to watch BTW) as the rightful king. I have a feeling sht is about to get real.

Joffrey is the errand of Westeros for sure

Flex Gunmetal
03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
Joffrey is the errand of Westeros for sure

http://i.imgur.com/Ai0hM.gif

Well played, good sir. Well played.

Flex Gunmetal
03-01-2012, 09:30 AM
It is not. Everyone here has been pretty good about keeping it about the show and speaking in enough generalities about the books that you'll be fine. That said, if you haven't seen the show and you don't want it spoiled, do NOT read this thread.

Nice. I'll be done soon. Just in time for season 2 next month.
It's definitely accurately described as a "Sopranos in Middle Earth".

BroncsRule
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Agreed - the stuff about Jon's bloodline is still in the realm of online conspiracy theory. GRRM hasn't tipped his hand yet in this regard.

El Guapo
03-01-2012, 11:54 AM

Yup! My first reaction was, "Hey! It's the mayor of Baltimore!" :D

El Guapo
03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
I was casually looking for collectibles for the show and first went to the HBO site (http://store.hbo.com/?v=hbo_gift-finder_collectibles&spid=1676). Who would buy the Lannister shield to mount? If anything I'd mount a Stark one. :oyvey: In fact, what inspired my search was watching Big Bang Theory. Next to their apartment front door is a sword and shield with the Stark crest and their cry above it (Winter is coming). :fever: My dork factor sometime rages out of control, although I have yet to hang any such material in my domicile.

EDIT:

found it. (http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Sword-Eddard-Stark/dp/B005OJVINK%3FSubscriptionId%3D1HBHCZPA18MPSHNAD882 %26tag%3Dwesteros-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB005OJVINK)

BroncoBeavis
03-01-2012, 12:39 PM
I really want to check the series out. But I don't want to buy HBO over it.

Archer81
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
I was casually looking for collectibles for the show and first went to the HBO site (http://store.hbo.com/?v=hbo_gift-finder_collectibles&spid=1676). Who would buy the Lannister shield to mount? If anything I'd mount a Stark one. :oyvey: In fact, what inspired my search was watching Big Bang Theory. Next to their apartment front door is a sword and shield with the Stark crest and their cry above it (Winter is coming). :fever: My dork factor sometime rages out of control, although I have yet to hang any such material in my domicile.

EDIT:

found it. (http://www.amazon.com/Game-Thrones-Sword-Eddard-Stark/dp/B005OJVINK%3FSubscriptionId%3D1HBHCZPA18MPSHNAD882 %26tag%3Dwesteros-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB005OJVINK)

For $300 it better be able to take the head off of zombies.

HILife
03-01-2012, 12:54 PM
http://watchthethrone.com/images/cover.jpg

HooptyHoops
03-01-2012, 01:00 PM

Same boat....I'm talking to friends and family who have Netflix to see if I can come watch it!!

Flex Gunmetal
03-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Same boat....I'm talking to friends and family who have Netflix to see if I can come watch it!!

HBO shows aren't on instant view.

HBO is worth it. Eastbound and Down, GoT, Boardwalk Empire, and with HBO to go you can stream old episodes of any of their shows (going back at least as far as the sopranos) on IPads, PC's, smartphones etc. Very worth it IMO.

BroncoBeavis
03-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Yeah, I have Netflix. It's not there. Doesn't sound like it will be anytime soon either.

BroncoBeavis
03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
HBO shows aren't on instant view.

HBO is worth it. Eastbound and Down, GoT, Boardwalk Empire, and with HBO to go you can stream old episodes of any of their shows (going back at least as far as the sopranos) on IPads, PC's, smartphones etc. Very worth it IMO.

Yeah, I just don't spend enough TV time to justify it. If I could stream whatever I wanted, then maybe. But I think you can only do that with certain ISPs, which I don't have.

Heyneck
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
ok..for those of U who want to watch quaility online movies or series go to: www.cuevana.tv
(http://www.orangemane.com/BB/www.cuevana.tv)
It's in spanish but you can set it to english. Just follow the steps for the plugin (I recommend firefox, but chrome or safari will do). Enjoy!!1 Its a great site...It lets you choose standar or HD most of the time....and the series new episode can be found by the next day. Just don't spread the word too much...don't want to see the site taken down!!!

*Ok..apparently they took the english option off. But it's still very easy to look for what you want. And If you are annoyed by spanish subs you can turn them off!

Heyneck
03-01-2012, 01:38 PM

http://www.cuevana.tv/#!/series/3622/game-of-thrones

Enjoy brother!!! Don't get scared away because it's a site in spanish. All audio is in english and you can turn the subtitles off!!!

myMind
03-01-2012, 01:47 PM
There's still ONE survivor from the tower of joy and if that lineage theory is correct, its gonna have to come out soon.

They don't need the ned flashbacks, they need AA to talk to the swamp people when they plead fealty to him.

(Used no spoiler codes lol)

Thats also why Im kinda curious, because they havent cast any of the three signigicant "bog people." The Reeds are crucial to the story IMO, and they have to this point been written out of the show.

myMind
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Pretty sure they mentioned John's bloodline a few times last season. (not whom, but that there is more than you think initially.)

All I remember is John and Neds conversation when they seperated on the Kings road bound in different directions. Ned told John that the next time they met, then they would discuss his mother. Im sure that the parentage subplot will be a significant aspect of the final books, so I cant imagine the writers of the show would ignore it completely.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Thats also why Im kinda curious, because they havent cast any of the three signigicant "bog people." The Reeds are crucial to the story IMO, and they have to this point been written out of the show.

I disagree. Meera and Jojen don't really do much and I expect all of those scenes of heading to the wall to be chopped outside of the one where they run into the future AA at that tower.

If Meera and Jojen are intended to eventually do something important, Martin will tell HBO and they'll be casted soon.

myMind
03-01-2012, 02:02 PM
Agreed - the stuff about Jon's bloodline is still in the realm of online conspiracy theory. GRRM hasn't tipped his hand yet in this regard.

I really wish we had spoiler tags so we could go into detail about the books.
Being as vague as possible...don't read if you are adept at putting two and two together.

The last John chapter in the most recent book, and the event that transpires is directly tied to a vision someone on the other side of the world had in the second book at the house of the undying. If you have read the books and want me to clarify with specifics hit me up via pm.

myMind
03-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I disagree. Meera and Jojen don't really do much and I expect all of those scenes of heading to the wall to be chopped outside of the one where they run into the future AA at that tower.

If Meera and Jojen are intended to eventually do something important, Martin will tell HBO and they'll be casted soon.

Jojen Reed is important to Bran's storyline, though I do agree his contribution could be combined into another character's storyline, probably Osha's.

However, Howlen Reed is crucial, though it is not really that big of an issue yet since he hasnt even showed up in the books yet. He is crucial to the Tv show because is the only living character that can inform the viewer of the ToJ, Johns parentage storyline. In the book we were made aware of it when Ned was in the black cells, which didnt happen on da television show.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Jojen Reed is important to Bran's storyline, though I do agree his contribution could be combined into another character's storyline, probably Osha's.

However, Howlen Reed is crucial, though it is not really that big of an issue yet since he hasnt even showed up in the books yet. He is crucial to the Tv show because is the only living character that can inform the viewer of the ToJ, Johns parentage storyline. In the book we were made aware of it when Ned was in the black cells, which didnt happen on da television show.

Jojen Reed is important to some of Bran's development, but FAR from critical or even crucial.

And Howlen has to make an appearance in the books before we start crying foul that he hasn't been cast, don't you think?

myMind
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
I wrote a bit about AA and some prophecy stuff, but its so spoilerish I felt it neccesary to hide the text. If you want to read, which I dont advise unless you are current with the books, then highlight the blank area directly below.

****SPOILERS****

This is part of the prophecy of AA.

"When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone."

***HUGE SPOILERS****

Read the final moments of John's chapter.
The knight killed by the Giant has a star on his surcoat that is covered in blood (bleeding star)
Darkness gathers refers to all the brothers gathering around in there dark clothes.

Amidst smoke and salt: When John is being stabbed his wounds smoke in the night chill, and his attackers are crying hence the salt(in their tears)

Prophecy has an inherently mystical quality to it, which is why I love GrrM so much for making the realization of the prophecy so literal. John Snow is Azor Ahai and the prince who was promised, who I believe are one and the same .

myMind
03-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Jojen Reed is important to some of Bran's development, but FAR from critical or even crucial.

And Howlen has to make an appearance in the books before we start crying foul that he hasn't been cast, don't you think?

Yes, that is the jist of what I was saying. I dont think that were disagreeing at all. Practically the Reeds arent vital yet, but in my mind as a reader, I cant really imagine the story w/out them. I mean, if they use Osha as the guide, then wtf is gonna happen with Rickon.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 02:32 PM
^ well duh.

AA is pretty obvious. Not buying the PwwP though. Not him.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Yes, that is the jist of what I was saying. I dont think that were disagreeing at all. Practically the Reeds arent vital yet, but in my mind as a reader, I cant really imagine the story w/out them. I mean, if they use Osha as the guide, then wtf is gonna happen with Rickon.

It could just be Bran and Hodir.

myMind
03-01-2012, 02:44 PM
^ well duh.

AA is pretty obvious. Not buying the PwwP though. Not him.

Highlight below...spoilers ahead

Thats where the R + L = J argument comes into play.
I firmly believe that in dany's vision at the HotU, the child that Rhager was looking at was Lyannas, and that the ToJ scene leads me to believe that Lyanna begged Ned to take the child and not tell anyone who he really is. "Promis me Ned!" Ned agrees with an oath he makes to his dying sister on her death bed and names the boy John and brings him home. Raegar clearly says that the child is the PtwP.
Why do you doubt that PtwP and AA are the same person?

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 02:50 PM
Highlight below...spoilers ahead

Check your userCP.

Better spoilers there :P

myMind
03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Check your userCP.

Better spoilers there :P

back at ya

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
back at ya

Certainly disagree that he'd so overload one character while neglecting another almost completely. I do think my "scenario" is more plausible.

That being said, he's probably the least predictable author ever, so we'll see how this unfolds lol

myMind
03-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Certainly disagree that he'd so overload one character while neglecting another almost completely. I do think my "scenario" is more plausible.

That being said, he's probably the least predictable author ever, so we'll see how this unfolds lol

Remember though that AA is a propehcy of the red priests. The PtwP could just as likely be referring to the same person, but from a different religion or ideal's viewpoint.

Think of WoT.
The karaethon cycle and the Dark One's prophecy are both referring to Rand, but they are worded differently and come from two different perspectives. Add in the seafolk's prophecy of the coramoor(sp?), that also refers to Rand and you'll see my point hopefully.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Remember though that AA is a propehcy of the red priests. The PtwP could just as likely be referring to the same person, but from a different religion or ideal's viewpoint.

Think of WoT.
The karaethon cycle and the Dark One's prophecy are both referring to Rand, but they are worded differently and come from two different perspectives. Add in the seafolk's prophecy of the coramoor(sp?), that also refers to Rand and you'll see my point hopefully.

I know what you mean (didn't mention Car'a'carn though :P ), but Martin has completely avoided the one invincible superman role that Jordan was eager to create with Rand al'Thor.

myMind
03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
I know what you mean (didn't mention Car'a'carn though :P ), but Martin has completely avoided the one invincible superman role that Jordan was eager to create with Rand al'Thor.

Lol, I knew I was forgetting one. I havent reread that series in a couple years.
It is true that GrrM has avoided the superman character to his own benefit. Perhaps he is building up to one, or perhaps he will try to show that a prophecized being is still only human and has to work into the lives of his fellow humans. I.E. being only one head of the dragon. Who knows, its fun to speculate, but ulitimately the truth only exist in one mans head. As Jordan was fond of saying, I guess we'll have to read and find out.

TheReverend
03-01-2012, 03:17 PM
Lol, I knew I was forgetting one. I havent reread that series in a couple years.
It is true that GrrM has avoided the superman character to his own benefit. Perhaps he is building up to one, or perhaps he will try to show that a prophecized being is still only human and has to work into the lives of his fellow humans. I.E. being only one head of the dragon. Who knows, its fun to speculate, but ulitimately the truth only exist in one mans head. As Jordan was fond of saying, I guess we'll have to read and find out.

Yup, if anything he's avoided superhuman characters and over-emphasized human frailty and weakness.

Dutch
03-06-2012, 08:16 AM
Less than 4 weeks to go, and it is looking great:

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones/about/video/season-2-trailer-seven-devils.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lzmcu1CzLTEnNh8k45+eVpFaUsDFyMjKySSeWluQX5CRW 2pYUlaayMQIAUmYXOA==

TheReverend
03-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Fixed and OD, I'm having a discussion where I say massive parts of Bran and Dany's stories have been pointless and shouldve ended up on the editing floor.

What are your thoughts?

To me its reminiscent of WoT getting needlessly dragged on for several extra books. Feast and aDwD were supposed to be one book originally because it wouldve fit just fine. For them to be split and tediously drag on at parts oddly at a timing where we can safely assume HBO bought the dramatic rights, wellllllllllllll

Old Dude
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Fixed and OD, I'm having a discussion where I say massive parts of Bran and Dany's stories have been pointless and shouldve ended up on the editing floor.

What are your thoughts?

To me its reminiscent of WoT getting needlessly dragged on for several extra books. Feast and aDwD were supposed to be one book originally because it wouldve fit just fine. For them to be split and tediously drag on at parts oddly at a timing where we can safely assume HBO bought the dramatic rights, wellllllllllllll

I agree more about Dany than Bran. I thought Bran's story was finally starting to get somewhere interesting and I think it's going to answer a lot of outstanding questions and play a huge role in the final outcome.

With Dany ... I agree that things have dragged more than necessary. I'm having a hard time staying quite as invested in all the pseudo middle-eastern euro-trash on the continent.

TheReverend
03-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I agree more about Dany than Bran. I thought Bran's story was finally starting to get somewhere interesting and I think it's going to answer a lot of outstanding questions and play a huge role in the final outcome.

With Dany ... I agree that things have dragged more than necessary. I'm having a hard time staying quite as invested in all the pseudo middle-eastern euro-trash on the continent.

Several hundred pages have been dedicated to Jojen being bossy and the revelation that its cold near the wall and that Dany wants Daario but it can never be.

Pointless. Reminds me of braid tugging.

MrPeepers
03-07-2012, 07:04 PM
i've read the first three books, but this thread is full of potential spoil. I found about a bunch of stuff prematurely. As curious as I am, I would like a spoiler smiley or something.

El Guapo
03-08-2012, 06:11 AM
It's a simple line of code, right? Sending a PM to Taco right now.

http://www.vbulletin-faq.com/forum/showthread.php?7403-BB-Code-Spoiler-Tag

myMind
03-10-2012, 05:41 PM

What are your thoughts?

Sure, different characters storylines seem to drag at times, but when I do a reread I generally appreciate them more. Id say its mainly Dany mooning over drogo or her forked bearded tyroshi, and Cersei being a manipulative **** (which can be entertaining at times). The big offender Id say is Sansa, everything before (highlight) *spolier*her escape from kings landing is alright, but when she gets to the vale the ONLY neccesary chapters were Lisas death and Littlefingers summit with the lords of the vale. She has way too many pointless chapters.
I love Bran and every single page of every single chapter.

Oh, and

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2286/gotv.jpg

Jerry Curl
03-10-2012, 07:49 PM
HBO is showing all the episodes tonight, pretty sweet even though I've already seen them. April 1st can't come quick enough.

Kaylore
03-23-2012, 07:48 AM
How long is a Westeros year? Does anyone know? It made me wonder if the young age of the characters early on is a result of their years being longer....

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 08:07 AM
How long is a Westeros year? Does anyone know? It made me wonder if the young age of the characters early on is a result of their years being longer....

Years are the same. The "seasons" seem to function outside of the years and age, that's why a lot of the younger ones have never lived to see a "winter" but are still clearly older than 1.

Also the characters are too young because Martin played a 4-6 year break between the events of A Storm of Swords and a Feast for Crows, but when the time came, couldnt make it work. So now the younger ones are too young haha

SureShot
03-23-2012, 08:10 AM

Years in Westeros are 12 Moon orbits. It is known.

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Years in Westeros are 12 Moon orbits. It is known.

It is known.

JLesSPE
03-23-2012, 08:21 AM
I don't know if I can wait another week. I watched season 1 again last weekend. I'm also halfway through the fifth book, taking my time because I know it'll be forever before the next one comes out. I'm painting a very impatient portrait of myself aren't I?

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 08:24 AM
I don't know if I can wait another week. I watched season 1 again last weekend. I'm also halfway through the fifth book, taking my time because I know it'll be forever before the next one comes out. I'm painting a very impatient portrait of myself aren't I?

Not at all. The rest of us have been done with the 5th book for months.

Natedogg
03-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Finally finished book five. Had been refusing to read this thread until.

That last chapter (not the epilogue) put me in a mini depression for a day or two. Lol.

Generally thought that 5 and 3 were the best books so far. 4 draaaged, and I'm pissed as hell at him/his editors for doing what he did with 4/5.

I really really hope that doesn't happen again. Even if books are "too" long or stop before the climax.

Anyways, really liked reading the spoilers about AA. Thx.

Sansa and Danerys are my least favorite characters for sure. (One of my female friends told me that that was because I was a misogynist. loolololololol)

SureShot
03-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Not at all. The rest of us have been done with the 5th book for months.

This

JLesSPE
03-23-2012, 08:38 AM
K well I guess I'll finish it this weekend then, assuming I can stay off twitter long enough. I think I've read enough BS from the start of FA til now to fill up a book.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-23-2012, 08:44 AM

From what I gathered from the show. The year is a regular year, but the way they witness the seasons is different. Years can go by in one season and there is no pattern to when which season, so summer may not follow spring. Like in season 1 its the 4 year summer, but this year is winter.

BroncsCheer
03-23-2012, 08:48 AM
Look for the weather to be linked to the Citadel somehow.

Also, dragons!!

Kaylore
03-23-2012, 08:58 AM
So the weather is completely unconnected to the planet itself. I thought maybe there was a larger orbit around a larger sun. I was looking for an astronomical basis for the seasons.

jerseyguy4
03-23-2012, 09:00 AM
This have been said through the last 19 pages, but Martin is a Jets fan. When so much time went by before the last book, I used to read his blog. He'd be blogging about the Jets instead of writing the damn book. Used to make me so mad.

Kaylore
03-23-2012, 09:13 AM
This have been said through the last 19 pages, but Martin is a Jets fan. When so much time went by before the last book, I used to read his blog. He'd be blogging about the Jets instead of writing the damn book. Used to make me so mad.

LOL He's probably pulling a Rev and doing a mock draft on GangGreen when he should be writing. ROFL!

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 09:56 AM
LOL He's probably pulling a Rev and doing a mock draft on GangGreen when he should be writing. ROFL!

Lol whatever man. I wrote a ****load this week.

PS. If you like mystery novels, PM me your email and you can give the one I'm working on trial runs and input while I develop it :)

Dutch
03-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Lol whatever man. I wrote a ****load this week.

PS. If you like mystery novels, PM me your email and you can give the one I'm working on trial runs and input while I develop it :)

Send it to me knucklehead....you've got my E-mail. :wiggle: I'm still waiting for you to send me the rest of the boot camp stories from the other book. ;D
Don't hold it against me for the "Deck Towel 500" not getting to you in time!

TheReverend
03-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Send it to me knucklehead....you've got my E-mail. :wiggle: I'm still waiting for you to send me the rest of the boot camp stories from the other book. ;D
Don't hold it against me for the "Deck Towel 500" not getting to you in time!

Lol alright alright

Also, check the main page sticky doofus. First press release stuff and updates

Natedogg
03-23-2012, 03:53 PM

http://grrm.livejournal.com/274213.html

"No, No, No"

"My Jets have given up two perfectly good draft picks for Tim Tebow, the worst quarterback in the National Football League."

"Nor do I think that Tebow's conspicuous piety will play well in the Big Apple. This is the city that once embraced Broadway Joe. Tebow would fit better in... well, if Branson, Missouri had an NFL team, that would be a perfect fit."

jerseyguy4
03-23-2012, 04:25 PM
http://grrm.livejournal.com/274213.html

"No, No, No"

"My Jets have given up two perfectly good draft picks for Tim Tebow, the worst quarterback in the National Football League."

"Nor do I think that Tebow's conspicuous piety will play well in the Big Apple. This is the city that once embraced Broadway Joe. Tebow would fit better in... well, if Branson, Missouri had an NFL team, that would be a perfect fit."
LOL

Well, I guess he still is a Jets fan. Maybe if they're bad enough he'll get back to work on book 6

ZONA
03-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Can't wait for this new season to start. I'm almost as excited as the few weeks leading up to when a new season of Dexter is about to air.

Dutch
03-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Lol alright alright

Also, check the main page sticky doofus. First press release stuff and updates

I was out of town with no access to the web last weekend, so missed the original post, and like Kaylore...the sticky section just gets blown by most of the time as I'm usually working/browsing at the same time :approve:! By the time I returned to our happy community, Peyton had signed and well...you know how that has gone around here. Thanks again, Rev. Seriously looking forward to it.

Thrones content (so as to avoid thread hijacking):
HBO has some pretty cool new preview stuff up for season 2 on Comcast On-Demand and on HBO's web site. I stopped reading the books halfway through book three (right as season 1 of the series started), as I didn't want to get too far ahead of the show. I found myself spending most of season 1 thinking about what happened to the characters "down the road", and it was impacting my immersion/enjoyment of the program. I'll get to them when the series wraps up, or maybe just read the next book before the next season. Plus that will give me a good excuse to re-watch the whole thing up to that point. My wife and I plan to watch season 1 week after next and finish in time for the premier. Can't wait!:charge:

rugbythug
03-24-2012, 06:47 AM
As a parent I could not handle the show. Show one closing scene I turned it off for good.

TheReverend
03-24-2012, 07:21 AM
As a parent I could not handle the show. Show one closing scene I turned it off for good.

As a parent, thanks for sharing.

rugbythug
03-24-2012, 07:29 AM
As a parent, thanks for sharing.

Your Welcome

TheReverend
03-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Your Welcome

As a person who's completed an education, I could not handle this post. Post's first word and I shut it off for good.

rugbythug
03-24-2012, 07:37 AM
*Crushed*

TheReverend
03-24-2012, 07:38 AM
*Crushed*

:kiss:

myMind
03-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Bunch of short clips from episode 11, in case you can't wait.

Dany (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuaObvlexr4)

Tyrion, Joffrey (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nX5S4DV85c)

Jon Snow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOfknTyzYc)

Craster's Keep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9w0pHjWiIE)

Robb Stark (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfiEIAth10)

Tyrion, Small Council (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFQly1N8UQ)

There are also three clips from ep 12 up on winteriscoming.net (http://winteriscoming.net)

underrated29
03-28-2012, 10:24 PM

Are you the Ghostbusters guy?

myMind
03-28-2012, 10:25 PM
^
-
^
http://i39.tinypic.com/e9feb6.gif

underrated29
03-28-2012, 10:26 PM
We all know quite a few actors from the show...ned, jaime lannister, king robert, the highlander guy, and some others....But.........

And this might have been painfully obvious to everyone but me- did you know tyrion lannister was the gay midget in death at a funeral. I did not, and I like that movie. Thought it was interesting, if no one else had noticed that or seen the movie.

what are we at gents? 3 days until showtime? April first I thought I heard. cant wait.

myMind
03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
We all know quite a few actors from the show...ned, jaime lannister, king robert, the highlander guy, and some others....But.........

And this might have been painfully obvious to everyone but me- did you know tyrion lannister was the gay midget in death at a funeral. I did not, and I like that movie. Thought it was interesting, if no one else had noticed that or seen the movie.

what are we at gents? 3 days until showtime? April first I thought I heard. cant wait.

Sunday

underrated29
03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Sunday

oh yeah!

*embed fail.

myMind
03-28-2012, 10:32 PM

oh yeah!

*embed fail.

You have to wrap image tags around the link

Broncomutt
04-01-2012, 07:01 PM
:strong:

elsid13
04-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Strong start to the next season. Like the fact that the wolves played into the series more then they have in the past.

Dutch
04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Strong start to the next season. Like the fact that the wolves played into the series more then they have in the past.

Agreed! Very nice job with the growth of the Dire Wolves. I was concerned they might have ended up just keeping them as normal sized wolves, or worse....cheesy CGI.

McDman
04-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I can't imagine being able to follow this show and the vast amount of characters had I not read the books.

Taco John
04-01-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm about 1/3 the way through the first book. Great read so far. I don't want to watch any of the shows until I finish the book, but I'm tempted to start season one and just watch up to the point that I am at in the book.

Dutch
04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm about 1/3 the way through the first book. Great read so far. I don't want to watch any of the shows until I finish the book, but I'm tempted to start season one and just watch up to the point that I am at in the book.

Good call, I think. especially if you read at a decent clip.It would also give you the advantage of picturing the actors from the series in your mind's eye while reading. I think the casting has been one of the unexpectedly strongest aspects of the show. They've done a great job with it. You could then move on to book 2 and do the same with season 2 as it will be available on demand for quite a bit.

broncosteven
04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
I can't wait for Downton Abby to start back up. I am watching season 1 of GoT on DVD and it cannot compare to Downton Abby. Though the soft core porn is entertaining

Fedaykin
04-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm so glad this show is on HBO.

For instance, there's no way the purge of the bastards even makes it to the script anywhere else.

Martin doesn't pull punches... and neither does HBO.

Dutch
04-01-2012, 09:01 PM
I can't wait for Downton Abby to start back up. I am watching season 1 of GoT on DVD and it cannot compare to Downton Abby. Though the soft core porn is entertaining

Apples and Oranges, Steven. They are completely different shows. My Wife and I are big fans of both, but there are aspects of GoT that DA cannot compete with. Scope/scale/complexity of story/cast numbers. Most of us raving about GoT have read the books, and this gives a completely different take on the show. Peter Dinklage won an Emmy and a Golden Globe for his portrayal of Tyrion Lannister. As for the "Soft Porn", its HBO...what do you expect. You might want to wait until you've seen the whole of season 1 before you pass judgement as there is a tremendous amount of groundwork/introduction to be done.

myMind
04-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm so glad this show is on HBO.

For instance, there's no way the purge of the bastards even makes it to the script anywhere else.

Martin doesn't pull punches... and neither does HBO.

HBO even outdid Martin in respect to King Robert's bastards being slain.
They've gone even darker than the books in that they actually make the act of slaying an infant child unavoidable to behold. The books didnt have a montage, just after the fact conversation and the citywatch riding after Gendry.

Absolutely loved the return of this show, wasnt too fond of Melisandre's accent and inflection at first, though it grew on me. Robb Stark is a certified badass. I am very glad this long awaited adaptation is coming together so nicely.

Boobs McGee
04-01-2012, 10:44 PM
WOW great start to the season!!!!

-----SPOILER ALERT--------

Haven't read the books yet (it WILL happen eventually), but holy **** geoffrey (sp?) is such a perfect little bastard. I hope that the youngest stark girl (ala, aya, aida?) comes back and stabs the **** out of him. Anywho...do we know who the mother of the blacksmith bastard kid is? I haven't seen the first season in a while, and can't remember exactly who it is. Apologies for the lack of names, but there are so many characters in development right now that it's kind of hard to keep track. ALSO, where is Snow's dire wolf?

SonOfLe-loLang
04-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I can't imagine being able to follow this show and the vast amount of characters had I not read the books.

I havent read em and am following it fine.

Love the show. Good first ep

Taco John
04-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I havent read em and am following it fine.

Love the show. Good first ep

I don't think following it is the problem, per se. It's coming in late that would present the biggest problem. But that's true with any HBO drama, no?

cutthemdown
04-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeah doesn't seem to hard to follow. Sure sometimes you are like ok who is this person, and what is the back story but its not like you can't follow the characters. Great show just watched the season 2 1st episode and it was great. One of the best ones yet.

Has anyone watched Justified on FX. I have heard good things about it.

cutthemdown
04-01-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't think following it is the problem, per se. It's coming in late that would present the biggest problem. But that's true with any HBO drama, no?

I just read up on the back stories they have on the HBO webpage. Sort of helps. They probably put it up for that reason. Because they knew people would get confused here and there.

myMind
04-01-2012, 11:48 PM
WOW great start to the season!!!!

-----SPOILER ALERT--------

Haven't read the books yet (it WILL happen eventually), but holy **** geoffrey (sp?) is such a perfect little bastard. I hope that the youngest stark girl (ala, aya, aida?) comes back and stabs the **** out of him. Anywho...do we know who the mother of the blacksmith bastard kid is? I haven't seen the first season in a while, and can't remember exactly who it is. Apologies for the lack of names, but there are so many characters in development right now that it's kind of hard to keep track. ALSO, where is Snow's dire wolf?

Valar Morghulis...