PDA

View Full Version : No 2nd round QB.

rugbythug
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I keep hearing some Crazy Talk about the Broncos going with a QB in the 2nd like that could be a decent Idea.

It's Not- QB is not a Regular position it is the premier position in football and as such is totally over drafted. If a player is not good enough for a team to go get immediately the first chance they get he is probably not good enough to be a good QB. Proof?

2 48 Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame Carolina Panthers
2 44 Pat White QB West Virginia Miami Dolphins
2 56 Brian Brohm QB Louisville Green Bay Packers
2 57 Chad Henne QB Michigan Miami Dolphins
2 36 Kevin Kolb QB Houston Philadelphia Eagles
2 40 John Beck QB Brigham Young Miami Dolphins
2 43 Drew Stanton QB Michigan State Detroit Lions
2 49 Kellen Clemens QB Oregon New York Jets
2 64 Tarvaris Jackson QB Alabama State Minnesota Vikings
2 32 Drew Brees QB Purdue San Diego Chargers
2 53 Quincy Carter QB Georgia Dallas Cowboys
2 59 Marques Tuiasosopo QB Washington Oakland Raiders

The only guy that has been successful Was drafted 10 years ago. His was a success brought on by a tremendous work ethic. And for the most part has happened in a city that he was not drafted by.

tsiguy96
04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
gotta give kolb credit too. hes gonna get traded for a good ransom, though he hasnt played many NFL games.

rugbythug
04-12-2011, 08:35 PM
gotta give kolb credit too. hes gonna get traded for a good ransom, though he hasnt played many NFL games.

I thought about giving him credit, but I couldn't he is still seen as A High upside prospect 4 years later. Was also the Eagles first pick that year.(I think)

Bronco Boy
04-12-2011, 08:42 PM
It's probably okay to draft a QB in the 2nd round if he's just a backup. Most of the guys on that list failed because they were thrown into the fire too soon IMO. Not that I would do it in our situation, we have too many other holes to go after a QB so soon.

BroncoMan4ever
04-12-2011, 09:09 PM
i still believe Brohm has tremendous upside, but realistically how is he ever going to get a shot when he is slotted behind one of the 5 best QBs in the league

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-12-2011, 09:12 PM
What about the third round? What was that Freeman kid in TB? Whatever the case the QB has to throw and think at the same time.

BroncoMan4ever
04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
What about the third round? What was that Freeman kid in TB? Whatever the case the QB has to throw and think at the same time.

Freeman was like the number 17 pick

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Freeman was like the number 17 pick

Wow, we need to talk to that scouting department.

BroncoMan4ever
04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Wow, we need to talk to that scouting department.

actually this franchise would be better served talking to almost any other franchise's scouting dept

Mogulseeker
04-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Kolb and Henne have potential... and yeah, Freeman is going to be good.

Chris
04-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Thought the consensus was that Henne blew his chance with consistently poor decision making last year.

Baba Booey
04-12-2011, 11:40 PM
i still believe Brohm has tremendous upside, but realistically how is he ever going to get a shot when he is slotted behind one of the 5 best QBs in the league

Brohm is on the Bills, no?

BroncoMan4ever
04-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Brohm is on the Bills, no?

i know he got drafted by the Packers and as far as i know he is still there, but if he is in Buffalo and can't crack the starting lineup there, then i wish to retract me previous statement about him

Mogulseeker
04-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Thought the consensus was that Henne blew his chance with consistently poor decision making last year.

Probably.

LRtagger
04-13-2011, 06:55 AM

He was drafted and put on the practice squad by the Packers and is now the 3rd string QB for the Bills ROFL!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-13-2011, 08:10 AM
actually this franchise would be better served talking to almost any other franchise's scouting dept

?

Didn't they draft a good RB. Lot of people think that this year they should make the playoffs. Pretty good turn around in 3 years.

TheChamp24
04-13-2011, 08:17 AM
I thought Brohm got beat out by Matt Flynn for the backup QB job in Green Bay and has been wasting away since.
Its stupid to draft a QB high right now for this team.
I do know, I will throw something if we end up taking a fricken QB round 1/2/3.

BroncoMan4ever
04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought Brohm got beat out by Matt Flynn for the backup QB job in Green Bay and has been wasting away since.

which is why i will be watching the draft on my bed with a pillow and nothing else heavy, don't want to destroy my tv when something stupid happens

oubronco
04-13-2011, 01:06 PM
which is why i will be watching the draft on my bed with a pillow and nothing else heavy, don't want to destroy my tv when something stupid happens

And i'm sure it will

BroncoMan4ever
04-13-2011, 01:13 PM
And i'm sure it will

i just pray it isn't the 1st round that shocks me and pisses me off. a **** up stupid move in the 2nd i can get over, but a top 5 pick screw up and i will be screaming for replacements in the Broncos front office

Pick Six
04-13-2011, 01:35 PM
There's always the exceptions. Rugbythug mentioned Drew Brees. Another notable exception is Tom Brady, who was picked up in the 6th round. If we draft a QB, we just need him to be better than Brady Quinn, which I don't think is hard to do...

LRtagger
04-13-2011, 01:55 PM

He got yanked last year in a start for Buffalo in favor of a 7th round rookie. His career passer rating is 17.

0 tds and 3 ints (plus a fumble). ZERO offensive TDs.

Brohm is a ginormous bust. Buffalo will likely draft a QB and Brohm will get cut.

LRtagger
04-13-2011, 02:01 PM
If we are going to take a flier on a 2nd or 3rd round QB to be the QB of the future, why the heck would we not just stick with Orton next year and let Tebow develop another year?

Anyone we would draft in this QB class (even at #2) is going to ride the bench behind Orton for a year...might as well be Tebow who at least has a year in the league under his belt. If it doesnt work out, throw our entire 2012 draft at someone to get Luck. It would be borderline retarded to draft another developmental QB with question marks when we already have three of that same type of QB on the roster.

We're going to end up with Tebow who the FO doesnt believe in, Quinn who sucks, and Ponder who will be the second coming of Brian Griese.

Mountain Bronco
04-13-2011, 02:34 PM
There is not a standout franchise QB in this draft. No to QB's at any point unless it is a late round project type (those don't work out so much either, but hey).

rugbythug
04-13-2011, 06:52 PM
There's always the exceptions. Rugbythug mentioned Drew Brees. Another notable exception is Tom Brady, who was picked up in the 6th round. If we draft a QB, we just need him to be better than Brady Quinn, which I don't think is hard to do...

I was very specific for a reason. Any qb worth having goes in the first. After this everyone else is a developmental prospect and should not be touched till the 4 th.

Play2win
04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
If we are going to take a flier on a 2nd or 3rd round QB to be the QB of the future, why the heck would we not just stick with Orton next year and let Tebow develop another year?

Anyone we would draft in this QB class (even at #2) is going to ride the bench behind Orton for a year...might as well be Tebow who at least has a year in the league under his belt. If it doesnt work out, throw our entire 2012 draft at someone to get Luck. It would be borderline retarded to draft another developmental QB with question marks when we already have three of that same type of QB on the roster.

We're going to end up with Tebow who the FO doesnt believe in, Quinn who sucks, and Ponder who will be the second coming of Brian Griese.

Before or after The Shoulder ?

uplink
04-13-2011, 10:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/13/mallett-getting-long-look-from-dolphins-seahawks/

IMO Mallett will be an NFL starter eventually, the other prospects won't. I watch his movement and throwing motion in college clips and I can just see him in the NFL. The other guys just don't look the part. I can see Ponder as a good back-up though. If you take a 2nd round QB it should be Mallett IMO if he lasts that long. I think he will likely be picked in the 2nd half of the 1st round.

FireFly
04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
That's a very convincing list. I hope we don't touch qb in the draft, as for Tom Brady who keeps getting trotted out as an example late round value at qb, how often does that happen? Almost never, I doubt I'll live to see another 6th round qb have the success Brady has had.

Most top qb are 1st round picks.