Makavelli (2pac)- 7 day theory
A mic cd
Murphy Lee- Murphys Law
Graveyard Shift- Still waters
Krayzie Bone- THug on da line
Dead Prez- Get free or die tryin
Jay Z- The black album

Car stereo-
A mix (in the player, rest are what i usually listen to)
Bizzy Bone- The gift
Cap-one- tHeory of life
Cap-one- Through the eyes of a don
DSGB- Til Death do us part (pastor troys group)
Bone thugs n harmony_ Thug world order

Bathroom player-
L Burna- THug by Nature

for me my car stereo is the highest honor, because thats where i lsiten to most of my music. My room stereo i listen to alot but not as much as my car one.

Hogan11
02-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Well, lessee...This weeks playlist has been like this:

Maxeen....."Maxeen"
The Swamp Rats ..."Disco Still Sucks"
The Rhinos...."Year Of The Rhinos"
The Doors...."Boot Yer Butt"
Chris Whitley..... "Live at Martyrs' "
Link Wray......"Barbed Wire"
Teenage Fanclub..."Songs From Northern Britian"
The Pietasters..."Willis"

Plus I've been working on making up a compilation of local legend Armand Schaubroeck's work for myself as well as burning a copy of Dreams So Real's first album "Fathers House" which has criminally never appeared on CD.

Pezman
02-06-2004, 11:17 PM
I've been playing my Dire Straits mp3's all week. God there is nothing like soothing licks to set the tone for the week. Mark Knopfler is a master. I sure can appreciate a good guitarist without getting to the point of saying "I could do that" or attempting to learn the technique. I guess I'm just a music appreciater rather than creator...

I love the self-titled album, "Communique", "Making Movies" so much.
I have them on Mp3 so, I always end up listening to all of them back-to-back.
I've been really digging the work of Ottomar Liebert lately as well... good stuff.

TheNextStep
02-07-2004, 04:46 AM
At home:
1. Sam Cooke - The Best of Sam Cooke
2. Jackie Wilson - The Very Best of Jackie Wilson
3. Bowling For Soup - Drunk Enough To Dance

In the car:
1. Bob Seger - Bob Seger's Greatest Hits Vol 2

At work:
1. I've pretty much got Brand New's single "Sic Transit Gloria" on constant repeat through Yahoo. I'll probably go buy the CD this week. I've also been listening to T.I.'s "Rubberband Man" though not as much as the other. Dig the single but probably won't throw my money at the CD.

BizzyBone7
02-07-2004, 12:27 PM
I've also been listening to T.I.'s "Rubberband Man" though not as much as the other. Dig the single but probably won't throw my money at the CD.

its an alright cd. nothing that special but that song is good

alkemical
02-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Home: Pink Floyd - Animals; Johnny Cash - Unearthed, Tribe Called Quest - Low End theory; Doors - Absolutley live; Down - Down II (a bustle in your hedgerow)

Car: Corrosion of Conformity - Deliverance, Primus - Suck on this, Cream - Wheels of fire - u2 the joshua tree -

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
02-19-2004, 03:26 AM
Michael Landau--"Tales from the Bulge"

Karizma--"Forever in the Arms of Love"

Carl Verheyen--"Garage Sale"

Tribal Tech--"Reality Check"

John Coltrane--Giant Steps

Miles Davis--E.S.P.

Led Zeppelin--Houses of the Holy

Rohirrim
02-19-2004, 07:53 AM
"The Essential Leonard Cohen"

"Love and Theft" Bob Dylan

"All Things Must Pass" George Harrison

"Buffalo Springfield Again"

"The Armadillo and the Ant" Leo Kotke

Hogan11
02-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Wow LABF..I'm impressed! Coltrane and Miles...you just don't run into too many jazzbeards these days......Kudos to you sir! I also love ESP..great offering from the immortal Miles.

Ro...I don't run across many Leonard Cohen fans either...He's a very interesting guy IMO.

I wish they would come up with a definitive George Harrison career collection...ATMP is a classic no doubt, but I can get along without half of it's material and much of the Dark Horse catalog has sadly gone out of print (even though many were hit and miss affairs, when a single stuck..it stuck).

and Buffalo Springfield...tragically overlooked these days...if anyone reading this doesn't know them, you should...get their three cd's ASAP...you won't be disappointed, that's a guarentee.

TheNextStep
02-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Picked up some new stuff...

Robert Randolph & The Family Band - "Unclassified"
--I've been wearing this one out and recommending it to everyone I know. Great, great, great album. The guy is a pedal steel guitar player and he's just straight up off the hook! Most steel players that I've heard have been in the country genre (yes, I like country music) and I had no idea that this kind of sound could even be done on that instrument. Its a blues/funk vibe; all of it very positive and the majority of it up-tempo. A very fun record to listen to. If you watched the Grammys, Robert Randolph & The Family Band were the guys sandwiched in between Outkast and Parliament Funkadelic... and blew them off the stage.

Liz Phair - Liz Phair
--Decent album with lots of easy hooks. After years of toiling on that edge of "critical darling" I guess this is her "make money record" (as Blues Traveller did with "Four" or Spin Doctors did with "Pocket Full Of Kryponite"). If you dig Phair a whole lot, you'll be disappointed. If you like accessible rock, its not bad (and "Why Can't I" is a great single). I don't recommend it nearly as heartily as I do Robert Randolph.

Brand New - Deja Entendu
-- "Sic Transit Gloria" is an absolutely killer single... and the rest of the record is pretty much nothing at all like it. Its alright... but certainly not what I expected.

Mogulseeker
02-19-2004, 02:40 PM
Incubus, POD, A Perfect Circle

Hogan11
02-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Liz Phair - Liz Phair
--Decent album with lots of easy hooks. After years of toiling on that edge of "critical darling" I guess this is her "make money record" (as Blues Traveller did with "Four" or Spin Doctors did with "Pocket Full Of Kryponite"). If you dig Phair a whole lot, you'll be disappointed. If you like accessible rock, its not bad (and "Why Can't I" is a great single). I don't recommend it nearly as heartily as I do Robert Randolph.

I panned this cd as one of the worst of 2003.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh in that assesment...but I have been into Phair since "Guyville" and this just sounded like Avril Lavigne to me (who it can be argued is a third rate Phair imtation herself)....so I was greatly disappointed with this one....I guess she just needed the cash.

The cover photos however and the "Why Can't I" video are not to be missed by any red blooded US male.... :o

FADERPROOF
02-19-2004, 05:21 PM
Every TOOL CD(every one makes a rotation at least once a week)
Spineshank - Self-Destructive Pattern
I'm ready to get drilled by RHogan for saying this but...Limp Bizkit - results may very
and Korn- take a look inot the mirror

Just curious, but has anyone else been digging The Darkness? I'm about to go and get their Permission to Land CD, they come to town on March 30th and the damn thing is already sold out, bout to go on ebay to try and get some tickets.

Hogan11
02-19-2004, 05:33 PM
Every TOOL CD(every one makes a rotation at least once a week)
Spineshank - Self-Destructive Pattern
I'm ready to get drilled by RHogan for saying this but...Limp Bizkit - results may very
and Korn- take a look inot the mirror

Just curious, but has anyone else been digging The Darkness? I'm about to go and get their Permission to Land CD, they come to town on March 30th and the damn thing is already sold out, bout to go on ebay to try and get some tickets.

I won't drill you for Limp Bizkit (this time) Den...but I will drill you for The Darkness...that band totally sucks. That vocalist can shatter glass with that ultragay falsetto and the whole thing smacks as a retro to the very worst of the 70's excess....and I haven't even mentioned that video of theirs yet...that thing isn't even funny...it's just plain bad.

Trust me, go with Jet instead if you want that kinda thing...hey, would your VP ever steer you wrong??

FADERPROOF
02-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Jet does sound very cool, heard that cold hard bitch song the other day, makings of a good one to my ears.

But I have to disagree on the Darkness, these guys just kick ass. It's funny yet serious type stuff, retro rock that brings back the arena style 80's hair bands. Maybe I'm just living in the past, but I just always digged the 80's rock with bands like whitesake, twisted sister, the scorpions, and Poison. I laugh everytime I see that video, nothing like a giant crab throwing a boulder and a giant squid trying to attack the band to get people to notice.

I don't really like Limp Bizkit much, I just got their CD because I heard Eat you Alive and figured that maybe the whole CD would be like that song since they got a new guitarist, but I was really dissapointed, so dissapointed that I almost wanted Wes back on guitars for me(I just didn't like that guy at all.)

Oh well, hopefully in a few years or so you'll hear about this band from Cleveland with a guy on drums that looks awefully like DF38, we'll right the Rock ship.

I've been digging Evanescence also, as crazy as that sounds.

Hogan11
02-19-2004, 06:08 PM
Jet does sound very cool, heard that cold hard bitch song the other day, makings of a good one to my ears.

But I have to disagree on the Darkness, these guys just kick ass. It's funny yet serious type stuff, retro rock that brings back the arena style 80's hair bands. Maybe I'm just living in the past, but I just always digged the 80's rock with bands like whitesake, twisted sister, the scorpions, and Poison. I laugh everytime I see that video, nothing like a giant crab throwing a boulder and a giant squid trying to attack the band to get people to notice.

Yeah, Jet is pretty cool...no question about it.

None of those bands you mentioned have a voice of a castrated man in front of them though....ruins every hack song on the cd....oh sure the bands you mention all do the operetic metal thing vocally on occasion...but not to that degree...I haven't heard vocals that bad since happening into early Sparks by mistake (if anyone reading has ever heard that sh*t, you know what I'm talking about....Yikes! )...

Just do me and the world a favor Den....don't sound anything like The Darkness when coming out to right the Rock ship....you can do better than that I'm sure.

TheNextStep
02-19-2004, 06:36 PM
I like Jet a lot. They sound like they could have been the opening band for Bad Company back in the mid-70s... and I dig that about them.

The Darkness... well... I think that "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" is catchy and I dig it a little bit. But... I tried to listen to some of their other stuff and it is horrible. Just horrible. And I agree with RHogan that the vocals are what absolutely make it unlistenable. While it works on "I Believe..." I'd rather dive into a swimming pool filled with double edged razor blades than listen to an entire CD worth of it...

alkemical
02-19-2004, 09:17 PM
I have....

Black Rebel Motorcycle club

Buddy Miles (best of)

Dave Weckle

Portrait of an american family (going old school manson)

RadioHead - KidA

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
02-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Wow LABF..I'm impressed! Coltrane and Miles...you just don't run into too many jazzbeards these days......Kudos to you sir! I also love ESP..great offering from the immortal Miles.

Thank you, sir.

"Giant Steps" by John Coltrane is definitely one of the most difficult pieces of music (in any genre) for any musician to play. Difficult chord changes based on a cycle of major third modulations and a brutally fast tempo (MM=>200!)

BTW, have you seen the "Miles Davis Story" DVD?

It's slammin'! (Got my copy at Tower Records for only ten bucks.)

8')

BroncoMatt
02-20-2004, 10:27 AM
every time I hear that song by the darkness I look around to see if any martians heads are exploding

FADERPROOF
02-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Yeah, Jet is pretty cool...no question about it.

None of those bands you mentioned have a voice of a castrated man in front of them though....ruins every hack song on the cd....oh sure the bands you mention all do the operetic metal thing vocally on occasion...but not to that degree...I haven't heard vocals that bad since happening into early Sparks by mistake (if anyone reading has ever heard that sh*t, you know what I'm talking about....Yikes! )...

Just do me and the world a favor Den....don't sound anything like The Darkness when coming out to right the Rock ship....you can do better than that I'm sure.

No prob about the whole sdounding like the Darkness thing, I'm more of the odd one of the group, the others are just diehard Metallica fans and we sound, well try to sound, something along the lines of them.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Darkness as a one hit wonder with I believe in a thing called love, but I think it's a good one and if it's their only hit then so be it.

Also getting into Unloco, saw them in concert last March at the music as a weapon tour(Chevelle, Taproot, and Disturbed were the other performers) and been kind into their music since.

As the Rock 'N Roll historian and VP, what are your thoughts on Evanescence? I didn't like them much when they came out, but now I'm rather into them, plus lead singer Amy is really damn hot which is always a plus. Just curious what you have to say on them, their from Little Rock as well, not exactly the rock 'n roll hotbed of the world.

Hogan11
02-20-2004, 01:33 PM
As the Rock 'N Roll historian and VP, what are your thoughts on Evanescence? I didn't like them much when they came out, but now I'm rather into them, plus lead singer Amy is really damn hot which is always a plus. Just curious what you have to say on them, their from Little Rock as well, not exactly the rock 'n roll hotbed of the world.

She is hot, I'll give you that. To be honest though, I really don't pay much attention to too much metal these days...I was always more of an alternative type of guy but I do keep in touch since a few of my friends travel in the metal vein...So I really haven't heard enough to actually give an informed comment on them....how about Opeth? Those guys I know love them.

BizzyBone7
02-21-2004, 12:34 PM

im primarily a hip hop fan...but i recently bought the evanesence cd. i was amazed, every song pretty much was very well done. theres only 11 songs which is the only downfall, but its a very good cd

Northman
02-21-2004, 01:44 PM
hmmm, lets see what is in the vault this week:

Susperia- Predominance
Lamb of God- As the palaces burn
Akercocke- Choronzon
Old Mans Child- In defiance of existence
Chimaira- The impossibility of reason
Meshuggah- Nothing
Dimmu Borgir- Death Cult Armageddon
Detachment- Suspended in stone
Pain- Nothing remains the same
The Black Dahlia Murder- Unhallowed

im primarily a hip hop fan...but i recently bought the evanesence cd. i was amazed, every song pretty much was very well done. theres only 11 songs which is the only downfall, but its a very good cd

that band is nothing man. you need to check out LACUNA COIL. theyve been doing it longer and are much, much better. check out the album Comalies. ;D

BizzyBone7
02-21-2004, 01:55 PM
that band is nothing man. you need to check out LACUNA COIL. theyve been doing it longer and are much, much better. check out the album Comalies. ;D

ive heard mixed reviews about Evanescence...i like that cd, but people say they didnt. ive heard more people say they liked it than they didnt tho.

Ive never heard of Lacuna COil. i dont like real hard rock, like i said i listen to hip hop mainly, but i like all kidns of music. can u compare them to a band out there?

Northman
02-21-2004, 01:58 PM
ive heard mixed reviews about Evanescence...i like that cd, but people say they didnt. ive heard more people say they liked it than they didnt tho.

Ive never heard of Lacuna COil. i dont like real hard rock, like i said i listen to hip hop mainly, but i like all kidns of music. can u compare them to a band out there?

well, thats kind of where i was heading. see, LC is a lot like evanescence only a bit more rock into it. but, if you heard Christinas voice in LC you would just melt man. if you have any kind of file transfer software then check out these tracks:

swamped
heavens a lie
purify.

these are some good tunes. LC isnt a real heavy band but they are more rock oriented than Evanescence. see what you think. 8')

BizzyBone7
02-21-2004, 02:22 PM
they were pretty good...i liked that purify one. they both have good voices but the LC one sounded kinda like more of an 80s singer. thats good tho cuz i like 80s music. like i said they both have amazing voices

Hogan11
02-21-2004, 11:40 PM
As of 2/22...

Maxeen..."Maxeen" (the return of The Police with a little more sugar in the sac for those who don't know)
The Rhinos "The Year Of The Rhinos" (Think The Byrds updated to 2004)
The Young Rascals "Groovin'" (Childhood faves..blue eyed soul was never better done..so screw you Mitch Ryder!!)
Bob Dylan "Greatest Hits Vol. 2" (no explaination necessary)
The Police "Regatta De Blanc" (to match up with Maxeen).

Arkie
02-22-2004, 12:29 AM
In the car: OutKast - The Love Down Below
At home: Dylan - Blonde on Blonde; Beatles - Abbey Road

Evenrude
02-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Let's see, lately I've been listening to....

Jimmy Buffett - Before the Beach
Todd Snider - Viva Satellite & Step Right Up
Grateful Dead - What a Long Strange Trip it's Been
Fish Naked - Fresh Catch
Jerry Jeff Walker - Great Gonzos

I'm on one of my mello kicks....

alkemical
02-22-2004, 06:12 PM
I just picked up the latest dizzee rascal cd - interesting -

Elway's #1
02-26-2004, 11:09 AM
a burned springsteen mix, and Born to Run - Springsteen

BizzyBone7
02-26-2004, 11:21 AM
I just picked up the latest dizzee rascal cd - interesting -

that any good...i heard a couple songs and i cant understand what he says, but ive heard good things

mblackwind
03-07-2004, 09:48 PM
CDs currently or recently in my players...

Inkubus Sukkubus - Vampyre Erotica (British witch rock)
Covenant - Northern Lights (Euro electronika)
Skinny Puppy - Cleanse Fold & Manipulate (classic industrial)
Sisters of Mercy - A Slight Case of Overbombing (goth/alt rock)
Crematory - Believe (German black metal)
Therion - Vovin (Norwegian symphonic metal)
Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
Motorhead - Bastards
TOY - Space Radio (German electro-pop)
Tristesse de la Lune - Empty Hearts (German electro-goth)
Rammstein - Mutter
Apoptygma Berzerk - Welcome to Earth (Euro electronika)
Coal Chamber - Chamber Music
Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar

Regards,
Morgan

FADERPROOF
03-08-2004, 03:42 PM
To much of RHogans dissgress, I have "Permission to Land" by the Darkness in my CD player.

Hogan11
03-08-2004, 10:30 PM
To much of RHogans dissgress, I have "Permission to Land" by the Darkness in my CD player.

Man, that's a dreadful CD...the ultra-cheesy video must be selling that thing.

Whatever melts your butter though...you'd probably dig Uriah Heep if you like that Darkness stuff Prez...I'm serious.

Anyways, the last CD's I had in the player were Lou Reed's "New York", King Crimson's "Red" and "Pure Mania" by The Vibrators.

FADERPROOF
03-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Been listening to a mix of CKY stuff as well, "96 quite bitter beings" has to be one of the catchiest songs ever.

FADERPROOF
03-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Got UNLOCo's "Becoming I" in my CD player now, good band.

esky23
03-10-2004, 06:02 PM
The only CD I have in my stereo right now is Chingys... I dont know what its called cause I burnt it but who cares..LOL...

twotimes3233
03-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Right now?

Pat Metheny Group: Offramp
Steve Earle: Just an American Boy (live)
John Coltrane: Blue Train
Brand X: Do they Hurt?
Pat Metheny: Bright Size Life

alkemical
03-14-2004, 07:42 PM
The gray album (Mix of white album & black album (Jay-Z) - I must say that this cd, makes me like jay-z and understand why the beatles are/were so good.

Maximus
03-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Car:

Neucleus | Space is the place!
Kenny Garrett
Joe
Erika Badu
Kraftwerk
The Art Of Noise

Home:

India Arie
Sade
Michael Brecker
westside Connection
Gerald Levert

Hogan11
03-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Been on a real jazz kick as of late....been playing a lot of Miles, especially "In A Silent Way" and "Bitches Brew" (which really scares the hell out of the dog Ha!)

Maximus
03-15-2004, 09:45 PM
The first time I listened to Bitches Brew I got scared... :-) Try Marcus Millers New One... That reminds me I have to get that one back from my friends at the Sound Concept.

Mtbrncofn
03-16-2004, 07:50 PM
In my car now:

Godsmack - Faceless
Godsmack - Awake
Chevelle -
Shinedown - Leave a Whisper
Limp Bizkit - Choc Starfish and Hotdog Flavored Water
POD - all of them

House:

Kids sing vol 3

Clockwork Orange
03-16-2004, 10:39 PM
In the CD player right as of this moment:

Scorpions: Greatest Hits
Type O Negative: Life Is Killing Me
Marilyn Manson: The Golden Age Of Grotesque
Ozzy Osbourne: The Ozzman Cometh
Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power

Hogan11
03-17-2004, 08:15 AM
The first time I listened to Bitches Brew I got scared... :-) .

You know, it's saying something when a jazz CD can conjure more frightening power than any death metal I've ever heard..."Bitches Brew" is one of the most intense and polarizing recordings I know of...it really destroys anything it comes up against...I know a lot of people hate that record for one reason or another but I've always dug it...then again, I like free jazz and was a huge no wave fan as well and I've never ran into another soul that likes any of that stuff (which if you're not into it, it can clear a room of people in record time Ha!).

Try Marcus Millers New One... That reminds me I have to get that one back from my friends at the Sound Concept.

Will do Max, thanks for the tip.

bronco militia
03-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Chevelle
Metallica -St. Anger
Sevendust-Seasons
Metallica-Garage Inc (disk 1)
Metallica-Garage Inc (disk 2)
Rage against the Machine-Rage against the Machine
System of a down-Toxicity
Korn-Take a look in the Mirror

Mtbrncofn
03-17-2004, 02:50 PM
Great choices, bm. I have a lot of those myself.

bronco militia
03-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Great choices, bm. I have a lot of those myself.

:militia: :militia: :militia:

alkemical
03-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Dave Weckle (Live and very plugged in) (I'm on a jazz kick too Hogan! :) )
Miles Davis (Kind of Blue)
NWA 100miles and runnin
nina simone (Her finest hr)
Velvet Underground

Hogan11
03-19-2004, 05:13 PM
"Kind Of Blue"....man, whatta classic that is.

You ever hear Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby"? I love that CD.

Checked out some classic Steely Dan from the boxset today as well as some early Grand Funk Railroad (love the self-titled red album).

Amesj...when you say "Velvet Underground" are you talkin' the self-titled album or what??

Maximus
03-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Davis Fans... the world is still good! You guys made pull out my stuff tonight... Miles Davis Marathon!

Maximus
03-19-2004, 06:56 PM
Any Jean Luc Ponty fans out there?

Hogan11
03-19-2004, 07:44 PM
Fear the Brew

alkemical
03-19-2004, 08:16 PM
hogan, yes the self titled one...

Hogan11
03-19-2004, 08:32 PM
hogan, yes the self titled one...

What a great album...nice quiet relaxing cool....

Used to jam forever on "What Goes On"...."Some KInda Love" & "I'm Set Free" were also my faves off that cd....great choice.

alkemical
03-19-2004, 08:44 PM
You ever hear Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby"?

no i have not

The song that did it for me with the underground hogan was "heroin" - because of how mo's drums sound like a heartbeat...then they just stop...

Hogan11
03-19-2004, 08:54 PM
You ever hear Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby"?

no i have not

The song that did it for me with the underground hogan was "heroin" - because of how mo's drums sound like a heartbeat...then they just stop...

Bill Evans was a great piano jazz player...the Waltz CD is a jazz classic.

"Heroin" is an amazing tune...Mo playing her drums on their side...I've seen pics of her set and still can't believe she played like that. The song deserves it's hype, no doubt...I love how it starts with that great great lick.

The song from VU & Nico that I never was thrilled with was "Venus In Furs"...never was a fan of "The Black Angel's Death Song" either...always thought both were way overrated.

Do you have the Velvets Boxset?

Mogulseeker
03-20-2004, 11:30 AM
I cant take out the new CD "About A Burning Fire" from a Swedish hardcore band named Blindside.

Mogulseeker
03-20-2004, 11:33 AM
every time I hear that song by the darkness I look around to see if any martians heads are exploding

I believe in a thing called love!

That song rocks...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
03-21-2004, 11:03 PM
CDs in your player now

David Garfield--"Giving Back"
http://www.creatchy.com

Frank Gambale--"Coming to Your Senses"
http://www.frankgambale.com/pages/home.html

Carl Verheyen--"Atlas Overload"
http://www.carlverheyen.com

Scott Henderson--"Well to the Bone"
http://www.scotthenderson.net/

Steve Lukather--"Lukather"
http://www.stevelukather.net/

Hogan11
03-22-2004, 06:49 AM
CDs in your player now

David Garfield--"Giving Back"
http://www.creatchy.com

Frank Gambale--"Coming to Your Senses"

Carl Verheyen--"Atlas Overload"

Scott Henderson--"Well to the Bone"

Steve Lukather--"Lukather"
http://www.stevelukather.net/

Well, it finally happened......someone totally stumped me....I never heard of any of these....looks like I've got a little checking out to do.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
03-24-2004, 12:38 AM
I never heard of any of these....looks like I've got a little checking out to do.

Scott Henderson, Carl Verheyen, and Frank Gambale are all shamefully underexposed, monster guitarists, IMO. Scott plays jazz, fusion, and blues. Carl plays every style know to man. Frank plays fusion.

BRONCOCHIEF
03-24-2004, 06:40 AM
I've Had The "college Dropout" By Kanye West In My Car Cd Player Ever Since It Came Out!!! That Cd Is Really Good. At Home I Got The Speakerboxx-outkast Cd, Along With Pink Floyd-the Final Cut , Dave Matthews- Live, Jay-z The Black Album, And N.e.r.d.- Clones.

BizzyBone7
03-24-2004, 10:45 AM
I've Had The "college Dropout" By Kanye West In My Car Cd Player Ever Since It Came Out!!! That Cd Is Really Good. .

that cd is crazy.

i have a couple changes...i have the kanye west too, with cassidy, bone thugs n harmony, and cap.one.

PHP
03-24-2004, 02:21 PM
i dont have a cd player of my own. i have the new dell DJ. 15 gb. i have mostly rap and rock and some oldies. my dad is going to let me borrow som old cds so i can put them on my mp3. i just need songs

dustybottoms
03-28-2004, 09:08 AM
home
outkast/southernplayalisticadillacmusak
slightly stoopid/unknown
tribe called quest/midnight marauders
the red garland trio/a garland of red

car
the dwarves/the dwarves are young and good looking

bpc
03-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Sweet reading so far everybody.

As for me, I think the last CD's I bought were Rkelly's greatest hits and the new Lincoln Park CD. I'm seriously considering going out and getting the new Usher cd. The dude is bad, what can you say? Him and RKelly rule the hip hop and RandB circle right now as far as I'm concerned.

Then again, i've always been a fan of a whole bunch of different music so I'm down to try and check out some things that you all have talked about. Maybe I'll experiment and find some things I like. I'm into this kick of burning music now by the year... those are becoming my favorite CDs just because it was when I was growing up. I have 90-94 catalogued with my favorite hits for each of those years. If you are a mostly mainstream fan, check out www.popculturemadness.com/music/. They have all the stuff that billboard tries to charge you for.

Hey bone, is the Kanye West CD any good? That hit with twista is bad. I never really have followed twista all that much but you have to respect his flow. Also, I was a huge Bone fan growing up... who wasn't? I actually got to work security for their concert last year in a town right by Springfield Missouri. There wasn't a ton of people as their name has cooled off a lot since 96'97, but it was still sweet. I got to be backstage security so I got to see Krazy, and most of the bone members but that one dip$hit member wasn't there... I want to say buzy bone or whatever. Anyways, I was jamming to thuggish ruggish bone and all the old classics. It took me through my teenage years for sure but then only seeing like 200 fans made me feel pretty bad that they had to slum it out in a concert like that. I think they have just about run their course in music as much as I hate to say it. They were all good guys as were most of the Mo Thugs family too. Just thought you might want to hear that story.

Popps
03-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Currently...

-And You Will Know us by the Trail of the Dead (Debut)

-Belle and Sebastian-Tiger Milk

-Deftones-White Pony

-Husker Du-New Day Rising

-Bob Dylan-Freewheelin'

-Rollins Band-End of Silence

Queens of the Stone Age still spending ample time in the tray. Lots of Johnny Cash, too.

---

Hogan11
03-31-2004, 04:37 AM
Husker Du & The Rollins Band?? Popps, you do have a set afterall!! Ha! j/k

Is New Day Rising you fave Du disc? Flip Your Wig was always mine but it seems to keep being overlooked (Have them all but Land Speed Record which is a horrible sounding CD).

I'm a big time Rollins Band fan as well....tell me, have you ever checked out the Lifetime CD?? I'd highly recommend that if you haven't...great stuff.

Popps
03-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Hogan,

Actually.. believe it or not, Flip your Wig is my all-time favorite Huskers CD. Most people think I'm crazy. Very strange to have someone agree with me on that. To me, it's where their songwriting really came together. Kind of the perfect blend of their earlier edge, and their later pop sensibility.

Reminds me of the Clash Give 'em Enough Rope. It's one of those records that I've always loved, but most Clash fans don't dig it much.

I don't have the Lifetime CD. Is that new?

Hogan11
03-31-2004, 01:38 PM
Hogan,

Actually.. believe it or not, Flip your Wig is my all-time favorite Huskers CD. Most people think I'm crazy. Very strange to have someone agree with me on that. To me, it's where their songwriting really came together. Kind of the perfect blend of their earlier edge, and their later pop sensibility.

Reminds me of the Clash Give 'em Enough Rope. It's one of those records that I've always loved, but most Clash fans don't dig it much.

I don't have the Lifetime CD. Is that new?

Good analogy on Wig ...probably because it came out almost right on
top of Rising is the reason why it's seemingly overlooked....great cd though.."Private Plane" is my all time fave Husker Du song.

Lifetime is the first official Rollins Band release from '88...IMO it is their greatest overall recording...totally solid and fearsome from top to bottom. Seen them in a small club in Rochester NY that summer and was right in front of the man the entire show....that is one very intense individual...along with a B.B. King show caught up close, it remains one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

Check out the cover...it sounds like it looks.

Popps
03-31-2004, 10:40 PM
That's awesome. I've seen Rollins live, but always in big venues. Still a good show.

I saw Husker Du in 1988. I believe it was right before they released Candyapple Grey. They played at a little hole in St. Louis and Soul Asylum opened up for them. That was back when Soul Asylum was decent. What a phenomenal show that was.

Hogan11
04-01-2004, 06:59 AM
That's awesome. I've seen Rollins live, but always in big venues. Still a good show.

I saw Husker Du in 1988. I believe it was right before they released Candyapple Grey. They played at a little hole in St. Louis and Soul Asylum opened up for them. That was back when Soul Asylum was decent. What a phenomenal show that was.

Yeah, Rollins is not to be missed. One of these days I'll catch the spoken word thing he does....ever seen one of them Popps?

I wanted to see Du when the Warehouse tour came around my area, but a wicked snowstorm kept me fromt he four hour drive. I should've braved it but thought I'd catch them next time. Huge mistake.....that was a terrible year IMO..Husker Du, Black Flag & Dead Kennedys all folding up the tent at roughly the same time...there were some long months there before The Pixies finally showed up.

BizzyBone7
04-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Hey bone, is the Kanye West CD any good?
yes its very good. i was actually surprised how good it really is. its a classic IMO, he just does it way different than everyone else.

I never really have followed twista all that much but you have to respect his flow.
yea he is one of the fastest ever

Also, I was a huge Bone fan growing up... who wasn't? I actually got to work security for their concert last year in a town right by Springfield Missouri. There wasn't a ton of people as their name has cooled off a lot since 96'97, but it was still sweet. I got to be backstage security so I got to see Krazy, and most of the bone members but that one dip$hit member wasn't there... I want to say buzy bone or whatever. Anyways, I was jamming to thuggish ruggish bone and all the old classics. It took me through my teenage years for sure but then only seeing like 200 fans made me feel pretty bad that they had to slum it out in a concert like that. I think they have just about run their course in music as much as I hate to say it. They were all good guys as were most of the Mo Thugs family too. Just thought you might want to hear that story.

u worked security? i guess there wasnt much action cuz they have cooled off. they still got a good fan base just not as big as it was. i think there starting to get some back cuz they are off there old record label and shopping around for a big deal. Krayzie and Layzie are on a bunch of peoples albums, most notably Krayzie is on Lil Johns new album and Dead Prez's.
it prolly was bizzy who wasnt there, he has been in and out of the group since crossroads.
Mo Thugs have lost it too. they had a good crew at first then fell off alot. I hear they do put on a decent show tho.

How were they backstage?

Popps
04-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Yeah, Rollins is not to be missed. One of these days I'll catch the spoken word thing he does....ever seen one of them Popps?

I wanted to see Du when the Warehouse tour came around my area, but a wicked snowstorm kept me fromt he four hour drive. I should've braved it but thought I'd catch them next time. Huge mistake.....that was a terrible year IMO..Husker Du, Black Flag & Dead Kennedys all folding up the tent at roughly the same time...there were some long months there before The Pixies finally showed up.

That sucks... yea, I had a similar story with Black Flag. Always was a huge fan, and they came to St. Louis... I want to say it was like 86, on the Loose Nut tour. (Which is another album that I love, but most Flag fans don't)
I had a gig with my own band that night, and blew off the Flag show.. just assuming that I'd get another chance to see them. They never came back.

Never saw the DKs. They didn't come through STL much. I did go bowling with Jello in San Francisco, though. lol! (A record label my band was on bowled against Alternative Tentacles)

Hogan11
04-01-2004, 01:12 PM
That sucks... yea, I had a similar story with Black Flag. Always was a huge fan, and they came to St. Louis... I want to say it was like 86, on the Loose Nut tour. (Which is another album that I love, but most Flag fans don't)
I had a gig with my own band that night, and blew off the Flag show.. just assuming that I'd get another chance to see them. They never came back.

Never saw the DKs. They didn't come through STL much. I did go bowling with Jello in San Francisco, though. lol! (A record label my band was on bowled against Alternative Tentacles)

Yeah, I wasn't that big on "Loose Nut" myself...seemed that the live versions of that stuff on "Who's Got The 10 1/2?" had a bit more life to them. (just my opinion though, no big thing).

You bowled with Jello?? I bet that was something else...remember when he was running for the Green Party nomination in 2000? Imagine that guy in a debate Ha!

-Slap-
04-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Son Seals - Midnight Son

Freddie King - Burglar

Willie Dixon - Hidden Charms

Lonnie Mack - Live! Attack of the Killer V

Louis Jordan - The Best of Louis Jordan

Coco Montoya - Can't Look Back

Shemekia Copeland - Wicked

Popps
04-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Hogan,

Yea... Loose Nut is very dreary/droney/studio sounding. I can see why a lot of Flag fans didn't dig it. It was a different direction. Just something about the chance they took with it that I liked. Almost had a metal edge to it... but kind of a druggy, grey feeling as well.

lol! Yea, I remember when Jello ran for the Green Party. He actually ran for mayor of San Francisco back in the day, too. (before I lived there, though) I'm surprised the kooks up there didn't elect him. Of course, he couldn't have done much worse than what we had up there.

Hogan11
04-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Hogan,

Yea... Loose Nut is very dreary/droney/studio sounding. I can see why a lot of Flag fans didn't dig it. It was a different direction. Just something about the chance they took with it that I liked. Almost had a metal edge to it... but kind of a druggy, grey feeling as well.

I'm not so sure it had to do with production....the only reason I say that is because In My Head had the same type of sound but the material seemed to be much more animated with that one....not as draggy. I'm not saying I didn't dig Nut at all, it's just my least fave recording of theirs (save for maybe Live '84 or The Process Of Weeding Out EP...but it's a tough call IMO). I'll never forget the looks a few of those tracks got when played for those unaware of the Flag Ha!
I had a friend who did a radio show at the college I went to and he used to play the opening part of Madonna's extended mix of "Dress You Up In My Love" and while it was going, read Hank's "Madonna" poem over it in a totally deadpan voice...when he ws finished reading it, he'd cut to the Flag's "Crazy Girl" immediately....Ha! It was pretty cool IMO and always generated a few calls to the station.

lol! Yea, I remember when Jello ran for the Green Party. He actually ran for mayor of San Francisco back in the day, too. (before I lived there, though) I'm surprised the kooks up there didn't elect him. Of course, he couldn't have done much worse than what we had up there.

Yeah, I read about his Mayoral run...he promised to make all the businessmen wear clown suits or something like that...he actually came in 4th or 3rd I think...not sure of that though, since it was a long time ago that I read that.

I wonder if Maximum Rock- N - Roll still does a radio show...I seen that fanzine the other day and almost picked it up...I have a ton of those things laying around dating back to the early '80's but haven't bought one in years...I wonder what it's like now....did you ever check that out?

Hogan11
04-02-2004, 03:20 PM
4/2/04

BLACK FLAG - Loose Nut (thanks Popps!)
BLACK FLAG - In My Head (Thanks again Popps!)
HUSKER DU - Flip Your Wig (Due to Popps again!)
OPERATION IVY - Operation Ivy
CHEAP TRICK - Disc 1 of the Sex, America, Cheap Trick box set

Pseudo-retro week I guess Ha!

TheManeMan
04-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Op Ivy...GREAT ALBUM...although all songs are great, my favorite song is number...12 Bad Town

Hogan11
04-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Op Ivy...GREAT ALBUM...although all songs are great, my favorite song is number...12 Bad Town

Must be the bouncy sax in it eh? ;D

The disc has become legendary over the years....."Sound System" is my personal anthem and fave from it. "Unity" especially is absolutely breathtaking in it's power...the whole thing is an early touchstone for the ska-punk movement and is essential to any modern music collection IMO.

I wish they were still around but that's life....I can settle for Rancid with no problem at all.

TheManeMan
04-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Yeah...I liked Tim Armstrong more with Op Ivy rather than Rancid....Atleast beyond their 1st 2-3 albums

Hogan11
04-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Yeah...I liked Tim Armstrong more with Op Ivy rather than Rancid....Atleast beyond their 1st 2-3 albums

Rancid has never matched Ivy material wise....still Rancid is great stuff and is perferrable to say Less Than Jake (Pezcore being the lone exception there IMO.)

Have you ever checked out The Pietasters Champ? They're more ska than punk but remain one of my fave acts of all time and the ultimate party/drinking band....I'd recommend any of their releases.

Mogulseeker
04-03-2004, 07:04 PM
Well, it finally happened......someone totally stumped me....I never heard of any of these....looks like I've got a little checking out to do.

Ever heard of blindside?

Doubt it, they're from Sweden. A great hardcore band. Actually since signing with electrica, they have been more "mainstream" hardcore... they aint no puss Linkin Park or Trapt though. Friend of mine compaired them to the Deftones, but I dont know...

http://www.blindside-silence.com/

I dont know if you dig hardcore, but I LOVE Blindside.

TheManeMan
04-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Rancid has never matched Ivy material wise....still Rancid is great stuff and is perferrable to say Less Than Jake (Pezcore being the lone exception there IMO.)

Have you ever checked out The Pietasters Champ? They're more ska than punk but remain one of my fave acts of all time and the ultimate party/drinking band....I'd recommend any of their releases.

No I havent heard of them...well i've heard of them but, havent heard their stuff...I havent listened to too much ska besides guys like the Specials, the Toasters, Metaskaphales, MU330, Mustard Plug, Madness...ill definitely go check the pietasters out...

TheManeMan
04-04-2004, 12:17 AM
These Blindside guys arent that bad, I liked Pitiful

Mogulseeker
04-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Pietasters rock.

My favorite ska band will alway be Five Iron Frenzy though, just because they are from Denver and they have some real lyrics, as in really though provoking.

http://www.fiveironfrenzy.com/

Hogan11
04-04-2004, 10:07 PM
No I havent heard of them...well i've heard of them but, havent heard their stuff...I havent listened to too much ska besides guys like the Specials, the Toasters, Metaskaphales, MU330, Mustard Plug, Madness...ill definitely go check the pietasters out...

Here's a link to the official Pietasters home page, they have a sounds section there where you can check them out...plus lots of great photos throughout the years. They are great guys as well...very generous.

http://www.stevelaplaca.com/pie/piehome.html

Good bands all that you mentioned...I had the chance to go check out Mustard Plug last year and didn't go....I regret it, I really like them as well. Check out the Voodoo Glow Skulls if you're interested in hardcore skapunk at all..they're cool as well but are much better in concert than they are on CD for some odd reason IMO.

Hogan11
04-04-2004, 10:12 PM
Pietasters rock.

My favorite ska band will alway be Five Iron Frenzy though, just because they are from Denver and they have some real lyrics, as in really though provoking.

http://www.fiveironfrenzy.com/

I like Five Iron well enough...to be honest, I haven't heard much Ska or skapunk that I didn't like...other than the ever bland and boring Catch 22, I'm at a bit of a loss to come up with another ska/skapunk band I dislike.

TheManeMan
04-05-2004, 01:34 AM
OH yeah i forgot to mention the VooDoo, I saw them in concert like 5 years back with Lagwagon and Ten Foot Pole...GREAT SHOW man...thanks for the pietasters link....they are pretty good

dustybottoms
04-05-2004, 02:12 AM
some great local denver punk hailing from Golden

www.belfastcarbomb.com

nooner
04-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Ryan Adams-Rock n Roll
Cheap Trick-homemade best of
Bowling For Soup-homemade best of
Faith No More-The Real Thing
Sugar-Copper Blue
The Replacement-homemade best of

Hogan11
04-05-2004, 11:30 AM
Cheap Trick-homemade best of

You had to have put He's A Whore on that...didn't cha?

I used to love playing that song.

nooner
04-05-2004, 12:57 PM
of course, that song kicks ass

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-05-2004, 08:40 PM
On heavy rotation in the car, house, bathroom, etc., this week:

http://www.audiophileimports.com/thumbs/landau_live2000.jpg

Slammin'!

http://audiophileimports.com/cgi-bin/ai/cart.cgi/id=6627.dialup-4.227.169.77.dial1.denver1.level3.net&command=listitems&pos=20&type=search?search=michael%20landau

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-05-2004, 08:43 PM
BTW, if anyone is planning to be in Tokyo between 4/21 and 4/24, Landau is playing at the Blue Note w/ Robben Ford, Jimmy Haslip, and Vinnie Colaiuta.

Arkie
04-06-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm playing this 45 on my turntable now.
http://hometown.aol.com/jmcle97000/pacfev.jpg
I've got pacman fever, pacman fever
Driving me crazy, driving me crazy
Going out of my mind, going out of my mind

FADERPROOF
04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
13th step by A Perfect Circle is a stroke of genius.

Pezman
04-06-2004, 06:25 PM
The soundtrack to "Groove", also been listening to the Beasties quite a bit lately...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-07-2004, 04:16 AM
http://www.johnhumphrey.com/images/scott/us_cover.jpg

http://www.johnhumphrey.com/scott_new_album.html

alkemical
04-13-2004, 10:27 PM
you know what - from learning alot of music and really playing alot of it, and alot of different styles... i think there are only a few people who are in the rocket scientist club..

classical composers -

true revolutionaries in music...

a perfect circle - no

sorry denfan, i'm a tool fan, but APC is a cheap imitation....

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-20-2004, 02:23 AM
http://www.frankgambale.com/media/Raison D'etre Cover photo.jpg

Mr
04-21-2004, 10:25 AM
"The smalls" "To Each A Zone"
"The Dead Kennedys" "Give Me Convenience Or Give Me Death"
"Johnny Cash" "American IV: The Man Comes Around"
"Alice In Chains" "Dirt"
"The Beastie Boys" "Licensed To Ill"
"Violent World" "A Tribute To The Misfits"
"System Of A Down" self titled
"Faith No More" "King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime"
"Sepultura" "Nation"
"Pigface" "Fook"

Ray Finkle
04-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Home-Led Zep, Jane's addiction (nothing's shocking), Faith no More (King for a day)

Car-Cortez, Clutch, Soul Fly, Fear Factory and Anthrax....My northern VA angry driving music...

Hogan11
04-22-2004, 01:13 PM
Matthew Sweet - Time Capsule
The Rhinos - Year Of The Rhinos
R.E.M. - Reckoning
The Byrds - Turn, Turn, Turn
Big Star - #1 Record/Radio City

Something about springtime makes me yearn for jangly guitars.

TheManeMan
04-22-2004, 07:24 PM
Bad Religion - The Empire Strikes First

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Luda -- You's a ho (10 inch import mix)

Mr Chatterboodamn
04-22-2004, 09:40 PM
I'm playing this 45 on my turntable now.
http://hometown.aol.com/jmcle97000/pacfev.jpg
Driving me crazy, driving me crazy
Going out of my mind, going out of my mind

they're cool... you should also check the wargames soundtrack. the game that still rocks my world: Jungle Hunt

shiddd anything Taito for that matter

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-23-2004, 01:40 AM
http://www.stevelukather.net/images/albums/candymanll.jpg

http://www.stevelukather.net/images/albums/loslobotomys2.jpg

alkemical
04-23-2004, 06:40 AM
i'm listening to the roots right now

Mr
04-23-2004, 07:31 PM
James Brown - 20 Greatest
all day long

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-25-2004, 03:58 AM
http://www.carlverheyen.com/images/slangjustice.jpg

http://www.carlverheyen.com/images/garagesale.jpg

Mr
04-25-2004, 12:21 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/000_lynardskynard.jpg

Excellent Sunday Album

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-25-2004, 10:49 PM
http://www.frankgambale.com/media/CD's/passages.jpg

http://www.frankgambale.com/media/CD's/FGlive.jpg

http://www.frankgambale.com/media/CD's/senses.jpg

Disco Man
04-26-2004, 11:20 AM
The Cult-Love The Donnas-Spend the night The living daylights soundtrack
The Cult-Beyond good and evil The Donnas-Turn 21 Elvis-#1 Hits

Hogan11
04-26-2004, 01:00 PM
The Cult-Love The Donnas-Spend the night The living daylights soundtrack
The Cult-Beyond good and evil The Donnas-Turn 21 Elvis-#1 Hits

I love The Donnas...absolutely love them.

If you dig The Cult...what do you think of Ian singing for The Doors 21st Century Disco?? I'm just curious...I really don't know what to make of it myself.

Disco Man
04-26-2004, 01:40 PM
I love The Donnas...absolutely love them.

If you dig The Cult...what do you think of Ian singing for The Doors 21st Century Disco?? I'm just curious...I really don't know what to make of it myself.
I don't know myself, I wouldn't mind it if it doesn't mean the end of The Cult.They are my favorite band , The donnas are up there . Every record that The Donnas have made I enjoy.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-26-2004, 03:27 PM
http://www.scotthenderson.net/realpic2.jpg

http://www.scotthenderson.net/nomad2.jpg

Mr
04-26-2004, 06:16 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/RamonesRocket.jpg

I miss these guys

Hogan11
04-27-2004, 01:31 PM
"Gabba Gabba Hey!" Mr. :thumbsup:

I can't get that Rhinos CD out of the player...the rest of it is currently taken up by the Citizen Steely Dan box set. Love the sub-title in the booklet "Hard drinking and coarse thinking" Ha!

TheManeMan
04-27-2004, 07:08 PM
Xzibit - At The Speed of Life

Mr
04-28-2004, 08:10 AM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/Primus_-_PorkSoda.jpg

Aint nothin quite like sittn' round the house......
Sippin on them cans o' swine.

BizzyBone7
04-28-2004, 10:57 AM
http://art.towerrecords.com/coverart.asp?S=2893456&X=178&Y=178

best rapper no ones heard of

Mr
04-28-2004, 04:51 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/How_will_I_Laugh.jpg
Day Off/Clean The House Music

No1BroncoFan
04-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Bands on the current playlist:
Staind
Tool (how in the hell could I not hear these guys before now?!? It's a deep dark closet I've been living in, I guess! :D)
Lit
Saliva
No Doubt
Sublime

Ben

Hogan11
04-29-2004, 09:57 AM
Lit

I really like Lit.....they're a little shakey live, but the CD's have been solid.

We finally have temps in the 70's where I am...and for some reason, that made me break out The Black Crowes "Southern Harmony And Musical Compainon" CD...a great work of neo-Stonesish rock to blast from the car and annoy all the bass blaring homeboys with Ha! You should see how they look...they act like they never heard the sound of an electric guitar before Ha!.

TheManeMan
04-29-2004, 06:49 PM
I saw Lit open up a concert for the Offspring about 4 years ago...when they were 1st coming out...I thought they sucked....but, That was only because I was there of Offspring and didnt want to hear those guys...havent heard anything recent from them though...

Mr
04-30-2004, 07:38 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/John_Lee_Hooker.jpg

Todays tunes

epicSocialism4tw
05-01-2004, 12:01 AM
1. Yanni-"Unearthly Sound of Torture"
2. John Tesh-"Trickle-Down Pianomics"
3. Yoko Ono -"Screams"
4. That Canadian band with the normal looking guy with long blonde hair that sings on the Spiderman album -"We Couldn't Sound Any Less Original"
5. Puddle of Mudd-"How Else Can We Rip Off Nirvana Poorly?"
6. Norah Jones-"Anyone Else Tired of This Boring Spiel?"
7. Outkast-"My Producer Made Me Include Songs for White People"
8. Slipknot-"Boy, This Gimmick is Old!"
9. P-Doodie-"Yeah, I'm Rich"
10. Indigo Girls-"Someone Actually Likes This Crap?"

those are my top ten

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-01-2004, 03:37 AM
http://www.scotthenderson.net/torepic2.jpg

http://www.scotthenderson.net/illicit2.jpg

Hogan11
05-01-2004, 07:34 AM
10. Indigo Girls-"Someone Actually Likes This Crap?"

I was with you until this. I like the Indigo Girls on the whole, it wasn't until the very late '90's that they became increasingly more militant and strident with the political and homosexual thing....that made them just unbearable to me which is why I'd never recommend anything past Swamp Ophiliea

I met Amy Ray once back in the late 80's in Athens GA just before the self-titled CD came out and she was very nice and talkative. They came off as a female version of Aztec Two-Step then....great harmonies, great guitar interplay, good to great non-preachy material....now all the pluses are ruined by endless preaching about their political and lifestyle stance....tragic indeed.

broncoblue
05-02-2004, 03:23 PM
I got (bet none of you guys know em....gooogle them ...not kids....THE MACC LADS.
ON DVd i again (anyone know him?USA?)chubby brown.......kazza him .

BizzyBone7
05-02-2004, 04:58 PM
hey broncoblue...your from England...u ever hear of a group called the Blazin Squad...they redid the crossroads from Bone thugs. just curious

BizzyBone7
05-02-2004, 05:02 PM
this is the last group iim gonna endorse...if you are a rap fan, i recomend this, Graveyard Shift, they were in mo thugs and have a couple songs on the 1st and 2nd mo thug albums. there other music is extremely hard to find, but u can get on mp3.com and they have some on kazaa. if u find make a wish get that one. anyways, they would have single handedly changed the game of hip hop. they talk about real stuff and harmonize too. two of the members got shot and one is AWOL. its a shame

broncoblue
05-03-2004, 12:37 PM
hey broncoblue...your from England...u ever hear of a group called the Blazin Squad...they redid the crossroads from Bone thugs. just curious
there a pile of raider retards

Hogan11
05-03-2004, 04:39 PM
I got (bet none of you guys know em....gooogle them ...not kids....THE MACC LADS.
ON DVd i again (anyone know him?USA?)chubby brown.......kazza him .

I never heard these guys so I checked out the band's site....it looks interesting but I can't find waves of these guys anywhere....they look like they may be an Oi! band....are they blue?

Mr
05-03-2004, 08:24 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/Crass1.jpg http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/Crass2.jpg
I thrive on Crass. This is the good stuff.

Hogan11
05-03-2004, 10:16 PM
http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/Crass1.jpg http://img50.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/Crass2.jpg
I thrive on Crass. This is the good stuff.

Holy shat..Christ..The Album!! my fave of their catalog...never met another Crass fan in my life till now.

"Beg the question...bend the truth...bail out the basement while there's holes in the roof"

Alright Mr.!! :thumbsup: I'd give ya rep for that but it says I have to spread it around some more before I can do so.

broncoblue
05-04-2004, 01:25 PM
I never heard these guys so I checked out the band's site....it looks interesting but I can't find waves of these guys anywhere....they look like they may be an Oi! band....are they blue?

they are/were a rock band that would make axil rose blush.....try kazz lite they usually have stuff on there.

songs include.......SIT ON ME FACE I'LL GUESS YER WEIGHT.

YOU FAT BAST?RD

BEER AND SEX AND CHIPS AND GRAVY .....(translated to you guys .erm..

bud and sex and Big thick English fries and beef gravy with all the juices. :thumbsup:

Mr
05-05-2004, 12:37 AM
Holy shat..Christ..The Album!! my fave of their catalog...never met another Crass fan in my life till now.

"Beg the question...bend the truth...bail out the basement while there's holes in the roof"

Alright Mr.!! :thumbsup: I'd give ya rep for that but it says I have to spread it around some more before I can do so.

My Fav songs are "do they owe us a living" and "banned at the roxy"
but crass has no bad tunes... just better ones

Dr. Broncenstein
05-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Blackalicious - "Blazing Arrow"

Wilco - "Summerteeth" and "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"

Revernd Horton Heat - "Liquor in Front"

Jack Johnson - "Brushfire Fairytales"

Gorillaz - self titled

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-07-2004, 04:13 AM
http://www.scotthenderson.net/vital-two2.jpg

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-07-2004, 04:15 AM
http://www.scotthenderson.net/facepic2.jpg

Hogan11
05-07-2004, 07:33 AM
My Fav songs are "do they owe us a living" and "banned at the roxy"
but crass has no bad tunes... just better ones

Crass will seperate the poseurs from the true believers in a heartbeat as well. I love Christ The Album not only for the cool songs (which is about as accessable as Crass ever got) but the cool editing of sound clips in between each one making it a hypnotic seamless whole....nobody put the ideology over as convincingly either....I miss them and all the trouble they caused.

Hogan11
05-07-2004, 07:40 AM
Afterlife - Joe Jackson Band.

Joe reunites his Look Sharp! band and, in turn, becomes the Man he once was years ago in his "Is She Really Going Out With Him?" days...they still have it and so does he....it makes me happy and angry at the same time. Happy that it works so well and is so timeless and angry because this guy wastes so much time and talent trying to make lofty, BS artistic statements instead of doing what he clearly does best....believe me, this is what these guys do best. Of course, Jackson says it'll never happen again and he's off to compose an opera or some such nonsense....F*ck you Joe.

BizzyBone7
05-10-2004, 10:44 AM
i just got Royce Da 5'9...thats a great cd

Hogan11
05-16-2004, 06:35 PM
I've been spinning Television all weekend long...some great guitar work on those cd's. I'm especially glad I got the "Live At The Old Waldorf" CD from Rhino handmade....limited edition of 5000, barely lasted a month before selling out.

TheManeMan
05-17-2004, 02:02 AM
If any of you like Method Man or WuTang, I recommend you go out and buy this album...it comes out on tuesday, I got my hands on a copy early;D...dope sh!t!...

http://art.towerrecords.com/coverart.asp?S=2993877&X=178&Y=178

BizzyBone7
05-17-2004, 07:48 AM
im not really a method man fan, but ill probably check it out just cuz its meth.

anyways, bizzy bone was on that album but they cut him off for Missy

TheManeMan
05-17-2004, 02:12 PM
anyways, bizzy bone was on that album but they cut him off for Missy

Thank god they took him off...I hate those guys...no offense...

BizzyBone7
05-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Thank god they took him off...I hate those guys...no offense...

its cool...i just cant stand Missy.

TheManeMan
05-17-2004, 04:21 PM
its cool...i just cant stand Missy.

That song isnt that bad...She's mostly in the chorus of the song...

Hogan11
05-28-2004, 06:04 PM
Got a copy of this CD by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs..Fever To Tell...it's amazing...."Maps" will rip your heart out....seen the video for that tune recently as well....pretty powerful IMO...that Karen O is one of the weirdest looking women I've seen and when the tear runs down her cheek while she sings that song.......I believe it...it's a hauntingly beautiful song.

alkemical
05-31-2004, 04:47 PM
hogan,

i've been listening to them for the past few months - i totally am into them - I also go these guys called 'secret machines' - they are pretty good alterna-psycadeli-pop type band......

My morning jacket - influenced by deep purple... too mellow for most metalheads - too moody for hippies.....

and for anyone who hasn't listened to them - black rebel motorcycle club

alkemical
06-10-2004, 07:59 PM
I got the secret machines cd from a friend - not bad, some stellar moments, then they lose it - 3 stars

Hogan11
06-15-2004, 09:07 PM
C'Mon DJ by Mr. Airplane Man

Ever check that stuff out Ames?? I think it's pretty cool myself...

fontaine
06-16-2004, 01:48 AM
The Doors - Waiting for the Sun
Millencolin - Home from Home
LongWave - The Strangest Things

The Kinks - I'm not like everybody else

I won't take all that they hand me down,
And make out a smile, though I wear a frown,
And I won't take it all lying down,
'Cause once I get started I go to town.

'Cause I'm not like everybody else,
I'm not like everybody else,
I'm not like everybody else.

And I don't want to ball about like everybody else,
And I don't want to live my life like everybody else,
And I won't say that I feel fine like everybody else,

But darling, you know that I love you true,
Do anything that you want me to,
Confess all my sins like you want me to,
There's one thing that I will say to you,

I'm not like everybody else

Like everybody else,
Like everybody else,
Like everybody else,
Like everybody else.

If you all want me to settle down,
Slow up and stop all my running 'round,
Do everything like you want me to,
There's one thing that I will say to you,

Like everybody else (like everybody else),
Like everybody else.

fontaine
06-16-2004, 01:53 AM
Got a copy of this CD by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs..Fever To Tell...it's amazing...."Maps" will rip your heart out....seen the video for that tune recently as well....pretty powerful IMO...that Karen O is one of the weirdest looking women I've seen and when the tear runs down her cheek while she sings that song.......I believe it...it's a hauntingly beautiful song.

If you really like The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, then you should check out Scheer.

They were doing the same thing ten years ago. Two of their singles Shea and Wish you were Dead sound just like what The Yeah Yeah Yeahs do now but with much more clearer metallic guitars with less distortation.

Hogan11
06-16-2004, 10:00 AM
I will check in to Scheer Fontaine, thanks for the reference...I've never heard of them before.

Funny thing about Kinks tunes IMO is that they make for even better covers...I like The Kinks and all, but I'm hard pressed to think of another artist who's covers by others are better than the originals...of course, that's just my opinion.

Ever hear the version of "I'm Not LIke Everybody Else" by The Chocolate Watchband?? ....That's my fave version of that song....I loved The Chocolate Watchband anyways...them and Love were two semi-obsecure 60's acts I got into heavily..great, great stuff.

FADERPROOF
06-16-2004, 05:26 PM
I've really been into hard stuff lately, along with my regular dose of tool.

A lot of Swedish death metal along with other hard rock/metal acts such as Shadows fall, morbid angel, mushroom head, spineshank, mudvayne, of course some slayer, and some other bands out there.

fontaine
06-17-2004, 12:59 AM
Funny thing about Kinks tunes IMO is that they make for even better covers...I like The Kinks and all, but I'm hard pressed to think of another artist who's covers by others are better than the originals...of course, that's just my opinion.

Ever hear the version of "I'm Not LIke Everybody Else" by The Chocolate Watchband?? ....That's my fave version of that song....I loved The Chocolate Watchband anyways...them and Love were two semi-obsecure 60's acts I got into heavily..great, great stuff.

That's very true. The Kinks had volumes of great stuff but they do make great covers.

You're right about the Chocolate WatchBand. Their cover of I'm not like Everybody Else is solid. I've tried to find more stuff by them but I know they didn't make a album as far as I know, just a bunch of singles that I haven't been able to source.

If you like that song then you should check out a new version by a dude called Monti Beton. The song featured during the ending credits of a Sopranos episode. I think it was newish one where Tony has all these issues with anger and his sister Janice goes into group therapy for the same thing after punching out another soccer mom during a game.

I know it's changing the subject but did you ever get into Creedence or Neil Young?

Hogan11
06-17-2004, 06:56 AM
That's very true. The Kinks had volumes of great stuff but they do make great covers.

I really cannot think of anyone doing a bad Kinks cover right off the top of my head (ok, maybe The Stranglers but that's still a maybe...they push it Ha!), but I can think of many great ones...it's odd.

You're right about the Chocolate WatchBand. Their cover of I'm not like Everybody Else is a solid. I've tried to find more stuff by them but I know they didn't make a album as far as I know, just a bunch of singles that I haven't been able to source.

I discovered the Watchband like most everyone else did...in the early 80's thru Rhino's Nuggets series with the great "Are You Gonna Be There (At The Love In?). They released three proper albums and then a couple of anthologies and all have appeared on CD: No Way Out,The Inner Mystique and One Step Beyond are extremely hard to find now...you're in the UK or Ireland I believe, if so you stand a great chance of locating them (outside of eBay that is). IMO, The Rhino Best Of is by far the best of the lot...but you're better to locate the vinyl release from 1983 than you are the CD reissue because the "studio remix" nearly ruins the disc. (I consider the "remixed for CD" to be a curse here....like with Agent Orange's When You Least Expect It EP...the remix takes what once was a great record and makes it damn near unlistenable)...There's another compilation out there called 44, but I've never heard it, so I can't tell you about the sound quality.

Hope that helps...good luck and lemme know how you make out if you try to search for them.

If you like that song then you should check out a new version by a dude called Monti Beton. The song featured during the ending credits of a Sopranos episode. I think it was newish one where Tony has all these issues with anger and his sister Janice goes into group therapy for the same thing after punching out another soccer mom during a game.

Never heard that version...I gotta start watching that show...being into Mob movies like I am, I've never had the oppertunity to check it out.

I know it's changing the subject but did you ever get into Creedence or Neil Young?

Something about John Fogerty bugs me, always has...I can't put my finger on it. I was never really into Creedence as a result. I don't hate them or anything like that, they're just kinda there to me.

I find Neil Young to be extremely spotty. I love the usuals..you know Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Harvest & Tonight's The Night and use Decade to sum up the rest of that period....other than a track or two from a CD here and there, I haven't been really interested in his recent stuff since 1990 or so. I've seen him in concert a couple of times but I've never seen him do an electric show.

alkemical
06-17-2004, 08:24 PM
C'Mon DJ by Mr. Airplane Man

Ever check that stuff out Ames?? I think it's pretty cool myself...

Nope, will have to -

I've been listening to alot of interpol, radiohead (kidA) & the roots

dustybottoms
06-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Kill Bill soundtrack one AND two

its like the fricken forrest gump soundtrack, as a whole, great. as a two disk set, not so great. alot of crap in between. two good songs by Charlie Feathers(one on each soundtrack)

FADERPROOF
06-18-2004, 05:45 AM
we NEED more metal fans here...

No1BroncoFan
06-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Currently in the CD players:
Home: John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (soundtrack).
Car: John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (soundtrack).
Work (mp3s): John Williams, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (soundtrack).

I know John Williams isn't for everyone, but if you like orchestra film scores you've got to check this one out. IMHO, the best he's done yet!

Ben

Hogan11
06-18-2004, 04:59 PM

I've been listening to a lot of Motorhead lately....

Lemmy is the Man....he's in his 60's, he plays a Rickenbacker Bass (I have the same one...love the sound of that thing) and he can still kick the ass of anyone out there.

alkemical
06-19-2004, 08:18 AM
denfan -

I like metal, but it has to be good metal -

Sometimes i feel about metal like i do about rap - and there's too many groups/artists/bands/etc who just have a cliche or a gimmick and just recycle that -

Besides - just hearing 32nd notes (and i'm a drummer) get's old sometimes - maybe i'm more of a percussionist..

fontaine
06-22-2004, 06:00 AM

What sort of metal are you into?

I enjoy listening to Rammstein lately. Some of their stuff can be over the top but a good listen nonetheless. I've always like RATM but I guess they've split now. I'm getting into System of Down though, especially some of the frenetic stuff they play. I've been meaning to listen more of Perfect Circle but having gotten into it yet.

FADERPROOF
06-22-2004, 03:25 PM
denfan -

I like metal, but it has to be good metal -

Sometimes i feel about metal like i do about rap - and there's too many groups/artists/bands/etc who just have a cliche or a gimmick and just recycle that -

Besides - just hearing 32nd notes (and i'm a drummer) get's old sometimes - maybe i'm more of a percussionist..

Metal is metal to me, I like it all. It's mostly the drummers that keep me interested, I'm a sucker for double bass and mostly all of metal has them.

FADERPROOF
06-22-2004, 03:43 PM
What sort of metal are you into?

I enjoy listening to Rammstein lately. Some of their stuff can be over the top but a good listen nonetheless. I've always like RATM but I guess they've split now. I'm getting into System of Down though, especially some of the frenetic stuff they play. I've been meaning to listen more of Perfect Circle but having gotten into it yet.

Never a RATM fan, although SOAD kicks ass.

Obivously by my sig I'm a big time Mudvayne fan, and love the hometown metal band of Mushroom Head as well.

A perfect circle, while not metal to me, is beautiful, anything Maynard graces is beautiful to me though but I do suggest checking out their 2 CD's.

Rammstein is very good, I like a lot of European metal like that, there's a few others from Norway and Sweden that are right up there with Rammstein. I'm still a big Korn fan and have been for a long while.

I listen ot a lot of music, if it's rock/hard rock/metal then I'm sure I'll like it.

TheManeMan
06-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Pennywise Live at the Key Club...

http://www.pennywisdom.com/images/keyclubsml.jpg

Hogan11
06-22-2004, 08:07 PM
That said...here's my current rotation:

Motorhead.....Ace Of Spades
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion ...Acme
Mr. Airplane Man C'Mon DJ
The Chocolate Watchband....The Best Of The Chocolate Watchband
The Rolling Stones ....Exile On Main Street

Honorable mention: The Joe Jackson Band Afterleife
The Strokes....Room On Fire
Death Cab For Cutie....Transatlanicism
Ryan Adams Gold

fontaine
06-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Never a RATM fan, although SOAD kicks ass.

Obivously by my sig I'm a big time Mudvayne fan, and love the hometown metal band of Mushroom Head as well.

A perfect circle, while not metal to me, is beautiful, anything Maynard graces is beautiful to me though but I do suggest checking out their 2 CD's.

Rammstein is very good, I like a lot of European metal like that, there's a few others from Norway and Sweden that are right up there with Rammstein. I'm still a big Korn fan and have been for a long while.

I listen ot a lot of music, if it's rock/hard rock/metal then I'm sure I'll like it.

I hear that, I'm also into a lot of "scandanavian" rock/metal. One of my favs at the moment is a punk rock band called Millencolin. They've been around forever, but their latest album, "Home from Home" is amazing. I would describe them as a better version than the Hives with more detailed riffs and edgier. Sorry, I don't play any instrument so that's the best I can do! Send me a pm if you want one of their mp3s for a looksie.

TheManeMan
06-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Fontaine...I love Millencolin...my favorite album of theirs is Life on a Plate...awesome CD...Rep for anybody who listens to them...if you like them I would recommend listening to No Fun At All(the name was inspired by a tongue in cheek mixture of the Sex Pistols' version of the Stooges song "No Fun" and Sick Of It All's name), ...great band but, no longer together...their music is awesome...I think they are from Sweden as well...

Believers - http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/067/478067_1_14.ram?obj=v30227

Growing Old, Growing Cold - http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/067/478067_1_20.ram?obj=v30227

fontaine
06-23-2004, 06:08 AM
Fontaine...I love Millencolin...my favorite album of theirs is Life on a Plate...awesome CD...Rep for anybody who listens to them...if you like them I would recommend listening to No Fun At All(the name was inspired by a tongue in cheek mixture of the Sex Pistols' version of the Stooges song "No Fun" and Sick Of It All's name), ...great band but, no longer together...their music is awesome...I think they are from Sweden as well...

Believers - http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/067/478067_1_14.ram?obj=v30227

Growing Old, Growing Cold - http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/067/478067_1_20.ram?obj=v30227

Thanx for the links. Will check them out.

alkemical
06-23-2004, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=Hogan11]I will check in to Scheer Fontaine, thanks for the reference...I've never heard of them before.

i like beatles' song done by most anyone But the beatles - ie - type o's v. of daytripper

alkemical
06-23-2004, 09:50 AM
my whole problem with the last apc record is its bad... its recycled

Hogan11
06-23-2004, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=Hogan11]I will check in to Scheer Fontaine, thanks for the reference...I've never heard of them before.

i like beatles' song done by most anyone But the beatles - ie - type o's v. of daytripper

I think the best cover versions of Beatles songs I ever heard were done by Cheap Trick.

I have several versions that are just godawful...I use them for torture at times Ha! Hard to say what the worst one is that I have...but I think it would be "You Won't See Me" by The Godz on Godz 2. Chances are good that no one here has or has even heard of this record or band. They were brutal, they couldn't play a lick and made no bones about it. I'd only recommend it to someone who actually likes things like The Shaggs, James Chance, No Wave in general or Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music...in other words...it's lease breaking/annoy the neighbors type stuff.

FADERPROOF
06-24-2004, 05:36 AM
I hear that, I'm also into a lot of "scandanavian" rock/metal. One of my favs at the moment is a punk rock band called Millencolin. They've been around forever, but their latest album, "Home from Home" is amazing. I would describe them as a better version than the Hives with more detailed riffs and edgier. Sorry, I don't play any instrument so that's the best I can do! Send me a pm if you want one of their mp3s for a looksie.

Heard of Millencolin, but I'm into a lot of punk rock. I have a cousin who is and that's how I heard of them, but never listened to their music. I'll probably get curious and download it off the internet to hear it, but not sure I'll like it if it's punk rock.

Oh yeah, and spineshank kicks ass also. That's another metal type band I've been into for over 3 years now. The lead singer recently left the band, but they are going through auditions right now, so they won't be breaking up and will still be spineshank, just with a new lead singer.

broncolife
06-25-2004, 03:20 AM
Baby Vox (korean)

fontaine
06-25-2004, 06:16 AM
been listening to a lot of Wish by the Cure. I dunno maybe because it's been sunny all week and I usually overdose on one album/band for a few days to mix it up with the regulars.

alkemical
06-25-2004, 11:28 AM
pygmy love circus

FADERPROOF
06-25-2004, 03:54 PM
pygmy love circus

Gotta love them, Danny Carey rules.

TheManeMan
06-26-2004, 02:41 AM
Ten Foot Pole - Rev (one awesome CD)
http://www.tenfootpole.com/images/rev.jpg

Mogulseeker
06-26-2004, 05:33 PM
I've really been digging The Juliana Theory (http://www.julianatheory.net/)... kinda a Jimmy Eat World - esque thing going for them... check out the track "Do You Believe Me" - http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/TheJulianaTheory/audio/doyoubelieveme_100.asx

http://www.julianatheory.net/photos/charlene/22june02tjt0007_jpg.jpg

Hogan11
06-27-2004, 09:17 AM
Been listening to a ton of The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion and R.L. Burnside as of late.

alkemical
06-27-2004, 10:02 AM
dave weckle

FADERPROOF
06-29-2004, 05:25 AM
I seriously can't stop listening to Mudvayne's 2001 release "L.D. 50." God that is a great CD, End of all things to come is also great by them but I just love their older CD(back when they painted their faces and did cooler **** with their hair also, just a better band back then.)

Mogulseeker
06-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Dave Weckle is incredible, I thought no one else listened to him

alkemical
06-29-2004, 01:53 PM
drummers listen to him...

www.alokedutta.com - good stuff

Mogulseeker
07-01-2004, 03:50 AM
Ever listen to Josh Freese?

Just like Dave Weckl only with punk instead of jazz.

http://www.joshfreese.com/

Not only a simply amazing drummer, but a funny... halarious as hell... guy,

Josh Freese is the drummer to A Perfect Circle, Bad Religion, and the Vandals.

He has also recorded with Avril Lavigne, Puddle of Mud, The Offspring, Unwritten Law, Good Charlotte, Frank Zappa, Dwezil Zappa, Devo, Guns n' Roses, Juliana Hatfield, Rob Zombie, Suicidal Tendencies, Merideth Brooks.... many others.

He also has worked together with travis Barker (of Blink 182, Aquabats)

Pretty impressive track record as a drumer....

But his hilarious album "The Notorious One Man Orgy" is good drumming. I'd say he is the Dave Weckl or rock... only he plays with a lot of popular bands.

Here is a lyrical sampling...

----------

"Playboy mansion"

We all went to the playboy mansion,
Partied down with Marylin Manson,
I think my times arrived at last,
I'm high on cocaine, of Ms. October's ass

You don't believe me, but its true
You Dont believe me, and you dont have to,
It's not the kind of sh*t that I'd make up,

We all went to the Playboy mansion,
Met some chick with a tit expansion,
Saw the stupid car she bought,
And got a blowjob out in the parking lot,

You don't believe me, but its true
You Dont believe me, and you dont have to,
It's not the kind of sh*t that I'd make up,

Don't remmember about anybody there,
But we did get drunk with that Rodman guy, with the funny hair...

-----

It's punk music with great drumming. And with song titles like "I Kick Your Ass," "Rock 'N Roll Chicken," "Ass Backwards," "Queen Of The Gangsters," and "F*ck Mardi Gras!," you cant go wrong.

FADERPROOF
07-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Freese is awesome as well.

Carey is still the best but there are a lot of great drummers out there.

Mogulseeker
07-01-2004, 04:59 AM
IMO, Josh freese is the best rock drummer out there today... his solo stuff is a bit dissapointing, but its still really good.

Mogulseeker
07-01-2004, 05:00 AM
Almost forgot... Freese has also played with Pennywise and the SKAdaddles too...

FADERPROOF
07-01-2004, 05:18 AM
Coolest story on Freese was when I went to the APC concert in April, he had a broken right leg and all drummers know that the right leg is one that fuels the bass drum, so the guy played flawlessly with his left leg instead.

His drumset had the hi-hat on his right side so all his right foot had to do was hold down the pedal while his left leg played the bass drum, unbelievable that he switched like that and still played great.

FADERPROOF
07-01-2004, 05:20 AM
I know I;ve been talking about them a lot lately, but Matt DcDough from Mudvayne can rock the **** out of a drumset. Dude plays so hard that during that videoshoot for their song "Dig" he put a damn hole through his bass.

Has a real nice set, lots of cymbals which is a big plus for me, and can just rock the hell out of it, which is really the big plus. Metal drummer rule and this dude from Mudvayne is right up there with the best currently.

alkemical
07-03-2004, 10:19 PM
blast from the past review -

mazzy star - so that tonight i may see -

****'s

Evenrude
07-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Jimmy Buffett's new album - License to Chill (Yeah I know it's a cheesy take on the old Beastie Boys title). I'm a little disappointed with his recent country sellout, and part of this album continues that pattern, but with all Buffett albums there is still enough great material to make it worth while. Some tracks that stick out: Coast of Carolina - classic mellow Buffett tune, great with a hammock and a little salt and lime. Playin' the Loser Again - Duet with Bill Withers (Lean on Me). Coastal Confessions - Very catchy like vintage Buffett. The best song on the Album IMO is his remake of the Deads' Scarlet Begonias- freakin' awesome.

Hogan11
07-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Jimmy Buffett's new album - License to Chill (Yeah I know it's a cheesy take on the old Beastie Boys title). I'm a little disappointed with his recent country sellout, and part of this album continues that pattern, but with all Buffett albums there is still enough great material to make it worth while. Some tracks that stick out: Coast of Carolina - classic mellow Buffett tune, great with a hammock and a little salt and lime. Playin' the Loser Again - Duet with Bill Withers (Lean on Me). Coastal Confessions - Very catchy like vintage Buffett. The best song on the Album IMO is his remake of the Deads' Scarlet Begonias- freakin' awesome.

The country thing bothered me as well....Its "5 O'Clock Somewhere" is nearly ruined by that remake IMO.

I'd still love to see Buffett though...especially in a beach enviroment...I think it would be a lotta fun to take in his music in the proper setting like that. Buffett, beach, booze, babes...it just wouldn't get any better than that :alky: :thumbsup:

As to what I'm listening to now...it's CD's by The Gun Club and Yo La Tengo...I'd list them, but nobody would know what they were anyway, so I won't bother.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-15-2004, 03:20 AM
Tribal Tech--Live in Germany '96
Mike Miller--Live at The Baked Potato, L.A.
Miles Davis--Live Evil
Frank Zappa--Baby Snakes
Chick Corea Elektric Band--To the Stars
The Rolling Stones--Exile on Main Street
Humble Pie--Performance: Rockin' the Fillmore

FADERPROOF
07-15-2004, 05:18 AM
My own bands demo has been in my CD player a lot lately :)

Northman
07-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Styx- Come Sail Away Anthology
The Haunted- One Kill Wonder
Susperia- Unlimited
Kult ov Azazel- Triumph of Fire

Hogan11
07-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Styx- Come Sail Away Anthology
The Haunted- One Kill Wonder
Susperia- Unlimited
Kult ov Azazel- Triumph of Fire

Man, Styx seems awfully out of place on that list for some reason..

Northman
07-15-2004, 02:17 PM
Man, Styx seems awfully out of place on that list for some reason..

lol, yea they are but i like a lot of classic rock as well as that was some of the early stuff i was listening too. just wait until the day when i throw in Ratt and Dokken in the list. ;D

Hogan11
07-15-2004, 02:26 PM
lol, yea they are but i like a lot of classic rock as well as that was some of the early stuff i was listening too. just wait until the day when i throw in Ratt and Dokken in the list. ;D

....at least Ratt and Dokken won't shatter all the glass in the house when the vocal harmonies come on at high volume like Styx will Ha!

Northman
07-15-2004, 02:31 PM
....at least Ratt and Dokken won't shatter all the glass in the house when the vocal harmonies come on at high volume like Styx will Ha!

good point. :)

Hogan11
07-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Got my (advanced??) copy of The Hives new CD today Tyrannosaurus Hives....it's great, I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

Maximus
08-05-2004, 12:31 PM
The Tipping Point - The Roots. If you don't have this one You better go out and get it!

alkemical
08-10-2004, 03:32 PM
also prince's musicology

TheManeMan
08-10-2004, 04:50 PM
Pegboy - Stong Reaction / Three-Chord Monte

http://art.towerrecords.com/coverart.asp?S=1045368&X=178&Y=178

DB-Freak
08-10-2004, 11:38 PM
So many cds in my car right now.

Cowboys from Hell- Pantera
James Brown- 20 all time greatest hits
Barry White- All time greatest hits
NIN- Pretty Hate Machine
Beck- Sea Change
Marvin Gaye- A mix
Ice-T- Power

Mr
08-11-2004, 09:29 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/crass.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/theExploited.jpg

-Slap-
08-11-2004, 09:55 PM
I've recently rediscovered Alison Moyet's first solo album, Alf. What a set of pipes on that girl.

freak6
08-12-2004, 09:52 AM
Young Buck- Cashville
Roots-Tipping Point
and of course

The Beastie Boys!!!!!!

Hogan11
08-12-2004, 03:49 PM
I've recently rediscovered Alison Moyet's first solo album, Alf. What a set of pipes on that girl.

Were you ever into Yaz then Slap??

ENDelt260
08-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Kutt Calhoun (http://www.kutt.com) - B.L.E.V.E.

-Slap-
08-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Were you ever into Yaz then Slap??

Musically, techno dance pop isn't at the top of my list, but I love Alison Moyet so much as a singer and songwriter that I have most of the Yaz stuff, too.

Mr
08-13-2004, 07:36 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/Deadkennedys.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/BlackFlag2.jpg

Hogan11
08-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Musically, techno dance pop isn't at the top of my list, but I love Alison Moyet so much as a singer and songwriter that I have most of the Yaz stuff, too.

That's cool....I was never into Yaz or much techno either but I more than understand about being in love with a voice and songwriting ability.

I feel that way about Sarah McLachlan....her voice just melts my heart like butter and she's got very strong material as well. Michelle Branch is another pop singer/songwriter who I feel is vastly underrated that has a voice that just kills me.

alkemical
08-13-2004, 02:23 PM
i have a pet project of mine, a bad punk band me and my friends do for house parties... kym... kill your mom...

we have songs like... go **** yourself (the cheney song).... my gods beat up your god... real hippy chicks put out... drinkin' smokin' spitting chaw..

toby kieth's america & go home commie bastards.

my america is my fav

Ratboy
08-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Ive been listening to..

Dashboard Confessional
Death Cab For Cutie.
The Get up Kids
Jets to Brazil
Pedro The Lion
The Postal Service
The Used

alkemical
08-13-2004, 04:33 PM
emo fan?

Hogan11
08-13-2004, 05:03 PM
i have a pet project of mine, a bad punk band me and my friends do for house parties... kym... kill your mom...

we have songs like... go **** yourself (the cheney song).... my gods beat up your god... real hippy chicks put out... drinkin' smokin' spitting chaw..

toby kieth's america & go home commie bastards.

my america is my fav

Ha! I always wanted to do something like this...a totally depraved rock band doing songs that are sicking and gross ....like a much more tuneful Pussy Galore or something.

Mr
08-14-2004, 04:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/blackflag3.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/blackflag4.jpg

Hogan11
08-14-2004, 07:44 PM
The almighty Black Flag......very cool!!

I remember when My War came out...I loved the title track, "Can't Decide" and "Forever Time".......even my non-punk metal leaning friends dug that album..especially "Swinging Man"...believe me, there were a lot of "Swinging Men" hanging around at the time and we despised them all.

BUT, I have to disagree with Loose Nut....Popps and I already went through this, but I think "Loose" is pretty stunted by it's production....I'd take Damaged, Slip It In, Who's Got The 10 1/2?(which brought life to the "Nut" material IMO) or In My Head anyday over that one in a heartbeat.

Mr
08-14-2004, 08:55 PM
Slip It In had to be my favorite Flag Album. If there was such a thing as "pure" Black Flag, I'd have to say that Slip It In is just that.
I somewhat agree with you on Loose Nut, But I also bought Sonic Youth's "EVOL" (horrible trash) just because its the only one I didnt have. I guess I'm as much an Album collector as I am a music lover.

Hogan11
08-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Slip It In had to be my favorite Flag Album. If there was such a thing as "pure" Black Flag, I'd have to say that Slip It In is just that.
I somewhat agree with you on Loose Nut, But I also bought Sonic Youth's "EVOL" (horrible trash) just because its the only one I didnt have. I guess I'm as much an Album collector as I am a music lover.

Well, Damaged would be my pick for "pure" Black Flag...that is just one solid intense blast of fury.

I'm with you on the collector part, I tend to be a "completist" as well when it comes to artists catalogs...incidently, Loose Nut is the only Flag album proper I never "bought over" on CD...I imagine the sound isn't any better on the CD as opposed to the vinyl...SST didn't do much to enhance it's product soundwise when they started to issue it's catalog on CD.

Mr
08-15-2004, 09:14 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/misfits1.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/misfitsboxset.jpg I love this stuff, from "We Are 138" to "She" to "The Last Caress" to "London Dungeon" The Misfits helped shape my being. When I finally got the box set, I had to get two of them just to ensure that I still had one after playing it to death.

BroncoInferno
08-15-2004, 10:46 AM

What do you think of the new Sonic Youth? Seems like their trying to recapture their Dirty-era sound, with excellent results.

Mr
08-15-2004, 12:02 PM
What do you think of the new Sonic Youth? Seems like their trying to recapture their Dirty-era sound, with excellent results.
You know I havent had the pleasure yet.... so much has been coming out.... The last Youth Album I bought was "A Thousand Leaves" which for me was pretty average, They've done better.... MUCH better

Mr
08-15-2004, 12:19 PM
You know who I really miss? "The Specials" Any Ska buffs in the house?

Hogan11
08-15-2004, 06:41 PM
You know who I really miss? "The Specials" Any Ska buffs in the house?

Check out the "Post Your Pic" threads and you'll see me with members of The Pietasters and The Voodoo Glow Skulls.....I've always loved ska/skacore and I'm a fanatical fan of The Pietasters.

Mr
08-16-2004, 01:19 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/NOFX-punkindrublic.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/Canucklehead74/NOFX-heavypettingzoo.jpg

TheManeMan
08-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Punk O Rama Volume 1...

http://art.towerrecords.com/coverart.asp?S=1047017&X=178&Y=178

alkemical
08-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Ha! I always wanted to do something like this...a totally depraved rock band doing songs that are sicking and gross ....like a much more tuneful Pussy Galore or something.

its fun hogan

BroncoInferno
08-16-2004, 09:49 PM
You know I havent had the pleasure yet.... so much has been coming out.... The last Youth Album I bought was "A Thousand Leaves" which for me was pretty average, They've done better.... MUCH better

I agree, but I'd say their last two albumns (Murray Street came out in '02) were pretty strong efforts. Give them a listen. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mr
08-16-2004, 11:04 PM
I agree, but I'd say their last two albumns (Murray Street came out in '02) were pretty strong efforts. Give them a listen. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I surely will, Sonic Youth has done some great things "Confusion Is Next" is one of my fav songs ever in fact, they put out tons of prime, crunchy, meaty stuff before "Dirty". I look forward to checking out the new albums. :thumbs:

guybrush77
08-16-2004, 11:08 PM
The Starting Line - Say It Like You Mean It

BROWN81
08-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Stuff I have been listening to or listen to a lot:

Alice In Chains- Got to have my Daily dose can't function without hearing Staley wail and Jerry's incredible guitar work :militia:

Jerry Cantrell- See above

Down- My favorite Anselmo Side Project :militia:
TOOL
Helmet
Henry Rollins
Megadeth
Sevendust
Godsmack
Pantera
Classic Aerosmith
Days of the New
Pearl Jam
Old Metallica
Rush
CCR
Doors
Mudvayne
STP
Superjoint Ritual
Black Sabbath
Anthrax
Led Zeppelin

and a whole bunch of other stuff.

BroncoInferno
08-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Stuff I have been listening to or listen to a lot:

Alice In Chains- Got to have my Daily dose can't function without hearing Staley wail and Jerry's incredible guitar work :militia:

Jerry Cantrell- See above

AIC deserves a spot in the Rock 'N' Roll cannon, IMHO. I think Jerry's solo work is criminally underrated. Boggy Depot was a remarkable post-modern albumn, as was Degradation Trip (which was almost totally ignored by the general public). Apparently, he has a new albumn on the horizon. I implore all fans of quality rock music to support this albumn. I have no doubt it will be of high quality.

BroncoInferno
08-17-2004, 11:32 PM
I surely will, Sonic Youth has done some great things "Confusion Is Next" is one of my fav songs ever in fact, they put out tons of prime, crunchy, meaty stuff before "Dirty". I look forward to checking out the new albums. :thumbs:

No doubt their pre-Dirty material is superior...Daydream Nation is perhaps the quintessential albumn of the 80s...and Sister is fantasic as well. "Death Valley '69" is my favorite Sonic Youth song, off of the Bad Moon Rising albumn. What a great band! :alky:

Ratboy
08-17-2004, 11:44 PM
emo fan?

lol you can so that :vermeil:

Lynch
08-17-2004, 11:45 PM
Currently in my CD player in my truck.... Dio - Lock Up The Wolves.
May change it on the way home to Alice In Chains - Nothing Safe : Best of the Box

BROWN81
08-18-2004, 12:04 AM
AIC deserves a spot in the Rock 'N' Roll cannon, IMHO. I think Jerry's solo work is criminally underrated. Boggy Depot was a remarkable post-modern albumn, as was Degradation Trip (which was almost totally ignored by the general public). Apparently, he has a new albumn on the horizon. I implore all fans of quality rock music to support this albumn. I have no doubt it will be of high quality.

No doubt that AIC should get their spot. I am HUGE fan of AIC and Cantrell. Jerry's Solo CD's are both kick ass. I agree with ya that Cantrell is sorely underrated as a guitar player, singer and lyricist. Considering the fact that 90 percent of the Lyrics of AIC songs came from him. I also read that he will be in the studio for the next few months working on new Material for the Next CD..... :militia: Right now he is doing a small tour with a side project called: Cardboard Vampyres. I have never seen AIC live but I got a chance to see Cantrell twice already. Once in 1998 when he played between Days of the new and Metallica and during the Degredation Tour a couple of years ago. Both great shows. I got a Tattoo paying my homage to AIC 3 yrs ago I took the words on my Tattoo from the Song: Heaven Beside you(one of my Fav tunes). Eerily(sp?) enough two months after getting my Tat Staley died of his Drug overdose so naturally the Tat has more meaning to it. I can't wait for Jerry's CD to come out, frankly there is nothing new that is good on the shelves right now and plus I want to see him again in Concert.

Mr
08-18-2004, 08:13 AM
No doubt that AIC should get their spot. I am HUGE fan of AIC and Cantrell. Jerry's Solo CD's are both kick ass. I agree with ya that Cantrell is sorely underrated as a guitar player, singer and lyricist. Considering the fact that 90 percent of the Lyrics of AIC songs came from him. I also read that he will be in the studio for the next few months working on new Material for the Next CD..... :militia: Right now he is doing a small tour with a side project called: Cardboard Vampyres. I have never seen AIC live but I got a chance to see Cantrell twice already. Once in 1998 when he played between Days of the new and Metallica and during the Degredation Tour a couple of years ago. Both great shows. I got a Tattoo paying my homage to AIC 3 yrs ago I took the words on my Tattoo from the Song: Heaven Beside you(one of my Fav tunes). Eerily(sp?) enough two months after getting my Tat Staley died of his Drug overdose so naturally the Tat has more meaning to it. I can't wait for Jerry's CD to come out, frankly there is nothing new that is good on the shelves right now and plus I want to see him again in Concert.

No one on earth could harmonize like Staley and Cantrell, The best of which I thought came out on the EP "Sapp". AIC surely deserves their cudoes.

Lynch
08-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Ya know what's sad. In x-number of years, Nirvana will be in the R'n'R Hall of Fame and AIC won't be. When that happens, it will be a damn crime. Not that the RNRHOF means sh!t. I mean, there are a ton of missing artists and groups that are soooo deserving and are eligible but just can't get in, while dozens of undeserving artists are in based on a single hit (or two).

:(