PDA

View Full Version : CDs in your player now

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Hogan11
03-05-2005, 07:20 AM
Heard OF? Yes.

Heard them? No.

Please fill me in. Stylistically, etc..

Garage Bands, garage rock...retro mid-60's style.

The Priests http://www.garagepoprecords.com/priests/priests.htm

The Lyres http://www.matadorrecords.com/bios/bio_lyres.html

RhymesayersDU
03-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Does anybody here have Punk mp3's they might be able to share with me?

Shoot me a PM if you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Bronx33
03-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks in advance.

Heres 3 i thought were pretty good

http://www.dead50s.com/

RhymesayersDU
03-06-2005, 12:51 PM
Heres 3 i thought were pretty good

http://www.dead50s.com/
Thanks!

TheManeMan
03-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Thanks in advance.

http://www.punkmusic.com/mp3s/home.cfm

Nuggets4
03-06-2005, 07:58 PM
I just heard Garbage's new single "Why Do You Love Me?" -- it seriously sounds like the 2005 version of Phil Spector (minus the whole being a criminal thing). Very cool IMO. If you're a Garbage fan, check it out -- it's pretty cool.

Nuggets4
03-06-2005, 11:07 PM
In case anyone missed it on the main board:

Or even just Ghaninian culture? Check out the Baobao Fest. It'll be in Denver on Thursday night and Boulder on Friday night. I know for a fact that Charlie Sounds, a local reggae/highlife/hiplife band will be playing, and I know there will be tons of different dance groups....including dancers from the Ghana National Team. I will be there both nights as I am stage managing again for this and, if it's anything like the Tsunami Relief Concert we put on a month ago, I will be MC'ing the event as well. Hopefully, some of you guys will come out and check it out. If you do, make sure to say hi to me......I stand out considering I'm 6'6". And you can even ask Deb, I'm friendlier in person than I am over the internet. ;)

I PROMISE you'll have a good time if you come. The Tsunami relief concert went a good 6 hours, and I bet this one will do around the same. Plus, Charlie Sounds is badass. I'm not sure who else is performing, but I do believe that the women of the CU Highlife Ensemble (which I'm a member of....and our fifth anniversary concert is April 15th, get your tickets!) will be performing.

Here are the details:

Thursday, March 10, 2005, 7 p.m.
Location: University of Colorado at Denver, Concert Hall, Kenneth King Academic and Performing Arts Center 855 Lawrence Way on the Auraria Campus, Downtown Denver.
Directions: http://www.kennethkingcenter.org/site.asp
Cost: $15 general admission, free to all Auraria campus students with valid student I.D.
Tickets: Tickets go on sale January 30, 2005, UCD, Kenneth King Academic and Performing Arts Center Box Office, 303-556-2296, kennethkingcenter.org.
Sponsors: CU Denver Life, CU Denver Student Life, Metro Student Activities, CCD Student Life and Activities
Contact: Laila Mahmud, 303-556-4247 or studentactivities@cudenver.edu

Friday, March 11, 2005, 7 p.m.
Cost: $15 for general admission, $10 students with I.D., Free for children 12 and under. Appropriate for audiences of all ages.
Tickets: Boulder Theate Box Office, 303-786-7030 or www.bouldertheater.com; Bantaba World Dance and Music, 303-499-6484. Tickets go on sale January 30, 2005.
Sponsors: Boulder County Arts Alliance, Bantaba World Dance and Music, KGNU, Eldorado Springs Artesian Water, Inka Corporation

More info: http://www.baobaofest.org/

Northman
03-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Crionics- Armageddon's Evolution
God Dethroned- The Lair of the White Worm
Bloodbath- Nightmares Made Flesh
Judas Priest- Angel of Retribution

alkemical
03-10-2005, 05:26 AM
I think anubis probably has like sinatra in his cd player, but doesn't want anyone to know :)

Northman
03-10-2005, 05:29 PM
I think anubis probably has like sinatra in his cd player, but doesn't want anyone to know :)

Damn man, you sold me out. shhhhhhh. :)

Hogan11
03-10-2005, 05:37 PM

I've got some Trash Can Sinatras, does that count?

DB-Freak
03-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Nine Inch Nails- Fragile.

Great great stuff. Good enough to give my full attention to.

Its beautiful stuff I say. Probably Trents most consistent work.

alkemical
03-11-2005, 05:47 AM
I've got some Trash Can Sinatras, does that count?

i guess in NY it does :)

Hogan11
03-11-2005, 07:36 AM
i guess in NY it does :)

I like the Trash Can Sinatras a lot actually......good jangle Brit-pop and I'm a sucker for that stuff.

March always has me playing The Beach Boys....it adds to the whole longing for summer and temps above 40 degrees thing.

alkemical
03-11-2005, 08:02 AM
I like the Trash Can Sinatras a lot actually......good jangle Brit-pop and I'm a sucker for that stuff.

March always has me playing The Beach Boys....it adds to the whole longing for summer and temps above 40 degrees thing.

Hogan, you ready for this damned winter to leave?

I'm so ready for some spring time weather.

Hogan11
03-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Hogan, you ready for this damned winter to leave?

I'm so ready for some spring time weather.

Oh it sucks Ames, damn lake effect bullshat anyways.

I'm playing some Beach Boys like I said and some Style Council, which always reminds me of spring for some unknown reason....I like playing My Ever Changing Moods with Joe Jackson's Body And Soul both of those releases have always reminded me of springtime for some reason....as does Aztec Two Step.

Bronx33
03-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Hogan i finally got my blues explosion CDs..................a month and a half later because of stupid people at media play but i got extra width, xtra-acme (usa) and orange i already had damage.I see what you mean about the recordings being about the same do you think they are trying to keep the live small venue sound?

Hogan11
03-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Hogan i finally got my blues explosion CDs..................a month and a half later because of stupid people at media play but i got extra width, xtra-acme (usa) and orange i already had damage.I see what you mean about the recordings being about the same do you think they are trying to keep the live small venue sound?

They are definitely lo-fi recordings no question. Extra Width is lo-fi to the point of being muffled and very bassy...the mix is so terrible, that it damn near sinks the CD. Orange is a great CD w/ the lone exception of "Flavor"...having Beck rap in the middle of a song is never a good idea. The rap thing is something they stayed away from after that until Damage's "Hot Gossip"....seeing it live w/out the rap part improves the song greatly, trust me. Xtra-Acme is a great companion piece to Acme, which is still my fave CD from these guys.....you need to get Acme and Now I Got Worry if you don't have them already....they're the best of the lot IMO. The self-titled first release is very rough going sound & material wise.....get it last if you absolutely have to have it, otherwise you can easily get along without it.

Bronx33
03-13-2005, 03:07 PM
They are definitely lo-fi recordings no question. Extra Width is lo-fi to the point of being muffled and very bassy...the mix is so terrible, that it damn near sinks the CD. Orange is a great CD w/ the lone exception of "Flavor"...having Beck rap in the middle of a song is never a good idea. The rap thing is something they stayed away from after that until Damage's "Hot Gossip"....seeing it live w/out the rap part improves the song greatly, trust me. Xtra-Acme is a great companion piece to Acme, which is still my fave CD from these guys.....you need to get Acme and Now I Got Worry if you don't have them already....they're the best of the lot IMO. The self-titled first release is very rough going sound & material wise.....get it last if you absolutely have to have it, otherwise you can easily get along without it.

Acme and Now I Got Worry..........already in the works, nobody keeps this stuff in stock and there is no such thing as a small record store anymore and i dont like using my credit card on line

Hogan11
03-13-2005, 06:27 PM
Acme and Now I Got Worry..........already in the works, nobody keeps this stuff in stock and there is no such thing as a small record store anymore and i dont like using my credit card on line

I'd go thru Amazon personally....I know you don't like to use the card online but the transactions made with them are pretty secure.....at least I haven't been scammed by them yet.

You'll love those two CD's, especially if you liked the others.

kent156
03-14-2005, 08:11 AM
well the cd isn't out yet but i just heard a new audioslave track "be yourself" good stuff

BizzyBone7
03-14-2005, 10:25 AM
its not a cd but its a song...Miri Ben Ari ft. Scarface and Anthony Hamilton. i think Scarface is one of the best rappers around and Anthony Hamilton is one of my favorite singers. i keep playing this song. Miri Ben Ari is that violinist that goes with Kanye. even if your not a rap fan i recomend this song. i played it for my cousin and he likes rock and punk and all that and he liked it a lot.

FADERPROOF
03-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Just won Vindication and Unlimited by Susperia on ebay, can't wait to listen!

alkemical
03-14-2005, 08:54 PM
i'll check it out

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
03-14-2005, 10:16 PM
This week's playlist:

Frank Gambale - "Thinking Out Loud"

Chick Corea Elektric Band - "Light Years"

Frank Zappa - "Baby Snakes"

Miles Davis - "Kind of Blue"

Nuggets4
03-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Damn. Just saw a commercial that the new System of a Down CD will not be out until May 17th. It was supposed to be out in February. Then late-April. Now mid-May. This is getting annoying.

Nuggets4
03-18-2005, 11:59 AM
WE CAN'T LET THIS DIE! :D

Just put a few CD's in serious rotation for my Costa Rica trip.

Sting - "Soul Cages"
Social Distortion - "Social Distortion"
Social Distortion - "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell"
LL Cool J - "All World"
Ben Folds Five - "Naked Baby Photos"
Everclear - "So Much For The Afterglow"
Jason Mraz - "Tonight, Not Again"
Jimmie's Chicken Shack - "Bring Your Own Stereo"
The Mars Volta - "Frances The Mute"
My Chemical Romance - "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge"

TheManeMan
03-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Damn. Just saw a commercial that the new System of a Down CD will not be out until May 17th. It was supposed to be out in February. Then late-April. Now mid-May. This is getting annoying.

It'll be worth the wait...no doubt...

Hogan11
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM
WE CAN'T LET THIS DIE! :D

Just put a few CD's in serious rotation for my Costa Rica trip.

Sting - "Soul Cages"
Social Distortion - "Social Distortion"
Social Distortion - "Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell"
LL Cool J - "All World"
Ben Folds Five - "Naked Baby Photos"
Everclear - "So Much For The Afterglow"
Jason Mraz - "Tonight, Not Again"
Jimmie's Chicken Shack - "Bring Your Own Stereo"
The Mars Volta - "Frances The Mute"
My Chemical Romance - "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge"

Costa Rica? How is it down there? I've heard it's the place to go if you wanna go to Central or South America (besides Argentina, that is)

I hated Everclear after Sparkle And Fade..they became wayyy to preachy and whiney for my liking. I've heard a lot about The Mars Volta, but nothing by them as of yet.....what I've read has been interesting.

As for what I'm listening to now, I'm going through the entire Southern Culture On The Skids catalog trying to make up a "Best of" mix for a friend....if you ever get the chance to see SCOTS live then do it....it'll be cheap and hilarious....they blend rockabilly/surf/country and straight ahead rock all filtered through a humorus take on living in and being from the south.

http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/1/1288/images/83922_med.jpg

alkemical
03-18-2005, 05:49 PM
if i remember correctly -

the mars volta is from members of some punk band that came out texas - i have a cd of theirs but the name escapes me - the radio hit was 'one armed scissor'

Hogan11
03-18-2005, 05:50 PM
if i remember correctly -

the mars volta is from members of some punk band that came out texas - i have a cd of theirs but the name escapes me - the radio hit was 'one armed scissor'

At The Drive In......or something like that.

Nuggets4
03-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Costa Rica? How is it down there? I've heard it's the place to go if you wanna go to Central or South America (besides Argentina, that is)

I hated Everclear after Sparkle And Fade..they became wayyy to preachy and whiney for my liking. I've heard a lot about The Mars Volta, but nothing by them as of yet.....what I've read has been interesting.

I'll let you know about Costa Rica when I get back in a week. I leave tomorrow morning. I'm amped. I've never been on a real vacation before, always business related. Never been anywhere "exotic" either. So excited.

Everclear is hit or miss for most people. They hit with me. I LOVE Sparkle and Fade, but some of their other stuff just is that poppy-happy vibe which I was going for with that playlist.

As for The Mars Volta.....I haven't listened yet. I picked it up today and am saving it for the flight tomorrow. I've heard that it's VERY drawn out and overblown, and that makes it badass in my opinion. Plus, Flea (from the RHCP) plays trumpet on the album (including the single "The Widow"). I know he used to be a great trumpet player in middle and high school, but I didn't know he still had his chops. Doubt he'll do much more than background stuff, but I'm curious to really listen for it.

In an unrelated note, I just heard the new single for Gwen Stefani. It's called "Hollaback Girl". This is going to be a HUGE hit. Astronomical. Notice I didn't say it was good. The Neptunes (who I absolutley LOVE) produced it and it sounds NOTHING like what is on the air today. If I had to describe it, it'd almost be like a high school cheering/stomping section gone bad. The whole song is based on the phrase, "This my sh*t". I found a copy of the song and have had it on a loop for about 30 minutes now. It's driving me insane.....but Pharrell and Chad definately hit the jackpot on that one.

Nuggets4
03-18-2005, 05:52 PM

You sir, are correct.

BTW, what station is that band gonna be on XM? I love XM...in my car. I'll make sure to crank it that week.

alkemical
03-18-2005, 05:53 PM
gwen's stuff is my dirty secret - i hate to admit i like her solo project

Nuggets4
03-18-2005, 05:55 PM
We all have dirty secrets like that. Besides anything the Neptunes do, one of my favorite bands of all time is the Barenaked Ladies.

Hogan11
03-18-2005, 06:05 PM
You sir, are correct.

BTW, what station is that band gonna be on XM? I love XM...in my car. I'll make sure to crank it that week.

They aren't even sure yet Nug....and my sig is wrong...it'll either air the week of April 11th or the week of April 18th. I can let you know for sure once it gets nailed down though....I want to find someone who has XM to record it for me as those in attendance say it was one of their very best performances.

alkemical
03-18-2005, 06:14 PM

yes that's it!

Kid A
03-18-2005, 06:37 PM
As for The Mars Volta.....I haven't listened yet. I picked it up today and am saving it for the flight tomorrow. I've heard that it's VERY drawn out and overblown, and that makes it badass in my opinion. Plus, Flea (from the RHCP) plays trumpet on the album (including the single "The Widow"). I know he used to be a great trumpet player in middle and high school, but I didn't know he still had his chops. Doubt he'll do much more than background stuff, but I'm curious to really listen for it.

I've really enjoyed it (see avatar). It is very drawn out, and I've read criticism saying that the twelve minute songs could be cut down to under five. True it could, but it wouldn't be the same. The Mars Volta isn't trying to make short, catchy songs that get radio play. That's why they left ATDI. If your enjoy Frances the Mute I suggest picking up their other album Deloused in the Comatorium.

DB-Freak
03-18-2005, 07:07 PM
I've really enjoyed it (see avatar). It is very drawn out, and I've read criticism saying that the twelve minute songs could be cut down to under five. True it could, but it wouldn't be the same. The Mars Volta isn't trying to make short, catchy songs that get radio play. That's why they left ATDI. If your enjoy Frances the Mute I suggest picking up their other album Deloused in the Comatorium.
Deloused in the Comatorium was great stuff.

One of the my favorite recent modern rock albums.

What are fav songs from it?

Mine is number 5, drunkship of lanterns I think.

alkemical
03-18-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm going to see jimmy cliff tomorrow

Kid A
03-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Deloused in the Comatorium was great stuff.

One of the my favorite recent modern rock albums.

What are fav songs from it?

Mine is number 5, drunkship of lanterns I think.

Tough. I like all of them. Interiatic ESP and Televators always stick out for me, but all the songs grow on me each time I listen. A great album to be sure.

Nuggets4
03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm going to see jimmy cliff tomorrow

He was just hear. Apparently had a great set, but it was only an hour long for some reason.

Pat Bowlen
03-19-2005, 03:12 AM
The new Out Hud, for the next hour or so.

Pat Bowlen
03-19-2005, 04:18 PM
The Faint - Blank Wave Arcade, then Danse Macabre.

Bronx33
03-20-2005, 02:47 PM
Derek and Dominos-Live at the fillmore

alkemical
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
He was just hear. Apparently had a great set, but it was only an hour long for some reason.

2hrs here - good show, good set - great band - awesome energy

BroncoInferno
03-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Anybody listened to the Kaiser Chiefs yet? They're the latest import from Britian. Great dance-rock music in the mold of Franz Ferdinand. Hell, I may even like them better. Gotta give it a few more listens.

BroncoInferno
03-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I've been spinning a lot of Yo La Tengo lately as well. I don't know how they flew under my radar for so long. What a great band. I just picked up Fakebook, which features 5 orginals and 11 covers, some from largely unknown bands like The Scene Is Now, and others from staples like Cat Stevens ("Here Comes My Baby") and the Kinks ("Oklahoma USA"). Highly addictive stuff. I even put in order on Amazon for albumns by the aforementioned The Scene Is Now as well as another covered band, NRBQ. So not only does this band entice the ears, but they also spread the gospel of bands who I otherwise might have never heard of!

If you've never listened to them before, start with I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. It's an eclectic mix of sounds ranging from noisy ear candy a la The Jesus and Mary Chain, to alt/roots-country, to electronica, to 60s pop, and more. They even do a noisy cover of the Beach Boys "Little Honda." This record's got it all. A true pleasure. I can't recommend this band enough.

Hogan11
03-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I've been spinning a lot of Yo La Tengo lately as well. I don't know how they flew under my radar for so long. What a great band. I just picked up Fakebook, which features 5 orginals and 11 covers, some from largely unknown bands like The Scene Is Now, and others from staples like Cat Stevens ("Here Comes My Baby") and the Kinks ("Oklahoma USA"). Highly addictive stuff. I even put in order on Amazon for albumns by the aforementioned The Scene Is Now as well as another covered band, NRBQ. So not only does this band entice the ears, but they also spread the gospel of bands who I otherwise might have never heard of!

If you've never listened to them before, start with I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One. It's an eclectic mix of sounds ranging from noisy ear candy a la The Jesus and Mary Chain, to alt/roots-country, to electronica, to 60s pop, and more. They even do a noisy cover of the Beach Boys "Little Honda." This record's got it all. A true pleasure. I can't recommend this band enough.

You know it....I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One and Painful are musts for any serious alternative collection....they are first rate classics and rank as two of the very best CD's of the 1990's....of any genre.

Fakebook is a great CD as well....these are rock critics/historians afterall, that's the kind of CD you'd expect from musicians with that kind of background...check out Genius + Love = Yo La Tengo for a continuation of that kind of thing without the acoustic domination of Fakebook. I'd also recommend President Yo La Tengo/New Wave Hot Dogs as another top notch Tengo CD to check out....the rest all have there moments and are worthy of purchase (Except maybe Summer Sun, which even a hardcore believer must admit, is a total snore...like a majority of 2000's And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out, it is far too hushed, ambient and "mature" electronica for my liking).

Tengo will come to be regarded as one of the most important bands of the 90's in the future...much like the Velvet Underground, which was largely ignored during it's day, came to be seen for what it was many, many years later....I have no doubts about that at all.

Hogan11
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
http://www.flamingmayo.com/wormquartet/wqftasm.jpg

alkemical
03-22-2005, 02:50 PM
another of my fav. bands is type o negative

alkemical
03-25-2005, 08:32 AM
I picked up the secret machines, a robert johnson cd, and the new kings of leon cd -

Nuggets4
03-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Anyone heard anything about Tegan & Sara? I keep hearing a lot of hype about them, but haven't heard them. Wondering if anyone here has heard them.

BTW, I'm running late now, but I'll try to post some about the Mars Volta album tonight.

Kid A
03-28-2005, 01:42 PM
I picked up the secret machines, a robert johnson cd, and the new kings of leon cd -

I've heard good things about kings of leon. I believe they will be opening for U2 on their tour.

I'm listening to Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots -The Flaming Lips.

alkemical
03-28-2005, 02:19 PM
the kings of leon are pretty cool - i dig 'em -

a bit of southern stoner rock, but that's not a bad thing IMO -

also i never heard robert johnson before, and IMO he's the best guitar player i ever heard.

Kid A
03-28-2005, 06:42 PM
New Beck album comes out tomorrow. Heres a link to listen to it.
http://www.nme.com/features/111722.htm

Nuggets4
03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
New Beck album comes out tomorrow. Heres a link to listen to it.
http://www.nme.com/features/111722.htm

I actually had a friend end up with an advance copy of that. It's a GREAT album.

FADERPROOF
03-28-2005, 09:39 PM
Anyone ever hear of "Boy hits Car?"

Listening to them now, I dig their style.

alkemical
03-28-2005, 09:51 PM
yeah they aren't too bad -

alkemical
03-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Until i hear another guitar player play rythm and lead at the same time - really - robert johnson blew me away.

Kid A
03-29-2005, 01:39 PM
I actually had a friend end up with an advance copy of that. It's a GREAT album.

I like it a lot too. It's his catchiest (and probably best) album since Odelay. Damn infectious.

Nuggets4
03-29-2005, 02:35 PM
After work, I'm gonna pick up a copy of it. Beck's the pimp.

Sodak
03-31-2005, 07:52 PM
Love and Rockets, Dean Martin, Naked Raygun, NoMeansNo, Elvis2, Agent Orange.

Hogan11
04-01-2005, 05:56 PM
Love and Rockets, Dean Martin, Naked Raygun, NoMeansNo, Elvis2, Agent Orange.

I saw Love & Rockets on the Earth,Sun,Moon tour and came away liking them much more than I did before...then the self-titled album came out and I was like yeech.....some were comparing "So Alive" to Lou Reed, what the hell were they thinking?!? :kiddingme

What Agent Orange ya got spinning there SoDak? I always loved the surf/Mod thing they did.

Nuggets4
04-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Just saw VH1's "Storytellers" last night starring Green Day talking about "American Idiot".....I forgot how good that album is. That got bumped up. I'm also enjoying the Tegan & Sara album "So Jealous". It's nothing but pop music, but it's good pop music. If anyone's curious, I'd check out "Walking With A Ghost" or "Where Does The Good Go?".

Also, a lot of Mitch Hedberg because of his untimely passing.

Bronx33
04-03-2005, 11:38 AM
Just saw VH1's "Storytellers" last night starring Green Day talking about "American Idiot".....I forgot how good that album is. That got bumped up. I'm also enjoying the Tegan & Sara album "So Jealous". It's nothing but pop music, but it's good pop music. If anyone's curious, I'd check out "Walking With A Ghost" or "Where Does The Good Go?".

Also, a lot of Mitch Hedberg because of his untimely passing.

AI is excellent (Boulevard of broken dreams) is my favorite tune.

Nuggets4
04-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Boulevard is getting burnt out for me....too much air play. Although I did hear a mix-up yesterday where someone combined it with Oasis' "Wonderwall". Thought that was pimp.

Bronx33
04-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Boulevard is getting burnt out for me....too much air play. Although I did hear a mix-up yesterday where someone combined it with Oasis' "Wonderwall". Thought that was pimp.

I dont listen to the radio much just for that very reason........

Nuggets4
04-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I still have a hard time listening to Nirvana's "Nevermind" album because of overplay on radio.

Bronx33
04-03-2005, 12:15 PM
I still have a hard time listening to Nirvana's "Nevermind" album because of overplay on radio.

I understand what you mean my partner at work likes rap and the station he listens to plays 7 fu*kin songs over and over, its driving me nuts based on the fact i dont much care for rap in the first place.

Pat Bowlen
04-05-2005, 03:01 AM
Is there a more awesome song than "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You"?

alkemical
04-05-2005, 07:03 AM
maybe malted milk

Bronx33
04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
Albert collin/Robert Cray/Johnny Copeland.......Showdown

Bronx33
04-05-2005, 09:46 PM
maybe malted milk

Eric claptons version ?

Northman
04-06-2005, 03:27 AM
Forgotten Tomb- Love's Burial Ground
Leviathan- Tentacles of Whorror
Xasthur- Telepathic of the Deceased
Strapping Young Lad- Alien
Gardenian- Soulburner

alkemical
04-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Eric claptons version ?

R. Johnson's version -

i'm going robert johnson crazy latley and buying all the cd's i can afford at the moment, but even clapton states that he can't play r. johnson's stuff

alkemical
04-06-2005, 09:17 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/65492/+orig-rel-date/ref=m_art_srt_d/103-7888855-1137467

This band "collide" is pretty cool - i dig 'em -

also

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00070EBSK/qid=1112800708/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-7888855-1137467?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

This looks interesting - king crimson, primus and tool members

Bronx33
04-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Forgotten Tomb- Love's Burial Ground
Leviathan- Tentacles of Whorror
Xasthur- Telepathic of the Deceased
Strapping Young Lad- Alien
Gardenian- Soulburner

Dude your not going to believe this but one of my best friends was the lead gutarists for Leviathan ronny skeen it blew me away that you posted that, WOW! you both have the same taste in music to a T FYI.

Bronx33
04-06-2005, 06:59 PM
R. Johnson's version -

i'm going robert johnson crazy latley and buying all the cd's i can afford at the moment, but even clapton states that he can't play r. johnson's stuff

Johnson stuff was from the heart and self taught thats hard to emulate by any standards, but eric did a d@mn nice job trying.

epicSocialism4tw
04-06-2005, 07:51 PM
Right now:

Pixies - Trompe le Monde
Rich Mullins - Liturgy, Legacy and a Ragamuffin Band
Ben Folds - Rockin' the Suburbs
Paul Simon - Graceland
Bruce Hornsby - Songs from the Southside
Radiohead - OK Computer
Victor Wooten - A Show of Hands
Morhphine - Yes

Pat Bowlen
04-08-2005, 03:27 AM
"Babe, I'm gonna leave you", again.

Song rocks my ass off.

Pat Bowlen
04-08-2005, 03:32 AM
AC Newman - The Slow Wonder

Northman
04-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Dude your not going to believe this but one of my best friends was the lead gutarists for Leviathan ronny skeen it blew me away that you posted that, WOW! you both have the same taste in music to a T FYI.

Hmm, well now you got my curiosity running. i recently had a guy come to my forum and post about his band Leviathan. now your friend, did he play for the Black Metal band Leviathan that is in my list or perhaps this other band that got posted on my board?

ah! nevermind. i found the band that he was a part of. a band based out of Colorado right? i might check them out anyway but the one in my list is a one man Black Metal project. :)

Bronx33
04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
ah! nevermind. i found the band that he was a part of. a band based out of Colorado right?

Yep.......i do believe i can hook you up with their CDs hes sittin on a bunch of them, they had talent but the timing was wrong with nirvana coming on the scene.

Northman
04-08-2005, 01:12 PM
ah! nevermind. i found the band that he was a part of. a band based out of Colorado right?

Yep.......i do believe i can hook you up with their CDs hes sittin on a bunch of them, they had talent but the timing was wrong with nirvana coming on the scene.

Yea, if your a band who caught the turn of the decade when Nirvana and Pearl Jam came out then you got lost in the musical rubble. if you can get me some of their material than i would gladly accept them. i can also play them on the air sometimes even though they no longer play together. thanks for the info man. :)

Bronx33
04-10-2005, 01:51 PM
Johnny cash......a boy named sue

Nuggets4
04-10-2005, 02:34 PM
I just popped the Gorillaz self-titled CD from a few years ago in last night. Forgot how good, and fun, that album was. That'll be getting some serious play. Also have been listening to a lot of Weezer to gear up for their new album which is coming out (I believe) April 29th. Possibly May. Not sure.

Bronx33
04-10-2005, 02:37 PM
I just popped the Gorillaz self-titled CD from a few years ago in last night. Forgot how good, and fun, that album was. That'll be getting some serious play. Also have been listening to a lot of Weezer to gear up for their new album which is coming out (I believe) April 29th. Possibly May. Not sure.

I was looking at it in the store the other day and almost got it, guess ill have to get it now! thanks you music pusher!

Hogan11
04-10-2005, 02:46 PM
The Priests - Tall Tales
The Priests - Streetwalker
Voodoo Glow Skulls - ADICCIÓN, TRADICIÓN, REVOLUCIÓN
The Boomtown Rats - The Boomtown Rats
Buffalo Springfield - Box Set

TheManeMan
04-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Voodoo Glow Skulls - ADICCIÓN, TRADICIÓN, REVOLUCIÓN

That sh!t rocks...:militia:

Hogan11
04-10-2005, 03:04 PM
That sh!t rocks...:militia:

They are pretty cool, they put on a helluva show and are great guys if you ever get the chance to meet them. That new disc is one of their most consistant ones yet.

I got a pic of Ed & I somewhere on one of the post your pic threads....I wish they'd come back out East, but it doesn't look like it for the forseeable future anyways

Nuggets4
04-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Hey Hogan, what's the latest with the Pietasters on XM?

Denverfan4life
04-10-2005, 05:18 PM
velvot Revolver - Contraband

Hogan11
04-10-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey Hogan, what's the latest with the Pietasters on XM?

Pietasters air dates on XM Radio!

The show will air Monday April 18th @ 8:00p, Weds April 20th @ 3:00pm and Friday night April 22nd @ midnight. All times Eastern. The show will air on the Fungus53 channel.

Now I just have to find someone to record it for me

Nuggets4
04-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Fungus is badass. I just dropped you a PM.

alkemical
04-11-2005, 06:17 AM
you know what, i want emo dead.

DEAD DEAD DEAD!

I hate all that stupid, taking back thursday confessional bands - DIE EMO DIE - which we all know is - the emo the - in german

Nuggets4
04-11-2005, 09:29 AM
How many emo kids does it take to screw in a light bulb?

None, let the little bastards whine in the dark!

That said, I actually like some emo. Meh.

alkemical
04-11-2005, 09:54 AM
Nuggets,

I can/could listen to some of it, if 93.789% didn't sound teh exact SAME!

I love it when emo tries to be all hardcore - and they scream and throw some chunk in the guitar, and yet they still sound gay.

Nuggets4
04-11-2005, 10:05 AM
I can/could listen to some of it, if 93.789% didn't sound teh exact SAME!

Agreed 100%. The stuff I like is technically considered emo, but I do'nt really understand why. Jimmy Eat World? I guess their early stuff could be emo, but the last two albums (Bleed American/Jimmy Eat World and Futures) don't seem emo to me. No screaming, just singing and actually some songs are happy!

alkemical
04-11-2005, 10:18 AM
Agreed 100%. The stuff I like is technically considered emo, but I do'nt really understand why. Jimmy Eat World? I guess their early stuff could be emo, but the last two albums (Bleed American/Jimmy Eat World and Futures) don't seem emo to me. No screaming, just singing and actually some songs are happy!

I like modest mouse - but not ALL their catalog. I like the guitar chords and some of the playfulness on the lyrics - but sometimes i'm just not into it, but i consider them emo too.

I'd consider jimmy eat world emo -

I spent a whole weekend listening to ****ty emo and i'm venting. Damn them!

Mile High Shack
04-11-2005, 10:24 AM
I guess I'm an idiot

but what is "emo"?

alkemical
04-11-2005, 10:26 AM
http://altmusic.about.com/library/weekly/aabyb_emo.htm

Mile High Shack
04-11-2005, 10:33 AM
http://altmusic.about.com/library/weekly/aabyb_emo.htm
Hmm…interesting

I guess I don’t like many emo bands either than

I don’t mind Jimmy Eat World if I’m in the mood for some sugary snacks.

There is this band I like called For Squirrels who died out after one album, I bet they might be emo.

alkemical
04-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Hmm…interesting

I guess I don’t like many emo bands either than

I don’t mind Jimmy Eat World if I’m in the mood for some sugary snacks.

There is this band I like called For Squirrels who died out after one album, I bet they might be emo.

If nirvana left us one unsavory thing, it was the emo explosion.

I'll say it, if it's good it will stand and i will vouch that it's good. Even in genre's i don't particularly like (i'll use rap) i can say i love a tribe called quest, the roots, jazzamataz (guru did that album) - i can ssay they are good - but then you have that whole crap g unit thing where it's so bad. Even the samples are bad....

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-12-2005, 04:42 AM
http://www.scottkinsey.com/Images/tribalLogo.jpg
http://www.garywillis.com/images/tourimages/fall00/pics/barcelona/trio.jpg

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-12-2005, 04:45 AM
http://www.garywillis.com/images/tourimages/fall00/pics/barcelona/balcony1.jpg

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
04-12-2005, 04:47 AM
http://www.garywillis.com/images/tourimages/fall00/pics/reigen.jpg

alkemical
04-13-2005, 09:04 AM
I went out to nin.com and checked out the video for the new song...

i have my critisms of it, but i like the direction that the band/trent shows.

Hogan11
04-14-2005, 09:03 AM
YO LA TENGO

Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003

Review by Mark Deming
I was a bit startled when I read the title of this compilation and it struck me that Yo La Tengo have been making records for almost twenty years now. As a band who have always followed their own path, Yo La Tengo have been making timeless music ever since they first started out, and if that description sounds a bit grand, little of the stuff on this set suggests the moment in rock history in which it was recorded ("Little Eyes” from 2003’s Summer Sun sits comfortably beside "Lewis” from 1987’s New Wave Hot Dogs, and you can’t say that about the work of many other bands who were considered hip in either year), so until the band (and Matador Records) chose to point it out to me, I never gave much thought to how long they’d doing this stuff. Still mixing up folk, noise, pop and indie rock after all this time, and still doing it with melodic intelligence and joy, Yo La Tengo don’t seem like likely candidates for a career retrospective — this is a band whose average fan owns all of their albums, and with nearly all of their material in print, it’s not as if curious newbies have limited options for checking out their music. But if you’ve ever dreamed of a "Yo La Tengo Greatest Hits” album, Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003 is that notion made into a fine reality. Featuring material from all of their albums (except for their debut, 1986’s Ride The Tiger), this two-disc set is an embarrassment of riches, offering one great song after another over the space of twenty-three tracks and 110 minutes. From the noise-shot jangle rock of "Sugarcube” and the po-mo folk of "Autumn Sweater” to the witty skronk-fest of "The Story of Jazz” and the near-perfect pop single "Tom Courtenay”, what’s most remarkable about this album is everything bears Yo La Tengo’s clear musical personality and emotional warmth no matter what style they choose to follow, and it’s all wonderful, engaging and compelling stuff. If you’ve somehow managed to ignore Yo La Tengo in the first two decades of their existence, Prisoners of Love is the ideal way to get up to speed and acquaint yourself with the catalog; longtime fans won’t be surprised, but they will get a potent reminder of what this group does so well. Early pressings of Prisoners of Love are available with a bonus third disc, "A Smattering of Outtakes and Rarities,” which does indeed offer manna from heaven for hardcore YLT-heads, including unreleased tracks, rare single sides, demos and remixes. Serious fans will certainly want it, and since they’re likely to have all the material on Prisoners of Love, it a shame they can’t buy it separately ... maybe they could just give the other two discs to benightened friends?

Tracks
1 Shaker
2 Sugarcube
3 Barnaby, Hardly Working
4 Little Eyes
5 Stockholm Syndrome
6 Our Way to Fall
7 From a Motel 6
8 Swing for Life
9 Tom Courtenay
10 Lewis
11 I Heard You Looking
12 You Can Have It All
13 Did I Tell You
14 The River of Water
15 Autumn Sweater
16 Big Day Coming Yo La Tengo
17 Pablo and Andrea
18 Drug Test
19 Season of the Shark
20 Upside-Down
21 The Summer
22 Tears Are in Your Eyes
23 Blue Line Swinger
24 The Story of Jazz
25 Nuclear War (Version 1)
26 By the Time It Gets Dark
27 Stay Away from Heaven
28 Pencil Test
29 Almost True
30 Tom Courtenay
31 Big Day Coming
32 Dreaming
33 Bad Politics
34 Blue-Green Arrow
35 Decora
36 Out the Window
37 Weather Shy
38 Dreams
39 Autumn Sweater
40 Ashes on the Ground
41 Mr. Ameche Plays the Stranger
42 Magnet

BroncoInferno
04-14-2005, 03:55 PM
YO LA TENGO

Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003

Review by Mark Deming
I was a bit startled when I read the title of this compilation and it struck me that Yo La Tengo have been making records for almost twenty years now. As a band who have always followed their own path, Yo La Tengo have been making timeless music ever since they first started out, and if that description sounds a bit grand, little of the stuff on this set suggests the moment in rock history in which it was recorded ("Little Eyes” from 2003’s Summer Sun sits comfortably beside "Lewis” from 1987’s New Wave Hot Dogs, and you can’t say that about the work of many other bands who were considered hip in either year), so until the band (and Matador Records) chose to point it out to me, I never gave much thought to how long they’d doing this stuff. Still mixing up folk, noise, pop and indie rock after all this time, and still doing it with melodic intelligence and joy, Yo La Tengo don’t seem like likely candidates for a career retrospective — this is a band whose average fan owns all of their albums, and with nearly all of their material in print, it’s not as if curious newbies have limited options for checking out their music. But if you’ve ever dreamed of a "Yo La Tengo Greatest Hits” album, Prisoners of Love: A Smattering of Scintillating Senescent Songs, 1985-2003 is that notion made into a fine reality. Featuring material from all of their albums (except for their debut, 1986’s Ride The Tiger), this two-disc set is an embarrassment of riches, offering one great song after another over the space of twenty-three tracks and 110 minutes. From the noise-shot jangle rock of "Sugarcube” and the po-mo folk of "Autumn Sweater” to the witty skronk-fest of "The Story of Jazz” and the near-perfect pop single "Tom Courtenay”, what’s most remarkable about this album is everything bears Yo La Tengo’s clear musical personality and emotional warmth no matter what style they choose to follow, and it’s all wonderful, engaging and compelling stuff. If you’ve somehow managed to ignore Yo La Tengo in the first two decades of their existence, Prisoners of Love is the ideal way to get up to speed and acquaint yourself with the catalog; longtime fans won’t be surprised, but they will get a potent reminder of what this group does so well. Early pressings of Prisoners of Love are available with a bonus third disc, "A Smattering of Outtakes and Rarities,” which does indeed offer manna from heaven for hardcore YLT-heads, including unreleased tracks, rare single sides, demos and remixes. Serious fans will certainly want it, and since they’re likely to have all the material on Prisoners of Love, it a shame they can’t buy it separately ... maybe they could just give the other two discs to benightened friends?

Tracks
1 Shaker
2 Sugarcube
3 Barnaby, Hardly Working
4 Little Eyes
5 Stockholm Syndrome
6 Our Way to Fall
7 From a Motel 6
8 Swing for Life
9 Tom Courtenay
10 Lewis
11 I Heard You Looking
12 You Can Have It All
13 Did I Tell You
14 The River of Water
15 Autumn Sweater
16 Big Day Coming Yo La Tengo
17 Pablo and Andrea
18 Drug Test
19 Season of the Shark
20 Upside-Down
21 The Summer
22 Tears Are in Your Eyes
23 Blue Line Swinger
24 The Story of Jazz
25 Nuclear War (Version 1)
26 By the Time It Gets Dark
27 Stay Away from Heaven
28 Pencil Test
29 Almost True
30 Tom Courtenay
31 Big Day Coming
32 Dreaming
33 Bad Politics
34 Blue-Green Arrow
35 Decora
36 Out the Window
37 Weather Shy
38 Dreams
39 Autumn Sweater
40 Ashes on the Ground
41 Mr. Ameche Plays the Stranger
42 Magnet

Anything on there worth making the purchase for someone who already has several albumns?

I picked up Painful on your recommendation and loved it, though I think I slightly prefer Electro-Purra. You can't go wrong either way.

Hogan11
04-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Anything on there worth making the purchase for someone who already has several albumns?

I picked up Painful on your recommendation and loved it, though I think I slightly prefer Electro-Purra. You can't go wrong either way.

Depends upon what you already have....whatcha got?

The package is great for the newbie....but since I have all of the individual releases, I can skip it.... it looks just like my mix tape of Tengo for my car really....they did a nice job on this one.....I love The Beatles Second Album cover spoof as well.

Bronx33
04-15-2005, 12:18 PM
FYI i have located a couple programs that allow media player users to bring up quicktime and real player application without DL both of them its kinda slick.

www.free-codecs.com

Quicktime alternative and Real alternative

Bronx33
04-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Brian Setzer Orchestra - Dirty Boggie

Nuggets4
04-19-2005, 04:34 PM
http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/system_of_a_down/artist.jhtml?_lpvid=43733

System of a Down's new single.

As for what's in my playlist, I'm listening to a lot of afro-pop right now (King Sunny Ade, Soukous Stars, Kojo Antwi, George Darko, etc.) as well as some latin stuff. Pancho Sanchez is getting some play and I just recently discovered Ozomatli.

Hogan11
04-20-2005, 08:23 PM
The Specials

Sean
04-25-2005, 10:29 AM
Friend of mine just made a CD for me ... Gavin Degraw.

Last new musician I REALLY liked was Jason Mraz. This guy Gavin has a great voice and the songs are strong. Check it out.

Hogan11
04-26-2005, 10:38 PM
Really, I've been listening to a lot of Link Wray and Dick Dale as of late

If you don't know who they are.........do yourself a favor and check them out.....these guys are in their late to mid 70's and play with more energy and ferociousness than guys 1/4 of their age.

Nuggets4
04-26-2005, 11:02 PM
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Mother's Milk"
System of a Down - "System of a Down"
Ben Folds - "Songs For Silverman"

Northman
04-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Elis- Dark Clouds in a Perfect Sky
Alghazanth- Typhon Unmasked
Midnattsol- Where Twilight Dwells
As Dusk Unfolds- A Twilight to Remember ( local Band )

BizzyBone7
04-27-2005, 09:23 AM
i got bone thugs n harmonys greatest hits in there right now, i got beanie sigels new one too. both very good.

BizzyBone7
04-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Also, i got Pastor Troys new CD. hes the one who gave Portis that belt. that cd has an interview with portis. it just says that nothin changed just the amount of zeroes in his account. pretty stupid. but that cd also has a Kurt Cobain tribute song, pretty good.

TheManeMan
04-27-2005, 05:22 PM
Hey Nugs4...just wanted to tell you that the System show I went to last Sunday F'N rocked!!! They played quite a few songs off their new album, atleast I think it is...it was called "Holy Mountain" a dope song...Serj puts on a hell of a show man...I think they played Innervision the best out of them all but, the whole show was sick...

Nuggets4
04-27-2005, 05:29 PM
That album and the Gorillaz new one are the two that I'm looking forward to the most in the next month.

Northman
04-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Overkill- RelixIV

No1BroncoFan
04-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Just lately... John Denver, "Rocky Mountain High." ;D

Ben

Hogan11
04-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Monday May 9th
The Legendary:
LINK WRAY!
http://www.garagepoprecords.com/images/link.jpg
"He is the King. If it hadn’t been for Link Wray and ‘Rumble’, I would have never picked up a guitar." - Pete Townsend
with very special guests:
THE PRIESTS

Northman
05-04-2005, 08:43 PM
Ok, i know im a day or so late but i had to recouperate. so, Missy and i went to see Strapping Young lad at Jaxx on the 26th. there was 4 opening bands who were locals and so Missy and i just sat in the back room and waited as there wasnt much interest in the others off the bat. although the first band is a band who is now sponsoring DarknessRadio and we are sponsoring them. anyhoo, before Devin and crew hit the stage we run into Gene making his way to the stage and we stop to get a photo taken with him but find out our battery has died. so some other guy takes one of us and tells me he will send it too my email. and it arrived today so you can see it. he also had a good shot of Devin on stage being crazy as usual. anyhow, the band takes the stage and chaos ensues.

Opening up with some classic SYL like ' All Hail the New Flesh ' and a couple from the new album works wonders for the soul. other great tracks they played included ' SYL ', Relentless', Aftermath, ****storm, imperial, and so on. they came out with a encore featuring a cover of the Crue's Looks that Kill and then finished with....you guessed it! Detox, the song of songs! and Missy and I were headbanging in delight. i think i just jizzed myself again dammit! anyhow, like i announced on the air the other night, you may not the music of SYL but you would enjoy the show cause they come to play every time.

This is the Legendary Drummer Gene Hoglan and us.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/764687/gene_hoglan_with_some_girl_and_some_dude_829.jpg

And this is the Madman Devin himself. great ****ing show!
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-7/764687/devin_02_787.jpg

OrangeShadow
05-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Nas is in my cd player to,waitin for quan's cd to hit sotres

BizzyBone7
05-05-2005, 11:05 AM
Nas is in my cd player to,waitin for quan's cd to hit sotres

i have that cd but i havent opened it yet. i like Quan too. is that him singing in the hook of Just a Moment? ive always wondered that.

Maximus
05-05-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm just into nothing but Jazz right now! Strait Ahead Jazz!!

1. Terrance Blanchard - Bounce
2. Marcus Miller - Silver Rain
3. Miles Davis - Live Round The World
4. Kenny Garrett - Pursuance: Music of John Coltrane

Jesus Christ
05-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Hi.

I just stopped by to clear something up.

Back in the 70s, there was a rumor that if you played Black Sabbath backwards at 78 rpm you would see Me.

Well, actually, it only works if you use Grand Funk Railroad records.

(Don't ask me why.)

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Thanks, and have a nice day. :)

TheManeMan
05-06-2005, 03:02 AM
LOL

Hogan11
05-06-2005, 07:08 PM
Hi.

I just stopped by to clear something up.

Back in the 70s, there was a rumor that if you played Black Sabbath backwards at 78 rpm you would see Me.

Well, actually, it only works if you use Grand Funk Railroad records.

(Don't ask me why.)

Just wanted to set the record straight.

Thanks, and have a nice day. :)

That's because the second self-titled Grand Funk Railroad album (Red cover) is better than the entire Black Sabbath catalog.

If you don't believe me check it out for yourself....there's some serious energy happening on that disc.

Bronx33
05-07-2005, 10:21 AM
I wonder what type computer jesus has? whatever it is iam betting its super fast!

Northman
05-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Apocalyptica- Relfections
Coram Lethe- The Gates of Oblivion
Enthroned- Carnage in Worlds Beyond
I.C.E- Apocalyptic End in White
Necrophagist- Epitaph
Swallow the Sun- The Morning Never Came

Nuggets4
05-09-2005, 10:11 PM
Listening to streaming Dave Matthews Band "Stand Up" and Weezer "Make Believe". Both are disappointing. Dave is still ok, but Weezer.....wow. That one better grow on me.

Also, CB-Champ will appreciate this -- System of a Down's new album has been leaked. I hate downloading leaks because I'm one that wants to read the liner notes while listening the first time, but I couldn't resist. It's not "Toxicity", but it's damn good. I love "Violent Pornography" and "Old School Hollywood" where they use synthesizers big time.

Maximus
05-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Ok I went from listening to Pure Jazz to...

DJ Tiesto - Parade of athletes

Ok Start Cracking up!

TheManeMan
05-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Also, CB-Champ will appreciate this -- System of a Down's new album has been leaked. I hate downloading leaks because I'm one that wants to read the liner notes while listening the first time, but I couldn't resist. It's not "Toxicity", but it's damn good. I love "Violent Pornography" and "Old School Hollywood" where they use synthesizers big time.

Yeah its been a week or so its been leaked...The CD isnt the same as their other 3 albums...but, still a good CD...I also like Violent Porn but, I like Question!, Sad Statue and Revenga the most...I just hope that Hypnotize is a better album...another thing, both albums are a little over 30-40 minutes long...that kinda sucks! Did you happen to see them on SNL last saturday?

Tony Danza cuts in line...LOL

Taco John
05-11-2005, 01:30 AM
I am so all over the map right now...

First off, I can't stop listening to The Game... The Documentary is an unexpected twist for me... While I HATE how much name dropping the guy does, I keep finding myself with his beats stuck in my head, and there's only one way to satisfy that...

Next, the new NIN is rocking me... I've been listenting to that album at least a few times during the day while doing various tasks. Great CD. Reminds me of the old days when I was working at the university library, shelving books to an endless loop of NIN albums.

On deck, I've got The Vines and Sugarcult, which are starting to creep into my current rotation (my 512MB chip for my Treo650).

And if that isn't all over the map enough, I downloaded some tunes from www.ocremix.org. It's incredibly geeky, but I'm not afraid to let my geek flag fly. Some of those tunes are just plain good listening...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-11-2005, 02:04 AM
http://www.scotthenderson.net/vital-two2.jpg

http://www.scotthenderson.net/track3.mp3

http://www.scotthenderson.net/track4.mp3

http://www.scotthenderson.net/track6.mp3

http://www.scotthenderson.net/track7.mp3

http://www.scotthenderson.net/track8.mp3

Taco John
05-11-2005, 02:11 AM
Oh duh... and how can I forget... I'm also listening to Faith No More's "Album of the Year." I've been a FNM fan since I first picked up Introduce Yourself. A lot of people didn't like Chuck Mosley... and certainly it was a different band back then... And who doesn't love "We Care a Lot?"

In any case, I dig Album of the Year. There's something special about that album.

Northman
05-11-2005, 03:22 AM
Oh duh... and how can I forget... I'm also listening to Faith No More's "Album of the Year." I've been a FNM fan since I first picked up Introduce Yourself. A lot of people didn't like Chuck Mosley... and certainly it was a different band back then... And who doesn't love "We Care a Lot?"

In any case, I dig Album of the Year. There's something special about that album.

FNM owns no doubt about it. :militia:

Hogan11
05-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Link Wray was awsome......76 years old, still playing at lightning speed, still smacking the guitar against the amp for max feedback, still tearing up the joint after all these years....at the end of the show, he had to be helped off the stage by two band members....a guy who truly gives his all.

The only bad thing about the whole show was the guy's wife....The Priests warned me about her in advance about the way she hides Link away from the fans...even the opening acts are denied an audience with the legend because of her.....she allows no pictures during the show, no interaction whatsoever.....it didn't detract from the music or Link's performance any, but it still was something of a bummer.

I'm hoping Dick Dale is more accessable.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-12-2005, 10:07 PM
http://www.scotthenderson.net/realpic2.jpg

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-12-2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.scotthenderson.net/vital2.jpg

Nuggets4
05-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Orbit Service - "Twilight"
Parliament - "Greatest Hits"
The Police - "Synchronicity"
Dave Matthews Band - "Stand Up"
Weezer - "Make Believe"
Twalib Kweli - "The Beautiful Struggle"

FADERPROOF
05-15-2005, 06:26 PM
FINALLY!

I got Mudvayne's new CD "Lost and Found"

This CD just kicks ass, it's not quite like LD 50, it's not quite like End of all things to come, its just a mixture of the both and it's just friggin awesome.

Nuggets4
05-15-2005, 06:35 PM
I forgot to mention, I've been listening to System of a Down's new album. Gonna go buy that bad boy on Tuesday afternoon to make it official. It's seriously growing on me and apparently allmusic.com (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE57A1CD247A57E20D19C3C40DBA17EE129D64C EE831F29461BDFBA3C5487047BEC59E795C8AEFB70AB7BAFFF 2BE85205D1CBE453F5CC0640&sql=10:kzfyxqysldse) liked it too.

Bronx33
05-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Metallica:LOAD

TheManeMan
05-16-2005, 01:25 AM
I forgot to mention, I've been listening to System of a Down's new album. Gonna go buy that bad boy on Tuesday afternoon to make it official. It's seriously growing on me and apparently allmusic.com (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE57A1CD247A57E20D19C3C40DBA17EE129D64C EE831F29461BDFBA3C5487047BEC59E795C8AEFB70AB7BAFFF 2BE85205D1CBE453F5CC0640&sql=10:kzfyxqysldse) liked it too.

I think Question! is my favorite...I tend to skip track 6 (this cocaine makes me feel like im on ths song) all the time...I really wish songs 10-11 (old school hollywood and lost in hollywood) were sung by Serj instead of Daron...B.Y.O.B is sick, as is Sad Statue and Revenga...

Kid A
05-22-2005, 07:03 PM
The Arcade Fire- Funeral
A great album. And they're from Canada, no less.

Northman
05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
New Nile comes out tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Hogan11
05-23-2005, 04:12 PM
Dick Dale - King Of The Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale and The Del-Tones
Dick Dale - Tribal Thunder

NOTE - As I said in another thread, I saw this guy in Cleveland last Friday night for the very first time. He ripped the place up....easily one of (if not the) greatest guitar players I've ever had the privelege to witness live.....the volume and fury of his performance was as awe inspiring as it was ear ringing.
He was also very personable, staying till the last person's CD/shirt/pic's etc. were signed, pic's taken & questions answered. I travelled four hours to see him one way....and it was more than worth it. I'll travel up to eight next time, he was that good. If he's in your area, see him...you will not be sorry.

Link Wray - Shadowman The old great's 1997 release....sloppy, feedback drenched rockabilly material and covers of old stuff done in similar fashion.....you cannot go wrong.

Love - Forever Changes One of my all time favorites...a work greater than The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's and widely considered to be one of the top 10 greatest records to ever emerge out of the 60's......it's still criminally ignored by classic rock radio types, but they were never the swiftest of people anyways, so there ya go.

Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - Dim The Lights, Chill The Ham Great surf style instrumental music from Toronto....yes Toronto. If you ever heard the background music on The Kids In The Hall then you've heard these guys.....well worth seeking out if you ever gave that kind of thing a chance.

TheManeMan
05-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Lagwagon - Live in a Dive

http://www.fatwreckchords.com/cov/big/670.jpeg

BroncoInferno
05-23-2005, 05:32 PM
The Brian Jonestown Massacre, Tepid Peppermint Wonderland: A Retrospective

WOW. Unbelievable stuff. Got interested in them after viewing Dig!, a very good rock-documentary about the very different paths taken by BJM and their friends/rivals The Dandy Warhols. I already knew about The Dandys. Solid band, though not a favorite of mine. The Dandys have been very successful, particularly in Europe, while BJM remains laregly unknown anywhere. This is primarily because their leader, Anton Newcombe, is an ego-maniacal prick. He started a fist fight with his own bandmates during an industry showcase at The Viper Room (the scene is captured in Dig!). He sounds cool and levelheaded in interviews, so it may be a case of too much smack. It's a shame, because the music is as good as anything that's come out in the last 20 years. They pretty much spear-headed the whole 60s-revivalist movement. Do yourself a favor and pick this up, then move on to Dig!.

Hogan11
05-23-2005, 07:08 PM
This is primarily because their leader, Anton Newcombe, is an ego-maniacal prick. He started a fist fight with his own bandmates during an industry showcase at The Viper Room (the scene is captured in Dig!).

It's also in the video for "Going To Hell" from Strung Out In Heaven if I remember right.

Maybe the Retrospect is the way to go with the Massacre because that's the only release I was exposed to and other than that standout (an admittingly great song) I didn't find anything more memorable on it...was it a lesser release from them in your opinion?

JPEZ
05-23-2005, 07:12 PM
TOBY KEITH!!
Honkytonk University!!
"I'm a red, white and blue blood graduate of honkytonk U!!" ;D

BroncoInferno
05-24-2005, 04:03 PM
It's also in the video for "Going To Hell" from Strung Out In Heaven if I remember right.

Maybe the Retrospect is the way to go with the Massacre because that's the only release I was exposed to and other than that standout (an admittingly great song) I didn't find anything more memorable on it...was it a lesser release from them in your opinion?

Yeah, most of their albumns are uneven (much like Guided By Voices) in part because Newcombe writes songs at such a fast rate and doesn't bother to edit out the bad ideas. Taken as a whole, however, the work is remarkable. The retrospective probably is the best way to go for a beginner, but the three albumns they put out in '96 (Their Satanic Majesties Second Request, Take It From The Man!, and Thank God For Mental Illness) are all excellent releases, IMHO. Strung Out From Heaven definately wasn't a good place to start. Go with the retrospect to start, and if you're impressed enough (I can't imagine you wouldn't be) go with Take It From The Man!.

Nuggets4
05-24-2005, 05:19 PM
"Demon Days" - Teh Gorillaz

Not digging it as much as the first one. The first one had an element of garage rock to it. This one doesn't. Still good, but more of 3 to 3.5 stars (out of 5) than the 4.5 that the first one was. "Fire Coming Out Of The Monkey's Head" with Dennis Hopper having a spoken word role is pretty badass though.

Hogan11
05-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Yeah, most of their albumns are uneven (much like Guided By Voices) in part because Newcombe writes songs at such a fast rate and doesn't bother to edit out the bad ideas. Taken as a whole, however, the work is remarkable. The retrospective probably is the best way to go for a beginner, but the three albumns they put out in '96 (Their Satanic Majesties Second Request, Take It From The Man!, and Thank God For Mental Illness) are all excellent releases, IMHO. Strung Out From Heaven definately wasn't a good place to start. Go with the retrospect to start, and if you're impressed enough (I can't imagine you wouldn't be) go with Take It From The Man!.

Ok, I'll take you up on this...I'll get it along with the new Teenage Fanclub CD coming out next month and get back to you afterwards.

Taco John
05-25-2005, 01:36 AM
TOBY KEITH!!
Honkytonk University!!
"I'm a red, white and blue blood graduate of honkytonk U!!" ;D

I have a general rule where I stay away from anything and everything that involves the words "honky" and "tonk."

Ratboy
05-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Tegan and Sara - So Jealous
Oasis - (Whats The Story) Morning Glory?

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-25-2005, 05:42 AM
http://www.bluedesert.dk/cd3cm/garfield/los04.jpg
http://www.bluedesert.dk/cd3cm/garfield/candymanlos.jpg

Northman
05-26-2005, 03:32 PM
Nile- Annihilation of the Wicked
Extol- Burial
Gary Numan- Pure

Nuggets4
05-26-2005, 04:30 PM
The Police - "Message In A Box"
Led Zeppelin - "I", "II" and "IV"

BRONCCRUSHFAN
05-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Usher- Confessions
Alan Jackson- Greatest Hits Vol 2
Linkin Park- Meteora
The Beatles- Sgt. Peppers
ZZ Top- Greatest Hits
Van Halen- The Best of Both Worlds
The Notorious BIG- Life after Death

Taco John
05-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Ok, I'm definitely going to get laughed at... But this song by this girl named "Natalie" came up in my Yahoo Launch Cast, and damned if I wasn't digging on it... I'd definitely get sick of it after awhile, but I kind of dig the rap thing she's got going mixed with pop... It definitely takes some talent to do what she does...

Plus she's hot... Check out the video...

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-16201308----Natalie

Hogan11
05-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Ok, I'm definitely going to get laughed at... But this song by this girl named "Natalie" came up in my Yahoo Launch Cast, and damned if I wasn't digging on it... I'd definitely get sick of it after awhile, but I kind of dig the rap thing she's got going mixed with pop... It definitely takes some talent to do what she does...

Plus she's hot... Check out the video...

http://music.yahoo.com/ar-16201308----Natalie

That's what's called a "guilty pleasure" Taco...no one should laugh because everyone has those.......everyone.

Nuggets4
05-26-2005, 07:07 PM
That's what's called a "guilty pleasure" Taco...no one should laugh because everyone has those.......everyone.

Quoted for truth.

scorpio
05-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Dick Dale - King Of The Surf Guitar: The Best of Dick Dale and The Del-Tones
Dick Dale - Tribal Thunder

Right on, Dick Dale comes through Fort Collins and plays the Aggie 2 or 3 times a year. That guy definitely rocks. He did most of the surfer music for Pulp Fiction, if I'm not mistaken.

Hogan11
05-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Right on, Dick Dale comes through Fort Collins and plays the Aggie 2 or 3 times a year. That guy definitely rocks. He did most of the surfer music for Pulp Fiction, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, he did a lot of that....there's a lot of Link Wray in that movie as well. You're lucky he comes through your area so often, I had to drive 4 hours one way to be in the presence of the Master.......and I don't regret it at all.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
05-28-2005, 03:51 AM
This girl sings so good it's scary.

Gives me goose bumps everytime. :)

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/pattysmyth/art/cover.jpg

Bronx33
05-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Cat Stevens Majikat,earth tour...........

Sodak
05-28-2005, 09:56 PM
Jawbreaker - Bivouac
Snapcase
Down By Law
Dissent
Naked Raygun - Throb Throb
Rise Against

TheManeMan
05-28-2005, 10:22 PM
Which Down By Law album Sodak?

Sodak
05-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Which Down By Law album Sodak?

punkrockacademyfightsong

It's a great disc. One of my faves.

I'm also big on Dag Nasty. Great stuff...

Bronx33
05-29-2005, 10:28 PM
I stumbled on to this,what do ya think?

http://www.200proof.com/

Hogan11
05-29-2005, 10:55 PM
punkrockacademyfightsong

Academy Fight Song? Is that a Mission Of Burma cover??

delany
05-30-2005, 12:43 AM
So a ring tone is now the number 1 song in the UK? Ouch.

I really think we are devolving.

Sodak
05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Academy Fight Song? Is that a Mission Of Burma cover??

No, but there is a great remake of 500 Miles by The Proclaimers.

Hogan11
05-30-2005, 07:29 PM

Ah, gotcha....it's just whenever I see Academy Fight Song, I think Mission Of Burma, my bad.

TheManeMan
05-30-2005, 08:33 PM
punkrockacademyfightsong

Cool man...I havent listened to Down By Law since they changed lead singers...They only put out 3 good albums in my opinion, I really havent listened to their new stuff...but, punkrockacademyfightsong, Blue and All Scratched Up are those 3...

Sodak
05-30-2005, 10:16 PM
Cool man...I havent listened to Down By Law since they changed lead singers...They only put out 3 good albums in my opinion, I really havent listened to their new stuff...but, punkrockacademyfightsong, Blue and All Scratched Up are those 3...

I don't see how they could change lead singers. Dave Smalley WAS Down By Law. That's strange. It's like Nirvana without Kurt, or Fugazi without Ian Mackaye.

Sodak
05-30-2005, 10:19 PM
More for heavy rotation. On the 90's mellower side....

Samiam
Soul Asylum - Hang Time
Sugar - Copperblue
Uncle Tom

Play2win
05-31-2005, 09:37 PM
I wonder what type computer jesus has? whatever it is iam betting its super fast!
Its Gotta be a MAC ;D

Northman
06-01-2005, 07:10 AM

I just heard a great remake of the Faith No More song From Out of Nowhere by Raunchy. cool stuff.

delany
06-01-2005, 03:58 PM
Check out Ambeon.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Northman
06-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Meshuggah- Catch 33
Zombi- Cosmos
Metal Church- Weight of the World

Nuggets4
06-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Oasis - "Don't Believe The Truth"

If you were a fan of their first two albums, they're back. I really dig the album. If they could just do stuff like this and "Morning Glory" and "Definately Maybe", they'd be almost as good of a band as they think they are.

Kid A
06-04-2005, 08:35 PM
Oasis - "Don't Believe The Truth"

If you were a fan of their first two albums, they're back. I really dig the album. If they could just do stuff like this and "Morning Glory" and "Definately Maybe", they'd be almost as good of a band as they think they are.

To hear Liam Gallager tell it : "This is a classic record. Definitely Maybe's an alright record, people just have this love affair with it because it's the first record. I think the songs are better on this record but it's the sixth album and we're waning to some people and they think we're not as great as we used to be, all that nonsense. This album's better than the first two."

"I'm writing some classic songs," Liam says.

"Now I'm f...ing mega."

I seriously doubt their public boasting is completly serious, but they are, to use their language, "serious wankers."

delany
06-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Top 3 played this week by me according to audioscrobbler

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
Luciano - Sweep Over My Soul
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

Nuggets4
06-05-2005, 11:07 AM
I seriously doubt their public boasting is completly serious, but they are, to use their language, "serious wankers."

Part of me loves the Gallagher's just because they're so damn over the top. I couldnt' stand being around them, but I really want to see them live in concert just for hoping that a fight will break out on stage between the two of them.

scorpio
06-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Gorillaz - Demon Days
The Game - The Documentary
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
Jason Mraz - Waiting For My Rocket To Come

Hogan11
06-07-2005, 10:56 PM
The Priests - Tall Tales
The Cynics - Living Is The Best Revenge
The Standells - The Best Of
Steely Dan - Citizen Steely Dan
Cream - Those Were The Days

Northman
06-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Einherjer- Norwegian Native Art
My Dying Bride- Songs of Darkness, Works of Light
Opeth- Damnation

Pat Bowlen
06-12-2005, 01:12 AM
I'm listening to Mazzy Star - Fade Into You, but I'm not sure if this is the thread to post about it in.

mattleecrew
06-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Dropkick Murphys - the warriors code
White Stripes - get behind me satan
radiohead - ok computer
Four Tet - Everything Ecstatic
foo fighters - in your honor

Sassy
06-12-2005, 08:59 PM
"Jazz for Sassy" ;D

Bobranker101
06-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Sublime- "40oz to freedom"

Hogan11
06-13-2005, 08:36 PM
"Jazz for Sassy" ;D

Which is on "Hogan Records" if I'm not mistaken Ha!

Sassy
06-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Which is on "Hogan Records" if I'm not mistaken Ha!
Yeah...it's a pretty good music company so far ;)
They only record "limited" editons. :thumbsup:

Bronx33
06-14-2005, 06:40 PM
Yes FOLKS the long awaited PAT BOONE sings........Entersandman!

http://www.clayloomis.com/PBentersandman.wav

Nuggets4
06-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Foo Fighters - "In Your Honor"

GREAT album.

Bronx33
06-15-2005, 06:29 PM
Metallica - orion ( instumental) master of puppets

Bronx33
06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
This would be a good show to go see........

http://event.nexttix.com/next/online/register.jsp?performance_id=130406&external_transaction_id=2B22444E374D5868F707666196 0F532D3C7568&external_system_id=150&club_id=1&cobrand=EWKLY&rcobrand=EWKLY&HS1020=other_us.f527.mail.yahoo.com&external_performance_id=210243

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-17-2005, 05:11 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002OLG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Simply one of the baddest rock vocalists of all time, IMO.

She was Eddie Van Halen's first choice to replace Diamond Dave, but she turned him down to pursue a solo career, and he went with Sammy instead.

Bronx33
06-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Black Sabbath-heaven and hell

Rocket 7
06-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Jimi Hendrix-The ultimate experience

Nuggets4
06-18-2005, 12:05 AM
The Roots - "Phrenology"
The Roots - "The Tipping Point"
The Roots - "Things Fall Apart"
Wilco - "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
Wilco - "A Ghost Is Born"

Because I just saw both of these bands at Red Rocks tonight. Great show. ?uestlove is my hero.

Northman
06-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Dream Theater- Octavarium
Def Leppard- Rock of Ages ( Collection )
Limp Bizkit- The Unquestionable Truth

FADERPROOF
06-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Opeth- Blackwater Park
Dream Theater- Octavarium
Def Leppard- Rock of Ages ( Collection )
Limp Bizkit- The Unquestionable Truth

I'm going to just forget that you have a Limp Bizkit CD playing, wiped out of my memory and not going to remember it.

But seriously, Limp Bizkit?

Northman
06-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm going to just forget that you have a Limp Bizkit CD playing, wiped out of my memory and not going to remember it.

But seriously, Limp Bizkit?

I enjoy Significant Other and The Hot Dog Flavored Water on occasion but never fear the new one is garbage despite Boreland's return. guess i should went with the new Mudvayne instead eh? Hilarious!

FADERPROOF
06-18-2005, 11:07 AM
I enjoy Significant Other and The Hot Dog Flavored Water on occasion but never fear the new one is garbage despite Boreland's return. guess i should went with the new Mudvayne instead eh? Hilarious!

Lost and Found by Mudvayne is an awesome CD, I think it is permantely stuck inside my CD player because it hasnt came out since I bought it.

I still wouldn't put it ahead of LD 50, but its definitely better than End of all things to come.

Northman
06-18-2005, 11:26 AM
I forgot to add that i got Static-x's new one as well. and it is great although the first single they have is the worst song on the album.

Kid A
06-18-2005, 12:36 PM
The Roots - "Phrenology"
The Roots - "The Tipping Point"
The Roots - "Things Fall Apart"
Wilco - "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot"
Wilco - "A Ghost Is Born"

Because I just saw both of these bands at Red Rocks tonight. Great show. ?uestlove is my hero.
Wilco was in lawrance for a music festival this weekend, but I unfortunatly couldn't make it. The red rocks show must have kicked ass.

Evenrude
06-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Foo Fighters - "In Your Honor"

GREAT album.

I second that...... that albums kicks ass.

Hogan11
06-18-2005, 03:11 PM
This is what I've been listening to for awhile now.....I've damn near bought the entire catalog. Click on a band, go to their page and check out some samples of the great Rochester NY garage rock scene.

http://www.garagepoprecords.com/default.asp

BroncoInferno
06-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Hogan...ever get around to the Brian Jonestown retrospective?

Hogan11
06-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Hogan...ever get around to the Brian Jonestown retrospective?

No I haven't Inferno.....between these garage rock shows in my area, the stuff on Garage Pop Records & the new Teenage Fanclub CD, I forgot all about that, my apologies.

I will make a point of getting that though ASAP....I know it has to be pretty cool because you have great taste when it comes to this stuff...I'll let you know when I get it and what I think of it.

BroncoInferno
06-19-2005, 03:50 PM
No I haven't Inferno.....between these garage rock shows in my area, the stuff on Garage Pop Records & the new Teenage Fanclub CD, I forgot all about that, my apologies.

I will make a point of getting that though ASAP....I know it has to be pretty cool because you have great taste when it comes to this stuff...I'll let you know when I get it and what I think of it.

That's cool...although albumn to albumn they can be a bit spotty, the retrospective is two discs of absolutely amazing song craft. I'll be surprised if you don't like it.

Another albumn I'd highly recommend is the Kaiser Cheifs debut Employment. If you like Franz Ferdinand dance-rock type stuff, you'll probably like them.

How's the new Teenage Fanclub, by the way? Always been a fan and was thinking about picking it up.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-20-2005, 09:00 PM
http://www.carlverheyen.com/images/CVB_RumorFrontSmall3.jpg

http://www.carlverheyen.com/

Hogan11
06-20-2005, 09:01 PM
That's cool...although albumn to albumn they can be a bit spotty, the retrospective is two discs of absolutely amazing song craft. I'll be surprised if you don't like it.

Another albumn I'd highly recommend is the Kaiser Cheifs debut Employment. If you like Franz Ferdinand dance-rock type stuff, you'll probably like them.

How's the new Teenage Fanclub, by the way? Always been a fan and was thinking about picking it up.

I initally really liked the Franz Ferdinand CD, but it hasn't worn well on me since...for me, a little of that dance stuff can go a very long way.

Man-Made is a solid enough release from the Fannies....a little underwhelming like Grand Prix was to me at first, but I'm sure once it sticks, it'll be very difficult to shake....I'm already having a hard time turning it off. I like it a lot more than I do Howdy!, but really...this band has done nothing that I haven't liked overall.....I just wish they'd put out material more than once every 4 years or so.

Criminally overlooked, consistantly good and easily one of the best bands to emerge from the UK in the 90's....if there was any justice in this world at all, Teenage Fanclub would be hailed as one of the all time greats with all the accolades a band like U2 gets these days.

Hogan11
06-20-2005, 09:06 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000002OLG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Simply one of the baddest rock vocalists of all time, IMO.

She was Eddie Van Halen's first choice to replace Diamond Dave, but she turned him down to pursue a solo career, and he went with Sammy instead.

I was never all that big on Smyth....she seemed kinda bitchy and pouty with Scandal to me, which turned me off from her early on.....granted I haven't heard any of her solo material that I can recall and Scandal was over 20 years ago, so I speak of then and not now simply because I can't in good faith.

I must confess I've never heard the Van Halen story before.......if the fanbase was pissed off by Hagar and Eddie's sudden "I wanna play keyboards" thing, I can only imagine what the hiring of Smyth to replace Roth would've done to them.....that would've caused rioting in the streets or something I'm sure Ha!

Raider Bill
06-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Van Halen was over for me once Diamond Dave was out of the picture. His Eat 'Em and Smile band was fantastic. Too bad he couldnt have kept that group together.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/72/039_36918.jpg

Raider Bill
06-20-2005, 10:41 PM
The guy in Roth's band now makes a more convincing Edward than Edward.

http://diamonddavidleeroth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5423&stc=1

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-20-2005, 10:47 PM
I was never all that big on Smyth....she seemed kinda b****y and pouty with Scandal to me...

Hmmm...maybe you caught her on a bad night. She's usually a lot of fun.

I must confess I've never heard the Van Halen story before.......if the fanbase was pissed off by Hagar and Eddie's sudden "I wanna play keyboards" thing, I can only imagine what the hiring of Smyth to replace Roth would've done to them.....that would've caused rioting in the streets or something I'm sure Ha!

It was Ed's idea. Eddie used to sit in with Scandal when they stopped in L.A.
I'm sure Ed didn't care about how it might look to the fans - he just wanted a chance to work with an exceptionally talented vocalist like Patty.

Hogan11
06-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Hmmm...maybe you caught her on a bad night. She's usually a lot of fun.

Maybe IRL, but the videos they made made her look like a pouty biatch with max attitude....a big turn off in these parts.

It was Ed's idea. Eddie used to sit in with Scandal when they stopped in L.A.
I'm sure Ed didn't care about how it might look to the fans - he just wanted a chance to work with an exceptionally talented vocalist like Patty.

The fanbase still would've freaked out big time whether Eddie cared about it or not..........on second thought, she would've been better than Hagar for the type of material they went on to do without Roth anyways since Hagar couldn't ever put the pop/metal thing over effectively, even if his life depended upon it.

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Maybe IRL, but the videos they made made her look like a pouty biatch with max attitude....a big turn off in these parts.

My recollections of her vids are just the opposite. In the first Scandal video ("Goodbye to You") she was jumping up and down and smiling exuberantly like she was having the time of her life. As for the video for "The Warrior," Patty is on record saying she hated it, (that is, she thought the costumes/make-up/hairstyle foisted on her by the record label were lame) so maybe that's what comes across.

In any event, all that matters to this listener at the end of the day is what she does behind the mic.

The fanbase still would've freaked out big time whether Eddie cared about it or not....

It's really hard to say with any certainty. I guess we'll never know for sure now. My hunch is that the majority of the fans would have still bought the album and still gone to the shows (since Eddie was the main attraction anyway.) I remember all the die-hard EVH loyalists with the "Dave who?" signs in the arenas after Roth split. Eddie could apparently do no wrong in these fans' eyes.

Hogan11
06-22-2005, 08:27 AM
My recollections of her vids are just the opposite. In the first Scandal video ("Goodbye to You") she was jumping up and down and smiling exuberantly like she was having the time of her life. As for the video for "The Warrior," Patty is on record saying she hated it, (that is, she thought the costumes/make-up/hairstyle foisted on her by the record label were lame) so maybe that's what comes across.

In any event, all that matters to this listener at the end of the day is what she does behind the mic.

I remember "Goodbye To You" a bit differently then.....granted I haven't seen it in years, but as I remember it, yeah she was jumping around alot but she was playing up to the attitude of the kiss off lyrics pretty effectively....I agree with the rest of this section of your post.

No one is questioning her vocal ability or her looks, just her presentation then....as I said before, I haven't heard her in years and I really didn't care for Scandal at all.

It's really hard to say with any certainty. I guess we'll never know for sure now. My hunch is that the majority of the fans would have still bought the album and still gone to the shows (since Eddie was the main attraction anyway.) I remember all the die-hard EVH loyalists with the "Dave who?" signs in the arenas after Roth split. Eddie could apparently do no wrong in these fans' eyes.

Maybe you're right but I seem to recall a lot of irritation with VH fans over the Roth split and EVH's ever increasing fascination with playing keyboards over his guitar.....I just think the placement of Smyth as lead vocalist would've been much harder for the average metalhead to accept than Hager........maybe I'm wrong in that but still I can't think of any precedent with that radical of a frontperson change to compare it to off the top of my head.....I would've like to have seen the reaction to that anyways...too bad it didn't happen.

I wonder whatever happened to Pal Shazar? ???

Northman
06-22-2005, 04:55 PM
I remember all the die-hard EVH loyalists with the "Dave who?" signs in the arenas after Roth split. Eddie could apparently do no wrong in these fans' eyes.

There's no doubt in my mind that Eddie was a big part as was Roth for their split. Diamond Dave can certainly be a asshole but when you go through 3 different singers it isnt just the original guys fault.

Raider Bill
06-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I was an Eddie guy until the split, when Roth left it was no longer Van Halen.

Eat 'Em and Smile sounded more like a Van Halen record then 5150 did.

Hogan11
06-22-2005, 07:22 PM

Diamond Dave appears not to share EVH's fetish for keyboards/synths...

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-22-2005, 07:57 PM
There's no doubt in my mind that Eddie was a big part as was Roth for their split. Diamond Dave can certainly be a a-hole but when you go through 3 different singers it isnt just the original guys fault.

Yeah, after hearing both sides of the argument, it sounds like Eddie was the one who was being a prick for the most part.

Northman
06-23-2005, 03:25 AM

Ill tell you what, Vai's guitar work on that record was just simply amazing. :)

delany
06-23-2005, 01:51 PM
according to my audioscrobbler...these three were highest for last week

Beth Orton - Trailer Park
Ali Farka Toure - Ali Farka Toure
V/A - We Love You...So Love Us Too

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
06-23-2005, 06:42 PM

Yep.

His playing on the follow-up "Skyscraper" was pretty slammin' as well.

Northman
06-24-2005, 03:33 AM
Recently picked up the last two Perfect Circle albums Thirteenth Step and Emotive.

Raider Bill
06-24-2005, 08:15 AM

I heard that Vai and Billy Sheehan still played "Shyboy" at those G3 shows.

Raider Bill
06-24-2005, 08:22 AM
Yep.

His playing on the follow-up "Skyscraper" was pretty slammin' as well.

I dug Vai's playing, but thought that he was bending over backwards using "thin sounding" chord inversions to leave room for Brett Tuggle's keys in the "sonic landscape". Vai's a friggin virtuoso,Tuggle should be finding room behind what Vai is doing.. I also didnt like the Eventide Harmonizer set to 10 sound for just about every song either.

I was listening to this disc the other day, and a lot of it just comes up short due to the overboard production. The one straight ahead rocker, Hot Dog in a Shake, is weak lyrically.. Roth is more clever than that to have to be so overt with his lyrics.

Sir Mawn
06-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Damien Rice - "O" is a masterpiece.

DB-Freak
06-26-2005, 11:22 PM
Recently picked up the last two Perfect Circle albums Thirteenth Step and Emotive.
You like Children of Bodom and Sepultura?

They have been entertaining me greatly.

Kid A
06-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Damien Rice - "O" is a masterpiece.
I really liked Blower's Daughter. I take the rest of songs are just as good.

Sir Mawn
06-27-2005, 06:57 PM
I really liked Blower's Daughter. I take the rest of songs are just as good.

Some of them are better IMO but Blower's Daughter is one of the highlights, no doubt.

TheManeMan
06-27-2005, 08:17 PM
Pennywise - The Fuse

Northman
06-28-2005, 03:17 AM
You like Children of Bodom and Sepultura?

They have been entertaining me greatly.

Yea, im more of a old Sep fan as opposed to their recent work but i do like them. i really like COB as well but if you like them you need to check out a couple of bands called Mors Principum Est and Skyfire. they are in the same vein but actually better. :thumbs:

Northman
07-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Leave's Eyes- Elegy
Blut Aus Nord- Memoria Vetusta I

Hogan11
07-07-2005, 07:30 PM
http://www.thewoggles.com/

http://www.garagepoprecords.com/priests/priests.htm

http://www.garagepoprecords.com/quitters/quitters.htm

http://www.garagepoprecords.com/veins/veins.htm

http://www.chesterfieldkings.com/

Bronx33
07-07-2005, 08:21 PM
Some of them are better IMO but Blower's Daughter is one of the highlights, no doubt.

http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com/damienrice/

L.A. BRONCOS FAN
07-08-2005, 02:57 AM
Luuuuuuuke!

http://www.stevelukather.net/images/pictures/03-07-05.luke.10.jpg
http://www.stevelukather.net/images/pictures/03-07-05.luke.16.jpg

Bronx33
07-09-2005, 12:21 PM
The beatles-Rubber Soul