PDA

View Full Version : Summer Vacations

Drunk Monkey
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I know it is a little early but what is everyone planning on doing for a summer trip? I am thinking about packing the wife and dogs in the RV and heading to Colorado. She will be 5 months pregnant so we won't be doing anything to crazy. What are some of your favorite sites? We are a little more interested in nature then city. Thanks for the feedback.

hades
04-11-2011, 02:22 PM
My wife and I are going to Vegas with a group of about 8 or 10 friends for a long Memorial Day weekend.

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
I know it is a little early but what is everyone planning on doing for a summer trip? I am thinking about packing the wife and dogs in the RV and heading to Colorado. She will be 5 months pregnant so we won't be doing anything to crazy. What are some of your favorite sites? We are a little more interested in nature then city. Thanks for the feedback.

Oh really? That RV has got a 65 gallon tank and gets 5 miles to the gallon... you really wanna spend that kind of cash on the gas?

Lemme answer that for you--No.

Chris
04-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Maybe N'awlins. Maybe hike the Fjords in Norway but that's probably out of my price range. Some buddies are taking 8 weeks (students) to drive from Argentina to Texas... might join part of the trip.

Anyone ever done a South American road trip?

jhns
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm planning on going to Vegas for the first time. I'm not sure if the trip will happen now though. I iust bought a house and may not have the money to go.

rugbythug
04-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Imo vegas sucks. Im going to the beach with the kids. Panama city.

Drunk Monkey
04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Oh really? That RV has got a 65 gallon tank and gets 5 miles to the gallon... you really wanna spend that kind of cash on the gas?

Lemme answer that for you--No.

Well, if it's not the RV then we are probably flying somewhere. Probably international, probably over $1200. At $4 a gallon and 5mpg (I think we can do better than that) that's 1,500 miles worth of gas. Plenty to get to CO and back.

Meck77
04-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Waiting on a final confirmation but looking at China for a month in June. 10 cities in 30 days traveling with my girlfriends ballet company. Going to do some business deals during the day and be a stage hand to 40 hot chicks at night. :)

Drunk Monkey. My advice. Try to stay off the I-70 corridor as much as possible in the summer. Steamboat, Rocky Mountain National Park area, Northern Colorado Between Steamboat and Ft Collins. Lot of beautiful country and less people!

I'd be happy to give you some tips via pm but don't want my favorite colorado spots falling into the hands of a chorf fan.

worm
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
Just put in my itinerary for the lottery that starts next week for Glacier National Park backcountry sites. Going for a UPK-HOL-FRAx2-BOW plan with a few summits along the way..

Also doing the MR340 race. If anybody is in St Louis - KC during this event come out and cheer me on....or throw tomatoes.

worm
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM

Have you been to Panama City? IMO, go farther South to Cape San Blas. Nice beaches\bay, fires and dogs allowed on the beach, best bay scallops in the World to harvest...no Panama City cheese.

Peoples Champ
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm planning on going to Vegas for the first time. I'm not sure if the trip will happen now though. I iust bought a house and may not have the money to go.

nah man vegas is cool your very first time, its a sight you wont see anywhere else. It only gets old if you have been there like 10 plus times, or if you have no money to lose/throw away in booze and bars.

jhns
04-11-2011, 03:20 PM
nah man vegas is cool your very first time, its a sight you wont see anywhere else. It only gets old if you have been there like 10 plus times, or if you have no money to lose/throw away in booze and bars.

Yeah, I don't listen to those that say it sucks. I will go and find that out for myself. It is a place I have to visit at least once. I don't even care for gambling, I just want to see the sites(though I would probably gamble some). If I get bored, I can just drive outside of Vegas and get a legal hooker.

rugbythug
04-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Have you been to Panama City? IMO, go farther South to Cape San Blas. Nice beaches\bay, fires and dogs allowed on the beach, best bay scallops in the World to harvest...no Panama City cheese.

My wife set it up. We rented a condo so we are in. We will make the best of it.

TheReverend
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Gf and I are going to spend a week in Cancun at an all inclusive resort at the end of the August and either next month or June we're going to take a little 4-5 day mini vacation Bahamas cruise.

Probably going to do another little bed and breakfast weekend trip for her birthday as well.

rugbythug
04-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I don't listen to those that say it sucks. I will go and find that out for myself. It is a place I have to visit at least once. I don't even care for gambling, I just want to see the sites(though I would probably gamble some). If I get bored, I can just drive outside of Vegas and get a legal hooker.

Well I tried to avoid the carnal so probably not a good baseline for you

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Taking the girlfriend to Mexico in late August.

Going to Knoxville with some college buddies to watch Montana play Tennessee in football. Definitely want to experience watching my team in a big-school atmosphere.

Then going with the girlfriend AND some college friends up to Missoula, Montana for homecoming.

As for your Colorado trip, I'd highly recommend Steamboat as well. I've lived here for six months now and there is no shortage of things to do in the summertime.

TheReverend
04-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Taking the girlfriend to Mexico in late August.

Going to Knoxville with some college buddies to watch Montana play Tennessee in football. Definitely want to experience watching my team in a big-school atmosphere.

Then going with the girlfriend AND some college friends up to Missoula, Montana for homecoming.

As for your Colorado trip, I'd highly recommend Steamboat as well. I've lived here for six months now and there is no shortage of things to do in the summertime.

Where? I'll be there from the 27th to Sept 4th. Could sneak you guys onto the resort for free drinks for a day.

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Well, if it's not the RV then we are probably flying somewhere. Probably international, probably over $1200. At $4 a gallon and 5mpg (I think we can do better than that) that's 1,500 miles worth of gas. Plenty to get to CO and back.

fair enough and good luck with that. I live in the mountains and we depend on tourists so I'm hoping gas doesn't hold a lot of people back from driving, but I just think that is not going to be the case. Once people crunch the numbers and figure the have to pay for the rental, and the gas, and the food, etc... it kinda gets pricey...

SonOfLe-loLang
04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
I'll be in Copenhagen/Southern Sweden for summer solstice. If you wanna get a drink, gylden, im game.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Where? I'll be there from the 27th to Sept 4th. Could sneak you guys onto the resort for free drinks for a day.

Nice, that would be awesome, but we're actually going to be in Playa del Carmen about a week before you get there.

Next time.

underrated29
04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Gf and I are going to spend a week in Cancun at an all inclusive resort at the end of the August and either next month or June we're going to take a little 4-5 day mini vacation Bahamas cruise.

Probably going to do another little bed and breakfast weekend trip for her birthday as well.

Im always curious as to why a 4-5 night cruise? (not the cruise part but the duration) and how/where do you book them?

TheReverend
04-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Im always curious as to why a 4-5 night cruise? (not the cruise part but the duration) and how/where do you book them?

She's a small business owner so taking a full week off for Mexico is already asking a lot. Another full week is pretty out of the question.

As for how to find them? Google is your friend bro. Just look up cruises and then can select ports and duration and then try to find something that fits your budget/schedule/etc.

Living in FL makes it even easier because there are so many ports within driving distance (Jax, Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, etc).

underrated29
04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
She's a small business owner so taking a full week off for Mexico is already asking a lot. Another full week is pretty out of the question.

As for how to find them? Google is your friend bro. Just look up cruises and then can select ports and duration and then try to find something that fits your budget/schedule/etc.

Living in FL makes it even easier because there are so many ports within driving distance (Jax, Port Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale, Miami, etc).

I see..The time off thing is a big reason why.

As for the looking up on google thing. I am on the other side of all of that. So I am always curious as to how people book their stuff...online, or with a company or with vendors themselves etc. I know about all the cruises and itineraries and destinations of stuff -and all that. But I do not get to see the consumer side so I always am intrigued where it comes from.

You selected the vendors then...?

HAT
04-11-2011, 04:31 PM

4 night cruises are popular mini get aways over a long weekend. You're not going to get the same ports of call as you do with a 7 day+ but you still get the ship amenities. They are popular with first timers as sort of a test cruise.

On the East coast most stop in the Bahamas and maybe a private island owned by the cruise line. From LA they just go to San Diego & Ensanada, Mex. I think they also have them from New Orleans to Cancun/Cozumel.

It's not about the destinations though. If you just want to kick it by the pool, eat like crazy, party it up & do some gambling you can swing some fantastic deals on these.

Just look at Yahoo travel or any major travel site for more info.

underrated29
04-11-2011, 04:34 PM
4 night cruises are popular mini get aways over a long weekend. You're not going to get the same ports of call as you do with a 7 day+ but you still get the ship amenities. They are popular with first timers as sort of a test cruise.

On the East coast most stop in the Bahamas and maybe a private island owned by the cruise line. From LA they just go to San Diego & Ensanada, Mex. I think they also have them from New Orleans to Cancun/Cozumel.

It's not about the destinations though. If you just want to kick it by the pool, eat like crazy, party it up & do some gambling you can swing some fantastic deals on these.

Just look at Yahoo travel or any major travel site for more info.

You are 1 minute too slow..lol see above post.

but thanks anyhow.

TheReverend
04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I see..The time off thing is a big reason why.

As for the looking up on google thing. I am on the other side of all of that. So I am always curious as to how people book their stuff...online, or with a company or with vendors themselves etc. I know about all the cruises and itineraries and destinations of stuff -and all that. But I do not get to see the consumer side so I always am intrigued where it comes from.

You selected the vendors then...?

There are so many last minute cheap cruise options I do sort through them online.

Priceline.com
Cruise.com
Vacationstogo.com

So many options. And I also prefer to avoid interacting with humans.

ghwk
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Just do a quick check in with your doc before you head to Steamboat, sometimes high altitude and pregnancy can be a little rough, at 5 months it may not be an issue. The docs on the mane know more than I do though.

Requiem
04-11-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm putting my whole next paycheck towards a trip. Haven't decided if I want to go to Denver for a few days or just go to Europe. Might try and do both.

HAT
04-11-2011, 04:48 PM
You are 1 minute too slow..lol see above post.

but thanks anyhow.

Yeah saw that...

As far as rationale....

Time off of work is certainly a big reason. I know if I had 3 weeks off per year I'd probably be more inclined to use it in smaller, more frequent chunks rather than 7-14 day trips.

Then you have the people who use them as 'sea trials' if you will. Like a retired couple where the wife wants to book a 21 day Panama Canal cruise because of all of the interesting ports but they've never cruised before so they want to make sure they can handle life aboard.

Cost is another. Plenty of people can't afford 7+ day cruises but still want to experience a cruise vacation.

Lastly, you have the singles/party crowd who just wants 3-4 nights of boozing & gambling without having to fly to Vegas.

What did you mean you work 'on the other side' of all of that?

To answer your other question, I do all my research online & then book direct usually. Seldom use the discounters because there are too many restrictions and penalties. Booking direct is usually just as cost effective. I'll book through AA if I can use miles (or earn them).

Mogulseeker
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm going to go to Monaco and gamble away you guys' 401k while receiving oral sex from a French prostitute in a jacuzzi.

underrated29
04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
There are so many last minute cheap cruise options I do sort through them online.

Priceline.com
Cruise.com
Vacationstogo.com

So many options. And I also prefer to avoid interacting with humans.

lol. Avoiding humans..So many of them out there are idiots.

That is interesting.

lol- you probably have not noticed this but next time you do look. All of those places you listed all have the exact same price. All of them. There is no difference between any of them on prices because they do not make up their prices. The prices are set from vendors.

Also any online booking will charge you a minimum of $10....They all charge fees. That is where you get the differences. Then they add on credits or what not with certain promotions that are made available. (that is what really separates any one place from the other)

ant1999e
04-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Watch yourself. Vegas is awesome and we need the tourists to help our economy. Plus there is much more to Vegas than the strip. Valley of fire, red rock canyon, Mr. Charleston to name a few local attractions.

TheReverend
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
lol. Avoiding humans..So many of them out there are idiots.

That is interesting.

lol- you probably have not noticed this but next time you do look. All of those places you listed all have the exact same price. All of them. There is no difference between any of them on prices because they do not make up their prices. The prices are set from vendors.

Also any online booking will charge you a minimum of $10....They all charge fees. That is where you get the differences. Then they add on credits or what not with certain promotions that are made available. (that is what really separates any one place from the other)

Are you a travel agent?

underrated29
04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah saw that...

As far as rationale....

Time off of work is certainly a big reason. I know if I had 3 weeks off per year I'd probably be more inclined to use it in smaller, more frequent chunks rather than 7-14 day trips.

Then you have the people who use them as 'sea trials' if you will. Like a retired couple where the wife wants to book a 21 day Panama Canal cruise because of all of the interesting ports but they've never cruised before so they want to make sure they can handle life aboard.

Cost is another. Plenty of people can't afford 7+ day cruises but still want to experience a cruise vacation.

Lastly, you have the singles/party crowd who just wants 3-4 nights of boozing & gambling without having to fly to Vegas.

What did you mean you work 'on the other side' of all of that?

To answer your other question, I do all my research online & then book direct usually. Seldom use the discounters because there are too many restrictions and penalties. Booking direct is usually just as cost effective. I'll book through AA if I can use miles (or earn them).

Yeah, cant reveal what I do but I work very closely with all of that.

And you do your research pretty well, most of what you said is pretty right on the mark. Allow me to say a few things though.

Most- and I say MOST of the time a 7day cruise can be had for about 50-100 more than a 4-5 night. Now of course when the 5 nights are 199-then its $200 more...But the point remains the same...$199 for a 4-5nt or $399 for a 7nt---However, most 3,4,5 nighters are about the same as a 7...Typically between $300 and $450.

Vendors (cruise lines) make Most of their money by consumers on board. Not by purchase price. So when they can get you on the ship for an additional 2-3 days, they will make price incentive to do so. Which is why the 7nts are almost always, and i mean it, almost always the same or just a tad higher then the 3/4/5 day ones.

Also- on the short cruises, they cruise lines put out their older/smaller/less desirable ships. Reasoning should be obvious on this one, but main theme on selling is why take a 3/4/5 on an old ship, when you can take a new, awesome..blah blah blah for 100 more for 7 days and still get back in time for church or work on monday etc etc.

You are right about the party booze thing and testing the waters.

Booking direct is a good thing. Not always the best in terms of consumers interest, but never bad. It is the safe choice so to speak. Saves vendors money. Lots of money. You do not have to pay fees either! But honestly it is not in your best interest for rates and bonuses,,like upgrades, credits etc. In fact, from what I see very rarely do people actually get the proper-price or knowledge or cabins or bonuses or anything. There are a few good ones out there.

VTG- does a pretty good job. They are one of the better ones, but even then we still have lots of mess to clean up because of what they do. But there are many others. As long as someone is happy and everything delivers though it is not that big of a deal.

oubronco
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
I'm going to go to Monaco and gamble away you guys' 401k while receiving oral sex from a French prostitute in a jacuzzi.

Atta boy

underrated29
04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Are you a travel agent?

Nope. I work with them closely though. I bounce around in and out of them all the time though. And trust me, most are complete idiots. lol- its so pathetic. Most have........nevermind. It is just funny to see how the whole machine works.

underrated29
04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Watch yourself. Vegas is awesome and we need the tourists to help our economy. Plus there is much more to Vegas than the strip. Valley of fire, red rock canyon, Mr. Charleston to name a few local attractions.

I have only been to vegas once, two years ago for a hockey tournament. I freaking LOVED IT!!! I never left the strip.

I have another tourney there in 16 days and I can not stop thinking about. I do not plan to leave the strip either. But holy batman balls that place is insane. I am sure other parts are sweet too, but I go to party and play hockey and party some more. Cant wait.

Chris
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
Waiting on a final confirmation but looking at China for a month in June. 10 cities in 30 days traveling with my girlfriends ballet company. Going to do some business deals during the day and be a stage hand to 40 hot chicks at night. :)

Drunk Monkey. My advice. Try to stay off the I-70 corridor as much as possible in the summer. Steamboat, Rocky Mountain National Park area, Northern Colorado Between Steamboat and Ft Collins. Lot of beautiful country and less people!

I'd be happy to give you some tips via pm but don't want my favorite colorado spots falling into the hands of a chorf fan.

Where are you going in China? Let me know if you need HK / Shanghai tips.

ant1999e
04-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I have only been to vegas once, two years ago for a hockey tournament. I freaking LOVED IT!!! I never left the strip.

I have another tourney there in 16 days and I can not stop thinking about. I do not plan to leave the strip either. But holy batman balls that place is insane. I am sure other parts are sweet too, but I go to party and play hockey and party some more. Cant wait.

We've lived here for about 10 months and it hasn't gotten old yet. I prefer Fremont st. over the strip. Cheaper beer, free concerts and more centrally located. I imagine it's more of a locals place to go.

Arkie
04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Some buddies are taking 8 weeks (students) to drive from Argentina to Texas... might join part of the trip.

Are they planning to drive on death road in Bolivia?

Drunk Monkey
04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Just do a quick check in with your doc before you head to Steamboat, sometimes high altitude and pregnancy can be a little rough, at 5 months it may not be an issue. The docs on the mane know more than I do though.

Thanks for the heads up, we have an apt in a couple of weeks I will definitely bring it up.

Drunk Monkey
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Where are you going in China? Let me know if you need HK / Shanghai tips.

cosign on HK. I go there 4 to 8 times per year. Great city with so much to offer.

Drunk Monkey
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Maybe N'awlins. Maybe hike the Fjords in Norway but that's probably out of my price range. Some buddies are taking 8 weeks (students) to drive from Argentina to Texas... might join part of the trip.

That would be awesome. Having said that they will be covering some pretty rough territory. 30 years ago my dad drove from NM to Costa Rica a couple of times. The stories are great. Back then most people were to poor to afford guns. Now..... But what ever it would be a great adventure.

Chris
04-11-2011, 07:22 PM
cosign on HK. I go there 4 to 8 times per year. Great city with so much to offer.

Born and raised... but I've been away for a while now. You probably know it better than I do at this point (I think I'd still go to Dragon-i).

Hong Kong has a lot to offer if you have money and like expensive things... exactly why I'm no longer there. Very tough place for creative people, unlike NYC.

underrated29
04-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Born and raised... but I've been away for a while now. You probably know it better than I do at this point (I think I'd still go to Dragon-i).

Hong Kong has a lot to offer if you have money and like expensive things... exactly why I'm no longer there. Very tough place for creative people, unlike NYC.

Always wanted to go there, but never have. However, like you I hit up shanghai or beijing a couple times a year..beijing more so now. The food, that alone brings me back. Actually my fav place in the world to vacay.

Chris
04-11-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeap. New York can kiss hong kong's butt in food. That's the only part of HK culture the local government can't bulldoze. Have to say it.

TheReverend
04-11-2011, 09:12 PM
I'm putting my whole next paycheck towards a trip. Haven't decided if I want to go to Denver for a few days or just go to Europe. Might try and do both.

Hope Europe is higher on your priority list. Denver is fantastic as everyone will attest to, but hitting Europe has much more history and exposure to foreign and old time culture and will only get harder to visit as life and responsibilities start chipping away at your personal freedom.

TailgateNut
04-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Heading to the "Big Island" in July. One week of no stress. Deep sea fishing, snorkeling, diving, riding a hog on the "sunny side", and spending good times with the family.

broncocalijohn
04-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Im going to Myrtle Beach as I hear women are easy. Well, the ones that have suckers as boyfriends as they party hard with vacationers.
In reality, up to my cabin in Big Bear. Many think it is only good in the winter for the skiing but bike riding, hiking and 10 degrees at least cooler than where I live makes it a relaxing mini vacation. BBQ and staying at my own place saves tons of money.

Requiem
04-12-2011, 05:53 AM
Hope Europe is higher on your priority list. Denver is fantastic as everyone will attest to, but hitting Europe has much more history and exposure to foreign and old time culture and will only get harder to visit as life and responsibilities start chipping away at your personal freedom.

No doubt Europe is, but I've never been to Denver! I had about 5 good friends move to the area last summer and they want me to come down. One of them is a lift operator up near Steamboat, so I'd like to hit the slopes up if I can at least once. Probably gonna try to get there at the end of May. Tickets from Southwest are only 200$ round-trip from MPLS, so the costs won't be that much. :) Plus, I have 3 days off during the middle of the week and get Memorial Day off, so that leaves me 4 days (plus a half day) to get back to Fargo from Denver. Seems good enough.

Who knows, I'd prefer to get to Denver during camp rather than earlier, but who knows if there will be/when there will be camps this year.

All and all, yeah -- Europe is what I'm going for. I'm not sure how much it costs, but I'm looking at a 7 day trip. Plan to use EuroRail pass to go between a few countries, but that's probably all I'd have time for.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
No doubt Europe is, but I've never been to Denver! I had about 5 good friends move to the area last summer and they want me to come down. One of them is a lift operator up near Steamboat, so I'd like to hit the slopes up if I can at least once. Probably gonna try to get there at the end of May. Tickets from Southwest are only 200$ round-trip from MPLS, so the costs won't be that much. :) Plus, I have 3 days off during the middle of the week and get Memorial Day off, so that leaves me 4 days (plus a half day) to get back to Fargo from Denver. Seems good enough.

Who knows, I'd prefer to get to Denver during camp rather than earlier, but who knows if there will be/when there will be camps this year.

All and all, yeah -- Europe is what I'm going for. I'm not sure how much it costs, but I'm looking at a 7 day trip. Plan to use EuroRail pass to go between a few countries, but that's probably all I'd have time for.

Do both if you can, but man, go to Europe.

TheReverend
04-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Do both if you can, but man, go to Europe.

I think he just made it sound odd the way he mentioned both in the same sentence and seemed to have no preference.

Brb, taking a trip to Australia or Ohio, can't decide?!?!

Chris
04-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Kind of like Jacksonville.... or Orlando....

TheReverend
04-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Kind of like Jacksonville.... or Orlando....

...What?

Chris
04-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Anyone ever been to Sweden or Norway?

underrated29
04-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Anyone ever been to Sweden or Norway?

yes and yes..

stockholm and oslo- if you are heading to either of those.

Old Dude
04-12-2011, 11:32 AM
In about three weeks, I'm going on permanent vacation. (Retirement)

Unfortunately, I won't have any money to travel, so I'll probably just surf the porn sites.

Chris
04-12-2011, 11:37 AM
yes and yes..

stockholm and oslo- if you are heading to either of those.

What do you recommend checking out? I've got 10 days and my buddies and I were thinking of doing Stockholm... skipping Oslo (heard it was less cool) then heading up to the Norwegian Fjords before doing the last weekend in Copenhagen.

I kind of want to do a mix of partying and hiking. Would be cool if we could take a boat up to the Fjords.

underrated29
04-12-2011, 11:45 AM
What do you recommend checking out? I've got 10 days and my buddies and I were thinking of doing Stockholm... skipping Oslo (heard it was less cool) then heading up to the Norwegian Fjords before doing the last weekend in Copenhagen.

I kind of want to do a mix of partying and hiking. Would be cool if we could take a boat up to the Fjords.

well when I was there I did several things. The first thing I wanted to do so bad was go check out the ice bar. Which it was cool, one of like 17 in the world, where everything is made of ice. The bar, the tables etc etc etc....but it was a fugging rip off!!! It was still worth checking out i suppose but....oh got to go,

to be continued..

SonOfLe-loLang
04-12-2011, 11:51 AM

I spent a week in stockholm a couple years ago, best week of my life...though that probably had less to do with stockholm and more to do with the hot swede i met in stockholm. Its kind of a stuffy party city...its fun though, but i dunno

I will be in Copenhagen, southern sweden this summer again. I do love me some scandinavia

Chris
04-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Scandinavian chicks are hot (dated two swedes briefly). The Vikings basically plucked the best from mainland Europe, didn't they?

Stuffy party city... like Paris or London (that's why I love Berlin). Fair enough. I may get set up with some locals so we'll see.

How is Copenhagen?

worm
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Drinking can be pretty expensive in Sweden. However, the ship you can take on the Baltic from Stockholm to Helsinki is a ton of fun as the alcohol is tax free. Basically a great party night on a cruise ship, decent food, lots of people looking for a great time, then waking up in a different country.

I have taken it 4 different times...sometimes getting a cabin and sometimes just making due and never failed to meet chicas. The thing was like the love boat.

As far as Norway goes...Nothing wrong with Oslo. It is a nice city....but Bergen is definitely my favorite.

dbfan21
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
My wife and I are celebrating our 10-year anniversary by leaving the kids with the grandparents and doing 7 nights at the Atlantis Resort on Paradise Island in the Bahamas. I cannot wait!! :thumbs:

underrated29
04-12-2011, 02:25 PM
well when I was there I did several things. The first thing I wanted to do so bad was go check out the ice bar. Which it was cool, one of like 17 in the world, where everything is made of ice. The bar, the tables etc etc etc....but it was a fugging rip off!!! It was still worth checking out i suppose but....oh got to go,

to be continued..

So short and sweet since someone else has already given some good stuff.
After that I checked out the vasa museum...never did any hiking or anything like that. Just cruised the city. It was great and yes the ladies are insanely hot, or insanely ugly. Most are hot.

Chris
04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
I used to live in London so I know all about expensive drinking. I wish I was single on this trip but c'est la vie.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Scandinavian chicks are hot (dated two swedes briefly). The Vikings basically plucked the best from mainland Europe, didn't they?

Stuffy party city... like Paris or London (that's why I love Berlin). Fair enough. I may get set up with some locals so we'll see.

How is Copenhagen?

Well stuffy in this sense: I'm from LA and had harder time getting into some stockholm lounges/clubs than i do in LA. Also, the people there can be a little, whats the word, stiff, especially dudes who had no problem saying some interesting **** to me. The upside is that the female population seemed to be enamored with Americans and were quite easy to talk to. But i love stockholm, clean, beautiful, safe city.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-12-2011, 03:09 PM
So short and sweet since someone else has already given some good stuff.
After that I checked out the vasa museum...never did any hiking or anything like that. Just cruised the city. It was great and yes the ladies are insanely hot, or insanely ugly. Most are hot.

The vasa museum was actually the only touristy thing i did there. And its worth checking out. Good call on the ladies sitch, but ill say this about swedish women in general. Their HOTTEST arent any hotter than america's hottest, but their "average" girl is really cute.

Chris
04-12-2011, 03:31 PM
Swedes are like the English... they meet they friends at school while growing up, they're incredible friends... but they tend not to meet new people... at least in my experience (same theory has been repeated by a buddy who is half Swedish).

Swedish women also seem to be the most sexually liberated women on the planet.

I have one or two contacts that should hopefully get us in wherever we want to go.

I want to balance the partying with something healthy, restorative... can't keep up with the partying after six years on an 80 hour 6 day week schedule. That's why I'm interested in the Fjords (that and they're damn cool).

SonOfLe-loLang
04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Swedes are like the English... they meet they friends at school while growing up, they're incredible friends... but they tend not to meet new people... at least in my experience (same theory has been repeated by a buddy who is half Swedish).

Swedish women also seem to be the most sexually liberated women on the planet.

I have one or two contacts that should hopefully get us in wherever we want to go.

I want to balance the partying with something healthy, restorative... can't keep up with the partying after six years on an 80 hour 6 day week schedule. That's why I'm interested in the Fjords (that and they're damn cool).

Do it. You cant go wrong with scandinavia if you ask me.

Oh, and czech women may have a bone to pick with your sexually lib comment

Chris
04-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I went to Prague with my mother :(

SonOfLe-loLang
04-12-2011, 04:12 PM
I went to Prague with my mother :(

That was a bad decision :) I was actually supposed to go to prague with a swede. Said swede flaked on me at the last minute (which was just the beginning of really odd behavior), so I was left all alone to find my fun in prague.

Chris
04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
You could've created a real European Union.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-12-2011, 04:48 PM
You could've created a real European Union.

I cant wait to go back :)

broncocalijohn
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
I think he just made it sound odd the way he mentioned both in the same sentence and seemed to have no preference.

Brb, taking a trip to Australia or Ohio, can't decide?!?!

Colder in Australia in the summer as it is winter there at that time. Went to Australia for my honeymoon in 2000/2001 right after Christmas for 10 days and wish we stayed a few days longer. South Wales is awesome as staying in Sydney, rolling up to Hunter Valley for their wine country and then taking off to the Blue Mountains for a few days. Maybe Melbourne or Brisbane next time.

Drunk Monkey
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Colder in Australia in the summer as it is winter there at that time. Went to Australia for my honeymoon in 2000/2001 right after Christmas for 10 days and wish we stayed a few days longer. South Wales is awesome as staying in Sydney, rolling up to Hunter Valley for their wine country and then taking off to the Blue Mountains for a few days. Maybe Melbourne or Brisbane next time.

South Wales in in Europe, New South Wales is in Auz. Agree it is an awesome place. The wife is from Brisbane and unlike most people I don't mind visiting the inlaws.

Chris
04-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Never went to Brisbane but did Coolum, Noosa and Sydney. I was a fan. I was a fan of the women too. I was actually supposed to be working in Sydney the past three months but had to bail because of personal reasons (bummer that was).

Lelang - what's the dress code in Sweden? Is it poncy conservative **** like Paris and London?

Mountain Bronco
04-13-2011, 02:36 PM

The Redneck Riv over Vagas. Have fun with that.

I actually enjoy Panama City area, but not Panama City. Destin is much better IMO.

Mountain Bronco
04-13-2011, 02:37 PM

From Texas go to SW colorado and do Ouray, Durango, Mesa Verde, Telluride etc...

There are lots of great RV parks and a nice break from the weather in TX, plus it is a quicker drive than Northern CO.

Drunk Monkey
04-13-2011, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Chris;3156652]Never went to Brisbane but did Coolum, Noosa and Sydney. I was a fan. I was a fan of the women too. I was actually supposed to be working in Sydney the past three months but had to bail because of personal reasons (bummer that was).QUOTE]

Ya, I love me some Auzzie women. The general attitude of the whole country is great. They are so laid back and friendly. One day when we have more time we plan to drive from Cairns to Melbourne.

Drunk Monkey
04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
From Texas go to SW colorado and do Ouray, Durango, Mesa Verde, Telluride etc...

There are lots of great RV parks and a nice break from the weather in TX, plus it is a quicker drive than Northern CO.

Thanks for the feedback. The change in weather will make the trip worth it by itself.

Chris
04-13-2011, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=Chris;3156652]Never went to Brisbane but did Coolum, Noosa and Sydney. I was a fan. I was a fan of the women too. I was actually supposed to be working in Sydney the past three months but had to bail because of personal reasons (bummer that was).QUOTE]

Ya, I love me some Auzzie women. The general attitude of the whole country is great. They are so laid back and friendly. One day when we have more time we plan to drive from Cairns to Melbourne.

Having said that, hello casual racism.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Never went to Brisbane but did Coolum, Noosa and Sydney. I was a fan. I was a fan of the women too. I was actually supposed to be working in Sydney the past three months but had to bail because of personal reasons (bummer that was).

Lelang - what's the dress code in Sweden? Is it poncy conservative **** like Paris and London?

For the clubs? Seemed to be pretty conservative. Jeans probably frowned upon, the nicer you look, more designer **** youre wearing, the better off you are.

Chris
04-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Damnit I hate that ****. That's why I love living in NY and I love Berlin. I'll suck it up.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Damnit I hate that ****. That's why I love living in NY and I love Berlin. I'll suck it up.

I think NY is kinda like that too....i was not allowed into some bars there (not in the village, but uptown) because of "improper attire" LA is great, everyone here dresses casual.

Mogulseeker
04-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Scandinavian chicks are hot (dated two swedes briefly).

Did they both know about it / were they cool with it?

maven
04-14-2011, 11:07 AM
No summer plans yet.... But, I'm chillin in chiang rai right now.

Chris
04-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I think NY is kinda like that too....i was not allowed into some bars there (not in the village, but uptown) because of "improper attire" LA is great, everyone here dresses casual.

It depends on where you go. Second rate clubs (anything in Midtown and a lot of the stuff in the Meatpacking) can be like that because they know the best they're going to get are a bunch of banker suckers. Bankers dress like old men so there you go.

The best clubs in the city (we're talking 5 places tops and this changes every few months) tend to value the "cool" of artists... meaning even people that aren't artists dress like artists. My brother has been discriminated against because he looks like a euro preppy. That's what separates the best places in NY from places like London or Paris where it's all about money. Young New York will always put "cool" (however fickle and silly that may be) ahead of money.

Pony Boy
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Atlantis in the Bahamas (wasn't my first choice ......family hostage situation)

Chris
04-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Atlantis in the Bahamas (wasn't my first choice ......family hostage situation)

Not a bad place to be man. The Caribbean is AMAZONG.

bfoflcommish
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
was going to take the kids to Orlando in 6 weeks, but the engine in my wifes car went out so there goes that $$$, blah!!!!

Pony Boy
04-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Not a bad place to be man. The Caribbean is AMAZONG.

I love the Caribbean but Atlantis is like Disney World on steroids.....

TailgateNut
04-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Sounds like the perfect place for you!:wave:

Chris
04-14-2011, 05:30 PM

So grab a girl, get a boat, push off and come back when the holiday's over.

or Fear and Loathing in Atlantis.

ScottXray
04-14-2011, 07:59 PM

Going to Palm Springs next week for a week, then going to Hawaii for two weeks in August. Whatever Island has the volcano natl park...

HOT HOT HOT ...gonna get me some of that