PDA

View Full Version : Who to take with #2

IronHog
04-11-2011, 02:39 AM
After some lurking, I see many who like the idea of trading down, but what is the general opinion on what to do with our #2? Peterson, Dareus, Von Miller... Who are you really hoping we get? I am very intrigued by Dareus, and from evereything I have seen or read be looks like a real beast.

Sound off with whatever or whomever we should get with our pick. And I am glad I joined the forum BTW, there are not a lot of Bronco fans in Sacramento.

OBF1
04-11-2011, 04:44 AM
I would not be hurt with either Peterson or Dareus at #2, If I had to pick one right now, I really think Peterson would look great on the Orange and Blue, I am thinking Denver is going DT with the pick. Miller would shock me without a doubt.

BroncoInferno
04-11-2011, 07:36 AM
My preference of those three is Miller, Peterson, Dareus. Honestly, I still prefer Fairley to Dareus. I think Dareus will be a solid player, but he wasn't a dominating superstar in college, so to think he will be that in the NFL is questionable. He never even made first-team all-SEC. I think there has been a lot of nit-picking with Fairley. That said, I'm resigned to that fact that the echo chamber is what it is, and we probably won't be looking at Fairley unless we trade down. Anyway, like I said, I don't see Dareus becoming an elite defensive tackle, whereas I think Peterson and Miller WILL be elite players at their positions. I slightly prefer Miller to Peterson because of the greater front seven need we have, plus I think Fox will get really creative with a strongside guy who he can move around and let loose at the QB. I am OK with us picking Dareus, though.

Denver724
04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
I think that Newton will go #1. Miller will be in demand at #2. I think this is a trade down situation with AZ as I think Buffalo would grab him at #3. Miller is the highest rated player by PFW. Also, don't count out a trade down with the 49ers who have a huge need at CB (Peterson). And if Newton doesn't go #1? Well, we should be getting calls on him at #2 if there. Thoughts?

oubronco
04-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Dareus, Miller, Peterson

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
I think we'll take Miller now

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Dareus, then Miller then Peterson...

Kaylore
04-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Peterson or Dareus. Miller screams bust to me. He's like this years' Gholston.

Garcia Bronco
04-11-2011, 02:36 PM
If we draft a DB at #2, I'll make that whole Ashley Lelie incident look sane.

GoBroncos84
04-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Dareus, Peterson, Miller

Chris
04-11-2011, 08:23 PM
I think we're leaning towards Miller.

NFLBRONCO
04-11-2011, 09:04 PM

I wonder this too

SimonFletcher73
04-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Fairley. Wouldn't be upset with Dareus, Miller, Peterson, or even Quinn.

Xanders will make the right decision anyways.

BroncoInferno
04-12-2011, 07:00 AM

Miller and Peterson are the two safest picks in the draft. .

primetime714
04-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Miller while talented enough to fit any defense is not a great fit in the scheme we will be using. It would be a waste of his talents to put him in a 4-3 scheme that generates most of its pressure from the front 4. Not to mention we already have WLB in DJ. Does Miller play the SLB? Is that a good fit/good use of his talents?

Miller would be a poor pick for the Broncos, but would be a good pick for any 3-4 defenses.

BroncoInferno
04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Miller while talented enough to fit any defense is not a great fit in the scheme we will be using. It would be a waste of his talents to put him in a 4-3 scheme that generates most of its pressure from the front 4. Not to mention we already have WLB in DJ. Does Miller play the SLB? Is that a good fit/good use of his talents?

Miller would be a poor pick for the Broncos, but would be a good pick for any 3-4 defenses.

First of all, Fox has stated Miller would play strongside for us if we picked him. Second, you need to think outside of the box. If we drafted Miller at #2, I assure you it would not be to play the role of a traditional 4-3 SSLB. For an idea of how Miller would likely be used, think Terrell Suggs in Baltimore. Baltimore used a 4-3 his first few seasons in the league, and they were creative in how they used him and took advantage of his skill set. Julian Peterson in another example when he played for San Fran and Seattle. Fox would utilize his skill set just fine.

Warlord
04-13-2011, 03:06 PM
First of all, Fox has stated Miller would play strongside for us if we picked him. Second, you need to think outside of the box. If we drafted Miller at #2, I assure you it would not be to play the role of a traditional 4-3 SSLB. For an idea of how Miller would likely be used, think Terrell Suggs in Baltimore. Baltimore used a 4-3 his first few seasons in the league, and they were creative in how they used him and took advantage of his skill set. Julian Peterson in another example when he played for San Fran and Seattle. Fox would utilize his skill set just fine.

Good post. Also keep in mind that Miller may fit Allen's 3-3-5 scheme (which I'm sure we'll see a healthy dose of) very nicely.

I think the big question he needs to answer is: can he cover the TE downfield in the NFL? Being able to do that allows the DC to blitz him effectively. If he's all pass rush, no cover (like Doom), then teams just start accounting for you as another DL.

primetime714
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM

Suggs played DE in the 4-3. I don't remember him playing much LB in that system. A better comparison isn terms of size and skill set is Joey Porter. He I believe only played the 4-3 his first year in Miami and while not bad was definitely not fully utilized. When Miami switched to a 3-4 the next year he went from 5.5 sacks to 17.5 Obviously a great player and did a fine job in a 4-3, but not nearly the same impact in a 3-4.

I don't discount Miller as a player at all or that John Fox will use him as best he can in this system. The simple fact of the matter is the system is not setup to fully utilitize him and the SLB spot is one of the easiest to fill in this system (can be filled through a mid-late round pick or internally/FA). Pass rushing LB's belong in a 3-4.

uplink
04-14-2011, 03:43 PM

I think so too.

uplink
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
I think that Newton will go #1. Miller will be in demand at #2. I think this is a trade down situation with AZ as I think Buffalo would grab him at #3. Miller is the highest rated player by PFW. Also, don't count out a trade down with the 49ers who have a huge need at CB (Peterson). And if Newton doesn't go #1? Well, we should be getting calls on him at #2 if there. Thoughts?

The 3-4 teams will be crazy for Miller, thought he would be good in the 4-3 as well.

ICON
04-15-2011, 09:04 PM
I think we're leaning towards Miller.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcST6dLJCFRAgIqnx6RN6Qv9t4JTOfSUf PYxxYLjY7GkDCx8FbD_kQ

Agamemnon
04-16-2011, 03:26 PM
I just don't see Miller as a good choice for us. Square peg in a round hole. Peterson doesn't address what we need to fix this defense. Dareus or Fairley are who I would prefer (trading down and grabbing Fairley is the best case scenario).

Durango
04-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I just don't think the Broncos can go wrong with either Dareus or Miller. Fairley has all the appearances of great potential, but wasn't he a one-year wonder of sorts?

I'd personally prefer Von Miller, but we're just too desperate along the d-line for that kind of luxury (unless we trade down of course), so Dareus just seems like the no brainer.

JCMElway
04-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I think the odds of Denver trading down are greater than staying at #2.

Aftermath
04-21-2011, 07:10 PM
i want peterson. i have never wanted a player so badly :mancrush:

SpringStein
04-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I think the odds of Denver trading down are greater than staying at #2.

Who do you project as move up candidate(s)?

Arkansas Bronco
04-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Im willing to bet that we take Miller.