PDA

View Full Version : Trex decking

Cito Pelon
04-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Anybody versed in composite decking? Trex, azek, PVC, etc?

I'm thinking about making the old deck firewood, and install composite, but there's a lot of different brands out there.

Help, please.

HAT
04-10-2011, 06:34 PM

I'm thinking about making the old deck firewood, and install composite, but there's a lot of different brands out there.

Help, please.

I'm a GC so I'll throw you some thoughts after I eat dinner.
Here's the deck & fencing sub-forum for the best contractor forum on the net.

It's not really a board for homeowners to register & ask advice but their should be plenty of quality threads for you to read what the pros are discussing.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f50/

Here's another decent board if you want to actually participate in the discussion,

http://www.diychatroom.com/

Malcontent
04-10-2011, 07:11 PM
Glad we got that settled... : )

Cito Pelon
04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm a GC so I'll throw you some thoughts after I eat dinner.
Here's the deck & fencing sub-forum for the best contractor forum on the net.

It's not really a board for homeowners to register & ask advice but their should be plenty of quality threads for you to read what the pros are discussing.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f50/

Here's another decent board if you want to actually participate in the discussion,

http://www.diychatroom.com/

Thanks. Looking at the contractortalk board now. Seems Timbertech Evolutions gets a lot of love. AZEK some love.

oldschoolorange
04-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Things to consider when using any composite decking:

Durable but not structurally sound. Because the substructure needs to be made of wood at nearly twice the span requirements it makes the value roughly the same as building with redwood and replacing every 25 years.

Cito Pelon
04-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Things to consider when using any composite decking:

Durable but not structurally sound. Because the substructure needs to be made of wood at nearly twice the span requirements it makes the value roughly the same as building with redwood and replacing every 25 years.

Yeah, I'm rethinking the project after reading the contractortalk.com board back to late-2010. There was about 7-8 threads regarding composite decking, and it doesn't look so rosy.

The deck is solid structurally, but it has always been painted and I'm tired of painting it.

My options are strip the old paint and stain it, or put the composite on the existing underframe, in which case I'll still have to strip the paint off the underframe to match the color of the composite.

I was thinking a composite deck also included the underframe, not just the floor planks.

I'm thinking now after some research I'll have to either suck it up and strip it, condition it, stain it; or suck it up and PAY someone to do it. I hate to pay, but I hate to strip and stain also.

I think I'll pay someone to strip the old paint, stain it, then I'll build a roof over it. It's only an 8x10 deck with 9 steps down to ground level.

TailgateNut
04-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Yeah, I'm rethinking the project after reading the contractortalk.com board back to late-2010. There was about 7-8 threads regarding composite decking, and it doesn't look so rosy.

The deck is solid structurally, but it has always been painted and I'm tired of painting it.

My options are strip the old paint and stain it, or put the composite on the existing underframe, in which case I'll still have to strip the paint off the underframe to match the color of the composite.

I was thinking a composite deck also included the underframe, not just the floor planks.

I'm thinking now after some research I'll have to either suck it up and strip it, condition it, stain it; or suck it up and PAY someone to do it. I hate to pay, but I hate to strip and stain also.

I think I'll pay someone to strip the old paint, stain it, then I'll build a roof over it. It's only an 8x10 deck with 9 steps down to ground level.

You could always deep fry a Turkey and then call the insurance company!:yayaya:

LittleFloyd
04-11-2011, 06:45 AM

Help, please.

Hi,

I checked out trex, et al, and found it way to expensive. So I'm going with "Tuff Decks", they sand off the fihish down to bare wood then put on a 50 year durable stain. Looks really nice and a bunch of colors.

Mountain Bronco
04-11-2011, 07:45 AM
I replaced my deck with Trex two summer ago and I am so freaking glad I did. I get a ton of sun exposure and a fair amount of rain and snow moisture. As for the thought of the substructure being wood and having to do more of it (14 inch spacing for the substructure), so the cost savings isn't as good, that isn't entirely true. I had a steal sub structure with 4x4's bracing previously, but the 4x4s were rotted so we replaced with 2x4's on end and we soaked them in stain (litterally 4 coats), plus laid cut stips of roofing tar paper and laid those on top of the 2/4's (awesome tip from a contractor friend of mine) so they will be good to go for quite a few years to say the least. The trex itself was more expensive, but if you think about 1/4 of the labor (still have to restain some of the substructure), no painting and 1/4 of the ongoing costs (stain and other materials), it was actually well worth it and saves money in the long run after we ran the numbers. When I had to previously re-stain my deck it was 2 full 8 hour days, now I am down to under two hours.

I will say that it is a bit of a pain to work with and will dull the hell out of any blade you use to cut it and drains batteries (go with a plug in) on any drill you use to screw it down.

As for which brand I would go with the price. We got ours through a contractor and the supplier they work with had the best deal on trex.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi,

I checked out trex, et al, and found it way to expensive. So I'm going with "Tuff Decks", they sand off the fihish down to bare wood then put on a 50 year durable stain. Looks really nice and a bunch of colors.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2011, 08:09 AM

After I already said I was thinking about making the current deck firewood? Thank you so much for the advice, but I believe I'll try something sane.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2011, 08:31 AM
I replaced my deck with Trex two summer ago and I am so freaking glad I did. I get a ton of sun exposure and a fair amount of rain and snow moisture. As for the thought of the substructure being wood and having to do more of it (14 inch spacing for the substructure), so the cost savings isn't as good, that isn't entirely true. I had a steal sub structure with 4x4's bracing previously, but the 4x4s were rotted so we replaced with 2x4's on end and we soaked them in stain (litterally 4 coats), plus laid cut stips of roofing tar paper and laid those on top of the 2/4's (awesome tip from a contractor friend of mine) so they will be good to go for quite a few years to say the least. The trex itself was more expensive, but if you think about 1/4 of the labor (still have to restain some of the substructure), no painting and 1/4 of the ongoing costs (stain and other materials), it was actually well worth it and saves money in the long run after we ran the numbers. When I had to previously re-stain my deck it was 2 full 8 hour days, now I am down to under two hours.

I will say that it is a bit of a pain to work with and will dull the hell out of any blade you use to cut it and drains batteries (go with a plug in) on any drill you use to screw it down.

As for which brand I would go with the price. We got ours through a contractor and the supplier they work with had the best deal on trex.

Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards keeping the existing substructure, but replacing the walking surfaces, rails and stairs with a composite. I don't think I would have to enhance the substructure much since it's only an 8' x 10' deck. I have 16" centers right now on the substructure.

Casper Bronco
04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Don't go with Trex it sucks. Color fades after a few years because they use recycled plastic. Timbertech is the way to go for sure. I used to work at a lumber yard and that's all I pushed. It is pricier, but you can push for whoever you plan to buy it from to give you a price drop. They will. Timbertech also doesn't use any black dies, which is good because it doesn't get super hot like other materials.

www.timbertech.com

Casper Bronco
04-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards keeping the existing substructure, but replacing the walking surfaces, rails and stairs with a composite. I don't think I would have to enhance the substructure much since it's only an 8' x 10' deck. I have 16" centers right now on the substructure.

You are correct, you won't have to replace the substructure.

Cito Pelon
04-11-2011, 10:26 AM
You are correct, you won't have to replace the substructure.

Thanks for the advice.

OBF1
04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
I did my parents deck for them when they lived in Kauai (North Shore) They have so much rain up there that wood is really not a good option for them. Used trex as the substructure as well and they did not have any problems for the 7 years they were there. PS: Do not waste your time with a rechargeable drill, get a 120v plug and play :)

Cito Pelon
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
I did my parents deck for them when they lived in Kauai (North Shore) They have so much rain up there that wood is really not a good option for them. Used trex as the substructure as well and they did not have any problems for the 7 years they were there. PS: Do not waste your time with a rechargeable drill, get a 120v plug and play :)

Too bad bamboo can't be made into planks. Bamboo is the hardest and most structurally sound wood I've ever dealt with. Better than oak, actually, because it's flexible. And bamboo is light as air.

Tombstone RJ
04-11-2011, 11:39 AM

now that's thinking out of the box! :strong:

Mountain Bronco
04-11-2011, 02:03 PM
I got lucky (and made it dificult) with a partial steal substructure (it was a bitch to fasten to) so I didn't have to replace much, but the 4x4s were totaly rotten. I would definetly lay something like tar paper or tyvek or whatever over your substructure as that helps protect it and reduces the chance that you have to replace it in the life of the composite decking. We also did cedar railings, as they are easy to stain and I didn't like the look of the composite rails. That helped keep the cost down a bit, but not by much, cedar was expensive.

Our trex hasn't faded yet, but we went with a light tan color so I am not sure it will change much. The composite decking is hot when the sun beats on it which is why we went for the light color.

Go with the price as there are a ton of good composite decking materials out there.

broncofan2438
04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
I am in the business and we sell a company is called fiberon. fiberondecking.com

I was hearing that Trex has had a lot of recalls on their material due to poor fire ratings.
Where do you live?

mhgaffney
04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Today I also got a bad report about Trex.

I am looking into a brand called Timbertech. It has a 25 yr warranty and is actually cheaper than Trex/

www.timbertech.com

Ray Finkle
04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I am getting a covered porch done in our back yard, it's small 9X9, there is also a 4X4 area being done by the other back door. Does it matter if we go Treks or pressure treated if it is going to be covered?

Mountain Bronco
04-12-2011, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=broncofan2438;3155116]I am in the business and we sell a company is called fiberon. fiberondecking.com

I was hearing that Trex has had a lot of recalls on their material due to poor fire ratings.
Where do you live?[/QUOTE

Western CO.