04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
When was the last budget passed? Before this

Swedish Extrovert
04-08-2011, 05:08 PM
^ Change the thread title.

DarkHorse30
04-08-2011, 05:42 PM
google it....is this a legit thread?

That aside, I laugh at Reid, Pelosi and 57 (the trifecta of "spending more than you make") Are these people waiting for the Publisher's Clearing House giveaway to solve all their problems? Because that makes 2 of us.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-08-2011, 05:45 PM
You do realize the democrats are the only ones who have proposed/passed something that deals with cost control, right? Its called the ACA.

oubronco
04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
google it....is this a legit thread?

That aside, I laugh at Reid, Pelosi and 57 (the trifecta of "spending more than you make") Are these people waiting for the Publisher's Clearing House giveaway to solve all their problems? Because that makes 2 of us.

They told me I'm winning

Swedish Extrovert
04-08-2011, 05:58 PM
You do realize the democrats are the only ones who have proposed/passed something that deals with cost control, right? Its called the ACA.

That is true, but Obama is kind of going the opposite way on that one. Clinton had a GOP congress... Lyndon Johnson doesn't get enough credit, IMO (still not a good Pres.)....

I wouldn't look too much into it.

I really kind of despise both parties... but Clinton had the country on the right track economically. I voted for Obama, and will probably do so again, and I know it's lazy and very easy to blame George Bush for all of our problems, but it really was the Iraq war, coupled with a top-heavy tax reduction policy that started all this. Trust me, I know saying "it's all Bush's fault" is a liberal cliche, but it really is kinda true.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Iraq war/medicare part D/Bush tax cuts....thats why we have a deficit. as far as clinton goes, he supported regulation too, so hes not off the hook!

Swedish Extrovert
04-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Clinton was the best president we've had since Nixon.

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Clinton was the best president we've had since Nixon.

too bad the dumbass democrats don't understand this. why did Billy get elected--OH FUGGEN YAH, HE WAS A MODERATE DEMOCRAT!!!

good god the democrats are idiots...

OABB
04-08-2011, 06:19 PM
too bad the dumbass democrats don't understand this. why did Billy get elected--OH FUGGEN YAH, HE WAS A MODERATE DEMOCRAT!!!

good god the democrats are idiots...

I remember him getting crucified as a liberal back than too...

Maybe it's not just the dems who are stupid?

Swedish Extrovert
04-08-2011, 06:20 PM

I was about to say... despite Obama's prior voting record that was fairly liberal, his agenda as President thus far has been relatively moderate.

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
I was about to say... despite Obama's prior voting record that was fairly liberal, his agenda as President thus far has been relatively moderate.

horse crap. Obama has always said he has an agenda and he's demonstrated that he has an agenda.

Obama even admits he's not a moderate on his agenda.

Bill Clinton always said he was a moderate, he campaigned on being a middle of the road guy. Obama did no such thing.

OABB
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM

Very much so. He is hated by douches on both sides, and I think that's a good sign....

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2011, 06:33 PM

I remember him being a moderate, a middle of the road democrat. Of course the talking heads like Rush Limbaugh were gonna call him a far left liberal president, that is what idiots like Limbaugh do.

But that is not what Clinton ever claimed to be. He always said he was willing to work with both parties. Obama on the other hand let Pelosi and the super left morons have their way in the House and everyone knows what we got out of that raging fiasco--Obamacare!!

whoopee-friggen-doo!

WolfpackGuy
04-08-2011, 06:51 PM
why did Billy get elected

Ross Perot...

Swedish Extrovert
04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
I remember him being a moderate, a middle of the road democrat. Of course the talking heads like Rush Limbaugh were gonna call him a far left liberal president, that is what idiots like Limbaugh do.

But that is not what Clinton ever claimed to be. He always said he was willing to work with both parties. Obama on the other hand let Pelosi and the super left morons have their way in the House and everyone knows what we got out of that raging fiasco--Obamacare!!

whoopee-friggen-doo!

You mean the health care system proposed by Bob Dole in 1992 and the one Mitt Romney introduced in Massachusetts?

rugbythug
04-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Iraq war/medicare part D/Bush tax cuts....thats why we have a deficit. as far as clinton goes, he supported regulation too, so hes not off the hook!

he averted what could have been a major disastor. Still the 3 months after911 is the worst business clumsy I have ever seen.

Missouribronc
04-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Last year.

rugbythug
04-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Last year.

I heard 2009 it was an honest question. It makes me sad how reliant the populace has gotten on the govt.

gunns
04-08-2011, 08:06 PM
No shutdown. Extension

HAT
04-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Can a GD mod get off their lazy ass and move about 5 dumb ass political threads to the WRP room?

???

Missouribronc
04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Can a GD mod get off their lazy ass and move about 5 dumb ass political threads to the WRP room?

???

I thought that was par for the course for off-season mode here... ???

Don't click on it, don't worry about it... ???

HAT
04-08-2011, 08:51 PM
I thought that was par for the course for off-season mode here... ???

Don't click on it, don't worry about it... ???

I'm down like a clown for off season mode....

A thread titled 'Budget' could be anything.

WTF is the point of sub-forums.

Beezer smokes crack.

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Ross Perot...

yah, that factored in also but he did beat out the incumbent Bush who had good popularity (Gulf War was easily won and quickly over).

Perot was just an idiot...

Tombstone RJ
04-08-2011, 09:47 PM
You mean the health care system proposed by Bob Dole in 1992 and the one Mitt Romney introduced in Massachusetts?

No, I mean a health care bill that was opposed by the majority of Americans and led the way to an ass kicking of epic proportions during this last congressional election cycle.

Crushaholic
04-08-2011, 11:22 PM
yah, that factored in also but he did beat out the incumbent Bush who had good popularity (Gulf War was easily won and quickly over).

Perot was just an idiot...

All that good karma was forgotten, by the time the election rolled around. The Dems forced Bush's hand in "reneging" on the No New Taxes pledge. Some Republicans felt betrayed by Bush, and decided to check out this Ross Perot guy. That split the vote enough for Clinton to win...

Boomhauer
04-09-2011, 05:11 AM

Does the one week CR (continuing resolution) signed last night count as a budget? If so, than the last one was a couple months ago. These CRs are based on the last budget (2010's) passed around the end of Sept 2009.

The 2011 budget, which these CRs have replaced, was supposed to be done in Sept 2010 and based upon a dozen Appropriation Bills that weren't even completed before Sept. Should note the absence of the 2011 budget and app. bills all occurred when Demos still controlled both houses of Congress. In 5.5mos, 2012's budget will be due and app. bills must be completed before that, but Congress is still working on last years homework.

Play2win
04-09-2011, 05:30 AM
perot = nadar

Cito Pelon
04-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Despite all the political posturing, they managed to get a deal done. That's a good sign for future budgets, right? They managed to exclude the fringe stuff and compromised with political reality. That's about all that can be asked for, really.

Boomhauer
04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Despite all the political posturing, they managed to get a deal done. ...

What deal? The CRs signed for the last 6.5mos are in place of a budget or 'deal'.

*edit: Just double checked and the claimed 'deal' hasn't even been drafted yet.

HAT
04-09-2011, 10:56 AM
perot = nadar

He's the Spanish verb 'to swim'?

ColoradoDarin
04-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Despite all the political posturing, they managed to get a deal done. That's a good sign for future budgets, right? They managed to exclude the fringe stuff and compromised with political reality. That's about all that can be asked for, really.

1,500 billion deficit just this year alone vs 38 billion in cuts (are these real cuts or are they "we proposed 100 billion in more spending and are only spending an additional 62 billion, thus 'cutting' 38?) Yeah, we're still headed off the budget cliff. The healthcare bill passed last year has already been revised to spend way more than what they said prior to passing it - and it won't insure a single person for 3 more years.

As Rick Santelli said "STOP SPENDING! STOP SPENDING! STOP SPENDING!"

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2011, 01:00 PM
horse crap. Obama has always said he has an agenda and he's demonstrated that he has an agenda.

Obama even admits he's not a moderate on his agenda.

Bill Clinton always said he was a moderate, he campaigned on being a middle of the road guy. Obama did no such thing.

Barack Obama has been the ultimate moderate. Youre crazy if you think he's a liberal. There hasn't been one liberal cause he's supported.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2011, 01:02 PM
1,500 billion deficit just this year alone vs 38 billion in cuts (are these real cuts or are they "we proposed 100 billion in more spending and are only spending an additional 62 billion, thus 'cutting' 38?) Yeah, we're still headed off the budget cliff. The healthcare bill passed last year has already been revised to spend way more than what they said prior to passing it - and it won't insure a single person for 3 more years.

As Rick Santelli said "STOP SPENDING! STOP SPENDING! STOP SPENDING!"

If all the cost controls in the ACA are enacted, it should cut down the deficit considerably over the course of the next 20 years. Now they may try to repeal some of it, and maybe fix other parts of it, but even the CBO said the additional cost of the ACA (which youre referring to) is nominal.

rugbythug
04-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Barack Obama has been the ultimate moderate. Youre crazy if you think he's a liberal. There hasn't been one liberal cause he's supported.

Depends where you stand. He is definitely pretty far out left of the Bell curve.

Universal Health Care is a Liberal Agenda Item. Other than this He has not done much.

ColoradoDarin
04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
If all the cost controls in the ACA are enacted, it should cut down the deficit considerably over the course of the next 20 years. Now they may try to repeal some of it, and maybe fix other parts of it, but even the CBO said the additional cost of the ACA (which youre referring to) is nominal.

It includes over $700 billion in cuts for Medicare. I will bet my entire life savings that we never see $700 billion cut from Medicare, which means that Obamacare will cost at least that much more (and then some).

fdf
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM

SUrely you are kidding--their "serious" proposals on cost containment have netted a 1.6 trillion dollar a year deficit. They had complete control over the country for two years and complete control of congress for the two years before that while they ran the bulk of that deficit up--so they had plenty of opportunity to implement "cost control." If this is cost control, we are done as a nation. Republicans are bad enough. But Democrats in the past four years have spent money like a drunken sailor with ten new credit cards on a crack binge. And that's not really fair to drunken sailors on crack binges.

What's really pathetic is the Republicans starting the bargaining at 61 billion in cuts that weren't even really cuts. They were reductions in Obama's budget, which was way up from last years spending. So net, we would have increased Federal spending even had the Republicans convinced Reid and Obama to adopt all of their "heartless and draconian" cuts.

The American people need to be starting the bargaining at about 750 billion dollars a year in cuts--and that's only half of Obama's deficit. There's still another 750 Billion to go after that. Neither party represents us on this issue. Both are monsters of Washington D.C.. Republicans just want to trash things a little less rapidly than do the Democrats.

Tombstone RJ
04-09-2011, 01:56 PM

dude, seriously, you are really out of touch with this post. I know we have our differences but this above post make no sense, and it really tells me you are not able to look at things from an objective standpoint.

Tombstone RJ
04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Depends where you stand. He is definitely pretty far out left of the Bell curve.

Universal Health Care is a Liberal Agenda Item. Other than this He has not done much.

repeal of the don't ask dont tell policy is absolutely a far left agenda and the precurser to gay marriage.

Why mess with a policy that has worked for years? The don't ask don't tell policy has worked so why mess with it?

gunns
04-09-2011, 01:58 PM
dude, seriously, you are really out of touch with this post. I know we have our differences but this above post make no sense, and it really tells me you are not able to look at things from an objective standpoint.

It wouldn't matter what Obama did you wouldn't agree with him.

Tombstone RJ
04-09-2011, 02:04 PM
It wouldn't matter what Obama did you wouldn't agree with him.

yah, I think he comes from the most corrupt political background possible--he's a product of the Chicago political system which is notorius for being corrupt.

Like I said, if even half the stuff is true about what I've read about him, just 50%, then I cringe at the thought that this guy is in office.

Even if the other 50% is false, it's still scary how this guy made it to the highest office in the land and speaks volumes about how corrupt our political system is and how whacked out the democrats are.

On the other side you have the moron republicans pushing sarah palin--SARAH PALIN!

there you go, that's American politics. Its so sad, it's funny. It's sick twisted and funny all at the same time. Its the greatest tragic comedy of the modern era.

ColoradoDarin
04-09-2011, 02:11 PM
On the other side you have the moron republicans pushing sarah palin--SARAH PALIN!

Ugh. I certainly won't vote for her in the primary. I hope she doesn't run.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2011, 02:56 PM
It includes over $700 billion in cuts for Medicare. I will bet my entire life savings that we never see $700 billion cut from Medicare, which means that Obamacare will cost at least that much more (and then some).

Here's a good (yet wonky) post about medicare/cost controls/ and what needs to be done. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2011/01/will_the_medicare_cuts_in_heal.html

Ezra has been all over that ****. Obviously more needs to be done, but its a start. My main fear with healthcare is that its a runaway train that could have been reigned in years ago, but we failed too. Now doctors/insurance companies/and drug companies simply make too much and they won't want to cut back

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2011, 03:03 PM

Except the affordable care act was NOTHING like what liberals wanted. The liberal version was never even in the conversation. We couldnt even get a friggin public option. Liberals were all for starting the conversation at single payer and negotiating from there. The ACA really is just a give away to insurance companies (assuming the individual mandate stands). Hardly a liberal bill. Liberals like Matt Taibbi think the whole thing is a sh*tshow...i think its a step in the right direction, but a small step

What you're failing to understand is that sometime in the last several years, the "center" shifted to the right and anything left of that is now considered "liberal" But trust me, nothing obama is doing is all that liberal. Where is cap and trade? Where is single payer? He didnt even repeal the bush tax cuts. The healthcare law Richard Nixon tried to pass would have caused current conservatives to call him a communist.

If your argument is repealing "dont ask, dont tell"...one of the most absurd policies ever created, that has nothing to do with being liberal...that has to do with being a decent human being. ****, even DICK CHENEY thinks it should be repealed, as does most of America as polls show. How the hell did it "work?" All it did was kick capable soldiers out of the military, and god knows we need as many of them as possible.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Ugh. I certainly won't vote for her in the primary. I hope she doesn't run.

I think she'll get marginalized pretty quickly. Though I'd love to see Michele Bachmann run because that will be hilarious. Trump too, for entertainment value alone.

rugbythug
04-09-2011, 03:27 PM
The Problem with Health Care is people want to live forever, But Don't. Doctors and Insurance Companies do not make as much money as you are perpetrating. Poor People don't have to pay for much if any of the services they use. So they use a lot. Making Health Care more expensive on the low end (coPays for everything to everyone) will make it more affordable.

ColoradoDarin
04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Here's a good (yet wonky) post about medicare/cost controls/ and what needs to be done. http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2011/01/will_the_medicare_cuts_in_heal.html

Ezra has been all over that ****. Obviously more needs to be done, but its a start. My main fear with healthcare is that its a runaway train that could have been reigned in years ago, but we failed too. Now doctors/insurance companies/and drug companies simply make too much and they won't want to cut back

Really not going to bother to read an EZRA KLEIN! article (same person who said, "like, you know, the Constitution is old and stuff")

SonOfLe-loLang
04-09-2011, 04:05 PM
Really not going to bother to read an EZRA KLEIN! article (same person who said, "like, you know, the Constitution is old and stuff")

Good answer. Ezra actually spent, from what I read, the most time analyzing the bill and the process. He'll inject his opinion on what works and what doesn't, but always lays out all the fact of the complicated bill first.

ColoradoDarin
04-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Good answer. Ezra actually spent, from what I read, the most time analyzing the bill and the process. He'll inject his opinion on what works and what doesn't, but always lays out all the fact of the complicated bill first.

BS. You can believe in rainbow dust and unicorn farts, but don't expect me to.

Xenos
04-10-2011, 07:25 PM
repeal of the don't ask dont tell policy is absolutely a far left agenda and the precurser to gay marriage.

Why mess with a policy that has worked for years? The don't ask don't tell policy has worked so why mess with it?
Because it's wrong. I mean technically speaking slavery worked for the longest time in the USA from an economic standpoint, but it wasn't right.

If you seriously can't learn to get over whatever preconceived notions you may have about someone else, then maybe you shouldn't be in the military in the first place.

Tombstone RJ
04-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Because it's wrong. I mean technically speaking slavery worked for the longest time in the USA from an economic standpoint, but it wasn't right.

If you seriously can't learn to get over whatever preconceived notions you may have about someone else, then maybe you shouldn't be in the military in the first place.

seriously, your comparing don't ask don't tell to slavery? Seriously?

If you have to announce your sexual persuasion to the world then guess what--you're already a slave to your sexuality.

Congrats on your own bondage. Me, I'm much more liberated.

Swedish Extrovert
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Maybe not on the above, but I would definitely consider gay rights a civil rights issue. And Xenos merely pointed out that what is good for the economy/military isn't always right.

Don't even mention that the Pentagon conducted a study that concluded gays in the military produced no operational threat. Don't even mention that a surprisingly high percentage of soldiers who got discharged for being gay were among the military's most talented linguists - an area the US Military is lacking.

When I joined the Navy they made me sign a contract saying I would not engage in homosexual acts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pentagon-release-review/story?id=12270535

Cito Pelon
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
What deal? The CRs signed for the last 6.5mos are in place of a budget or 'deal'.

*edit: Just double checked and the claimed 'deal' hasn't even been drafted yet.

Well, it's a budget for this remaining year, right? Why make it into a conflict?

The budget has to be a compromise, not a conflict.

I guess "compromise" is some kind of dirty word. Why it is, I don't understand.

Cito Pelon
04-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Maybe not on the above, but I would definitely consider gay rights a civil rights issue. And Xenos merely pointed out that what is good for the economy/military isn't always right.

Don't even mention that the Pentagon conducted a study that concluded gays in the military produced no operational threat. Don't even mention that a surprisingly high percentage of soldiers who got discharged for being gay were among the military's most talented linguists - an area the US Military is lacking.

When I joined the Navy they made me sign a contract saying I would not engage in homosexual acts.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pentagon-release-review/story?id=12270535

I never had a problem in the Army with gays. I found they were solid soldiers. If they want to do what they want to do, that's fine. I never saw it effect their operational ability.

That One Guy
04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
I never had a problem in the Army with gays. I found they were solid soldiers. If they want to do what they want to do, that's fine. I never saw it effect their operational ability.

This isn't really the thread for this but the question was never whether the gay guy could do it, it was what ripples would it cause to implement.

Gays fought it and they won. When they're facing the consequences for their newfound freedoms, all I can say is "this is what you wanted".

90% could accept the gays and be fine with them. Those other 10% will make a gay person regret their decisions.

Cito Pelon
04-10-2011, 11:21 PM
This isn't really the thread for this but the question was never whether the gay guy could do it, it was what ripples would it cause to implement.

Gays fought it and they won. When they're facing the consequences for their newfound freedoms, all I can say is "this is what you wanted".

90% could accept the gays and be fine with them. Those other 10% will make a gay person regret their decisions.

It was brought up, so I replied.

Sure, it's the 10% that make life hard for gays in the military.

But, as I said I found the gays I served with to be solid soldiers. I really didn't give a damn what their preference was as long as I could count on them in a battle.

Archer81
04-10-2011, 11:22 PM
That is true, but Obama is kind of going the opposite way on that one. Clinton had a GOP congress... Lyndon Johnson doesn't get enough credit, IMO (still not a good Pres.)....

I wouldn't look too much into it.

I really kind of despise both parties... but Clinton had the country on the right track economically. I voted for Obama, and will probably do so again, and I know it's lazy and very easy to blame George Bush for all of our problems, but it really was the Iraq war, coupled with a top-heavy tax reduction policy that started all this. Trust me, I know saying "it's all Bush's fault" is a liberal cliche, but it really is kinda true.

With a GOP congress...

:Broncos:

Cito Pelon
04-10-2011, 11:39 PM
With a GOP congress...

:Broncos:

Compromise, give and take, that's the key. Just try to move forward. Stagnation, bitching at each other, playing for political gain, that doesn't accomplish anything. The key is make some movement.

elsid13
04-11-2011, 02:36 AM
To answer the original poster's question, the last clean separate appropriation bills were in FY 2007 The last couple of years we have seen a number of consolidate or Omnibus bills (single bill for everything), a very bad practice that Congress and the President have gotten into. Also before 4 years ago you rarely saw policy riders on the appropriation bills, those should be in the authorization bills.

Xenos
04-11-2011, 08:20 PM

If you have to announce your sexual persuasion to the world then guess what--you're already a slave to your sexuality.

Yes I did. And it's because I felt I had to use that example because you asked such a ridiculous question about why "don't ask don't tell" had to be repealed.

Irish Stout
04-11-2011, 09:17 PM
To the OP a budget is passed every year.

To everyone else, liberals and conservatives will never get along and apparently science is moving towards proving that our brains just won't allow us to think in similar fashion:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theticket/20110411/pl_yblog_theticket/will-president-obama-and-the-house-gop-ever-agree-science-suggests-no

bowtown
04-11-2011, 09:22 PM

The flip side of that is if you have a problem with people expressing it, you are just as enslaved by your preconcieved notions and bigotry.

Shouldn't be a big deal either way. I think that's all anyone is asking for.

bowtown
04-11-2011, 09:25 PM

There are 10% that are going to find someone to pick on whether they are gay, weak, foreign, a different color or any other number reasons. Is the answer to create policy that bans all of those groups? Seems to make more sense to me to create policy to weed out and punish that 10% of bullies that feel the need to cause problems.