PDA

View Full Version : Smack Off 2011 -- Pick Your Winner!

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Who ya got?

I love me some Brad in Corona (no homo) and I absolutely hate Vic. So that's the way I'm leaning.

Vote!

Kaylore
04-08-2011, 05:22 AM
I believe this is the smack off, no? Isn't the hack off the loser tourney?

Cmac821
04-08-2011, 05:22 AM
hmmm...I feel like I missed something that would make this make sense

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 06:00 AM
I believe this is the smack off, no? Isn't the hack off the loser tourney?

Oh I'm a dumbass. Good catch. Poll won't edit but you guys know what I mean.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-08-2011, 07:27 AM
People still listen to Rome?

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Yes; lots of people in fact.

bfoflcommish
04-08-2011, 07:46 AM
the winner will be those of us who wont be listening!!!!! Rome was awesome for a brief moment around 1998. But i guess some people like dead air, laughing at own jokes tat arent funny, etc...

Boobs McGee
04-08-2011, 07:48 AM
I think doc mike's gonna make an appearance and clean house. If he doesn't though, I agree with your op wholeheartedly and can't ****ing STAND vic. Some of his takes are funny, but most of the time he's a chode. Brad in corona, or greg in Vegas.

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 07:56 AM
I think doc mike's gonna make an appearance and clean house. If he doesn't though, I agree with your op wholeheartedly and can't ****ing STAND vic. Some of his takes are funny, but most of the time he's a chode. Brad in corona, or greg in Vegas.

An old school guy coming through would be fantastic. Doc Mike or one of those guys coming through on an absolute tear would be sweet.

crowebomber
04-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Mike in Indy has been runner-up two years in a row so I think he's going to bring it this year.

Dukes
04-08-2011, 08:03 AM
I can't stand Vic in nocall. I'm for anyone but him.

Kaylore
04-08-2011, 08:15 AM
I actually think the smack off and hack off have turned Rome's show into a parody of itself. Callers spend more time trying to go on these memorized or read-from-a-script rants rather than bring good sports takes. It's disappointing.

Boobs McGee
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I dunno, a lot of the old school guys have always ripped each other from the beginning...to me, that's what makes the show so hilarious. While I do enjoy his interviews with sports figures, the appeal of the show (to me) is the interaction between listeners.

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 08:29 AM
I definitely understand your point there. The problem is that there is such a fine line between being funny and being lame is so thin. I personally find the smack off guys and the hack off guys funny, but there's these other guys who are just garbage. Thankfully they usually get run once and never call back.

HAT
04-08-2011, 08:39 AM
the winner will be those of us who wont be listening!!!!! Rome was awesome for a brief moment around 1998. But i guess some people like dead air, laughing at own jokes tat arent funny, etc...

More like 1991. The night show & scrub Saturday's on XTRA were good radio. Syndication was his downfall.

This smack off thing.....Does Silk-brah still call in?

srphoenix
04-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Rome was great for awhile but he becomes just plain annoying after a couple weeks listening to him, plus the only sports he'll ever talk about are horse racing and drama between his callers.

I'll take the Dan Patrick show any day over Rome, he actually presents sports news and interviews athletes rather than just slober over them.

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 08:44 AM
I like DP a lot as well, but the idea that he doesn't slobber all over athletes is laughable at best.

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Jeff in Richmond starting us off? Freaking awesome.

broncosteven
04-08-2011, 10:18 AM
I actually think the smack off and hack off have turned Rome's show into a parody of itself. Callers spend more time trying to go on these memorized or read-from-a-script rants rather than bring good sports takes. It's disappointing.

This thread sounds like the movie "Big Fan". I am so glad Rome is no longer on the air in Chicago.

Peoples Champ
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM

i tried to listen to rome a lot in the last year because I liked his guests, but i couldnt stand how much he repeated things, like statements. It got very annoying.

bowtown
04-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I won the smack off last night in my living room. Found a new site and the wife was out. It was epic.

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, my poll was ridiculously short sighted. So many great calls today, it may not just come down to the triangle of hate.

broncocalijohn
04-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Im going with JT the Brick, Eddie The Rope or Doc Mike DeTolla since that is about the last time I listened to Rome. I used to call in as John from Fort Collins (to stand out from other SoCal cities) at least 15-18 years ago when Colorado first got the Rome Show. Was racked a few times then I grew tired of the callers trying to be a sports host themselves. The Brick did it and many had dreams they can be the same which obviously (Thank God) has not happened to our airwaves. My buddy was Chad from Dove Canyon and havent heard from that dude in years.

OBF1
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM

No.... Rome was good in 1991-1992

RhymesayersDU
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Brad in Corona adds a 2nd smack off win to his resume! His call was hilarious.

broncocalijohn
04-09-2011, 06:09 PM
Brad in Corona adds a 2nd smack off win to his resume! His call was hilarious.

Resume? Dude, what type of job will he pull in from winning the smack off? If he was smart, he wouldnt have admitted he was from Corona! Oh, The Mole is coming after me for that comment.

RhymesayersDU
04-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Resume? Dude, what type of job will he pull in from winning the smack off? If he was smart, he wouldnt have admitted he was from Corona! Oh, The Mole is coming after me for that comment.

Wait, what? I didn't mean like his legitimate resume, just using a figure of speech.