PDA

View Full Version : Question: If there is an injunction against the lockout...

Kaylore
04-07-2011, 01:22 PM
If the court ruling forces business to resume, does that mean that teams can trade and sign players until the appeal is ruled on? That would be nice to move and acquire some pieces if that happened... Does anyone know?

Beantown Bronco
04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
From what I've read, there is no answer to this question. My understanding is that the owners would have to agree to some temporary agreement that would set out the "new, temporary" rules for FA, signings and trades in the interim until the new CBA was signed.

tsiguy96
04-07-2011, 01:40 PM
if the lockout is lifted, all FA and trades can resume. PFT sums up this stuff really well.

Beantown Bronco
04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
if the lockout is lifted, all FA and trades can resume. PFT sums up this stuff really well.

That's only true if the player's union didn't de-certify. I'm almost positive that they'd have to re-certify before anything could happen. Or their re-certification would have to be made part of the judge's ruling.

bendog
04-07-2011, 01:50 PM
That's only true if the player's union didn't de-certify. I'm almost positive that they'd have to re-certify before anything could happen. Or their re-certification would have to be made part of the judge's ruling.

I think it's not quite that, but i'm not 100% sure. From what I've read the players want/hope part of the injunction is to resume operations under the terms of the old CBA while the anti-trust suits proceed. The old cba required all contracts, agents, contract negotiation, draft, etch proceed in accordance with what the certified union bargained for. So, essentially they want the biz end to proceed as if the union was certified,and the legal stuff to proceed as if the union was decertified.

I think that's it anyway.

tsiguy96
04-07-2011, 01:53 PM
if injunction is lifted, the league continues under old CBA, including practices, payments to the players, FA and trades. same with bendog, not 100% sure and its hard to look this stuff up since SO much info out there, but pretty sure how it works.

Beantown Bronco
04-07-2011, 01:54 PM
So, essentially they want the biz end to proceed as if the union was certified,and the legal stuff to proceed as if the union was decertified.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1-ZpHr5l0U0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1-ZpHr5l0U0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Kaylore
04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Well now I don't feel so bad for feeling confused.

Kaylore
04-25-2011, 06:41 PM
So any news on this? lol

TheReverend
04-25-2011, 07:11 PM
So any news on this? lol

Think we gotta see if the "stay" sticks or not lol

Missouribronc
04-25-2011, 07:17 PM
The NFL will not begin the "new year" until the appeals are ruled upon. Therefore, no trading until that happens.

gyldenlove
04-25-2011, 07:38 PM
The NFL will not begin the "new year" until the appeals are ruled upon. Therefore, no trading until that happens.

Really it is in the owners court, anything they do now to limit free agency will get them in hot water in terms of antitrust litigation, so if they feel like they can get a deal done before the beginning of the season that will settle the antitrust lawsuit as part of the new CBA they will probably want to block all free agency and trades for as long as possible.

My best guess is that the owners will make a gentlemans agreement to not trade players or pursue free agents, certainly not free agents who have a contract offer from their original team at least until the stay has been heard in appeals court.

Boomhauer
04-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Been double checking the Judge's order of an immediate end to the lockout and subsequent NFL Commish informing teams it 'wouldn't be appropriate' to get back to business. Even if the end of the lockout is delayed or overturned, there has been no rulings about restrictions on FO activity one way or the other. Nothing legally prevents teams from making trades or signing players, only Goodell's request not to, which player reps are calling 'collusion' among the owners against a workforce.

Anyone know if drafted players will actually be CFAs after this weekend since there's no agreement?

peacepipe
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
http://newyork.sbnation.com/2011/4/26/2134553/nfl-lockout-2011-ruling-explained-roger-goodell-demaurice-smith-nflpa-judge-susan-nelson good article about lock out.

lostknight
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Kaylore -> Any player trades under any enforced CBA (say the 2011 rules) would almost certainly fall afoul of the anti-trust rules, since it would apply to every team.

In short, no one knows what the hell will happen.

lostknight
04-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Anyone know if drafted players will actually be CFAs after this weekend since there's no agreement?

No, legal authority for this draft, and new players being bound under the CBA occurred under the last CBA. This is the last portion of the CBA still in force.

Boomhauer
04-26-2011, 12:49 PM
No, legal authority for this draft, and new players being bound under the CBA occurred under the last CBA. This is the last portion of the CBA still in force.

You fail. The CBA ended in March and players agree to terms of the draft when they declare for it, independent of CBA.

Boomhauer
04-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Kaylore -> Any player trades under any enforced CBA (say the 2011 rules) would almost certainly fall afoul of the anti-trust rules, since it would apply to every team.

You fail. That statement makes absolutely no sense. A future CBA could only affect previous signings (retroactive) if all parties of the contract agree. Anti-trust is a term you just threw into a sentence. In short, you don't know what the hell is happening.
http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/row-fail-boat.jpg

gyldenlove
04-26-2011, 01:04 PM

As I said previously you don't need to apply any CBA to enforce trades, it is in the standard player contract that all players have signed as part of their current contract that the club has the right to assign the player to any other team and the player must report to that team.

Kaylore
04-26-2011, 01:15 PM

That's crazy. Does the NFL just make up what they want to do? If they don't do something they could face further legal trouble for not abiding the injunction, no? And it's not like they could just make up new rules to suit them for the same reason. That would mean either pursuing through the year same as the last or agreeing to some kind of watered-down rules with the union in the interim.

lostknight
04-26-2011, 01:22 PM
As I said previously you don't need to apply any CBA to enforce trades, it is in the standard player contract that all players have signed as part of their current contract that the club has the right to assign the player to any other team and the player must report to that team.

Except, let's imagine that you have three companies.
Company A trades with Company B.
Company C then objects that they were not included in the discussion.

Employee agrees with Company C, and files a anti-trust motion.

In that scenario, company B looses.

Under the current view of each NFL team as a independent entity, two companies agreeing to trade players at the cost to a third company falls afoul of anti-trust legislation.

As I noted before, trading without consent can only occur if the entire force is unionized.

lostknight
04-26-2011, 01:24 PM
You fail. The CBA ended in March and players agree to terms of the draft when they declare for it, independent of CBA.

You really need to check your facts, rather then just randomly pissing in other people's cups. The CBA has language in it that allows explicitly for a draft after the termination of the CBA. It's basically the final act of the CBA.

source: Andrew Brandt's interview on CNN earlier this week.

I expanded your ignored post once. Won't do it again.

Boomhauer
04-26-2011, 02:37 PM
... The CBA has language in it that allows explicitly for a draft after the termination of the CBA. It's basically the final act of the CBA.
source: Andrew Brandt's interview on CNN earlier this week. ...

You fail. The Draft is independent of CBAs and saying someone (who I'm assuming is important) said something somewhere without a quote or link doesn't make your comment any less hollow or more believable.

Do the LKnight shuffle...
http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/row-fail-boat.jpg