PDA

View Full Version : Gamechangers

GoBroncos84
04-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Tonight's episode features Marcell Dareus and Aldon Smith. Both are interviewed by Steve Mariucci, worked out by Warren Sapp, and then evaluated by Mike Mayock. Considering Dareus could be a Bronco I thought it was worth giving you all a heads up. It was great to see Dareus' personality in a more candid manor than I have seen before, as well as how he took direction from Sapp and looked really sharp on the practice field. Highly recommended viewing

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-06-2011, 06:38 AM
Tonight's episode features Marcell Dareus and Aldon Smith. Both are interviewed by Steve Mariucci, worked out by Warren Sapp, and then evaluated by Mike Mayock. Considering Dareus could be a Bronco I thought it was worth giving you all a heads up. It was great to see Dareus' personality in a more candid manor than I have seen before, as well as how he took direction from Sapp and looked really sharp on the practice field. Highly recommended viewing

Wish I'd seen that one. I saw the one with Ponder (who does interest me) and Gabbert (who does not) and turned it off halfway through. Mooch was on an ego trip, making the show more about him than it was about the players.

I'll try to catch the Dareus/Smith one, though. Thanks for the heads up.

Abqbronco
04-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Wish I'd seen that one. I saw the one with Ponder (who does interest me) and Gabbert (who does not) and turned it off halfway through. Mooch was on an ego trip, making the show more about him than it was about the players.

I'll try to catch the Dareus/Smith one, though. Thanks for the heads up.

I did the same thing. I was wondering if anyone else felt that way. I was really interested to watch it too.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I did the same thing. I was wondering if anyone else felt that way. I was really interested to watch it too.

Me too.

The prevailing thoughts that I came away with from the show are as follows:

1. Blaine Gabbert is the truth. I think he's got a good head on his shoulders, a great arm, and is mobile to boot. Whoever ends up with him will have a quarterback who can be very successful in a pro-style system. Game doesn't seem too fast for him. I think Matt Ryan is a very reasonable comparison for him, and I wasn't high on him at all before watching the Gamechangers segment.

2. Christian Ponder has a good arm, good mobility, starting experience (three years, beating out a senior in the process), and seems to be pretty bright. His arm isn't as strong as Gabbert's, but his grasp of the game is pretty spot on for what you look for in a QB. I think he'll have a very good chance of being successful in a good, pro-style system.

3. Mooch is an egotistical moron who thinks he's still a coach, though nobody in their right mind would give him a coaching job. He's in love with himself, the sound of his voice, and the fact that he "made" HOF quarterbacks by working with Favre and Young.

Mediator12
04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
You really turned it off? Wow, I have turned off a few things in my life I started watching, but you thought Mooch was that bad? Huh.

I find those things infinitely valuable in their production. Mooch was coaching QB's like he used to and that is his style of Coaching. I found that show really intriguing as it exposed the superior prospects footwork and confirmed the fundamentals of Ponder who is really only suffering from his medical issues and not his talents or strengths. Gabbert has all the tools, but he is not as polished coming out to me. He is a guy who needs to sit a year to be the guy in the NFL IMHO.

I watched the DL last night and it also confirmed a few things for me. Aldon Smith is a much better prospect than my initial grade and he is a confident guy. He has a terrific ceiling if he can work out the kinks in his technique. Dareus is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has immense ability on the field. His technique and coachability were evident on the field with Sapp. Also, it was good to see him on the board with Mooch. I love how Mooch made fun of him for hamming it up at an Away game.

TheReverend
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
You really turned it off? Wow, I have turned off a few things in my life I started watching, but you thought Mooch was that bad? Huh.

I find those things infinitely valuable in their production. Mooch was coaching QB's like he used to and that is his style of Coaching. I found that show really intriguing as it exposed the superior prospects footwork and confirmed the fundamentals of Ponder who is really only suffering from his medical issues and not his talents or strengths. Gabbert has all the tools, but he is not as polished coming out to me. He is a guy who needs to sit a year to be the guy in the NFL IMHO.

I watched the DL last night and it also confirmed a few things for me. Aldon Smith is a much better prospect than my initial grade and he is a confident guy. He has a terrific ceiling if he can work out the kinks in his technique. Dareus is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he has immense ability on the field. His technique and coachability were evident on the field with Sapp. Also, it was good to see him on the board with Mooch. I love how Mooch made fun of him for hamming it up at an Away game.

1. I feel the same way about Aldon Smith, but didn't watch the show. I'll take your word for it though, I'm just not his biggest fan thanks to his tweener weight and poor final season in college. I think he would've benefited greatly from at LEAST a junior season.

2. Anyone want to run down Dareus more specifically than he's talented but stupid? We all know he's stupid :)

Mediator12
04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
1. I feel the same way about Aldon Smith, but didn't watch the show. I'll take your word for it though, I'm just not his biggest fan thanks to his tweener weight and poor final season in college. I think he would've benefited greatly from at LEAST a junior season.

2. Anyone want to run down Dareus more specifically than he's talented but stupid? We all know he's stupid :)

1. Aldon has a much bigger frame than his current weight and he has all kinds of athletic ability. He did not need the weight in college, but could easily put on 15 more lbs. His poor final season was a result of his leg injury that pretty much limited his greatest talent of explosiveness. I did not know he has a martial arts and boxing backround either and his hands are much better than I originally thought.

2. Dareus was very solid on the board with Mooch. He was able to remember plays and how he had scouted the players he was playing against. Then, he showed how to translate that scouting into a sack on gameday. In the workouts, He was shown a new technique by Sapp on the five steps to the QB drill he practiced. Dareus not only nailed the technique on the first try, but was explosive enough to have Sapp compliment him on the effort. Also, he showed his ability to be explosive instead of read stepping in a two gap in the drills with Marcus Cannon from TCU.

3. Dareus is not IQ smart, but he is real sharp in football Intelligence. He showed a passion for film study, and even better the ability to translate that to the game later.

TheReverend
04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
1. Aldon has a much bigger frame than his current weight and he has all kinds of athletic ability. He did not need the weight in college, but could easily put on 15 more lbs. His poor final season was a result of his leg injury that pretty much limited his greatest talent of explosiveness. I did not know he has a martial arts and boxing backround either and his hands are much better than I originally thought.

2. Dareus was very solid on the board with Mooch. He was able to remember plays and how he had scouted the players he was playing against. Then, he showed how to translate that scouting into a sack on gameday. In the workouts, He was shown a new technique by Sapp on the five steps to the QB drill he practiced. Dareus not only nailed the technique on the first try, but was explosive enough to have Sapp compliment him on the effort. Also, he showed his ability to be explosive instead of read stepping in a two gap in the drills with Marcus Cannon from TCU.

3. Dareus is not IQ smart, but he is real sharp in football Intelligence. He showed a passion for film study, and even better the ability to translate that to the game later.

1. I wasn't even aware Aldon had a leg injury!

Also, since you bring up frame... I don't like how chubby Dareus looks at 320. He looks like Jenkins does at 360! Then again, frame was what made me think McCoy would be better than Suh and now Suh's immediately the best DT in the NFL Ha!

2. Good to hear. I've been very concerned with his explosion and if he can do it from a 2 gap he should be fine in a 1 if they want him to hold Elvis' hand.

3. More good news.

Mediator12
04-06-2011, 01:29 PM
1. I wasn't even aware Aldon had a leg injury!

Also, since you bring up frame... I don't like how chubby Dareus looks at 320. He looks like Jenkins does at 360! Then again, frame was what made me think McCoy would be better than Suh and now Suh's immediately the best DT in the NFL Ha!

2. Good to hear. I've been very concerned with his explosion and if he can do it from a 2 gap he should be fine in a 1 if they want him to hold Elvis' hand.

3. More good news.

Aldon Smith BROKE his fibula, and played 3 weeks later. Most guys need 6-8 Weeks to recover, and Smith picked off a screen pass in that game. Needless to say he got caught from behind, but dude was maybe 80% at the time and showed the ability to play through pain.

Dareus also played his whole season on a bad ankle. Look at the difference in his tape from the season to the bowl game. He absolutely mauled MSU inside OL and OT's when he was even more explosive.

Both guys looked like API had been a good experience. Also, both guys proved they know how to study tape and could go on the board and make it work. Those are the huge question marks to the casual draft analyst. No ability to put guys on the Board and see their real Football IQ.

Smith kind of rubbed me the wrong way at first in the interview process, until you just realized he is a jokester kind of leader. I think he is almost Cocky, but in a real good way as a player.

TheReverend
04-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Aldon Smith BROKE his fibula, and played 3 weeks later. Most guys need 6-8 Weeks to recover, and Smith picked off a screen pass in that game. Needless to say he got caught from behind, but dude was maybe 80% at the time and showed the ability to play through pain.

Dareus also played his whole season on a bad ankle. Look at the difference in his tape from the season to the bowl game. He absolutely mauled MSU inside OL and OT's when he was even more explosive.

Both guys looked like API had been a good experience. Also, both guys proved they know how to study tape and could go on the board and make it work. Those are the huge question marks to the casual draft analyst. No ability to put guys on the Board and see their real Football IQ.

Smith kind of rubbed me the wrong way at first in the interview process, until you just realized he is a jokester kind of leader. I think he is almost Cocky, but in a real good way as a player.

I have a question for you in the draft discussion thread but trying to keep it off the main board.