PDA

View Full Version : Broncos may have no choice but to go with Tebow

bronclvr
04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Like, Duh-

With fans smitten by quarterback Tim Tebow, will the team be able to give the ball to anyone else when the 2011 season begins?

And will the team resist that for which the fans will be clamoring?

“Everybody knows [V.P. of football operations John] Elway ranks as the greatest sports superhero ever to don a cape in a local locker room, but right now the Broncos executive seems to be straining awfully hard not to get bullied by the public’s insatiable appetite for all things Tebow,” Kiszla writes. “Interviewing every quarterback with a pulse as part of draft preparation seems like a hollow exercise in showing who’s the boss.”

Though Kiszla seems to ping-pong regarding the question of whether Tebow deserves the job, Kiszla believes that the fact so many fans want Tebow to have the job could be a problem — regardless of how it all turns out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/03/broncos-may-have-no-choice-but-to-go-with-tebow/#comments

Hope this isn't a Repost-

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
it's kizla... just ignore the article...he's such a hack.

BroncoInferno
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
It really wouldn't be fair to draft a QB high at this point. It's hard enough to develop into a quality NFL QB, but the guy would instantly be the most unpopular guy in town. Elway has to give Tebow at least the next season to sink or swin. If he sucks, fans will be open to take a guy early in the draft next season.

CEH
04-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Fox has stated they'd like 4 starters out of the first 4 picks.
If they select a QB then I gotta believe they think he can beat out Timmy

Broncoman13
04-04-2011, 08:41 AM
it's kizla... just ignore the article...he's such a hack.

The problem is he is one of several that are reporting this... this is more than just smoke.

baja
04-04-2011, 08:53 AM
It really wouldn't be fair to draft a QB high at this point. It's hard enough to develop into a quality NFL QB, but the guy would instantly be the most unpopular guy in town. Elway has to give Tebow at least the next season to sink or swin. If he sucks, fans will be open to take a guy early in the draft next season.

This!

As usual Inferno sees the bigger picture and the greater force at work concerning the issue. Only way we draft a QB is if we trade Orton and Tebow starts for sure in that scenario.

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 08:54 AM
Fox has stated they'd like 4 starters out of the first 4 picks.
If they select a QB then I gotta believe they think he can beat out Timmy

Aside from Gabbart, is there one QB in the draft better than Orton? I seriously doubt it. Unless the Broncos trade Orton, he's the starting QB and if Fox thinks Kapernick is better than Orton, then I'm calling BS.

strafen
04-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Tebow needs to be given a chance to win the job or lose it by his own performance or lack-thereof.

I believe he will be fine once he gets the chance to play.
This BS has been following Tebow for a while now.
He didn't do anything in the games he played last year that may indicate the critics were right.

Tebow is going to be a winner in this league. We need defense not another freakin' QB.
Let's give Tebow his chance, unless no matter what, Elway will be getting Luck next year and don't want Tebow to be our QB regardless of his performance, I don't know, it just doesn't make sense...

Tebow may not be Elway's type of QB, but that doesn't mean Tebow can't play.
That has not been proven yet...

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 08:56 AM
Last time I checked, Orton is the starting QB for the Broncos. Until Orton is traded, this "drafting a QB" talk reflects more on Orton's ability than Tebows.

baja
04-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Last time I checked, Orton is the starting QB for the Broncos. Until Orton is traded, this "drafting a QB" talk reflects more on Orton's ability than Tebows.

Not really because a rookie will not be ready to start.

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Not really because a rookie will not be ready to start.

exactly

BroncoInferno
04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
This!

As usual Inferno sees the bigger picture and the greater force at work concerning the issue. Only way we draft a QB is if we trade Orton and Tebow starts for sure in that scenario.

I hope that's the way Elway sees it, but I'm worried. With all his rhetoric about transparency, I'm not sold that all this interest in QBs is a Shannyesque smoke-screen. I will lose a lot of confidence in John if he picks a QB in the top 2 rounds. Unless the guy drafted previously is a clear lost cause, it is simply unjustifiable to sink the costs of two high picks into a QB in back-to-back years. While I'm not 100% sold on Tebow, he certainly showed enough promise to give him a longer look before sinking further high costs into the position.

gyldenlove
04-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Where Shanahan and Mcdaniels went wrong was focusing all their attention on the offense and thinking they could fix the defense later, that approach led to both getting axed and no playoff appearances in the last 5 seasons.

We have to break the cycle, focus on the defense, fix the fundamentals first and then build on skill.

fdf
04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Like, Duh-

With fans smitten by quarterback Tim Tebow, will the team be able to give the ball to anyone else when the 2011 season begins?

And will the team resist that for which the fans will be clamoring?

“Everybody knows [V.P. of football operations John] Elway ranks as the greatest sports superhero ever to don a cape in a local locker room, but right now the Broncos executive seems to be straining awfully hard not to get bullied by the public’s insatiable appetite for all things Tebow,” Kiszla writes. “Interviewing every quarterback with a pulse as part of draft preparation seems like a hollow exercise in showing who’s the boss.”

Though Kiszla seems to ping-pong regarding the question of whether Tebow deserves the job, Kiszla believes that the fact so many fans want Tebow to have the job could be a problem — regardless of how it all turns out.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/03/broncos-may-have-no-choice-but-to-go-with-tebow/#comments

Hope this isn't a Repost-

The interviews also may be designed to worry teams that we just might select a QB. The more teams worried we might select their guy, the better chance we have of trading down.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Eh, who really knows what's going on with the BBT. They have plenty of time and budget to go wherever they damn well please, scout whomever they please. Xanders and Fox don't have a damn thing to do but scout talent, Elway has a steakhouse to run, nobody is scouting FA talent, because there is no FA. There is no minicamps.

The BBT is probably trying to fill their time, they don't have jack**** to do right now, except jet around and fill in their expense reports.

They have the #2 pick so they can diddle around however much they want and will still have the #2 pick. And two 2nd-rounders.

bronco militia
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM
it's not that bad of an article:

mark kiszla
Kiszla: Tebow on a streak as salesman, not QB
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 04/03/2011 03:49:27 PM MDT

As Tim Tebow, naked to the waist, parades across our TV screens in a new underwear commercial, he gives a more compelling portrayal as a sexy salesman than an NFL quarterback on the rise.

The Broncos' 23-year-old virgin can do no wrong.

But is he the best quarterback for the job in Denver?

Even if you, me and John Elway think the answer is no, can the Broncos keep Tebow out of the lineup?

In sports, where we cling to the naive belief that the best man should win, the competition for Denver's starting quarterback has turned into a political game, with everybody from the Broncos' website to Jockey advertising executives backing Tebow in a marketing campaign.

Sorry, Kyle Orton. The 20 touchdown passes you tossed last season don't count for much. In the hearts of Broncomaniacs, you're losing to Tebow by a landslide.

Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with a deeply religious, chaste NFL quarterback flashing a little skin on TV. If you've got the pecs, flaunt 'em,

Of course, I never understood why the United States Golf Association threw a puritanical fit a few years ago, when Natalie Gulbis released a calendar featuring her wearing a bikini and a smile.

But we all know there is a rigid double standard regarding sex in America. Tebow can exploit his hunkiness for fun and profit, then casually deflect any criticism by suggesting everybody wears underwear. When Gulbis gains fame and fortune from her cleavage, however, we're supposed to believe she demeans the game of golf and women in general?

Whatever Tebow is selling, Broncomaniacs want two for themselves, three for their kids and a spare in the garage.

Shop the team's official website for a predominantly orange jersey, and it's the No. 15 of Tebow rather than the No. 24 of cornerback Champ Bailey and his 10 Pro Bowl appearances that the Broncos display in the front window. The never-before-told story of Tebow's life will soon be available in bookstores everywhere, because he couldn't wait until his 24th birthday to release a memoir. While the league will shut down for business after the draft to hammer out labor peace, the Tebow money machine never sleeps.

Would it be sacrilege to ask: Isn't this a little bit too much fuss for a quarterback with one NFL victory on his resume?

Tebow is so earnest he's easy to tease. But he's also impossible not to like. Florida did not adequately prepare him for the pros. His 11 touchdowns as an NFL rookie, however, were ample reason to believe he is a project worth developing.

A Denver franchise that has lost its credibility as a Super Bowl contender, however, would be ill-advised to turn its quarterback competition into a beauty contest.

When new Broncos coach John Fox insists Orton will get the first shot to lead this team, more than 8 million eyes roll like marbles throughout Colorado.

Everybody knows Elway ranks as the greatest sports superhero ever to don a cape in a local locker room, but right now the Broncos executive seems to be straining awfully hard not to get bullied by the public's insatiable appetite for all things Tebow. Interviewing every quarterback with a pulse as part of draft preparation seems like a hollow exercise in showing who's the boss.

So this is the key football and business question for the Broncos in 2011: Is the team more interested in winning games or pushing a Tebow product?

Maybe the groundswell of support for Tebow is the direct result of a 4-12 football team whose fans are grasping for any reason to believe.

But tell me this isn't true:Tebowmania is threatening to grow bigger than Broncomania.

Whether you like Tebow or not, that's a problem.

Read more: Kiszla: Tebow on a streak as salesman, not QB - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17761622#ixzz1IZjp5sS1
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

bronco militia
04-04-2011, 10:14 AM
But tell me this isn't true:Tebowmania is threatening to grow bigger than Broncomania.

IMO, the Elway Effect eclipsed broncomania years ago.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 10:16 AM
I hope that's the way Elway sees it, but I'm worried. With all his rhetoric about transparency, I'm not sold that all this interest in QBs is a Shannyesque smoke-screen. I will lose a lot of confidence in John if he picks a QB in the top 2 rounds. Unless the guy drafted previously is a clear lost cause, it is simply unjustifiable to sink the costs of two high picks into a QB in back-to-back years. While I'm not 100% sold on Tebow, he certainly showed enough promise to give him a longer look before sinking further high costs into the position.

agreed. the way i am looking at it is like this. drafting a QB right now is a waste of a pick and really destroys the confidence of that rookie QB before he even sets foot on the playing field because he becomes the most hated player in Denver for replacing the Golden Boy. Short of the rookie coming in and leading Denver on a season like Rothlesbergers rookie year(granted he played game manager but they won) they will be looking for a replacement within 3 years.

Tebow while he isn't polished showed there is something there in his first 3 starts. he earned the shot for at least 1 season to show he can do something.

now with Tebow starting things are going to be boom or bust. i don't think there is a middle ground with the guy. he will either completely fall on his face and prove his doubters correct or he is going to become a superstar QB.

with that in mind, if he fails , that means the team has had yet another horrible season and we are in position to potentially get Andrew Luck in the draft next year. with that in mind, why waste a pick on a QB in this very weak and questionable class?

or

Tebow is a success and proves all his doubters wrong and we have our QBOTF

that is the only plausible scenario that i think can work for this team. either way Tebow needs to start. if he sucks, then you have that argument for the Tebow maniacs as to why you are getting a replacement for him, and if he is good you have your team's QB.

Beantown Bronco
04-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Xanders......don't have a damn thing to do but scout talent

Those pizzas aren't gonna order themselves.

gunns
04-04-2011, 10:20 AM
I have two reasons for not wanting a QB this year. We have a much bigger need on defense which would leave us a QB in probably the 6th round and there isn't a QB worth taking this year. Tebow has not cemented himself in my heart or beliefs that he will make the turn around necessary to be the future but I do love his attitude and work ethic so am willing to give him a chance.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 10:22 AM

that is the most retarded statement. Elwaymaniia was bigger than Broncomania. Manningmania in Indy is bigger than Coltsmania, Bradymanis is bigger than Patriotsmania in New England.

it isn't a bad thing when the star of the franchise popularity eclipses the organizations popularity. so long as Tebow can show improvement in his game and show that he can get the job done, then the faith and love of the guy is perfectly fine.

the fact that it is premature is a little strange, but it isn't a bad thing.

same thing happened with Cutler here, we got a guy with the big arm and all the physical tools you'd ever want in a QB and Cutlermania ran rampant.

this is a QB town and when there is an exciting player at the position it is going to cause some hysteria.

bendog
04-04-2011, 10:40 AM
Elway and Fox aren't stupid. They know last year was the worst broncos season since 1967. 1982 might have been equally disappointing, but the team had Elway and there was upside. Kizla's just doing is usual spinning. If Den doesn't at least sniff .500 next year, it's going to be unpleasant to put it mildly. Fans have to get a sense that Bowlen's getting back to putting a product worth buying on the field. Elway and Fox have said more than once that the job's open, and the best qb will play. No duh. They'll play the guy who gives them the best chance to win.

By week 12 of 2010 players were going through the motions. Without Tebow they may well have lost out. Tebow injected a bit of fire. But whenever play resumes, it's not going to be with a team that's become dispirited with a coach who was woefully incompetent, arrogant and made the franchise a league joke. I don't like Orton as a qb and never have, but give him a running game and a defense that can at least slow down an opponents running game, and he's middle of the pack. If Tebow can't beat that out, he's a bust and maybe he can play fullback.

teknic
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I have two reasons for not wanting a QB this year. We have a much bigger need on defense which would leave us a QB in probably the 6th round and there isn't a QB worth taking this year. Tebow has not cemented himself in my heart or beliefs that he will make the turn around necessary to be the future but I do love his attitude and work ethic so am willing to give him a chance.

How about Mitch Mustain? He was the highest ranked quarterback prospect in the country when he came out of high school, and he looked good in Arkansas before he was lost to USC's quarterback depth.

Dedhed
04-04-2011, 10:51 AM
This is an epically poor QB class. It would be absurd to take spend any pick on a QB.

Give Tebow the ball. If he bombs and we go 2-14, we get Luck next year.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 11:09 AM
This is an epically poor QB class. It would be absurd to take spend any pick on a QB.

along with a reason why he is being replaced that will shut up the mob of Tebow enthusiasts

bendog
04-04-2011, 11:23 AM
If Fox could go 2-14 with Matt Moore and Jimmy Clausen, Den's gonna do better than that in 2011 ... if there's a season.

baja
04-04-2011, 11:23 AM

If the Broncos take a QB in the first 2 rounds this draft I will take a year off from football and maybe longer. I'm pretty oh hum about it now anyway.

baja
04-04-2011, 11:24 AM
The interviews also may be designed to worry teams that we just might select a QB. The more teams worried we might select their guy, the better chance we have of trading down.

This is the only reason I can think we are looking at QB's in this draft.

razorwire77
04-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Rep. There is only one thing that will cause me a draft meltdown and that's if we draft a QB with 1st, 2A, or 2B.

Give Tebow a year to show what he can do. If he sucks, I gurantee you we will not win 5 games next year and we can draft Luck, or whatever top 5 QB is availible in 2012.

DarkHorse30
04-04-2011, 11:51 AM

Agreed

The thing I like best about Tebow is that he wants to win more than anything....anything. That sort of teammate is the kind to go to battle with, and you could see that in the final 3 weeks.

Denver's biggest problem is defense. All the QB posturing by Elway is likely about getting draft picks. If it isn't, and he wastes a pick on a QB, he is the DUMBEST Veep ever.....except for Biden.

bendog
04-04-2011, 11:54 AM
The best athlete has personality/leadership issues all over the place

The best passer has off the field issues that no one will discuss, though drug rumors persist and he had alcohol issues in Mich.

I think it's a smokescreen. It's possible Elway does like one guy, and if he falls into another 2 for orton, there'd be room on the roster. I am sure it's not Cam. I can't see why he'd like Locker. Mallett not only has the off the field baggage, but if you watched the SEC you saw him struggle with pressure, and he can move in the pocket, but doing so makes his release painfully slow.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
This was the point of the article? - "But tell me this isn't true:Tebowmania is threatening to grow bigger than Broncomania."

Please. Don't make me laugh.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't mind discussing Tebow, but "Tebowmania is threatening to grow bigger than Broncomania"? That's pure Kiszla shtick, meant to provoke discussion and readership for the Denver Post. Woody does the same thing.

bendog
04-04-2011, 12:51 PM
This was the point of the article? - "But tell me this isn't true:Tebowmania is threatening to grow bigger than Broncomania."

For Kizla to just make a logical point is a huge step. He basically said that while "some" fans are gaga for Tim, it's about winning. A kizla column that is aimed at anything beyond inciting hysteria is a cut above the usual. like Milita said "it wasn't that bad." Or as the man said of the cheap cigar, "I've had worse."

Crushaholic
04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
If the Broncos don't have any confidence in Orton or Tebow, they need to sign a free agent QB. Since we have to remake our interior D-line, that's the way to go. Leave the drafting to the defense...

TonyR
04-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Probably the most surprising revelation of last week involved the Denver Broncos.

John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, revealed why he and his staff are looking at quarterbacks. His interest, he said, is not a smoke screen. The Broncos are going to study the top seven quarterbacks in this draft.

Writes Kyle from Henderson, N.C.: "John Elway has proven himself to be a very savvy businessman, from car dealerships, to real estate, to refusing to play for the Colts. Is the quarterback recruiting the Broncos are making public a form of this? A smoke screen effect, perhaps? And what are the chances Tim Tebow will be the starter next year? I can't take another year of Kyle Orton."

The more I see of Elway running the team, the more I like. He comes in with a fresh approach and a nice style. At first, I didn't buy the idea the Broncos and Elway were looking for a quarterback. I still don't think they will take one with the No. 2 pick in the draft. What I like about Elway is that he recognizes he has some issues at quarterback. He's bold enough to think Tebow isn't the answer. That's smart. Although Orton is good, he's not great. I'm starting to think Elway might take a QB in the second round and call the Tebow selection a mistake. That interest creates tantalizing possibilities on draft day and thereafter. Thinking that Cam Newton can go No. 1 to Carolina, the Broncos could entice a team such as Tennessee to trade up to the No. 2 spot to get Blaine Gabbert. The Broncos could then take a quarterback in the second round and eventually trade Orton for a second-round pick in 2012.

At least Elway didn't take this job to keep the franchise at status quo. That's a good sign.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514

ghwk
04-04-2011, 01:07 PM

McDaniels has stuck it to us again. How do I work Hillis into this?

TonyR
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
“Well the bottom line is at that position, everybody realizes how important that position is. And anytime you have the draft position we have -- second in the draft -- you have to look at everybody. And we’re looking at every position, not only the quarterback position, but that seems to get the most attention because of what we have here. But obviously if there’s a guy there that’s a franchise guy there, we definitely have to look at it because we’re not sure we have a franchise guy on our team right now. So obviously we’ve got to visit that, look at it, and do our due diligence on it and then we’ll make our decision from there. But no, it’s not a smokescreen. We realize -- and I realize -- how important that position is, and if there’s a franchise guy there that we know is a franchise guy, we’d have to look at it.” - John Elway.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/25930/hitting-the-airwaves-with-john-elway

Kaylore
04-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I feel like with the lack of practice time from the likely lockout that we're looking at having no choice but to go with Orton. I have trouble believing we're going to hand the car over to Tebow without OTA's or training camp to let Tebow at least earn the starting position.

This of course means that it would be similarly unlikely for us to draft someone and have that person start.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
For Kizla to just make a logical point is a huge step. He basically said that while "some" fans are gaga for Tim, it's about winning. A kizla column that is aimed at anything beyond inciting hysteria is a cut above the usual. like Milita said "it wasn't that bad." Or as the man said of the cheap cigar, "I've had worse."

Sure, Kiszla tempts discussion, he's been around a long time.

I'll even jump in on the Tebow discussion - I like him. Tebow has the knack. He can move around in the pocket all different ways, has only fumbled one time. He can throw on the run to his left or right, keeps his eyes downfield when he's scrambling. Looks deep all the time, looks to get max yardage out of his throws. Good awareness on the field. Doesn't panic in the pocket and make bad hurried throws because he can move around to find something better and keep the play alive, or throw the ball away. Has good velocity and trajectory on all throws, has shown excellent touch, velocity, trajectory, and timing on deep throws.

PRBronco
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
How the hell did this story make it to press without the headline: "Broncos Saddled With Tebow?"?

No wonder print media is dying.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Probably the most surprising revelation of last week involved the Denver Broncos.

John Elway, the Broncos' executive vice president of football operations, revealed why he and his staff are looking at quarterbacks. His interest, he said, is not a smoke screen. The Broncos are going to study the top seven quarterbacks in this draft.

Writes Kyle from Henderson, N.C.: "John Elway has proven himself to be a very savvy businessman, from car dealerships, to real estate, to refusing to play for the Colts. Is the quarterback recruiting the Broncos are making public a form of this? A smoke screen effect, perhaps? And what are the chances Tim Tebow will be the starter next year? I can't take another year of Kyle Orton."

The more I see of Elway running the team, the more I like. He comes in with a fresh approach and a nice style. At first, I didn't buy the idea the Broncos and Elway were looking for a quarterback. I still don't think they will take one with the No. 2 pick in the draft. What I like about Elway is that he recognizes he has some issues at quarterback. He's bold enough to think Tebow isn't the answer. That's smart. Although Orton is good, he's not great. I'm starting to think Elway might take a QB in the second round and call the Tebow selection a mistake. That interest creates tantalizing possibilities on draft day and thereafter. Thinking that Cam Newton can go No. 1 to Carolina, the Broncos could entice a team such as Tennessee to trade up to the No. 2 spot to get Blaine Gabbert. The Broncos could then take a quarterback in the second round and eventually trade Orton for a second-round pick in 2012.

At least Elway didn't take this job to keep the franchise at status quo. That's a good sign.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6286514

That's the thing I don't like, taking a QB in the second round.

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 01:22 PM
I feel like with the lack of practice time from the likely lockout that we're looking at having no choice but to go with Orton. I have trouble believing we're going to hand the car over to Tebow without OTA's or training camp to let Tebow at least earn the starting position.

This of course means that it would be similarly unlikely for us to draft someone and have that person start.

I agree. Unless Orton is traded, he will be the starting QB in Fox's system. That being said, it's highly probable that Orton will get an injury that will open up the starting spot for Tebow. Even if Orton has a great year, there's a good chance he will miss playing time to injury. Tebow will see the field one way or another. Tebow will either win the position in training camp, or if that doesn't happen and Orton starts, Tebow will see some playing time due to injury. And, there's a 3rd possibility: Orton starts playing lousy, and Fox decides to bench him in favor of Tebow.

Eh, I'm not worried too much about the Broncos QB position. I'm excited about Tebow, and I'm happy with the depth if Orton remains on the roster. The Broncos need to fix the defense and the running game. Those should be the first year priorities of Fox, Elway and Xanders.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
my main worry with the possibility of Elway wanting a QB from this draft is that, this class sucks. if he sees a guy in this class he truly thinks will be a star or is worth picking that early then this team has bigger concerns regarding his talent evaluating abilities more than it does with deciding if Tebow is the answer

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I agree. Unless Orton is traded, he will be the starting QB in Fox's system. That being said, it's highly probable that Orton will get an injury that will open up the starting spot for Tebow. Even if Orton has a great year, there's a good chance he will miss playing time to injury. Tebow will see the field one way or another. Tebow will either win the position in training camp, or if that doesn't happen and Orton starts, Tebow will see some playing time due to injury. And, there's a 3rd possibility: Orton starts playing lousy, and Fox decides to bench him in favor of Tebow.

Eh, I'm not worried too much about the Broncos QB position. I'm excited about Tebow, and I'm happy with the depth if Orton remains on the roster. The Broncos need to fix the defense and the running game. Those should be the first year priorities of Fox, Elway and Xanders.

That would be dynamite. QB's seem to get a lot better as a result.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 01:56 PM
my main worry with the possibility of Elway wanting a QB from this draft is that, this class sucks. if he sees a guy in this class he truly thinks will be a star or is worth picking that early then this team has bigger concerns regarding his talent evaluating abilities more than it does with deciding if Tebow is the answer

That's a good point.

I can see the BBT traveling around and evaluating since they have nothing better to do, but to actually think a QB is a priority in this draft would make me wonder (as many have said) if they're all that smart.

FireFly
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
If they don't want to lose the fans, they have to start Tebow for a year. If he gets pulled after that, the fans will understand. If they never put him in, many will give up with a franchise in disarray.

Ugly Duck
04-04-2011, 02:37 PM

Thats the spirit! If you totally tank again - you get another high draft pick! When the author wrote, "Maybe the groundswell of support for Tebow is the direct result of a 4-12 football team whose fans are grasping for any reason to believe" he weren't just whistlin dixie. You were only one (1) draft position away from the #1 pick this time, next season - shoot for the stars!

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Thats the spirit! If you totally tank again - you get another high draft pick! When the author wrote, "Maybe the groundswell of support for Tebow is the direct result of a 4-12 football team whose fans are grasping for any reason to believe" he weren't just whistlin dixie. You were only one (1) draft position away from the #1 pick this time, next season - shoot for the stars!

No thanks, that's the faider MO...

Ugly Duck
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
No thanks, that's the faider MO...

Been there, done that. Now its your turn....

Taco John
04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm not a fan of Kiszla, but I think he's spot on with this point. Who do they think they're kidding? The idea that Tebow is going to ride on pine behind Orton or anyone else they bring in, and fans are just going to sit back and be happy is amusing at best. Any quarterback controversy that happens at this point is purely manufactured. Ask Joe Broncofan, and he'll tell you that Tebow has won the starting job - that he's earned it.

But I don't think Tebowmania is ever going to take over Broncomania. It comes down to winning, and most people (but not all) believe that Tebow gives the Broncos the best shot at that.

Rigs11
04-04-2011, 03:22 PM
I'm not a fan of Kiszla, but I think he's spot on with this point. Who do they think they're kidding? The idea that Tebow is going to ride on pine behind Orton or anyone else they bring in, and fans are just going to sit back and be happy is amusing at best. Any quarterback controversy that happens at this point is purely manufactured. Ask Joe Broncofan, and he'll tell you that Tebow has won the starting job - that he's earned it.

But I don't think Tebowmania is ever going to take over Broncomania. It comes down to winning, and most people (but not all) believe that Tebow gives the Broncos the best shot at that.

john and fox aren't so sure.do you think they will do what is better for the fans or the team?

bronclvr
04-04-2011, 03:25 PM
john and fox aren't so sure.do you think they will do what is better for the fans or the team?

Follow the Money-

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM

well considering that the fans are dwindling(pathetic fair weather bastards) and because of that money may become a problem if it isn't already, this franchise can't really afford to further piss off the fans.

TailgateNut
04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Tebow needs to be given a chance to win the job or lose it by his own performance or lack-thereof.

He didn't do anything in the games he played last year that may indicate the critics were right.

Tebow is going to be a winner in this league. We need defense not another freakin' QB.
Let's give Tebow his chance, unless no matter what, Elway will be getting Luck next year and don't want Tebow to be our QB regardless of his performance, I don't know, it just doesn't make sense...

Tebow may not be Elway's type of QB, but that doesn't mean Tebow can't play.

Sounds like you might need a bib to keep from drooling on your blouse.

TailgateNut
04-04-2011, 03:52 PM

Only someone who didn't experience it would come up with that "gem".

Atwater His Ass
04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Elwaymanina became Broncomania eventually. The same thing will happen with Tebow.

The reason Tebowmanina seems separate is because of how down the Broncos are right now as an organization. He's literally the only thing to be excited about in this franchise right now. Most fans have been reeling since Shanahan was fired 2 years ago. That's a long time to be in despair.

Once the Broncos pick themselves back up, it will all meld into one again.

Taco John
04-04-2011, 04:11 PM

I don't see this as an either/or proposition.

listopencil
04-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I would only want a QB this year if it was a late round guy or a Free Agent, and only if it was for depth.

AZorange1
04-04-2011, 04:49 PM
It's gonna be really interesting to see what Elway does. If it has anything to do with a q-back, I really do see it as a muscle flex that could piss the fans off. He needs to really have his thinking cap on for this one. You got a fan base that's roughly 75% pro Tebow and 98% defensive picks.

TailgateNut
04-04-2011, 05:34 PM
It's gonna be really interesting to see what Elway does. If it has anything to do with a q-back, I really do see it as a muscle flex that could piss the fans off. He needs to really have his thinking cap on for this one. You got a fan base that's roughly 75% pro Tebow and 98% defensive picks.

I'll agree with the second guess, but this one is making me :rofl:

rugbythug
04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
I'll agree with the second guess, but this one is making me :rofl:

your right 80

Archer81
04-04-2011, 05:49 PM
Elwaymanina became Broncomania eventually. The same thing will happen with Tebow.

The reason Tebowmanina seems separate is because of how down the Broncos are right now as an organization. He's literally the only thing to be excited about in this franchise right now. Most fans have been reeling since Shanahan was fired 2 years ago. That's a long time to be in despair.
Once the Broncos pick themselves back up, it will all meld into one again.

Detroit disagrees.

:Broncos:

Hamrob
04-04-2011, 05:57 PM
This is all BS. Orton is a top 10-15 guy. Meaning, he is better than what half of the teams in the NFL have behind center.

Tebow is a stud who exudes talent and potential. Given the fact that you traded away 3 picks in order to secure him...you have to allow the investment to payoff. You have to give it some time.

Therefore..........there is......NO WAY........we draft a QB this year.

Now...If Elway is as good of a GM as he was a QB (legend)...then, he will trade the #2 pick to someone else in the top 10 for there top 10 slot plus their #1 next year. We still get one of Peterson, Dareius or Miller and we end up with two #1's next year.

Then, if Tebow shows promise this year...we're stacked next year. OR, if Tebow doesn't show promise...we are armed with 2 #1's to try and go get Luck!

epicSocialism4tw
04-04-2011, 06:00 PM
it's not that bad of an article:

mark kiszla
Kiszla: Tebow on a streak as salesman, not QB
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/03/2011 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 04/03/2011 03:49:27 PM MDT

As Tim Tebow, naked to the waist, parades across our TV screens in a new underwear commercial, he gives a more compelling portrayal as a sexy salesman than an NFL quarterback on the rise.

The Broncos' 23-year-old virgin can do no wrong.

But is he the best quarterback for the job in Denver?

Even if you, me and John Elway think the answer is no, can the Broncos keep Tebow out of the lineup?

In sports, where we cling to the naive belief that the best man should win, the competition for Denver's starting quarterback has turned into a political game, with everybody from the Broncos' website to Jockey advertising executives backing Tebow in a marketing campaign.

Sorry, Kyle Orton. The 20 touchdown passes you tossed last season don't count for much. In the hearts of Broncomaniacs, you're losing to Tebow by a landslide.

Now, there's nothing inherently wrong with a deeply religious, chaste NFL quarterback flashing a little skin on TV. If you've got the pecs, flaunt 'em,

Of course, I never understood why the United States Golf Association threw a puritanical fit a few years ago, when Natalie Gulbis released a calendar featuring her wearing a bikini and a smile.

But we all know there is a rigid double standard regarding sex in America. Tebow can exploit his hunkiness for fun and profit, then casually deflect any criticism by suggesting everybody wears underwear. When Gulbis gains fame and fortune from her cleavage, however, we're supposed to believe she demeans the game of golf and women in general?

Whatever Tebow is selling, Broncomaniacs want two for themselves, three for their kids and a spare in the garage.

Shop the team's official website for a predominantly orange jersey, and it's the No. 15 of Tebow rather than the No. 24 of cornerback Champ Bailey and his 10 Pro Bowl appearances that the Broncos display in the front window. The never-before-told story of Tebow's life will soon be available in bookstores everywhere, because he couldn't wait until his 24th birthday to release a memoir. While the league will shut down for business after the draft to hammer out labor peace, the Tebow money machine never sleeps.

Would it be sacrilege to ask: Isn't this a little bit too much fuss for a quarterback with one NFL victory on his resume?

Tebow is so earnest he's easy to tease. But he's also impossible not to like. Florida did not adequately prepare him for the pros. His 11 touchdowns as an NFL rookie, however, were ample reason to believe he is a project worth developing.

A Denver franchise that has lost its credibility as a Super Bowl contender, however, would be ill-advised to turn its quarterback competition into a beauty contest.

When new Broncos coach John Fox insists Orton will get the first shot to lead this team, more than 8 million eyes roll like marbles throughout Colorado.

Everybody knows Elway ranks as the greatest sports superhero ever to don a cape in a local locker room, but right now the Broncos executive seems to be straining awfully hard not to get bullied by the public's insatiable appetite for all things Tebow. Interviewing every quarterback with a pulse as part of draft preparation seems like a hollow exercise in showing who's the boss.

So this is the key football and business question for the Broncos in 2011: Is the team more interested in winning games or pushing a Tebow product?

Maybe the groundswell of support for Tebow is the direct result of a 4-12 football team whose fans are grasping for any reason to believe.

Read more: Kiszla: Tebow on a streak as salesman, not QB - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_17761622#ixzz1IZjp5sS1
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

I guess Kiszla is a bit of a snot.

I assume that he forgot that Orton was a miserable failure as a leader last season as the Broncos plummeted in confidence, effort, and results. He was just there. He left no impact on the games. He was like lawn furniture. That's okay if you are the 2000 Ravens, but this team had the worst defense in the league. You can get away with rarely converting TD's in the red zone with an elite defense. You cant when your offense is supposed to lead the team.

Tebow came in and immediately changed the feel of the team. It became a team that found some effort and competed for wins. Tebow's comeback against Houston was classic, and he helped the Broncos be competitive in every game.

After seeing both products on the field, a Broncos fan would have to be brain damaged to want Orton back there.

epicSocialism4tw
04-04-2011, 06:01 PM

I'd say its more like 95% pro-Tebow and 99% pro-defense.

epicSocialism4tw
04-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Honestly, I think that Elway is just flexing his muscle here. He wants people around the league to know that he's his own man in the front office, and presenting an all-fronts kind of approach (looking at every player who is considered for the #2 pick) is meant to keep everyone guessing as well as to be familiar enough with players like Newton and Gabbert to know what their relative worth is.

I also think that he's just learning on the job too. He's making the scouting trips as a learning opportunity.

The media has really dropped the ball on this one. If they truly believe that Elway is going to draft a QB, they should see if they can get Tebow and Orton on the phone to give statements about that possibility. You ask them what they think of the upcoming draft, ask them what they think about the QB's, and then you ask them what they would think if the Broncos drafted a QB (Kiszla, at least give me credit when you steal my idea).

The fact that nobody really has talked to the Broncos QB's about it shows me that nobody really takes the idea seriously enough to follow through on a story there. If thats the case, then Elway is running the risk of alienating both Tebow and/or Orton...unless John has already debriefed them on what he's up to. Hopefully he's a saavy enough communicator to be able to pull something like that off.

TonyR
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
well considering that the fans are dwindling(pathetic fair weather bastards) and because of that money may become a problem if it isn't already, this franchise can't really afford to further piss off the fans.

The team gets its TV revenue no matter what the fans think. And if fans give up their season tickets there's a line of people waiting to buy them. They "care" what the fans think but not to the extent they're going to let the fans make their decisions for them. They know if they build a good football team, which should be their number one priority and the main driver of their decisions, the fans will be there with or without Tim Tebow.

AZorange1
04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
This is all BS. Orton is a top 10-15 guy. Meaning, he is better than what half of the teams in the NFL have behind center.

Tebow is a stud who exudes talent and potential. Given the fact that you traded away 3 picks in order to secure him...you have to allow the investment to payoff. You have to give it some time.

Therefore..........there is......NO WAY........we draft a QB this year.

Now...If Elway is as good of a GM as he was a QB (legend)...then, he will trade the #2 pick to someone else in the top 10 for there top 10 slot plus their #1 next year. We still get one of Peterson, Dareius or Miller and we end up with two #1's next year.

Then, if Tebow shows promise this year...we're stacked next year. OR, if Tebow doesn't show promise...we are armed with 2 #1's to try and go get Luck!

Agree with everything except Orton. Watching him is like watching my lazy-ass, beer swilling nephew watch NASCAR. About that exciting

rugbythug
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
The only way tebowmania is bigger than broncomania is if he wins like he did in florida. Im down for that.

MacGruder
04-04-2011, 08:35 PM
I just hope Elway and Fox understand how important leadership is. Sports is full of great talents but completely lacking in leaders. From things Fox has says after having to sit through watching Clausen for a full season I think he gets that.. I hope so!

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
The team gets its TV revenue no matter what the fans think. And if fans give up their season tickets there's a line of people waiting to buy them. They "care" what the fans think but not to the extent they're going to let the fans make their decisions for them. They know if they build a good football team, which should be their number one priority and the main driver of their decisions, the fans will be there with or without Tim Tebow.

true, however, game seats aren't the only revenue stream the team has. look into merchandise and collectables. like it or not, right now Tebow is a money printing machine. by trading him or burying him on the depth chart money from sales of Tebow merch dwindles.

Bronco Yoda
04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
No way in hell we draft a QB high. This is all just BS.

TailgateNut
04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
your right 80

My right 80?:rofl:

OABB
04-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Anyone who doesn't support tebow at this point is a moron.

Tebow has played in three games and the team scored more points than it did with orton.

He was a rookie.... Scored more than our starter.... Big comeback win.....

I mean, He may not ever pan out, and he may suck, but at this point if you aren't excited by his play than you are a moron.

I mean, there really is no other way to look at it.

BroncoInferno
04-05-2011, 05:51 AM

I agree. As I've said, I'm not 100% sold on Tebow, but he certainly showed even a skeptic like me enough to get excited. If John drafts a QB in the first two rounds, it's going to be a giant mistake. Whoever the young kid drafted is will instantly be cast in the role of a villain. It's hard enough to develop into a top NFL QB without having to deal with that. Elway couldn't keep Tebow on the team, that's for sure. And, most importantly, none of the QBs available this seaon are sure-fire, franchise caliber QBs, which would be the only justification for sinking a high pick into a QB two seasons in a row. If we had the #1 overall pick and Luck were available, fine. I could go along with it. But for Blaine Gabbert or Jake Locker? No sir, Mr. Elway. No sir :nono:

bendog
04-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Assuming they plan to trade Orton, Wouldn't we all hope they draft someone? And a "villain"? It's not a comic strip .... wait can there be quarterback named Judas! Wait, even better, we could bring in Judas Priest Losman.

BroncoInferno
04-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Assuming they plan to trade Orton, Wouldn't we all hope they draft someone?

In the mid-to-late rounds, sure. In the 1st or 2nd? That kind of investment is simply unjustifiable one season after investing a 1st rounder in a QB who played and showed a lot of promise.

And a "villain"? It's not a comic strip .... wait can there be quarterback named Judas! Wait, even better, we could bring in Judas Priest Losman.

Well, whatever you want to call a guy who gets savaged for every little mistake by a fanbase who largely does not want him. That's exactly what will happen to any QB we draft early this season. The perception of the fan base, right or wrong, is that Tebow is the man. Drafting his replacement before we even know conclusively whether he's the man or not wouldn't be a good situation for anyone.

bendog
04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Just because a team drafts a qb doesn't mean it's necessarily a replacement. Causual fans may think that anyone drafted is coming in to compete to start, but the reality is that if, if, Den took a guy like Kaepernik it's a developmental pick because the guy is not coming from a prostyel offense. Den took Jarious Jackson and Matt Mauck. Mauck could have hung around like Rosenfals has and been a career backup, but he wanted to get on with life if he wasn't playing. Even Griese was taken when Shanahan assumed Brister was studying the play book in the offseason rather than drinking beer at his hunting camp.

A guy like Kapernik has all the physical tools, the size arm speed, etc to play in the NFL. IF tebow is Tebust, he's there. If tebow is great, he gets traded like Schaub. IF IF the plan is to trade Orton, the team has to bring someone in.

BroncoInferno
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Just because a team drafts a qb doesn't mean it's necessarily a replacement. Causual fans may think that anyone drafted is coming in to compete to start, but the reality is that if, if, Den took a guy like Kaepernik it's a developmental pick because the guy is not coming from a prostyel offense. Den took Jarious Jackson and Matt Mauck. Mauck could have hung around like Rosenfals has and been a career backup, but he wanted to get on with life if he wasn't playing. Even Griese was taken when Shanahan assumed Brister was studying the play book in the offseason rather than drinking beer at his hunting camp.

A guy like Kapernik has all the physical tools, the size arm speed, etc to play in the NFL. IF tebow is Tebust, he's there. If tebow is great, he gets traded like Schaub. IF IF the plan is to trade Orton, the team has to bring someone in.

Jarious Jackson and Matt Mauk were 7th round draft picks. Those are truly developmental guys. If you draft a guy in the 1st or 2nd round, the level of investment and expectation is that of a starter. Period.

KO5K
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM

I don't know whether you watched last season or not, but Denver aren't exactly in a position to be taking offensive 'development' players in the early rounds.

bendog
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
No, not necessarily, IF it's essentially trading Orton for the guy. But, I'm done. you think in cartoon strips.

BroncoInferno
04-05-2011, 12:23 PM
No, not necessarily, IF it's essentially trading Orton for the guy. But, I'm done. you think in cartoon strips.

We can't trade players until the new CBA is in place. So, assuming we could get a 2nd for Orton is presumptuous at best. And, even if we could, that doesn't amount to an even swap....Orton for a developmental guy. No GM worth his salt is taking a developmental QB in the 1st or 2nd round when his team just took one in the 1st round the previous draft. It would be stupid given all the other needs we have. Even if you aren't sold on Tebow (and I'm not, FWIW), QB is the near the bottom of our list of concerns.

oubronco
04-05-2011, 12:29 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT12uAkBOcf1raSqVQfs9-WnHU742yDTx7tDiFGCaqkzKzqj1Uh

oubronco
04-05-2011, 12:31 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_65F0H8v23DU/THWPRnLEomI/AAAAAAAAAnY/blj9NoZAGpM/S240/d-fence.gif

Bob's your Information Minister
04-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Wouldn't it be a hoot if a guy on a 4-12 team led the league in jersey sales?

bronco militia
04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Wouldn't it be a hoot if a guy on a 4-12 team led the league in jersey sales?

I don't think tebow is #1 anymore....the regular season, playoffs and superbowl knocked him out of the #1 spot.

bronco militia
04-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Broncos' Tim Tebow Finishes Third In NFL Jersey Sales
by Russ Oates • Jan 7, 2011 11:04 AM MST

For most of the NFL season, Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow had the highest-selling jersey in the league. But when all was said, done and calculated, Tebow finished with the third highest-selling jersey in 2010. CNBC's Darren Rovell reports that Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu finished the season at No. 1, the first time since 2006 (Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher

http://denver.sbnation.com/denver-broncos/2011/1/7/1921143/tim-tebow-nfl-jersey-sales-third-denver-broncos

04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm talking about next year.

I bet he's through the roof.

Hell, the guy had a **** rookie year and was in the running for the Madden cover.

bendog
04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
It's like a miracle.

TheReverend
04-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Hell, the guy had a **** rookie year and was in the running for the Madden cover.

You're just mad his first ever NFL passing TD was easily completed against KC and he scored again effortlessly on the ground.

04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
You're just mad his first ever NFL passing TD was easily completed against KC and he scored again effortlessly on the ground.

Tebow is in for a lot of pain at the hands of the Kansas City Chiefs. Can't wait.

Beantown Bronco
04-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Tebow is in for a lot of pain at the hands of the Kansas City Chiefs. Can't wait.

The pain of not being able to play them every week, no doubt.

BroncoMan4ever
04-05-2011, 01:25 PM

wow long time no see Bob.

but just curious did you actually watch Tebow play? in his 1st 3 starts his numbers were better than the 1st 3 starts of Bradford who was the Offensive Rookie of the Year. add in that Tebow was playing with a neutered playbook, an interim head coach, and quite a few players that were phoning it in the last few weeks of the season.

i'm not saying the guy was an MVP, but he showed flashes of major potential.

gunns
04-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Tebow needs to be given a chance to win the job or lose it by his own performance or lack-thereof. Agreed

He didn't do anything in the games he played last year that may indicate the critics were right. He didn't do anything to prove them wrong either

Tebow is going to be a winner in this league. ?We need defense not another freakin' QB. Agreed

Tebow may not be Elway's type of QB, but that doesn't mean Tebow can't play. But what position is the question.

Sorry but Tebow hasn't proven anything yet and that's exactly why he needs to be given the chance. I understand fully Elways feelings and misgivings about Tebow, I have them too. But there's just garbage this year as far as QB's, get a free agent QB as backup and let's see what Tebow can do.

Bronco Yoda
04-05-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't know whether you watched last season or not, but Denver aren't exactly in a position to be taking offensive 'development' players in the early rounds.

I agree. At this point we'll be doing good just to try and field two dozen good starters. Then comes critical depth...... then projects.

Taco John
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Is Pioli offering massages or something?

Pony Boy
04-05-2011, 02:16 PM

Shouldn't you be a little more concerned with Mike Vrabel getting arrested for stealing bottles of alcohol from a casino deli. Hilarious!

bendog
04-05-2011, 02:22 PM
Shouldn't you be a little more concerned with Mike Vrabel getting arrested for stealing bottles of alcohol from a casino deli. Hilarious!

It was a misunderstanding. Anybody could make that mistake if they were drunk and in a deli at 5:30 in the morning.

04-05-2011, 02:58 PM

No. Mike Vrabel is a brokedick that needs to get the F off the team.

Pony Boy
04-05-2011, 03:11 PM
No. Mike Vrabel is a brokedick that needs to get the F off the team.

But....but....but..... KC is where all the brokedick players go to play out their final years, it's the elephant graveyard for NFL players

04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
But....but....but..... KC is where all the brokedick players go to play out their final years, it's the elephant graveyard for NFL players

You're living in the past. Carl is gone.

broncosteven
04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
You're living in the past. Carl is gone.

Carl didn't trade for Cassel, though didn't he trade for Steve Bono which is about the same thing?

epicSocialism4tw
04-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Carl didn't trade for Cassel, though didn't he trade for Steve Bono which is about the same thing?

Didnt he draft Brodie Croyle as well?