PDA

View Full Version : Colin Kaepernick?

tsiguy96
04-03-2011, 06:42 PM
from draftinsider:
- SI.com picked up a story this weekend we’ve been holding for ten days. Sources have told us a while ago they expect the Denver Broncos to draft a quarterback this year and it could be early. Many familiar with the situation told us Tim Tebow is not the quarterback for John Elway- and with the future Hall of Fame passer calling many of the shots for the franchise a signal caller is a priority. Colin Kaepernick of Nevada at the top of round two makes the most sense. The team has already worked out Kaepernick and will bring him in for a visit next week. Sources have also said the team will draft a playmaking tight end at some point in the draft. Julius Thomas is one of the players they seem to be targeting. Teams have been impressed with his football smarts and love his upside.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5189

elway has shown almost zero true public support for tebow, hell even harbaugh is giving alex smith a ton of support at SF, but tebow is getting nothing but "hes not there, we will look at all options" etc. i truly wonder why this is given he has SUCH a high upside thats obvious to nearly everyone. even the "kyle orton is the starter" talk instead of the usual "every position is open for competition" that has been going on, its all just strange.

SpringStein
04-03-2011, 06:52 PM
How can a legit draft website in April have a top 100 list from February??? zowie!

broncosteven
04-03-2011, 07:07 PM
This is why I hope we can trade down out and stock pile some 2nd 3rd and maybe even 4th round picks.

If they want to take a flyer on a QB early in the 2nd then they would still have enough picks to get a couple DT's mid draft.

I would be surprised if they did not go after the top TE in this draft. Right now we do not have a pass catching TE...or a blocking TE.

Also if they do pickup a QB in the 1st or 2nd round they really should move Orton or Tebow. No sense having 4 QB's on the roster when we need to fill so many other holes.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-03-2011, 07:34 PM
I think its possible, only if we trade away orton first.

schaaf
04-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Kaepernick is more of a project than Tebow.. **** this

tsiguy96
04-03-2011, 07:39 PM
i dont mind it if its like pack did with rodgers and brohm, but this team has way too many needs to worry about QB when there is a potential star already on the roster...

Play2win
04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
and with the future Hall of Fame passer calling many of the shots...

WTF

Retire #30!!!
04-03-2011, 08:29 PM
I live in Reno saw his whole career, good athlete won't translate to next level. And he is as smart as Nate Webster stay away.

FireFly
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I think a QB in the early 2nd is a real possibility.

I sincerely hope we don't, but I don't think we can rule it out as a possibility

yerner
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
As much as I believe Tebow is a fullback, I think waiting until the next years crop of QB's is a wiser option. I'd take Luck or Barkley and probably a few others over the qb's in this draft.

RhymesayersDU
04-03-2011, 08:44 PM
As much as I believe Tebow is a fullback, I think waiting until the next years crop of QB's is a wiser option. I'd take Luck or Barkley and probably a few others over the qb's in this draft.

Agreed.

Plus let's not give up on Tebow now. We might as well give him a year to play, we're not going anywhere next year anyway. And if he does fail miserably, we'll be positioned in the draft to take Luck.

Unless the idea would be to trade Tebow while he's still somewhat of an unknown commodity.

That One Guy
04-03-2011, 08:45 PM

Way to go with the risky pick.

After all the crap we heard during the hiring process about how the coach had to love Tebow, I'll really question the direction of this ship if they abandon him. And if they draft a QB high, that's exactly what they've done. When you have a Favre on your roster, yeah you can draft a Rodgers. He knows he's the QBOTF and just had to wait his turn. When you have two youngsters on the team though and both think they're the QBOTF (and have the pedigree to have high expectations), you're just asking for trouble. Noone would do that.

Baba Booey
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
Eugh...

NFLBRONCO
04-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Agreed.

Plus let's not give up on Tebow now. We might as well give him a year to play, we're not going anywhere next year anyway. And if he does fail miserably, we'll be positioned in the draft to take Luck.

Unless the idea would be to trade Tebow while he's still somewhat of an unknown commodity.

I know this is a stretch but, I'll say it anyway. Is it possible FO wants to rid itself of anything McD related ie Tebow. If our plan is to trade Tebow I would not play him.

Archer81
04-03-2011, 09:01 PM
...These articles...

If this is how locked out NFL will be, then heaven help football fans.

:Broncos:

Archer81
04-03-2011, 09:02 PM
I know this is a stretch but, I'll say it anyway. Is it possible FO wants to rid itself of anything McD related ie Tebow.

That would be dumb. Give up on a player simply because the unpopular former coach picked him. If that happens then this franchise is in for a longer stretch of suck.

lostknight
04-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sick with this front office. Kaepernick is not a bad choice however, if only because having another quarterback that can play the same game as Tim could be a huge asset and to our ability to re-orient the offense around Tebow.

What pisses me off, endlessly, is that this organization is classless in how they are playing this out in the media. Compare and contrast how the Rockies treat their players, with how the Broncos are.

It's like watching the entire Hillis debacle, this time more painfully and slowly.

oubronco
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Keep em guessing John

Cmac821
04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
is it so hard to build a team and let Tebow have a year then make a decision. Because even if we draft a QB we will win less or equal amount of games. Besides it would be a PR nightmare if Tebow was traded/cut or never given a chance.

BlaK-Argentina
04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
If Elway does this I'll seriously question his ability to lead this team. There's NO reason to draft a QB this year UNLESS we trade Orton and need a number 3. And even then it would need to be a late pick. If we blow a 2nd or 3rd on a draft that has so many talented D linemen I'm going to go nuts.

Seriously, if Tebow sucks (and I don't think he will) play him, get another high pick next year and draft ****ing Luck but don't blow a pick THIS YEAR.

lostknight
04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Elway might be setting up for next year, assuming that this year doesn't happen due to lockout. If that happens, and if Carolina does go ahead and draft Newton, then Luck would be available next year. Elway can then go draft his "mini-me"

BlaK-Argentina
04-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Plus I'm having a really crappy day at work.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Kaepernick is more of a project than Tebow.. **** this

Love this projection. Like Montana, Brady and Kolb.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Obviously, this is all speculation and Kaepernick was the writers suggestion, not what he "heard" from Bronco brass, but what baffles me most about this QB insistence is this is the exact thing that pissed off Broncos fans during the McD regime. Getting rid of players before even trying them out. The proper course of action, action no one could blame Elway for, would be to give tim a shot and if its an epic fail, start over. If he doesnt, and drafts a passer early in the draft, he's already putting himself behind the 8 ball before the broncos play a game.

Doesnt make sense.

Also, lets just say the Broncos draft a QB, to me it still makes sense to keep Tim for goal line situations. The goal line offense problem, an annual achilles heel for the broncos, DISAPPEARED...100 percent DISAPPEARED when they finally decided to use Tim in the new role.

THAT is a weapon.

HAT
04-03-2011, 10:51 PM
The proper course of action, action no one could blame Elway for, would be to give tim a shot and if its an epic fail, start over.

Of the many reasons I don't believe for a second that Denver will draft a QB in 2011 (Assuming no CBA)....This is the biggest.

It's an instant out for Elway, and Fox for that matter. And not just Tebow....All 3 QB's on the roster were acquired by McD. Start one or the other and let the chips fall where they may in 2011.

If things don't pan out....Blame McD and reassess next March.

Archer81
04-04-2011, 12:36 AM
Love this projection. Like Montana, Brady and Kolb.

One of these things is not like the others...

bap454
04-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Plus I'm having a really crappy day at work.

I could be worse....you could be on your IPhone in the unemployment line.:sunshine:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-04-2011, 01:26 AM
from draftinsider:

elway has shown almost zero true public support for tebow, hell even harbaugh is giving alex smith a ton of support at SF, but tebow is getting nothing but "hes not there, we will look at all options" etc. i truly wonder why this is given he has SUCH a high upside thats obvious to nearly everyone. even the "kyle orton is the starter" talk instead of the usual "every position is open for competition" that has been going on, its all just strange.

He showed plenty of support for Tebow when Peter King suggested John might trade Tebow to some offensive coordinator for the Rams. He even went so far as to say that everybody in the front office thought Tebow was worth everything they gave up to get him.

Now, as we get closer to the draft Elway is trying to convince us that he's not not bluffing. Nice poker face John... :afro:

Broncos_OTM
04-04-2011, 03:43 AM
Didnt we just fire a coach whn he tried to bring in his guy. Damnit go Defense address the QB situation if tebow is not where you want him next year.

If john drafts a QB this year high im calling for his head.

tsiguy96
04-04-2011, 04:59 AM
Chris steuber said Denver in love with Christian ponder and wants to trade back into round 1 to get him. Will post quote in a bit.

meangene
04-04-2011, 05:15 AM
I, for one, am getting sick and tired of the FO treatment of Tebow. They have publicly shown him no respect whatsoever. As was pointed out earlier, a simple "all positions are open to competition" would have sufficed. I don't find the quotes about him not yet being an NFL quarterback, whether accuarate or not, appropriate public fodder. This endless parade of quarterback meetings and workouts, even if just for show, has gone to the level of overkill. If this teams really drafts a QB early, with all our other needs, I think they will lose a large portion of an already disenchanted fan base. I, for one, would question Elway's readiness for his position.

Kaylore
04-04-2011, 05:20 AM
That site is pretty lame.

DrFate
04-04-2011, 05:58 AM
ESPN and SI are both 'reporting' that Elway is taking a QB earlier rather than later. Whether this means he wants to cut Tebow loose is debateable.

I had considered earlier - even if he sticks with Tebow through 2011, the Broncos need a #2. I have to assume Orton is gone. And is Quinn 'that guy' if Tebow turns an ankle and misses 3 or 4 weeks?

tsiguy96
04-04-2011, 06:08 AM
#HeardThis: #Broncos targeting Christian Ponder; Elway loves his ability/makeup. Ironically, @cponder7 favorite QB alltime is Elway.

Just a clarification, #Broncos interested in trading back into R1 to get Ponder. DEN has two 2nd RD picks, could trade 1 of them + others.

from chris steuber..

ColoradoDarin
04-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Awesome! Yes! QB all the way!

Every pick in the draft a QB!!! Maybe even trade down a spot or 2 so we can get more picks to draft QBs!

Then in another 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc years I can still be complaining about the lack of elite talent on our defensive line!

tsiguy96
04-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Awesome! Yes! QB all the way!

Every pick in the draft a QB!!! Maybe even trade down a spot or 2 so we can get more picks to draft QBs!

Then in another 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc years I can still be complaining about the lack of elite talent on our defensive line!

it is 100% dumbfounding if they use a 1st or 2nd on QB with the defense in the shape it is and a 2nd year first round QB on the roster. its stuff like that that will truly make this team suck for the next several years.

MABroncoFan
04-04-2011, 07:22 AM
I don't have a problem w/ us taking a QB, but I'd prefer if we'd trade back a bit from #2, still get an elite defensive player, and pick up additional picks in the 2nd/3rd/4th so we can get a QB in round 2 and still pick up a lot of defensive talent early.

If we trade both 2's, or a 2 and a 3 to get back into the 1st to take a QB, and only get 1 or 2 potential starters on D, I'm not going to be crazy about that move.

NFLBRONCO
04-04-2011, 07:22 AM
it is 100% dumbfounding if they use a 1st or 2nd on QB with the defense in the shape it is and a 2nd year first round QB on the roster. its stuff like that that will truly make this team suck for the next several years.

Yep I'd rather trade down like mad and stockpile picks and bolster D vs drafting a QB not named Luck.

Smiling Assassin27
04-04-2011, 07:24 AM
I live in Reno saw his whole career, good athlete won't translate to next level. And he is as smart as Nate Webster stay away.

I'm sold. EVERY team should have a Nate Webster...How are his helmet projectile skills, do they translate to the next level? :peace:

Smiling Assassin27
04-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Fox's offenses have historically been run-first, so why are we fretting about the qb spot with nary a sure thing at that position in this draft? Patience, John. Build a defense from a defense-deep draft and look for a bit luck (pun intended) in next year's draft.

Beantown Bronco
04-04-2011, 07:30 AM
If things don't pan out....Blame McD and reassess next March.

Colonel Xanders? Is that you?

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 08:14 AM
I, for one, am getting sick and tired of the FO treatment of Tebow. They have publicly shown him no respect whatsoever. As was pointed out earlier, a simple "all positions are open to competition" would have sufficed. I don't find the quotes about him not yet being an NFL quarterback, whether accuarate or not, appropriate public fodder. This endless parade of quarterback meetings and workouts, even if just for show, has gone to the level of overkill. If this teams really drafts a QB early, with all our other needs, I think they will lose a large portion of an already disenchanted fan base. I, for one, would question Elway's readiness for his position.

I don't know what to believe about the BBT's position on the present or future QB's.

I can see how they'd like to get a draftee in to compete with Tebow/Orton/Quinn, but they seem to be putting a lot of effort into scouting draftee QB's that are potential late-1st/early-2nd guys.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-04-2011, 08:14 AM
One of these things is not like the others...

Who do you think I'm talking about?

tsiguy96
04-04-2011, 08:15 AM
i want to know how they came up with the conclusion that tebow is not the guy of the future, when he was drafted in the first round just last year and they have literally NEVER worked with him.

gyldenlove
04-04-2011, 08:18 AM
If we are lucky we can draft Cam Newton in the 1st, trade the low 2nd and and 3rd to get into the bottom of round 1 and get Ponder, then we can probably still have Locker or maybe Mallett in the top 2nd, one of them has to become a franchise QB and if all else fails Orton is still the starter.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-04-2011, 08:22 AM
i want to know how they came up with the conclusion that tebow is not the guy of the future, when he was drafted in the first round just last year and they have literally NEVER worked with him.

I was just talking about this with a friend, trying to think of an apt comparison. How many times has a QB been taken in the first round, played decently (showed a lot of promise) only to be dumped the next year for another QB taken in the first round. Im sure its happened, but anyone have any examples? Its funny how people arent even discussing this in absurd terms.

DrFate
04-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Truthfully - Elway has all the same scouting info that McDaniels had - so it's possible where McDaniels processed that info and said 'Tebow is the man' Elway may have processed identical info and said 'Tebow is an H-back'. It's a little disingenious to say Elway/Fox can't have possibly formed an opinion based on Tebow's limited play.

That said - my opinion is that the front office should give Tebow more time as QB1 and see how it plays out. I think they SHOULD draft a QB in the middle of the draft, but more of a developmental guy simply because there is no long-term backup.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 08:44 AM
If we are lucky we can draft Cam Newton in the 1st, trade the low 2nd and and 3rd to get into the bottom of round 1 and get Ponder, then we can probably still have Locker or maybe Mallett in the top 2nd, one of them has to become a franchise QB and if all else fails Orton is still the starter.

That's certainly a Newtonian equation to Ponder upon at the Locker of the Mallet-head known as DJ Williams. A Universe of QB's in the Kaepernickan mold.

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 08:47 AM

The FO is absolutely doing the right thing by backing Orton and saying Tebow is a project. This actually protects Tebow. There's so much pressure on him to be successful, the fans want it bad. However, the FO knows he's not quite ready to lead this team.

Let's say Tebow starts this next coming season. And let's say he stinks. I mean, he sucks bad. Then what? Now the front office looks like fools and Tebow mania becomes Tebow crucifixion. Nobody wins. It's much better to put the fricken pressure on ORTON and the make ORTON prove he's worthy of the starting position. This takes pressure off Tebow!! This allows Tebow some time to develop.

If there is one guy who knows about pressure and how it can adversly affect a young QB, it's Elway. He may be simply trying to protect Tebow a little bit by not giving him some kind of ringing endorsement and keys to the mansion. He knows Tebow has the work ethic. What Elway does not know is IF he can become a ligitimate starting NFL QB who makes good decisions and good throws.

IMHO, I like Elway taking the pressure off Tebow. To me, that says he sees the big picture.

The media loves to set people up in order to tear them down. And Tebow may be that kind of an athlete. Build him up, and then watch him fall when things go bad.

No thanks. I'd rather he be given some time to develop. If Orton is traded then it will fall on Tebow's shoulders to guide this team. However, I really don't think Orton will be traded UNLESS some team gives up so much, that the Broncos just can't say no.

TonyR
04-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Truthfully - Elway has all the same scouting info that McDaniels had - so it's possible where McDaniels processed that info and said 'Tebow is the man' Elway may have processed identical info and said 'Tebow is an H-back'. It's a little disingenious to say Elway/Fox can't have possibly formed an opinion based on Tebow's limited play.

Agree, and also keep in mind that for whatever reasons McD didn't play Tebow even when Orton and the Broncos were falling apart leading up to his firing.

CEH
04-04-2011, 08:52 AM

The same way I think there are still other NFL teams who currently do not view Tebow as an NFL QB and would never draft him to play QB,

You think there are a few teams out there that still have that sentiment

Fox was in the market for a QB last year so I'm sure he went over Tebow with a fine tooth comb

Its all conjecture at this point but its not out of the question they might want to move on

WolfpackGuy
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
I wonder what was going through Troy Aikman's head when the Cowgirls selected Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft the SAME year.

strafen
04-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Has anybody seen Colin Kaepernick play?
Do a search and watch some of his videos and tell me who does he remind you of?
He's another Tebow, except not as strong or big....

tsiguy96
04-04-2011, 09:02 AM
The same way I think there are still other NFL teams who currently do not view Tebow as an NFL QB and would never draft him to play QB,

You think there are a few teams out there that still have that sentiment

Fox was in the market for a QB last year so I'm sure he went over Tebow with a fine tooth comb

Its all conjecture at this point but its not out of the question they might want to move on

so you have a QB on your team who just went in the first round, played as a rookie and did pretty good, but because your pre-draft eval on him said hes not good, you are going to ignore the absolute worst defense in the entire league in favor of upgrading a position with a person who may or may not be an upgrade?

theres literally no way to make sense of spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB in this particular draft, much less use extra picks to move up and get one.

TheReverend
04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
so you have a QB on your team who just went in the first round, played as a rookie and did pretty good, but because your pre-draft eval on him said hes not good, you are going to ignore the absolute worst defense in the entire league in favor of upgrading a position with a person who may or may not be an upgrade?

theres literally no way to make sense of spending a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB in this particular draft, much less use extra picks to move up and get one.

I vehemently disagree with it, but it's very possible.

Let's not forget McCoy.

-McCoy may have played a big role in Tim not seeing the field sooner.
-McCoy CERTAINLY didn't trust Tebow with decent play calling as evidenced by the final 3 games (especially @ Oakland)
-McCoy and Fox go way back, and as evidenced by McCoy staying on, Fox trusts him

I DO think it's pre-draft smokescreen and Elway employing some Shana-tactics, but it's absolutely a possibility. Either way, we'll see for ourselves soon enough.

FantomForce
04-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Dumbest thread ever. ok nothing against the thread but why couldn't it mention a real qb, not some guy that is coming out of the Pistol offesne.

rugbythug
04-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Teabow is not the reason we should avoid qb's early in this draft. The qb's availible is the best evidence I see for going defence. Our need does not make these players better.

oubronco
04-04-2011, 09:33 AM
Christian Ponder (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6433/christian-ponder) - QB - Player (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/clg/player)
The Broncos are interested in trading back to draft Florida State QB Christian Ponder, according to Scout.com draft analyst Chris Steuber.

This comes on the heels of a report saying Tim Tebow is "not the quarterback for John Elway." Ponder is perhaps the most NFL-ready quarterback in the draft and will likely be available in the back end of the first round or the first part of the second round. Our guess continues to be that Elway does indeed want to trade down to fill his multifarious defensive needs, and he's using the QB talk as a smokescreen.
Related: Broncos (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/den/broncos)

Source: Chris Steuber on Twitter (http://twitter.com/ChrisSteuber/status/54869189118279680)
Apr 4, 9:42 AM

gyldenlove
04-04-2011, 09:40 AM
Teabow is not the reason we should avoid qb's early in this draft. The qb's availible is the best evidence I see for going defence. Our need does not make these players better.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Christian Ponder (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6433/christian-ponder) - QB - Player (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/clg/player)
The Broncos are interested in trading back to draft Florida State QB Christian Ponder, according to Scout.com draft analyst Chris Steuber.

This comes on the heels of a report saying Tim Tebow is "not the quarterback for John Elway." Ponder is perhaps the most NFL-ready quarterback in the draft and will likely be available in the back end of the first round or the first part of the second round. Our guess continues to be that Elway does indeed want to trade down to fill his multifarious defensive needs, and he's using the QB talk as a smokescreen.
Related: Broncos (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/clubhouse/nfl/den/broncos)

Source: Chris Steuber on Twitter (http://twitter.com/ChrisSteuber/status/54869189118279680)
Apr 4, 9:42 AM

Jebus, how often do you see "multifarious" used in conversation, much less in an NFL draft article? Nevertheless, it was good usage of the word.

meangene
04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
The FO is absolutely doing the right thing by backing Orton and saying Tebow is a project. This actually protects Tebow. There's so much pressure on him to be successful, the fans want it bad. However, the FO knows he's not quite ready to lead this team.

Let's say Tebow starts this next coming season. And let's say he stinks. I mean, he sucks bad. Then what? Now the front office looks like fools and Tebow mania becomes Tebow crucifixion. Nobody wins. It's much better to put the fricken pressure on ORTON and the make ORTON prove he's worthy of the starting position. This takes pressure off Tebow!! This allows Tebow some time to develop.

If there is one guy who knows about pressure and how it can adversly affect a young QB, it's Elway. He may be simply trying to protect Tebow a little bit by not giving him some kind of ringing endorsement and keys to the mansion. He knows Tebow has the work ethic. What Elway does not know is IF he can become a ligitimate starting NFL QB who makes good decisions and good throws.

IMHO, I like Elway taking the pressure off Tebow. To me, that says he sees the big picture.

The media loves to set people up in order to tear them down. And Tebow may be that kind of an athlete. Build him up, and then watch him fall when things go bad.

No thanks. I'd rather he be given some time to develop. If Orton is traded then it will fall on Tebow's shoulders to guide this team. However, I really don't think Orton will be traded UNLESS some team gives up so much, that the Broncos just can't say no.

How would spending an early draft pick on another QB help take pressure off Tebow? I think having a defense would really help!

Requiem
04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
If we took Kaepernick in the second with the tremendous value that will be there, I'll likely give up on the franchise.

OABB
04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Elway can't possibly be this stupid. No Qb should be given up on this fast. Not even Ryan lief. There is no way this is true. Especially since tebow in his first ever three starts outplayed our starter and led the team to more points including a 17 point comeback.

If elwy is this stupid I may go jhns on him.

KO5K
04-04-2011, 10:03 AM

I would be really interested to see the fan's reaction to dumping Tebow so soon.

I don't have the emotional attachment that a lot of Broncos' fans have to Elway so I'm already very skeptical of the work he has done and dumping Tebow would be the last straw for me but I still think the majority would stick by him.

But here's to not ever finding out the answer...

DrFate
04-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Is it too early for me to point out that this entire mess is, in fact, McDaniel's fault?

:wiggle:

ColoradoDarin
04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
MOAR QBs! Nom Nom Nom!

WolfpackGuy
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Is it too early for me to point out that this entire mess is, in fact, McDaniel's fault?

:wiggle:

You can never go to the well too early or too often for that.

Broncoman13
04-04-2011, 11:04 AM

Pretty good take... but if you take a QB early (first two rounds) it says you aren't willing to even see if Tebow is the QB of the future.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 11:13 AM
Elway can't possibly be this stupid. No Qb should be given up on this fast. Not even Ryan lief. There is no way this is true. Especially since tebow in his first ever three starts outplayed our starter and led the team to more points including a 17 point comeback.

i have to agree. not only that but if we do go QB in the 1st 2 rounds, i am not going to be very surprised when within 3-5 years Fox, Elway and Xanders are all out of a job

Cito Pelon
04-04-2011, 12:12 PM
i have to agree. not only that but if we do go QB in the 1st 2 rounds, i am not going to be very surprised when within 3-5 years Fox, Elway and Xanders are all out of a job

It would be kind of goofy to go for a Qb early. Hell, even Orton can win a lot of games with a good D and ST's. I hope they're smart enough to recognize what is needed this draft, and what is the value in this draft.

elsid13
04-04-2011, 02:20 PM
I think the front office is still not comfortable with QB position at this time. If they believe that there is a player out there that will solidify the position they will make the selection and don't care what the fans think.

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
How would spending an early draft pick on another QB help take pressure off Tebow? I think having a defense would really help!

that's not gonna happen, especially if Orton is on the roster. Again, there's not one QB in the draft outside of maybe Gabbart, who could step right in and replace Orton. Orton has his deficiencies, but they are not so huge that a guy like Ponder of Kaepernick can step in and replace Orton, and give the Broncos the best chance to win.

The Broncos best chance to win, right now, is Orton (or maybe Tebow) + a much better defense + a running game.

If Orton is traded and the Broncos spend an early round draft pick on a QB, it basically tells me they are not interested in winning at all, just completely rebuilding. If that is the case, then it will be up to Tebow to win the position in training camp, and let the chips fall where they may.

IMHO, it just makes more sense to keep Orton, keep Tebow, fix the defense and the running game, and then evaluate the QB position after the 2011-12 season.

That One Guy
04-04-2011, 02:55 PM
I think the front office is still not comfortable with QB position at this time. If they believe that there is a player out there that will solidify the position they will make the selection and don't care what the fans think.

Isn't that the attitude of McD which led to all the "reconnect with the fans" statements when Elway was being brought on board? Would such an intentional and intense QB battle lead to the "family" atmosphere they said they were going to return to amongst the players?

razorwire77
04-04-2011, 03:01 PM
This has gotta be a draft smokescreen on Elway's part. No way is he dumb enough/arrogant enough to draft a QB with any of the first 3 picks this year. Although, I think there is some significant fire around the smoke that says Elway isn't sold on Tebow as the future QB.

NFLBRONCO
04-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Denver needs 3 more picks in top 3 rounds to bolster holes

elsid13
04-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Isn't that the attitude of McD which led to all the "reconnect with the fans" statements when Elway was being brought on board? Would such an intentional and intense QB battle lead to the "family" atmosphere they said they were going to return to amongst the players?

I don't think the two thing are mutually exclusive. Position battle happen all the time in NFL, and few players (Champ, Clady, DJ) have earned the right not to fight for their jobs on this team. If Ponder or Locker are sitting there in second I wouldn't be surprised if the team pulled the trigger.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I don't think the two thing are mutually exclusive. Position battle happen all the time in NFL, and few players (Champ, Clady, DJ) have earned the right not to fight for their jobs on this team. If Ponder or Locker are sitting there in second I wouldn't be surprised if the team pulled the trigger.

position battles are normal in the NFL, however players picked in the 1st 2 or 3 rounds are expected to be contributors to the team. by picking a guy in the 1st or 2nd round, you are expecting results from that guy, not a backup

and if we are going to have competition, i would much rather wait a year to bring in a competitor rather than take one of these marginal talents available in this draft

elsid13
04-04-2011, 03:38 PM
position battles are normal in the NFL, however players picked in the 1st 2 or 3 rounds are expected to be contributors to the team. by picking a guy in the 1st or 2nd round, you are expecting results from that guy, not a backup

and if we are going to have competition, i would much rather wait a year to bring in a competitor rather than take one of these marginal talents available in this draft

The "marginal" talent in the draft might be better then the marginal talent on the team.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 03:50 PM
The "marginal" talent in the draft might be better then the marginal talent on the team.

bull****!

Newton is Tebow minus all the intangibles that Tebow has, leadership ability, fiery attitude, ability to get his teammates to rally around him and make his entire team better

Gabbert, basically this drafts Cutler

Kaepernick is a smaller weaker Tebow.

where is this talent that is better than what we have?

That One Guy
04-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Position battles do happen but think about another QB controversy. Champ isn't going to want to go through another QB switch (especially with a rookie) unless Tebow isn't showing promise. That's the kind of thing I get the feeling they want to get away from. When you bring someone in, let everyone think he's the one, and then pull the rug out from under him not for anything he didn't do (he's done nothing wrong since being in Denver), but because he's not 'your guy' then I think that causes problems. Just listen to what's being said here already, people are ready to lose faith in Elway over this issue. Imagine what those who just watch ESPN and think Tebow is the greatest ever would think.

elsid13
04-04-2011, 04:13 PM
bull****!

Newton is Tebow minus all the intangibles that Tebow has, leadership ability, fiery attitude, ability to get his teammates to rally around him and make his entire team better

Everyone want to make it about Tebow, it is not. It about Orton, Quinn and Tebow. That is marginal talent at the QB spot. You have Orton who is Orton, Tebow that is project and Quinn who is gay porn star. If FO figure that there is QB in this Draft that has stronger upside then those three they will select him. BTW Colin Kaepernick is 6-5 and 233, ran 4.53 40. Tebow is 6-3, 236 and ran 4.71. Both are the official Combine measurements.

Tombstone RJ
04-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Everyone want to make it about Tebow, it is not. It about Orton, Quinn and Tebow. That is marginal talent at the QB spot. You have Orton who is Orton, Tebow that is project and Quinn who is gay porn star. If FO figure that there is QB in this Draft that has stronger upside then those three they will select him. BTW Colin Kaepernick is 6-5 and 233, ran 4.53 40. Tebow is 6-3, 236 and ran 4.71. Both are the official Combine measurements.

The only point that really matters is does Kaepernick give the Broncos a better chance to win than Orton or Tebow? Is he that much better than these two QBs to justify picking him in the 3rd round, or even the 4th round? I seriously doubt it.

Elway is playing with fire if he thinks he can draft a QB on the first day, a guy that is not going to beat out Orton, or Tebow for that matter, and not cause a major rift with Broncos fans.

BroncoMan4ever
04-04-2011, 08:45 PM

yes it is about Tebow. with Orton possibly out of here any time between now and next January, that means whoever is drafted is here for Tebow's job. now, even if that isn't the plan, picking up a guy in the 1st 3 rounds of a draft indicates, we expect this guy to play, otherwise it is a waste of a pick.

TheElusiveKyleOrton
04-04-2011, 08:48 PM
The only point that really matters is does Kaepernick give the Broncos a better chance to win than Orton or Tebow? Is he that much better than these two QBs to justify picking him in the 3rd round, or even the 4th round? I seriously doubt it.

Elway is playing with fire if he thinks he can draft a QB on the first day, a guy that is not going to beat out Orton, or Tebow for that matter, and not cause a major rift with Broncos fans.

If Elway sees something in a quarterback... let's just say I'm comfortable with the idea of him pulling the trigger.

If John Elway believes his gamble isn't "if" the guy is a winner and a starter, but "when"... I mean... he's John ****ing Elway! I'm not going to rip him before we see his results and tendencies.

I don't like Kaepernick, but Ponder has been pretty impressive. And if Locker is there at 2A... and if we can get something for Orton...

cmhargrove
04-05-2011, 05:42 AM

Best selling jersey on our team.

Best selling jersey in the nfl.

Commercial star, a nation of fans (even non-Bronco fans) rooting him on. Countless thousands of college football fans tuning in to see if he can re-create his magic in the nfl.

And you don't think it is about Tebow?

BTW - I give Elway an A+ in his first draft as GM. Every team out there is now completely confused as to our choices, and now we are dangling our pick as one possibly used for a QB. Hopefullly we can trade back a couple spots and still take the players we want.

Beantown Bronco
04-05-2011, 06:05 AM
BTW - I give Elway an A+ in his first draft as GM.

Wow. I must've missed it. Who did we even select?

ColoradoDarin
04-05-2011, 07:18 AM
They won't draft a QB early. Mike lost half the team when he went with Griese over Brister, and completely lost the team when he put Cutler in there over Plummer. I saw a team that would run through brick walls for its QB the last few games - this is already Tebow's team. I do salute the posturing though, well done Elway, well done.

HAT
04-05-2011, 08:20 AM

He's talking about how Elway has a bunch of media hacks, some ninnies on the 'Mane and, hopefully, at least one other NFL team thinking that Denver is actually interested in a QB in the first couple of rounds.

I guarantee it won't happen, but Elway is doing an okay job of selling it I guess.

TheChamp24
04-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Taking a QB early...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2776/4349687585_244a15c8a8.jpg

broncosteven
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM

There are so many holes to fill which were self inflicted over the last 2-3 years that even if this is not a smoke screen and they do take a QB high in the draft it will be because they think they can make the team better.

mCd played with fire on a daily basis, I think Elway and Fox deserve a year or 3 to try to right the ship.

The only rift in the fanbase might come from the newly minted Gator converts, I think those of us that stuck out the mCd year (and a half) will stick out Elway and Fox also.

Requiem
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I'm for Christian Ponder or Jake Locker @ #36 if either is there. Then you have to hope CBA is reached soon and you can trade Orton. I'd keep Tebow on the team over Orton. I don't care if it would be two young quarterbacks on the roster without a real veteran preference. I have no idea what John thinks, but maybe he just doesn't feel Tim is the guy who can do it. Maybe this is all posturing. *shrug*

Christian Ponder. :)

bendog
04-05-2011, 12:21 PM
My guess is that the continuing lockout and no movement on a cba dooms us to have Orton and Tebow on the team, and they won't draft a qb. Or if they do it'll be a guy like Pat Devlin way late and let him challange Quinn. They can't afford to use a top 100 pick, or really even a third, unless they get an extra pick in a trade.

BroncoInferno
04-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Yes, but a position battle at QB is different from one at, say, CB. If you draft a CB in the 2nd round to compete for a starting job, he can still make a significant contribution to the team as a nickle/dime DB even if he loses out on the starting job. If you draft a QB that early in the draft and he doesn't start, it's a total waste of a pick, because he can't contribute. So, depending on who wins the competition, at best we would have wasted either a 2010 1st rounder (Tebow) or a 2011 1st or 2nd rounder (player unknown). At worst, both picks are wasted. If you aren't sold on Tebow, fine, I'm not either. But there is simply no way to justify sinking further high costs into the QB position until we know for certain whether or not Tebow can cut it. Especially given the fact that all the QBs in this draft have serious question marks.

cmhargrove
04-05-2011, 01:15 PM

:chefstink

Horse poop in a Chiefs helmet for your comment...

bendog
04-05-2011, 01:15 PM
I think it's pretty clear that Den doesn't plan to use any of the top four picks on a qb ... at the present time.

NUB
04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Worst defense across the board? Draft a QB.

broncosteven
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes, but a position battle at QB is different from one at, say, CB. If you draft a CB in the 2nd round to compete for a starting job, he can still make a significant contribution to the team as a nickle/dime DB even if he loses out on the starting job. If you draft a QB that early in the draft and he doesn't start, it's a total waste of a pick, because he can't contribute. So, depending on who wins the competition, at best we would have wasted either a 2010 1st rounder (Tebow) or a 2011 1st or 2nd rounder (player unknown). At worst, both picks are wasted. If you aren't sold on Tebow, fine, I'm not either. But there is simply no way to justify sinking further high costs into the QB position until we know for certain whether or not Tebow can cut it. Especially given the fact that all the QBs in this draft have serious question marks.

One of mCd's excuses for drafting Tebow when we needed DL depth (though he may have thought that his FA signings would have panned out) was that he wanted competition at all positions. He said that he didn't want to replace Orton, he just wanted to push him to get his best.

That was one of mCd's faults, he did not know how to challenge his players and get the best out of them without alienating them.

I can't see this team coming out of the draft with a QB taken in the high rounds without addressing the other needs 1st. I would not be surprised if they drafted a replacement for Quinn in the later rounds or sign someone as a UDFA.

I hope they are using the QB work outs as a smokescreen in order to get some trade down movement.

~Crash~
04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Best selling jersey on our team.

Best selling jersey in the nfl.

Commercial star, a nation of fans (even non-Bronco fans) rooting him on. Countless thousands of college football fans tuning in to see if he can re-create his magic in the nfl.

And you don't think it is about Tebow?

BTW - I give Elway an A+ in his first draft as GM. Every team out there is now completely confused as to our choices, and now we are dangling our pick as one possibly used for a QB. Hopefullly we can trade back a couple spots and still take the players we want.

hell elway has people-fans all up in there shorts. you are right .so far so good.

also great post...

Cito Pelon
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
Sleeper.

briane
04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
and with the future Hall of Fame passer calling many of the shots...

yeah, with that comment...this piece just lost all credibility.
If they dont know Elway is in the HOF, then how much can you believe from them.

DarkHorse
04-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Why hasn't anyone discussed drafting Gabbert @ #2 and calling up the Browns for some d-linemen?

Seems the most logical direction we should take.

KevinJames
04-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Elway is playing this good lmao people are actually starting to mock a QB to us in the first 2 rounds......

Tombstone RJ
04-16-2011, 09:42 AM
Elway is orchestrating his first draft like a seasoned pro. Broncos will be the wild card of the draft, high stakes, high rewards...

HAT
04-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Elway is playing this good lmao people are actually starting to mock a QB to us in the first 2 rounds......

Link?

Not one legitimate draft site has mocked a QB to Denver.

Cito Pelon
04-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Why hasn't anyone discussed drafting Gabbert @ #2 and calling up the Browns for some d-linemen?

Can't trade picks for players at this point. Can only trade picks for picks.

As for Kaepernick, ya know this guy might be worth a 2nd rounder. I know the D needs all the help it can get, but still . . . .

Cito Pelon
04-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Elway is orchestrating his first draft like a seasoned pro. Broncos will be the wild card of the draft, high stakes, high rewards...

I can see some teams come sniffing around for the #2 overall, but I'm wondering how much they'll offer. Denver may have to let it go cheap in order to entice someone to actually trade up.

The wildcard is this supposed rookie salary cap. If there is indeed a rookie salary cap there might be a lot more interest from teams looking to trade up to #2 overall.

KevinJames
04-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Link?

Not one legitimate draft site has mocked a QB to Denver.

Not any legitimate sites but in the forum section of legit sites ive seen a few so far, im saying Elway has the average Joe and even some of our fans believing this QB non sense.

After this Cam Newton visit I can guarantee at least one legit draft site will mock Cam Newton to us.

fwf
09-11-2013, 06:47 PM
Be honest...

fwf
09-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Has anybody seen Colin Kaepernick play?
Do a search and watch some of his videos and tell me who does he remind you of?
He's another Tebow, except not as strong or big....

Maybe

fwf
09-11-2013, 06:54 PM
bull****!

My favorite

fwf
09-11-2013, 06:55 PM
Dumbest thread ever. ok nothing against the thread but why couldn't it mention a real qb, not some guy that is coming out of the Pistol offesne.

#2. I'm done

fwf
09-11-2013, 06:57 PM

I swear. I'll stop now. :)

BroncoMan4ever
09-11-2013, 07:05 PM
My favorite

Damn you! bringing back this post.

I still believe that Capernick will be average at best over his career. Newton is never going to live up to his draft position and will remain Cutler 2.0

Arkie
09-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Sources have also said the team will draft a playmaking tight end at some point in the draft. Julius Thomas is one of the players they seem to be targeting. Teams have been impressed with his football smarts and love his upside.

Nobody had any comments on this part of the OP.

maven
Damn you! bringing back this post.

I still believe that Capernick will be average at best over his career. Newton is never going to live up to his draft position and will remain Cutler 2.0

If Gabbert was Cutler they'd be happy in Jax.

fwf
I'm just drunk and trolling. It's all good

maven
09-11-2013, 07:10 PM
from draftinsider:

JT!

RhymesayersDU
09-11-2013, 07:59 PM
GREAT top. So ****ing good. Made my night.