PDA

View Full Version : Could BDawk play weakside LB for us?

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 12:43 PM
If Ian Gold and Wesley Woodyard can play LB in the 4-3, why can't BDawk?

He is too slow for safety, and he is probably to0 undersized to play LB, so what do you do with him? I don't want to cut or bench him, because you want his leadership, attitude, and energy on the field.

Think he could play weakside LB at 6'0 225 pounds?

Too late to teach an old dog new tricks? Has any 10 year strong safety ever been moved to LB in a 4-3 before.

BDawk is on the team, but where?

Missouribronc
04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
No.

Jason in LA
04-03-2011, 12:52 PM
No.

Well that settles that. ;D

HILife
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Well that settles that. ;D

Yea, it's a done deal.

RhymesayersDU
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
I thought he'd make a better QB so we can move Tebow to TE.

Cito Pelon
04-03-2011, 12:59 PM
Dawkins had the two year shelf life when he was signed, the two years are done, he's done. Hopefully McBath or Bruton step into his role at safety. Or McCarthy.

If McBath or Bruton can't play NFL safety, then we'll have to draft one.

elsid13
04-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Dawkins had the two year shelf life when he was signed, the two years are done, he's done. Hopefully McBath or Bruton step into his role at safety. Or McCarthy.

Or sign one. Which is better option then the draft this year.

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 01:18 PM
No.

But why not?

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 01:20 PM
Dawkins had the two year shelf life when he was signed, the two years are done, he's done.

Well, they didn't cut him. So he must be in the plans for starting strong safety.

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Hopefully McBath or Bruton step into his role at safety. Or McCarthy.

McBath -- too small and weak to play strong safety? I know he was drafted as a free safety and he has the build of one.

Bruton -- Prototypical size to play strong safety, but is way too mechanical and stiff. I'm sure we could get by with him, but he is not suppose to be a starter in the NFL.

McCarthy -- who knows.

Missouribronc
04-03-2011, 01:37 PM
But why not?

Because he's 37 years old and coming off a season where he missed five games because of a knee injury.

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Because he's 37 years old and coming off a season where he missed five games because of a knee injury.

I get that. So why haven't they cut him yet? They got rid of the dead weight from last year already (Williams, Bannan).

Everything you wrote points to him not even playing football next year, much less playing strong safety.

Bob's your Information Minister
04-03-2011, 01:41 PM
This is what happens when your franchise is in a state of disarray, folks....

Enjoy it.

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Enjoy it.

Coming from a Chiefs fan, I have to take your word for it. You guys are an expert on disarray.

04-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Coming from a Chiefs fan, I have to take your word for it. You guys are an expert on disarray.

This kind of thread is EXACTLY what was a hot topic on Chiefsplanet about two years ago. In fact there were numerous discussions about moving Bernard Pollard to weakside linebacker.

Missouribronc
04-03-2011, 01:47 PM
I get that. So why haven't they cut him yet? They got rid of the dead weight from last year already (Williams, Bannan).

Everything you wrote points to him not even playing football next year, much less playing strong safety.

There's a huge difference between not moving a player to a position he's probably never played (guessing he was a middle linebacker in a vanilla defense in high school) and cutting a player because he can't play.

He's a borderline HOF Strong Safety. Leave him there.

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Enjoy it.

But then again, give us about 10 straight years of drafting in the top ten like the Chiefs were doing before you start pointing fingers.

There is no possible way we could be that bad for that long. Or is it?

Popps
04-03-2011, 01:48 PM
We need to sign a veteran S if Dawkins is done. No way we go into the season with what's on our roster behind him.

04-03-2011, 01:49 PM
But then again, give us about 10 straight years of drafting in the top ten like the Chiefs were doing before you start pointing fingers.

There is no possible way we could be that bad for that long. Or is it?

Ten straight years? Bub, it was three.

Even so, it feels like 10.

You got year one finished with. So look forward to about six wins in the next two years.... :wave:

bronco0608
04-03-2011, 01:56 PM

You got year one finished with. So look forward to about six wins in the next two years.... :wave:

At one point, you have to reload. We had been great to mediocre for about 15 seasons before last year.

It all comes down to Tebow. Either he is it, or isn't. And if he isn't, this franchise is going to be bad for a while.

It should be interesting.

Shananahan
04-03-2011, 02:08 PM
We need to sign a veteran S if Dawkins is done. No way we go into the season with what's on our roster behind him.
I agree with this completely, but I don't think there's any 'if' involved. I'd love to be wrong about it, but he looked terribly slow and old to me last year.

_Oro_
04-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Maybe Josh Barrett could step in... oh.

iforgotmypassword
04-03-2011, 02:48 PM
I don't see what's so horrible with this idea. I could see him as a situational Linebacker. He could definately play strongside on passing downs. Just adding another DB to the mix, not dropping a ton of size (he plays bigger then he is also) and having him in a controlled role where he mans a TE.

Conventional wisdom would say your an idiot, B-Dawk does not fit with conventional wisdom.... they do call him weapon-x for a reason.

Missouribronc
04-03-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't see what's so horrible with this idea. I could see him as a situational Linebacker. He could definately play strongside on passing downs. Just adding another DB to the mix, not dropping a ton of size (he plays bigger then he is also) and having him in a controlled role where he mans a TE.

Conventional wisdom would say your an idiot, B-Dawk does not fit with conventional wisdom.... they do call him weapon-x for a reason.

Exotic schemes belong in college.

iforgotmypassword
04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Exotic schemes belong in college.

okay... I suppose we'll stick our stud strongside LB on all the ****ty TE's in our division this year.

Exotic schemes are designed to take away the opponents mismatches and create your own.

Missouribronc
04-03-2011, 03:13 PM
okay... I suppose we'll stick our stud strongside LB on all the ****ty TE's in our division this year.

Exotic schemes are designed to take away the opponents mismatches and create your own.

Moving a guy who struggled to cover tight ends at the safety position in a 3-4 so that he can cover tight ends at the weakside linebacker position in a 4-3 isn't the answer to that problem. Exotic schemes only work if you have the players to play them. The Broncos don't have the players to play the scheme your suggesting, and few NFL teams do. Keep the exotic crap in college.

There's need of some new blood at weakside linebacker, assuming the switch back to 4-3, and it certainly isn't moving Dawkins there.

iforgotmypassword
04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Ideally we'd get new blood at middle and let DJ play weakside.

B-dawk at STRONGSIDE in PASSING SITUATIONS might not be as effective as some teams at limiting a TE, but for our team is might be our best option as of now.

Missouribronc
04-03-2011, 03:20 PM
So we've changed the argument to Dawkins as a "dime" back in a nickel situation.

Karenin
04-03-2011, 03:33 PM
What the **** is this dumb crap? How many times in NFL history do you think a safety has successfully changed into a LB? Especially a 40 year old safety who probably should've retired two years ago. Think before you post this crap.

razorwire77
04-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Moving a player with knee problems in his late 30's to an entirely new position would reek of desperation. There is no need for desperate moves on this team. The entire house fell down last year, so build from the foundation up. Evaluate Bruton and McBath and determine if one of them is starter caliber. If not, address both safety positions through the draft (2nd or 3rd rounder) and FA. Evaluate the current WLB's and determine if one of them is of starting talent. If not, draft a WLB (2nd or 3rd rounder) and or sign FA talent.

Dedhed
04-03-2011, 04:19 PM
'Tis the season for inane suggestions and laughable takes on how to shortcut your way to improvement or get something out of nothing. This certainly fits the mold.

Maybe we can re-sign Chad Mustard and he can start at Mike for us. Probably an upgrade over DJ there.

FireFly
04-03-2011, 04:42 PM

I agree with this, however I don't think we're going to do better than him this year anyhow because of all our other needs.

If we were a better team than we are, we'd have to replace him, but imo we have a lot of other players/positions that need to be replaced first. Dawkins might have to stay where he is for just one more year.

Once we move Bailey back to Safety he can just stay in the box anyhow ;)

Bronco Yoda
04-03-2011, 05:48 PM
When the wheels fall of, it's the end of the trail.

broncosteven
04-03-2011, 06:00 PM
When the wheels fall of, it's the end of the trail.

Reminded me of the movie: "They shoot horses don't they?"

TheReverend
04-03-2011, 06:14 PM
If we get our paws on Peterson, Dawkins can be effective again.

Just sayin :)

broncosteven
04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
If we get our paws on Peterson, Dawkins can be effective again.

Just sayin :)

So if we got Peterson they could move X-factor to DT?

TheReverend
04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
So if we got Peterson they could move X-factor to DT?

I get the joke, but it's also a good opportunity to expand.

It'll not only give him more opportunities to play in the box and pinch gaps where he belongs, but in coverage he can play the ball instead of the deepest player more.

Playing the ball is something Dawkins has always excelled at and wouldn't nearly be as effected by his lost step which was very much exposed by Wink having him babysit Goodman as much as he did last season.

bendog
04-04-2011, 11:27 AM

but he's a. larger than Gold was and his knee probably isn't as bad as he came back from tampa bay (like one of those colds you can't shake) (-:

Peoples Champ
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM

When was that last chiefs playoff win?

BroncoInferno
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
No.

/endthread

Boltjolt
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes, yes! I think they should move Dawkins to LB and cut the guy that is there now. And then Sign Dawkins to a 5 year extension. Sounds good to me !Booya!