PDA

View Full Version : Good news: unemployment rate falls to new two-year low

Chris
04-01-2011, 08:55 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12935003

Analysis

John Mervin New York business editor, BBC News

With this jobs report it does appear the economy has reached a real turning point.

Not just a theoretical one, only of interest to economists either, but one that might actually lead to an improvement in the lives of millions. Because if about 200,000 new jobs are created each month then, slowly, America will get back to work.

Barring the one-off hiring of census workers in 2010, it is four years since more than 150,000 jobs were created in two consecutive months.

The US may finally be pulling away from the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. But it is only a turning point. There is a long way to go. More than 13 million Americans who want full-time work, haven't found it yet.

Beantown Bronco
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
US may be looking good, but from what I can tell, this has been a terrible quarter in Massachusetts.

bronco militia
04-01-2011, 09:02 AM
More Americans work for the government than in manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining and utilities combined..
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704050204576219073867182108.html

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 09:04 AM
Also, this doesn't take into effect the people who have been out of work for so long that they are no longer collecting unemployment. The fed gov doesn't really talk about that...

bronclvr
04-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Jeez guys, can't you take good news for what it is?

SonOfLe-loLang
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Also, this doesn't take into effect the people who have been out of work for so long that they are no longer collecting unemployment. The fed gov doesn't really talk about that...

Yeah, people who have been unemployed for 27+ weeks are still at an all time high. I dont think people realize how close we were in 08 to having this whole thing fall apart. A long way to go, people. But this new jobs report isn't BAD. Though if the government goes through with this expansionary austerity thing (or anything like it..which they probably wont) itll plunge again...just ask the UK

bronco militia
04-01-2011, 09:15 AM
the price of oil and inflation are going to trigger another round of job cuts this summer

tsiguy96
04-01-2011, 09:18 AM
ive got a job interview saturday too...
kind of a second job and only part time to school, but still.

Requiem
04-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Good news is good news. If more people are working, awesome.

I've been enjoying getting back to FT work after a lengthy break post-school. It's awesome. Nothing better than days like today when your bank account gets upped 4 digits. YEAH.

tsiguy96
04-01-2011, 09:24 AM
Good news is good news. If more people are working, awesome.

I've been enjoying getting back to FT work after a lengthy break post-school. It's awesome. Nothing better than days like today when your bank account gets upped 4 digits. YEAH.

im in year i think 7 of consecutive school, and everytime i tell someone im excited to be done and finally go get a job, people are like "no stay in as long as you can!"

i want to punch those people in the face.

Requiem
04-01-2011, 09:32 AM
Well man, it's not necessarily bad advice.

From what you shared, you're going into a cool field and you're passionate about it. There's nothing wrong with more schooling. For me, I had my kidney disease and a lot of health issues, so I decided to skip graduate school and focus on getting better -- and with all my bills (and at the time no insurance) I needed to get work. I drained all of my savings from working as an undergraduate to pay off medical bills and I felt like I was so behind.

Now, I'm able to pay off more than the minimums on my school loans and CC bill, as well as paying rent and my cell phone.

Outside that, I have very few expenses (groceries, cigs, bus ticket) and I'm poised to save over 2,000 bucks this month if I watch my pennies right.

Working is awesome, but staying in school right now with a rather depressing job market is not a bad idea.

I just got really, really lucky with this job. Plus, I'm in ND and our economy is the best state-wise in the whole nation. We're booming economically and there are a lot of opportunities out here. Plus, it's cheap as **** to live. That's why I'm able to save what I can. I'm absolutely thrilled.

You're gonna do just fine when you get done with schooling. :)

Hell, I can't wait to go back to school -- but this gig is good for now.

peacepipe
04-01-2011, 09:39 AM
important thing is we're headed in the right direction,let's just hope boehner doesn't screw it up.

Smiling Assassin27
04-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Kinetic Recovery

SonOfLe-loLang
04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
the price of oil and inflation are going to trigger another round of job cuts this summer

we really arent experiencing inflation

tsiguy96
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Well man, it's not necessarily bad advice.

From what you shared, you're going into a cool field and you're passionate about it. There's nothing wrong with more schooling. For me, I had my kidney disease and a lot of health issues, so I decided to skip graduate school and focus on getting better -- and with all my bills (and at the time no insurance) I needed to get work. I drained all of my savings from working as an undergraduate to pay off medical bills and I felt like I was so behind.

Now, I'm able to pay off more than the minimums on my school loans and CC bill, as well as paying rent and my cell phone.

Outside that, I have very few expenses (groceries, cigs, bus ticket) and I'm poised to save over 2,000 bucks this month if I watch my pennies right.

Working is awesome, but staying in school right now with a rather depressing job market is not a bad idea.

I just got really, really lucky with this job. Plus, I'm in ND and our economy is the best state-wise in the whole nation. We're booming economically and there are a lot of opportunities out here. Plus, it's cheap as **** to live. That's why I'm able to save what I can. I'm absolutely thrilled.

You're gonna do just fine when you get done with schooling. :)

Hell, I can't wait to go back to school -- but this gig is good for now.
i cant wait to get out of school, been in for 7 years living life as a broke college student with credit card debt and still compiling student loans. why anyone would wnat to continue this life of being broke and rapidly accumulating debt and interest is beyond me. especially when ive achieved the highest level of education i can get that doesnt lead into a future of teaching and research in the field, which is not what i want to do.

Smiling Assassin27
04-01-2011, 09:50 AM
important thing is we're headed in the right direction,let's just hope boehner doesn't screw it up.

Oddly, this all happened when Pelosi went bye bye. Boehner can't control highier energy costs for businesses. Nor can he control labor participation, which is still at 64%--meaning those benefitting from whatever jobs are being created are recently unemployed. Look for the correction, as per this administration's M.O. in a few days. He DID control the Bush tax cuts extension, however, and imagine what unemployment would look like had they not been extended. Take these numbers with a grain of salt, as this is April Fools Day, after all.

Let's print another trillion and we should have the unemployment rate down to 8.5% by December. Ha!

Meck77
04-01-2011, 09:51 AM
All this great news coming from our govt as they are about to vote to raise our debt ceiling. Think about that. Our govt is basically a credit card.

gunns
04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Barring the one-off hiring of census workers in 2010, it is four years since more than 150,000 jobs were created in two consecutive months.

I think this shows it's not just people dropping off unemployment. It's a start.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 09:54 AM
its too bad that the price of gas is going up just as more jobs are being created. add in the fact that these new jobs are not paying more money (wages are not going up), while on the other hand the cost of gas, food and clothing is going up, and the picture is still pretty bleak.

gunns
04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Charley Reese's final column for the Orlando Sentinel.

He has been a journalist for 49 years.
He is retiring and this is HIS LAST COLUMN.

Be sure to read the Tax List at the end.

This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, neither anti-republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel, has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!

545 vs. 300,000,000 People

By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't propose a federal budget. The President does.

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.

You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.

You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.

If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.

If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it's because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan ...

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

There are no insoluble government problems.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.

They, and they alone, have the power.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.

Provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees...

We should vote all of them out of office and clean up their mess!

Charlie Reese is a former columnist of the Orlando Sentinel Newspaper.

What you do with this article now that you have read it... is up to you.
This might be funny if it weren't so true.
Be sure to read all the way to the end:

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers;
Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gasoline Tax (currently 44.75 cents per gallon)
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
Telephone Federal Excise Tax
Telephone Federal Universal Service Fee Tax
Telephone Federal, State and Local Surcharge Taxes
Telephone Minimum Usage Surcharge Tax
Telephone Recurring and Nonrecurring Charges Tax
Telephone - State and Local Tax
Telephone Usage Charge Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle License Registration Tax
Vehicle Sales Tax
Watercraft Registration Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

peacepipe
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Oddly, this all happened when Pelosi went bye bye. Boehner can't control highier energy costs for businesses. Nor can he control labor participation, which is still at 64%--meaning those benefitting from whatever jobs are being created are recently unemployed. Look for the correction, as per this administration's M.O. in a few days. He DID control the Bush tax cuts extension, however, and imagine what unemployment would look like had they not been extended. Take these numbers with a grain of salt, as this is April Fools Day, after all.

Let's print another trillion and we should have the unemployment rate down to 8.5% by December. Ha!

we were headed in the right direction long before the elections. reps haven't done anything in anyway to take credit for this.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 10:12 AM

This is about as clear and easy to understand as it can be. The article below is completely neutral, neither anti-republican or democrat. Charlie Reese, a retired reporter for the Orlando Sentinel, has hit the nail directly on the head, defining clearly who it is that in the final analysis must assume responsibility for the judgments made that impact each one of us every day. It's a short but good read. Worth the time. Worth remembering!

By Charlie Reese

Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.

Have you ever wondered, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?

Have you ever wondered, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?

You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.

One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one President, and nine Supreme Court justices equates to 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.

I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.

I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a President to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.

Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.

What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The President can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.

The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? John Boehner. He is the leader of the majority party. He and fellow House members, not the President, can approve any budget they want. If the President vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.

It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million cannot replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.

If the Army & Marines are in Iraq and Afghanistan it's because they want them in Iraq and Afghanistan ...

If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.

Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.

They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses.

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle Sales Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

well said. I've been saying for a long, long, long time (this has been my consistent argument with posters here) that the problem IS THE FED GOV, It's run by these 545 and it makes all the policies.

My main contention is that these 545 just want to protect these 545 and they don't want to be accountable to the 300m people, they just want their slice of pie, which the Lobbyists guarantee them.

Get the people hooked on the government and their jobs are protected. Think about it. These are the elitists who run the country, and the sacrificial lambs are the states and the people.

When the fed gov is the largest employer than something is wrong, very wrong.

Something stinks in the state of Denmark and it's Washington DC.

SonOfLe-loLang
04-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Ummm, this was happening way before the 2010 elections. In fact, not much has really even changed since then. I think its laughable that you think the bush tax extension makes that much of a diff in UE. Corporations dont pay taxes anyway, just ask GE

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
04-01-2011, 10:20 AM
They're all mc-jobs.

Archer81
04-01-2011, 10:39 AM
we were headed in the right direction long before the elections. reps haven't done anything in anyway to take credit for this.

Uh huh.

9% unemployment and adding 1.5 tril to the deficit every year. We were doing SO well.

:Broncos:

peacepipe
04-01-2011, 11:51 AM
Uh huh.

9% unemployment and adding 1.5 tril to the deficit every year. We were doing SO well.

:Broncos:to think it could've been alot worse, were you foolish enough to think that GWBS mess was going to get fixed overnight..

peacepipe
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Ummm, this was happening way before the 2010 elections. In fact, not much has really even changed since then. I think its laughable that you think the bush tax extension makes that much of a diff in UE. Corporations dont pay taxes anyway, just ask GEthese tax cuts have been in place for over a decade,still waiting for all the jobs they were supposed to create.

tsiguy96
04-01-2011, 12:01 PM
these tax cuts have been in place for over a decade,still waiting for all the jobs they were supposed to create.

itll never happen, but as long as bush and his ultra rich buddies get to keep more of the money, its all ok man.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-01-2011, 12:02 PM
these tax cuts have been in place for over a decade,still waiting for all the jobs they were supposed to create.

Yeah, those terrible years in the middle of the last decade when umployment was under 5%.

I also seem to remember a promise that umemployment would not go over 8% if the stimulus was passed, weird now that we're celebrating it dropping just under 9% now.

Inkana7
04-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Yeah, those terrible years in the middle of the last decade when umployment was under 5%.

I also seem to remember a promise that umemployment would not go over 8% if the stimulus was passed, weird now that we're celebrating it dropping just under 9% now.

Not quite.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/09/eric-cantor/Cantor-and-other-republicans-say-obama-promised-s/

epicSocialism4tw
04-01-2011, 12:15 PM

It doesnt count underemployment either. Like those guys from the tech industries who have been looking for work for years now and have chosen to do things like work retail instead.

Inkana7
04-01-2011, 12:18 PM
It doesnt count underemployment either. Like those guys from the tech industries who have been looking for work for years now and have chosen to do things like work retail instead.

Completely, 100% accurate unemployment statistics would mean that the GOVERNMENT WOULD BE INTERFERING EVEN MORE IN OUR LIVES! LOSS OF FREEDOMS, MAN!

epicSocialism4tw
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Completely, 100% accurate unemployment statistics would mean that the GOVERNMENT WOULD BE INTERFERING EVEN MORE IN OUR LIVES! LOSS OF FREEDOMS, MAN!

Sorry, but anyone who has taken a macroeconomics course knows how employment statistics work. In economic recessions, underemployment is always an issue.

ColoradoDarin
04-01-2011, 12:20 PM
One bright note: the Household survey data tells us that we added 291,000 jobs last month!! But here's the dampener: 290,000 of them were part-time jobs.

Hercules Rockefeller
04-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Not quite.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/jul/09/eric-cantor/Cantor-and-other-republicans-say-obama-promised-s/

So they make the claim (which they did with the graph) and then 6 months later say just can't really do economic forecasting like that?

I stand by statement. Don't claim unemployment won't go above 8% and then try to cya after the fact when reality has proven you wrong.

Edit: calling it a "projection" as a cya tactic is a cop out. Don't try to sell a bill as something to prevent unemployment from going to a certain point, and then later claim you didn't have all the data.

TonyR
04-01-2011, 12:27 PM
...He DID control the Bush tax cuts extension, however, and imagine what unemployment would look like had they not been extended.

I'd be curious to see if you, or anyone, could demonstrate that there would be a negligible difference either way.

ColoradoDarin
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
So they make the claim (which they did with the graph) and then 6 months later say just can't really do economic forecasting like that?

I stand by statement. Don't claim unemployment won't go above 8% and then try to cya after the fact when reality has proven you wrong.

Edit: calling it a "projection" as a cya tactic is a cop out. Don't try to sell a bill as something to prevent unemployment from going to a certain point, and then later claim you didn't have all the data.

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/Stimulus-vs-unemployment-March-2011.gif

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
There's a lot of way overqualified people out there working at jobs meant for people with only a high school education or a GED. That's not a good thing...

When a person with a masters is competing against a person with a GED for the same lousy job, then all that does is put the person with a GED out on the street.

The person with the masters who is doing the $11.00/hr job is also in debt up to his/her nose, probably can't make their mortgage payment, nor their school loan payment either. Forget about this person having any extra income to spend on things like cars, new clothes, entertainment, vacations, ipods, etc... at most, this person is trying to get out of debt. And who does this person owe their money too again--oh yah, the banks.

Great.

Now, the fed reserve decides to print more money, which decreases the value of the dollar. Add to that the fact that gas prices will probably hit an all time high this coming summer, and the cost of food and clothing is going up, plus the cost of energy to heat or cool you home and well, yah...

ColoradoDarin
04-01-2011, 12:35 PM

We are and we aren't.

Total inflation has remained mostly flat, but the bulk of that is due to the decline in housing. Ex-housing, prices for food and energy are way up. It hits people who are still making the same mortgage payments as before and now have to deal with higher pump and grocery prices. Weird way for the government to calculate it, but the same goes for the U3 unemployment number. I really think the Fed should probably be raising rates already.

peacepipe
04-01-2011, 12:36 PM

I also seem to remember a promise that umemployment would not go over 8% if the stimulus was passed, weird now that we're celebrating it dropping just under 9% now.I know,when GWBS got elected unemployment was 4.2% and it was 7.7% when he left. all the while his tax cuts are in place. don't kid yourself. which still leaves to question, where are those jobs the tax cuts were suppose to create?

TonyR
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
There's a lot of way overqualified people out there working at jobs meant for people with only a high school education or a GED. That's not a good thing...

No it's not. I think that "full employment" is now going to mean ~8% unemployment for now and into the forseeable future. Increased efficiencies, loss of manufacturing jobs, and outsourcing, among other culprits. It's going to take fundamental change to fix this. It's not Bush's fault and it's not Obama's fault. It's bigger than that.

DarkHorse30
04-01-2011, 01:11 PM
tax the rich.....until you don't have anymore.....than.....uh.....blame somebody else.....especially the last president, even though he doesn't make the laws that got us into this mess, Pelosi, Frank, Dodd and the other "cradle to gravers" did.

NUB
04-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Apple sends a significant number of jobs (up to 40,000) over to China to save what amounts to about five to six dollars on the iPhone. This is just one example of many where jobs have shifted elsewhere to save what amounts to very little. Sure, the companies get that extra edge, but it sure as hell does not help the country. A lot of people argue that a company has to satisfy its shareholders without realizing many of these shareholders are wealthy foreigners (note that a solid number of "American" companies no longer base their headquarters in the U.S.). There is a reason why some believe that the wealthiest of the wealthy are largely disconnecting from their nations. They relate with one another, not their fellow countrymen. These are multinational companies. They could care less about what is going on in their homelands and it shows.

Inkana7
04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
tax the rich.....until you don't have anymore.....than.....uh.....blame somebody else.....especially the last president, even though he doesn't make the laws that got us into this mess, Pelosi, Frank, Dodd and the other "cradle to gravers" did.

Clearly we need to cut the taxes of the rich in this count--oh wait.

peacepipe
04-01-2011, 01:18 PM
tax the rich.....until you don't have anymore.....than.....uh.....blame somebody else.....especially the last president, even though he doesn't make the laws that got us into this mess, Pelosi, Frank, Dodd and the other "cradle to gravers" did.what? what laws did pelosi pass that bush signed into law?

Kaylore
04-01-2011, 01:28 PM

I know it can seem negative, but it's just reality. Manufacturing and other sectors aren't recovering. There isn't supposed to be real recovery for another year or so. I hope things improve, but I think most of us aren't seeing it yet and haven't seen any symptoms of it.

tsiguy96
04-01-2011, 01:31 PM
can someone explain to me why people who are not rich, ie 95% of the country, can in any way supporting cutting the taxes of those that are, just so we have to pick up the burden and they get to live an even more lavish lifestyle?

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Apple sends a significant number of jobs (up to 40,000) over to China to save what amounts to about five to six dollars on the iPhone. This is just one example of many where jobs have shifted elsewhere to save what amounts to very little. Sure, the companies get that extra edge, but it sure as hell does not help the country. A lot of people argue that a company has to satisfy its shareholders without realizing many of these shareholders are wealthy foreigners (note that a solid number of "American" companies no longer base their headquarters in the U.S.). There is a reason why some believe that the wealthiest of the wealthy are largely disconnecting from their nations. They relate with one another, not their fellow countrymen. These are multinational companies. They could care less about what is going on in their homelands and it shows.

QFT

ColoradoDarin
04-01-2011, 04:09 PM

What's ironic is that Apple is, collectively shall we say, on the liberal end of the spectrum. A company like Koch (Georgia-Pacific), which is Libertarian, is doing everything they can to keep good jobs here in America - so much so that the USW (United Steelworkers) released a statement saying as much. At least Koch is privately held, so they don't have to worry about making their Street number every quarter.

peacepipe
04-01-2011, 04:32 PM
What's ironic is that Apple is, collectively shall we say, on the liberal end of the spectrum. A company like Koch (Georgia-Pacific), which is Libertarian, is doing everything they can to keep good jobs here in America - so much so that the USW (United Steelworkers) released a statement saying as much. At least Koch is privately held, so they don't have to worry about making their Street number every quarter.

http://blog.usw.org/2011/03/30/a-well-intentioned-bad-idea/

Arkie
04-01-2011, 04:35 PM
well said. I've been saying for a long, long, long time (this has been my consistent argument with posters here) that the problem IS THE FED GOV, It's run by these 545 and it makes all the policies.

My main contention is that these 545 just want to protect these 545 and they don't want to be accountable to the 300m people, they just want their slice of pie, which the Lobbyists guarantee them.

Get the people hooked on the government and their jobs are protected. Think about it. These are the elitists who run the country, and the sacrificial lambs are the states and the people.

When the fed gov is the largest employer than something is wrong, very wrong.

Something stinks in the state of Denmark and it's Washington DC.

It's 544 and Ron Paul.

ColoradoDarin
04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
It's 544 and Ron Paul.

543 + Ron & Rand

cutthemdown
04-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Wow the tax cut extension and the promised new cuts from the new house really working!

mhgaffney
04-01-2011, 07:50 PM
The "good news" is a wash.

They stopped counting the people who have given up looking for work.

broncocalijohn
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM

If not, then what is up with prices going up in the grocery market? They dont consider oil prices part of inflation but that heads down to prices that we use everyday. Im happy with the report but there is a long way to go and there are the cronic unemployed that still needs to be dealt with here. I hope my state of the Left Coast gets their **** together but when you strive to drive jobs from the state, it is a tough road ahead.

Hamrob
04-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm just glad we decided to spend billions to attack Libya! Great call guys!

Look, I'm conservative...but, when you have a 3 trillion dollar deficit...you concentrate on your own backyard...and **** the rest of the world.

Let the God Damn Chinese save the world!!!

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 10:13 PM

Look, I'm conservative...but, when you have a 3 trillion dollar deficit...you concentrate on your own backyard...and **** the rest of the world.

that's all nice "you're a conservative" but I'm of the opinion that I really can't distinquish between a conservative and a liberal. who is protecting who? imho I'm on the outside looking in and I don't like what I see...

broncocalijohn
04-01-2011, 10:28 PM

I am with you on this one. Didnt like the Iraq war and especially this involvement. Where does it stop? We have a chance to cut this deficit and there goes some more billions for Libya. I dont say **** the world but we have to figure out the priorities here. Getting people back to work and not more jobs in the public sector is positive news. So much more work to be had though.

Tombstone RJ
04-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I am with you on this one. Didnt like the Iraq war and especially this involvement. Where does it stop? We have a chance to cut this deficit and there goes some more billions for Libya. I dont say **** the world but we have to figure out the priorities here. Getting people back to work and not more jobs in the public sector is positive news. So much more work to be had though.

calm down dude... what did you expect? is there a person of integrity alive today that could walk into WDC, a relative unkown in American politics, and get anything done without the establishment's permission? what is so sad is that the liberal agenda believed the hype. Obama came rolling in on a red carpet and immedialely payed his cronies. then he enlarged the governement, increased entitlements (or gave it a helava try) and weakend the dollar. wow, so glad he's the answer... I feel better now, after all, he's on my side...

baja
04-01-2011, 11:23 PM

What's scary is they always tell things are looking up when the know the shiit is about to hit the fan. Every Falling Empire has done the same throughout history.

broncocalijohn
04-02-2011, 12:18 AM
calm down dude... what did you expect? is there a person of integrity alive today that could walk into WDC, a relative unkown in American politics, and get anything done without the establishment's permission? what is so sad is that the liberal agenda believed the hype. Obama came rolling in on a red carpet and immedialely payed his cronies. then he enlarged the governement, increased entitlements (or gave it a helava try) and weakend the dollar. wow, so glad he's the answer... I feel better now, after all, he's on my side...

I think guys like Rand Paul are probably the closest to walking to their own beat. I want a president that is pissed off at both parties and call it as he sees it. I want someone to call out the Repubs that backed Bush on some ****ed up **** that is killing us now. As for calming down, where did I show I was somehow pissed in my post?

TomServo
04-02-2011, 02:22 AM
unemployment down? as apposed to the president bush days? O yay! O, i forgot we have to "Favor" the obama unemployment #s

TomServo
04-02-2011, 02:30 AM
Know sho Mo has never been a Bronco to me

TomServo
04-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Gimme Sammy (
MudWalk) Winder before Knowshon

tsiguy96
04-02-2011, 06:09 AM
Know sho Mo has never been a Bronco to me

weird, nfl.com says differently.

rugbythug
04-02-2011, 07:28 AM

The elections did improve confidence. A one party govt is bad.

TailgateNut
04-02-2011, 09:27 AM

By Charlie Reese

Tax his land,
Tax his bed,
Tax the table,
At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
Tax his mule,
Teach him taxes
Are the rule.

Tax his work,
Tax his pay,
He works for
peanuts anyway!

Tax his cow,
Tax his goat,
Tax his pants,
Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
Tax his shirt,
Tax his work,
Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
Tax his drink,
Tax him if he
Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
Tax his beers,
If he cries
Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
Tax his gas,
Find other ways
To tax his ass.

Tax all he has
Then let him know
That you won't be done
Till he has no dough.

Then tax him some more,
Tax him till
He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
Tax his grave,
Tax the sod in
Which he's laid...

Put these words
Upon his tomb,
'Taxes drove me
to my doom...'

When he's gone,
Do not relax,
Its time to apply
The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
Building Permit Tax
CDL license Tax
Cigarette Tax
Corporate Income Tax
Dog License Tax
Excise Taxes
Federal Income Tax
Fishing License Tax
Food License Tax
Fuel Permit Tax
Gross Receipts Tax
Hunting License Tax
Inheritance Tax
Inventory Tax
Liquor Tax
Luxury Taxes
Marriage License Tax
Medicare Tax
Personal Property Tax
Property Tax
Real Estate Tax
Service Charge Tax
Social Security Tax
Road Usage Tax
Recreational Vehicle Tax
Sales Tax
School Tax
State Income Tax
Utility Taxes
Vehicle Sales Tax
Well Permit Tax
Workers Compensation Tax

I know, for a fact that I "contribute" to, at least, 33 of those listed. YIKES!

Tombstone RJ
04-02-2011, 10:38 AM
I think guys like Rand Paul are probably the closest to walking to their own beat. I want a president that is pissed off at both parties and call it as he sees it. I want someone to call out the Repubs that backed Bush on some ****ed up **** that is killing us now. As for calming down, where did I show I was somehow pissed in my post?

I misread your post, I thought you said **** the world... my bad.

Broncojef
04-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Diversionary tactic, focus on my war not the
terrible economy or anything else the dems
are running in the ground. This crew knows
elections are coming and don't want anyone
focused on real issues. Gives the MSM
something new to kiss barrys butt on so
they don't have to ask any hard questions.
Easy to say there is no infalation or high unemployment
when you control the equation and the media
outside of fox won't report on real issues or
hold feet to the fire.

TailgateNut
04-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Diversionary tactic, focus on my war not the
terrible economy or anything else the dems
are running in the ground. This crew knows
elections are coming and don't want anyone
focused on real issues. Gives the MSM
something new to kiss barrys butt on so
they don't have to ask any hard questions.
Easy to say there is no infalation or high unemployment
when you control the equation and the media
outside of fox won't report on real issues or
hold feet to the fire.

LOL

TonyR
04-02-2011, 02:55 PM
...the media outside of fox won't report on real issues or hold feet to the fire.

If you watched/listened to/read media outside of Fox News you'd know this isn't true.

Speaking of Fox News, did you hear what Rand Paul said?

Paul also had some tough words for FOX News.

"There's a big debate over there," he said. "Fox News can't decide, what do they love more, bombing the Middle East or bashing the president? It's like I was over there and there was an anchor going, they were pleading, can't we do both? Can't we bomb the Middle East and bash the president at the same time? How are we going to make this work?"

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/rand-paul-zings-newt-gingrich-fox-news-for-libya-flip-flops.php#

epicSocialism4tw
04-02-2011, 03:24 PM
If you watched/listened to/read media outside of Fox News you'd know this isn't true.

Speaking of Fox News, did you hear what Rand Paul said?

Paul also had some tough words for FOX News.

"There's a big debate over there," he said. "Fox News can't decide, what do they love more, bombing the Middle East or bashing the president? It's like I was over there and there was an anchor going, they were pleading, can't we do both? Can't we bomb the Middle East and bash the president at the same time? How are we going to make this work?"

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/03/rand-paul-zings-newt-gingrich-fox-news-for-libya-flip-flops.php#

Fox News is no different from any of the left's myriad of propagand outlets: NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, the NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times, etc, etc, etc, and that's before you get to the more marginal hard-core extremist left outlets like MSNBC, Huffington Post, Daily Kos, etc.

Chris
04-02-2011, 03:39 PM
http://www.buzzardblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/puritan.jpg

Welcome to America.

TonyR
04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Fox News is no different from any of the left's myriad of propagand outlets: NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN, the NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times, etc, etc, etc,...

Fox is different from those other news outlets. They're not "propaganda outlets" in nearly the same manner, or to nearly the same degree, as Fox News. It's not even close and it's really not even debatable.

baja
04-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Fox is different from those other news outlets. They're not "propaganda outlets" in nearly the same manner, or to nearly the same degree, as Fox News. It's not even close and it's really not even debatable.

...and anyone who believes otherwise is blinded by their own views.

I will say MSNBC is a near second to Fox on the propaganda charts only from the left but are more middle of the road now that Keith Oberman has left.

Boomhauer
04-02-2011, 07:07 PM
Unemployement and underemployement was little changed in March. People permanetly unemployed, refered to as discouraged or marginally, has actually gone up in the last year. Total unemployement plus underemployement is often combined for a complete guage of the workforce. In 2007 it was 8.7% with the highest recorded being the first month that figure was tracked in Jan'94 at 11.8%. Over the last three years it has been:
March'09 = 15.8% , March'10 = 17.5% , March'11 = 16.2%

Still worse off now than when Little-O took office and at a cost of trillions. At this rate of improvement, it'll be 2014 by the time we're at '94 levels and NewYears 2017 by the time we're back to 2007 levels. Nice, but not exactly a roaring economy either.

From Bureau of Labor Statistics, March 2011 release (pdf)
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
Unemployed: March'10 = 10.2% , March'11 = 9.2% Actively seeking
Seasonal adjusted: Mar'10 = 9.7% , Mar'11 = 8.8% Claimed Figure
Total unemployed: Mar'10 = 11.5% , Mar'11 = 10.6% Total Figure
Underemployed: Mar'10 = 6.0% , Mar'11 = 5.6% Often added to total

...and there's also this issue:
More Americans work for the government than in manufacturing, farming, fishing, forestry, mining and utilities combined..
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704050204576219073867182108.html

Tombstone RJ
04-02-2011, 07:44 PM

whatever. fact is the other media outlets hate Fox News because it's wildly successful and taking a huge audience share. The left wing media loves to point out how Fox News is so bad simply because the lefty liberal agenda now has competition.

If ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, etc. had actually been somewhate balanced in their reporting, that is, at least acknowledge the conservative opinions that are representative of the vast majority of Americans, they would have never had to compete with Fox.

IMHO, Fox is nothing more than a huge media conglomerate cashing in on what the other huge media conglomerates missed out on--a conservative or "Republican" leaning audience.

Those on this site who bash Fox for beating the lefty liberal media at their own game are the morons.

baja
04-02-2011, 07:48 PM
whatever. fact is the other media outlets hate Fox News because it's wildly successful and taking a huge audience share. The left wing media loves to point out how Fox News is so bad simply because the lefty liberal agenda now has competition.

If ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, etc. had actually been somewhate balanced in their reporting, that is, at least acknowledge the conservative opinions that are representative of the vast majority of Americans, they would have never had to compete with Fox.

<b>IMHO, Fox is nothing more than a huge media conglomerate cashing in on what the other huge media conglomerates missed out on--a conservative or "Republican" leaning audience.</b>

Those on this site who bash Fox for beating the lefty liberal media at their own game are the morons.

You mean the fair and balanced network?

Tombstone RJ
04-02-2011, 07:54 PM
You mean the fair and balanced network?

if you have CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, NYT, WASHPOST, etc. all on one side of the scale and Fox News on the other side of the scale, I guess there is a certain balance to that...

It's just so ironic that some posters here who live and die by the huffington post refuse to acknowlegde their own bias.

baja
04-02-2011, 08:00 PM
if you have CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, NYT, WASHPOST, etc. all on one side of the scale and Fox News on the other side of the scale, I guess there is a certain balance to that...

<b>It's just so ironic that some posters here who live and die by the huffington post refuse to acknowlegde their own bias.

I'll give ya that.

enjolras
04-02-2011, 08:00 PM
I've yet to see CNN or the Washington Post fabricate news quite at the level that Fox News does.... even if it has a slant, Fox just makes it up as they go.

I'm quite biased of course, I worked for Rupert for a few months.... never again.

Chris
04-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Rupert Murdoch has tried to push a far right agenda in every territory. The only place it has worked is in the US where there is a large conservative population that is significantly further right than the global centre. The traditional outlets (not huff post, msnbc or even the nyt which I think has lost its objectivity) in my opinion are reporting objectively which to your average conservative American looks left wing relative to their position. I suspect your fathers weren't complaining about this in the 60s, 70s and 80s... none of this demonisation would be present in the national mindset were it not for the emergence of outlets like Fox and conservative radio that have given huge platforms to the far right.

DarkHorse30
04-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Rupert Murdoch has tried to push a far right agenda in every territory. The only place it has worked is in the US where there is a large conservative population that is significantly further right than the global centre. The traditional outlets (not huff post, msnbc or even the nyt which I think has lost its objectivity) in my opinion are reporting objectively which to your average conservative American looks left wing relative to their position. I suspect your fathers weren't complaining about this in the 60s, 70s and 80s... none of this demonisation would be present in the national mindset were it not for the emergence of outlets like Fox and conservative radio that have given huge platforms to the far right.

Huge platforms? Like.....um.....less government, less tax and more freedom?

I laugh at the left. They got punked in the last election, their big contribution during Pelosi's recession was a massive healthcare takeover that NOBODY wanted, and has been declared VOID. It's the economy, stupid. Drill baby, drill, and this ship gets turned around faster than he could imagine. Gas prices go down, jobs materialize out of nowhere and we can all go back to wondering what to HAVE for dinner instead of wondering what's left in the pantry.

enjolras
04-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Huge platforms? Like.....um.....less government, less tax and more freedom?

My entire adult life has been dominated by GOP politics... I see:

* More people in prison (per-capita) in the United States than any other country for which there is data, and it's by a LARGE margin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_incarceration_rate

* Freedom for who exactly? The GOP here in Colorado just killed a widely supported civil union bill.

* What does less government mean? The GOP consistently sides with business interests over consumer interests. http://www.dailytech.com/NC+Republicans+Fight+to+Ban+Municipal+Internet+Ser vices/article21161.htm

* Under GOP administrations we've seen the largest expansions of the military industrial complex in human history. In all of the current posturing, the Republicans continue to hold the military budget as sacrosanct.

* Ideological deregulation has in many cases led to less efficient markets, leading Americans to pay far more for basic services (and receiving less) than those in other countries often do. Look at telecom for one instance. Were on the cusp of another regulatory fight over access to broadband and how internet traffic is shaped. Our conservative leaning lawmakers recently approved a massive merger between NBC and Comcast that puts control over a ton of content in the hands of those responsible for delivering it. It signals the death of any hope for net neturality (which naturally requires government playing the role of referee). Instaed we'll be left with yet again paying more and receiving less in return. The end result of which is the continued concentration of more and more wealth in the hands of fewer and fewer folks.

So lets cut out the platitudes and look at the data.

Now don't take this to mean that I'm in love with the alternative. I'm a moderate liberatarian at heart. I believe in limited government, but with a strong regulatory role (Adam Smith, interestingly, would agree with me).

* I believe in social freedom. We shouldn't be telling people how to live their lives just because we have some arbitrary moral objection to it.

* I believe that the role of government isn't to grant authority to an ever-expanding police force with impunity to abuse citizens as they see fit.

* I believe that government should serve as an arbiter between the ever complex interests of the business community and the consumers they serve. Sometimes, we the people should win.

* I believe in a limited military that protects our interests at home, and only intervenes overseas when the need is truly dire. We're slowly collapsing not under the burden of NPR or NASA, but under the weight of the worlds largest military (by far).

That doesn't make me a Democrat by a long shot. I generally vote Democrat, because I find the alternative to be so incredibly distateful. Today the GOP is mean, full of hubris, and openly hostile to the very people they are supposed to represent. So much of the aggressive and hate filled rhetoric that I see on a daily basis seems to generally come from one direction.

So lets not talk about freedom or taxes. Lets talk about the utter failure of the GOP to live up to those things that you claim to support. Until we can all agree on that things simply won't get better. As long as we put Palin, Bachman, Beck, and O'Reilly as the mouthpieces for your movement... you don't get to claim freedom or much of anything sane really.

Give me a GOP that builds people up instead of tearing everyone down at every opportunity, and then you'll have my ear. Until then.. screw everything about that party.

broncocalijohn
04-02-2011, 10:36 PM

Oh no! Never media biased in the 80s. I mean CBS never exchanged an AK 47 with a rifle because the watermelon they showed shot at didnt give enough explosion with the AK 47. Media bias before the 90s? Oh never!

AZorange1
04-03-2011, 01:08 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12935003

What good news this. I can't wait to tell my 47-year old chronically un-employed lazy ass nephew that there is hope. Why, he may even want to pick up a newspaper and look at the classified section. (as long as it dosen't interfere with cartoons or Hanna Montana shows. (don't ask) It will be three years next month since he has worked. Mommie (my sister) still makes sure he has beer in the fridge though. I am delighted to say that after two years of this, I am glad to report that I have given them 60 days to get their own place. What worked so well is that I do a bit of property managment and I have signed them to a 1-year lease in their own apartment. ^5 Now, I will no longer have to watch him spend 1 hour making a grilled cheese sandwich and somehow managing to use the oven, two burners on the stove, the micro-wave, run the water in the sink for 12 minutes and leave the fridge door open fo 5 minutes in order to do this. And when the light is just right in the kitchen, he looks exactly like the alien that came out of the spaceship on Close Encounters. 6'3" and has arms like little pencils (the direct result of 100% in-activity for 3 years other than pushing buttons on a remote and lifting a beer.):strong: He'll be so excited that he may even want to go get his first drivers license. Wait, he has no car, just a bicycle.

TailgateNut
04-03-2011, 05:14 AM
I know for a fact that I've been hiring the last few weeks and will continue to do so until we triple our current workforce. The forecast for "our industry" is a 35% growth over the next decade. I have already re-employed all of those employees who we had to lay off during the stagnated economy the last two years and still don't have enough people to fill all of the positions available.

ColoradoDarin
04-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Oh no! Never media biased in the 80s. I mean CBS never exchanged an AK 47 with a rifle because the watermelon they showed shot at didnt give enough explosion with the AK 47. Media bias before the 90s? Oh never!

You don't even have to go back that far. Dan Rather in 2004 with the made up memos - Rathergate - got himself canned over it.

DarkHorse30
04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I like the Tea Party better than the GOP, and so do a lot of people. Why? Because the GOP was weak with old washington people (I would venture that the DNC is also weak with old bureaucrats). John McCain is our nominee? No wonder 57 won. Reminds me of when it was Bob Dole's "turn" to run.

George H W Bush as Veep was Reagan's biggest mistake. He is a moderate republican and his son is the same way. I wasn't happy with Bush's decision to let Edward Kennedy write the Education Bill, right after his election. The budget increase was riciculous and Bush had a real tough time saying no to any bill. Not great, IMO, but he did what he said he was going to do.....which he called "compassionate conservatism". I call it bending over and grabbing your ankles for the dems who want more funding for more gov't programs.

Then, Bush's biggest mistake at the end of his presidency was signing the TARP bill. It paved the way for 57 to keep throwing all kinds of money at things and not expecting any payback. HAMP was supposed to help 3-4M people retain their homes and has only succeeded in helping 630k, if that.

Then came 57's legacy.....Obamacare. How do you piss off half of the country with a 2000 page monstrosity that nobody wants, while energizing the opposition and helping the Tea Party take back the GOP from the bureaucrats? 57 might actually get to take credit for kicking the GOP back into gear, while sinking his own party.

As for the GOP, no party is perfect. It's like trying to find your perfect church, you never will. They all have some things you will disagree with. Thus far, less taxes, less gov't and a strong military are the only things I care for MY US gov't to do. Leave the rest to the people to handle.

baja
04-03-2011, 01:05 PM
I actually think Dole would have made a good president

tsiguy96
04-03-2011, 01:11 PM
As for the GOP, no party is perfect. It's like trying to find your perfect church, you never will. They all have some things you will disagree with. Thus far, less taxes, less gov't and a strong military are the only things I care for MY US gov't to do. Leave the rest to the people to handle.

sad that even most real republicans dont see it that way.

broncocalijohn
04-03-2011, 03:10 PM
You don't even have to go back that far. Dan Rather in 2004 with the made up memos - Rathergate - got himself canned over it.

I had to go that far back because he said no made up stories on the left happened before the 90s. I gave him one.

Boomhauer
04-03-2011, 04:00 PM
I know for a fact that I've been hiring the last few weeks and will continue to do so until we triple our current workforce. The forecast for "our industry" is a 35% growth over the next decade. I have already re-employed all of those employees who we had to lay off during the stagnated economy the last two years and still don't have enough people to fill all of the positions available.

http://www.winwhale.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/opulence-motivational-poster1.jpg
Last month created 24,000 jobs more than March 2010. Weak numbers still and the jobs created are Obama/Reagan trickle down instead of last years failed Obama/Roosovelt new deal. Economic growth is dependant on recovery of the middle class, production and consumers, but for average Americans jobs were basically flat. For the middle class leaches working public sector, they're in the red 74,000 jobs compared to March 2010.
From the same Labor Dept report mentioned earlier:

**Professional Services: Mar'10 = lost25,000 - Mar'11 = add80,000
(finacial/info/business and includes 29k temps last month)

**Goods Production: Mar'10 = 34,000 - Mar'11 = 31,000
(construction/auto/mining/logging/manufacture)
**Direct Consumer: Mar'10 = 65,700 - Mar'11 = 68,100
(retail/liesure/hospitality/wholsale/trans/wrhouse)

**Health and Social care: Mar'10 = 43,300 - Mar'11 = 44,500
**Education and Gov: Mar'10 = 60,700 - Mar'11 = lost13,500

~Crash~
04-03-2011, 04:31 PM
same old **** ...this country is a **** hole l. and you jack wads talk politics ... to all you ass hats that talk like a suit kiss my ass.....

TailgateNut
04-03-2011, 04:33 PM
http://www.winwhale.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/opulence-motivational-poster1.jpg
Last month created 24,000 jobs more than March 2010. Weak numbers still and the jobs created are Obama/Reagan trickle down instead of last years failed Obama/Roosovelt new deal. Economic growth is dependant on recovery of the middle class, production and consumers, but for average Americans jobs were basically flat. For the middle class leaches working public sector, they're in the red 74,000 jobs compared to March 2010.
From the same Labor Dept report mentioned earlier:

**Professional Services: Mar'10 = lost25,000 - Mar'11 = add80,000
(finacial/info/business and includes 29k temps last month)

**Goods Production: Mar'10 = 34,000 - Mar'11 = 31,000
(construction/auto/mining/logging/manufacture)
**Direct Consumer: Mar'10 = 65,700 - Mar'11 = 68,100
(retail/liesure/hospitality/wholsale/trans/wrhouse)

**Health and Social care: Mar'10 = 43,300 - Mar'11 = 44,500
**Education and Gov: Mar'10 = 60,700 - Mar'11 = lost13,500

Hey REDNECK, maybe you should give credit/ reference the person/ entity who created the report you posted. We all know you don't have the brain power to come up with anything which would require an IQ higher than that of a caveman.

Boomhauer
04-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Hey REDNECK, maybe you should give credit/ reference the person/ entity who created the report you posted. We all know you don't have the brain power to come up with anything which would require an IQ higher than that of a caveman.

I did and included the pdf link, retard. You'd know that if you'd ever learned to read.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/8/82170/1544997-doublefacepalm_super.jpg

enjolras
04-03-2011, 05:56 PM

That's a fascinating set of priorities. What about roads? What about education? What about sewers and infrastructure? Who builds the bridges? What about transit systems to move people around cities?

Yet you want less taxes and less government but a "strong military"? You know the one thing that constitues 1/3rd of the budget? You can't have "less taxes" and "less government" by cutting NPR. You can have a historically giant military or you can have less taxes.

How do you reconcile the two?

DarkHorse30
04-03-2011, 07:24 PM
That's a fascinating set of priorities. What about roads? What about education? What about sewers and infrastructure? Who builds the bridges? What about transit systems to move people around cities?

Yet you want less taxes and less government but a "strong military"? You know the one thing that constitues 1/3rd of the budget? You can't have "less taxes" and "less government" by cutting NPR. You can have a historically giant military or you can have less taxes.

By cutting social programs it had no business trying in the first place. It will take a HUGE cutback to get the books in order, but it has to be done.

I would also say that funds for education should be ratioed. Higher education costs must be lowered.....maybe the gov't could step in there. I would laugh my ass off if Obama signed a "lower college tuition....for the children" bill. I'm not talking about "providing" higher education by the gov't, but LOWERING the price by law.....kinda like controlling milk prices.

The Gov't should protect it's borders, provide law and order, and provide a military for defense. Anything beyond that should be voted on, I don't want those overpaid lawyer-types writing any more 2000 page bills that I have to pay for.

Play2win
04-03-2011, 07:28 PM

Education should be the 1st priority, then the infrastructure, then the rest.

HAT
04-03-2011, 07:45 PM

He said......."US Gov't....Leave the rest to the people to handle"

"The people", meaning the states, counties & cities, are perfectly capable of handling the issues you listed above.

Arkie
04-03-2011, 08:22 PM

That should be left up to the states or cities.

Missouribronc
04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
That should be left up to the states or cities.

A novel concept.

Props. Rep.