PDA

View Full Version : Official 2011 Major League Baseball Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Karenin
06-23-2011, 08:09 AM
Btw, which team has the better record and is leading their division? Yeah thats what I thought, get the **** out of here, CLOWN!!!!!

How much money do you want to bet that the Indians will finish with a better record than the Rockies? I'm willing to put up to $15k on the Rockies, escrow obviously required. Put your money where your fat mouth is, clown.

Hogan11
06-23-2011, 09:07 AM
I like the Pirates chances against the Red Sox @ home. It'll be great if they took the series just to see those slugs on ESPN and the MLB Network squirm again. When the Bucs took the series against the Phillies earlier this season, those networks provided some high comedy for me for a night.....I thought they were going to fly the flag at half mast in Bristol Ha!

Karenin
06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
I like the Pirates chances against the Red Sox

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/9/9e/HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

strafen
06-23-2011, 09:53 AM
I like the Pirates chances against the Red Sox @ home. It'll be great if they took the series just to see those slugs on ESPN and the MLB Network squirm again. When the Bucs took the series against the Phillies earlier this season, those networks provided some high comedy for me for a night.....I thought they were going to fly the flag at half mast in Bristol Ha!You're not serious, are you? Ha!

Pendejo
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
You're not serious, are you? Ha!

Why not? The Madres just took a series in Boston and they're terrible this year. In fact after getting trounced in the first game the Padres' pitching made Boston's offense look pedestrian.

Beantown Bronco
06-23-2011, 10:25 AM
Why not? The Madres just took a series in Boston and they're terrible this year. In fact after getting trounced in the first game the Padres' pitching made Boston's offense look pedestrian.

Pedestrian? The Sox only had one fewer hit (13) in game two than game one when they scored 14 freaking runs. Add in another 10 hits in yesterday's rain-shortened game.

And the Pirates won't be facing current cupcakes Aceves and Lackey.

Hogan11
06-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Absolutely. Add in the fact that the Bucs have been very successful against the AL @ home this season. They just can't beat an AL team on the road.

It's all good though, they laughed @ the Bucs against teams like the Phillies, Giants, Cards, Reds et. al. and outside of the MFing Brewers, the Bucs took all those series.

I like their chances and I love to see the large market lovers at the networks stumble over themselves trying to explain the Pirates success against those clubs away.......Bring them on.

TonyR
06-23-2011, 10:56 AM
I like the Pirates chances against the Red Sox @ home.

I despise the Red Sox but you're going to see Lester, Beckett, and Wakefield. If you see the "good" Wakefield you likely get swept. Hope I'm wrong.

Karenin
06-23-2011, 11:24 AM
shhhh let him live in his fantasyland where the Pirates are a good team, the ownership actually wants to win and they're always one year away from contending.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I wonder how much longer Tim Wakefield will pitch?

4-2 with a 4.26 ERA....decent enough to stick in a rotation.

He will turn 45 years old in August.

He gets little wear and tear on his arm throwing those knuckleballs.

He is rolling up on 200 wins, with 197 right now.

I think it would be sweet if he pitched until he was 50, but it's more likely he will pitch another year or two and then retire.

Beantown Bronco
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say one more year. He's literally been my favorite player in all of baseball since his days with the Pirates. It'll be tough to see him go.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 11:33 AM
I hope he sticks around for a few more years.

I enjoy watching knuckleball pitchers ply their trade.

SouthStndJunkie
06-23-2011, 11:34 AM
If he was willing to start for another year and then eat up innings for a team in a middle relief role, he could stick around a while, but I don't think he wants to do that simply to keep playing.

Pendejo
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Pedestrian? The Sox only had one fewer hit (13) in game two than game one when they scored 14 freaking runs. Add in another 10 hits in yesterday's rain-shortened game.

And the Pirates won't be facing current cupcakes Aceves and Lackey.

They had tons of punch and judy hits in the series...you can't deny that. They still didn't score. They had nothing for Latos until an Orlando Hudson brain fart (I think he's been awful this year.), and every time they thought they had Richard figured out they went back to the dugout wondering why they couldn't put any runs up.

The Red Sox offense looked the part in game one, but was neutered in games two and three by Madres pitching.

strafen
06-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Why not? The Madres just took a series in Boston and they're terrible this year. In fact after getting trounced in the first game the Padres' pitching made Boston's offense look pedestrian.Are you serious?
Yeah, SD took the series, and that's the extent of any truth involved in your statement.
The Red Sox has the 2nd best record in all baseball to the Phillies.
We're leading the AL East division after starting the season 2-10 or may have even been worse than that, just off the top of my head.
Our offense pedestrian?
We've been killing teams, in fact, we've scored something like 28 runs in two games combined last week, and we've routinely put 10+runs on teams this year. I would go on a limb and say we have the highest scoring team in the league, if not, amongst the top in the majors for sure. :~ohyah!:

Pendejo
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Absolutely. Add in the fact that the Bucs have been very successful against the AL @ home this season. They just can't beat an AL team on the road.

It's all good though, they laughed @ the Bucs against teams like the Phillies, Giants, Cards, Reds et. al. and outside of the MFing Brewers, the Bucs took all those series.

I like their chances and I love to see the large market lovers at the networks stumble over themselves trying to explain the Pirates success against those clubs away.......Bring them on.

At this point I'm just thrilled any time the Madres can win more than one in a row.

FADERPROOF
06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
How much money do you want to bet that the Indians will finish with a better record than the Rockies? I'm willing to put up to $15k on the Rockies, escrow obviously required. Put your money where your fat mouth is, clown.

Lets make it 1 million!!!!

worm
06-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Nice game today by the Freak. If he gets back on track for the second half...this pitching staff can dominate as well as anyone in the majors.

Now all we need is a deal for Reyes and some production at the plate.

elsid13
06-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I despise the Red Sox but you're going to see Lester, Beckett, and Wakefield. If you see the "good" Wakefield you likely get swept. Hope I'm wrong.

Beckett most likely will not pitch this series he has the flu.

Boobs McGee
06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Not MLB related, but...watching vandy vs Florida in the CWS, and the SEC player of the year broke an aluminum bat off at the handle on an inside pitch. Never seen anything like it! Crazy.

Smiling Assassin27
06-24-2011, 04:38 PM
This is sort of baseball related. This is just muy malo:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/usyNyn9Ang8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hogan11
06-24-2011, 08:23 PM
Ahem.......

Hogan11
06-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Do you believe me now?

Hogan11
06-24-2011, 10:00 PM
shhhh let him live in his fantasyland where the Pirates are a good team, the ownership actually wants to win and they're always one year away from contending.

I just love it when people who never watch the Pirates think they're the same team as in the past......:rofl:

Boobs McGee
06-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Thankfully, we won't.have to listen to that jackass' comments for the rest of the season.... BAN HAMMAAAAA!! although just once, I wish someone with enough money.on.this board would take him on the "escrow" bets.

Congrats to your pirates, and congrats to my rockies today!

SouthStndJunkie
06-25-2011, 12:46 AM
The only thing that little hobbit Karenin will be putting in escrow in the next several months is that little kids wooden horse he was riding on his myspace account.

SouthStndJunkie
06-25-2011, 12:46 AM
Jason Giambi should playing DH every day in the American League.

Batting .292 with 8 HRs and 19 RBIs in only 65 at bats.

worm
06-25-2011, 12:55 AM
+4000 for the Pirates to win the NL Central. Bet it Hogan!

I took a future on the Twins to win the AL Central a few weeks ago (sorry Junkie)....thinking of doing the same for the Pirates in the NL Central.

Requiem
06-25-2011, 02:06 AM
Twins aren't winning the AL Central.

King Felix hot again tonight!

Good rebound win after getting swept by the Nationals.

Hogan11
06-25-2011, 07:27 AM
+4000 for the Pirates to win the NL Central. Bet it Hogan!

I took a future on the Twins to win the AL Central a few weeks ago (sorry Junkie)....thinking of doing the same for the Pirates in the NL Central.

I dunno about winning the Central (because even with Hurdle's guidance, they still haven't figured out how to beat the Brewers) but being just 3 games out at this point in time should be getting Hurdle some MOTY attention.

Consider this, at this time last year the Pirates were 20 games under .500 (25-45), 14 games out of first place and had been outscored by 155 runs in those 70 games.

They're now 38-37, 3 games out of first, have won 20-18 on the road and are about to even up their home record. This has all been done with essentially the same personel as last year plus a couple of castoiffs and with Alverez, Doumit & Snyder (as well as a few bit players) on the DL.

I'm not saying World Series or anything here, but the team has vastly improved and it amazes me when I read utter foolishness from people who seem to wanna ignore it and be totally blind to that.

Wakefield may be on the mound today, but the Red Sox have to deal with Eyebrows (Karstens) who is 4-4 with a 2.54 ERA and easily one of the ugliest men to ever hold a baseball in his hands. The Bucs have faired well against other knuckleballers this season (the Mets Dickey comes to mind) so we'll see.

The long faces on ESPN last night for denying a "cake" 10th win for Lester made my night, I'll say that much.....Beat 'em Bucs!

Hogan11
06-25-2011, 07:32 AM
The only thing that little hobbit Karenin will be putting in escrow in the next several months is that little kids wooden horse he was riding on his myspace account.

It's about time a Mod sacked up and started taking out some of the trash around here. This offseason has nearly made me turn the page on the Mane.

Just a side note, I now return everyone back to their regularly scheduled programming

worm
06-25-2011, 08:23 AM
I dunno about winning the Central (because even with Hurdle's guidance, they still haven't figured out how to beat the Brewers) but being just 3 games out at this point in time should be getting Hurdle some MOTY attention.

Consider this, at this time last year the Pirates were 20 games under .500 (25-45), 14 games out of first place and had been outscored by 155 runs in those 70 games.

They're now 38-37, 3 games out of first, have won 20-18 on the road and are about to even up their home record. This has all been done with essentially the same personel as last year plus a couple of castoiffs and with Alverez, Doumit & Snyder (as well as a few bit players) on the DL.

I'm not saying World Series or anything here, but the team has vastly improved and it amazes me when I read utter foolishness from people who seem to wanna ignore it and be totally blind to that.

Wakefield may be on the mound today, but the Red Sox have to deal with Eyebrows (Karstens) who is 4-4 with a 2.54 ERA and easily one of the ugliest men to ever hold a baseball in his hands. The Bucs have faired well against other knuckleballers this season (the Mets Dickey comes to mind) so we'll see.

The long faces on ESPN last night for denying a "cake" 10th win for Lester made my night, I'll say that much.....Beat 'em Bucs!

I actually think they could win the Central. However besides that, the fact that they are +4000 in Vegas to win the Central when they are sitting at 38-37 and 3 games out here on the eve of July, shows how under-valued they are right now. They are playing better ball right now than I have seen in a decade. Hope they keep it up. Success breeds success.

If they get another good outing from Karstens (he has pitched late into the game the last 4 or 5 starts, with a lot of scoreless frames), I think they can win today. Didn't think Wakefield was inked today...but regardless, I like the Bucs today.

Pendejo
06-25-2011, 08:46 AM
Are you serious?
Yeah, SD took the series, and that's the extent of any truth involved in your statement.
The Red Sox has the 2nd best record in all baseball to the Phillies.
We're leading the AL East division after starting the season 2-10 or may have even been worse than that, just off the top of my head.
Our offense pedestrian?
We've been killing teams, in fact, we've scored something like 28 runs in two games combined last week, and we've routinely put 10+runs on teams this year. I would go on a limb and say we have the highest scoring team in the league, if not, amongst the top in the majors for sure. :~ohyah!:

I didn't say that their offense is pedestrian. I said that in the final two games of the series the Madres' pitching made them look so.

As did the Pirates last night.

SouthStndJunkie
06-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Another dominating performance by Justin Verlander....the best pitcher in baseball this year.

8 innings 4 hits 0 ER 1 BB and 14 Ks tonight.

Dude threw 119 pitches tonight and threw 100 MPH with his 116th pitch.

10-3 with a 2.38 ERA and 124 Ks this year and has an amazing 0.84 WHIP.

A no-hitter and another 2 games where he went late into the game with no-hitters in place.

JV has always been good, but he has taken it to the next level this year.

Hogan11
06-25-2011, 08:00 PM
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/9/9e/HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Ahem............

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E7KrX6POvz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hogan11
06-25-2011, 08:04 PM

Whatcha think now?

Hogan11
06-25-2011, 08:07 PM
If the Bucs sweep the Sox tomorrow, those clowns at ESPN & the MLB Network will shiat their pants. Tonight's highlights should be absoluetly hilarious Ha!

Hogan11
06-26-2011, 07:17 AM
The silence is absolutely deafening......Ha!

Requiem
06-26-2011, 07:27 AM
Pirates on a roll.

Roberto Clemente would be proud. :)

SouthStndJunkie
06-26-2011, 09:44 AM
Pirates on a roll.

Roberto Clemente would be proud. :)

Manny Sanguillén is shedding tears of joy.

TonyR
06-26-2011, 11:03 AM
The silence is absolutely deafening......Ha!

Being a Yankees fan I say: GO PIRATES! I'm quite enjoying this 4 game skid the Sox are on.

SouthStndJunkie
06-26-2011, 11:29 AM
The Tigers retired Sparky Anderson's number 11 jersey today before the game.

Well deserved, too bad he passed away before they did it.

Hogan11
06-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Being a Yankees fan I say: GO PIRATES! I'm quite enjoying this 4 game skid the Sox are on.

It doesn't even matter if they win today or not (the sweep would be nice though) taking the series from a team like Boston is satisfying enough. :approve:

FADERPROOF
06-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Tribe needs this game tonight, They found horrible ways to lose the past 2 games.

Yesterday was a tough loss to take, Masterson pitched great and to lose 1-0 on a balk is just no right. Then to make it worse, the Tigers go out and beat the D'backs anx are now tied atop the AL central.

Man-Goblin
06-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow. Nacasio was cruising today at Yankees stadium, perfect through 4.1. Then single, HR, HR. Now tied against the evil empire. Bleh.

TonyR
06-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Another dominating performance by Justin Verlander....the best pitcher in baseball this year.

Just for the sake of argument, Beckett, Weaver, Jurrjens, and Shields all have better ERAs. Halladay, Pineda, Hanson, and Hamels are all in the mix as well. Strong year for starting pitching.

SouthStndJunkie
06-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Just for the sake of argument, Beckett, Weaver, Jurrjens, and Shields all have better ERAs. Halladay, Pineda, Hanson, and Hamels are all in the mix as well. Strong year for starting pitching.

You can't lead the league in everything, but Verlander is leading all of baseball in some pretty important categories.

I consider WHIP the best evaluator of starting pitchers.

Verlander is leading the majors in WHIP.

Verlander leads the league in innings pitched.

Verlander is tied for most wins in the majors, with 10 wins.

Verlander is 2nd in the majors in strikeouts.

Verlander is 5th in ERA at 2.38.

A no-hitter and 2 other no-hitters taken late into games.

You're right....there are a lot of good pitchers this year....but if Verlander has a 2nd half of the year similar to his 1st half of the year, he will win the Cy Young Award.

FADERPROOF
06-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Wow...what a terrible situation going on with the Dodgers, just sad to see a historical team like that get ran down the tubes.

And yes im a dodgers fan, been talking about the tribe lately because theyre the local team and want to see them do well, but LA is my favorite team and its just embarrassing what has been happening.

First and foremost priority, PAY VIN SCULLY!!!!'

worm
06-27-2011, 09:06 PM
The Dodgers should file for bankruptcy more often. They are killin' the Twins tonight.

Natedog24
06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
The Dodgers have scored more runs tonight then they'll score in a month.
/sarcasm (kinda)

broncocalijohn
06-27-2011, 10:47 PM

8 innings 4 hits 0 ER 1 BB and 14 Ks tonight.

Dude threw 119 pitches tonight and threw 100 MPH with his 116th pitch.

10-3 with a 2.38 ERA and 124 Ks this year and has an amazing 0.84 WHIP.

A no-hitter and another 2 games where he went late into the game with no-hitters in place.

JV has always been good, but he has taken it to the next level this year.

He is pitching amazing ball and wish Weaver would get some offensive help as he has been one hell of an arm since his rookie season. As for Verlander always been good? I remember him and another young pitcher sucking eggs for the Tigers. Came up to the big leagues waaaay too soon.

SouthStndJunkie
06-28-2011, 01:47 AM
He is pitching amazing ball and wish Weaver would get some offensive help as he has been one hell of an arm since his rookie season. As for Verlander always been good? I remember him and another young pitcher sucking eggs for the Tigers. Came up to the big leagues waaaay too soon.

Justin Verlander came up to the majors at the perfect time. He was the American League Rookie of the Year in 2006.

You might be thinking of Andrew Miller or Rick Porcello (who is pitching decent this year).

Justin Verlander:

2006 - Rookie of the Year and was 17-9 with a 3.63 ERA.

2007 - 18-6 with a 3.66 ERA and 183 Ks. Threw his first no-hitter.

2008 - The only year he has struggled. 11-17 with a 4.84 ERA and 163 Ks.

2009 - Rebounded well. 19-9 with a 3.45 ERA and major league leading 269 Ks.

2010 - 18-9 with a 3.37 ERA and 219 Ks.

2011 - 10-3 with a 2.38 ERA and 124 Ks. Threw his second career no-hitter.

Throw out 2008 and he hasn't had less than 17 wins in a year.

He is 28 years old and has a 93-55 career record with a 3.65 ERA and 1,089 Ks.

The Tigers have brought up some pitching prospects earlier than they should have, but Justin Verlander wasn't one of them.

SouthStndJunkie
06-28-2011, 06:57 PM
The Mets are fisting my Tigers tonight.

I didn't realize Jose Reyes has 15 triples this year for the Mets.

That puts him on pace for 30 triples.

BroncosSR
06-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Cliff Lee just stellar again. 3 straight shutout games, 30+ innings of shutout ball. He's given up just 1 run in 40+ innings. More wins (5) in the month of June than the Marlins (3). Blew away the all time record for ERA in June (0.21, record was 0.50).

Has more RBIs (2) in June that he has given up as a pitcher (1).

There could be 3 pitchers from Philly on the All-Star team.

TonyR
06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
There could be 3 pitchers from Philly on the All-Star team.

Yup, I despise the Phillies, and it's awfully early to be making such statements, but as of right now I think it will take quite a miracle for anybody to beat Halladay/Lee/Hamels in a playoff series. The Phillies have been battling injuries all year (right now they don't have their first, second, or third closer, not to mention Roy Oswalt) and they still have the best record in baseball.

Doggcow
06-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Yup, I despise the Phillies, and it's awfully early to be making such statements, but as of right now I think it will take quite a miracle for anybody to beat Halladay/Lee/Hamels in a playoff series. The Phillies have been battling injuries all year (right now they don't have their first, second, or third closer, not to mention Roy Oswalt) and they still have the best record in baseball.

It really is amazing what adding 30 million to a league 4th best 140 million payroll can do.

Boobs McGee
06-28-2011, 10:29 PM
ATTA BOY WIGGINGTON!!!! And WAY TO KEEP TRUCKIN TULO!!!!

That was a hard fought game, well done Rox!

SouthStndJunkie
06-29-2011, 12:27 AM
Jose Reyes-- quickest to 15 triples in a single-season in the Live Ball Era (since 1920). He did it in his teams 79th game. Previous-quickest was Curtis Granderson, who hit his 15th triple in his teams 80th game in 2007.

worm
06-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Jose Reyes-- quickest to 15 triples in a single-season in the Live Ball Era (since 1920). He did it in his teams 79th game. Previous-quickest was Curtis Granderson, who hit his 15th triple in his teams 80th game in 2007.

Go get him Giants!

broncocalijohn
06-29-2011, 01:20 AM
The Mets are fisting my Tigers tonight.

I didn't realize Jose Reyes has 15 triples this year for the Mets.

That puts him on pace for 30 triples.

Angels played there last week and the dimensions are crazy at their new ball park. In perspective, Peter Boujores of the Angels leads the AL with half the number that Reyes has. The Mets power ally on both sides is deeper than center field.

Doggcow
06-29-2011, 01:41 AM
Angels played there last week and the dimensions are crazy at their new ball park. In perspective, Peter Boujores of the Angels leads the AL with half the number that Reyes has. The Mets power ally on both sides is deeper than center field.

Dude has 15 triples. You don't have to knock it.

Yeah, ballparks are different.

But the dude has 15 triples.

Boujores would strike out 15 times (at least) before hitting a triple in NY.

Doggcow
06-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Justin Verlander came up to the majors at the perfect time. He was the American League Rookie of the Year in 2006.

You might be thinking of Andrew Miller or Rick Porcello (who is pitching decent this year).

Justin Verlander:

The Tigers have brought up some pitching prospects earlier than they should have, but Justin Verlander wasn't one of them.

It's just what BCJ does. He tries to put everyone on blast, without any real reason or evidence, notice how he disappeared after you made this point and started knocking Reyes.

Verlander is sick. Reyes is sick. But they don't play for the Angels, so boohoo.

Pendejo
06-29-2011, 08:52 AM

Justin Verlander:

Matt ****ing Bush.

broncosteven
06-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Mark Buehrle has to have the best pickoff move in Baseball

broncosteven
06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Too bad he doesn't know how to run on base...

SoCalBronco
06-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Too bad he doesn't know how to run on base...

Hopefully Buehrle can hold on for the win, tonight.

broncosteven
06-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Hopefully Buehrle can hold on for the win, tonight.

I think I jinxed them tonight, last 4 out of 7 losses are all on them though.

Hogan11
06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Go get him Giants!

Gonna have to break the bank on him........

Hogan11
06-29-2011, 09:18 PM
I feel slimey thanking the Yankees, but.......thank you NY for slapping down those aholes from Mildew!

Hogan11
06-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Pittsburgh Pirates 41-39, 2 games back on July 1st.....amazing.

Another milestone tonight by taking the series against the Jays, beating an AL team on the road for the series win. Calijohn's boy, Brandon Wood with his 3rd HR since becoming a Buc :thumbs:

Clint Hurdle for MOTY!

worm
06-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Gonna have to break the bank on him........

They need to do something. They have no punch.

The last couple of days have been painful...but you can't keep putting it all on your pitching staff...no matter how good they are.

I think the Bucs can hold it together this year. This doesn't feel like a pre-July wonder. Not that it will be Pitt-WS-fever or anything...I just really like how they are playing this year. I ended up taking a flyer on them to win the Central. $25 to win $1000. Now I have a vested interest in watching magic happen.

Eyebrows has been pitching great lately.

SouthStndJunkie
06-30-2011, 10:28 PM
Justin Verlander won his 11th game of the year today.

7 innings 7 hits 1 ER 2 BB and 6 Ks....not dominating today, but still a very quality start.

11-3 on the year with a 2.32 ERA, 130 Ks and a WHIP of 0.86.

Hogan11
07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I think the Bucs can hold it together this year. This doesn't feel like a pre-July wonder. Not that it will be Pitt-WS-fever or anything...I just really like how they are playing this year. I ended up taking a flyer on them to win the Central. $25 to win $1000. Now I have a vested interest in watching magic happen.

Eyebrows has been pitching great lately.

Hey, ya never know...I'm concerned with the staff however, as Morton, Corriea and Eyebrows have all shown some signs of fatigue. I'm also unsure as to how many more injuries this team can absorb and still maintain the level of play that Hurdle has got from them thus far this season.

I'm happy with what has gone on thus far......but I'm also very nervous.

Dukes
07-02-2011, 05:09 AM

Listening to Buster Olney on the radio yesterday. He said Nobody has amassed a single month offensively like Reyes had in June since Ty Cobb in 1912

TonyR
07-02-2011, 08:36 AM
I feel slimey thanking the Yankees, but...

I'm sure I'll take a large dose of flack from the haters for saying this, but........ I think the Yankees are very underappreciated this season. Didn't think that was possible but I think it might be this season. Hear me out.

Phil Hughes, who went 18-8 last season, has missed almost the whole season with a dead arm.
Andy Pettitte retired.
Cliff Lee, the guy everyone assumed would replace Pettitte, opted to go to Philadelphia.
Kerry Wood, their most effective setup man down the stretch last year, opted to go back to Chicago.
Joba Chamberlain is hurt and may miss the rest of the year.
Damaso Marte hasn't played at all this year.
Their big FA acquisition, Rafael Soriano, was ineffective early on and is now injured.
They've been forced to plug scrap heap pickups Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon (now injured) into the rotation, and lean on youngster Ivan Nova.
Jeter, now hurt, and Posada appear to be close to washed up.
Swisher, among others, isn't producing like he did last year.
And so on and so forth.
And yet here we are and the Yankees somehow have the best record in the AL and the 2nd best record in MLB.
If it's possible for the Yankees to "fly under the radar", it almost seems like they're doing it!

bombay
07-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Sometimes a minor tweak really lights a fire under your team.

Mark Ellis.

bombay
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Albert Pujols will be coming off the DL much sooner than expected. He's starting the first post-all star break game.

Fat Elvis hit #22 for the Cardinals tonight, giving them a 1-0 lead in Tampa trying for their 6th consecutive win. Not bad , considering the slump after the Pujols injury, Chris Carpenter having one win, Wainwright out for the year, opening day closer cut yesterday, 3rd baseman DL'd most of the year, etc. Teams have injuries and unforseen issues all the time, seemingly.

bombay
07-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Oops! Cards #5 starter Kyle McClellan lit up for 5 runs in the bottom of the 6th. There goes the little winning streak. 5-1.

bombay
07-02-2011, 07:11 PM
The Pods are looking to dump right fielder Ryan Ludwick. He's a bit expensive at about $7, but is a very good hitter outside of Petco. Went .299/375/591 with 37 dingers in St Louis a few years ago.

Might be another good fit for the Rocks.

bombay
07-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Ellis with another double. 5/8 with the Rocks, 4 doubles and a homer, 1.375 OPS.

Early hot streaks are always fun.

bombay
07-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Mighty Mouse with another double! Three of four, all doubles tonight.

Reynolds to third. This is still a game, 8-5, so these contributions are important.

bombay
07-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Cargo triples. Almost an inside the park homer. Ellis up.

bombay
07-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Ugly AB. Ellis Ks.

worm
07-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Good guys taking the Tigers to the woodshed...

bombay
07-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Helton leads off the 8th with a double.

Hogan11
07-02-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm sure I'll take a large dose of flack from the haters for saying this, but........ I think the Yankees are very underappreciated this season. Didn't think that was possible but I think it might be this season. Hear me out.

Phil Hughes, who went 18-8 last season, has missed almost the whole season with a dead arm.
Andy Pettitte retired.
Cliff Lee, the guy everyone assumed would replace Pettitte, opted to go to Philadelphia.
Kerry Wood, their most effective setup man down the stretch last year, opted to go back to Chicago.
Joba Chamberlain is hurt and may miss the rest of the year.
Damaso Marte hasn't played at all this year.
Their big FA acquisition, Rafael Soriano, was ineffective early on and is now injured.
They've been forced to plug scrap heap pickups Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon (now injured) into the rotation, and lean on youngster Ivan Nova.
Jeter, now hurt, and Posada appear to be close to washed up.
Swisher, among others, isn't producing like he did last year.
And so on and so forth.
And yet here we are and the Yankees somehow have the best record in the AL and the 2nd best record in MLB.
If it's possible for the Yankees to "fly under the radar", it almost seems like they're doing it!

Actually, outside of the whole large/small market thing, I'm pretty indifferent towards the Yankees.....as I am much of the AL.

They beat those bastards from Milwaukee though, so I'll give 'me a thumbs up for that. :thumbs:

Bucs drop a couple to the Walgreens Nationals, both losses from bottom of the 8th comebacks. Concern rises, but the schedule gets favorable for the next couple of weeks. Cedeno joins 1/4 of the team on the DL....not sure how many more injuries they can absorb.

SouthStndJunkie
07-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Good guys taking the Tigers to the woodshed...

6-0 before the rain delay and now it's 10-0 Giants....ugly.

The game is only in the 4th inning.

worm
07-02-2011, 09:09 PM

Its amazing how much more enjoyable this game is compared to the one where the Twins lit up Bumbgarner and the Giants for 8 in the 1st.

broncocalijohn
07-02-2011, 11:30 PM

Hope it is more to come starting on Monday. ROFL!

worm
07-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Congrats to all the All-Stars. Good job Bochy using your discretionary selections for adding 3 Giant pitchers to the team!

Show him you deserve it Vogelsong today in D-town.

SouthStndJunkie
07-03-2011, 12:32 PM
4 Tigers make the All-Star team.

Alex Avila is starting at catcher. Starting pitcher Justin Verlander, closer Jose Valverde and first baseman Miguel Cabrera also made the squad.

SouthStndJunkie
07-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Dan Haren out-dueled Justin Verlander last night.

2 hit shutout for his 100th career win.

SouthStndJunkie
07-06-2011, 02:40 AM
Curtis Granderson is having a great year for the Yankees.

He has 77 runs scored, 11 doubles, 7 triples, 25 HRs, 62 RBIs, 15 stolen bases, with a .278 average.

If he keeps up that pace, he would end up with: 149 runs scored, 21 doubles, 14 triples, 48 HRs, 120 RBIs, and 29 stolen bases.

That would be an MVP worthy year.

broncocalijohn
07-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Dan Haren out-dueled Justin Verlander last night.

2 hit shutout for his 100th career win.

Dan Haren has rarely received run support from his team. If one of the pitchers can't pitch for the AL team, I would like to see Haren get added to the squad. Lowering his ERA to 2.65 and is one of the best controlled pitchers in the game as he has given up 18 walks all season (zero last night in his 2 hitter). I believe this is 7 series in a row that the Angels have won (we are up 2 games to zilch with today's game to go).

Hogan11
07-09-2011, 09:07 AM
The Pirates have a legit shot at first place in the Central before the All-Star break. If that happens....ESPN & The MLB Network will fly the flags at half mast. Nothing angers them quite like a (for the most part) "starless" team overtaking their favorites.

The big question here, is if they'll buy or sell at the deadline. If they sell at the deadline, then all the accusations over the years will be proven by Nutting. If they buy....well, it'll be just another unbelievable event in an already magical season.

FADERPROOF
07-09-2011, 11:40 AM
The Pirates have a legit shot at first place in the Central before the All-Star break. If that happens....ESPN & The MLB Network will fly the flags at half mast. Nothing angers them quite like a (for the most part) "starless" team overtaking their favorites.

The big question here, is if they'll buy or sell at the deadline. If they sell at the deadline, then all the accusations over the years will be proven by Nutting. If they buy....well, it'll be just another unbelievable event in an already magical season.

Agreed, tribe is in the same boat. They need a right handed bat in the lineup a middle of the rotation pitcher, but all signs currently point to them sitting on their hands and hoping they put it all together along with the minor league players helping out.

SouthStndJunkie
07-09-2011, 12:07 PM
NEW YORK -- Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter has a new nickname: "Mr. 3,000."

Jeter on Saturday became the 28th player in major league baseball history -- and first Yankee in franchise history -- to reach the 3,000-hit plateau when he homered to left against the Tampa Bay Rays' David Price in the third inning.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2011, 02:53 AM
Dan Haren has rarely received run support from his team. If one of the pitchers can't pitch for the AL team, I would like to see Haren get added to the squad. Lowering his ERA to 2.65 and is one of the best controlled pitchers in the game as he has given up 18 walks all season (zero last night in his 2 hitter). I believe this is 7 series in a row that the Angels have won (we are up 2 games to zilch with today's game to go).

I was impressed with Peter Bourjos the games I saw him play.

He is super athletic and plays center field the way it's supposed to be played.

If he gets on base he is a threat to score at all times.

He will become a favorite of Mike Scioscia's.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Is it true that the Rockies are open to the possibility of trading Ubaldo?

They should hang on to their young arms.

He had an excellent start last night and will have a strong second half of the season.

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2011, 02:58 AM
I don't like it when teams make a trade simply because they feel like trades need to be made.

Don't give up so quick on your young arms.

In 2007, the Tigers traded a promising young arm in Jair Jurrjens for Edgar Renteria, who had one average season for the Tigers.

This year Jair Jurrjens is 12-3 with a 1.87 ERA for the Braves and he is still only 25 years old.

I'd like to have that arm paired up with Justin Verlander in the rotation for the next decade.

The Tigers have made some good trades under Dave Dombrowski, but that was not one of them.

Requiem
07-10-2011, 06:40 AM
The Mariners have arms for days, but no bats at all.

Ackley is a rookie and for Christ sakes he is doing the best.

Puegero is poop, just a back-up player. Halman's numbers are deceptive. He swings at breaking balls before they are even out of the pitchers hand. . .

Chone Figgins -- what a sucker.

Ichiro? WTF?

das Goot? Lame.

Ackley, Smoak are all I really care about, and the amount Smoak and Olivio get fanned makes me want to puke. Felix, Pineda and some other arms.

I'd keep the other youth to just get them reps.

It's so sad that this Marienrs team is still in this thing.

great pitchng helps but wow.

broncocalijohn
07-10-2011, 09:23 AM
I was impressed with Peter Bourjos the games I saw him play.

He is super athletic and plays center field the way it's supposed to be played.

If he gets on base he is a threat to score at all times.

He will become a favorite of Mike Scioscia's.

Bourjous got hurt rounding 2nd thinking he could possibly go for a triple when he hit the ball in the left field corners. Leading the AL in triples but now he is out for two weeks with a hamstring pull. Exciting part is they called up their 1st round draft pick from last year in Mike Trout who is not quite 20 years of age! Youngest to be called up for the Angels since Andy Hassler in 1971.
As for the Mariners, they have some good arms but having Figgins become a reserve player after leaving the Angels for bigtime money does put a lil smile on my face. His .183 batting average is horrific and looks like he is not very comfortable since he left. Glad he is helping the Angels by sucking it up on a divisional team.

DemonEagles
07-10-2011, 09:56 AM
g

DemonEagles
07-10-2011, 10:07 AM
c

SouthStndJunkie
07-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Justin Verlander and the Tigers beat Kansas City 2-1 today and the Tigers go into the All-Star break in first place of the AL Central by .5 game over Cleveland.

SouthStndJunkie
07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Yankees versus Red Sox in the home run derby final:

Robinson Cano beats Adrian Gonzalez to win the home run derby.

Robinson Cano's dad was the one pitching to him, which is very cool.

SouthStndJunkie
07-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Chris Berman needs to be put out to pasture.

worm
07-12-2011, 07:01 AM
There should be a Darwin Award in this idiots future. Especially after what happened in Texas with Shannon Stone. The stupidity is mind-boggling

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg741/scaled.php?tn=0&server=741&filename=snwp.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/f8/f8fe71aa5818ecb4d7c716218490371b/fan_almost_falls_from_chase_field_stands_at_home_r un_derby.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/ca/ca14eb01418665627095179c8f85a1b2/not_again_fan_almost_falls_from_stands_at_home_run _derby.jpg

Boobs McGee
07-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Wtf??? Anybody else NOT getting to watch the all.star.game right now? My signal (comcast) just shut down, both in HD and standard def. Every other channel is just fine.

Boobs McGee
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
****ing Comcast. Apparently I have a "service outage" in my area...but its only affecting one channel. ****.

Rockies Fan Douche
07-12-2011, 08:11 PM
tulo singles in the asg!!! OMG!!!

time for the theme song!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNsmiqmaEWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

worm
07-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Brewers making a move...With the Mets dumping Rodriguez you gotta think Beltran and maybe even Reyes are next. Come on Giants!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6764381/new-york-mets-trade-closer-francisco-rodriguez-milwaukee-brewers

NEW YORK -- The Milwaukee Brewers got a quick start on the second half, picking up a big-time closer.

The NL Central co-leaders acquired former All-Star reliever Francisco Rodriguez from the New York Mets on Tuesday night, boosting the Brewers' bullpen for a second-half run at the playoffs.

The trade was announced only a half-hour after the All-Star Game, with the Mets sending K-Rod and cash to Milwaukee for two players to be named.

Rodriguez tweeted Wednesday that he was looking forward to a new opportunity and asked fans to support him.

He also wrote: "I want to thank all the Mets fans for your support during these two and half years in which I wore this jersey."

Most likely, more trades all over the majors will follow before the July 31 deadline for making deals without waivers. And this swap was yet another sign the Brewers are going all in this season.

Milwaukee is tied with St. Louis for the NL Central lead, and John Axford has done well as its closer. The Brewers, however, have had trouble finding steady setup men.

"Francisco has been one of the best relievers in the game for many years," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said in a statement. "He is a high-quality arm who will be a tremendous asset to our bullpen as we prepare for the final months of the regular season and playoffs."

The Brewers traded for top starters Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum in the offseason. They've made the playoffs just once since winning the American League pennant in 1982, and are faced with the prospect of watching star slugger Prince Fielder leave via free agency after the season.

Fielder was the MVP of the All-Star Game, hitting a three-run homer in the National League's 5-1 victory.

"That is a really big trade. He can really help us, he is a great player. It definitely gives us a spark. We are in first place now and getting him gives us a little more help," Fielder said.

Rockies Fan Douche
07-15-2011, 08:27 PM
rockies up 3-0 through 6

juan nicasio is pitching a gem

just up from the springs, dexter fowler scored the first run on a wild pitch

Hogan11
07-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Brewers making a move...With the Mets dumping Rodriguez you gotta think Beltran and maybe even Reyes are next. Come on Giants!

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6764381/new-york-mets-trade-closer-francisco-rodriguez-milwaukee-brewers

NEW YORK -- The Milwaukee Brewers got a quick start on the second half, picking up a big-time closer.

The NL Central co-leaders acquired former All-Star reliever Francisco Rodriguez from the New York Mets on Tuesday night, boosting the Brewers' bullpen for a second-half run at the playoffs.

The trade was announced only a half-hour after the All-Star Game, with the Mets sending K-Rod and cash to Milwaukee for two players to be named.

Rodriguez tweeted Wednesday that he was looking forward to a new opportunity and asked fans to support him.

He also wrote: "I want to thank all the Mets fans for your support during these two and half years in which I wore this jersey."

Most likely, more trades all over the majors will follow before the July 31 deadline for making deals without waivers. And this swap was yet another sign the Brewers are going all in this season.

Milwaukee is tied with St. Louis for the NL Central lead, and John Axford has done well as its closer. The Brewers, however, have had trouble finding steady setup men.

"Francisco has been one of the best relievers in the game for many years," Brewers general manager Doug Melvin said in a statement. "He is a high-quality arm who will be a tremendous asset to our bullpen as we prepare for the final months of the regular season and playoffs."

The Brewers traded for top starters Zack Greinke and Shaun Marcum in the offseason. They've made the playoffs just once since winning the American League pennant in 1982, and are faced with the prospect of watching star slugger Prince Fielder leave via free agency after the season.

Fielder was the MVP of the All-Star Game, hitting a three-run homer in the National League's 5-1 victory.

"That is a really big trade. He can really help us, he is a great player. It definitely gives us a spark. We are in first place now and getting him gives us a little more help," Fielder said.

**** The Brewers. They're not gonna make it past the Cards. I'm gonna laugh so hard when Fat Boy Fielder books in the offseason to be a Yankee or to join Big Sloppy on the Red Sox.

worm
07-16-2011, 08:50 AM
Looks who is tied for 1st in mid-July, Hogan. Pretty cool.

"We absolutely are willing to add to this club if the right opportunity comes along," Pirates GM Neal Huntington said Wednesday in a phone interview.

Shaping up to be one of the best MLB stories of the year.

Hogan11
07-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Looks who is tied for 1st in mid-July, Hogan. Pretty cool.

"We absolutely are willing to add to this club if the right opportunity comes along," Pirates GM Neal Huntington said Wednesday in a phone interview.

Shaping up to be one of the best MLB stories of the year.

I agree, although I'm still a wee bit skeptical of Huntington's remarks....hope he's true to his word, especially since the Brewers are going all in on a do or die season.

I'm hoping both they and the Tribe can hang on and contend well into September. I cannot say enough good things about Clint Hurdle's leadership of this very young team...if he's not voted Manager of the year after the job he's done in Pittsburgh, then there's something really wrong with the way that whole thing is selected.

broncocalijohn
07-16-2011, 01:54 PM
**** The Brewers. They're not gonna make it past the Cards. I'm gonna laugh so hard when Fat Boy Fielder books in the offseason to be a Yankee or to join Big Sloppy on the Red Sox.

THose teams have first basemens already. At his young age, he is not going to become a DH and especially the money he will ask for. I hope the Brewers make the playoffs and he sticks with the team. Of course if Morales doesn't heal from his injuries, I think he would look great in Anaheim! :wiggle:

Onto the Pirates, Hogan. With their placement at the top of the division, I will laugh so hard if now management is put in a tough spot and will have to spend millions to show that they are serious about making the playoffs but decide to play their fans with an awesome excuse of dealing the good players or not spending the money to improve.
I think the Pirates story is great but seeing what management does has me intrigued for the deadlines looming.

Hogan11
07-16-2011, 04:44 PM
THose teams have first basemens already. At his young age, he is not going to become a DH and especially the money he will ask for. I hope the Brewers make the playoffs and he sticks with the team. Of course if Morales doesn't heal from his injuries, I think he would look great in Anaheim! :wiggle:

He ain't staying in Mildew, they'd have to invest 1/4 of their entire payroll to keep him. He'll end up on one of the Large market teams no doubt and I really don't care where he goes either....I just want that fat f***ing slob out of Mildew and ultimately out of the division.

Onto the Pirates, Hogan. With their placement at the top of the division, I will laugh so hard if now management is put in a tough spot and will have to spend millions to show that they are serious about making the playoffs but decide to play their fans with an awesome excuse of dealing the good players or not spending the money to improve.
I think the Pirates story is great but seeing what management does has me intrigued for the deadlines looming.

Well, they're not going to spend just to spend, they've made that clear. The deal will have to make sense without gutting the farm system that took years to rebuild after Littlefield laid waste to it. They may not bring in anyone at all because smallball and great pitching has worked thus far for them and Alverez, Tabata and Doumit are on the horizon to be back from the DL. I've read where they'e looking at guys like Hunter Pence, James Loney, Casey Blake and Geovany Soto and generally centering attention upon financially troubled teams like the Dodgers & Mets....Hmmm, we'll see I guess.

I will agree with you on one thing...it is time for Nutting and Huntington to put up or shut up. Only if they sell off for prospects in the face of this success, will it confirm all the accuastions levelled at them over the years.

In the meantime....BUCCO FEVER, CATCH IT!!!! :yayaya:

TonyR
07-16-2011, 06:12 PM
What do you Rockies fans think the chances are they trade Jimenez?

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/yankeesblog/yankees_have_chance_at_rockies_pitcher_S4N3wbL4RwQ dDjPDiVrzzK

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/deal_for_rockies_jimenez_would_jump_jVrRSMMkSse8B8 TNxgj7KI

SouthStndJunkie
07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm watching the Red Sox and Rays....scoreless game in the 14th inning.

strafen
07-17-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm watching the Red Sox and Rays....scoreless game in the 14th inning.Me too. A 3-hitter from each side

broncocalijohn
07-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Great for whoever is playing both teams (if they play on Monday) as their pitching is wiped out especially if they need to use a starter.

SouthStndJunkie
07-17-2011, 11:30 PM
Game is at 5 hours and 16 minutes....longest in Tampa Bay's history.

strafen
07-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Red Sox wins!!!
Dustin Pedroia RBI hit :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy!

SouthStndJunkie
07-18-2011, 12:00 AM
Game was 5 hours and 44 minutes long.

Hogan11
07-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Getting a bit nervous that the pitching staff as a whole is starting to show signs of fatigue. Yesterday was the very first time Hanrahan wasn't automatic. Veras has been blowing games in the 8th. Corriea treaded water all game long as did Malholm the day before and Morton has not been sharp his last couple of starts. Seeing Joe Biemel back on the mound in any role is not what I'd consider a good sign either.

On the plus side Alex Presley continues to be this years Neil Walker batting .362 coming out of the AS break....fantasy guys should take notice.

Rockies Fan Douche
07-18-2011, 01:43 PM
go rockies!!! time for a repeat of 2007.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aNsmiqmaEWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SouthStndJunkie
07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
Last year, the Tigers traded for Jhonny Peralta at the trading deadline from the Indians for minor leaguer Giovanni Soto.

He played decent down the stretch last year, but has been impressive this year.

They moved him to SS and he made the All-Star team.

He is batting .320 with 16 HRs and 55 RBIs.

He has a pretty solid glove at short, nothing flashy, but solid.

Thanks Tribe!

SouthStndJunkie
07-22-2011, 08:33 PM
DENVER -- Colorado Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez has been placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained right wrist.

SouthStndJunkie
07-22-2011, 09:57 PM
The Tigers won their 11th game in a row over the Twins with an 8-2 win tonight.

pwnage!

SouthStndJunkie
07-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Nelson Cruz of the Rangers had 8 RBIs tonight against the Blue Jays.

FADERPROOF
07-23-2011, 06:29 AM
Last year, the Tigers traded for Jhonny Peralta at the trading deadline from the Indians for minor leaguer Giovanni Soto.

He played decent down the stretch last year, but has been impressive this year.

They moved him to SS and he made the All-Star team.

He is batting .320 with 16 HRs and 55 RBIs.

He has a pretty solid glove at short, nothing flashy, but solid.

Thanks Tribe!

Welcome! Tribe has the best SS in the AL along with 2 top prospects at 3B and 2B(Chisenhall, Kipnis), and Jhonny wore out his welcome here and had no position to play or get moved to.

elsid13
07-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Boston continue to excel. Lacky wins his third straight and looked good doing it. You can start to see offense start to really click.

strafen
07-23-2011, 07:21 AM
Boston continue to excel. Lacky wins his third straight and looked good doing it. You can start to see offense start to really click.

our offense has been clicking for a while. I believe we've been the top hitting team in the majors for quite a while now.
Lackey. I don't like him. I'm waiting for him to do better. It seems that every time he pitches he gives up 3-7 runs in the first 4 innings before he settles. Can't have that.
Wakefield. See Lackey above. Though Wakefield has been real good. He's been on more than he's not the year. He's getting better with age :thumbsup:

elsid13
07-23-2011, 07:40 AM
our offense has been clicking for a while. I believe we've been the top hitting team in the majors for quite a while now.
Lackey. I don't like him. I'm waiting for him to do better. It seems that every time he pitches he gives up 3-7 runs in the first 4 innings before he settles. Can't have that.
Wakefield. See Lackey above. Though Wakefield has been real good. He's been on more than he's not the year. He's getting better with age :thumbsup:

I think the offense can actually get better. Lacky (I refuse to spell his name right) was bad signing, and I still hope that we can find a way to trade him even if they have to eat half his deal. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they waive DL Drew in the next couple of weeks and go after Ethier (LA) or keep Reddick in right and go after shortstop.

Drek
07-23-2011, 08:26 AM

Lackey has given up three or less runs in four of his last five starts. Over his last three games he's given up 4 runs in 19.33 innings. He's gotten blown the **** up a few times this season but since coming back from the DL he's been much more productive.

He's still a giant douche by all accounts, but if he just gets 85% back to what he used to be with the Angels and gives us 200 innings a year of low to mid 4's ERA for the rest of the deal it'll be a worthwhile signing.

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Welcome! Tribe has the best SS in the AL along with 2 top prospects at 3B and 2B(Chisenhall, Kipnis), and Jhonny wore out his welcome here and had no position to play or get moved to.

I think Peralta's numbers are pretty close to Cabrera's this year:

Jhonny Peralta: .322 average, 44 runs, 103 hits, 18 doubles, 3 triples, 16 HRs, 58 RBIs, .915 OPS.

Asdrubal Cabrera: .289 average, 60 runs, 114 hits, 23 doubles, 3 triples, 17 HRs, 60 RBIs, .831 OPS.

Cabrera has the edge in runs, hits, doubles, and stolen bases. They are close in HRs and RBIs, and Peralta has the edge in batting average and OPS.

I had heard that Peralta wore out his welcome in Cleveland, but he has fit in well with the Tigers.

Peralta is still only 29 years old and I think the Tigers have him locked up for another year or two. Right now the Tigers lineup is pretty damn good. They finally had to send Brandon Inge packing to Toledo as he was stinking it up. They traded with the Royals for 3B Wilson Betemit, who is solid and batting .280 on the year. If Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Guillen stay healthy, I have a feeling the Tigers will be right there for the division at the end of the season. I don't think the Tribe are going anywhere and the White Sox still scare me. I don't see the Twins getting hot down the stretch.

FADERPROOF
07-23-2011, 11:43 AM
They are comparable with the bats, Cabrera has the best glove of all SS though(by far) and that is HUGE at SS. Cabrera is an MVP candidate as well, Peralta has the benefit of a better lineup. Its somewhat debatable but overall Asbrubal is the best in AL.

If the tribe makes a deal for a right handed power bat, and maybe a middle of road SP to be the 4th or 5th starter, they'll win the AL central. But im sure Shapiro willnlet Josh Willingham or Hunter Pence slip away and end up not doing anything to improve the team.

SouthStndJunkie
07-23-2011, 11:50 AM
They are comparable with the bats, Cabrera has the best glove of all SS though(by far) and that is HUGE at SS. Cabrera is an MVP candidate as well, Peralta has the benefit of a better lineup. Its somewhat debatable but overall Asbrubal is the best in AL.

If the tribe makes a deal for a right handed power bat, and maybe a middle of road SP to be the 4th or 5th starter, they'll win the AL central. But im sure Shapiro willnlet Josh Willingham or Hunter Pence slip away and end up not doing anything to improve the team.

Cabrera does have the better glove and probably deserves the nod as best AL shortstop this year, but there are still 60 games left in the season and Peralta is on a roll right now.

Batting behind Miguel Cabrera and Victor Martinez has been huge for Peralta.

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2011, 07:42 PM
anyone besides me watching the rockies at the dbacks?

strafen
07-23-2011, 08:32 PM
I think the offense can actually get better. Lacky (I refuse to spell his name right) was bad signing, and I still hope that we can find a way to trade him even if they have to eat half his deal. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they waive DL Drew in the next couple of weeks and go after Ethier (LA) or keep Reddick in right and go after shortstop.Josh Reddick is doing a phenomenal job. I like this kid a lot.
He obviously needs more seasoning, but he's contributed nicely.
There were some rumors Boston was making a strong bid for Carlos Beltran.

Tombstone RJ
07-23-2011, 09:03 PM
watching the rockies is painful.. why the fail?

SouthStndJunkie
07-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Tim Wakefield (6-3) joined Roger Clemens as the only pitchers to strike out 2,000 batters with Boston and moved one win away from his 200th victory. But the 44-year-old knuckleballer left after giving up Brendan Ryan's grand slam that cut the lead to 11-7 with one out in the seventh.

Hogan11
07-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Tough stretch for the Buccos here with games against the Braves and Phillies, time to see if they can really hang with the big boys. Off to a good start in that dept. if I do say so myself :thumbs:

After reading the words of the GM, I expect the team to make absolutely no moves whatsoever. Apparently, teams either wanna rape the farm system or want them to take on outrageous contracts...neither of which the Pirates are willing (or able) to do. So, it's likely there'll be no moves at the deadline for these guys....it's just keep on keeping on.

We'll see, I guess.

SoCalBronco
07-26-2011, 12:42 AM
The Sox well within striking distance of the division lead after another Buehrle win.

Requiem
07-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Hey fellow Mariners fans, LOL.

Wow. . . we are terrible.

TheChamp24
07-26-2011, 07:43 AM
I think the offense can actually get better. Lacky (I refuse to spell his name right) was bad signing, and I still hope that we can find a way to trade him even if they have to eat half his deal. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they waive DL Drew in the next couple of weeks and go after Ethier (LA) or keep Reddick in right and go after shortstop.

The Red Sox have the best offense in the major leagues, and you make it sound like they still need to improve upon it. ITS THE FREAKIN BEST IN BASEBALL.
Lackey could hurt the Sox. His 2 decent starts recently have come against the O's and Mariners.
Wakefield needs to retire after the season.

There are only two MVP Candidates in the AL.
Adrian Gonzalez and Jose Bautista.
Nobody is even CLOSE to either one of them.

Also, Rockies are the biggest disappointment this year. Good lord.

Drek
07-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Lackey could hurt the Sox. His 2 decent starts recently have come against the O's and Mariners.

He also threw 7 scoreless versus the Phillies since coming off the DL. The only bad start he's had post-DL was in a heavy mist where he complained about not being able to grip the ball. Makes sense since he's converted himself from a fastball control pitcher to a breaking ball guy post-DL stint.

He's still highly suspect, but the O's aren't a horrible offensive team and the Phillies are a really good one. He threw solid games against both. There's a chance he's finally putting it together again.

There are only two MVP Candidates in the AL.
Adrian Gonzalez and Jose Bautista.
Nobody is even CLOSE to either one of them.

You could make a strong argument that both Pedroia and Ellsbury have been more valuable to the Red Sox than Gonzalez. All three have given elite defense, but Pedroia and Ellsbury play more defensively important positions. All three are hitting for high average and OBP, all three have impressive power numbers. Meanwhile Pedroia and Ellsbury are both 20+ base stealers while Gonzalez is a liability on the bases. if it wasn't for Pedroia and Ells Gonzalez wouldn't have nearly the RBIs.

broncocalijohn
07-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey fellow Mariners fans, LOL.

Wow. . . we are terrible.

LOL :yayaya:

Glad the Angels help start that miserable streak. Now if only the Rangers would slow down. As for some of the post in recent days.....

Indians Cabrera is outstanding. I don't think they are crying over trading Peralta to the Tigers. If you don't know how to spell "Johnny", then you really aren't worth sticking around.
Lackey is an ass. I hope nothing but the worst career in Boston. See Chone Figgins in Seattle. Nice guy but I bet he is missing Anaheim right about now. Thanks Figgy for blowing up their payroll and sucking at the same time.
Pirates of course will not spend any money. Making the playoffs is in their reach but it is a gamble that ownership doesnt want to take for the cost. They like their guaranteed $30 million a year profit. They have a huge chance to score major points and boost season ticket sales but will probably **** that one away.

Dedhed
07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Didn't you people hear? FOOTBALL IS BACK!

SouthStndJunkie
07-26-2011, 09:37 PM
The Sox well within striking distance of the division lead after another Buehrle win.

Nice win for my Tigers tonight against your Sox.

Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn got to Justin Verlander tonight, but he hung in there for his 14th win on the year.

Tigers go back to being 2.0 games up on the Indians and 4.5 up on the White Sox.

Hogan11
07-26-2011, 09:46 PM
Pirates of course will not spend any money. Making the playoffs is in their reach but it is a gamble that ownership doesnt want to take for the cost. They like their guaranteed $30 million a year profit. They have a huge chance to score major points and boost season ticket sales but will probably **** that one away.

Get real. They are definitely not going to trade away precious prospects for a two month rental, nor can they take on huge contracts...that is the stuff for large market/big money teams.

bombay
07-27-2011, 12:06 PM
The Cardinals traded Colby Rasmus to toronto for a bunch of junk.

broncocalijohn
07-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Ervin Santana just completed the Angels Franchise 9th No hitter! His first complete game ever and it is a no-no. Last no hitter was at Opening Day in 1990 for Langston and Witt (Langston on a pitch count). I was at that game 21 years ago and this time watched it on tv. Awesome and now hoping for a Rangers' loss.

bombay
07-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Ervin Santana just completed the Angels Franchise 9th No hitter! His first complete game ever and it is a no-no. Last no hitter was at Opening Day in 1990 for Langston and Witt (Langston on a pitch count). I was at that game 21 years ago and this time watched it on tv. Awesome and now hoping for a Rangers' loss.

Dean Chance!

broncocalijohn
07-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Dean Chance!

That was the first I believe. Out of 9, I think Ryan had 4 or 5 of them.

SouthStndJunkie
07-27-2011, 05:38 PM
The Giants trade for Carlos Beltran.

Nice trade for the Giants....he will give them some needed pop in the lineup.

broncocalijohn
07-27-2011, 05:55 PM
Get real. They are definitely not going to trade away precious prospects for a two month rental, nor can they take on huge contracts...that is the stuff for large market/big money teams.

Dude, two years ago they made $30 million. Now, with their winning record and most likely more people in the stands, they are increasing their revenue. Their payroll for 2009 was $48.7 and this year it is down to $45.6 a $3.1 million decrease! Hogan, they are just a cheap organization. They can take on a $10 million a year contract for renting or with a year left on a contract. They should have a ton of prospects from picking them up from years of dumping contracts (yet they are only ranked 22nd on one site). You got the division in your grasp and havent been this good in exactly 20 years. Time to step up and stop making excuses and start executing. If they fail to do so this year, they will make more profit in 2011 and should get some good free agents. But we know that isn't how they operate and Hogan, you are in line with their way of thinking. I guess it does make losing easier to swallow.

SouthStndJunkie
07-27-2011, 08:35 PM
Adrian Gonzalez is absolutely raking for the Red Sox.

.351 batting average with 17 HRs and 87 RBIs.

He's on pace for 232 hits this year.

Hogan11
07-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Dude, two years ago they made $30 million. Now, with their winning record and most likely more people in the stands, they are increasing their revenue. Their payroll for 2009 was $48.7 and this year it is down to $45.6 a $3.1 million decrease! Hogan, they are just a cheap organization. They can take on a $10 million a year contract for renting or with a year left on a contract. They should have a ton of prospects from picking them up from years of dumping contracts (yet they are only ranked 22nd on one site). You got the division in your grasp and havent been this good in exactly 20 years. Time to step up and stop making excuses and start executing. If they fail to do so this year, they will make more profit in 2011 and should get some good free agents. But we know that isn't how they operate and Hogan, you are in line with their way of thinking. I guess it does make losing easier to swallow.

Blah blah Blah...so you would gut the farm system by picking up the ridiculous contracts of essentially two month rentals and ensure more losing seasons beyond 2011 by doing so all for taking one shot at winning the division or finishing above .500. Typical large market/money to burn thinking.

The only way the Bucs will be able to even compete in the near future is to hold onto every blue chip prospect they have in the farm system. The numbers you site still don't compare with that of the large markets, who'll always outbid the Bucs for these so-called "good free agents".

I know the Pirates success is killing you this season and all, but this whole mentality that they can somehow operate on the same level as the NY/BOS/LAA/CHI/SF/TX et. al for trade deadline players, is just laughable.

Hogan11
07-28-2011, 08:46 AM
That call to end the 19 inning game BTW was the worst call I've ever seen on a MLB diamond. As "Eyebrows" Karstens said: "I think someone just wanted to go home"

worm
07-28-2011, 08:58 AM
I know the Pirates success is killing you this season and all, but this whole mentality that they can somehow operate on the same level as the NY/BOS/LAA/CHI/SF/TX et. al for trade deadline players, is just laughable.

What has killed me is the Bucs last two games. The type of games that will galvenize you as a team or melt your season.

On a side note....Directv ended their free week of MLB baseball this past week. I was in heaven. I think I watched 30 hours of games. I am an addict. I would get the season pass but then I would get NOTHING done.

Can't wait to see Carlos in a Giants uni tonight. Would love to see them take the series from the Phils. Get inside their head even more. I think this will be the NLCS matchup again.

BroncosSR
07-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Hunter Pence to the Phils. From what I hear, it's without giving up Dom Brown.

Deal is for Singleton, Cosart, 2 players to be named later. Vance Worley and Dominic Brown not in the deal.

Champagne Powder
07-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Hunter Pence to the Phils. From what I hear, it's without giving up Dom Brown.

1B/OF Jonathan Singleton and RHP Jared Cosart are both in Baseball America's midseason top 50 so the Astros are still getting a real sweet deal, especially for a second tier player like Pence.

BroncosSR
07-29-2011, 07:37 PM
1B/OF Jonathan Singleton and RHP Jared Cosart are both in Baseball America's midseason top 50 so the Astros are still getting a real sweet deal, especially for a second tier player like Pence.

Agreed. Howard still hasn't even started his new contract yet so it was going to be tough for Cosart to crack the majors as it is. The attempt to move him to the outfield permanently didn't go over so well. Regardless, to not lose Dom Brown was my biggest issue with acquiring Pence.

SouthStndJunkie
07-29-2011, 09:36 PM
ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols got his 2,000th hit and Edwin Jackson pitched seven innings in his debut with St. Louis, lifting the Cardinals to a 9-2 win Friday over the Chicago Cubs.

In his 10th season, Pujols is 263rd overall on the major league hit list. He's the fifth Cardinal to get 2,000 hits in a career. He is the 12th quickest player to 2,000 hits in history, taking 1,650 games.

Pujols joined Stan Musial (3,630), Lou Brock (2,713), Rogers Hornsby (2,110) and Enos Slaughter (2,063) as the only Cardinals to get 2,000 with the franchise.

SouthStndJunkie
07-30-2011, 03:07 PM
SEATTLE -- Dave Dombrowski and the Detroit Tigers hope they've grabbed the pieces to round out a playoff pitching staff. The Seattle Mariners just keep searching for the right pieces in their rebuilding efforts.

The Mariners shipped right-handed starter Doug Fister and righty reliever David Pauley to the Tigers on Saturday morning for outfielder Casper Wells, infielder Francisco Martinez, left-hander Charlie Furbush and a player to be named later.

Doug Fister is a quality starting pitcher. He is 3-12, but gets little run support....his ERA is 3.33.

David Pauley is will be a nice addition the the pen. He is 5-4 this season with a 2.15 ERA in 39 games.

The Tigers gave up some talent, with third baseman Francisco Martinez being the biggest prize.

It's nice that Fister and Pauley are under contract for several years and not a few month rent a player.

phillybroncosnut
07-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Agreed. Howard still hasn't even started his new contract yet so it was going to be tough for Cosart to crack the majors as it is. The attempt to move him to the outfield permanently didn't go over so well. Regardless, to not lose Dom Brown was my biggest issue with acquiring Pence.

IMO, Dom Brown still needs 3 years in the minors.... He is clueless in the field, doesnt hustle and lacks any baseball fundamentals. Wouldnt mind seeing them try to get Adams and offer up Dom Brown in exchange.
Lets face it, Brown is "projected" to be a 30/30 guy (I really dont see that), and by time he reaches said projection, this championship window will be slammed shut.
He will be as valuable as Bobby Abreau was for us. Great stats that never help us win.

phillybroncosnut
07-30-2011, 04:16 PM

Singleton would have NEVER cracked the Phils lineup with Howard here. Cosart currently possesses a 4 ERA in low A ball. No brainer for a guy with all world heart and above average talent. Pence was the best Right handed stick on the market once Beltran went. Id take Pence over Beltran though cause we control Pence for the rest of this season, plus 2 more. beltran would have been a 2 month rental.
Great move for the Phils, questionable move for Houston by trading their most marketable player.

WolfpackGuy
07-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Doug Fister is a quality starting pitcher. He is 3-12, but gets little run support....his ERA is 3.33.

Watched this guy pitch against the Yanks the other night.

Pretty good pickup.

phillybroncosnut
07-30-2011, 04:22 PM

Pretty good pickup.

Agreed. Should help Det in the stretch run

FADERPROOF
07-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Trade between Rockies-Indians all but complete:

Indians get: SP Ubaldo Jimenez

Rockies get: SP Drew Pomeranz
SP Alex White
1B Matt McBride

I'm about to flip, DUMBEST TRADE EVER FOR THE INDIANS!!!!!

ivory hunter
07-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Trade between Rockies-Indians all but complete:

Indians get: SP Ubaldo Jimenez

Rockies get: SP Drew Pomeranz
SP Alex White
1B Matt McBride

I'm about to flip, DUMBEST TRADE EVER FOR THE INDIANS!!!!!

B.S.! Jimenez is a sure thing with a club friendly contract.

The two pitchers are good, but McBride is a stiff.

ivory hunter
07-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Singleton would have NEVER cracked the Phils lineup with Howard here. Cosart currently possesses a 4 ERA in low A ball. No brainer for a guy with all world heart and above average talent. Pence was the best Right handed stick on the market once Beltran went. Id take Pence over Beltran though cause we control Pence for the rest of this season, plus 2 more. beltran would have been a 2 month rental.
Great move for the Phils, questionable move for Houston by trading their most marketable player.

Singleton was converted to LF so the Phillies were preparing for his arrival someday.

Clearwater is high Single-A. Florida State League. Cosart was not in low-A so you are wrong.

It's a good move for both teams. Houston has arguably the weakest farm system in baseball so it's not even close to being a questionable move for them.

ivory hunter
07-30-2011, 07:11 PM

Pretty good pickup.

He has a heavy fastball. Very efficient too.

phillybroncosnut
07-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Singleton was converted to LF so the Phillies were preparing for his arrival someday.

Clearwater is high Single-A. Florida State League. Cosart was not in low-A so you are wrong.

It's a good move for both teams. Houston has arguably the weakest farm system in baseball so it's not even close to being a questionable move for them.

Singleton couldnt make it in the OF. Sure they tried it and it was an epic fail. Sorta mispoke by saying LOW A ball. Just meant LOW minors. Its not like hes in triple A. May bad.... Damn

ivory hunter
07-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Singleton couldnt make it in the OF. Sure they tried it and it was an epic fail. Sorta mispoke by saying LOW A ball. Just meant LOW minors. Its not like hes in triple A. May bad.... Damn

Singleton's bat is fine though. That's his ticket to the big leagues.

Cosart is still a stud. He hit 99 on the gun during the Futures Game and complimented it well with a nasty hammer curve.

The Phillies luckily have highly regarded Brody Colvin and Trevor May on the same Clearwater staff so he's not a huge loss. But Cosart is still a grade A talent. Any organization would love to have him.

ivory hunter
07-30-2011, 09:22 PM
SEATTLE -- Dave Dombrowski and the Detroit Tigers hope they've grabbed the pieces to round out a playoff pitching staff. The Seattle Mariners just keep searching for the right pieces in their rebuilding efforts.

The Mariners shipped right-handed starter Doug Fister and righty reliever David Pauley to the Tigers on Saturday morning for outfielder Casper Wells, infielder Francisco Martinez, left-hander Charlie Furbush and a player to be named later.

David Pauley is will be a nice addition the the pen. He is 5-4 this season with a 2.15 ERA in 39 games.

The Tigers gave up some talent, with third baseman Francisco Martinez being the biggest prize.

It's nice that Fister and Pauley are under contract for several years and not a few month rent a player.

What were your impressions of Jacob Turner today?

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2011, 07:29 AM
I thought it was a dumb idea to trade Ubaldo Jimenez....but after I saw the prospects they got in return, it makes sense.

The Indians gave up a lot of talent to get him and deviated from their overall franchise plan, although the fact that Ubaldo Jimenez is locked up for several years helps, as he isn't simply a 2 month rental.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2011, 07:53 AM
What were your impressions of Jacob Turner today?

I only got to watch Turner pitch a few innings, as I had a birthday party to go to. I recorded the game and want to watch the rest of it later.

Jacob Turner looked incredibly poised and calm to me yesterday for a 20 year old making his major league debut.

Above average fastball, excellent breaking ball/sinker. Nice smooth delivery with good mechanics.

The Angels ran at will on him though and stole 5 bases on him. He needs to work on the little things like holding runners on and not making it easy for them to steal bases.

Overall, he looked like the real deal. It was a one time spot start, so he is going back down.

He may or may not be back up in September, but he will be in the rotation next year.

FADERPROOF
07-31-2011, 07:54 AM
I thought it was a dumb idea to trade Ubaldo Jimenez....but after I saw the prospects they got in return, it makes sense.

The Indians gave up a lot of talent to get him and deviated from their overall franchise plan, although the fact that Ubaldo Jimenez is locked up for several years helps, as he isn't simply a 2 month rental.

Tigers will still win the division, the Indians don't have a lineup to contend with any of the top AL teams and should've just chalked it up to overacheiving the first 45 games and not that this team is that good.

Tribe is a good year or two away from contending still, need Santana, Carrasco, Chisenhall and Kipnis to develop more along with finding a replacement for Grady at CF then they can go ahead and make these kind of deals.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Justin Verlander had another no-hitter with 2 outs in the 8th inning before finally giving up a single.

The Angels tried bunting to start the 8th inning and the batter reached via error, which will piss some people off as bunting in that situation is one of the 'unwritten rules'.

In the bottom of the 7th, Jered Weaver didn't like Carllos Guillen's stare after a HR and tossed the next pitch at Alex Avila's head and got booted, so it's been an interesting game.

Now it's a close game at 3-2, going to the 9th inning.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Tigers win 3-2 over the Angels in a great pitching match up (Verlander versus Weaver).

Justin Verlander pitched 7 2/3 innings of no-hit ball before giving up a single.

Verlander goes 8 innings 1 H 0 ER 2 BB and 9 Ks and is 15-5 on the year with a 2.24 ERA and an amazing WHIP of 0.87.

Jose Valverde pitched a scoreless 9th inning and is 28/28 in save situations this year.

Hogan11
07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
The Pirates outbid the Indians for Ryan Ludwick. Amazing.

broncocalijohn
07-31-2011, 02:50 PM
Justin Verlander had another no-hitter with 2 outs in the 8th inning before finally giving up a single.

The Angels tried bunting to start the 8th inning and the batter reached via error, which will piss some people off as bunting in that situation is one of the 'unwritten rules'.
In the bottom of the 7th, Jered Weaver didn't like Carllos Guillen's stare after a HR and tossed the next pitch at Alex Avila's head and got booted, so it's been an interesting game.

Now it's a close game at 3-2, going to the 9th inning.

How about Weaver didnt like Guillen's watching the hit, take his time out of the box, the stare and finally running to first sideways after he did the flipping of the bat. For a class guy, it was a complete classless move. Ordonez started talking **** the play before while returning to the dugout on a fly ball. Too bad for Avila being the next batter because Weaver knew he was short on his stay on the mound since it was the end of the 7th. There are not too many excuses to bunt your way onto first during a no hitter but I think this constitutes as one of those times. Guillen doesn't show boat and stare down Weaver, Avila doesnt get a knock down pitch and Aybar doesnt try to bunt. Blame Guileen for getting that wheel in motion. Overall, weird series with either low scoring or massive runs.
Santana takes the mound on Tuesday to go for the tie of Van DeMeer's record.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM
How about Weaver didnt like Guillen's watching the hit, take his time out of the box, the stare and finally running to first sideways after he did the flipping of the bat. For a class guy, it was a complete classless move. Ordonez started talking **** the play before while returning to the dugout on a fly ball. Too bad for Avila being the next batter because Weaver knew he was short on his stay on the mound since it was the end of the 7th. There are not too many excuses to bunt your way onto first during a no hitter but I think this constitutes as one of those times. Guillen doesn't show boat and stare down Weaver, Avila doesnt get a knock down pitch and Aybar doesnt try to bunt. Blame Guileen for getting that wheel in motion. Overall, weird series with either low scoring or massive runs.
Santana takes the mound on Tuesday to go for the tie of Van DeMeer's record.

Who knows what was said by Jered Weaver earlier....I heard he was running his mouth to Magglio Ordonez after Maggs took him deep earlier in the game.

Carlos Guillen is usually a pretty classy guy, so that was out of character for him.

It was a weird last few innings.

I'm happy to get the win, the Angels always play the Tigers tough and I'm happy to beat them whenever we are able to.

SouthStndJunkie
07-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Jim Thome hit his 597th career HR today.

Thome is one of the good guys in baseball and it will be great to see him hit #600.

FADERPROOF
07-31-2011, 03:09 PM
Tigers win, Indians lose...it's a wrap.

SouthStndJunkie
08-03-2011, 11:11 PM
The Tigers traded for starting pitcher Doug Fister a few days ago and I went and googled him to read up on him a little bit and typed in Dog Fister instead.

My wife saw that as the last term in the google search bar and asked me why I googled 'Dog Fister'.

Strangely enough, that search did not yield anything shocking or outrageous.

dog fister....he pitched tonight and I laughed about that several times.

SouthStndJunkie
08-03-2011, 11:20 PM
The Red Sox and Yankees are helping my Tigers out by beating the Indians and White Sox.

Tigers lead in the division is 4 games over the Indians and 6.5 games over the White Sox.

They have to keep it up though....the Tigers are known for the their 2nd half choke jobs.

For some reason, I don't think they will choke down the stretch this year....I like the team they have put together this year.

Hogan11
08-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Looks as if the tailspin has begun and the pitching staff has finally run out of gas. I'll hold out hope for a return to form but even if it doesn't happen, I have to thank them for actually making me care about baseball into August for the first time in many years.

Here's hoping they can finish above .500, Go Bucs!

SouthStndJunkie
08-05-2011, 09:16 PM
The Tigers beat the Royals 4-3 tonight, but the Royals brought up rookie 2B Johnny Giavotella for his major league debut tonight.

Giavotella is going to be a very good player for the Royals.

He is only 5'8 but he looks like he can rake and will bring a lot of enthusiasm to their team.

Hogan11
08-05-2011, 10:25 PM
That was ugly tonight, no other way around it. 8 losses in a row, now 8 1/2 out of first place.

Take down the Jolly Rodger and hoist up the white flag because it's truly over.

Pendejo
08-06-2011, 08:49 AM
That was ugly tonight, no other way around it. 8 losses in a row, now 8 1/2 out of first place.

Take down the Jolly Rodger and hoist up the white flag because it's truly over.

Never trade for Ryan Ludwick in the heat of a playoff race.

K.C. is a Toilet
08-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Poor Juan. Broken neck:(

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8t0gr1Nl7ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SouthStndJunkie
08-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Victor Martinez has been a great signing for the Tigers.

.322 average with 25 doubles, 6 HRs, and 64 RBIs.

Martinez is leading the American League in batting average with RISP at over .400.

SpringStein
08-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Poor Juan. Broken neck:(

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8t0gr1Nl7ng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just horrible. Hope for the very best for the young man. He has shown a lot of promise, if he doesn't ever come back that's a big blow to the Rock's future.

SoCalBronco
08-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Mark Buehrle continues his amazing run.

That's now 18 consecutive games of 3 runs or less. If he had real run support this season, he would probably be 15-3 right now instead of 10-5.

I'm definitely going to miss him when he's on the Cardinals....or retired. :(

Give him whatever he wants, Kenny.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0811/mlb_u_buerhle12_300.jpg

SouthStndJunkie
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Justin Verlander won his 17th game of the year tonight.

100th career win.

5 seasons of 17+ wins at 28 years old.

Props on a big win over the Tribe.

80smith
08-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Mark Buehrle continues his amazing run.

That's now 18 consecutive games of 3 runs or less. If he had real run support this season, he would probably be 15-3 right now instead of 10-5.

I'm definitely going to miss him when he's on the Cardinals....or retired. :(

Give him whatever he wants, Kenny.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0811/mlb_u_buerhle12_300.jpg

He is my favorite sox player and has been for some time. You know its going to be a good (and fast) game when he is on the hill. I too will miss him and will cheer for him even if he plays for another team.

SouthStndJunkie
08-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Dan Uggla extends his hitting streak to 32 games.

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2011, 04:40 PM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6863950/minnesota-twins-ship-delmon-young-detroit-tigers

Twins trade Delmon Young to Tigers

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
DETROIT -- Jim Thome hit his 600th home run an inning after he hit No. 599 to help the Minnesota Twins outslug the Detroit Tigers 9-6 on Monday night.

Thome became the eighth major league player to reach 600, hitting a three-run shot off Daniel Schlereth in the seventh inning to give Minnesota a 9-5 lead.

An inning earlier, Thome reached 599 with a two-run homer off Rick Porcello (11-8) that broke a 3-all tie.

SouthStndJunkie
08-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Props to Jim Thome....a class act.

broncocalijohn
08-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Props to Jim Thome....a class act.

No doubt. I think he and Griffey jr. go in the Hall of Fame with no issues of supposed steroid usage. Congrats to Thome.

SouthStndJunkie
08-16-2011, 10:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6865351/bubba-starling-picks-kansas-city-royals-nebraska-cornhuskers

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Three-sport star Bubba Starling, perhaps the most celebrated high school athlete in Kansas history, made a last-second decision Monday night to forgo football at Nebraska and play baseball for the Kansas City Royals.

SouthStndJunkie
08-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Big series between the Tigers and the Indians this weekend.

Tigers are up by 1.5 games in the division.

broncocalijohn
08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
Big series between the Tigers and the Indians this weekend.

Tigers are up by 1.5 games in the division.

Only division race worth a damn right now. I do hope White Sox sweep the Rangers for the angels sake. TY Mark Trumbo (23 HRS as a rookie) for your walk off HR last night.

SouthStndJunkie
08-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Tigers win game one of the series 4-1.

Nice outing from starting pitcher Max Scherzer, who goes to 13-7 on the year.

SouthStndJunkie
08-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Curtis Granderson deserves some recognition as an MVP candidate.

Grandy is batting .284 with 113 runs scored, 20 doubles, 10 triples, 34 HRs, 96 RBIs, and 23 stolen bases.

He should end up with about 150 runs scored, 45 HRs, and 130 RBIs.

He leads the majors in runs scored by 23.

ludo21
08-19-2011, 09:30 PM
dang d backs lost to lowe, yuck!

Still 2.5 up though, NL West is a good division race

SouthStndJunkie
08-20-2011, 08:09 PM
BOOM!

The Tigers crush the Indians 10-1 tonight.

SouthStndJunkie
08-22-2011, 08:24 PM
The Tigers beat the Rays 5-2 tonight.

Justin Verlander gets the win and is 19-5 on the year.

7 innings 3 hits 1 ER 3 BB 8 Ks.

Dude has been money all year.

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
08-23-2011, 03:55 AM
SSJ

You're slipping. I am so shocked you didn't mention Austin Jackson's game-ending catch-and-throw home on Sunday.

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Justin Verlander has had an awesome season, but catcher Alex Avila is probably the team MVP for Detroit.

Dude is a workhorse behind the plate....he has played every night lately out of necessity and has taken a beating, but keeps producing and seems to come up with clutch hits several times a week.

Right now, he is batting .304 on the year with 25 doubles, 4 triples, 15 HRs, and 62 RBIs.

Avila is only 24 years old. It's awesome to finally have a catcher in place for the foreseeable future.

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2011, 12:22 AM
SSJ

You're slipping. I am so shocked you didn't mention Austin Jackson's game-ending catch-and-throw home on Sunday.

That was bad ass.

What a way to end a game....and finish up a sweep of a series against your division rivals.

Austin Jackson hasn't had a stellar year at the plate, but he has been producing better the second half of the season. AJ has been cutting down on his strike outs lately, and that will be crucial to his success.

That said, he is playing Gold Glove caliber ball in center field and is Detroit's biggest threat on the base paths with his speed.

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2011, 12:31 AM
Here is the video if anyone missed it.

Keep in mind this was the bottom of the 9th inning and the Tigers had a 7-0 lead early in this game.

This was for the sweep against the Indians.

Good calls by the tv crew (Rod Allen and Mario Impemba) and the radio crew (Jim Price and Dan Dickerson) on this play.

<object width="400" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=18296893&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" /><embed src="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=18296893&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="254" scale="noscale" salign ="tl" /></object>

Aftermath
08-24-2011, 03:15 AM
Im glad to see posts about the Tigers from people that dont live in Michigan. Verlander is starting to get the props he deserves, he is the best pitcher in baseball. That Austin Jackson throw out to end the game was dirty. The addition of Young and Betemit have been outstanding so far. Tigers just beat the Rays last night and now are up 6 games and are on a 5 game win streak.
Go Tigers!

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Im glad to see posts about the Tigers from people that dont live in Michigan. Verlander is starting to get the props he deserves, he is the best pitcher in baseball. That Austin Jackson throw out to end the game was dirty. The addition of Young and Betemit have been outstanding so far. Tigers just beat the Rays last night and now are up 6 games and are on a 5 game win streak.
Go Tigers!

Where do you live?

I'm in NW Ohio, about 45 minutes from Detroit.

bendog
08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
I never got to the old tiger stadium. I'd like to get to the new one.

SouthStndJunkie
08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
I never got to the old tiger stadium. I'd like to get to the new one.

Old Tiger Stadium kicked ass.

I went to quite a few games there over the years.

Comerica Park is beautiful, but I've got a soft spot for all the old stadiums like Tiger Stadium and Mile High Stadium.

I've been to a lot of the old baseball parks....Tiger Stadium, old Yankee Stadium, Fenway, and Wrigley Field.

I've been to:

Tiger Stadium - Detroit
Comerica - Detroit
Jacobs Field - Cleveland
Old Busch Stadium - St. Louis
Wrigley Field - Chicago
Old Yankee Stadium - New York Yankees
Shea Stadium - New York Mets
Fenway Park - Boston
Camden Yards - Baltimore
PNC Park - Pittsburgh
Kingdome - Seattle
Safeco Park - Seattle
Riverfront Stadium - Cincinnati
Metrodome - Minnesota
Mile High Stadium - Colorado
Coors Field - Colorado

Gort
08-24-2011, 11:16 PM
sad MLB news to share.

this afternoon, former AL CY Young winner and Baltimore Oriole Mike Flanagan apparently took his own life on his farm north of Baltimore.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-county/bs-md-co-flanagan-house-death-20110824,0,4675762.story

he was a big part of the Orioles teams of my youth and had a solid career spanning 18 seasons. he also pitched a couple of years for the Blue Jays. he spent some time in the Orioles FO as executive VP of baseball operations as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Flanagan_%28baseball%29

Finger Roll
08-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Where do you live?

The first Year I followed baseball was 1984. That was the Year the Tigers were 104-58 and won the world series. BTW, I'm a huge Braves fan who had to watch garbage for my first 6 years.

SouthStndJunkie
08-25-2011, 12:06 AM
The first Year I followed baseball was 1984. That was the Year the Tigers were 104-58 and won the world series. BTW, I'm a huge Braves fan who had to watch garbage for my first 6 years.

I remember 1984 well....35-5 after 40 games.

I was 12 years old and remember getting an autograph from Jack Morris around that time.

SouthStndJunkie
08-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Holy ****....Yankees beat Oakland 22-9.

First team ever to hit 3 grand slams in one game.

TheChamp24
08-25-2011, 06:41 PM
Holy ****....Yankees beat Oakland 22-9.

First team ever to hit 3 grand slams in one game.

Oakland was actually winning 7-1 I believe in the 4th inning too. Crazy.
Ended with Jorge Posada playing 2B lol

SouthStndJunkie
08-25-2011, 11:09 PM
CLEVELAND -- Jim Thome has swung back to the Cleveland Indians.

The slugger accepted a trade from Minnesota on Thursday night to return to the Indians, the team he started with and one hoping its career home run leader can help it run down the first-place Detroit Tigers in the AL Central.

strafen
08-25-2011, 11:23 PM
Oakland was actually winning 7-1 I believe in the 4th inning too. Crazy.
Ended with Jorge Posada playing 2B lol

Yeah, I saw that.
We (Red Sox) will be playing the Yankees Tuesday at Fenway for a 3-game serie :strong:

SouthStndJunkie
08-26-2011, 09:22 PM
Tigers beat the Twins 8-1.

72-59 on the year and playing very well on the road.

Victor Martinez with 4 RBIs tonight.

Martinez has proven to be a great signing this year....batting .323 and I believe he is leading the league in batting with runners in scoring position with an average over .400.

SouthStndJunkie
08-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Justin Verlander didn't have his best stuff today....the Twins got to him for 4 runs, but the Tigers rallied and helped JV get his 20th win on the year.

20-5 and he probably has another 5 starts in the regular season.

Props to JV for his first 20 win season.

He should win the Cy Young Award.

strafen
08-27-2011, 05:10 PM
Justin Verlander didn't have his best stuff today....the Twins got to him for 4 runs, but the Tigers rallied and helped JV get his 20th win on the year.

20-5 and he probably has another 5 starts in the regular season.

Props to JV for his first 20 win season.

He should win the Cy Young Award.Hands down! ^5

Paul Finebaum PWNS!
08-31-2011, 03:08 PM
I only got to watch Turner pitch a few innings, as I had a birthday party to go to. I recorded the game and want to watch the rest of it later.

Jacob Turner looked incredibly poised and calm to me yesterday for a 20 year old making his major league debut.

Above average fastball, excellent breaking ball/sinker. Nice smooth delivery with good mechanics.

The Angels ran at will on him though and stole 5 bases on him. He needs to work on the little things like holding runners on and not making it easy for them to steal bases.

Overall, he looked like the real deal. It was a one time spot start, so he is going back down.

He may or may not be back up in September, but he will be in the rotation next year.

He's coming back up tomorrow. Slated to start against KC!

SouthStndJunkie
09-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Justin Verlander pitched 7+ innings, giving up 1 earned run, as the Tigers beat the White Sox 8-1.

Verlander is 21-5 on the year with a K/BB ratio of 224/49, an ERA of 2.34, and a WHIP of 0.91.

Cy Young meet Justin.

Aftermath
09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
JV should win the mvp too, but he wont, it will probably go to granderson because he plays on the yankees and hits homeruns to their short right field.

Finger Roll
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
My boy Craig Kimbrel hasn't allowed a run to score since June 11th. That's 35 games in a row,lol.

Aftermath
09-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Where do you live?

I was in Dearborn Heights which is like a mile or two from westside Detroit. I moved recently but I'm still about 35 minutes away. But me and my dad bought tickets to all 3 of the DET/CLE series at the end of the season. Hopefully it doesnt end similiar to the TWINS/TIGERS final series.

Go Tigers!

SouthStndJunkie
09-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I was in Dearborn Heights which is like a mile or two from westside Detroit. I moved recently but I'm still about 35 minutes away. But me and my dad bought tickets to all 3 of the DET/CLE series at the end of the season. Hopefully it doesnt end similiar to the TWINS/TIGERS final series.

Go Tigers!

That season ending series last year sucked.

It won't end like that this year....I've got a good feeling about this team.

I'm not saying they will win the World Series, but they will win the division and anything can happen after that.

Have fun at the games.

SouthStndJunkie
09-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Brad Penny sucks for the Tigers.

I'm tired of seeing him get blasted every 5th day.

Aftermath
09-03-2011, 07:01 PM
What a game today!!! It was on national TV too!! 2 HRs in the bottom of the 9th after a rain delay to win the game. Best ending i've seen in a long time.

SouthStndJunkie
09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
What a game today!!! It was on national TV too!! 2 HRs in the bottom of the 9th after a rain delay to win the game. Best ending i've seen in a long time.

Makes it even better as the White Sox are my least favorite team.

SouthStndJunkie
09-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Miggy is a beast and came through in the clutch again today.

He is on his way to another .320 to .330 year with 40 doubles, 30 HRs, and 100+ RBIs.

The Tigers keep him out of the fire water and he will be in the Hall of Fame.

SouthStndJunkie
09-03-2011, 10:13 PM
BTW....Austin Jackson has been crushing the ball lately, in addition to playing Gold Glove defense.

16 hits in his last 6 games.

2 doubles, 3 triples, and 2 HRs in that span.

houghtam
09-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Team of destiny is all I can say. Two games this year where they were down big, rain delay, then came back to win. Multiple other games I've watched where it looked like things were lost and then sho nuff someone (name someone, anyone) came up big late.

As for the MVP talk, yes, JV should win it, but probably won't. Granderson should NOT win it. I've never understood how as a leadoff hitter (or 2nd this year) he can strike out 150-200 times and still be considered a great offensive player.

Cabrera's more deserving of the award than Grandy.

ween1980
09-04-2011, 06:59 AM
As for the MVP talk, yes, JV should win it, but probably won't. Granderson should NOT win it. I've never understood how as a leadoff hitter (or 2nd this year) he can strike out 150-200 times and still be considered a great offensive player.

lol... .375 OBP, .951 OPS, who ****ing cares how much he strikes out. Learn something.

FADERPROOF
09-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Congrats to the Tigers, this is about the 8th time ive thrown in the towel on the Indians this year but this time it's truly over, Tigers win the division.

SouthStndJunkie
09-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Congrats to the Tigers, this is about the 8th time ive thrown in the towel on the Indians this year but this time it's truly over, Tigers win the division.

Thanks....but I'm not getting excited until we have it wrapped up.

Your Indians have a bright future and you should be excited about that.

SouthStndJunkie
09-04-2011, 12:07 PM
As for Curtis Granderson....I think he deserves to be mentioned in the MVP discussion.

He could end up with 150 runs scored, 25 doubles, 12 triples, 45 HRs, 125 to 130 RBIs, and around 30 stolen bases.

That is some pretty rare air there.

Aftermath
09-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Granderson would have at least 10 less HRs in a different stadium. I like him alot but that right field is pathetic. And yes Austin Jackson has been a beast as of late.

FADERPROOF
09-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks....but I'm not getting excited until we have it wrapped up.

Your Indians have a bright future and you should be excited about that.

Im excited for next season, this year was a surprise and glad tey stayed in it as long as they did, but a lot of young talent on the team and a bonafide #1 starter in Justin Masterson

If the white sox can make some moves then the AL central will be a great division race next year.

FADERPROOF
09-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Granderson would have at least 10 less HRs in a different stadium. I like him alot but that right field is pathetic. And yes Austin Jackson has been a beast as of late.

And you do know that only 20 of his 38 HR's have come at Yankee Stadium, right?