PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos fans will revolt if…

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
The Denver Broncos are going to have the second overall pick this year and there is speculation that they are going go after a quarterback. I don't believe they are because if they did they will lose more of the teetering fans. You could forget about sell outs and with a looming walkout you could lose most the remaining fans faster than free hotdogs at a Rockies' game. So to prevent this tragedy, I am going to write a letter to the Broncos.

More

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-8155371

jhns
03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
I could see them not liking the current QBs. I wouldn't care if they picked one if the QBs in this draft weren't so terrible. I really don't understand how teams could consider any of them in the first round.

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
how do you rename a thread?

jhns
03-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Edit, then advanced options. I think.

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks

I think the article has a point. Elway really can't go QB on day 1... or 2 for that matter. The fact that we as Bronco fans are a little worried he might is a credit to the misdirection they are spinning. At least that is what I hope he is doing.

LonghornBronco
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
I would be ok if!

We select Blain Gabbert
We trade Tebow for Jacksonvilles 1st or better.
We trade Orton for a #2.
Or Trade Quinn for a case of Coors Lt (Now he's done)
Go D with the rest of the picks.

LRtagger
03-31-2011, 09:35 AM
If there is no season in 2011, how with the 2012 draft order be determined? Will we get the #2 pick in that draft as well?

jhns
03-31-2011, 09:36 AM
If there is no season in 2011, how with the 2012 draft order be determined? Will we get the #2 pick in that draft as well?

That will be part of the new CBA, if needed. They don't know yet.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Must have missed any actual facts stated in the link. The author isn't even a real columnist, he's a Yahoo contributor (whatever the F that means) and his link at the bottom to the Pasq column is from when Tebow was drafted last year.

That entire "column" was Bleacher Report-esque.

BroncoInferno
03-31-2011, 09:49 AM
I would be ok if!

We select Blain Gabbert
We trade Tebow for Jacksonvilles 1st or better.
We trade Orton for a #2.
Or Trade Quinn for a case of Coors Lt (Now he's done)
Go D with the rest of the picks.

There is probably not going to be a CBA in place by draft time, which means players cannot be traded. So, forget about the bolded. At best, we would have to trade them for 2012 picks once the CBA is in place.

Pony Boy
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Go "all-in" with Tebow this year and if he is a total bust then we will have a shot a drafting a QB next year.

cmhargrove
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
Go "all-in" with Tebow this year and if he is a total bust then we will have a shot a drafting a QB next year.

Sign me up.

spdirty
03-31-2011, 10:10 AM
I trust John Elway to do the right thing until he gives me a reason not to.

So I'm not worried about this quarterback talk.

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Sign me up.

me too, I need something to look forward to this year.

broncos-rock
03-31-2011, 10:35 AM
Its all a smoke screen to get another team to trade out of two for more picks. Elway is playing poker right now!:thumbsup:

Garcia Bronco
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM

As things are now, yes. That could change under a new contract.

Garcia Bronco
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Taking a QB or a DB with the number 2 overall pick is stupid when we already have a great QB in the making in Tebow. Taking a DB #2 overall is stupid because of the money you'll spend, the offense slanted rules in the NFL, and most importantly great trench work will help any DB. We have poor trench workers on defense.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
As things are now, yes. That could change under a new contract.

No, that's not true and you continue to repeat it.

The NFL has said jack **** about the 2012 draft at this point because they're not going to presume the 2012 season is lost, and they're not going to make that assumption at any point along the way.

Quit ****ing telling people wrong info.

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2011, 11:03 AM
No, that's not true and you continue to repeat it.

The NFL has said jack **** about the 2012 draft at this point because they're not going to presume the 2012 season is lost, and they're not going to make that assumption at any point along the way.

Quit ****ing telling people wrong info.

Huh? Technically, as he worded it, he is correct. The key is his phrase "as things are now." Think about it. If the lockout continues "as things are now" through say the summer of 2012, then the Broncos will again pick #2 in next year's draft. This will be the case until, like he says, a new contract is signed that changes that. Nothing he said is wrong.

Boobs McGee
03-31-2011, 11:03 AM

I'm curious as to what would happen if Elway DID draft a qb...possibly got rid of Tebow?

I'm not sure how great of a talent evaluator the Duke is, but would that be enough of a reason for you to quit trusting him?

I'm just trying to guage how the fans would react in that situation. We all love John. We're all putting our trust in him. If he thinks Tebow can't cut it, and decides there is some franchise QB in this years draft, are his accolades/talent enough to quiet the storm from the possible backlash? What if he's right and Tebow can't hack it? What if he's wrong and Tebow IS a franchise qb?

I'd be really curious to see how the fanbase reacts, and how it would affect John's place in history here

Hercules Rockefeller
03-31-2011, 11:06 AM
Huh? Technically, as he worded it, he is correct. The key is his phrase "as things are now." Think about it. If the lockout continues "as things are now" through say the summer of 2012, then the Broncos will again pick #2 in next year's draft. This will be the case until, like he says, a new contract is signed that changes that. Nothing he said is wrong.

Really? If you really want to get hypertechnical and play a semantics game, the draft is a creation of and governed by the CBA. No CBA means there is no draft in existence. So technically, we can't begin to discuss the 2012 draft until there is a new CBA.

Telling people Denver picks 2nd again if there is no season is factually incorrect "as things are now."

He needs to stop repeating this myth that the draft order will remain the same if there's no season.

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2011, 11:09 AM
Really? If you really want to get hypertechnical and play a semantics game, the draft is created and governed by the CBA and no CBA means there is no draft. .

That is false. It is not in any way governed by the old CBA. There is literally nothing in the old CBA that in any way governs or even discusses the 2011 or 2012 NFL drafts.

He needs to stop repeating this myth that the draft order will remain the same if there's no season.

But it's not a myth. You are the one with your facts mixed up. I'm not guessing here.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-31-2011, 11:20 AM
That is false. It is not in any way governed by the old CBA. There is literally nothing in the old CBA that in any way governs or even discusses the 2011 or 2012 NFL drafts.

But it's not a myth. You are the one with your facts mixed up. I'm not guessing here.

Uhhh, yeah. The last thing guaranteed by the CBA that is no longer in existence was the 2011 draft, which is why the draft is still happening next month despite the lockout. If it wasn't governed by the old CBA, it wouldn't be happening since all league business is frozen. Sorry. The draft is absolutely governed by the CBA (# of rounds, # of total picks, etc.).

My facts aren't mixed up. Please link an article from a real source (NFL.com, ESPN, CNNSI, etc.) that says the draft order remains the same if the season is lost.

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2011, 11:31 AM
Uhhh, yeah. The last thing guaranteed by the CBA that is no longer in existence was the 2011 draft, which is why the draft is still happening next month despite the lockout. If it wasn't governed by the old CBA, it wouldn't be happening since all league business is frozen. Sorry. The draft is absolutely governed by the CBA (# of rounds, # of total picks, etc.).

Once again, false. Please link an article from a real source (NFL.com, ESPN, CNNSI, etc.) that says the 2011 draft is governed by the old CBA and that a 2012 draft would not be.

LonghornBronco
03-31-2011, 11:33 AM
On second thought The Bills #2 for Tebow would be good enough.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Once again, false. Please link an article from a real source (NFL.com, ESPN, CNNSI, etc.) that says the 2011 draft is governed by the old CBA and that a 2012 draft would not be.

So you can't provide a link saying the draft order is the same?

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
I'm curious as to what would happen if Elway DID draft a qb...possibly got rid of Tebow?

I'm not sure how great of a talent evaluator the Duke is, but would that be enough of a reason for you to quit trusting him?

I'm just trying to guage how the fans would react in that situation. We all love John. We're all putting our trust in him. If he thinks Tebow can't cut it, and decides there is some franchise QB in this years draft, are his accolades/talent enough to quiet the storm from the possible backlash? What if he's right and Tebow can't hack it? What if he's wrong and Tebow IS a franchise qb?

I'd be really curious to see how the fanbase reacts, and how it would affect John's place in history here

I for one would lose my ****. We have made some bad mistakes in the past that have delivered us this #2 pic. If we go QB first that would be just another bad choice in a long line of them. As much as I like to possibilities at #2, we had better not be back here again anytime soon. It would not make me check in my fan card but it sure as **** would not help.

oubronco
03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
I for one would lose my ****. We have made some bad mistakes in the past that have delivered us this #2 pic. If we go QB first that would be just another bad choice in a long line of them. As much as I like to possibilities at #2, we had better not be back here again anytime soon. It would not make me check in my fan card but it sure as **** would not help.

Even if said QB turned out to be the next Tom Brady

bendog
03-31-2011, 11:51 AM

My facts aren't mixed up. Please link an article from a real source (NFL.com, ESPN, CNNSI, etc.) that says the draft order remains the same if the season is lost.

you are not confused. This situation is not different from the years when the league operated with NO cba and NO official union certification, but just a gentleman's agreement that things would go along under the old cba. The difference this time is that the owners are locking out the players, rather than letting them continue playing under the old cba. The draft is going forward because it's in the owners interests to keep the fans happy as well as prepare for a 2011 season with a new cba that will be hammered out over the summer or fall, or God Forbid (from their side) that the courts will dissolve their lockout, and they'll actually have to play a full season with a training camp and all in 2011.

The union which is now decertified and no longer a union for labor bargaining purposes, doesn't even want college players to attend the 2011 draft. If they had any power to stop the draft from occurring, it might be in their interest to do so. But, the owners are pretty much free to do whatever they want now, unless the courts rule they cannot lockout or that they violate anti-trust laws. If the courts hold they violate anti-trust, then individual players can sue the owners for damages they contend occurred after the cba expired and the owners denied them the right to work

The owners can hold any 2012 draft they choose if there's no cba. Draw by hat, raffle it off, whatever. However, as you no doubt know, once any team starts signing players to actual contracts w/o a new cba, then the anti-trust **** really hits the fan. That could be the end of the nfl as we've known it since the AFL/NFL merger.

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2011, 11:56 AM
So you can't provide a link saying the draft order is the same?

....a very jhns thing to do. I didn't expect that from you.

You're the one who made the claim that the original statement was for some reason wrong. The burden of proof is on you.

I can't be expected to provide a link for something that doesn't exist. It's like jhns saying that someone said something. Everyone else argues that it wasn't said at all. Then he says prove it, knowing it's impossible to prove that something wasn't said. The person making the argument has to prove that he DID say it, because if he did, there would be a quote.

bendog
03-31-2011, 11:59 AM

You're the one who made the claim that the original statement was for some reason wrong. The burden of proof is on you.

I can't be expected to provide a link for something that doesn't exist. It's like jhns saying that someone said something. Everyone else argues that it wasn't said at all. Then he says prove it, knowing it's impossible to prove that something wasn't said. The person making the argument has to prove that he DID say it, because if he did, there would be a quote.

What? If someone contends the draft order is the same, don't they have to put up or shut up? The reality is no one knows what the draft order would be since the owners have to agree, and ultimately it would have to somehow be ratified by labor. You can't prove a negative, i.e. it's undetermined and a matter of opinion.

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2011, 12:02 PM
What? If someone contends the draft order is the same, don't they have to put up or shut up? The reality is no one knows what the draft order would be since the owners have to agree, and ultimately it would have to somehow be ratified by labor. You can't prove a negative, i.e. it's undetermined and a matter of opinion.

You don't have to prove the status quo. It's common sense. Let's try this:

Look at it this way: lockout continues until draft day 2012. For anything OTHER than a repeat of 2011's order to happen, that means the owners got together and made a decision to change it. Correct?

That is all Garcia and I are saying. UNLESS a new agreement is reached (not necessarily a new CBA. Just a new agreement/contract between the owners), then everything stays the same. This is simple logic.

Nobody else but Carolina can pick first next year without a new agreement among the owners or a new CBA. Period.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-31-2011, 12:04 PM

Actually it's on you since you're still trying to say it's the same order, but in response to your question asking if the CBA governed both the 2011 and 2012 NFL Draft, why don't you look at the ****ing CBA?

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/cba/nfl-cba-2006-2012.pdf

Pg. 46
Article 16
Section 1

Section 1. Time of Draft: There shall be an Annual Selection Meeting (the
“College Draft” or “Draft”) each League Year during the term of this Agreement
and in the League Year immediately following the expiration or termination
of this Agreement, with respect to which the following rules shall
apply:

This is the Leauge Year immediately following the expiration of this agreement.

That's 2011. The CBA applies to this year's draft, but does not apply to the 2012 draft.

kiss me, and tell me that you love me Beantown.

Now show me an article that says the draft orders are the same.

Edit: That's what comes up with a B L O W M E?

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Herc Look up the definition of "final league year" on page 7. It's 2012.

Hercules Rockefeller
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
Herc Look up the definition of "final league year" on page 7. It's 2012.

Final League Year was 2012 if one side didn't opt early.

Go to Page 238, it talks about the duration of the agreement and that 2010 is the Final League Year if someone opts out.

bendog
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
The owners OPTED OUT OF THE CBA. There is no cba.

oubronco
03-31-2011, 12:23 PM
It will work itself out

jhns
03-31-2011, 12:28 PM

It wouldn't be impossible to prove, if true.... How would you know it was the same if that was the case?

You have a horrible spin going here. Now the person that refutes the claim has to prove it? In your example of me, and what you always pull, is that the person making the original claim is the one needing to prove it. Otherwise those that claim someone didn't say something, are the ones that would have to prove it.

Typical Bean. Spout off about something you don't know and then do no work to prove it. Nothing new.

The reality is, the person making the claim should prove it and the person refuting the claim should also prove it. That is the only civil way to debate.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-31-2011, 12:37 PM
I dont get why people are willing to throw Tebow away for an unknown with Gabbert. Did people seriously not watch the Texans game last year?

Beantown Bronco
03-31-2011, 12:42 PM
It wouldn't be impossible to prove, if true.... How would you know it was the same if that was the case?

By definition, the status quo in any situation remains in place until something changes it. This isn't rocket science here.

The original question Garcia was answering assumed there would be a 2012 draft, so the question of whether or not there will be one was taken off the table. Now, for draft order: for anyone other than Carolina and Denver to have the #1 and #2 picks next year (if there was still a lockout), some new agreement would have to be reached. There's no document that will prove or disprove this.

TailgateNut
03-31-2011, 01:00 PM

I'd send him some cigars and a good bottle o liquor!

jhns
03-31-2011, 01:13 PM
By definition, the status quo in any situation remains in place until something changes it. This isn't rocket science here.

The original question Garcia was answering assumed there would be a 2012 draft, so the question of whether or not there will be one was taken off the table. Now, for draft order: for anyone other than Carolina and Denver to have the #1 and #2 picks next year (if there was still a lockout), some new agreement would have to be reached. There's no document that will prove or disprove this.

That question didn't assume anything. Answering it with, "there may not be a draft unless they agree on something.", would be the correct response. It is also a lot more true than what you are saying. Saying we keep the same pick, based on nothing, is not the correct answer.

LRtagger
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Here's how it will play out

2010 - Draft Tebow
2011 - Elway determines Tebow is not a franchise QB and reaches for Gabbert after Carolina takes Newton #1
2012 - There is no NFL season and it's determines the draft order will stay the same. Carolina sticks with Newton and takes Kalil or Coples. Andrew Luck falls into our laps and Elway is giddy like a little schoolgirl.

2010 - Tebow
2011 - Gabbert
2012 - Luck

OM meltdown.

oubronco
03-31-2011, 01:27 PM

2010 - Draft Tebow
2011 - Elway determines Tebow is not a franchise QB and reaches for Gabbert after Carolina takes Newton #1
2012 - There is no NFL season and it's determines the draft order will stay the same. Carolina sticks with Newton and takes Kalil or Coples. Andrew Luck falls into our laps and Elway is giddy like a little schoolgirl.

2010 - Tebow
2011 - Gabbert
2012 - Luck

OM meltdown.

That would be EPIC

yerner
03-31-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't see them taking a qb in the first round. But if someone they like falls to the 2nd I wouldn't be surprised. I think we all learned from the Cutler trade that if a coach and front office don't want to work with 'their guy' at qb it's not going to work out well.

Drunk Monkey
03-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Even if said QB turned out to be the next Tom Brady

If that was the guaranteed outcome then absolutely. Having said that we all know the draft is a crap shoot. I saw enough out of Tebow to give me hope. If he doesn't work out Orton is a top 1/3 QB that can hold the line. I know he gets no love on here but he is better then most other QB's in the league. One thing is for sure, our QB position is more sound then our D line. We need to draft appropriately.

enjolras
03-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Nobody has any idea what the draft looks like in 2012 if no 2011 season is played. Anyone who claims otherwise is just talking out their arse. The draft is managed outside of the CBA, which means its completely up to the owners to do whatever they feel like really.

That said, my BET would be that they would keep the order the same except reverse the tie-breakers. So the Broncos would be selecting 4th in that case.

It wouldn't surprise me if they went to some sort of weighted lottery for that draft too.

Lets hope we don't find out.

oubronco
03-31-2011, 02:57 PM
If that was the guaranteed outcome then absolutely. Having said that we all know the draft is a crap shoot. I saw enough out of Tebow to give me hope. If he doesn't work out Orton is a top 1/3 QB that can hold the line. I know he gets no love on here but he is better then most other QB's in the league. One thing is for sure, our QB position is more sound then our D line. We need to draft appropriately.

I totally agree with that if they select a QB and pass on Dareus i'm going to be one pissed sumbeech

bronco militia
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM

2010 - Draft Tebow

2010 - Tebow
2011 - Gabbert
2012 - Luck

OM meltdown.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/45895/81404787.gif

oubronco
03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
WTF?

FireFly
03-31-2011, 03:58 PM
I don't think other teams are going to believe that we're going to draft a QB. I'm surprised any fans do as well!

If Luck had come out, it would be a different story

ColoradoDarin
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
Elway, "The fans are revolting"
Fox, "They certainly are!"

Liquid Courage
03-31-2011, 04:16 PM

Ditto. Let Tebow run with it (hopefully for figurative than literal) and if he falls on his face then we get Luck-y in next year's draft . . . if he brings what I think he can bring us then we create our own luck. :)

peacepipe
03-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Its all a smoke screen to get another team to trade out of two for more picks. Elway is playing poker right now!:thumbsup:the only problem is,he's not fooling anyone. he's bluffing & everyone knows it.

Jetmeck
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
This is just plain stupid. There is no QB in this draft any better than what we already have. For christ sake...........defense

deserthealer007
03-31-2011, 05:26 PM
I've been lurking here for a long time and finally decided to come out and say "hi" and post something. I have no clue what the team intends to do with Tebow or the draft but here is what I would like to see happen:

Assuming we even have a season this year, keep both Tebow and Orton. Whoever is better at the start of the season gets the starting job. If Orton is still playing better than Tebow, let Orton start. Keep Tebow as an understudy / backup until he is ready to start, as long as he keeps learning, progressing, and improving. When he is ready, start him. Look how long Aaron Rogers backed up Brett Favre before he finally got to start. I think that worked out pretty well. If Tebow is better at the start of the season, start Tebow and keep Orton for the rest of the year as a backup, then if he is unhappy on the bench, trade him next season for draft picks.

IMHO, we need to draft as many good defensive players right now as we can. QB is not our biggest problem and there are way better places to spend money and draft picks than at QB. I would hate to trade Tebow and then have him become a star somewhere else.

I would not trade Tebow because it is better to have 2 good QB's than what could happen if we did trade him. Let's say we trade him for some more draft picks or for a couple of decent defensive players. Then what do we have at QB? Kyle Orton (who is pretty good as a pocket passer but can't run), and Brady Quinn as our starter if Orton gets hurt. Does anyone really want that? I don't. The way it stands right now, we have Orton starting (which is good) and Tebow to back him up if he gets hurt, and we also have Tebow to use in certain plays (which worked pretty well last season).

Bottom line: I would leave the QB situation as is for now and concentrate on the defense.

THE719!
03-31-2011, 05:30 PM
its all smoke screens, we wont get a QB we will def be getting a front 7 guy though

TDmvp
03-31-2011, 05:36 PM
This is just plain stupid. There is no QB in this draft any better than what we already have. For christ sake...........defense

Yup ... and If we draft anything on O side with the first two picks they should be kicked off the planet.

mhgaffney
03-31-2011, 06:04 PM

Right. Agreed.

It's probably all smoke.

Boomhauer
03-31-2011, 08:12 PM
1) Kyle Orton starts next year or is named starter this summer.
2) The Broncos draft a QB in the first round this month.

QB situation this year: Quinn - Tebow - MidRnd Pick with dept TBD :lombardi:
'Ol girly-arm is gone and I for one could care less what we get for him.

peacepipe
03-31-2011, 10:18 PM
This is just plain stupid. There is no QB in this draft any better than what we already have. For christ sake...........defenseI beg to differ, if your basing that on tebow. with the exception of newton,every QB is better than tebow.

colonelbeef
03-31-2011, 11:21 PM

agreed, have to see what Tebow is first