PDA

View Full Version : Joe Mays

bap454
03-28-2011, 11:58 AM
We hear Broncos LB Joe Mays(notes) has likely earned a larger role on the team next year. Mays, who was acquired when Denver shipped RB J.J. Arrington(notes) to the Eagles prior to the 2010 season, has been a standout on special teams since arriving in Denver. He made 30 tackles in four consecutive starts at an ILB position last season before a knee injury ended his season. He is currently being considered a starter in head coach John Fox's new 4-3 defensive scheme.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApWJR9GdXEm0EzrwAYmIxEJDubYF?slug=pfw-20110327_new_rule_change_means_smith_likely_return ing_to_je

This guy was a beast last year. Does this eliminate a need for an ILB in the draft?? Regardless - with Mays in the middle, Doom on the edge, and Marcel Dareus on the line, the defense will be much improved. Thoughts?

LonghornBronco
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I like this!

mhgaffney
03-28-2011, 12:01 PM
We still need help at LB.

BroncoMan4ever
03-28-2011, 12:12 PM
we still need a young guy. Mays is good but he isn't an every down player.

oubronco
03-28-2011, 12:13 PM
DJ, Mays, Haggan are the starters as of now

Do you think we need an upgrade?

Beantown Bronco
03-28-2011, 12:17 PM

IMO, yes.

Although I don't see anyone in the draft or FA (unless the new CBA retroactively allows all 5th and 6th year guys to become UFAs) that would be a significant enough upgrade to invest heavily in the position. This is a terrible draft for LBs, so unless they're in love with Von Miller and trade down some to get him, I just don't see any real investment in this position until a new CBA is hammered out and free agency and trades start up again.

jsco70
03-28-2011, 12:19 PM
I thought he played very well last year and would like to see him get a shot as starter. He reminds me of Woodyard in that both have physical deficiencies (Woodyard - size, Mays - speed) but they have an intangible that causes them to succeed.

bap454
03-28-2011, 12:23 PM
No problem with mays/dj. Haggan could Definately be upgraded. The one guy that is absolute garbage is hunter. Not exactly sure where he fits in a 4-3 alignment? The man would quit on plays, no hustle,- just no damn fight. Waste of roster spot.

montrose
03-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Not sure Mays has the speed to be a 4-3 MLB, thought he was best suited as a 3-4 SILB. That said, he's probably the best option Denver has (the next being moving DJ inside and starting Woody at WLB). DJ's best position is 4-3 WLB and Fox has already spoken glowingly about him and I think Haggan should be good enough at 4-3 SLB. Mays is a sick north-south run stuffer so as long as either Woody or Haggan can flank DJ in the nickel I think Denver can be okay at the position although I'd like to see a few guys brought in via free agency and the draft.

bronco militia
03-28-2011, 12:40 PM
didn't Mays tear his ACL? that's a tough one to come back from in one offseason

oubronco
03-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Not sure Mays has the speed to be a 4-3 MLB, thought he was best suited as a 3-4 SILB. That said, he's probably the best option Denver has (the next being moving DJ inside and starting Woody at WLB). DJ's best position is 4-3 WLB and Fox has already spoken glowingly about him and I think Haggan should be good enough at 4-3 SLB. Mays is a sick north-south run stuffer so as long as either Woody or Haggan can flank DJ in the nickel I think Denver can be okay at the position although I'd like to see a few guys brought in via free agency and the draft.

What about Martez Wilson, ILB, Illinois

Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
Ran a 4.44 40
Benched 225 23 times.

Projected Round (2011): 1-2.

schaaf
03-28-2011, 12:50 PM
I would be okay with Wilson.

The knock for him is that he isn't very instinctual.

oubronco
03-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
Combine 40 Time: DNP.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.70.
Benchx225: 22. Vertical: 33.5. Arm: 31 3/4.
Projected Round (2011): 3-4.

Mario Harvey, ILB, Marshall
Height: 6-0. Weight: 257.
Projected 40 Time: 4.76.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.43.
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: . Arm: .
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

Colin McCarthy, ILB, Miami
Height: 6-1. Weight: 238.
Projected 40 Time: 4.61.
Combine 40 Time: 4.64.
Pro Day 40 Time: DNP.
Benchx225: 23. Vertical: 36.5. Arm: 29 1/2.
Projected Round (2011): 3-5.

Nate Irving, ILB, North Carolina State
Height: 6-1. Weight: 240.
Projected 40 Time: 4.82.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.76.
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: 32.5. Arm: 33 1/4.

bap454
03-28-2011, 01:09 PM
damb ....guy just got a promotion and guys are trying to draft his replacement already.

TonyR
03-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Mays failed with the Eagles when given the opportunity to start inside in the 4-3 in Philadelphia which is why they let him go for nothing. One major weakness is that he can't cover RB's or TE's because he's too slow.

Beantown Bronco
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Mays failed with the Eagles when given the opportunity to start inside in the 4-3 in Philadelphia which is why they let him go for nothing. One major weakness is that he can't cover RB's or TE's because he's too slow.

To be fair, the Broncos coaches have only really seen him covering the Broncos TEs and RBs, who (as everyone has so timely pointed out just today) are collectively the slowest in the league. So he probably looks like an all pro out there on the practice field. :)

Al Wilson
03-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Kelvin Sheppard, ILB, LSU
Height: 6-2. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.70.
Benchx225: 22. Vertical: 33.5. Arm: 31 3/4.
I hope we get this guy. He is a real talent at ILB. I don't mind Mays as I think he is very underrated, and he isn't slow (go watch the games again).

LonghornBronco
03-28-2011, 01:42 PM

At least he has the last name right.

LonghornBronco
03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Mario Harvey, ILB, Marshall
Height: 6-0. Weight: 257.
Projected 40 Time: 4.76.
Pro Day 40 Time: 4.43.
Benchx225: 27. Vertical: . Arm: .
Projected Round (2011): 4-6.

Impressive... Anyone have an opinion on this guy?

gyldenlove
03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
IMO, yes.

Although I don't see anyone in the draft or FA (unless the new CBA retroactively allows all 5th and 6th year guys to become UFAs) that would be a significant enough upgrade to invest heavily in the position. This is a terrible draft for LBs, so unless they're in love with Von Miller and trade down some to get him, I just don't see any real investment in this position until a new CBA is hammered out and free agency and trades start up again.

I agree, we will definitely need some speed at the LB position with Mays and Haggan there, we are going to have serious coverage issues.

bap454
03-28-2011, 01:53 PM

I was definately on board with the guy early in the process. However there has been a bunch of bad reviews on him as of late. Last I heard he could drop to the 3rd round where i would definately feel good about taking him.

serious hops
03-28-2011, 02:12 PM

Is this trick question?

oubronco
03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Is this trick question?

It was to the op

BroncoMan4ever
03-28-2011, 03:49 PM

so we pair our un-instinctual WLB with an un-instictual MLB?

FireFly
03-28-2011, 04:22 PM
LBer is a weakness for us. The only player we have that could start on a good team is DJ and even then he's had up and down years depending on how he's being used.

I was really high on Mays in the 3-4. In the 4-3 I think he is a liability. If we're playing 4-3, MLB is one of the single most important positions on the whole team! It needs to be our strength almost our best player!

We might win some games with him there, but our Defense will never be dominant in Mays in the middle imo.

Shananahan
03-28-2011, 04:27 PM
damb ....guy just got a promotion and guys are trying to draft his replacement already.
I wouldn't exactly call being considered the starter by default a promotion.

AmericanBroncFan
03-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Dj is DONE! The guy can't cover anybody and he's not man enough to play the middle. Shanny ruined this player by switching him back and forth from inside to outside and back again. He was never able to get special at one spot.

Boomhauer
03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Mays is a heavy hitter inside, but can't get outside and is a zero in pass protection. I hope to never see him start again. Haggan has straight line speed, but is weak at the point and clumsy. He might be our SLB, but I'm hoping he and Mays only play SP-Ts and reserve.

meangene
03-28-2011, 05:26 PM
I think Mays has earned a shot at the starting MLB job based on his play for us last year. Unlike most of our defense last year, he will flat out hit you! I also think Woodyard could well beat out DJ at WLB.

broncosteven
03-28-2011, 05:32 PM

Yep, he was terrible in coverage, I would hate to see him drop back and cover a TE running down the seam.

Mays is a great ST player and above avg vs the run but a liability in the passing game.

I was wondering if they could bulk him up and use him along the line somehow to take advantage of his run D. Kinda like a Randy White tweener DT?

broncosteven
03-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Dj is DONE! The guy can't cover anybody and he's not man enough to play the middle. Shanny ruined this player by switching him back and forth from inside to outside and back again. He was never able to get special at one spot.

DJ was our best defender last year up until his arrest and we started the last of mCd's patented 4 game losing streaks

Missouribronc
03-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Awesome. A third straight coach infatuated with undersized, fast linebackers who overrun plays.

TonyR
03-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Awesome. A third straight coach infatuated with undersized, fast linebackers who overrun plays.

He's not small at 246 (although shortish at 5-11) and he's not fast. But I'm with you that he isn't the answer.

broncosteven
03-28-2011, 08:37 PM
He's not small at 246 (although shortish at 5-11) and he's not fast. But I'm with you that he isn't the answer.

I thought he was closer to 260 or more. He looks bigger on TV.

TheReverend
03-28-2011, 08:42 PM
I like Mays. He's too slow to not be a liability in coverage, but not nearly as big a weakness in that area as Trotter was and he single handedly made a MAJOR impact in the run game and blitzing A gaps.

We'd need a strong cover SAM though (Carolina FA James Anderson would be PERFECT and not only bandaid the unit but make it even better than serviceable)

Lestat
03-28-2011, 08:44 PM
still need to find a star LB. i wish DJ could find that "it" factor he had in his rookie year. the DL and LB positions are big needs in the draft and i will not be mad if the first 4-5 picks are all D.

Dedhed
03-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Impressive... Anyone have an opinion on this guy?
Looks about as good at finding a gap as DJ; ergo, not very impressive.

Dedhed
03-28-2011, 09:22 PM
DJ was our best defender last year up until his arrest and we started the last of mCd's patented 4 game losing streaks
That's not even close to true on any level.

SoCalBronco
03-28-2011, 09:25 PM
That's not even close to true on any level.

Really? So Josh goes out of way to spend 3 minutes complimenting someone for no reason?

That's what I thought.

broncosteven
03-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Really? So Josh goes out of way to spend 3 minutes complimenting someone for no reason?

That's what I thought.

It is a shame that DJ decided to drive liquored up a week or 2 after that not that it would have got us any more wins.

SoCalBronco
03-28-2011, 09:35 PM
It is a shame that DJ decided to drive liquored up a week or 2 after that not that it would have got us any more wins.

Indeed

TheReverend
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
I did think last year was DJ's best in a LONGGGGGG time.

That's the most complimentary I'll get towards him before I jinx it and he sucks again.

teknic
03-28-2011, 10:38 PM
still need to find a star LB. i wish DJ could find that "it" factor he had in his rookie year. the DL and LB positions are big needs in the draft and i will not be mad if the first 4-5 picks are all D.

I'm hoping to either add Von Miller in the draft, or in my dream scenario, to convince Carolina that Orton is more valuable than a rookie QB, throw in a third and get Beason from them. I can dream...or play madden.

Dedhed
03-28-2011, 11:18 PM

It's a shame that Shanny had the defensive IQ of an ogre and thought that DJ could play anywhere but on the weak side.

Dedhed
03-28-2011, 11:20 PM

That's what I thought.
Not sure what Josh has to do with this thread. Doesn't really fit your MO to be proclaiming McD an authority.

However, it does fit your MO to utterly contradict yourself, so I guess we're par for the course.

SoCalBronco
03-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Not sure what Josh has to do with this thread. Doesn't really fit your MO to be proclaiming McD an authority.

However, it does fit your MO to utterly contradict yourself, so I guess we're par for the course.

Josh is relevant to the extent that you have a HC going out of his way to continuously praise a player that he didn't draft. That's a very relevant point...it goes to the level of play of the player according to his coach. It's at the heart of the matter. I don't see what's contradictory about that. Did I like everything Josh did? No. But at the end of the day, you still hav the chief evaluator on the team speaking in very positive words about a player that he didn't draft, so there's no inherent self-serving theme there. I think its a very important reflection on his level of play. Keep up the ad hominems though, you're good at that.

Dedhed
03-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Josh is relevant to the extent that you have a HC going out of his way to continuously praise a player that he didn't draft. That's a very relevant point...it goes to the level of play of the player according to his coach. It's at the heart of the matter. I don't see what's contradictory about that. Did I like everything Josh did? No. But at the end of the day, you still hav the chief evaluator on the team speaking in very positive words about a player that he didn't draft, so there's no inherent self-serving theme there. I think its a very important reflection on his level of play. Keep up the ad hominems though, you're good at that.

The most praise I ever give is when a puppy craps outside of the the house.

Requiem
03-29-2011, 01:52 AM
Mays did fine in a similar defense @ NDSU in his college days. If he is @ MIKE and DJ goes to WILL, I think that is beneficial to the team. He can get downhill and attack the ball carrier. His height and lack of fluidity are concerns when he's dropping back into pass coverage. It really isn't an issue of speed. He plays fast downhill, which is what is going to matter in a Fox defensive scheme. If the coaches didn't think he could do this, he wouldn't be considered for an expanded role. It is that simple. Do this move, draft Mason Foster and we are good to go at LB.

bap454
03-29-2011, 01:59 AM
Just a thought on prospective prospects :approve:: If Akeem Ayers were to fall to our second round- would he be an option? His measureables look adequate. 6'2''1/2 / 254lbs. Just dont know much about the cat other than hes projected to a 3-4 team.

Broncos_OTM
03-29-2011, 02:39 AM

joe mays was never and will never be considered a burner... what a waste of the last two years

Broncos_OTM
03-29-2011, 02:40 AM
Just a thought on prospective prospects :approve:: If Akeem Ayers were to fall to our second round- would he be an option? His measureables look adequate. 6'2''1/2 / 254lbs. Just dont know much about the cat other than hes projected to a 3-4 team.

Hes played SLB in college extensivley. looks as though his combine idnt do so well he could be coming out f the first a type of player fox likes totake a look at... as far as guys dropping

dbfan21
03-29-2011, 06:07 AM
We hear Broncos LB Joe Mays(notes) has likely earned a larger role on the team next year. Mays, who was acquired when Denver shipped RB J.J. Arrington(notes) to the Eagles prior to the 2010 season, has been a standout on special teams since arriving in Denver. He made 30 tackles in four consecutive starts at an ILB position last season before a knee injury ended his season. He is currently being considered a starter in head coach John Fox's new 4-3 defensive scheme.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApWJR9GdXEm0EzrwAYmIxEJDubYF?slug=pfw-20110327_new_rule_change_means_smith_likely_return ing_to_je

This guy was a beast last year. Does this eliminate a need for an ILB in the draft?? Regardless - with Mays in the middle, Doom on the edge, and Marcel Dareus on the line, the defense will be much improved. Thoughts?

We need some depth at all three LB positions. Adding to that via the draft (and possibly FA) will help us when (not if) injuries occur.

missingnumber7
03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
We need some depth at all three LB positions. Adding to that via the draft (and possibly FA) will help us when (not if) injuries occur.

If last season showed anything...it was this.

I've watched Joe since his first spring game at NDSU. The guy is a beast...all heart. His Junior year he got run over for a TD that cost the game at University of Minnesota. The whole next year was about getting bigger and stronger, better at filling gaps so that it wouldn't happen and the next year he work paid off, and he ended up getting drafted. He gives 100% when he steps on the field at all times. He does lack size, height, but has the strength and speed to play MLB in a 4-3. I have been banging the Mays drum since he arrived in denver.

Requiem
03-29-2011, 08:22 AM
GO BISON.