PDA

View Full Version : PPV

tsiguy96
03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
would you pay a certain fee each week to see any games? if NFL went to a PPV model that is, which is the only next logical step in terms of them bringing in more income. 9+ billion dollars is not enough to split amount ~2000 people.

say it was 9.99 each week to watch the broncos play (only the denver game), would you pay it?

That One Guy
03-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Not a chance. Only reason I watch now is because it's free.

2KBack
03-27-2011, 12:29 PM
As a non Colorado resident without Direct TV, I would totally pay to be able to see the Broncos every week.

Tombstone RJ
03-27-2011, 12:42 PM
would you pay a certain fee each week to see any games? if NFL went to a PPV model that is, which is the only next logical step in terms of them bringing in more income. 9+ billion dollars is not enough to split amount ~2000 people.

say it was 9.99 each week to watch the broncos play (only the denver game), would you pay it?

Yah, I could do that. I'd rather pay a $10 spot for the Broncos games I can't see (I get to see 80-90% of them) rather than paying $400 a year for NFL Sunday Ticket.

I honestly don't understand why the NFL didn't do this in the first place, other than the fact that perhaps they thought the Sunday Ticket thing would be easier to divide up the money between the teams since anyone who wants the Ticket can see every team play, not just the one they are interested in.

for arguments sake, let's say that the NFL goes to a pay per view system and a team like the Broncos brings in half the money a team like the Cowboys brings in. So what, it's all thrown into the same pool and split evenly between the owners. I know this is not poplular with Jerra Jones, but it's got to be this way for the smaller market teams.

Chris
03-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Yes. Do you work for the NFL?

If not, why are you torturing me?

tsiguy96
03-27-2011, 12:43 PM
im talking about PPV replacing all regularly scheduled NFL games...i dont know if they would though, im sure it would reduce advertising dollars pretty significantly. what if it was 20 dollars a week?

Tombstone RJ
03-27-2011, 12:48 PM
im talking about PPV replacing all regularly scheduled NFL games...i dont know if they would though, im sure it would reduce advertising dollars pretty significantly. what if it was 20 dollars a week?

oh, well then no. I don't think people is Denver should have to pay to see the Broncos. If someone in PA want's to watch the Broncos because it's not scheduled to be on their local station, then I think they should be able to have a pay-per-view option.

I think the NFL should have the entire Sunday Ticket package option and a pay per view option too. Why not both?

That One Guy
03-27-2011, 01:10 PM
oh, well then no. I don't think people is Denver should have to pay to see the Broncos. If someone in PA want's to watch the Broncos because it's not scheduled to be on their local station, then I think they should be able to have a pay-per-view option.

I think the NFL should have the entire Sunday Ticket package option and a pay per view option too. Why not both?

I'd be ok with that. Take the current slate and leave it as it is but add the option of PPV for any extra games.

I'd say that with the money they get from TV dollars as a whole, they don't want to get into the issue of having competing games, how that will draw from the contracts, etc. As long as they can make as much money as they currently are, why mess with a system you can regularly count on?

Wes Mantooth
03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Yes.

tsiguy96
03-27-2011, 02:34 PM
i guess im not just talking about PPV in addition to normal TV games and directtv, im talking about people having to pay to watch football unless its primetime or whatever. pay to watch EVERY game you want to see, a true PPV model.

AmericanBroncFan
03-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I couldn't stand watching orton for free. I couldn't stand watching this defense full of women for free. So NO!!!!!! Unless orton is gone and this D full of girls improves, I wouldn't pay.
If orton is the starter and he's not benched after the first time he goes down in the fetal position, I will no longer be a Bronco fan. 30yrs of fanship GONE!!!!

oubronco
03-27-2011, 02:53 PM
It would all depend on if I could watch it online like I usually do, why pay if I don't have to

That One Guy
03-27-2011, 03:00 PM
I couldn't stand watching orton for free. I couldn't stand watching this defense full of women for free. So NO!!!!!! Unless orton is gone and this D full of girls improves, I wouldn't pay.
If orton is the starter and he's not benched after the first time he goes down in the fetal position, I will no longer be a Bronco fan. 30yrs of fanship GONE!!!!

I think that's the key to the free model. Even crappy teams get watched. Under PPV, you'd see certain teams playing for noone particularly as the season progressed and playoffs hopes shrunk.

elsid13
03-27-2011, 03:01 PM
i guess im not just talking about PPV in addition to normal TV games and directtv, im talking about people having to pay to watch football unless its primetime or whatever. pay to watch EVERY game you want to see, a true PPV model.

It will never happen, there is to much risk to revenue stream compared to the current over the air model/Direct TV model. The next steps for NFL would be offer the NFL package to cable companies, which Direct TV would fight by offering NFL more money, and over the internet season long pass offering from their website.

KipCorrington25
03-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah I agree with the guy above, buying a PPV of Orton is like buying a UFC event with Josh Koscheck, aint gonna happen.

RhymesayersDU
03-27-2011, 03:46 PM

LOL LOL LOL

If you're going to stop being a fan because of Kyle Orton, you're a tool.

I hate the guy too, but I'm not going to stop rooting for the team.

Boomhauer
03-27-2011, 03:49 PM
No. Not even for playoffs. I'd never buy a sports package, only a seat at the bar if applicable.

RhymesayersDU
03-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Anyways, what I think would be an interesting model would be the following:

1) You have the normal CBS/FOX/ESPN games, per usual. Local/Regional markets, etc.
2) You have the full Sunday Ticket.
3) You have a pay per view option, based on paying per-game.

Why it would work:
-You still get free games every week, as normal.
-For the people who like having every game, Sunday Ticket would be cheaper than purchasing every game separately.
-But for people who might just want to buy a single game, for whatever reason, they'd be able to as well. Or maybe somebody doesn't want every single game with Ticket, but want to buy their team every week, etc.

If I had to guess, I think the NFL thinks that they can just get people to pay for Sunday Ticket... But I think it'd be a great idea. I wouldn't use it much because the Broncos are always on here in ABQ, but they should do something like that.

Miss I.
03-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Oh please you would totally watch a bunch of women tackling people. Don't be lying now. I mean you don't seem to have any problem watching a bunch of men in pads and tights jumping on each other, slapping each other on the arses and chestbumping. If it was chicks, you'd probably pay more because I am fairly certain most heterosexual males like chicks in tights jumping on each other, especially if mud is involved.

And as for Kyle Orton, if he's the reason you give up being a fan, well that's just sad and frankly the fanbase is better off. Kyle Orton did not ask to be traded to us. He's given us as much as he's capable given the really nasty situation he walked into (new coach with poor management skills, a fan based pissed off from the get go, no running game, a crap defense coupled with his limitations, is it any wonder we have the team we do?). Without a running game it was only a matter of time before the offense crashed. When every other team in the NFL knows you can't do anything but pass and your QB is not that mobile it isn't that difficult to defend. And then if you have any kind of offense, our defense isn't that hard to get past.

As for paying, no I would not pay. Even if I did live in the US right now I would not pay, but it has nothing to do with the team, so much as there are too many other ways to get what I need without paying, there is no reason to pay for it.

Smilin Assassin
03-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Speaking of which....anyone know what DirecTV is planning on doing this year?

ie; Are they jacking the price again? Charging installments at the same time, even though right now, there's no guarantee of a season this year?

If they raise the price yet again, this may be the first year I don't have Sunday Ticket since '95......sad.

Taco John
03-27-2011, 04:12 PM
I already have PPV. It's called NFL Direct Ticket

Dr. Broncenstein
03-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Speaking of which....anyone know what DirecTV is planning on doing this year?

ie; Are they jacking the price again? Charging installments at the same time, even though right now, there's no guarantee of a season this year?

If they raise the price yet again, this may be the first year I don't have Sunday Ticket since '95......sad.

I cancelled my Sunday Ticket subscription until the labor issue is resolved. They start billing installments in August, and I'd be willing to bet they won't be forthcoming with refunds in the event of a work stoppage. DirecTV is already making this difficult by requiring you to call in order to cancel Sunday Ticket. Everything else can be managed online.

TDmvp
03-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I already have PPV. It's called NFL Direct Ticket

yupyup

That One Guy
03-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Anyways, what I think would be an interesting model would be the following:

1) You have the normal CBS/FOX/ESPN games, per usual. Local/Regional markets, etc.
2) You have the full Sunday Ticket.
3) You have a pay per view option, based on paying per-game.

Why it would work:
-You still get free games every week, as normal.
-For the people who like having every game, Sunday Ticket would be cheaper than purchasing every game separately.
-But for people who might just want to buy a single game, for whatever reason, they'd be able to as well. Or maybe somebody doesn't want every single game with Ticket, but want to buy their team every week, etc.

If I had to guess, I think the NFL thinks that they can just get people to pay for Sunday Ticket... But I think it'd be a great idea. I wouldn't use it much because the Broncos are always on here in ABQ, but they should do something like that.

I have to think they'd lose more from TV deals when the networks realize they wont have a monopoly over the football viewing audience than they'd get from people actually watching PPVs. It's why they're so anal about Sirius not broadcasting games on Sirius online, NFL.com broadcast thing not working stateside, etc. They have to protect their golden goose first and foremost and that's the network TV deals.

RhymesayersDU
03-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I have to think they'd lose more from TV deals when the networks realize they wont have a monopoly over the football viewing audience than they'd get from people actually watching PPVs. It's why they're so anal about Sirius not broadcasting games on Sirius online, NFL.com broadcast thing not working stateside, etc. They have to protect their golden goose first and foremost and that's the network TV deals.

See, I considered that, but the way I see it, you're still watching Fox or CBS, right? I mean, the commercials will still be airing, etc. I mean, with NFL Sunday Ticket as it is now all you're doing is being able to choose which Fox or CBS broadcast you watch. So I thought it might not make a difference. It's just allowing people to not be tied to regional broadcasting issues.

That One Guy
03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
See, I considered that, but the way I see it, you're still watching Fox or CBS, right? I mean, the commercials will still be airing, etc. I mean, with NFL Sunday Ticket as it is now all you're doing is being able to choose which Fox or CBS broadcast you watch. So I thought it might not make a difference. It's just allowing people to not be tied to regional broadcasting issues.

Ahh... I've never had DTV, I thought they gave you their own commercials and whatnot. Definitely not the same issue then.

RhymesayersDU
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Not as far as I know. I don't buy Sunday Ticket but I'll flip around on that week 1 preview. As far as I can tell, it's still all Fox and CBS broadcasts.

OBF1
03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
I would not

chadta
03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
There are a couple of hockey teams in canada that already do this, Im not sure what they charge or how sucessfull it is tho.

Personally i split on the sports package, so i get ever sport going for 25 bucks a month split between 3 people, that includes hockey and football, so i would rather keep what i have now.

Mountain Bronco
03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Only if there are no ads.