PDA

View Full Version : Marty Ball is Back!

bronco militia
03-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Martyball is back

As expected, the Virginia Destroyers of the UFL have hired a head coach whose NFL career came to an abrupt end after a 14-2 performance in 2006.

Marty Schottenheimer, who consistently has said that he wont return to coaching, has succeeded Jay Gruden as coach of the team. In the NFL, Schottenheimer coached the Browns, Chiefs, Redskins, and Chargers.

I am excited to lead the Destroyers and am eager to return to the football field in Virginia, Schottenheimer said in a release issued by the UFL. I have been impressed with the fervor and passion that has been created in the region for a team that has yet to play a down of football. I promise the fans there that we will repay them with a great product on the field and a franchise to make them proud.

Schottenheimer is the third coach of a team that has never played a game. Joe Moglia initially got the job, but he was transferred to Omaha after Jeff Jagodzinski was fired. Then, Jay Gruden became the coach once the Florida Tuskers moved to Virginia and became the Destroyers. Gruden has since been hired by the Bengals to serve as offensive coordinator.

The UFL now has five teams and four former NFL head coaches Schottenheimer, Jerry Glanville, Dennis Green, and Jim Fassel.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/23/martyball-is-back/

bendog
03-23-2011, 01:35 PM
astounding.

Killericon
03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
This is just too weird. How did no one offer him an NFL job?

Then again, maybe someone did and he just thought this would be more fun.

I don't know what the hell to think. Good luck, Marty. I'm glad it's Norv and not you.

jhns
03-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I'll get to see him when he comes to Omaha. The UFL won't last past this next season unless something changes though. They had complaints that they weren't paying players last season and they owe Cuban a lot from a loan that they fell behind on. Then they started trying to charge NFL teams if they wanted players. That is the biggest mistake they could make. Now a lot of players won't go to the UFL if they have hopes of signing with NFL teams still. They needed to let themselves turn into a developemental league for the NFL in order to succeed. Charging NFL teams to take players has ruined that.

boltaneer
03-23-2011, 03:46 PM
He'll still choke in the playoffs. ;)

You're still one of my favs, Marty but it's true...

Rohirrim
03-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Football's version of the Love Boat.

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2011, 03:55 PM
truthfully, i would have had no problem with Denver bringing in Marty to rebuilf this team. especially if it was done on some type of situation like with Dallas having their future HC locked up and getting more experience.

few coaches are better than Schottenheimer at building a team. granted he gets too conservative and falls apart in the playoffs, but considering Denver hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 5 seasons, i would be all for having some badass regular seasons with playoff appearances.

KipCorrington25
03-23-2011, 06:43 PM
5 teams, so you have a bye week every third week? Lame.

Bronco Boy
03-23-2011, 08:17 PM
He'll still choke in the playoffs. ;)

You're still one of my favs, Marty but it's true...

Ya, you're much better off with Norv Hilarious!

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2011, 08:23 PM

what team wouldn't rather go 8-8 and sneak into the playoffs instead of 14-2 and get a 1st round bye

tsiguy96
03-23-2011, 08:24 PM

norvs seasons in SD, from the beginning:
2 playoff wins, 1 playoff win, playoffs with no wins, no playoffs.

where does that make 2011?

BroncoMan4ever
03-23-2011, 08:44 PM
norvs seasons in SD, from the beginning:
2 playoff wins, 1 playoff win, playoffs with no wins, no playoffs.

where does that make 2011?

top 10 pick?

broncocalijohn
03-24-2011, 12:23 AM
5 teams, so you have a bye week every third week? Lame.

No, they expect one team to fold during the season. They plan smart for their upcoming failures! Personally, I hope the league makes it and there are so many sports with minor league system and football really doesnt have one. Put it in towns without NFL teams and have passion for football. The one in SF was a horrible place to put it. Which they would stroll out to OC/LA area for a team.

HAT
03-24-2011, 12:47 AM
No, they expect one team to fold during the season. They plan smart for their upcoming failures! Personally, I hope the league makes it and there are so many sports with minor league system and football really doesnt have one. Put it in towns without NFL teams and have passion for football. The one in SF was a horrible place to put it. Which they would stroll out to OC/LA area for a team.

Yeah Baby.....Carson Crushers!

I'd go to at least a few games at HDC.

^5

Blueflame
03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
truthfully, i would have had no problem with Denver bringing in Marty to rebuilf this team. especially if it was done on some type of situation like with Dallas having their future HC locked up and getting more experience.

few coaches are better than Schottenheimer at building a team. granted he gets too conservative and falls apart in the playoffs, but considering Denver hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 5 seasons, i would be all for having some badass regular seasons with playoff appearances.

Marty's teams weren't as bad in the playoffs as it might seem... #7 just "had Marty's number" especially in the 2 consecutive AFCC games.

BroncoMan4ever
03-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Marty's teams weren't as bad in the playoffs as it might seem... #7 just "had Marty's number" especially in the 2 consecutive AFCC games.

true, and i had the thought in the back of my head before we hired Fox in regards to Schottenheimer being brought in as our HC and working with the man who ended both of his best chances at a ring.

"if you can't beat him, join him."

would have been an interesting scenario, and also a bit poetic in nature.

Blueflame
03-24-2011, 02:46 AM
true, and i had the thought in the back of my head before we hired Fox in regards to Schottenheimer being brought in as our HC and working with the man who ended both of his best chances at a ring.

"if you can't beat him, join him."

would have been an interesting scenario, and also a bit poetic in nature.

There are (many) far worse HC's in the league than Marty... I mean, really. Fired after a 14-2 season? To hire Norv? Too funny.