PDA

View Full Version : A thought-on unions

rugbythug
03-19-2011, 06:29 PM
So the NFLPA has disbanded. Workers are not in a Union. NFL is having a lock out to control its labor costs.

Could the NFL begin to negotiate with a competitive union? If say the CFL or the Arena League started its own union.

This would allow the NFL to keep its Antitrust protection and still control labor costs.

That One Guy
03-19-2011, 06:52 PM
So the NFLPA has disbanded. Workers are not in a Union. NFL is having a lock out to control its labor costs.

Could the NFL begin to negotiate with a competitive union? If say the CFL or the Arena League started its own union.

This would allow the NFL to keep its Antitrust protection and still control labor costs.

I wondered about that the other day. What if they slyly grabbed someone and told them to start up a union, grab a couple friends (who may or may not be on an actual team), and start the scrub ball. As far as I know, the NFLPA was mandatory for players before the disbanding. The new union could move in and the NFL could apply the same strategy to them. The owners might not make much money but it'd be a roundabout way of locking out the players and since the owners are claiming to have enough money set aside to cover if the entire year is cancelled, they'd definitely be able to outlast the players.

gyldenlove
03-19-2011, 06:58 PM

The members of the union would have to be NFL players, the holdup seems to be that you are either going to get replacement players which will hurt the league financially in a huge way but you get around the antitrust stuff, or you try to get something done with the current players

That One Guy
03-19-2011, 07:24 PM
The members of the union would have to be NFL players, the holdup seems to be that you are either going to get replacement players which will hurt the league financially in a huge way but you get around the antitrust stuff, or you try to get something done with the current players

But the current scenario is pretty much a given that losing the anti-trust suit is a given. ANY winning of that would dwarf the losses of this season. The players wouldn't make it an entire season before 80% of them would cave.

lostknight
03-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Given how badly the Union bumped up their rhetoric today, I've lost any belief that there will be a season next year.

Missouribronc
03-19-2011, 08:41 PM
I just think its funny and extremely ironic that a union's best tactic was to not be a union.

Drek
03-20-2011, 02:34 AM
I don't think going to replacements would be much of a financial negative for the owners. As of now they've got $4 billion dollars locked up for their TV deal because it was viewed as bargaining in poor faith by one judge. Go to replacements where TV networks are airing real games and that money has to be released.

They get their TV money for the season and would pay the replacement players a fraction of what the current players get. They'd make out like bandits for a few years under the current TV deal and the only real negatives they'd see is if ratings are down leading up to the renegotiation of the TV deals.

DHallblows
03-20-2011, 03:46 AM
All I can say is I loved The Replacements!

Rack. Over. Cover 4.

That One Guy
03-20-2011, 05:51 AM
I don't think going to replacements would be much of a financial negative for the owners. As of now they've got $4 billion dollars locked up for their TV deal because it was viewed as bargaining in poor faith by one judge. Go to replacements where TV networks are airing real games and that money has to be released.

They get their TV money for the season and would pay the replacement players a fraction of what the current players get. They'd make out like bandits for a few years under the current TV deal and the only real negatives they'd see is if ratings are down leading up to the renegotiation of the TV deals.

Excellent point. TV folks would hate scrub ball but the owners would clean up.

Garcia Bronco
03-20-2011, 10:16 AM
i would still like some one to tell hkw the NFL is a monopoly on pro football. It isn't.

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-20-2011, 11:16 AM
... As far as I know, the NFLPA was mandatory for players before the disbanding. ....

Am I the only person who remembers Madden games of years gone by, and how the Redskins had an AWESOME linebacker whose actual name in the game was "LB #56"?? I remember looking it up, and read that Arrington wasn't a member of the Players Association.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's mandatory to be a member of the NFLPA.

Can anyone correct me here?

I just think its funny and extremely ironic that a union's best tactic was to not be a union.
Anyone else noticed the awkward corrections by players (Schlereth) on NFL Network?
Schlereth: "... the union ha... {pause} ... sorry, I mean the players ASSOCIATION have already ..."

Drek
03-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Excellent point. TV folks would hate scrub ball but the owners would clean up.

TV people won't give a **** if the ratings keep pace.

Fans in the NFL (unlike NBA and to some degree MLB) cheer for the laundry, so as long as they've got early season parity and good storylines to follow they won't give a **** either.

The NFLPA/player's trade association doesn't have a lot to stand on having now decertified. They believe a judge will reward them for taking negotiations to the courts when in reality it gives the owners a perfect pathway to cut them off at the knees.

footstepsfrom#27
03-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Screw scrub ball. I wouldn't waste time watching that. If there's not going to be a season next year, the only topic worth discussing is whether we get the #2 pick again in 2012 or not, and if we do, who will be available that we'd want at such an early projection date as this. Might as well start another draft controversy since there's no more game apparently.

rugbythug
03-20-2011, 11:53 AM
Screw scrub ball. I wouldn't waste time watching that. If there's not going to be a season next year, the only topic worth discussing is whether we get the #2 pick again in 2012 or not, and if we do, who will be available that we'd want at such an early projection date as this. Might as well start another draft controversy since there's no more game apparently.

In reality it would not be scrub ball. Players would join the cfl union.

FireFly
03-20-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm sure the owners have a better strategy than just going to court and losing. They will do something, this or something else - they're a wily old bunch!

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm sure the owners have a better strategy than just going to court and losing. They will do something, this or something else - they're a wily old bunch!
Agreed. You don't become a billionaire without planning ahead! ;)
I've seen the NFLPA rep Demorris Smith on TV a few times, and in my opinion (as a person who worked at a major media outlet for 12+ years) the guy has NO IDEA what he's doing in relation to "handling" reporters and the media in general. I'm sure his plans and ideas are good, he's just lost when it comes time to convey them to the media, and therefore public.

kappys
03-21-2011, 02:51 AM
i would still like some one to tell hkw the NFL is a monopoly on pro football. It isn't.

The NFL isn't a single business entitiy - it is comprised of 32 teams which are individual business entities that conspire together. Probably would be better to describe it as a cartel akin to OPEC

TDmvp
03-21-2011, 03:00 AM
The NFL isn't a single business entitiy - it is comprised of 32 teams which are individual business entities that conspire together. Probably would be better to describe it as a cartel akin to OPEC

:spit:

TDmvp
03-21-2011, 03:03 AM
All I can say is I loved The Replacements!

Rack. Over. Cover 4.

Replacements Rep !!!

The football's like a one-man cold to Clifford Franklin. Clifford Franklin's the only man catchin' it, Clifford Franklin's the only man comin' down wid it.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TEXF78SREnM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>