PDA

View Full Version : Elway at Blaine Gabbert's Pro Day

DomCasual
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
First Locker, and now this. This is mass hysteria. Dogs and cats are living together, at this point.

Blaine Gabbert works out for scouts

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6228384

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Five head coaches and a Hall of Fame passer turned front-office executive joined scouts from every NFL team to watch former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert as he worked out with a chance to be the No. 1 selection in April's draft.

The crowd at Missouri's pro day Thursday included Denver Broncos vice president John Elway and coach John Fox, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and Ron Rivera of the Carolina Panthers, who have the draft's top choice.

Gabbert is a likely first-round pick and hopes to be the first quarterback chosen in the April 28 draft ahead of Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton, Washington's Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett of Arkansas.

bronclvr
03-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Elway is scaring me now-

oubronco
Looking at all the top prospects, I like it

lostknight
head-desk, head-desk, head-desk.

jhns
03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
This has to be one of the worst QB classes I can remember. The top prospects didn't even look very good in college. I really hope we don't take one.

Traveler
03-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Performing his due diligence. Nothing more IMO.

bronclvr
03-17-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm becoming worried that Elway is suffering from a case of "I'm the Boss" and "hold my Beer-watch this!"-

Smiling Assassin27
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Performing his due diligence. Nothing more IMO.

Yup. over half of the pre-draft work is in setting up the perfect smokescreen.

BroncoLifer
03-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Trying to make Cincy (and others) think that Denver might draft the man they want?

NFLBRONCO
03-17-2011, 12:45 PM
I like that we looking at all the top prospects. Plus it adds to trade up talks :)

Tombstone RJ
03-17-2011, 12:53 PM
First Locker, and now this. This is mass hysteria. Dogs and cats are living together, at this point.

Blaine Gabbert works out for scouts

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6228384

COLUMBIA, Mo. -- Five head coaches and a Hall of Fame passer turned front-office executive joined scouts from every NFL team to watch former Missouri quarterback Blaine Gabbert as he worked out with a chance to be the No. 1 selection in April's draft.

The crowd at Missouri's pro day Thursday included Denver Broncos vice president John Elway and coach John Fox, New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis and Ron Rivera of the Carolina Panthers, who have the draft's top choice.

Gabbert is a likely first-round pick and hopes to be the first quarterback chosen in the April 28 draft ahead of Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton, Washington's Jake Locker and Ryan Mallett of Arkansas.

What I see is Elway learning how to scout. I honestly don't think he has any interest in drafting a QB this year, but he may very well be interested in drafting one next year, and the experience he is getting now will help him in the future.

Neither the Jets nor the ratbirds need a QB, yet they are scouting Gabbart too... why?

DomCasual
03-17-2011, 12:58 PM
For argument's sake, with three teams right behind you possibly wanting a QB, giving an indication that you might be in the market, as well, would go a long way towards creating a feeding frenzy for your pick.

I hope that's all it is. Love for Tebow aside, none of these guys are very exciting with our (hopefully) once-in-a-generation high pick.

BroncoDoug
03-17-2011, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I agree, just doing his due diligence... nothing wrong with it

TheReverend
03-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh please. So were Harbaugh (Ravens not 9ers) and Ryan. They're not ditching their QBs. There are OTHER players at MO's pro day other than Gabbert fellas.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-17-2011, 01:07 PM
Rex Ryan and John Harbaugh were there. Does that mean they were after a QB?

There's an elite DE at Missouri.

TheReverend
03-17-2011, 01:07 PM
What I see is Elway learning how to scout. I honestly don't think he has any interest in drafting a QB this year, but he may very well be interested in drafting one next year, and the experience he is getting now will help him in the future.

Neither the Jets nor the ratbirds need a QB, yet they are scouting Gabbart too... why?

Defensive end Aldon Smith, center Tim Barnes (we need a center BAD)

Jesterhole
03-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Taking either Newton or Gabbert with our #2 would lead to an instant meltdown of epic proportions. QB and WR are relative strengths for us right now.

Still, I like Elway looking at all options, and going through the motions. He is new to this, so going to these pro days, doing evaluations and comparing notes will only make him a stronger GM.

WolfpackGuy
03-17-2011, 01:23 PM
For argument's sake, with three teams right behind you possibly wanting a QB, giving an indication that you might be in the market, as well, would go a long way towards creating a feeding frenzy for your pick.

Exactly.

Nothing wrong with making someone picking below you a little nervous.

Pretty much how the Cards raped the Chuggers back in 1998 in the Leaf trade.

dbfan21
03-17-2011, 01:26 PM

+1
My thoughts exactly.

OBF1
03-17-2011, 01:28 PM
For argument's sake, with three teams right behind you possibly wanting a QB, giving an indication that you might be in the market, as well, would go a long way towards creating a feeding frenzy for your pick.I hope that's all it is. Love for Tebow aside, none of these guys are very exciting with our (hopefully) once-in-a-generation high pick.

Someone else gets it. :thumbsup:

ND Bronco Fan
03-17-2011, 01:29 PM

Thats exactly what I think too.

bronco militia
03-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Defensive end Aldon Smith, center Tim Barnes (we need a center BAD)

I agree...the OL went from bad to worse in 2010

tsiguy96
03-17-2011, 01:31 PM
is aldon smith a 3-4 or 4-3 guy, or possibly either

TheReverend
03-17-2011, 01:37 PM
is aldon smith a 3-4 or 4-3 guy, or possibly either

3-4

He'll be undersized in a 4-3 but could still be effective on passing downs with his speed.

bowtown
03-17-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/10/21/giant-cock_9GtXu_2263.jpg

tsiguy96
03-17-2011, 01:53 PM
3-4

He'll be undersized in a 4-3 but could still be effective on passing downs with his speed.

aka not a first rounder for a 4-3

cutthemdown
03-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Don't discount the possibility that Elway see's Tebow as a waste of time. It is possible because some other football people feel that way.

tsiguy96
03-17-2011, 02:57 PM
Don't discount the possibility that Elway see's Tebow as a waste of time. It is possible because some other football people feel that way.

that simply isnt true.

footstepsfrom#27
03-17-2011, 02:59 PM
It makes sense to feign interest in the QB class at this position. If someone wants to jump ahead of the Bills into our spot, it's not a bad idea if they think we might take a QB ourselves. That's the only reason I can imagine Denver having interest in these guys. If we really are dumb enough to take another QB, we're in far worse shape than I think.

DarkHorse
03-17-2011, 03:02 PM
Nothing wrong with this at all.

If I had the #2 pick in the draft and all the buzz was circulating about this "first QB taken in the draft, guy that comes out of nowhere" yeah, i'd find the time to check him out too.

TheReverend
03-17-2011, 03:18 PM
aka not a first rounder for a 4-3

Right. But a good pass rusher prospect for Ravens or Jets.

That center is what I think Elway really wanted to see, and it'd be nice to grab him and get Walton on the pine.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-17-2011, 03:29 PM

The voice of reason has arrived!

yerner
03-17-2011, 04:04 PM
Good. Might be good to see how Tebow measures up.

Play2win
03-17-2011, 05:32 PM
I'm becoming worried that Elway is suffering from a case of "I'm the Boss" and "hold my Beer-watch this!"-

Hilarious!

Speaking of Beer, I think I might go have some. Couldn't think of a better day to do it!

Cmac821
03-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Hilarious!

Speaking of Beer, I think I might go have some. Couldn't think of a better day to do it!

Came across as a little desperate

FireFly
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think we'll draft a QB with any of our picks.

Not even the later ones! We might bring in some undrafted rookies, but I don't think we'll be wasting picks on them.

Nor do I think that other teams wanting a QB are going to be fooled into a trade by this.

FireFly
03-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Good. Might be good to see how Tebow measures up.

Compared to the rookie QBs coming out this year?... he measures up very very well.

Compared to the ones coming out next year... well, maybe its not quite so clear cut

Lestat
03-17-2011, 06:24 PM
this is perfect. you have 4-5 teams below you that need a QB. you haven't glowingly endorsed either Orton nor Tebow. you drive up interest in the #2 pick, let a QB needy team leap over Buffalo and grab some extra picks for then 2nd and 3rd.
no way the Broncos go with a QB in this draft before round 3 or 4, assuming they take one.

this is the perfect storm for the Broncos. scouts(well ESPN analysts) keep slurping all over Gabbert,Newton,Locker & Mallet. the bigger the assumed talent, the more the need & the more value that pretty like #2 pick has for whomever might miss out on Newton or Gabbert if they don't trade up.

it's starting to feel like they have an idea of who they want to take and want to trade down so that the range and price is in line with the assumed value.
you can't really justify Von Miller,Patrick Peterson or Bowers(at present knee issue value) as the #2 overall pick and pay them 40-60 mil for their first contract.

Hulamau
03-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Elway is scaring me now-

Relax, Rex Ryan was there so was John Harbaugh .. do you seriously think either one of those is gonna spring for Gabbert and drop Sanchez and Flacco???

Amongst some of these coaches including likely Elway/Foxy, Ryan and Harbaugh is a combination of smoke screens and due diligence going on here and nothing more.

.... Just now read some earlier posts and see others also came to the same obvious conclusion....

Ray Finkle
03-17-2011, 07:12 PM
Right. But a good pass rusher prospect for Ravens or Jets.

That center is what I think Elway really wanted to see, and it'd be nice to grab him and get Walton on the pine.

besides Pouncey and maybe 3 other rookie centers in the last 20 years, they all take a season or two to mature. You want to gamble that any center drafted will be better than Walton in year two? If you are going to replace him, replace him with a veteran with talent.