PDA

View Full Version : WWI Vet

ant1999e
03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
RIP:USA:

Sandoval orders flags at half staff to honor last surviving World War I vet

By Cy Ryan (contact)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 | 11:08 a.m.

CARSON CITY – Gov. Brian Sandoval has ordered flags at state buildings to fly at half staff today to honor Frank W. Buckle, the last surviving U.S. veteran of World War I.

Buckle, an Army corporal, died Feb. 27 at the age of 110 and is being buried today at Arlington National Cemetery within sight of his commander, Gen. John Pershing.

Sandoval said, “Corporal Buckles and the entire generation of American veterans of World War I deserve to be remembered. We can never thank them enough for their service.”

The flags will be at half staff until sunset today.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/mar/15/sandoval-orders-flags-half-staff-honor-last-surviv/

bendog
03-15-2011, 03:39 PM
God I HATE France.

Chris
03-15-2011, 03:44 PM
I really don't think there is enough of an awareness of just how horrifying WW1 was and the scale of the thing. Many of the memories are blanketed by "The Good War" twenty years later.

RIP to all the good men of that war on both sides.

bendog
03-15-2011, 04:01 PM
My kid is having to read all quiet on the western front for history. Interesting choice. I'm not really sure whether there was an American account of the actual horror of young mid-western farm kids going into that war. They came from a social era of really 19th century american were put in a meatgrinder. I recall one of my grandfather's brothers who had shell shock that he never really got over. Just a kind quiet man. Passed away in the early 1970s.

houghtam
03-15-2011, 04:10 PM
I really don't think there is enough of an awareness of just how horrifying WW1 was and the scale of the thing. Many of the memories are blanketed by "The Good War" twenty years later.

RIP to all the good men of that war on both sides.

There really needs to be a big-budget WWI movie made, much in the same vein as Saving Private Ryan. I think that movie did a lot in the way of raising awareness to the average idiot on just how horrible war is.

Difficult to say "War X was more horrible than War Y", but combine the fact that WWI took place before film was widespread with the notion that, like you said, WWII was "the good war", and you've got a lot of ignorance and naivete on just what actually took place in that period.

bendog
03-15-2011, 04:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Last-Man-Novel-First-World/dp/0345461347

This could be a good movie, imo. Not much characterization, but the characters are largely historical realities. Sort of like his father's book that was turned into Gettysburg, which is an amazing movie.

Chris
03-15-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm doing a continuing ed course on the Civil War right now (lunch breaks... bless them) but the professor recommended this recent book to me

http://www.amazon.com/First-World-War-John-Keegan/dp/0375700455/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300231949&sr=8-1

STBumpkin
03-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Paul Fussel's "Great War and Modern Memory" is a great commentary on the horrors of WWI. I also like both Jeff and Michael Sharra.

loborugger
03-15-2011, 07:00 PM
Rest in Peace, doughboy.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Archer81
03-15-2011, 07:12 PM
There really needs to be a big-budget WWI movie made, much in the same vein as Saving Private Ryan. I think that movie did a lot in the way of raising awareness to the average idiot on just how horrible war is.

Difficult to say "War X was more horrible than War Y", but combine the fact that WWI took place before film was widespread with the notion that, like you said, WWII was "the good war", and you've got a lot of ignorance and naivete on just what actually took place in that period.

I agree. I dont think its wise to completely seperate the two world wars into two seperate events. You could honestly say from 1914 to 1945 the world was engaged in political, economic and social conflict. You would honestly have to go back to the 30 or 100 years war to find an event that shaped the world like the two world wars of the 20th century did.

WWI vets are equally as deserving for going into the unknown and winning the first phase of that period.

:Broncos:

titan
03-15-2011, 07:19 PM

Steven Spielberg has a world war I movie coming out in December this year: War Horse

http://www.thescreeningroom.ca/2011/03/first-images-from-steven-spielbergs-world-war-i-drama-war-horse.html

houghtam
03-15-2011, 07:29 PM
Steven Spielberg has a world war I movie coming out in December this year: War Horse

http://www.thescreeningroom.ca/2011/03/first-images-from-steven-spielbergs-world-war-i-drama-war-horse.html

Yeah, I knew about that one, but it's set to be a kid's film.

STBumpkin
03-15-2011, 07:53 PM
Gallipoli wasn't horrible as a WWI movie