PDA

View Full Version : Espn Fab Five ... anyone watching ?

TDmvp
03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Thoughts ?

schaaf
03-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm watching it, the thing that still surprises me is that the majority of them went on to have very successful pro careers.

Missouribronc
03-13-2011, 07:50 PM
The NCAA sucks.

TDmvp
03-13-2011, 07:50 PM
That part about the full story of "the time out" was crazy.

AmericanBroncFan
03-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Just like back then. A lot of HYPE about a team that never won a damn thing. They remind me of the chuggers. All hype with NOTHING to back it up

Boobs McGee
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Pretty good stuff...amazing the amount of hatred the alumni from Michigan had against those guys. Pretty sad :( the timeout part wad intense, couldn't even IMAGINE how you'd feel after an eff up that big

Jason in LA
03-13-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm watching it now. Like it was just said, a lot of hype for a team that never won.

I don't feel bad for them or Weber. Seeing that three of them became multimillionaires and at least Weber was getting paid while in college. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for them.

Actually, I think people make too much of a big deal out of the Fab 5. They never won anything.

HBO is showing Runnin' Rebels of UNLV tonight. That was an amazing team back in 1990. I think I'll watch that.

Uncle Bill
03-13-2011, 08:55 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I don't much care for ESPN, mostly b/c they over-sensationalize everything on sports center. They usually nail their documentary stuff, though (the 30 for 30 series was great), and this was no different...

Regardless of whether or not they "won anything", the definitely made their mark...

Cmac821
03-13-2011, 09:26 PM
I found it interesting, wish Webber would had commented.

Garcia Bronco
03-13-2011, 09:32 PM
That part about the full story of "the time out" was crazy.

It was said at the time that if you got the UNC marked credit card that year, it had a picture Chris Webber calling time out. :)

Jason in LA
03-13-2011, 09:36 PM
One point that was made, which annoys me, was the point of paying college athletes. Michigan, Nike, and others, made a lot of money off of the Fab 5, and they complained about being broke college students.

I'm am 100% against paying college students. Rose, Weber, and Howard were put on a stage, at no charge to them, and given free personal training that helped them become multimillionaires.

Back then skipping college wasn't the norm. The road to the NBA was by playing college basketball. And it was free for those players. Everything was free. Without the NCAA, those players wouldn't have become multimillionaires. So I don't think that the players are being taken advantage of. If they feel that they are being taken advantage of, then don't go play college sports. Sit out a year and then go to the NBA, or if you're a football player, sit out three years and then go to the NFL (good luck with that one).

DarkHorse30
03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
watched 5 minutes and it was a waste of my time. Championship? No.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-13-2011, 10:22 PM
i think people are missing the point if they think the fab 5 would only be relevant if they won.

houghtam
03-13-2011, 11:26 PM
One point that was made, which annoys me, was the point of paying college athletes. Michigan, Nike, and others, made a lot of money off of the Fab 5, and they complained about being broke college students.

I'm am 100% against paying college students. Rose, Weber, and Howard were put on a stage, at no charge to them, and given free personal training that helped them become multimillionaires.

Back then skipping college wasn't the norm. The road to the NBA was by playing college basketball. And it was free for those players. Everything was free. Without the NCAA, those players wouldn't have become multimillionaires. So I don't think that the players are being taken advantage of. If they feel that they are being taken advantage of, then don't go play college sports. Sit out a year and then go to the NBA, or if you're a football player, sit out three years and then go to the NFL (good luck with that one).

Your point is valid for about 10% of the cast. How would you feel as Ivan Douglas, Bryce Bishop or Brandon Joe blocking for Maurice Clarett? Neither went on to the NFL, but think of how much cash that National Championship team brought in to the school.

Jason in LA
03-13-2011, 11:28 PM
i think people are missing the point if they think the fab 5 would only be relevant if they won.

It is interesting that the Fab 5 became more than a basketball team, they were a part of pop culture.

I guess I, and others, don't put much value on that. It's about winning titles.

Thinking back to that era, late 80s and early 90s, the Niners and Cowboys were winning titles. The Showtime Lakers and Bird's Celtics had just given way to Jordan's Bulls, and the Piston's Bad Boys were in there. Miami was hot in college football. The Oakland A's had the Bash Brothers and Ricky Henderson.

There was so much greatness in sports, it's hard to champion the Fab 5. Okay, they made wearing black socks and longer shorts popular.

I'm watching the HBO special on UNLV. That 1990 team was pretty much the same as the Fab 5. Same culture, same image. But UNLV won the title, in blowout fashion. The Fab 5 didn't.

Jason in LA
03-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Your point is valid for about 10% of the cast. How would you feel as Ivan Douglas, Bryce Bishop or Brandon Joe blocking for Maurice Clarett? Neither went on to the NFL, but think of how much cash that National Championship team brought in to the school.

They received a free education and lived off of the university for free while they were there. I'd say that's payment enough.

broncofan4life
03-13-2011, 11:33 PM

i think its very relevant no they didn't win but they changed the culture of basketball fashion long shorts, black socks and black shoes. Very well done by ESPN

SoCalBronco
03-13-2011, 11:33 PM

It's Ohio State. There's a rebuttable presumption that there were impermissible benefits provided even to those players. Tressel has always been a snake in nice clothing, even at Youngstown State.

Oh...and they didn't bring the National Championship* to the school. Terry Porter did.

OrangeSe7en
03-13-2011, 11:53 PM
They received a free education and lived off of the university for free while they were there. I'd say that's payment enough.

Sorry but Spike Lee was right in calling the NCAA (and or the schools of the NCAA) a bunch of pimps. In the University of Michigans eyes, Jalen Rose was at their school to make revenue for the school playing basketball. That was his central purpose for being there in their eyes. If Jalen Rose couldnt play basketball, its questionable that most of these guys would have been there. And Michigan is going to have classes whether Jalen Rose is on the basketball team or not. Its not as though Michigan is doing something by letting him in a class that they werent doing anyway. So pretending they're giving him something by letting him attend class doesnt work.

But while I think the athletes should be paid, Im not very sympathetic to Chris Webber.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 12:20 AM
Sorry but Spike Lee was right in calling the NCAA (and or the schools of the NCAA) a bunch of pimps. In the University of Michigans eyes, Jalen Rose was at their school to make revenue for the school playing basketball. That was his central purpose for being there in their eyes. If Jalen Rose couldnt play basketball, its questionable that most of these guys would have been there. And Michigan is going to have classes whether Jalen Rose is on the basketball team or not. Its not as though Michigan is doing something by letting him in a class that they werent doing anyway. So pretending they're giving him something by letting him attend class doesnt work.

But while I think the athletes should be paid, Im not very sympathetic to Chris Webber.

Michigan, and the NCAA, put Jalen Rose on a stage that led him to having a multimillion dollar career. If he didn't make it, then he would have had an opportunity to get a degree for free, which would have allowed him to get a good job after college (if a player doesn't take advantage of that then it's on him).

Lets see Jalen pay for the training he got, his room and board, the travel expenses, the TV time. He got all that for free. He had a sweet deal.

Paying athletes just won't work. If you pay one, then you have to pay them all. That means paying the water polo player, and you know Title IX means paying all the female athletes, and paying them all equal. The back up catcher on the softball team makes as much as the starting QB.

That's so not going to work.

Shananahan
03-14-2011, 12:50 AM
Its not as though Michigan is doing something by letting him in a class that they werent doing anyway. So pretending they're giving him something by letting him attend class doesnt work.
This is pretty ridiculous. Did you go to college for free?

vancejohnson82
03-14-2011, 01:05 AM
ok...i realize I'm opening Pandora's Box here....

but did anyone have the feeling that Jalen Rose came off as a racist prick?

Shananahan
03-14-2011, 01:17 AM
I think racist is the wrong word, especially considering most of the comments you could take out of context from him were about other and specific types of black people. I got the sense that he was mainly just trying to convey the opinions and attitude he had at the time, and I thought his honesty was great for the show. He said some negative things about some people like Grant Hill, but he also tried to explain why he felt those things and made a point of saying that it wasn't personal.

OrangeSe7en
03-14-2011, 01:23 AM
This is pretty ridiculous. Did you go to college for free?

Thats not really even relevant if I didn't play a sport that generated massive revenue.

OrangeSe7en
03-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Michigan, and the NCAA, put Jalen Rose on a stage that led him to having a multimillion dollar career. If he didn't make it, then he would have had an opportunity to get a degree for free, which would have allowed him to get a good job after college (if a player doesn't take advantage of that then it's on him).

Lets see Jalen pay for the training he got, his room and board, the travel expenses, the TV time. He got all that for free. He had a sweet deal.

Paying athletes just won't work. If you pay one, then you have to pay them all. That means paying the water polo player, and you know Title IX means paying all the female athletes, and paying them all equal. The back up catcher on the softball team makes as much as the starting QB.

That's so not going to work.

It wouldnt have been for free. He was allowed to sit in classes that Michigan would have had anyway while he was participating in a sport that generated massive revenue for the school. Generating revenue was the condition of being able to be in Michigan's classrooms.

And the whole notion of how much the education is worth is a little silly. Again, they would have held the class anyway and also Michigan charges whatever they want. What that really points to is how overpriced college is.

No, it doesnt mean paying the backup catcher. Once you start paying players, its questionable whether the NCAA and by extension, Title IX would even apply.

That One Guy
03-14-2011, 01:32 AM
It wouldnt have been for free. He was allowed to sit in classes that Michigan would have had anyway while he was participating in a sport that generated massive revenue for the school. Generating revenue was the condition of being able to be in Michigan's classrooms.

And the whole notion of how much the education is worth is a little silly. Again, they would have held the class anyway and also Michigan charges whatever they want. What that really points to is how overpriced college is.

No, it doesnt mean paying the backup catcher. Once you start paying players, its questionable whether the NCAA and by extension, Title IX would even apply.

I am totally not getting the point of your post.

If I don't attend college, they're going to hold those classes. Are you saying I shouldn't have to pay?

houghtam
03-14-2011, 01:34 AM
It's Ohio State. There's a rebuttable presumption that there were impermissible benefits provided even to those players. Tressel has always been a snake in nice clothing, even at Youngstown State.

Oh...and they didn't bring the National Championship* to the school. Terry Porter did.

Okay, replace those names with any other no-names at any other university who did the dirty work for any other player(s) who made it to the big time.

Somehow, JLA, if you were the one doing the dirty work for a premier player, I have a feeling a free education wouldn't be enough for you.

Take NCAA Football for EA sports, for example. What legal right should the company have to pay a big time school for the rights to use their logo, etc, and then create LB #54, 6'1" 230 lbs, caucasian with brown hair, and get away with not paying royalties to the player who they are obviously making a profit off of?

Shananahan
03-14-2011, 01:34 AM
This is faulty logic, though. If you want to complain about how overpriced college is, that's a fair but separate argument. Saying that someone being allowed to attend classes isn't receiving anything because the classes would have been taught without them is idiotic. That person is being given something they would otherwise have had to pay for.

OrangeSe7en
03-14-2011, 01:39 AM
This is faulty logic, though. If you want to complain about how overpriced college is, that's a fair but separate argument. Saying that someone being allowed to attend classes isn't receiving anything because the classes would have been taught without them is idiotic. That person is being given something they would otherwise have had to pay for.

Except its not a seperate argument since Michigan is claiming the value if what Rose was getting was what they were charging. It seems like its valuable because they overcharge. The two things are directly related. They're tied to each other.

Also, whats idiotic is this insistance that Rose was being "given" something.

That One Guy
03-14-2011, 01:39 AM
Oh, and I watched a good portion of it before I had to leave out for the airport. I thought it was quite interesting and a turning point in history and, in some respects then, was quite disappointed. As they implied/stated, they basically brought a street ball/"thug" appearance along with the trash talking which has overtaken the game. Then, they did it by way of the University of Michigan. They continued to use phrases like "there we is" and claim to have a degree from such a well-respected school. I wasn't around back then (at least not on the sports scene) so don't know the details but if they were the ones that left us with the uneducated-thug prominence in sports... I'm disappointed. The racism they endured was unacceptable though.

Surely they weren't the only ones but there were numerous references to the things like earrings, tattoos, and trash talking which weren't commonplace before them. If I could see anything in the NCAA before my death, it'd be the focus on being a student first in a student-athlete scenario. These guys all too often come away sounding completely uneducated and ignorant despite attending some of the best schools in the country. This group seemed like a basketball team that was essentially sponsored by the school. They weren't students that just played basketball after class.

Ratboy
03-14-2011, 02:02 AM
Racism!

Shananahan
03-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Also, whats idiotic is this insistance that Rose was being "given" something.
Fall back on semantics or define it however you want, but in return for his participation on the basketball team Rose and the rest received/were given/earned/etc a free tuition.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 08:51 AM
I think racist is the wrong word, especially considering most of the comments you could take out of context from him were about other and specific types of black people. I got the sense that he was mainly just trying to convey the opinions and attitude he had at the time, and I thought his honesty was great for the show. He said some negative things about some people like Grant Hill, but he also tried to explain why he felt those things and made a point of saying that it wasn't personal.

I also felt that he was talking about how he felt at the time. I'm sure that now that he's grown up, that his point of view has changed to some degree. I'd say that some of my points of view are similar to what they were when I was 19, but a lot of my views have changed over the years. Rose did come off as a prick, but I'm sure a lot of us were pricks at 19.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 09:04 AM

Players who do not make it as a pro, but go and get their degree, I'm sure they appreciate that free education. Players who do not go pro and never finish college are always going to complain and feel like they got used. Sucks for those players. They had a great opportunity and didn't take advantage of it. Sorry, I don't feel bad for those guys.

As for paying players, of course the NCAA would have their hands in it, and the women's rights groups would have the colleges in court as soon as the women didn't receive equal payment.

There is also the factor of the pay scale, and which colleges can pay players. Does the back up running back make as much as the starter? How about running backs who split time? Does the QB make more money then anybody? And what about programs that do not make a profit, or much of one? How are they going to compete? There is already an imbalance in college football and basketball. That imbalance would become even greater.

If players feel like they are getting pimped, then don't go play college sports.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Okay, replace those names with any other no-names at any other university who did the dirty work for any other player(s) who made it to the big time.

Somehow, JLA, if you were the one doing the dirty work for a premier player, I have a feeling a free education wouldn't be enough for you.

Take NCAA Football for EA sports, for example. What legal right should the company have to pay a big time school for the rights to use their logo, etc, and then create LB #54, 6'1" 230 lbs, caucasian with brown hair, and get away with not paying royalties to the player who they are obviously making a profit off of?

I still don't agree with the point. Players who do the dirty work have the same opportunity to go pro as the stars of the team. And there are a lot of players who did the dirty work and made it to the pros while the players who were the stars did not make it.

All of these players have a shot at a pro career, and a free education. If they don't make it to the pros, that free education, if they took advantage of it, will come in handy for the rest of their lives. That has a lot of value. If those players don't see it, that's on them. I don't feel bad for them if they don't get that degree and now they're stuck without a good job.

Boobs McGee
03-14-2011, 09:27 AM
I agree with you to a point Jason, but the thing that gets me is the AMOUNT of money those colleges banked. How much does a 4 year degree end up costing you at michigan...$100,000? The revenue from basketball jumped up 1000 percent after that first championship run of theirs, to over 10 MILLION. I think the main point that the members of the fab five were trying to make, was that they were just normal poor college kids, who needed money for a date here or some food there. They weren't looking for a payday, just something to help them along. When you're making your university that much extra money in a program, I don't see anything wrong with expecting to be taken care of a little more than your average student. I think, there are a small enough amount of student athletes that actually make up this "star" profile, that it wouldn't be a problem.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Oh, and I watched a good portion of it before I had to leave out for the airport. I thought it was quite interesting and a turning point in history and, in some respects then, was quite disappointed. As they implied/stated, they basically brought a street ball/"thug" appearance along with the trash talking which has overtaken the game. Then, they did it by way of the University of Michigan. They continued to use phrases like "there we is" and claim to have a degree from such a well-respected school. I wasn't around back then (at least not on the sports scene) so don't know the details but if they were the ones that left us with the uneducated-thug prominence in sports... I'm disappointed. The racism they endured was unacceptable though.

Surely they weren't the only ones but there were numerous references to the things like earrings, tattoos, and trash talking which weren't commonplace before them. If I could see anything in the NCAA before my death, it'd be the focus on being a student first in a student-athlete scenario. These guys all too often come away sounding completely uneducated and ignorant despite attending some of the best schools in the country. This group seemed like a basketball team that was essentially sponsored by the school. They weren't students that just played basketball after class.

I've always felt that the Fab 5 got too much credit for pretty much everything that they did. Really thinking about it, I was never blown away by them, and I was a black teenager at that time. The biggest thing I remember about that team was that Webber called that timeout.

UNLV was pretty much the same team as the Fab 5. They were a bunch of young black guys who were part of the hip hop era. They had to deal with racism too. The difference though, UNLV kicked everybody's ass and won the national title. I was blown away by UNLV, but I was never all that impressed by the Fab 5. They were more of a novelty story than a great team.

DrFate
03-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Fall back on semantics or define it however you want, but in return for his participation on the basketball team Rose and the rest received/were given/earned/etc a free tuition.

And room/board...A full ride is worth north of six figures.

I just hate the entire Spike Lee argument. The hotshot physics student brings in $$$ for the college - should we pay her too? The virtuoso on the cello - should he get a monthly check? Colleges make money (I worked at one for 10 years) and normally the students are the 'labor'.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I agree with you to a point Jason, but the thing that gets me is the AMOUNT of money those colleges banked. How much does a 4 year degree end up costing you at michigan...$100,000? The revenue from basketball jumped up 1000 percent after that first championship run of theirs, to over 10 MILLION. I think the main point that the members of the fab five were trying to make, was that they were just normal poor college kids, who needed money for a date here or some food there. They weren't looking for a payday, just something to help them along. When you're making your university that much extra money in a program, I don't see anything wrong with expecting to be taken care of a little more than your average student. I think, there are a small enough amount of student athletes that actually make up this "star" profile, that it wouldn't be a problem.

Yes, the colleges make a boat load of money, especially off of the star players. But the star players are put on a stage to showcase their skills, for free, that helps them get drafted and make millions of dollars. They also get training and use of state of the art facilities for free. Seeing that I have a son who plays high school football and works with coaches outside of the program, I know how expensive that is.

Without these universities, most of these super star kids wouldn't get to the professional level. That statement is very true in football, not so much anymore in basketball. But at the time of the Fab 5, basketball players needed the NCAA because it was rare for a player to skip college.

The argument about the players being a broke college student, I just don't buy it. Aren't all college students broke? Well, unless they came from a rich family, but most college students are struggling to get by, especially students who have to pay their way through college. I was a college student, and I was an athlete. I was broke, and I wasn't on scholarship. Jalan Rose said that he was driving a green Dodge Shadow. Well, I was driving a maroon Dodge Shadow.

These athletes don't have any bills, they don't pay rent, they get free meals, and all of their basic needs are met, while being prepped for a multimillion dollar careers. It's hard for me to say that they don't have it made. I wish I had it made like that.

Boobs McGee
03-14-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes, the colleges make a boat load of money, especially off of the star players. But the star players are put on a stage to showcase their skills, for free, that helps them get drafted and make millions of dollars. They also get training and use of state of the art facilities for free. Seeing that I have a son who plays high school football and works with coaches outside of the program, I know how expensive that is.

Without these universities, most of these super star kids wouldn't get to the professional level. That statement is very true in football, not so much anymore in basketball. But at the time of the Fab 5, basketball players needed the NCAA because it was rare for a player to skip college.

The argument about the players being a broke college student, I just don't buy it. Aren't all college students broke? Well, unless they came from a rich family, but most college students are struggling to get by, especially students who have to pay their way through college. I was a college student, and I was an athlete. I was broke, and I wasn't on scholarship. Jalan Rose said that he was driving a green Dodge Shadow. Well, I was driving a maroon Dodge Shadow.

These athletes don't have any bills, they don't pay rent, they get free meals, and all of their basic needs are met, while being prepped for a multimillion dollar careers. It's hard for me to say that they don't have it made. I wish I had it made like that.

Hard to argue with that. I didn't really take into account that EVERYTHING was paid for (meals, cell phone bills, clothing, etc), because I've never known anyone with a full ride. I was under the assumption that it covered tuition, housing, and some of your meals. And I was also speaking under the experience of having known college athletes (full time college athletes) that hardly had enough time in the day to complete their homework and get some sleep, LET ALONE try to find a job to pay for the necessities.

If what you say is true, and they had EVERYTHING paid for, then I would agree with you. My point was coming more from the side of, A) some of these kids came from families that obviously couldn't afford to send any extra money their way, and B) college athletics is a full time career.

schaaf
03-14-2011, 10:08 AM
I think college athletes should be paid... I think it should be about $250/Month.

At my college and being on the football team, I don't have enough time to get another job.. Football is seriously my job here. Yes they do get free college but they need some a little money here and there.

Boobs McGee
03-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I think college athletes should be paid... I think it should be about $250/Month.

At my college and being on the football team, I don't have enough time to get another job.. Football is seriously my job here. Yes they do get free college but they need some a little money here and there.

Question for you...what's your schedule typically like, and what do the star athletes (the ones with full rides) have taken care of? This is in regards to my previous post, because I realized higher profile colleges might have a better "packages" in terms of colleges than somewhere like where you are currently going (no disrespect to Montana).

schaaf
03-14-2011, 10:35 AM
For Instance my best friend has a full ride for Basketball.. He has his Tuition and Room and Board paid for

He takes 15-20 credits per semester for 5 years.

2 hours of lifting/ day
2-3 hours of basketball practice / day
1-2 hours of Mandatory Study Table for Basketball / day
3-5 hours of classes per day (depending on day of week)
and Homework

The only thing that I can tell is different between what we have and what some of our friends that are on the basketball team at Louisville and University of Washington is that you are expected to spend more time in the gym and weightroom.

But they also have the same credits and they have the study table.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Well, not every single thing is paid for, but all of the basic needs are paid for. Cell phone, social life, and even clothes (the fresh gear), those are luxuries. And a lot of college students do not have those luxuries.

The schools take care of the basic needs while covering the costs of school. These players are getting a free place to live, free food, free training, and they are complaining that they don't have money to go see a movie?

The athletes who the schools are making big money off of, they are in line to make millions of dollars, based on what the school is giving them, so I don't feel like they are being used. Look at Reggie Bush, if he had went to, lets say Utah, he wouldn't have been on the prime time stage that USC put him on, and I bet he wouldn't have been the second pick in the draft. He would be in the NFL, but as the second pick I think he signed for $50 million. He couldn't have waited one year to cash in on that? Lets say he skipped college football all together, and sat out three years after high school, he wouldn't be in the NFL at all.

I saw Reggie Bush in the parking lot of Staples Center as I was leaving the All Star game. He was getting into a Ferrari. Sorry, but I don't feel bad for that guy. He made out like a bandit.

Jason in LA
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
For Instance my best friend has a full ride for Basketball.. He has his Tuition and Room and Board paid for

2 hours of lifting/ day
and Homework

The only thing that I can tell is different between what we have and what some of our friends that are on the basketball team at Louisville and University of Washington is that you are expected to spend more time in the gym and weightroom.

The typical day for an athlete is like a full time job. That schedule is about right.

But think about it this way, A player gives, lets say four hours a day to his sport, or 20 hours a week, that's like a part time job. For doing that, depending on the school, he could be getting $20,000 to well over $50,000 worth of value. What part time job gives a student that?

Missouribronc
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM

2 hours of lifting/ day
and Homework

I've always thought there should be some cash given to players. Nothing extreme, or anything, but some sort of stipend, your $250 is a good number. Make it a "work-study" program just like most other students who work on campus.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2011, 11:43 AM
If any of these "student athletes" are moaning that they can't get a side job like other students to pay for those incidentals because their sport is taking up all their time during the school year, then they just need to do what everyone else in the world does during college: work during the summer. You can make more than enough in one summer to take care of any and all optional expenses during the school year....even if it's a minimum wage gig.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
I've always thought there should be some cash given to players. Nothing extreme, or anything, but some sort of stipend, your $250 is a good number. Make it a "work-study" program just like most other students who work on campus.

As if the alumni aren't already doing that for these kids under the table....90% are simply smart enough not to get caught.

Missouribronc
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM
As if the alumni aren't already doing that for these kids under the table....90% are simply smart enough not to get caught.

The question is, if you made it legal, would less illegal things go on behind the scenes. Maybe I'm too optimistic about it...

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
The question is, if you made it legal, would less illegal things go on behind the scenes. Maybe I'm too optimistic about it...

Pretty tough for crime rates to go UP if you de-criminalize the criminal acts.

Buster Bluth
03-14-2011, 01:13 PM

Also true, to a point. However, most college students have the opportunity to get a part time job and at least have some money to go out on dates, go out with friends, see a movie, etc. I worked three out of my four years in college. College athletes are not allowed to have jobs, because it would be really easy for a booster to take advantage of that and pay a kid a ton for work that was done or not done.

And while these athletes are given the platform to showcase their skills, there is a lot that comes with that. It's hard to travel with a high-level team in college, still make grades, and go out and perform on the court. I quit my college tennis team because my grades were slipping and I wasn't there for a chance to go pro.

I feel like if you're a traveling athlete on one of these teams, a small wage or "allowance" should be part of the tuition the school gives you, especially on a high-profile team like Michigan Basketball.

Just my opinion.

Buster Bluth
03-14-2011, 01:16 PM
If any of these "student athletes" are moaning that they can't get a side job like other students to pay for those incidentals because their sport is taking up all their time during the school year, then they just need to do what everyone else in the world does during college: work during the summer. You can make more than enough in one summer to take care of any and all optional expenses during the school year....even if it's a minimum wage gig.

It's a good idea, but most summers are spent with coaches or teammates (or both) at camps, more training, tutoring, and everything else. And on top of that, i'm not sure working as a student athlete is allowed, even in the summer. I could be wrong on that, though.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2011, 01:27 PM
And on top of that, i'm not sure working as a student athlete is allowed, even in the summer. I could be wrong on that, though.

Yes, they most certainly can get jobs. There are some limits on the amt of money they can make during the school year and what jobs they can get within the athletic dept, but that's it. Easy enough to google any combo of "nccaa scholarship job rules" to find info about this.

bombay
03-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Went back to Chicago for Christmas in 1990. I wanted to see Juwan Howard play for CVS, so went down to the Proviso East Holliday Tournament. Proviso's team, which included Michael Finley, Donnie Boyce, and eventual Portland 1st rounder Sherrill Ford, blew their doors off. Hard to believe Juwan is still in the league.

spdirty
03-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Just saw it. I enjoyed the HBO series on the Runnin Rebels a lot more. That was a fun ****in team to watch.

The Shark was so likable.

24champ
03-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Just saw it. I enjoyed the HBO series on the Runnin Rebels a lot more. That was a fun ****in team to watch.

UNLV admins sabotaged its own program, thanks to Maxson. Tark has said that he was going to get commits from Jason Kidd, both O'bannon brothers, Jalen Rose actually verballed to UNLV, and Chris Webber. They definitely could have destroyed Duke a few more times.

OrangeSe7en
03-14-2011, 03:15 PM

I agree. UNLV wasnt freshmen but I think they were a lot better than the fab five. I think the Fab Five kind of created their own hype. They were good but I don't think they were as good as their own hype. When Duke beat UNLV in 91, it was a huge upset. I don't think it was much of an upset when UNC beat Michigan.

spdirty
03-14-2011, 08:18 PM
I just kind of wish that the NCAA would just have turned a blind eye to the UNLV infractions and just let them be. Man I enjoyed them.

Also get sick and tired of the racial bull**** in both documentaries. A ton of white people loved watching both UNLV and Michigan. But for me, I was only 10 years old and at the time I always thought that UNLV was the good guys and Duke was the heels of bball.

spdirty
03-14-2011, 09:06 PM
UNLV admins sabotaged its own program, thanks to Maxson. Tark has said that he was going to get commits from Jason Kidd, both O'bannon brothers, Jalen Rose actually verballed to UNLV, and Chris Webber. They definitely could have destroyed Duke a few more times.

That wasnt in the doc. but I believe it. UNLV was so hot back then that I imagine Tark nearly had his pick of recruits to choose from. Pretty sad that that University had the world by the ass and they managed to just crap all over it.

I suppose they're getting back to being good again under Kruger but it will never be like it was.

Mountain Bronco
03-15-2011, 03:02 PM
If he didn't make it, then he would have had an opportunity to get a degree for free, which would have allowed him to get a good job after college (if a player doesn't take advantage of that then it's on him).

Can we please get rid of the notion that a degree allows anyone to get a good job after college. That is but one part of a much larger puzzle. A degree does not equal a good job.

I have friends with degrees from quality schools who have no/crapy jobs, friends with no degrees which have good jobs, and friends with Masters with no/crappy jobs.

A degree and a buck will get you a cheeseburger at McD's, and that is about it these days.

That One Guy
03-15-2011, 06:31 PM
If you can't get a job with a good degree then there's a reason. It's not a free ticket to the good life but only a retard would think it meant you could coast through because you got a good degree. Come on.

Butterscotch Stallion
03-16-2011, 06:12 PM
I was already a fan of Grant Hill, but now even more... http://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/16/grant-hills-response-to-jalen-rose/