PDA

View Full Version : LOCKOUT - My response, what's yours?

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-12-2011, 09:02 AM
So now we're locked out, ... :moody:

As a fan of football, "I DO NOT GIVE A FLYING F^$& WHO IS TO BLAME".
As a person, I have my opinion on who's to blame, but that's neither here nor there.
All I know is that between all the millionaires, the billionaires, the stupid, the greedy, and the ignorant people involved ... they aren't be mature enough to figure out how to divide up a $9billion dollar profit.

My response is pretty simple: If it has an NFL logo on it, I'm NOT buying it. Clothes, books, DVDs, etc, ... I'm FINISHED with buying any more NFL stuff, which will essentially give more money to these idiots who are holding my favorite sport to ransom.
I'll still watch games on TV, still go to the nearby bar to watch the NFL ticket, will still visit TGN and Mrs TGN for a game occasionally, and will still wear the Denver stuff I currently own, but I will NOT give any more money to these clowns!

I can't live without football, but I CAN live without giving any extra money to the NFL and the NFLPA. Screw them!

What about you?;)

tsiguy96
03-12-2011, 09:12 AM
same boat as you. if it involves me giving money directly to the NFL, consider it done.

misturanderson
03-12-2011, 09:23 AM
You could always buy the really well-made counterfeit jerseys from China on ebay. The NFL doesn't see any of that money.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Meh

Tombstone RJ
03-12-2011, 09:54 AM
the season will not be cancelled, the owners and players will continue with the parameters of the current CBA while the new CBA is hammered out in the courts via the real winners: lawyers.

It's the same thing that happened between 1987 and 1993, that's the way I understand it.

crush17
03-12-2011, 10:23 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-NFL/169587896425382

I started that page... maybe it will get some attention if a lot of people join. I don't know, maybe its stupid too. Regardless, I fee the same way. The NFL will never get another dime from me as far as I can help it.

uplink
03-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Each team drafts 53 college players this year and the game goes on. I wish they would put more of the girls lingerie football on tv, that would be a good substitude this fall.

SoCalBronco
03-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I don't blame either party and I won't stop buying NFL products if they are products I like. We don't have an inherent right to watch football. Each side should be concerned foremost with their own economic interests. The owners had a right to opt out of the CBA and they believe, for whatever reason, that they have sufficient leverage to force a better system for them. The players believe, for whatever reason, that decertifying and pursuing litigation, will lead to a better benefit package for them. Both are acting rationally. It does make me sad that because of the lockout, I might not be able to attend camp which I was looking forward to, but I'm not going to blame the parties for doing what they believe is in their best economic interest. That's perfectly rational. We're not entitled to anything.

brncs_fan
03-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't blame either party and I won't stop buying NFL products if they are products I like. We don't have an inherent right to watch football. Each side should be concerned foremost with their own economic interests. The owners had a right to opt out of the CBA and they believe, for whatever reason, that they have sufficient leverage to force a better system for them. The players believe, for whatever reason, that decertifying and pursuing litigation, will lead to a better benefit package for them. Both are acting rationally. It does make me sad that because of the lockout, I might not be able to attend camp which I was looking forward to, but I'm not going to blame the parties for doing what they believe is in their best economic interest. That's perfectly rational. We're not entitled to anything.

The thing that the players and the owners are not taking into consideration though is that they are a brand. The very people that buy into their brand are the very same people that are going to be the most upset by all of this (i.e. the OP). While I think that while both sides have the right to do what they did and very legitimate reasons as to why they did it, I think that ultimately their bottom lines will be affect more by a lockout than either side is willing to concede.

Me personally, I don't care about either side and wont really have any kind of emotional reaction until I go to turn on the TV the first week of football and it's infomercials instead.

Chris
03-12-2011, 11:43 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n1TIj8Ix7VA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

long beach bronco
03-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Everyone is to blame here, owners, players and even rookies who even haven't played a down yet. What makes me sick is when a player gets drafted and when traing camp starts then they want to hold out for more money, give me a friggin break, not once have they ever played in 1 friggin game but yet they want to hold out because of so called not enough money, well then pack your @#$% up and go get a real friggin job and see how that goes for you, in the real world you get offered a job you take it, people all over are just trying to live from week 2 week, bottom line is this is all a bunch of bull crap, its us the fans who make you all your money (owners and players), and it seems like none of them gives a crap about the fans but yet prices are so high to even go to a game but fans still go cause they love there team to show support, so I wish you all would show some support for your fans and get your heads out of your butts and get this deal done.

Taco John
03-12-2011, 12:35 PM
I believe in free enterprise and individuals or collective groups looking out for their own best interests. I will still be buying a Tebow jersey when I get the free dough, and one for my son too. And I'm looking forwards to getting to a game as soon as possible, and economy (and wife) allowing, even to the HOF this year.

The lockout just means that it might take longer to get to see another football game. I won't be happy if there isn't football on Sundays, but I'll be there to watch it when it finally comes back.

gunns
03-12-2011, 01:13 PM

I agree with the opening post and I do agree with this, to a point. The part you have left out is without us fans they have nothing. They've known this was coming for how long and done nothing about it until now. It is playing out just as predicted, so to me that says this was planned to an extent and during this whole thing the one moneymaker, the biggest money maker, was shoved aside with no thought or respect.

We tune it to TV and go to stadiums to watch the product, we have helped build their state of the art stadiums, we have bought their concessions at the stadiums, including their products, WE have made their products stars. Fine, if this whole thing (a mess) is about their economic interest, they've made a horrible mistake in ****ting on their biggest economic interest, and I agree with the OP, I'm not buying their **** anymore either, actually I have enough. Maybe if more would do it, the next time they'd have this wrapped up and solved before playing lock out games and decertifying has to happen.

Taco John
03-12-2011, 01:18 PM
I have to say that if I was the owners, I wouldn't open my books either. Quite frankly, I think the owners have been as forthcoming as anyone could expect.

Meck77
03-12-2011, 01:20 PM
I think it's too early to react one way or another. I think the game has gotten way over priced in general though.

Play2win
03-12-2011, 01:23 PM
You want to see my books?

Them's Fighting Words!!!

Killericon
03-12-2011, 01:26 PM
I think fans should pick a week, maybe the 2nd or 3rd week of the next NFL season, and just not show up, all together. That would be amazing.

It'll never happen, but it'd be great.

tsiguy96
03-12-2011, 01:27 PM

we are absolutely entitled to this sport, because without fans and their wallets there is no football. there is not 9 billion ridiculous dollars for them to split among 2-4000 some odd people. to act like these two groups dont have a responsibility to work this out to provide this to the fans is silly. them arguing about such an absurd amount of money is a complete slap in the face to the multitude of fans who make 15-40k dollars a year.

OBF1
03-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Sorry players, but if you need to look at the "company books" or do not like making millions a year, go find another line of work and see what the normal hard working American goes through every day of their lifes. What bunch of ungrateful biotches.

loborugger
03-12-2011, 01:35 PM
I think fans should pick a week, maybe the 2nd or 3rd week of the next NFL season, and just not show up, all together. That would be amazing.

It'll never happen, but it'd be great.

I like this idea.

I also like TSIguy's idea of not buying any more NFL stuff. These people are nothing more than very well compensated entertainers who have a very high opinion of themselves. I cant change the world, but I can change where I spend my money.

tsiguy96
03-12-2011, 01:38 PM
Sorry players, but if you need to look at the "company books" or do not like making millions a year, go find another line of work and see what the normal hard working American goes through every day of their lifes. What bunch of ungrateful biotches.

ten thumbs up. they are being offered million on tops of millions of dollars per year to be distributed, an alleged 160 million dollar cap in 2014 with 90% as floor, and its not enough. and to compensate fora 15% increase in cap, you know the owners will raise prices of everything 30%. regardless, fans get screwed.

RhymesayersDU
03-12-2011, 01:59 PM
These threads are hilarious.

I'm not buying a $20 hat!!!

But I will still feed into billions of dollars that is TV revenue!!!

Wake up kiddies, TV is runs the NFL.

But have fun with your little "boycotts."

tsiguy96
03-12-2011, 02:02 PM

a good percent of the people here have directtv ticket, and i imagine atleast a few will cancel over this. a 20 dollar hat is still money the NFL is no longer going to see. most of us have said we will continue to watch the games, but not continue spending money directly out of pocket.

Blart
03-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Football is fun da players should play for free. The owners are businessmen and deserve all the money, that is how business works.

HooptyHoops
03-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Yep, I tweeter yesterday that I was ticked at the NFLPA! Just drives me nuts! Wouldn't it be great to sue the companies we work for, then tell them to open their books, aswevseserve more? Seriously stupid!

cutthemdown
03-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I'll just be patient and wait for some football which will eventually happen. I never spent a lot of money on gear anyways. Have a hat, a football barrel man signed, and that's about it.

I do pay for NFL redzone but make more money off them gambling and winning fantasy then NFL does off me. I made about 400-500 bucks last yr, and closer to 1000 yr before that. I actually made money on Superbowl taking GB and not having to give any points. That's how it easy it is. Avoid betting with the smart fans, find the stupid ones.

Jens1893
03-12-2011, 03:00 PM
My response is pretty simple: If it has an NFL logo on it, I'm NOT buying it. Clothes, books, DVDs, etc, ... I'm FINISHED with buying any more NFL stuff, which will essentially give more money to these idiots who are holding my favorite sport to ransom.

The game of football is bigger than the NFL. The game of football isnīt the NFL.

Broncos_OTM
03-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Ill probably boycott them. If they take one year ill stay away two. If I come back at all much like I did the NHL. Still can't get into it like I once did

Pick Six
03-12-2011, 03:30 PM

Cosigned.

Look, some of you are taking this as a personal affront. You act like the NFL and/or the players care about you and have EVER cared about you. We are merely spectators to a business. The business is run by people who have more money than most of us will ever see in our lives, but it's still a business. We are emotionally attached to "our" team. The Denver Broncos, as well as the other teams, will survive just fine if I, or a handful of fans, suddenly decide not to watch the NFL. They won't get their feelings hurt, if the Orangemane decides to boycott the NFL. We, as the little guys, are witnessing the NFL monster attempting to devour the different parts of that body. It's not a big deal. I enjoy watching people demolish each other, even though I know that means a possible early end to someone's career...or even their life. It's my "gladiator" entertainment. I take advantage of players hitting each other, and marvel. In return, the NFL provides that entertainment (for a fee), and pretends to care about us. It's a fair tradeoff. I'll still be watching the NFL, when it comes back...

houghtam
03-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Cosigned.

Look, some of you are taking this as a personal affront. You act like the NFL and/or the players care about you and have EVER cared about you. We are merely spectators to a business. The business is run by people who have more money than most of us will ever see in our lives, but it's still a business. We are emotionally attached to "our" team. The Denver Broncos, as well as the other teams, will survive just fine if I, or a handful of fans, suddenly decide not to watch the NFL. They won't get their feelings hurt, if the Orangemane decides to boycott the NFL. We, as the little guys, are witnessing the NFL monster attempting to devour the different parts of that body. It's not a big deal. I enjoy watching people demolish each other, even though I know that means a possible early end to someone's career...or even their life. It's my "gladiator" entertainment. I take advantage of players hitting each other, and marvel. In return, the NFL provides that entertainment (for a fee), and pretends to care about us. It's a fair tradeoff. I'll still be watching the NFL, when it comes back...

If the NFL is a business, who are its customers? Ultimately, we are. If I, as a manager of a multi-million dollar business, and my employees have a disagreement which interferes with my business' ability to sell a product, my customers have every right to go elsewhere for entertainment.

I have watched and loved the Denver Broncos for as long as I can remember, as have most of you. I'm not trying to rally anyone to my cause, or making any rash decisions. I am simply saying that from my perspective, I don't care enough about the NFL or its players to be more loyal to them than they are to me. If there is no season this year, I am done with the NFL. I can watch my favorite team on Saturdays on the Big Ten Network more easily and cheaper than I can watch the Broncos, anyway.

Let the "you're not a true fan" name-calling commence.

footstepsfrom#27
03-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Football fans are lemmings. They'll all be back reguardless of how pissed they are. It's just a simple fact of labor relations that stuff breaks down, and nobody is really "to blame", but I don't care that much. Yes, I'd hope they resolve it but I can/have lived without football, or at least the NFL before, and I'm really more interested in how this would effect the team if we have a shortened season with little TC time. That plus we should hear at some point an official declaration on what if any impact a lost season would have on the 2012 draft order. IF there is a lockout that dumps the season, that's possibly the only positive, that we'd maybe be back in that #2 draft spot again next year. But I think this will get resolved before the season starts anyway.

oubronco
03-12-2011, 04:16 PM
We still have college football

Go SOONERS!!!!!!

schaaf
03-12-2011, 04:20 PM
i'm pissed. so i took it out on the dog

Taco John
03-12-2011, 04:22 PM
I'm watching 1997 America's Game right now. You can bet that I'll be ready to watch Denver Broncos football whenever it comes back.

loborugger
03-12-2011, 04:41 PM
a good percent of the people here have directtv ticket, and i imagine atleast a few will cancel over this. a 20 dollar hat is still money the NFL is no longer going to see. most of us have said we will continue to watch the games, but not continue spending money directly out of pocket.

There is that.

Additionally, I find this sours football for me. I am less inclined to spend a Sun parked in front of the boob tube taking it in, which as the original poster pointed out is a huge funding stream for the NFL.

I have said it before - this is a site dedicated to fans of the Broncos. So, I expect most folks to hang on and wait it out, being die hards. And that is fine. Everyone has their passions. I just hope the rest of America flips the NFL and its product the proverbial bird.

yerner
03-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm a little bummed but it's March. The overreaction to missing an offseason is pretty amusing.

houghtam
03-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Football fans are lemmings. They'll all be back reguardless of how pissed they are.

Speak for yourself. I'm a man of my word.

broncolife
03-12-2011, 06:36 PM
I think we should riot in the streets

gunns
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Football fans are lemmings. They'll all be back reguardless of how pissed they are. It's just a simple fact of labor relations that stuff breaks down, and nobody is really "to blame", but I don't care that much. Yes, I'd hope they resolve it but I can/have lived without football, or at least the NFL before, and I'm really more interested in how this would effect the team if we have a shortened season with little TC time. That plus we should hear at some point an official declaration on what if any impact a lost season would have on the 2012 draft order. IF there is a lockout that dumps the season, that's possibly the only positive, that we'd maybe be back in that #2 draft spot again next year. But I think this will get resolved before the season starts anyway.

It isn't that anyone is to blame. I have no problem with both sides fighting for their economic interest. My problem is that they knew this was coming for years and couldn't fight and resolve it before now? Instead the owners take out insurance and the players are told to save their money. Almost as if this was planned. How do two sides plan stupidity? It makes me question if this is solely about their economic interests or to show which sides is most important to football while forgetting the most important part, the fans.

footstepsfrom#27
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
Speak for yourself. I'm a man of my word.
So you'll do what...refuse to come back when they return? Not sure what any of this will accomplish since the fans aren't organized and any individual efforts are going to very diluted.

Requiem
03-12-2011, 07:06 PM
I think we should riot in the streets

And then do the lady in your avatar!

houghtam
03-12-2011, 08:00 PM
So you'll do what...refuse to come back when they return? Not sure what any of this will accomplish since the fans aren't organized and any individual efforts are going to very diluted.

What it will accomplish is self-satisfaction. I don't care if any other fan stops following the game; you all can do what you want. I, however, don't have the time or inclination to be a customer of a business that I feel doesn't have my interests in mind.

I'm not trying to prove a point. I'm not trying to "accomplish" anything other than my own self-interest. So should all of you. If coming back to the NFL, if they end up canceling games, is what makes you happy, go for it. I won't.

Missouribronc
03-12-2011, 08:10 PM
What it will accomplish is self-satisfaction. I don't care if any other fan stops following the game; you all can do what you want. I, however, don't have the time or inclination to be a customer of a business that I feel doesn't have my interests in mind.

I'm not trying to prove a point. I'm not trying to "accomplish" anything other than my own self-interest. So should all of you. If coming back to the NFL, if they end up canceling games, is what makes you happy, go for it. I won't.

I feel similarly to you, but the problem is, if you didn't care, why post on an internet message board (so ultimately, I care). It kind of belies your intention.

Of course you care. If you didn't, you wouldn't be posting.

houghtam
03-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I feel similarly to you, but the problem is, if you didn't care, why post on an internet message board (so ultimately, I care). It kind of belies your intention.

Of course you care. If you didn't, you wouldn't be posting.

I never said that I didn't care. I said I didn't care enough for the NFL to keep me as a customer if they're going to ruin the season. I'm in the same boat as GBDU in that I won't buy anything with an NFL shield on it after this, but if the season is affected, that's just not enough for me. I'm not giving them a dime more. Not watching games, commercials, etc.

That One Guy
03-12-2011, 08:42 PM

I feel like I should just quote the last time I bitched about you making this same point EVERY ****ING TIME this point is raised.

The OP said he can impact giving them any extra money, he even underlined the word MORE for people to relate with.

To rehash the last time you made spewed this same point you have on repeat, it's not us paying the money. We can always opt out of the products the sponsor pays to advertise. I'm not buying Kraft because they decide they're the official cheese of the NFL. I'll still buy whatever brand works for what I need. Why do I care that the NFL gets a handful of money for advertising? I'll take the free product and, as the OP said, make the stand on personal principles alone. If someone wants to do that and the OP was VERY clear that he wasn't on a one man mission to sink the NFL, why do you have to come spew the same talking point every time? Sometimes decisions are made for reasons of dignity, pride, PRINCIPLE, etc. How can that be a bad thing?

Drek
03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
My response:

http://www.promarsports.com/web_images/mlb_logo_1986.gif

All these b****es will get their **** square even before the Red Sox are hoisting another World Series trophy this fall, so I'm all good.

That One Guy
03-12-2011, 08:54 PM
My response:

http://www.promarsports.com/web_images/mlb_logo_1986.gif

All these b****es will get their **** square even before the Red Sox are hoisting another World Series trophy this fall, so I'm all good.

Wow... with the red, white, and blue colors looking all pretty and stuff... that picture of baseball is actually more pleasant to watch than actual baseball.

Definitely not an option for me. Not sure what I'll do with the extra time but I definitely want to take advantage of it and get off the couch, socialize more, do some more fishing, etc.

Requiem
03-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Watching my Seattle Mariners won't replace football. Baseball is not a good replacement option for me, never has been, never will.

I don't buy NFL merchandise anyways. I can't remember the last time I bought anything that had an NFL logo on it. Probably a pack of cards when I was 17 or something like that. Anything Broncos related I have, was bought for me by family and I intend to keep it that way.

What to do with a lockout and the possibility of no season?

Take up my other hobbies. :)

baja
03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
I grew up listening to base ball on the radio while tinkering with cars in my back yard under a shade tree. Good times.

baja
03-12-2011, 09:00 PM
PS> I was a huge Red Socks fan. ;D

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
I don't blame either party and I won't stop buying NFL products if they are products I like. We don't have an inherent right to watch football. Each side should be concerned foremost with their own economic interests. The owners had a right to opt out of the CBA and they believe, for whatever reason, that they have sufficient leverage to force a better system for them. The players believe, for whatever reason, that decertifying and pursuing litigation, will lead to a better benefit package for them. ...
All I'm doing is looking after MY economic interest, I'm not blaming anyone for doing the same!

The game of football is bigger than the NFL. The game of football isnīt the NFL.
Yeah I know that, I've just been getting lazy and "consuming" too much NFL, it's kinda like McDonald's ... quick, simple, but 32 teams makes it kinda bland. Looks like I'll have to get my teeth back into the much more complex College Football ... it's more satisfying, but with 115 teams, it just takes more effort to figure out who is REALLY worth watching!

We still have college football

Go SOONERS!!!!!!
GO BIG RED!

I feel like I should just quote the last time I b****ed about you making this same point EVERY ****ING TIME this point is raised.

The OP said he can impact giving them any extra money, he even underlined the word MORE for people to relate with.
Thanks for paying attention!:thumbsup: I never said I was going to change anything I enjoy doing, I'm just not going to waste anything extra on the NFL brand.

BroncoDoug
03-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Yawn, wake me up in September if we still don't have anything done....

TailgateNut
03-13-2011, 05:53 AM
Wow... with the red, white, and blue colors looking all pretty and stuff... that picture of baseball is actually more pleasant to watch than actual baseball.

Definitely not an option for me. Not sure what I'll do with the extra time but I definitely want to take advantage of it and get off the couch, socialize more, do some more fishing, etc.

THIS!......I'd rather watch my tomato plants grow! There may be other sports, but IMO they aren't worth watching on the tube. I have better things to do with my life.

chadta
03-13-2011, 06:32 AM
honestly, it just means more peaceful days at the MX track, not having to race home to catch the 4pm broncos game.

I went through this with hockey a few years ago, after the initial shock of hey they really did it wore off. I found i had alot more time to do things, i had a street bike then so i would go for weeknight rides not just on the weekend. I actually put on close to 60,000 km that spring/summer on my bike.

Boogerboots
03-13-2011, 07:03 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/boogerboots/TheNewCFL.jpg

3 Downs Baby! Look out NFL. We Ready.

chadta
03-13-2011, 07:37 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/boogerboots/TheNewCFL.jpg

3 Downs Baby! Look out NFL. We Ready.

I would love to see a game played under current CFL rules, with actual talent, instead of the coulda been, shoulda been, and never was's that we have playing it now.

Sometimes it gets really boring tho, 1st down, run 2nd down pass, 3rd down punt. But when the offense is moving, the 25 second play clock, with stopped time really helps keep games going until the final buzzer. Its not uncommon for each team to get another possession after what would be the 2 minute warning.

baja
03-13-2011, 08:28 AM
What's boring is one down of football and two minutes of commercials followed by a down of football only to return to a three minute commercial.

rinse & repeat

TheReverend
03-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Yeah I know that, I've just been getting lazy and "consuming" too much NFL, it's kinda like McDonald's ... quick, simple, but 32 teams makes it kinda bland. Looks like I'll have to get my teeth back into the much more complex College Football ... it's more satisfying, but with 115 teams, it just takes more effort to figure out who is REALLY worth watching!

I can simplify that process for you...

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/penn-state.gif

crazyhorse
03-13-2011, 09:38 AM
What's boring is one down of football and two minutes of commercials followed by a down of football only to return to a three minute commercial.

rinse & repeat

What I hate is, they come back from a commercial, punt, go to commercial. Thats a ****ing rip off right there.

You wont find any other programming that has 7 minutes of commercials, 30 seconds of programming followed by another 3 minutes of commercials.

Beantown Bronco
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
What I hate is, they come back from a commercial, punt, go to commercial. Thats a ****ing rip off right there.

You wont find any other programming that has 7 minutes of commercials, 30 seconds of programming followed by another 3 minutes of commercials.

Try watching the end of the average NBA game...

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I can simplify that process for you...

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/penn-state.gif
Yeah I know, if ONLY they could get a QB ...

Off topic, but of the things I have left on my football Bucket List: 1. Photo with Joe Pa, 2. Attend an Auburn at 'Bama game, 3. See a Tennessee Vols home game.
I could probably get them all done this year if I wanted, or in 2012 for the Bama game, ... but then I'm scared I might be ready to die! ;)

The Moops
03-13-2011, 12:26 PM
I still side with the players. The owners are the ones that opted out of the CBA. They wanted more money than the billions they already had. The owners are flat out greedier.

Play2win
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I still side with the players. The owners are the ones that opted out of the CBA. They wanted more money than the billions they already had. The owners are flat out greedier.

Hilarious! :rofl: :rofl:

Thats a good one. I'll remember that one...

Who were so greedy that they had the audacity to demand looking into someone else's books (let alone, their employer's books)? While they were still making millions??

Thats greed to the Nth degree. I hope the League just drafts a whole new slate of players out of one of the next few drafts. Then sets a fair value pay scale. Pays the player what they are worth. Not more, Not less.

oubronco
03-13-2011, 03:41 PM
will be going to 4-5 games this year

http://www.oscer.ou.edu/images/ou_logo_400x560.jpg

FireFly
03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm in the minority.

I think the players are the ones in the wrong and I feel this very strongly.

I know the owners are greedy and only care about money etc. but it is their business! The players work for them! The players should in my opinion just be grateful that they actually get paid to play football!

I also think that the owners winning is going to do a LOT more for the long term stability and equity of the league.

The players are still going to earn loads and loads of money. But things like a fairly more financially feasible salary cap and rookie scaling are good things.

If you listen to the league reps it sounds like they have the interests of the league at heart (even if that means themselves as well). The players don't care about the league, they just care about themselves.

League response:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eb6e46/article/league-locks-out-players-whose-union-decertified?module=HP_headlines

oubronco
03-13-2011, 04:01 PM
I must be in the minority as well

That One Guy
03-13-2011, 04:32 PM
I listened to an interview yesterday on Sirius with a guard from TENN who is the team's player rep. One of the only examples he used for concessions the players made was the rookie wage scale. When questioned about where the money would go, the owners GUARRANTEED that money would go, instead, to vet salaries. He tried to avoid that point though and danced around it.

That's what gets me so against the players. Since they got the great deal they got last time (when the economy was booming AND just about everyone concedes it was very favorable to the players) they're not willing to even consider less. It appeared towards the end of negotiations that the players were holding the 'open the books completely or we decertify' stance very hard and weren't even interested in negoatiating. For some reason, that irks me.

And a random question I don't know the answer to, can't the NFL teams all agree they run as partners in business and just use the other professional football leagues as the competition to their business? Players who don't like the NFL model can always go play in the new league they started, the arena league is back, or go play in the tundra to the north, right? Why does the NFL face anti-trust issues if there is other competition out there? Just don't quite understand it.

Beantown Bronco
03-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I listened to an interview yesterday on Sirius with a guard from TENN who is the team's player rep. One of the only examples he used for concessions the players made was the rookie wage scale. When questioned about where the money would go, the owners GUARRANTEED that money would go, instead, to vet salaries. He tried to avoid that point though and danced around it.

Pretty comical when the only concession you supposedly make is actually the polar opposite of a concession.

WolfpackGuy
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Bring on the scabs!

tsiguy96
03-13-2011, 04:39 PM
i wonder if players realize they dont have to make millions of dollars for playing a sport a few months out of the year. its no longer year round given they are whining about having to work out in march-august. they can get a job liek the rest of america if their contract si too unfavorable for them.

JDB7821
03-13-2011, 04:51 PM

This is an understatement, in my opinion. This could be potentially hazardous here in Atlanta. The Falcons have never had a strong following and even after 3 consecutive seasons of success, people show up for the games late or not at all. A lockout would kill all momentum they have built if any games are missed. It won't take much for fans in SEC country to stop watching on Sundays and get their fix on Saturdays.

That One Guy
03-13-2011, 04:54 PM
Pretty comical when the only concession you supposedly make is actually the polar opposite of a concession.

Yep... the player stance was talking points and being hard headed because the owners opted out of the CBA. They are absolutely convinced they can take the owners by the balls through the anti-trust suits and unless the owners were willing to cave, they probably had no intent of actually negotiating at the table.

And something I thought was telling, also, in the interview is how he talked about what they wanted to see in those books. First, he said owners were probably making more money than they were letting on and that's why they didn't want to open them. Then, later, he said he didn't believe the owners were LOSING money so their position was false. No matter what was in those books, the players could've said "eh, that's enough" and stood firm on their stance. The owners stance, as I understood it, was essentially that they weren't making enough of the pie considering their investment but he was acting like ANY profit for owners was sufficient. He also kept harping about the expenses the owners were probably taking that weren't real football expenses so they were keeping their books closed.

All in all, it was clear they're being fed talking points and spreading propaganda. They seemed to have no clear position as to what they were pursuing and what could've gotten the deal done. There was no specific number, there was no major point they had issue with, it just came down to the owners not being willing to show them their financial data to justify opting out of the last CBA. Players have $$$$ signs in their eyes looking towards being able to take the owners to the courts and not be to blame in the PR battle.

Play2win
03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm in the minority.

I think the players are the ones in the wrong and I feel this very strongly.

I know the owners are greedy and only care about money etc. but it is their business! The players work for them! The players should in my opinion just be grateful that they actually get paid to play football!

I also think that the owners winning is going to do a LOT more for the long term stability and equity of the league.

The players are still going to earn loads and loads of money. But things like a fairly more financially feasible salary cap and rookie scaling are good things.

If you listen to the league reps it sounds like they have the interests of the league at heart (even if that means themselves as well). The players don't care about the league, they just care about themselves.

League response:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81eb6e46/article/league-locks-out-players-whose-union-decertified?module=HP_headlines

I cannot say how strongly I completely agree with this. All of it.

bendog
03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Yep, I tweeter yesterday that I was ticked at the NFLPA! Just drives me nuts! Wouldn't it be great to sue the companies we work for, then tell them to open their books, aswevseserve more? Seriously stupid!

That car wreck must have been painful

TheReverend
03-14-2011, 08:16 AM
Yeah I know, if ONLY they could get a QB ...

Off topic, but of the things I have left on my football Bucket List: 1. Photo with Joe Pa, 2. Attend an Auburn at 'Bama game, 3. See a Tennessee Vols home game.
I could probably get them all done this year if I wanted, or in 2012 for the Bama game, ... but then I'm scared I might be ready to die! ;)

You might wanna get to working on #1 immediately unless you don't mind a photo of a memorial stone. Ugh, sad to think. Long live Paterno!

bendog
03-14-2011, 09:02 AM
Ben Rapesburger can continue his pursuit of coeds without that pesky personal conduct policy now. And Mike Vick can maybe get a dog.

DrFate
03-14-2011, 09:28 AM
My response:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the teams have the true value. This franchise went from Elway to Griese to Plummer to Cutler to Orton to Tebow - and the team made money. The stadium sold out, people bought beer and hats and paid for parking. They came to see the Denver Broncos.

The players get recycled every few years, and the teams continue to make a killing. The value is in the franchise - the players are simply cogs in the machine.

Sycophant politicians and their union cronies aside - if I own a mine and the miners don't want to work (for whatever reason) - I can go out and hire more guys to dig. The mine has the value, not the miners.

If the lawyers weren't involved and tomorrow Bowlen cut everyone on the active roster - he'd certainly have a line around the stadium of guys wanting those jobs. And I sincerely believe once the Broncos 2.0 take the field, they'd sell ticket, fans would buy beer and hot dogs, and Bowlen would be back in business. Maybe the new QB wouldn't be the titan of physical perfection that Kyle Orton is - but I feel confident in saying the team would continue to sell ticket, TV rights, etc. The business of the Broncos would continue to make money.

The success of college sports, minor league sports, even high school sports - proves that the alleged 'level of competition' argument doesn't hold a lot of water. There isn't a single player on this roster who was there when I started rooting for the Broncos in 86. Yet I still root.

The franchises have great value. The players are interchangeable parts. People following a franchise their entire life proves that.

Now, I'm all for good players making more than mediocre players, guys getting rewarded for good play, etc. If a player feels he isn't getting a fair shake, he has the ultimate freedom to go elsewhere. He can sell insurance, drive nails, or do what pays my bills - IT work. There is no god-given right to make piles of money in my preferred field. If no employer will pay me what I feel I deserve for my IT work, there isn't anybody I can sue. I take what I can get, or I try another field. Landscaping is very appealing to me, personally.

True, the players make a concession - you have less mobility in exchange for incredibly inflated salaries (and fame and glory and women and whatnot).
Maybe Robert Ayers can't quit tomorrow and go play for the Vikings simply because they will offer him a beter deal/more money/he likes Minnesota. Is that a fair trade-off? To me, it is. You give up on the mobility to make millions - there aren't many people who would turn that deal down. And if he isn't willing to make that deal? He is more than free to go do something else.

When you consider that each and every one of these players will be replaced in the next 10-15 years, it really shows where the value lies - player vs. franchise.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Ben Rapesburger can continue his pursuit of coeds without that pesky personal conduct policy now. And Mike Vick can maybe get a dog.

Interesting point about the personal conduct code. Will be interesting for sure to see how that is handled should anyone get in trouble during the lockout.

Mike Vick still won't be able to get a dog though. That part of his sentence was mandated by the courts, not the NFL.

oubronco
03-14-2011, 09:36 AM
My response:

The more I think about it, the more I realize that the teams have the true value. This franchise went from Elway to Griese to Plummer to Cutler to Orton to Tebow - and the team made money. The stadium sold out, people bought beer and hats and paid for parking. They came to see the Denver Broncos.

The players get recycled every few years, and the teams continue to make a killing. The value is in the franchise - the players are simply cogs in the machine.

Sycophant politicians and their union cronies aside - if I own a mine and the miners don't want to work (for whatever reason) - I can go out and hire more guys to dig. The mine has the value, not the miners.

If the lawyers weren't involved and tomorrow Bowlen cut everyone on the active roster - he'd certainly have a line around the stadium of guys wanting those jobs. And I sincerely believe once the Broncos 2.0 take the field, they'd sell ticket, fans would buy beer and hot dogs, and Bowlen would be back in business. Maybe the new QB wouldn't be the titan of physical perfection that Kyle Orton is - but I feel confident in saying the team would continue to sell ticket, TV rights, etc. The business of the Broncos would continue to make money.

The success of college sports, minor league sports, even high school sports - proves that the alleged 'level of competition' argument doesn't hold a lot of water. There isn't a single player on this roster who was there when I started rooting for the Broncos in 86. Yet I still root.

The franchises have great value. The players are interchangeable parts. People following a franchise their entire life proves that.

Now, I'm all for good players making more than mediocre players, guys getting rewarded for good play, etc. If a player feels he isn't getting a fair shake, he has the ultimate freedom to go elsewhere. He can sell insurance, drive nails, or do what pays my bills - IT work. There is no god-given right to make piles of money in my preferred field. If no employer will pay me what I feel I deserve for my IT work, there isn't anybody I can sue. I take what I can get, or I try another field. Landscaping is very appealing to me, personally.

True, the players make a concession - you have less mobility in exchange for incredibly inflated salaries (and fame and glory and women and whatnot).
Maybe Robert Ayers can't quit tomorrow and go play for the Vikings simply because they will offer him a beter deal/more money/he likes Minnesota. Is that a fair trade-off? To me, it is. You give up on the mobility to make millions - there aren't many people who would turn that deal down. And if he isn't willing to make that deal? He is more than free to go do something else.

When you consider that each and every one of these players will be replaced in the next 10-15 years, it really shows where the value lies - player vs. franchise.

The truth be told

bendog
03-14-2011, 09:37 AM
If the league replaced every player with a not as good player, and the current players formed their own league, do you honestly think people would pay what they do now to watch the broncos2? Seriously?

If bowlen gets hit by a canadian avalanche tomorrow, it won't effect me at all. But the day Floyd Little passes on will be a real sad one for me.

tsiguy96
03-14-2011, 09:45 AM
If the league replaced every player with a not as good player, and the current players formed their own league, do you honestly think people would pay what they do now to watch the broncos2? Seriously?

If bowlen gets hit by a canadian avalanche tomorrow, it won't effect me at all. But the day Floyd Little passes on will be a real sad one for me.

thats pathetic.

DrFate
03-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Unequivocally

How many fans do you know that have started rooting for the Packers because the 4-12 Broncos are 'not as good'?

DrFate
03-14-2011, 09:48 AM
But the day Floyd Little passes on will be a real sad one for me.

I'm not discounting any emotional connection with any specific player. I've had a lump in my throat when favored players moved away from their sport. But from a business perspective, it could have been Floyd Little or quality running back #12.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Looks like the fan movement is starting to be noticed already. Directv literally just called me to ask again why I cancelled the Sunday Ticket package after years of auto renewals.

They confirmed that they've gotten a significant number of cancellations since Friday's announcement, all citing the same reasons as me.

Nice.

bronco militia
03-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Looks like the fan movement is starting to be noticed already. Directv literally just called me to ask again why I cancelled the Sunday Ticket package after years of auto renewals.

They confirmed that they've gotten a significant number of cancellations since Friday's announcement, all citing the same reasons as me.

Nice.

I'm cancelling my season tickets.

it's been a fun 10 years Mr. Bowlen, but not the best.

bendog
03-14-2011, 10:30 AM
I think both sides are "wrong." But, I do think it's within the realm of possibility that if the current labor deal continued indefinitely, and if tv and gate revenues continued increasing at the rate they've increased since the labor deal was signed, then some smaller market teams like Buf could possibly lose money. But the owners woudl have to open their books to the players to actaully show this, and I don't think Snyder or Jones, ro even Bowlen, want the players to actually see how much money they're making. and they sure don't want the taxpayers who helped pay for the stadiums to see it.

I don't have anything against an owner, but I don't pay money to hear them say **** like "this one's for John."

HAT
03-14-2011, 11:35 AM
If the NFL is a business, who are its customers? Ultimately, we are. .

Ultimately, yes, but the NFL's primary customers are currently FOX, CBS, NBC & ESPN.

If my business makes water heaters, I only care selling them to Home Depot & Lowes & other supply houses (networks). It's their problem if they can't sell them to contractors (advertisers) who in turn sell them to homeowners (fans).

I could give a **** if a few random homeowners don't like my business practices & boycott my WH's. There are still millions of homes & apartments that will use my product to ensure that the supply houses keep buying from me.

Archer81
03-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Wealthy people arguing over money with wealthier people.

Bleh.

:Broncos:

oubronco
03-14-2011, 11:51 AM

Damn that would suck if they get it figured out next week and it's business as usual and you don't have your tickets

If they went on a kickass run in a year or two and you don't have your tickets how will you feel then?

Hulamau
03-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Some here are letting their emotions run away at the moment. No way a bunch of guys who care enough about their team to spend half a day on a message board are going to boycott the league and players once this is resolved!

If you are the type inclined to buy jerseys and caps (and nothing wrong with that at all), I can guarantee you'll be back at it before long once the smoke clears and its business as usual again. Especially when the Broncos are back challenging for the playoffs and SB every year ... hopefully very soon.

Im as pissed as anyone at this BS and I dont think the players are in the right here. Im usually a player first guy when they have legitimate complaints, and they do have a few here. But I think its clear the owners did try to offer a legitimate and decent offer on the table ... at least solid enough to warrant extending the CBA over and not rushing out the door and decertifying in 15 minutes as their lame answer!!

That is pure Bull crap and shows me Smith and their advisors were just dead set on pushing this into the courts for a longer range power move. It may backfire on them (and all of us) in the long run though.

The financial info the owners where providing, with truly independant auditing, was enough for any reasonable party to verify where the teams are likely at finacially .. at least as much as anyone reasonably needs to know to make sound decisions. This isn't just about the details here, its a power play.

The thing that pisses me off is the impact on the Broncos. It really sucks for teams like us with new coaches and having to start pretty much over this year. It would have clarified our draft strategy greatly had we been able to load up on FA before he draft!

Now. there will be an added measure of real uncertainty of who we can land on the Dline in FA and I suspect that makes going with the safe bet much more likelyof Dareus and not Peterson (who is probably the very best option for us long term). This, since we cant solidify our D line for sure in FA prior to the draft. A Must prerequisite before considering drafting Peterson in my view.

Plus, Fox and the rest of the staff have no chance to install their system and work with the new team for as long as this drags out which could be until August or later!

That REALLY hurts us much more than a team like Pittsburg or even KC! Where they have some reasonable stability in place in personnel, coaches and scheme to fall back on in a lock-out shortened offseason/season..

As such, if this goes unresolved much beyond draft day, and certainly if it goes through much of training camp, we can pretty much write 2011 off entirely as anything much more than a glorified longer-term training camp for 2012!

All the games will have a big asterisk beside them in any event, and for rebuilding teams like us starting with new coaches all around, the competitive disadvantage relative to a normal full year of activity for all teams only gets worse the longer this thing drags out.

In that case, we probably should start Tebow early on in any 2011 games that are played and see what we have in him by year's end. If the team flops and Tim shows he isnt ready for prime time, under the unfair burden of having to rebuild during a lock out off season, then we are at least likely in a good position to go for Luck in next years draft ... as well as continue rebuilding the rest of the team with hopefully another good year of FA and drafting.

That may be the way it plays out if these knuckle heads cant see the forest for their selfish egocentic trees and get this thing worked out to everyone's benefit ASAP and cut this "he said, she said" gamesmanship crap.

But don't think for a minute that die-hard fans are going to boycott their beloved NFL for long once the juice starts rolling again. Ain't gonna happen, however much we may share in your anger and disappointment now.

Beantown Bronco
03-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Some here are letting their emotions run away at the moment. No way a bunch of guys who care enough about their team to spend half a day on a message board are going to boycott the league and players once this is resolved!

Some perhaps, but not me. I have been planning this for months, so it's clearly not a spur of the moment emotional decision for me. I'd obviously bet you that you're wrong, but there'd be no way to prove it on my end.

If you are the type inclined to buy jerseys and caps (and nothing wrong with that at all), I can guarantee you'll be back at it before long once the smoke clears and its business as usual again. Especially when the Broncos are back challenging for the playoffs and SB every year hopefully very soon.

You'd lose that guarantee in my case. I did it with MLB, my favorite sport at the time, and I'll do it now with the NFL. Obviously, some will talk big now and then cave when the first game is played. I will not.

I spend a lot of money on entertainment. Be it sports, movies, games, whatever. I don't expect much in return. Entertain me and at least pretend to care about me and you'll usually get it. The NFL stopped pretending to care, so I'll spend my time and money elsewhere. Simple as that.

I'll still spend time here. That won't change much at least in the short term. The NFL doesn't benefit in any way from me posting here.

Hulamau
03-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Some perhaps, but not me. I have been planning this for months, so it's clearly not a spur of the moment emotional decision for me. I'd obviously bet you that you're wrong, but there'd be no way to prove it on my end.

You'd lose that guarantee in my case. I did it with MLB, my favorite sport at the time, and I'll do it now with the NFL. Obviously, some will talk big now and then cave when the first game is played. I will not.

I spend a lot of money on entertainment. Be it sports, movies, games, whatever. I don't expect much in return. Entertain me and at least pretend to care about me and you'll usually get it. The NFL stopped pretending to care, so I'll spend my time and money elsewhere. Simple as that.

I'll still spend time here. That won't change much at least in the short term. The NFL doesn't benefit in any way from me posting here.

No doubt some, such as yourself will stay mad enough to boycott the NFL, but most won't no matter how much they bellow at the moment. Not as long as the game comes back strong as ever. Its human nature. That isnt an excuse for greedy owners and player associations to play Russian Roulette with the game we all love, but am just saying the intense emotions of such things have a tendency to fade away in the return to normalcy and the fun of a full season and offseason of activity as we all know and love.

You're duly noted as a non-cave in'er and likely one of the few to stick by their 'all things NFL' boycott for good.

bendog
03-14-2011, 12:49 PM
Personally, I stopped taking the nfl too seriously when Shanny kept that **** Travis Henry for more than one year. I could take having a **** like that on the team for a year as a short term replacement for an injury or just a ****ty year for RBs. But God Damn. Then the DogKiller and rapesburger. I mean the games are still a reason to have a social event or a few beers, but the NFL lost me a long time ago in terms of hanging on like I did in the 60s-90s. I can take druggies, but people who abuse other living things and treat children with less respect than a used condom ... no thanks.

I'm much less annoyed with employers and employees disagreeing over who gets how much money, esp since there seems to be legit questions as to whether the last contract could result in smaller market teams eventually losing money. If that's true, then the owners have legit problem. If it's not, the players are right to be pissed that they're being lied to. And there's no real analogy to anyone working in a different profession, because the owners ability to have a cap and a draft and all the rest only exist because the union agrees not to sue them for anti-trust. You and I don't have that power.

bronco militia
03-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Damn that would suck if they get it figured out next week and it's business as usual and you don't have your tickets

If they went on a kickass run in a year or two and you don't have your tickets how will you feel then?

it's ok, I'm over it. going to the game is not that big of deal anymore.

bendog
03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
it's ok, I'm over it. going to the game is not that big of deal anymore.

And when you're an old time fan, you remember "rivalries" like SD and Cinny and the seahags which are games that you can pick up tix for pretty easily

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-14-2011, 02:11 PM
No doubt some, such as yourself will stay mad enough to boycott the NFL, but most won't no matter how much they bellow at the moment.
I started this thread just to say that I'm tired of the crap between 2 parties of millionaire/billionaire adults, not that I'm "mad" or am planning to "boycott the NFL".

I'm just resigned to the fact that it's gone this far, like I knew it would, ... and now these clowns are childishly bickering and pointing fingers as they argue over a $9billion ANNUAL windfall, that we (football fans) have given to them.

I ENJOY drinking on Sundays at local bars, watching games, stirring up people about their respective teams.
Also ENJOY going to a game now and then, seeing TGN in Denver or meeting new people when my team is playing away! (Den @ NYG in 05, was one of my favorite games ever, despite the fact we LOST!)
And I'm not about to change those things I enjoy to get back at the NFL, I enjoy them too much!!

My whole thought process is just that I'm not going to give the NFLPA or the NFL any MORE of my hard earned money, for trivial items that I really can live without! ;)

TailgateNut
03-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Whatcha gonna do about your "raging tebowner"?

bronco militia
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Whatcha gonna do about your "raging tebowner"?

cold showers....lots, and lots of them :angel:

TailgateNut
03-14-2011, 02:27 PM
cold showers....lots, and lots of them :angel:

well, that's one less tebownite I have to stomach.:thumbsup:

bronco militia
03-14-2011, 02:36 PM
well, that's one less tebownite I have to stomach.:thumbsup:

at least one less drunk idiot......the last few years, gameday was like going to one of my kids soccer games.

yawn.

~Crash~
03-14-2011, 07:01 PM
see avatar

GoBroncos DownUnder
03-14-2011, 08:53 PM
see avatar
Wow man, there's a strange sense of satisfaction involved in seeing my "work" resurface on Bronco boards!!

http://orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=1162&dateline=1300154356
That was my solution in the "What to do about my Jay Cutler jersey?" thread last year! I still want to get one made to salute our temp QB Kyle Orton!:notworthy

http://orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=586&dateline=1144164156
TGN wears one of my FIRST attempts at making an animated gif file/image! I copied-imported-amended it from Raider Lifer - I think he's banned here!ROFL!

:raidersux:kcbard:
And these 2 are now almost 10 years old (maybe 8 years?), I made them for an old (now defunct) Broncos site called CyberHigh. I never quite finished the KC one, it's still a bit faulty! ;)

houghtam
03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Wow man, there's a strange sense of satisfaction involved in seeing my "work" resurface on Bronco boards!!

http://orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=1162&dateline=1300154356
That was my solution in the "What to do about my Jay Cutler jersey?" thread last year! I still want to get one made to salute our temp QB Kyle Orton!:notworthy

http://orangemane.com/BB/image.php?u=586&dateline=1144164156
TGN wears one of my FIRST attempts at making an animated gif file/image! I copied-imported-amended it from Raider Lifer - I think he's banned here!ROFL!

:raidersux:kcbard:
And these 2 are now almost 10 years old (maybe 8 years?), I made them for an old (now defunct) Broncos site called CyberHigh. I never quite finished the KC one, it's still a bit faulty! ;)

Oh, good old Cyber High. Who all from here was at that site? I can think of a few, anyway...me, you, TGN, Bronco Yoda, Beantown, CBF, JasoninLA...I imagine all the Raiders douches including Lifer are banned from this site?

Punisher
03-14-2011, 09:23 PM
No football on sundays i guess ill finish my novel

mkporter
03-15-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm going to wait a few months before I start to really care either way. Until then it is mostly just noise. The owners opted out of the current deal because they want a better one. The players decertified because they think it will get them the best deal.

Kinda surprised that so many people here side with the Billionaires in this thing right now. Maybe most people would trade anything to make the player's salary so it seems ridiculous when they whine about wanting more. I'd give anything to have enough money to buy an NFL team too, so it also seems petty to me for these guys to whine about needing more money.

As far as players asking to see the books, why wouldn't they? If you were negotiating with someone who said they needed more money out of the deal because they were losing money under the current deal, wouldn't you make them prove it before agreeing to concessions?

Each party needs the other to continue making money. This will get resolved, and life will go on. I would much prefer that they'd just do their dirty work in private and stop b****ing in the press, however.

Bottom line: I don't want to hear about it any more, both sides should take a pay cut and let me pay $3 for a beer and a hot dog at the game, instead of $15, and the janitors should get 20% raises. That would actually make a difference in some lives. Whether Peyton gets $20M or $21M per season, or Dan Snyder can buy another Yacht, it doesn't change their lives at all.

bronco militia
03-16-2011, 09:18 AM
Dear Roger,

I just received your heart felt canned letter, and I think I speak for all fans when I say thank you! Thank you because even though you knew this day was coming two years ago you spent that time diligently focused on all the issues that matter the most to fans, such as fining players for sock violations and monitoring player's twitter accounts. There might not be football for a while but you made good on your promise to clean up the league. Draconian governing is a 24 hour a day job, fans can understand how something like the CBA that would keep the league up and running became secondary. Thank you for as you mentioned working "tirelessly" the last two weeks, because for a league that only took 50 years and several lawsuits to acknowledge that football and head injury "might" be related, we as fans had all the confidence in the world that you'd get a CBA hammered out in 14 days. But most importantly we'd like to thank you for giving us an opportunity to decide, decide what to do with with the $1500 we might have spent for 2 winter days in destination cities such as Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland or spend 7 days in some place like Destin, Gulf Shores or a cruise with our family. Sure we'd much rather spend that $1500 dollars on a sleety weekend in a less than premium seating next to a shirtless, belligerent, fat man painted in his teams colors but like all good authority figures do, you gave us a chance at what we needed most.... healthy relaxation with our families. After all Roger just like you said even though its totally the players fault this has happened you know whats best for fans, and it's all about the fans. A good commissioner doesn't always give us what we want be what we need.

As fans to show our appreciation we'd like you to take a long summer vacation to recover from your 2 years and 14 days of "tireless" efforts, check back in late October maybe we wont have spent that $1500 on a summer family trip and we'll come see you again....so long as you don't interfere with the up coming baseball season, just stay out from in front of the camera for now because I don't give a flying **** about what you millionaire cry-babies are squabbling over these days.....piss off and "play ball".

Lovingly yours,
NFL Fan

oubronco
03-16-2011, 09:25 AM
Amen

tsiguy96
03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm going to wait a few months before I start to really care either way. Until then it is mostly just noise. The owners opted out of the current deal because they want a better one. The players decertified because they think it will get them the best deal.

Kinda surprised that so many people here side with the Billionaires in this thing right now. Maybe most people would trade anything to make the player's salary so it seems ridiculous when they whine about wanting more. I'd give anything to have enough money to buy an NFL team too, so it also seems petty to me for these guys to whine about needing more money.

As far as players asking to see the books, why wouldn't they? If you were negotiating with someone who said they needed more money out of the deal because they were losing money under the current deal, wouldn't you make them prove it before agreeing to concessions?

Each party needs the other to continue making money. This will get resolved, and life will go on. I would much prefer that they'd just do their dirty work in private and stop b****ing in the press, however.

Bottom line: I don't want to hear about it any more, both sides should take a pay cut and let me pay $3 for a beer and a hot dog at the game, instead of $15, and the janitors should get 20% raises. That would actually make a difference in some lives. Whether Peyton gets $20M or $21M per season, or Dan Snyder can buy another Yacht, it doesn't change their lives at all.

100000 % agree.

hades
03-16-2011, 09:41 AM

Been away for a while, and have not read every post, but that post is spot on about TV revenue and how much they pay the NFL. Want to make a dent in how many people watch on TV, use rabit ear antenna's (or anything to get the OTA signal) instead of using cable/satelite. If they don;t know how many people are watching, more power for the little guy!

Well, not really more power, but WTH, make them think their viewer number are lower than they are!

waz06
03-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Well if the season is called off we will still drive down to Denver on Sundays but invest the money we save at the blackjack tables in Blackhawk. At least we will not be paying 7 bucks for a drink

Cito Pelon
03-18-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm on the owners side right now. They gave a fair offer to the NFLPA last week prior to deadline, and also gave up quite a bit in the last CBA (guaranteeing 59.5% of gross).

Think about it. Guaranteeing 59.5% of gross is a big, big, bigtime concession to your employees in a Collective Bargaining Agreement. That's a contract any labor union would kill for, and from what I've seen that 59.5% would still be in effect with the owners latest offer.

The only difference from the last CBA is the owners would take an extra 5-8% off the top of the gross revenue, and also offered concessions regarding player safety, long term health care, League-sponsored retirement benefits, etc.

With all considered, I'm with the owners. They offered a real fair deal.

Ugly Duck
03-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Kinda surprised that so many people here side with the Billionaires in this thing right now.

Oh yeah sure... easy for you to say. You're not the one suffering maintenance fees from the Swiss banks that house your billions. You're not the one paying out giant salaries to lawyers that keep you from paying any taxes. You've probably never felt the pain of hearing an accountant say, "You shouldn't buy a 4th tropical Island paradise - it might arouse the suspicions of the SEC!" Until you've suffered that kind of pain, I don't think you're qualified to cast aspersions upon the poor owners!

db56
03-19-2011, 06:25 AM
dont care, wake me up in August...

TheReverend
03-19-2011, 07:02 AM
Dear Roger,

I just received your heart felt canned letter, and I think I speak for all fans when I say thank you! Thank you because even though you knew this day was coming two years ago you spent that time diligently focused on all the issues that matter the most to fans, such as fining players for sock violations and monitoring player's twitter accounts. There might not be football for a while but you made good on your promise to clean up the league. Draconian governing is a 24 hour a day job, fans can understand how something like the CBA that would keep the league up and running became secondary. Thank you for as you mentioned working "tirelessly" the last two weeks, because for a league that only took 50 years and several lawsuits to acknowledge that football and head injury "might" be related, we as fans had all the confidence in the world that you'd get a CBA hammered out in 14 days. But most importantly we'd like to thank you for giving us an opportunity to decide, decide what to do with with the $1500 we might have spent for 2 winter days in destination cities such as Buffalo, Detroit and Cleveland or spend 7 days in some place like Destin, Gulf Shores or a cruise with our family. Sure we'd much rather spend that $1500 dollars on a sleety weekend in a less than premium seating next to a shirtless, belligerent, fat man painted in his teams colors but like all good authority figures do, you gave us a chance at what we needed most.... healthy relaxation with our families. After all Roger just like you said even though its totally the players fault this has happened you know whats best for fans, and it's all about the fans. A good commissioner doesn't always give us what we want be what we need.

As fans to show our appreciation we'd like you to take a long summer vacation to recover from your 2 years and 14 days of "tireless" efforts, check back in late October maybe we wont have spent that $1500 on a summer family trip and we'll come see you again....so long as you don't interfere with the up coming baseball season, just stay out from in front of the camera for now because I don't give a flying **** about what you millionaire cry-babies are squabbling over these days.....piss off and "play ball".

Lovingly yours,
NFL Fan

This is so good and true it's ridiculous.

gunns
03-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Dear Roger,

Lovingly yours,
NFL Fan

Damn, I wonder if I wrote that. I could have. :thumbsup:

Garcia Bronco
03-19-2011, 07:32 AM
bah...I just don't care.