PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Orton isn't going anywhere now and will be our starter whether we like it or not.

KevinJames
03-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Sorry Tim Tebow but your going to have to wait another year for sure now.

theres going to be an NFL season in September but theres probably not going to be those other things like camps and OTAs and maybe even pre-reason which really does hurt us.

but it also means we can't just throw Tebow into the fire with no camps and OTAs and we can't trade Orton for draft picks.

sad day for bronco fans.

TheReverend
03-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Says you :)

lostknight
03-11-2011, 02:59 PM
It's pretty safe to say that Kyle Orton might just be the only winner in this thing.

Which is ironic, given his lack of winningness.

Broncobiv
03-11-2011, 03:01 PM

theres going to be an NFL season in September but theres probably not going to be those other things like camps and OTAs and maybe even pre-reason which really does hurt us.

but it also means we can't just throw Tebow into the fire with no camps and OTAs and we can't trade Orton for draft picks.

sad day for bronco fans.

Why not? We threw him in there in week 15 of last season. How is that any better than starting him week 1 of the following season?

Put it this way...he's got more experience now than he did last season when he started.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
from what i understand, its now just gonna be business as usual using 2010 rules? So...why cant he be traded? If Doty files an injunction that says they cant lock the players out, then the new league year should start up soon

KevinJames
03-11-2011, 03:02 PM
It's pretty safe to say that Kyle Orton might just be the only winner in this thing.

personally I wouldn't say Kyle Orton wins anything in this situation, hes stuck in a town who ultimately wants to see Tim Tebow start and who want to see him out the door for a draft pick, its hard to be somewhere fans don't want you, I just hope fans can be smart and realize we have no choice and we should at least try to support Orton in 2011.

Gort
03-11-2011, 03:03 PM

maybe he has tiger blood?

PRBronco
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
*Reasonably sized picture of Jump to Conclusions mat here*

KevinJames
03-11-2011, 03:09 PM
from what i understand, its now just gonna be business as usual using 2010 rules? So...why cant he be traded? If Doty files an injunction that says they cant lock the players out, then the new league year should start up soon

I wish there was a clear write up about this whole thing, everything I am reading says a different outcome.

but as of right now I am hearing it doesn't look good for OTAs, camp and pre-season.

but one thing I read said FA will still happen just in mid-april which would be nice.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I wish there was a clear write up about this whole thing, everything I am reading says a different outcome.

but as of right now I am hearing it doesn't look good for OTAs, camp and pre-season.

but one thing I read said FA will still happen just in mid-april which would be nice.

But i think the confusion is whether or not there will be a lockout...but i cant imagine any cirucmstance in which there will be. So then what exactly? Im not positive, but i think its business as usual.

eddie mac
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
If there's FA then trading will be allowed, you can bank on that. It probably means though now the 6 year rule may stay in place so the FA pool will be real thin again anyway.

Garcia Bronco
03-11-2011, 03:30 PM

sad day for bronco fans.

Lol. That just means Tebow has more time to work.

Doggcow
03-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Kyle Orton is just tired of delivering the goods at every frickin' turn.

PRBronco
03-11-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/one-take-on-decertification

schaaf
03-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Goodbye to trading down

yerner
03-11-2011, 03:59 PM

Why hasn't anyone else explained it this way all along?

long beach bronco
03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
You took the words right out of my typing fingers, schaaf. ;)

SonOfLe-loLang
03-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Goodbye to trading down

why?

cutthemdown
03-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Don't panic people we could still have a season. Anyone want to protest. We could all make signs and take craps on a lawn somewhere? Meh who cares we have bball playoffs and baseball to watch.

Crushaholic
03-11-2011, 04:11 PM

Kyle Orton played on defense? :ouwknow:

Tombstone RJ
03-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Great read, thanks! Well, it looks like we might have football after all.

schaaf
03-11-2011, 04:20 PM
why?

It's still possible, just unlikely with no rookie wage scale in place

Tombstone RJ
03-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Pat better get ready to pony up some cash for that #2 pick...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-11-2011, 04:35 PM
It's still possible, just unlikely with no rookie wage scale in place

oooh. nevermind. yes. But i dont really want to trade down anyway

misturanderson
03-11-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm wondering why they would have any reason to sign draft picks before the rookie wage scale gets put in place.

They could also very easily just refuse to pay rookies more than the wage scale, that has already been agreed upon, set up. I'm pretty sure the rookie wage scale was already outlined and could easily be followed even though there isn't a new CBA mandating it.

doonwise
03-11-2011, 06:24 PM
If Orton is going to be here, then let the best man win. Another year of Tebow learning would not be a bad thing.

TonyR
03-11-2011, 06:29 PM
The Denver Broncos have one of the biggest dilemmas in the NFL heading into the 2011 season.

What should they do with Tim Tebow?

Last year, Tebow was one of the most polarizing players to enter the draft in recent years. Teams either liked or disliked the former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback. There was no Tebow gray area. The person who most believed in Tebow was former Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. He traded three draft picks to move up to No. 25 so Denver could draft Tebow. McDaniels has since been fired, leaving Tebow in Denver without his biggest supporter.

Now, the new Denver regime has a raw former first-round pick in whom the team has a lot invested.

The Broncos have denied rumors that they are not fans of Tebow. Recently, new Denver coach John Fox has maintained that Kyle Orton -- whom Tebow replaced for the final three games of the 2010 season -- is the starter, as of now. Fox did say there will be competition.

What should Denver do? Here are the pros and cons of Denver starting the Tebow era now.
Read the rest here: http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/25178/pros-and-cons-of-starting-tebow-in-2011

KipCorrington25
03-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Let Orton be the starter on paper for all those games that get cancelled, then he won't have to pout anymore.

TheReverend
03-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Kyle Orton played on defense? :ouwknow:

Close. Every 3rd down he just made sure they had a chance to play.

Drek
03-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Talk about a random assumption.

Here's what we know. When football does resume its going to be following a greatly protracted pre-season, if any pre-season at all. Players will be in charge of their own conditioning and development.

So who do you think will show up for this protracted pre-season ready to ball, King Neckbeard AKA Kyle "jackncoke" Orton or Tim Tebow?

Tebow with a few mil to blow in the off-season might just show up more yoked up than when he left. He's hired his own QB coach before, quite recently, too. He's already mentioned when interviewed on NFL Live that he's planning to get in touch with the other offensive players to put some work in.

Kyle Orton? Just some passive aggressive comments about not wanting to ride the bench. From a guy who's historically never been a real gym rat or big practice guy.

This might not even be much of a competition come late August/early September.

Tombstone RJ
03-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Actually, I think Denver is in a great situation. If Orton stays and starts, great, it gives Tebow time to develop and that is just fine with me. If Orton is traded and Tebow starts, fine, we'll see what the kid can do.

Fact is, this team is not going to win many games with either QB. I'm really on the fence about Orton and Tebow... after the season I was all like "trade Orton, let the Tebow era begin!" Now I'm more like, "keep Orton, develop Tebow, and build for the future."

I can live with either plan.

Also, the running game simply has to improve. There's no getting around that fact. Orton is gonna be toast if the running game stinks but that's life in the NFL. In fact, if Orton starts next season, you can bank on it that he'll be injured for a few games and Tebow will get his snaps.

oubronco
03-11-2011, 08:17 PM

Here's what we know. When football does resume its going to be following a greatly protracted pre-season, if any pre-season at all. Players will be in charge of their own conditioning and development.

So who do you think will show up for this protracted pre-season ready to ball, King Neckbeard AKA Kyle "jackncoke" Orton or Tim Tebow?

Tebow with a few mil to blow in the off-season might just show up more yoked up than when he left. He's hired his own QB coach before, quite recently, too. He's already mentioned when interviewed on NFL Live that he's planning to get in touch with the other offensive players to put some work in.

Kyle Orton? Just some passive aggressive comments about not wanting to ride the bench. From a guy who's historically never been a real gym rat or big practice guy.

And what happens if he gets some nookie in the offseason? You think he'll go berserk like Britney Spears did once she got some dong

RaiderH8r
03-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Let Orton be the starter on paper for all those games that get cancelled, then he won't have to pout anymore.

And he'll finally stop losing.

Beantown Bronco
03-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Six years in the league.....ONE losing season as a starter.

razorwire77
03-11-2011, 09:07 PM

That's what I'm thinking. Tim Tebow will spend the time in flux lifting weights, reading scripture, and doing whatever Fox tells him to do. I still think Orton gets dealt before the draft, and it's much ado about nothing, but even if we get a competition, I think Tebow beats him out.

TomServo
03-12-2011, 01:43 AM
just another McD landmine. as i tell my kids. Tebow might take us to SB's like elway or he might be out of the league like matt lienert. college success is meaningless.

maven
03-12-2011, 03:47 AM
If Orton is the starter or will be the starter the next few seasons, I will find other things to do on Sunday. I've seen enough of him to know there's no SB appearance with him as the leader.

Gort
03-12-2011, 03:55 AM
If Orton is the starter or will be the starter the next few seasons, I will find other things to do on Sunday. I've seen enough of him to know there's no SB appearance with him as the leader.

i don't hate the guy. it's just that he's not a good fit for this team right now. he'd be better off elsewhere... like Minnesota.

and it doesn't help that he pouted at the end of the year when Tebow played and also seems to be giving Tebow the cold shoulder. somebody should force him to sit his ass down and watch the final couple of games of the season, where the Broncos were MUCH more competitive with Tebow than they were most of the season with him. maybe Orton could learn something himself.

Dedhed
03-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Why hasn't anyone else explained it this way all along?

Because it's not dramatic enough for the sensationalist media that rules the airwaves and interwebs.

BroncoInferno
03-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Fox and Elway have no choice but to start Tebow. The fans will turn against them in hurry if they don't. That wouldn't be a fair situation to put Orton through, either.

BroncoInferno
03-12-2011, 08:47 AM

There is no evidence at all that Orton is not a hard worker. In fact, I've heard precisely the opposite. Talk about making assumptions. He may not hit the weights like Hulk Hogan, but neither does Brady or Manning.

That said, I think there is no going back now that the Tebow genie is out of the bottle. If Orton starts, the fans will turn on Elway and Fox...and Orton. He wouldn't stand a chance...every incomplete pass or sack would lead to Armageddon in the stands.

Drek
03-12-2011, 08:59 AM
There is no evidence at all that Orton is not a hard worker. In fact, I've heard precisely the opposite. Talk about making assumptions. He may not hit the weights like Hulk Hogan, but neither does Brady or Manning.

That said, I think there is no going back now that the Tebow genie is out of the bottle. If Orton starts, the fans will turn on Elway and Fox...and Orton. He wouldn't stand a chance...every incomplete pass or sack would lead to Armageddon in the stands.

Its entirely possible that Orton is a hard worker, but he hasn't shown a previous track record of great off-season conditioning and advancement. Tim Tebow has a proven track record of just the opposite. He's not a very easy person to compete with when the competition is on who's the better self starter, which is what a lockout period requires.

The Moops
03-13-2011, 12:28 PM
I still believe Tebow will start.

We already know what Orton is capable of . . . losing and being an average NFL QB

fdf
03-13-2011, 02:43 PM
i don't hate the guy. it's just that he's not a good fit for this team right now. he'd be better off elsewhere... like Minnesota.

and it doesn't help that he pouted at the end of the year when Tebow played and also seems to be giving Tebow the cold shoulder. somebody should force him to sit his ass down and watch the final couple of games of the season, where the Broncos were MUCH more competitive with Tebow than they were most of the season with him. maybe Orton could learn something himself.

Orton is, imho, the clear front runner. Fox is a very conservative coach when it comes to Quarterbacks and Orton is his kind of QB. Tebow will have to decisively take the job away from Orton. With no preseason, that won't happen. Frankly, I would prefer Tebow. But we're going to get Orton.

BMF Bronco
03-13-2011, 03:26 PM
A lot of the same people championing Orton are the same that wanted to get rid of Plummer. I will leavie it at that.

Shananahan
03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
Its entirely possible that Orton is a hard worker, but he hasn't shown a previous track record of great off-season conditioning and advancement.
You don't consider the difference from his first season here to his second season great advancement? Granted, I can't really speak to his conditioning because his ankle was all messed up the first season, but I thought he played much, much better within the system his second season.

Shananahan
03-13-2011, 04:24 PM
I still think this is all a waste of time to debate. The front office has come out and said they were asking for a second round pick for Orton. That's not the kind of thing you do when you have your long-term answer and I think he's gone as soon as they get a decent offer. The more they stress that he is their QB now, the more likely I think it is that Tebow is the guy.

zdoor
03-13-2011, 05:09 PM

2 seasons as a Bronco and his best season was .500 and the other is too putrid to post...

Beantown Bronco
03-13-2011, 05:46 PM
2 seasons as a Bronco and his best season was .500 and the other is too putrid to post...

Not to nitpick, but he had a winning season as a starter for us in 2009.

footstepsfrom#27
03-13-2011, 05:53 PM

This.

I like how the article focuses on Denver and Tebow, when every NFL team with a new coach is in the same position with every player drafted by their old regime.

schaaf
03-13-2011, 05:55 PM

everything he said in his statement was correct???

TheReverend
03-13-2011, 06:03 PM

DEFINITELY nitpicking.

The only game he didn't start, he was already back in in the 2nd quarter and from then on proceeded to lead the team to a 3-19 tally.

TheReverend
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
everything he said in his statement was correct???

He's right. Orton missed the first 1.5 quarters vs SD, so technically he was 8-7 as a starter... but it's a massive technicality.

Shananahan
03-13-2011, 06:41 PM
DEFINITELY nitpicking.

The only game he didn't start, he was already back in in the 2nd quarter and from then on proceeded to lead the team to a 3-19 tally.
Yeah that doesn't even count as nitpicking, it's blatantly misrepresenting the truth with technicalities.

Riley
03-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Ortons one year contract makes it un-reasonabale to keep him in 2011.
If we did.. he will simply walk for free in 2012.

The whole reason for his one year extension was to be able to trade him.

No way the Broncos sign him to a multi year/multi million dollar deal.
No way would Kyle re-sign another one year deal so we'd have the right to trade him in 2012.

Tebow can win as many games for us this season as Orton can...
time to develop the kid.

Trade Orton the moment FA opens.

Steve Prefontaine
03-13-2011, 07:06 PM

Holy ****. You are serious?

Taco John
03-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm not worried about this. In the end, the most athletic and talented guy is going to win the job. I'm not confused about who that is, and I doubt the coaching staff will be either. Once it's time to play ball, it will be readily apparent which guy gives us the best shot at winning.

The Moops
03-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Kyle Orton won't be attending the OTAs, minicamps, etc. either . . .

He knows as much about John Fox's offense as Tebow right now.

tsiguy96
03-13-2011, 07:55 PM
Kyle Orton won't be attending the OTAs, minicamps, etc. either . . .

He knows as much about John Fox's offense as Tebow right now.

carolina ran essentially the same offense as denver did last year...and denver has the same OC and playcaller from last 4 games now too. why would it be that different?

Ambiguous
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
DEFINITELY nitpicking.

To be fair, he was injured and had no business even playing in that game. I think you can still pin that on Simms - while I'm at it, **** that guy.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd rather see Tebow out there in September.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2011, 09:15 PM
DEFINITELY nitpicking.

Im my world the beatdown Denver took at the hands of KC in Denver gave Orton credit for two losses.

broncosteven
03-13-2011, 09:17 PM

6 years in the league and NO playoff appearances.

HAT
03-13-2011, 09:47 PM

Andre Johnson is a ****ty WR.

jhns
03-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Tebow outplayed Orton in live games last season so there is no reason to think Oryon will start.

bendog
03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Bowlen needs butts in the seats ... and buying beer.

Popps
03-14-2011, 09:12 AM
I'd be fine with either guy. Both have limitations. But, I think both could be winners with the right talent around them.

Nice place to be.

CEH
03-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Kyle Orton equals Jeff Blake. Look it up. Pretty much the same record and stats for his 3+ years in Cincy.Would anyone be excited about Jeff Blake?

If Orton starts in '11 I'd rather the owners force a lock out for most of the season. Atleast I get my money back instead of watching Jeff Orton led this team to another 7-9 8-8 season and choke in crunch time

TheReverend
03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Kyle Orton equals Jeff Blake. Look it up. Pretty much the same record and stats for his 3+ years in Cincy.Would anyone be excited about Jeff Blake?

If Orton starts in '11 I'd rather the owners force a lock out for most of the season. Atleast I get my money back instead of watching Jeff Orton led this team to another 7-9 8-8 season and choke in crunch time

Or 2-13.

bendog
03-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I just hope he's got enough money saved or Jack stocked up so he doesn't get the DTs.

Miss I.
03-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I just hope he's got enough money saved or Jack stocked up so he doesn't get the DTs.

Me too. Otherwise, it will be Tiger Blood Part II, or I guess King Neckbeard will discuss drinking Jack, but either way...I wonder if Kyle snorts coke off hookers too? hmmm

teknic
03-15-2011, 10:52 AM
If the lockout does end before the draft, I would rather see Orton traded for either a defensive starter or a draft pick.

I think Orton could get a 2nd round pick out of a team, which would net us a chance at guys like Austin, Nevis, Taylor, or we could use that pick to trade back into the first for Paea.

If you decide to try and acquire a defensive starter instead, the Broncos should call up Ron Rivera and see if he wants his Chicago QB back. Unless the Panthers are sold on Newton or Gabbert, it makes sense to acquire a veteran QB and take the BPA #1 overall. If they aren't sold on Newton or Gabbert, this draft could end up like 2007, Oakland taking Jamarcus Russell and Calvin Johnson sliding to the Lions. Rivera will likely look to bring in some new players on a defense that went 2-14, so he may be open to letting some players go. I think Orton and a third round pick for Beason is reasonable, and gaining a great young MLB, which is a huge position of need for the Broncos, would go a long way to making this defense respectable.

BMF Bronco
03-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I am utterly amazed that people are seriously wanting Orton to be the QB. I was at the Texans game and saw what Tebow did, and I tell you what, the last time I saw the stadium that electric was when we beat the Pats in the playoffs in '05 and in 91 when we came back and beat the Oilers in the Divisionals. The excitement that Tebow brings back to Denver is in itself enough to start him. He's a natural winner, he will learn to become a phenominal QB.