PDA

View Full Version : NFLPA leader: 18-game schedule off the table in CBA negotiations

El Minion
03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
NFLPA leader: 18-game schedule off the table in CBA negotiations
(http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/03/09/nfl.labor.18.game.schedule/index.html)

WASHINGTON -- For the first time publicly, NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said tonight that an 18-game season is off the negotiating table in collective bargaining talks with the owners.

Speaking before approximately 100 fans during a joint event with radio station 106.7-FM "The Fan" at the union's downtown office, Smith was categorical that the players won't expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games. He previously had been nuanced in his remarks, saying any change would be predicated on significant adjustments to teams' offseason training programs and the amount of padded contact the players endured during in-season practices.

However when contacted after a Q&A sessions with fans, Smith reiterated that 18 games is a no-go with the players.

"First of all, the league has never presented a formal proposal for 18 games," he told SI.com. "But more importantly, it's something that our players don't want. Eighteen games is not in the best interest of our players' safety, so we're not doing it."

The expanded season was thought to be one of the key talking points in the sides' negotiations for a new agreement; the current deal expires Friday night. The other sticking points are a rookie wage scale -- Yahoo! Sports reported today the sides have agreed on the parameters of a new rookie compensation system -- and a redistribution of league revenues. The league is seeking an additional $1 billion per year in expense credits that would be taken off the top before revenues are divided among the players and owners. The union has said there will be no significant financial givebacks unless the owners open their books.

Speaking outside the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service offices in downtown Washington today after negotiations ended for the evening, Smith said: "How much financial information would you want before you write a $5 billion check?"

Smith was referring to the total amount owners are seeking over a potential five-year agreement.

maven
03-09-2011, 05:22 PM
That sucks, would have liked it. But, it's not over yet.

schaaf
03-09-2011, 05:24 PM
i read tonight that a rookie wage scale has been agreed upon

GoBroncos84
03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
18 games is a terrible idea, IMO. Now if they can just work out the revenue split in the next few days we might be done with this. Getting a rookie wage scale in place and not having an 18 game schedule are great steps in the right direction. Both positions that I supported. Unfortunately, the financial elements are the most contentious and divisive. But at least progress is being made in the other areas

GoBroncos84
03-09-2011, 05:26 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/report-agreement-reached-on-rookie-wage-scale/

It has been

crush17
03-09-2011, 05:27 PM
This is a good thing. 18 game schedule was never really a good idea.

eddie mac
03-09-2011, 05:32 PM
A 16 game regular season is probably one of the lowest of any professional sport known to man. Professional rugby teams (yeah no pads) play as many as 30-40 games a season for their clubs and that doesn't even hit the mark for players who play for their country.

Any ****ing wonder the owners want to lock these pussies out.

BroncoMan4ever
03-09-2011, 05:41 PM
A 16 game regular season is probably one of the lowest of any professional sport known to man. Professional rugby teams (yeah no pads) play as many as 30-40 games a season for their clubs and that doesn't even hit the mark for players who play for their country.

the fact that there are only 16 games in a season is one of the best things about the NFL. unlike in seemingly every sport that just drags on and on the NFL leaves you wanting more.

the games are worth more. 1 loss in the NFL is worth 10 in the MLB, 5 in the NHL and NBA.

also, even at 16 games in a season, there is a team or teams every year that have playoff spots locked up, division crowns already wrapped up, that are coasting the last 2-3 weeks of the season. add 2 more games and some teams can realistically be on a month long vacation heading into the playoffs. it waters down the product

GoBroncos84

Do you honestly think Rugby is more physically demanding than Football? That the hits in Rugby even compare to the ones in the NFL? I've played both, watch both. Rugby is very much a contact sport. Football is a collision sport. Rugby players are exceptionally tough, I am not taking anything away from them. But 16 NFL games is unquestionably the most physically demanding of all professional sports, and extending the season will shorten players careers and increase injuries. Not to mention reeking havoc on the record books and diminishing the preseason, which I view as being very important for young players and guys on the bubble.

Cosmo
Well, so far the owners are conceding more than the players, so I assume the owners win the percentage of money thing. Either that, or the players are just down right retarded and the owners are just trying to get football going.

SonOfLe-loLang

Granted i havent watched a **** ton of rugby, and i like the sport fine, and its obviously played by some tough sons of bitches, but i dont find it as violent as football, perhaps only because football is played in pads.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Well, so far the owners are conceding more than the players, so I assume the owners win the percentage of money thing. Either that, or the players are just down right retarded and the owners are just trying to get football going.

More like the owners lost a lot of their leverage after the Doty ruling.

Houshyamama
03-09-2011, 05:42 PM

I'd be in favor of 20+ games per season.

Give the teams a few more bye weeks a season to recuperate. Sure the game might change, but it would probably change for the better. I'm tired of waiting 3/4 of a year to watch 16 games and then start all over.

tsiguy96
03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
I'd be in favor of 20+ games per season.

Give the teams a few more bye weeks a season to recuperate. Sure the game might change, but it would probably change for the better. I'm tired of waiting 3/4 of a year to watch 16 games and then start all over.

the one bad thing is, with 18 games, every single record held by the all time greats goes out the window. id like 18 games with 2-3 bye weeks

Houshyamama
03-09-2011, 05:46 PM
the one bad thing is, with 18 games, every single record held by the all time greats goes out the window. id like 18 games with 2-3 bye weeks

Yeah I hear that, but I'm not too concerned about the records. They are what they are and the game is changing anyway. Elway's old records will be eclipsed by the new pass-heavy style anyway. I'm not in favor of holding the game back in order to please the stat-hounds. That's just me though.

Dr. Broncenstein
03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Players can't stay healthy for 16 games. This is fine with me.

El Minion
03-09-2011, 06:05 PM
More pressure.

末末末末末末末末末末末末
Union asks Judge Doty to unseal 斗ockout insurance records (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/09/union-asks-judge-doty-to-unseal-lockout-insurance-records/)

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2011, 8:50 PM EST
http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/doty1.jpg?w=136
With the labor negotiations teetering on the brink, the union has ramped up the litigation pressure, possibly in advance of the decertify-and-sue maneuver.

The Associated Press reports that the NFLPA has filed a motion with U.S. Judge David Doty requesting that he unseal evidence and testimony (http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41998084/) from the 斗ockout insurance case. In the court filing, union lawyers explained that 都uch openness provides context that 努ill be the basis for rulings to come.

The next big ruling in the lockout insurance case relates to whether Judge Doty will prevent the league from receiving the $4.3 billion in 2011 TV revenue in the event of a work stoppage. Last week, Judge Doty found that the league violated the CBA by failing to maximize the revenue shared by the NFL and the players when negotiating the term that will pay only the owners during a lockout.

The NFLPA claims that the league has yet to explain why the information should remain sealed, and that the league has failed to cooperate with efforts to agree on strategies for protecting third parties, specifically the networks.

It appears that the union primarily hopes to apply more pressure to the league at this delicate juncture of the labor talks. A decision to release the materials could result in negative P.R. fallout for the league, and it possibly could strain relations with the networks, depending on the extent to which potentially proprietary information is protected.

WolfpackGuy
03-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Lockout insurance?

I wonder what the premium was/is on that?

zdoor
03-09-2011, 06:21 PM

Its on PFT and our #2 just became trade-able as a result. We could stockpile if the FO wants to.....

mhgaffney
03-09-2011, 06:25 PM
No pro game is more violent than pro Foooball -- except pro boxing.

16 games is more than enough

El Minion
03-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Andre Waters (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734941), Fred McNeil (http://www.callawyer.com/story.cfm?eid=913366&evid=1), Mike Webster (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1972285), Dave Duerson (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/18/2073500/ex-chicago-bears-safety-dave-duerson.html) and countless other former NFL players disagree.

http://www.philavania.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/andre-waters-220x250.jpg

http://prod.static.vikings.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/MIN/photos/clubimages/2010/10-October/fred-mcneill-6--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/media/nfl/2005/0121/photo/i_websterphoto_i.jpg

http://media.miamiherald.com/smedia/2011/02/18/16/Obit_Duerson_Football.embedded.prod_affiliate.56.J PG

missingnumber7
03-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Amen to no 18 game season. Think its bad with teams resting players in weeks 16 and 17. Would be even worse with 18 game season.

cutthemdown
03-09-2011, 06:40 PM
The season is perfect. By the time FA and the draft over we get some training camp, preseason, then the games again. I don't think we need more.

cutthemdown
03-09-2011, 06:41 PM
No pro game is more violent than pro Foooball -- except pro boxing.

16 games is more than enough

UFC?

tsiguy96
03-09-2011, 06:43 PM
they DO need to do something with the preseason games. maybe cut one PS games out and add another bye week.

yerner
03-09-2011, 06:43 PM
good. why mess with something that is perfect.

ColoradoDarin
03-09-2011, 06:50 PM
16 games is fine. If they wanted to, they could add another playoff team or two (I'd rather they didn't but if we're going to be expanding, that would be the place to do it)

bowtown
03-09-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd perfer 3 or 4 more preseason games and maybe a second pro bowl.

Garcia Bronco
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
What amuses me is 18 games was never actually on the table. It was a pawn.

RhymesayersDU
03-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I'd perfer 3 or 4 more preseason games and maybe a second pro bowl.

This is a joke post, right?

Atwater His Ass
03-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I kind of liked the idea I saw in an article the other day about expanding to 18 games, but reducing the quarters to 12 mins vice 15. Overal more games, but less actual time played. Thought it was an interesting compromise.

That One Guy
03-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I kind of liked the idea I saw in an article the other day about expanding to 18 games, but reducing the quarters to 12 mins vice 15. Overal more games, but less actual time played. Thought it was an interesting compromise.

So all we'd get is more commercial time. F that. If I sit down to watch a game, I want good long football. And all it'd do, really, is make you buy more tickets to see less games. Fans would go ape****.

That One Guy
03-09-2011, 08:32 PM

Well, personally, I don't think the rookie wage scale was a compromise. I think that's best for both parties. Make the rookies FA (or RFA, at least) faster but limit the money on the first or unproven contract - everyone except the first couple picks every year would benefit from that. The number trying to preserve it would be vastly smaller than the number to benefit from it going away. The only place it served anyone was by pushing contract sizes bigger but, really, all you had was guys making more on their rookie deal than subsequent deals. Look at all the guys being cut because they aren't worth their initial contract already.

I think the NFLPA wanted to bargain it away but realized it'd benefit everyone if those numbers were limited.

Atwater His Ass
03-09-2011, 08:50 PM
So all we'd get is more commercial time. F that. If I sit down to watch a game, I want good long football. And all it'd do, really, is make you buy more tickets to see less games. Fans would go ape****.

Not necessarily. Could just extend half-time to accomodate sponsors. In fact, with that model, it's concievable to actually have less in-game commercial time.

I don't see how you can say 'buy more tickets to see less games', when the amount of games is increasing in direct proportion to how many tickets a fan may buy.

Owners would get the revenue they want from 2 extra games, and players would actually take less snaps during the course of the season. Sounds like a win for both sides. This doesn't consider injuries due to increased practice time, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possiblity to limit the amount of practice time in pads with collision drills that teams could mandate.

The fans will put up with whatever they decide to do. Sure, maybe there will be some short term backlash, but in the long run in wouldn't hurt the league, and would also boost the argument for expansion, since with extra games, it would be an ideal situation to expand the playoffs (to make those extra games more meaningful) which promotes league expansion, so that's even more revenue coming into the league via more teams and expanded playoff coverage.

listopencil
03-09-2011, 09:22 PM
I want them to play a bazillion games a year, because the off season just kills me. I'll settle for 16.

Kaylore
03-09-2011, 09:28 PM
At least there's some movement. They have agreed to a rookie scale and maybe in return the owners will table discussion of expanding the season.

baja
03-09-2011, 10:20 PM

How about this; increase the roster size, expand to 18 games but no player can play more that 16 games.

There's your solution right there.

tsiguy96
03-09-2011, 10:30 PM
How about this; increase the roster size, expand to 18 games but no player can play more that 16 games.

patriots have to sit tom brady for 2 games? taking the best players off the field for any length of time is stupid. you wanna watch this team play without ryan clady and champ bailey for 2 games?

baja
03-09-2011, 10:32 PM
patriots have to sit tom brady for 2 games? taking the best players off the field for any length of time is stupid. you wanna watch this team play without ryan clady and champ bailey for 2 games?

ya

baja
03-09-2011, 10:34 PM
Coaching staff gets to pick and chose the games a player sits out. so if we are playing a weak passing team or a team we expect to beat thats when we sit a guy like Champ.

Taco John
03-09-2011, 10:41 PM

I actually really like that idea. It adds a certain managerial element that baseball has to the game - especially where quarterbacks are concerned. It makes your second string guys a lot more accountable too.

I like the 18 game concept, but oh well... Pipe dream now.

BigPlayShay
03-09-2011, 10:54 PM
We are missing out with only 16 games. Just imagine, a 7-11 Division winner hosting a 14-4 Wildcard team. Or a team sweeping their division and going 6-12. 18 games FTW!!!

eddie mac
03-10-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm just selfish, I dont like baseball and the NBA is okay, I'd love a season longer than 5 months.

NUB
03-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Bah, why keep targeting football for a crappy off-season? Maybe it's the MLB that needs to crackdown on cheaters and lack of player loyalty or the NBA needs to stop being so obvious in rigging games.

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2011, 01:06 AM

that would suck. i read that during the course of a 3 hour game on sunday where 60 minutes is actual game time out of all time, there is only action on the field happening for something like 11 minutes. meaning on an average sunday afternoon, we are on average watching 2 hours and 49 minutes of commercials, commentators, or players standing around between snaps.

12 minute quarters would water that down even more.

BroncoMan4ever
03-10-2011, 01:11 AM
I actually really like that idea. It adds a certain managerial element that baseball has to the game - especially where quarterbacks are concerned. It makes your second string guys a lot more accountable too.

I like the 18 game concept, but oh well... Pipe dream now.

jesus christ can you imagine Quinn out on the field trying to solidify a playoff berth or just get us a needed win.

watching him miss on throws some random drunk bastard in the stands could make would drive fans insane.

footstepsfrom#27
03-10-2011, 02:06 AM
Good, that was a stupid idea to begin with.

titan
03-10-2011, 04:57 AM

This has already happened when the NFL expanded from 14 to a 16 game schedule in the 70s. The old records under the 14 game schedule were mostly broken. You can see the impact of this even today. When Floyd Little was up for the hall of fame some critics were pointing out his career yardage totals didn't even match that of some mediocre running backs of the modern game, forgetting Floyd only played 14 regular season games in his career.

I am against a 18 game schedule, especially if they keep the same season start date and push the super bowl to the end of February. But if the NFL does it I don't think the old time records will be affected too much. Smart fans and hall of fame voters will take those old stats in the proper context. Floyd still got voted into the Hall.

Gort
03-10-2011, 05:11 AM
This has already happened when the NFL expanded from 14 to a 16 game schedule in the 70s. The old records under the 14 game schedule were mostly broken. You can see the impact of this even today. When Floyd Little was up for the hall of fame some critics were pointing out his career yardage totals didn't even match that of some mediocre running backs of the modern game, forgetting Floyd only played 14 regular season games in his career.

I am against a 18 game schedule, especially if they keep the same season start date and push the super bowl to the end of February. But if the NFL does it I don't think the old time records will be affected too much. Smart fans and hall of fame voters will take those old stats in the proper context. Floyd still got voted into the Hall.

true. rushing for a 1000 yards is not that big of a deal in a 16 game season. that's 62.5 yards per game, or 20 carries for slightly more than 3.1 yards per carry.

and yet, McD's prized 1st round running back couldn't even accomplish that in either of his first 2 years. we haven't had a back who could break the 1K barrier here since Tatum Bell in 2006.

tsiguy96
03-10-2011, 05:34 AM
and yet, McD's prized 1st round running back couldn't even accomplish that in either of his first 2 years. we haven't had a back who could break the 1K barrier here since Tatum Bell in 2006.

you really bring up mcd? let it go man, hes gone.

jhns
03-10-2011, 07:00 AM

That will happen as soon as everyone stops talking about Shanahan.

It is good to see they are making progress. I am fearing that Orton will really be the starter if they take too long.

Gort
03-10-2011, 08:22 AM

McD wasn't the subject of that sentence, McD's running back (Moreno) was. However, he is inextricably tied to McD much like Ricky Williams was tied to Ditka during his time in NO. deal with it.

Moreno is not the answer at RB. he's not shown himself worthy of the 12th overall pick in the draft. he's run for 100 or more yards exactly TWICE in 2 years (both against KC this past season). that's my point.

i'l even go further and predict that if there is a full 2011 season, Knowshon will miss more games because of injury than he will rush for 100 or more yards in a game.

Tombstone RJ
03-10-2011, 08:30 AM

Injuries are a major reason why the season is so short.

Cito Pelon
03-10-2011, 11:33 AM
McD wasn't the subject of that sentence, McD's running back (Moreno) was. However, he is inextricably tied to McD much like Ricky Williams was tied to Ditka during his time in NO. deal with it.

Moreno is not the answer at RB. he's not shown himself worthy of the 12th overall pick in the draft. he's run for 100 or more yards exactly TWICE in 2 years (both against KC this past season). that's my point.

i'l even go further and predict that if there is a full 2011 season, Knowshon will miss more games because of injury than he will rush for 100 or more yards in a game.

That's not unreasonable, but I think Moreno will have a very good career.

Buster Bluth
03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
McD wasn't the subject of that sentence, McD's running back (Moreno) was.

So why not say "Moreno" instead of "McD's running back"?

Do you call Obama "Michelle's husband"?

Gort
03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
So why not say "Moreno" instead of "McD's running back"?

Do you call Obama "Michelle's husband"?

i call him by his official title, King Barry Obama I of Kenya. keep in mind, this guy is such a narcissist, that after he won the election, but before he was inaugurated, he created the previously non-existent "Office of the President Elect" including his own seal so that he could give press conferences during that 2-month period of time as if he wielded power and authority on par with the sitting president.

what do you call him?

:wiggle:

all kidding aside, i called Knowshon McD's running back because that's the way i see him. McD said he was going to put in a power running game and he drafted Knowshon to be that guy and then the whole running game went down the drain. he's every bit as much McD's running back as Maddox was Reeve's QB.

Buster Bluth
03-10-2011, 03:19 PM
And nobody calls Maddox "Reeves'" (or "Reeve's" if you prefer and don't understand basic premises of grammar and punctuation) quarterback.

Sorry. Not interested in getting into a political pissing match in a football thread.

Gort
03-10-2011, 03:44 PM
And nobody calls Maddox "Reeves'" (or "Reeve's" if you prefer and don't understand basic premises of grammar and punctuation) quarterback.

Sorry. Not interested in getting into a political pissing match in a football thread.

ahhhh... the punctuation nazi card. followed shortly by the spelling nazi card, capitalization nazi card, and grammar nazi card.

congratulations.

NOBODY has EVER dismissed another person's argument on a forum simply because there were grammatical or punctuation errors. you're the first. or would you feel more superior if i wrote that as "your the first".

you brought up Obama, not me. i just answered your question. honestly. King Barry I likes to be called King. he's better than the rest of us, because he never had to actually hold a real job. he was a community organizer. just like Hitler.

anyway, you're just an alias. i don't believe for a second that you are "new" to the mane, so you know the rules already. ANYTHING can be turned into a pissing match here. that's what the offseason is for. practicing pissing matches so that you're ready when the season starts.

i'm now weary of you. go get your shine box.

Buster Bluth
03-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Sweet christ. You're either not very bright, or you like to have it both ways.

Just as "McD was not the subject" of your post, your punctuation was not the subject of mine. Obama was ALSO not the subject of my initial post that sent you ranting and raving about him being from Kenya.

Sorry, kiddo. You're out of your element. And you continue to piss all over a football thread with your political ideological craziness. Good stuff!

There IS a politics forum. You know that right? I'm new here and I managed to find it in a day. You've got nearly 3,000 posts and don't know about it?

I'll go with "not very bright."

Tombstone RJ
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
where's the popcorn, this gonna be good...

El Minion
03-10-2011, 03:52 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1224023403/desmith_73X73_3_normal.png@DeSmithNFLPA (http://twitter.com/#%21/DeSmithNFLPA) DeMaurice Smith

Players stay strong! Stay informed, update by 2pm tomorrow

1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/DeSmithNFLPA/status/45969019047653376) via Twitter for iPad (http://itunes.apple.com/app/twitter/id333903271?mt=8) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

El Minion
03-10-2011, 03:54 PM
http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1247240165/thedog3_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_PeterKing) @SI_PeterKing (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_PeterKing) Peter King

Just to be clear: NFLPA officials, but not players, met with owners/mediator today ... Jeff Pash: No movement on transparency today.

2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_PeterKing/status/45995213851852800) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

Buster Bluth
03-10-2011, 03:55 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1224023403/desmith_73X73_3_normal.png@DeSmithNFLPA (http://twitter.com/#%21/DeSmithNFLPA) DeMaurice Smith

Players stay strong! Stay informed, update by 2pm tomorrow

1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/DeSmithNFLPA/status/45969019047653376) via Twitter for iPad (http://itunes.apple.com/app/twitter/id333903271?mt=8) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

Man, I'd love for this whole thing to be over by the time the draft rolls around next month.

Gort
03-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Sweet christ. You're either not very bright, or you like to have it both ways.

Just as "McD was not the subject" of your post, your punctuation was not the subject of mine. Obama was ALSO not the subject of my initial post that sent you ranting and raving about him being from Kenya.

Sorry, kiddo. You're out of your element. And you continue to piss all over a football thread with your political ideological craziness. Good stuff!

There IS a politics forum. You know that right? I'm new here and I managed to find it in a day. You've got nearly 3,000 posts and don't know about it?

I'll go with "not very bright."

if you think that was ranting and raving, then i don't believe you've spent any time in the WRP forum. i could give you the usernames of a dozen OM'ers i have on ignore who could teach a course on political ranting and raving on forums.

but, whatever floats your boat. i don't much care who you are or what you think. clearly you and i don't see eye to eye on this whole internet thing.

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/members/1337w422102-albums-messed-up+joe+pictures-picture3367-breaker-finds-out-internet-indeed-quite-some-serious-business.jpg

El Minion
03-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Not helping, from NFLPA Assistant Executive Director of External Affairs:
-------------------
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/1094669980/George_Atallah_Headshot_normal.jpg (http://twitter.com/#%21/GeorgeAtallah) @GeorgeAtallah (http://twitter.com/#%21/GeorgeAtallah) George Atallah

I would like to request an expense credit from the owners on the last 3 hours of my life.

13 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/GeorgeAtallah/status/45997016236572672) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

Man, I'd love for this whole thing to be over by the time the draft rolls around next month.

Not looking likely:
-------------------
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) @AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Deadlines can change minds. But NFLPA is poisted to decertify Friday. One person tonight: "Get ready for this to blow up tomorrow."

8 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter/status/45998793572888576) via web Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

schaaf
03-10-2011, 05:25 PM
**** me.

NUB
03-10-2011, 06:03 PM
*Sad trombone*

El Minion
03-10-2011, 06:04 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/407984660/schefter4_normal.JPG
AdamSchefter (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter) Adam Schefter

Wow RT @ProFootballMgmt (http://twitter.com/ProFootballMgmt): @gregaiello (http://twitter.com/gregaiello) You can take your 150 pages of CBA revisions and shove em! Can you say treble damages, Doty is waiting!

31 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/AdamSchefter/status/46020085235720193) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

末末末末末末末末末

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1247240165/thedog3_normal.jpg
SI_PeterKing (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_PeterKing) Peter King
RT @HowardFendrich (http://twitter.com/HowardFendrich): "... a $4 billion ticket to a game they knew wouldn't be played. The only thing they've been committed to is a lockout."

1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_PeterKing/status/46009543834091522) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1247240165/thedog3_normal.jpg
SI_PeterKing (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_PeterKing) Peter King
RT @HowardFendrich (http://twitter.com/HowardFendrich): Union's George Atallah in e-mail to AP: "Jeff Pash was part of an executive team that sold the networks ..."

1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/SI_PeterKing/status/46009478407143424) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)
末末末末末末末末末

http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/303785220/La_Canfora_newtwitter_normal.jpg
JasonLaCanfora (http://twitter.com/#%21/JasonLaCanfora) Jason La Canfora

DeMaurice Smith gave an impromtu press conference, too umbrage with Jeff Pash's comments regarding commitment to negotiate.

1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/#%21/JasonLaCanfora/status/46006889452011520) Favorite (http://twitter.com/#) Retweet (http://twitter.com/#) Reply (http://twitter.com/#)

末末末末末末末末末

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/628853830/theredzonetwitterpage_normal.gif
TheRedzoneorg (http://twitter.com/#%21/TheRedzoneorg) The Redzone
Jeff Pash: 'I don't know if both sides have an equal commitment' http://tinyurl.com/4syzsuv #NFL (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NFL) #NFLPA (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NFLPA)

El Minion
03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
As clock ticks, NFL and union trade shots (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/03/as_clock_ticks.html)

E-mail (javascript:void(0)) | Print (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/03/as_clock_ticks.html?camp=localsearch:on:twit:pats# ) | Comments () (http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/03/as_clock_ticks.html?comments=all#comments) Posted by Greg A. Bedard March 10, 2011 08:26 PM

WASHINGTON Well, this isn稚 exactly what you want to see about 24 hours from the deadline to reach a new collective bargaining agreement: a verbal slap fight between the National Football League and the players union.
But that痴 exactly what just went down.
To recap:

Nine NFL owners were in town for the first time since last Wednesday and the players didn稚 get to meet with them. They didn稚 like that.

Not only that, but while the NFL owners were holed up all afternoon either among themselves or with mediator George Cohen, the union was told they値l be called to come back around 5 p.m. No call was made, so they, including executive director DeMaurice Smith, left for home about 6:30 p.m.

They didn稚 like that either. 展e had players, executive committee members here, or entire negotiating team has been here all day as we have for the past two years and we are still hopeful that there痴 some positive activity (last night), said George Atallah, the NFLPA assistant executive director of external affairs. 釘ut we can no longer keep our players, that have been ready for two years to get positive movement, in a holding pattern.

A little bit later, lead NFL negotiator Jeff Pash talks to the media and basically accuses the union of not wanting to negotiate. 的致e said it many times, if both sides have an equal commitment to getting this deal done, it will get done, Pash said. 的 don稚 know if both sides have an equal commitment. You致e heard plenty of what I致e heard as well. If that痴 the case, if both sides have that commitment, there痴 a deal to be madeObviously we have the commitment. No question about it.

Was he saying the union wasn稚 interested in bargaining? 的知 not suggesting anything about the other side, Pash said. 的知 saying if there痴 an equal commitment on both sides, there痴 a deal to be made.

Um, ok.

You can figure out how that went down with the union and in case you needed to know they were furious, Smith all of a sudden reappeared in front of the mediator痴 office to rebut Pash.

徹bviously we saw Jeff Pash痴 comments a few moments ago and instead of driving home (I decided to talk address) the commitment of our players to this process....We had staff meetings with non-owners of the National Football League. Our players stood around and waited until 6 o団lock. The owners left and we were told to come back at 10 a.m. (tomorrow). We池e committed to this process. We have been committed to this process. But for anyone to stand and turn to the American people and question thatLook, I understand that there痴 probably some things Jeff Pash just has to say. But this is the truth. We know that as early as March of 2009 from the discovery in the television case that the National Football League engaged in a strategy to get $4 billion of television money to lockout our fans and lockout our players even if the games weren稚 played.(The court decision) talks about how they were going to go about securing television money and I quote, 吐or cash during a lockout. So with all due respect, when someone wants to stand up and say that he questions or doubts one parties commitment to the negotiation process, all I would ask is for all of youto stick to the facts and take the document. We池e going to be back here tomorrow because we want football to continue.

Um, that痴 not good.

The back and forth continued on Twitter between Atallah and league spokesman Greg Aiello.

Atallah: 的 would like to request an expense credit from the owners on the last 3 hours of my life.

Aiello: 展hile George is at it, ask him when is union going to respond to our 150 pages of draft CBA provisions.

And with that, the NFL is a little more than 24 hours from the CBA expiring. Tomorrow should be interesting.

Buster Bluth
03-11-2011, 05:19 AM
*Sad trombone*

second.

Cito Pelon
03-11-2011, 07:11 AM
Back to bickering I see (both posters and the NFL/NFLPA).

bendog
03-11-2011, 11:10 AM
Maybe bowlen should refund the tax dollars that went to the diaphram since w/o the new stadiums this **** wouldn't be happening

baja
03-11-2011, 11:23 AM
Maybe bowlen should refund the tax dollars that went to the diaphram since w/o the new stadiums this **** wouldn't be happening

True we would be known as the LA Broncos

bendog
03-11-2011, 12:27 PM
BS. Bowlen made a billiion dollars having this team in Den. You think the broncos need a born rich canadian lawyer. too funny

baja
03-11-2011, 12:31 PM
BS. Bowlen made a billiion dollars having this team in Den. You think the broncos need a born rich canadian lawyer. too funny

Hey wet brain, Bowlen said he would have to seriously consider moving the Broncos to a bigger market if he did not get a new stadium. Was that posturing? I don't know but he said it.

bendog
03-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Baja, you poor demented fool, bowlen said he would sell the team w/o a new stadium. He needed the stadium because the newer stadiums generated more unshared revenue (e.g. club seats and lux boxes). W/o a new stadium he couldn't afford to defer money (and thereby legally circumvent cap rules). That's why they built the new stadiums.

That's why is somewhat ironic that the broncos had one of the five lowest payrolls last year.

baja
03-11-2011, 01:14 PM
Baja, you poor demented fool, bowlen said he would sell the team w/o a new stadium. He needed the stadium because the newer stadiums generated more unshared revenue (e.g. club seats and lux boxes). W/o a new stadium he couldn't afford to defer money (and thereby legally circumvent cap rules). That's why they built the new stadiums.

That's why is somewhat ironic that the broncos had one of the five lowest payrolls last year.

I think that is what I said. No stadium / might sell

bendog
03-11-2011, 01:25 PM
you said LA broncos, but don't let facts get in your way, you never have before.

Look, no one could say the NFLPA is blameless, but the entire disagreement is over stadium revenue. New stadiums to let owners circumvent cap more (Bowlen) or rip off more from fans (Snyder). There's not enough revenue to pay the players their old share and still pay the construction bonds and pay for owners w/o shiny new stadiums to buy shiny new stadiums.

The owners broke the shared revenue model, and they want the players and us to fix it.