PDA

View Full Version : NFL.com ranks epic fails by the Raiders

FantomForce
03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Raiders fans once again reasons YOU SUCK! This goes out to all the trolls, yep NFL ranked the biggest NFL busts to ever put on a Faider Jersey http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/03/pick-six-raiders-all-time-draft-busts/?module=HP_spotlight

BroncoSojia
03-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Should we really be dissing other teams about their drafting?

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2011, 10:43 AM
i want to laugh, but every team has that hit and miss ratio in the draft.

hell the Broncos went almost a decade without hitting on a 1st round pick at one point under Shanahan

TheReverend
03-07-2011, 10:54 AM

hell the Broncos went almost a decade without hitting on a 1st round pick at one point under Shanahan

What?

First round selections under Mike:

Mobley
Pryce
Nash
Wilson
O'Neil
Middlebrooks
Lelie
Foster
DJ Williams
Cutler
Moss
Clady

There are 5-6 "busts" in that crop (depending on if you view O'Neil--multi pro bowler and multi all pro, who also returned compensation via trade when shipped out of Denver--as a bust).

There are 3 players who have been the BEST at their position in the NFL (Pryce, Wilson and Clady)

There's another in Cutler who netted a massive ROI (1st round pick and a fifth to 2 firsts a third and a player)

So, please show me where "the Broncos went almost a decade without hitting on a 1st round pick at one point under Shanahan".

Beantown Bronco
03-07-2011, 11:16 AM
And I wouldn't even call Lelie a bust considering, in 2004, he had 1084 yds receiving and 7 TDs....and a three year period where he averaged over 800 yds per season for us. That's not a bust IMO.

TheReverend
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM
And I wouldn't even call Lelie a bust considering, in 2004, he had 1084 yds receiving and 7 TDs....and a three year period where he averaged over 800 yds per season for us. That's not a bust IMO.

Foster also was an integral part of a unit that had over 2500 yards rushing at 4.7 ypc and only surrendered 23 sacks, AND netted compensation when it was time to move on.

Kaylore
03-07-2011, 11:22 AM

But EDDDDDDD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
What?

Mobley
Pryce
Nash
Wilson
O'Neil
Middlebrooks
Lelie
Foster
DJ Williams
Cutler
Moss
Clady

There are 5-6 "busts" in that crop (depending on if you view O'Neil--multi pro bowler and multi all pro, who also returned compensation via trade when shipped out of Denver--as a bust).

There are 3 players who have been the BEST at their position in the NFL (Pryce, Wilson and Clady)

There's another in Cutler who netted a massive ROI (1st round pick and a fifth to 2 firsts a third and a player)

So, please show me where "the Broncos went almost a decade without hitting on a 1st round pick at one point under Shanahan".

Pryce was good, but he was never the best DE in the game at any point in his career. I loved Al Wilson, but again, very good never the best at his position.
Clady is still early in the career. (1 great season, 1 ok season transitioning to new style of play, and 1 bad season) at what point has he been the best at his position?

O'Neal had 1 really awesome season for Denver. and BTW Denver got ass raped hard in that trade with Cincinatti. we had the 24th pick in that draft and then traded 24, O'neal and a 4th round pick to move up to 17. If he was honestly that good, we should have gotten a lot more in return for him, 24 and 117 that year, than just moving up 7 slots. Also, he went to the pro bowl that year on the strength of 2 games.

Lelie was trash. 1 good year and was only ever actually half way decent at 1 thing and that was going deep. ****ty route runner, ****ty blocker and BTW we could have had Ed Reed.

DJ has never lived up to being a 1st round pick. it might be from being constantly moved in his positions, but he has never been a huge hit.

we raped the Bears in the CUtler trade, but honestly, he did absolutely nothing for us, and only won this year in Chicago because of Peppers. Also, his career record is still beloew .500

I will give you Mobley, Pryce and Wilson as good players for us that were worth the 1st round selection. the rest while in Denver were never worth the investment.

Beantown Bronco
03-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Foster also was an integral part of a unit that had over 2500 yards rushing at 4.7 ypc and only surrendered 23 sacks, AND netted compensation when it was time to move on.

Agreed. "Bust" is more than a little strong in his case too.

Nash, Middlebrooks and Moss are clearly the only "non-debatables" on that list.

Kaylore
03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
OK You just threw all credibility out the window. Just because he played on a good unit doesn't mean he wasn't a complete failure. I always find those "part of a <insert unit>" stats are only worth discussing when adding to personal accolades. The fact is he had one decent season and was a colossal failure. Not even average. The only reason they drafted him was because Shanahan was caught with his pants down and panicked. The only reason he stayed on the team was Shanny hiding his embarrassment, which is the only reason he stayed on the Lions as long as he did.

And the "netted value in a trade" is hilarious. Just because other GM's are incompetent doesn't mean a players is any good and doesn't redeem a bad draft.

By this logic, Lawrence Maroney is a great player because he was "part of a record setting offense!" and "Netted value in a trade!!!"

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2011, 11:27 AM
What?

Mobley
Pryce
Nash
Wilson
O'Neil
Middlebrooks
Lelie
Foster
DJ Williams
Cutler
Moss
Clady

i never said they were busts. i am just saying that the majority of them were not worth the pick. Nash, Middlebrooks, Foster and Moss for sure.

but with what they did for the team were they truly worth 1st round picks?

bowtown
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Pryce was good, but he was never the best DE in the game at any point in his career. I loved Al Wilson, but again, very good never the best at his position.
Clady is still early in the career. (1 great season, 1 ok season transitioning to new style of play, and 1 bad season) at what point has he been the best at his position?

O'Neal had 1 really awesome season for Denver. and BTW Denver got ass raped hard in that trade with Cincinatti. we had the 24th pick in that draft and then traded 24, O'neal and a 4th round pick to move up to 17. If he was honestly that good, we should have gotten a lot more in return for him, 24 and 117 that year, than just moving up 7 slots. Also, he went to the pro bowl that year on the strength of 2 games.

Lelie was trash. 1 good year and was only ever actually half way decent at 1 thing and that was going deep. ****ty route runner, ****ty blocker and BTW we could have had Ed Reed.

DJ has never lived up to being a 1st round pick. it might be from being constantly moved in his positions, but he has never been a huge hit.

we raped the Bears in the CUtler trade, but honestly, he did absolutely nothing for us, and only won this year in Chicago because of Peppers. Also, his career record is still beloew .500

I will give you Mobley, Pryce and Wilson as good players for us that were worth the 1st round selection. the rest while in Denver were never worth the investment.

Worst. Post. Ever.

What is it about people on this board who refuse to back down from the dumbest arguments ever, even after they have been absolutely obliterated?

TheReverend
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM

I'd like to nominate this post for most ignorant diatribe of 2011.

You immediately kick things off with reference to Trevor Pryce... only as a DE. Are you 15? You remember he was a dominant DT before switching to DE right? To the tune of 2 all pros? In 1999, he was absolutely dominant. 13 sacks as a DT in only 15 games against double teams and still being stout against the run.

The rest of your post doesn't improve either. I'm not sure whether to laugh at you, or cry with you for humanity's sake.

TheReverend
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
OK You just threw all credibility out the window. Just because he played on a good unit doesn't mean he wasn't a complete failure. I always find those "part of a <insert unit>" stats are only worth discussing when adding to personal accolades. The fact is he had one decent season and was a colossal failure. Not even average. The only reason they drafted him was because Shanahan was caught with his pants down and panicked. The only reason he stayed on the team was Shanny hiding his embarrassment, which is the only reason he stayed on the Lions as long as he did.

And the "netted value in a trade" is hilarious. Just because other GM's are incompetent doesn't mean a players is any good and doesn't redeem a bad draft.

By this logic, Lawrence Maroney is a great player because he was "part of a record setting offense!" and "Netted value in a trade!!!"

I called him a bust, actually. Good job recognizing that (hopefully the sarcasm comes off as thick as intended)

As for the rest of your post, he absolutely wasn't a complete failure in 2005. We had many successful OT runs to his side, and the closest thing to a starting TE we had that season was Jeb Putzier, not exactly reknowned for his blocking...

And ROI should absolutely be taken into consideration when evaluating a players overall impact. It'd be downright stupid not to.

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Worst. Post. Ever.

What is it about people on this board who refuse to back down from the dumbest arguments ever, even after they have been absolutely obliterated?

so you are saying Lelie, O'Neal, Cutler, Foster, Middlebrooks, Nash, Moss and DJ are worth the 1st round selection used to get them?

i am simply pointing out that our return on investment on the field wasn't worth the 1st round selection used on them. with what they have shown in their careers, it can easily be said we would have been better served going in another direction with the picks.

i don't give a rats ass, what we got in return for them in trades. another dumbass GM mistake does not suddenly make a great player. by that logic the Pats raping us with Maroney made him a good pick because he netted them a pick.

Missouribronc
03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Why do people insist that every first round pick has to be a 10-time All-Pro player to be considered not a bust?

Granted, there were some bad picks, but come on...

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I'd like to nominate this post for most ignorant diatribe of 2011.

You immediately kick things off with reference to Trevor Pryce... only as a DE. Are you 15? You remember he was a dominant DT before switching to DE right? To the tune of 2 all pros? In 1999, he was absolutely dominant. 13 sacks as a DT in only 15 games against double teams and still being stout against the run.

The rest of your post doesn't improve either. I'm not sure whether to laugh at you, or cry with you for humanity's sake.

i remember Pryce moving all across the line, and what i am saying is, his versatility prevented him from becoming known as a great DE, a great pass rusher, a great DT. the fact that he was good at so many positions, prevents him from being called a great, because he was never in 1 position long enough to become known as the best at that position. also, you are talking like i came out and said the guy was trash. i said he was a very good player, but he was never the best at his position.

broncocalijohn
03-07-2011, 11:42 AM

I know you don't agree but Foster sucked and was a complete bust. A project that never worked. We won't agree but most agree with me.

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
Why do people insist that every first round pick has to be a 10-time All-Pro player to be considered not a bust?

Granted, there were some bad picks, but come on...

i'm not calling bust on all these guys(with the exception of Moss, Nash, Middlebrooks and FOster) i am just saying the majority of them were not worth the 1st round pick used to get them. especially when you throw into consideration players that were picked almost immediately after

Missouribronc
03-07-2011, 11:47 AM
i'm not calling bust on all these guys(with the exception of Moss, Nash, Middlebrooks and FOster) i am just saying the majority of them were not worth the 1st round pick used to get them. especially when you throw into consideration players that were picked almost immediately after

And what exactly is a first-round pick worth?

bowtown
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
so you are saying Lelie, O'Neal, Cutler, Foster, Middlebrooks, Nash, Moss and DJ are worth the 1st round selection used to get them?

i am simply pointing out that our return on investment on the field wasn't worth the 1st round selection used on them. with what they have shown in their careers, it can easily be said we would have been better served going in another direction with the picks.

i don't give a rats ass, what we got in return for them in trades. another dumbass GM mistake does not suddenly make a great player. by that logic the Pats raping us with Maroney made him a good pick because he netted them a pick.

Yes, I'm saying that Cutler and DJ were both worth 1st round picks any way you want to look at it. Cutler would have pulled multiple 1sts from other teams. Don't pretend like we pulled a real fast one over on the bears. He would still be worth at least one 1st if they traded him today (I feel so dirty saying that). DJ has been very solid. With the number of 1sts that bust or under preform, you have to count a solid pro like DJ as a win. So you are left with 5 of 12 draft picks that we really didn't hit on. That's hardly almost a decade. Just admit that you didn't fully think out what you were typing, and probably would have used differnt language, instead of trying to stick to your guns on this.

jhns
03-07-2011, 11:50 AM
McDaniels has ****ed Bronco fans up so much that we can't even make fun of the raiders anymore. Most just focus on hating the Broncos now.... That is quite an accomplishment Mr. McDaniels.

Missouribronc
03-07-2011, 11:51 AM
McDaniels has ****ed Bronco fans up so much that we can't even make fun of the raiders anymore. Most just focus on hating the Broncos now.... That is quite an accomplishment Mr. McDaniels.

Seriously?

The picks we're discussing were all made by Shanahan.

Wow.

Beantown Bronco
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM

Ummmm, what?

Cutler cost us a first rounder and we got 2 first rounders, a starting QB and a third rounder in exchange.

Maroney cost the Pats a first rounder and they only got, what, a 6th rounder in exchange?

How are the two situations even remotely comparable?

jhns
03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Seriously?

Wow.

How does that change what I said? I guess this is what we should expect from a Missouri education.

BroncoMan4ever
03-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes, I'm saying that Cutler and DJ were both worth 1st round picks any way you want to look at it. Cutler would have pulled multiple 1sts from other teams. Don't pretend like we pulled a real fast one over on the bears. He would still be worth at least one 1st if they traded him today (I feel so dirty saying that). DJ has been very solid. With the number of 1sts that bust or under preform, you have to count a solid pro like DJ as a win. So you are left with 5 of 12 draft picks that we really didn't hit on. That's hardly almost a decade. Just admit that you didn't fully think out what you were typing, and probably would have used differnt language, instead of trying to stick to your guns on this.

i understand your stance on DJ and agree. i am just constantly underwhelmed with the guy. as much natural ability as he has, he should be a great LB, but he is always just solid, serviceable, and disappointing on what he could be. that is a reason that I am never going to be a big fan of his. his output on the field is nowhere near where it should be. but you are correct, in looking at the list of guys drafted in the 1st who aren't even in the league anymore i will acquiesce that i was hasty and not fully thought out in my own personal views on the guy having him not being worth the pick.

I can't change my mind on Cutler. his athletic talents are quite possibly some of the greatest the NFL has seen at the QB position, but his brain, attitude, lack of heart, poor leadership, ****ty mechanics, all weigh his talents down. i can't call a career sub .500 QB worthy of a 1st round pick.

now your point on that i should have thought out my original post a little more before throwing it out there is correct. to say a full decade without a worthy 1st round pick was a bit ignorant on my part. had i thought it out a little better, i would have probably gone more towards the argument that Mike's overall drafting record was weak

TDmvp
03-07-2011, 12:06 PM

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/8403/71313cy6ylj0a.gif

jhns
03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Seriously?

Wow.

Your neg reps are as dumb as your reply. They also highlight exatly what I was saying. Shanahans draft picks are not the topic of this thread. The raiders draft picks are the topic....

You need to learn to read.

bendog
03-07-2011, 12:27 PM

How do you call a guy a bust when he had a longer than average career in the NFL? He wasn't as good as a no1 should be, but in no way was his career a bust.

bendog
03-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Your neg reps are as dumb as your reply. They also highlight exatly what I was saying. Shanahans draft picks are not the topic of this thread. The raiders draft picks are the topic....

You need to learn to read.

True, but how can the link be credible w/o listing the DT russell. G. Foster was not as high a pick, but Gallery's career is not dissimilar. He's a decent OG but he got paid to be an all pro LT.

gunns
03-07-2011, 12:38 PM

Thank you, the rationalizations were getting nauseating.

schaaf
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
mmmm... I just burnt my tongue

bendog
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm trying to remember the guy A$ D$v$s drafted, but he died and the faide tried to get out of paying the widow the bonus money. Anybody remember?

jhns
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
True, but how can the link be credible w/o listing the DT russell.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that didn't make the list. To be fair to the writer, he was trying to only list 6 bad first round picks by the raiders. That is a pretty big challenge.

Ugly Duck
03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Raiders try every draft strategy there is & bust. They go with the consensus can't-miss OT (Gallery) & get a so-so guard. They roll the dice & get a slob (Jabbarcus) who takes the money & shows up drank to work. They make a head-scratching WTF? pick (DHB) & get a head-scratching WTF? player. Taking that into account, I'm happy the Seymour trade was made for this year's 1st. We get a top player & don't have to suffer the embarrassment of busting yet again.

TDmvp
03-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm trying to remember the guy A$ D$v$s drafted, but he died and the faide tried to get out of paying the widow the bonus money. Anybody remember?

Leon Bender maybe ? ... Only one I can come up with.

bendog
03-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I don't think you can call a qb who played ten seasons and passed for over 14000 yds a bust. Wierd list. Not to diss the thread, it'd have been a good offseason chat but for the shanny haters who had to crawl out.

Anthony Smith had a four of five year career, but he's currently charged with murder. I think you gotta mention that one.

Bob Buczkowski, great name, bust. Scott Davis.

Even Neal Colzie. We regularly laughed at him for being in the same draft as Louis Wright. And the faide drafted a qb named Eldridge Dickey in first rd, and in the second of the same draft took Stabler. Wierd.

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Can some please define what a "bust" and "not a bust" is first before we make this into a hall of fame thread.

vancejohnson82
03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
wow....there have been some reallly head scratching posts put up in this thread

someone actually pegged Trevor Pryce as just a decent DT and in the same post said Al Wilson was a run of the mill MLB

then we have JHNS who comes in, doesnt say a word about the picks but throws in his normal McDaniels rant, saying that people now love to hate the Broncos because of a former coach

can we somehow merge this with the Hillis thread

WolfpackGuy
03-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Can some please define what a "bust" and "not a bust" is first before we make this into a hall of fame thread.

Christina Hendricks - "bust"

Keira Knightly - "not a bust"

;D

FireFly
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Players don't need to be the "best in the league" to warrant 1st round selection!

Shanny was pretty close to 50% I'd say.

I'd also say that the more successful teams hit at closer to 75% for at least a few years before they become considered "successful teams".

FireFly
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
To the point of the thread, the raiders have made some terrible picks - but there have been a few unlucky ones (Gallery and Russel come to mind) as well as a few good ones.

We haven't been that much better ourselves.

Missouribronc
03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Players don't need to be the "best in the league" to warrant 1st round selection!

Shanny was pretty close to 50% I'd say.

I'd also say that the more successful teams hit at closer to 75% for at least a few years before they become considered "successful teams".

Great point.

I see ridiculous expectations put on first round picks (most recently Knowshon Moreno), where if they aren't the best player at their position in the league they are complete busts.

Likewise...has Denver drafted well in the last 15 years...no, probably on the average line, but they are FAR from being the worst team in the league in drafting. You can't throw out a list of players drafted by the Broncos and make a sweeping assumption that Shanahan was a terrible drafter, without analyzing the hits/misses of other teams and doing a comparison.

Certainly Denver could have drafted better, but not to the point where he was picking the single All-Pro in the late 20s every single year. Its simply not possible.

22 teams passed on Ed Reed. 22. And there were much worse picks in those 22 than Ashlie Lelie. Much worse.

broncos-rock
03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Raiders Defense - TM - Raiders
Raiders named Chuck Bresnahan as defensive coordinator.
Bresnahan, 50, was initially tabbed as a "defensive assistant," but the oddball Raiders waited until now to announce him as coordinator. Bresnahan was also a defensive coordinator in Cincinnati in the mid-2000s, overseeing units that ranked 28th, 30th, and 25th in total defense before he was fired in 2007. He was out of football in 2008 and spent the last two years in the UFL. We're having a hard time getting excited about him.
Related: Bengals

I think this is their next epic fail!

UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
03-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Christina Hendricks - "bust"

Keira Knightly - "not a bust"

;D

First of all, HOW DARE YOU!!!. Keira Knightly suffered through those bee stings. Thank God someone had an Epi-pen to save her life. Haha.

jhns
03-08-2011, 06:30 AM
wow....there have been some reallly head scratching posts put up in this thread

someone actually pegged Trevor Pryce as just a decent DT and in the same post said Al Wilson was a run of the mill MLB

then we have JHNS who comes in, doesnt say a word about the picks but throws in his normal McDaniels rant, saying that people now love to hate the Broncos because of a former coach

can we somehow merge this with the Hillis thread

I have more on topic posts in this thread than all but two posters. I have more than you.

Anyways, I just stated a fact. Before McDaniels, this fan base loved to make fun of the raiders. Post McDaniels, this fan base gets lobbed a softball to make fun of the raiders and instead goes into a woe is me act....

McDaniels ruined everything.

jhns
03-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Now to deal with all of you Bronco haters. First, this article is about the raiders all time draft mistakes, not just recent drafting. Then there is the little fact that if we are talking aboit recent success, you still look retarded comparing this team to them. They have been picking in the top 10, with multiple picks in the top 5. We were picking in the bottom half of the draft and still have were better at drafting than them. Don't let reality or facts get in the way of your hate for this organization though.

Missouribronc
03-08-2011, 07:32 AM
You just confirmed to us that you're a new fan.

People were complaining about Shanahan's drafting LONG before McDaniels arrived in town...

jhns
03-08-2011, 07:35 AM
You just confirmed to us that you're a new fan.

People were complaining about Shanahan's drafting LONG before McDaniels arrived in town...

I didn't claim they didn't. That Missouri education is really failing you.

bendog
03-08-2011, 08:26 AM
I looked through the Oakland drafts through the years, and the thing is that it's just so much fun to ridicule crazy Alzhiemer. But what struck me was that in the years from the merger to the mid 70s, they drafted three HOFers plus guys like Tatum, Lester Hayes, van Ehegen, Ray Guy, Cliff Branch, Dave Dalby, Raymond Chester, Toms and Stabler. That is freaking amazingly good personnel selection.

Then, there's a little hiccup for about five years, and then starting in the 80s they draft a HOF in consecutive years, and add Charles Woodson and Tim Brown to boot. It's damn solid up until about 2000, when the wheels fall off. Sure there's the Marinovich thing and some lame picks but every team has those. But it wasn't an epic McD fail until A$ really lost it. Sorta sad in a way. He's certainly been better for us fans than guys like Jerry Jones and Snyder.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/draft.htm

jhns
03-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I looked through the Oakland drafts through the years, and the thing is that it's just so much fun to ridicule crazy Alzhiemer. But what struck me was that in the years from the merger to the mid 70s, they drafted three HOFers plus guys like Tatum, Lester Hayes, van Ehegen, Ray Guy, Cliff Branch, Dave Dalby, Raymond Chester, Toms and Stabler. That is freaking amazingly good personnel selection.

Then, there's a little hiccup for about five years, and then starting in the 80s they draft a HOF in consecutive years, and add Charles Woodson and Tim Brown to boot. It's damn solid up until about 2000, when the wheels fall off. Sure there's the Marinovich thing and some lame picks but every team has those. But it wasn't an epic McD fail until A$ really lost it. Sorta sad in a way. He's certainly been better for us fans than guys like Jerry Jones and Snyder.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/draft.htm

That list does get pretty sad after 2000. They have used so many top 10 picks and gotten so little talent. What I find the funniest is the lowest pick they have had since that time is the best pick they have made. This isn't counting this past year though. They had a good draft last year IMO. It is still early though, that draft can still prove to be as bad as the rest.

Abqbronco
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM

I'll make fun of them. At least one of them... Best part of the article, "But Marinovich, who was groomed to play football from the womb, never really seemed to fit into being a professional football player and instead focused on other interests." Hilarious!