PDA

View Full Version : Bannan and Williams out the door

schaaf
03-03-2011, 01:37 PM
We just released Bannan and Williams

Kaylore
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Surprised about Bannan. Not Williams, though. We weren't getting our return on investment.

Archer81
03-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Hello Dareus. Welcome to Denver.

:Broncos:

Beantown Bronco
03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Damn. Not much of a vet presence left along the line to work with all the new rooks they're sure to bring in....

tsiguy96
zero chance they dont take best DT available now. just lost the two starters.

schaaf
Bannan really surprised me

meangene
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow! Bannan is a shocker to me. Let's see... who do we have at DT? Well, there's... Guess we are looking at Dareus or Fairley.

tsiguy96
03-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Williams was due $1 mil bonus on third day of league year and $4.2 mil salary. Bannan was due $500,000 bonus on 5th day and $3.5 mil salary.

per mikeklis

i dont like cutting bannan, low salary and roster bonus. several denver reporters said they are cutting guys to save cash now.

ND Bronco Fan
03-03-2011, 01:42 PM
15 Million wiped off the books in last 24 hours.

bombay
03-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Surely they'll try to get Bannon back at a reduced rate? Even if he did electocute a hamster with his roommate.

Killericon
03-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Cue signing Tommie Harris.

ND Bronco Fan
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Vickerson hopefully gets resigned and Marcus Thomas depending on the labor situation with a rookie or two would still be good.

Rohirrim
03-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Bannan? That sux. :oyvey:

MABroncoFan
03-03-2011, 01:47 PM
Very surprised about Bannan. What was he due to make next year? Maybe they didn't think he'd be as good a fit for the 4-3. With Thomas, Vickerson, Fields, and I think McBean all FAs, do we have a single DT on the roster at this point?

Beantown Bronco
Vickerson hopefully gets resigned and Marcus Thomas depending on the labor situation with a rookie or two would still be good.

Good?!? Ummmm, what!? If they went into the season with only Vickerson, Thomas and a rookie or two at DT, they would be BY FAR the worst DT unit in the entire league on paper.

Smiling Assassin27
Williams was due $1 mil bonus on third day of league year and $4.2 mil salary. Bannan was due $500,000 bonus on 5th day and $3.5 mil salary.

per mikeklis

i dont like cutting bannan, low salary and roster bonus. several denver reporters said they are cutting guys to save cash now.

maybe they do what gb did with hawk--cut and re-sign at a better cap number.

illbroncsfn
03-03-2011, 01:49 PM
- just like everyone else i'm surprised bannan was shown the door- always was classy last year.

BroncoInferno
03-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Surprised about Bannan, they must not think he is a good fit for the new scheme. Williams is pretty much washed up. That said, between these two moves and Thomas' contract situation being in doubt, I think it's pretty much a slam dunk that we are drafting either Dareus or Fairley. We've got as good as nothing at the DT spot right now.

broncosteven
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Surprised about Bannan. Not Williams, though. We weren't getting our return on investment.

Bannan was the best mCd pickup on the D side Surprised about him, I thought he could have played DE in the 4-3.

baja
03-03-2011, 01:51 PM
he'll be resigned I bet

ND Bronco Fan
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Good?!? Ummmm, what!? If they went into the season with only Vickerson, Thomas and a rookie or two at DT, they would be BY FAR the worst DT unit in the entire league on paper.

Yeah, sarcasm

HooptyHoops
03-03-2011, 01:59 PM
I think we definitely need to keep Thomas.....Vickerson could also be good, as he had a nice year last year....but, to cut Bannan, it just doesn't make sense, as he is a productive DL-very odd, I wonder what's up. Williams is done.

Kaylore
03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Bannan was the best mCd pickup on the D side Surprised about him, I thought he could have played DE in the 4-3.

Me too. We'll see. This is room we needed to clear somehow, so this might be a good thing.

bombay
03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Like to see them get Dareus and one of the Big 10 linemen - Corey Liugit or Ironhead's kid.

bronco_diesel
03-03-2011, 02:07 PM
This makes me wonder if there is a realistic shot at trading down at the #2 and in turn load up on DL...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Do we have ANY DT's currently under contract?

schaaf
03-03-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm surprised Dawkins is still around

2KBack
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Do we have ANY DT's currently under contract?

Are Fields and McBean still around?

lostknight
03-03-2011, 02:15 PM
I trust John Fox on this. Thank you Josh McDaniels.

gyldenlove
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Vickerson is underrated, welcome to Denver Dareus or Fairley, hope you get comfy.

Probably means a DT in the 2nd or 3rd round as well, I am looking at Liuget, Paea or Austin or maybe a Phil Taylor or Jarvis Jenkins.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Atogwe signs with Washington Redskins... :(

elsid13
03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
This is what I expected. I will not be surprised if will see Hill, Dawkins and Goodman shown the door next.

Bigdawg26
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Hello Marcel Dareus and maybe either Marvin Austin, Muhammad Wilkerson, Drake Nevis, Phea, or Hayward in the second round. I'm glad that see we are investing in of the most talented DT's group to ever come out.

Missouribronc
03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Interesting. From useless defensive line to no defensive line.

RunSilentRunDeep
03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Just making room for the Jenkins brothers.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
Well its weird, but im hardly crying over this

Inkana7
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Welp I guess this points to drafting at least one DT high!

Pick Six
Bannan would make quality depth. As other have said, I wouldn't be surprised to see him re-signed...

eddie mac
Are Fields and McBean still around?

Both are free agents. If the league started tomorrow, Denver would have no defensive tackles under contract bar players on futures deals and off course the tendered Thomas and Vickerson.

That's what you call an overhaul.

Inkana7
03-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Atogwe signs with Washington Redskins... :(

HINT: That probably means its a good thing we passed on him.

Chris
03-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I expect some big FA signings now.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 02:47 PM
HINT: That probably means its a good thing we passed on him.

hahaha you are right my friend

eddie mac
03-03-2011, 02:49 PM
It seems that these 2 had already ate their guaranteed money last season, hence their release.

Denver's free agent defensive line class of 2010 goes in the books as a monumental bust. Bannan, Jamal Williams, and Jarvis Green combined for just 32 games at $17.25 million total.

Bannan originally got $10m guaranteed but it seems that since he only got $7m last year, it's likely that his $3m salary was guaranteed this season if he was on the roster at a certain date.

What a ****ing joke that was eh.

McDaniels I hope you eat **** and die you super****nugget.

Carmelo15
03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Todd McShay said the Broncos are 50-50 between taking Marcel Dareus and Patrick Peterson. After these moves it looks like Dareus is our guy. Unless he goes #1 then we go BPA which is Peterson. Smart in my opinion.

eddie mac
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM

We cant sign anyone after the 24 hour extension until a new CBA is agreed.

Bigdawg26
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Todd McShay said the Broncos are 50-50 between taking Marcel Dareus and Patrick Peterson. After these moves it looks like Dareus is our guy. Unless he goes #1 then we go BPA which is Peterson. Smart in my opinion.

I can live with either one!

RunSilentRunDeep
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM

Todd McShay has no inside information whatsoever. The names make sense, but he's not suddenly wired into the Broncos front office. Now if it was Schefter saying it...

SonOfLe-loLang
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Id be shocked if Dareus goes number 1

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 03:10 PM

Not going to happen. The quick fix isn't happening. Broncos don't have the extra cash to overpay for FA which is what they would have to do to get them.

Broncos team devoid of talent to play next to and that worries players. They are smarter then you think. They understand if the only good corner on the team is Bailey, and the linebackers are poor against the run, and the dline in flux and can't stop the run, then maybe safety not the place for me in denver etc etc.

Once we get a little better then players will start to mark Denver as more then just a place you show interest in to drive your market.

Atogwe a perfect example. He probably didn't seriously consider Denver because either:

a- he knew they wouldn't pay
b- the defense stinks

GoBroncos84
03-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Can't be upset with either of those prospects, but I really hope its Dareus

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Id be shocked if Dareus goes number 1

Wouldn't surprise me really.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Not going to happen. The quick fix isn't happening. Broncos don't have the extra cash to overpay for FA which is what they would have to do to get them.

Broncos team devoid of talent to play next to and that worries players. They are smarter then you think. They understand if the only good corner on the team is Bailey, and the linebackers are poor against the run, and the dline in flux and can't stop the run, then maybe safety not the place for me in denver etc etc.

Once we get a little better then players will start to mark Denver as more then just a place you show interest in to drive your market.

Atogwe a perfect example. He probably didn't seriously consider Denver because either:

b- the defense stinks

If Denver didnt plan to sign FAs at D-tackle, they wouldnt have cut all their D-tackles.

FireFly
03-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Sadly, I'd have to agree with that.

...but then, even if these cuts hadn't happened, it's still probably true.

DenverBrit
03-03-2011, 03:28 PM
They have a plan. 8')

elsid13
03-03-2011, 03:29 PM
They have a plan. 8')

everybody in the nfl has plan, until they get hit in the face.

Broncoman13
03-03-2011, 03:30 PM
We were sitting at like $115m in payroll. These aren't moves to clear money for free agents, these are moves to get down to have enough space to sign the guys they already have, drafted players, and maybe some "no name" free agents. We were left in pretty bad shape by McD and X. I was pretty surprised to see how high our payroll was...sad that we got little return on investment!

TheReverend
03-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Elway better hope this CBA **** gets resolved and we get a solid FA period.

Otherwise this could be ugly lol.

Smiling Assassin27
03-03-2011, 03:32 PM

Tebow can play DT, right?

elsid13
03-03-2011, 03:39 PM

It going to be ugly next no matter what. We have hit rock bottom and need to completely overhaul the team.

Chris
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Our new GM

http://gal.darkervision.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/baldrick.thumbnail.jpg

bombay
03-03-2011, 03:47 PM
As expected, Illinois LBer Martez Wilson kicks ass at the combine.

4.47 40. 27 reps at 225.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-03-2011, 03:50 PM
As expected, Illinois LBer Martez Wilson kicks ass at the combine.

4.47 40. 27 reps at 225.

I watched a lot of film on this guy and i dont really get the fuss. Every so often he makes a great, athletic play, but even in his highlight reels he's kinda around the ball alot (3rd guy in on the tackle kind of thing), but hardly diagnosing plays early and exploding through the hole. I dunno, hope im wrong (well if we select him)

gunns
03-03-2011, 03:52 PM

We've had one of the worst DT units in the entire league for the better part of 10 years. I don't give a ****. Start over and get some guys in there to play. I don't care if it's a bunch of bumblin rookies. That's better than bumblin vets.

TheReverend
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
In retrospect, this makes a good deal of sense, but not just financially.

I've been watching a good portion of John Fox defenses over the past few days, and he rarely incorporates a DT as a NT. He's more of a traditional single gapping LDT, RDT along the DL, even on run downs. The Saints have been pretty similar from what I recall (havent checked yet), so I'm expecting a lot of dual 3 tech fronts.

Thomas and Vickerson both fit this bill, as do Dareus, Fairley, Liuget, Paea (kinda).

We need a thumper at MLB in this case, because the C is coming pretty clean and we should be pretty prone to ISO plays.

I wonder if he did the same thing when he had monstrous Kris Jenkins...

Lestat
03-03-2011, 03:57 PM
hmm somehow i don't think this is relative to who they will draft at #2. i see them staying pat at #2 and taking Bowers or trading down for Peterson.

this has to be for FA. i think they'll load up on DT's in the 2nd & 3rd round but the first round pick i think is DE or DB.

DenverBrit
03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Our new GM

http://gal.darkervision.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/baldrick.thumbnail.jpg

He has a cunning plan. ;D

crosswatt
03-03-2011, 04:04 PM

I've been watching a good portion of John Fox defenses over the past few days, and he rarely incorporates a DT as a NT. He's more of a traditional single gapping LDT, RDT along the DL, even on run downs. The Saints have been pretty similar from what I recall (havent checked yet), so I'm expecting a lot of dual 3 tech fronts.

Thomas and Vickerson both fit this bill, as do Dareus, Fairley, Liuget, Paea (kinda).

We need a thumper at MLB in this case, because the C is coming pretty clean and we should be pretty prone to ISO plays.

I could see Fox bringing Jenkins in for a look. The Jets are releasing him....

oubronco
03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Well we're in line to take Dareus and Taylor or Paea (who has a very quick burst off the line) and if we can get lucky and get Charles Johnson from Carolina our line would be awesome

serious hops
03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Interesting. From useless defensive line to no defensive line.

I LIKE it!

serious hops
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM

They did get another monster DT (Maake Kemoeatu) when Jenkins left, but he ended up getting hurt. I kinda wonder if they went with a smaller line out of necessity rather than preference.

TheReverend
03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
They did get another monster DT (Maake Kemoeatu) when Jenkins left, but he ended up getting hurt. I kinda wonder if they went with a smaller line out of necessity rather than preference.

They played next to each other for a couple years. Man... anyone have the Seattle v Carolina NFCCG on tape? I'd love to see how he used those mammoths. Probably both two gapping from the guards.

WolfpackGuy
03-03-2011, 04:29 PM
Elfoxanders are turrin this team apart.

Bannan getting the axe is surprising.

razorwire77
03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Surprised about Bannan, but purging is all part of the rebuilding process. This is why I've said all along, we are looking at two full drafts, and two full years of free agent signings before this defense is revamped. And that's assuming we hit on our high picks and avoid the injury bug. Honestly, the only players defensively that I really gave two ****s if they returned to this team were Ayers, Champ and Doom. I'm going to trust that Fox knows what he's doing and what players fit his system.

TheReverend
03-03-2011, 04:41 PM
They played next to each other for a couple years. Man... anyone have the Seattle v Carolina NFCCG on tape? I'd love to see how he used those mammoths. Probably both two gapping from the guards.

F me... the NFL.com recap doesn't ****.

Perry1977
03-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Surely they'll try to get Bannon back at a reduced rate? Even if he did electocute a hamster with his roommate.

Hmm. I know his roommate. Going to send a text to see if this is just a wives tale...

strafen
03-03-2011, 05:16 PM
We were sitting at like $115m in payroll. These aren't moves to clear money for free agents, these are moves to get down to have enough space to sign the guys they already have, drafted players, and maybe some "no name" free agents. We were left in pretty bad shape by McD and X. I was pretty surprised to see how high our payroll was...sad that we got little return on investment!If they have a new rookie cap in place, then we'll be ok with signing an overall 2nd pick

OBF1
03-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Why in the world would anyone be suprised or worried??? Our D line would have to have gotten better to suck. Take the trash to the curb and start over.

TheReverend
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Why in the world would anyone be suprised or worried??? Our D line would have to have gotten better to suck. Take the trash to the curb and start over.

The problem is the LBers and 2ndary aren't really any better and the ones that are are old

Traveler
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
At this rate, Xanders might be able to say they get rid of "X" number of players from the previous regime who aren't in the league anymore.

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
I watched a lot of film on this guy and i dont really get the fuss. Every so often he makes a great, athletic play, but even in his highlight reels he's kinda around the ball alot (3rd guy in on the tackle kind of thing), but hardly diagnosing plays early and exploding through the hole. I dunno, hope im wrong (well if we select him)

You don't really know what it means to watch a lot of film.

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 06:48 PM
I don't think anyone on the board good enough to watch film and come up with a draft board that would be even close to a real team. I could be wrong, maybe some of you actually coach college football, are a scout, whatever. But really to watch 50 plays on youtube and think you know a players worth is pretty far fetched.

Scouts are looking for little things. For instance what happens when the play is 1 on 1 with another player. They don't care much about the film that shows 3 players, a pile up, and the guy is just sort of there doing a normal job.

Some people were saying the safety from UCLA had bad tape vs Temple in 2009 so they think we should pass on him. I saw troy P get burnt lots of times at USC. It wasn't those plays you remember though, it was the big ones he made.

Defenders will get burnt, they will give up plays. It's more how they will match up against NFL players. In the NFL college strategies that work often out the door. It becomes a lot more about beating the guy in front of you. In college there may be some scrubs you don't have to worry about. It leaves talented players to get schemed and double, even triple teamed.

Requiem
03-03-2011, 06:49 PM

I think his instincts are questionable, but he is no doubt the best offering available for MIKE in this class.

Sturdivant out of UNC would probably be second in line. Sheppard might be an interesting prospect, but I don't know if he is a starter.

If the Broncos are looking at a LB and the value isn't there in round two, I'd consider Mason Foster with our third round selection. It might be an overdraft, but he has played all three linebacker positions. With the current ambiguity with DJ (WILL or MIKE) and uncertainty of who will play SAM (probably Haggan) he would be a quality selection because he can be plugged anywhere.

I still like Greg Jones, but not as much as I did a few months ago.

TonyR
03-03-2011, 06:55 PM

b- the defense stinks

You know it's also possible that the Broncos never made him an offer, right?

uplink
03-03-2011, 07:13 PM
He has a cunning plan. ;D
He will trade the #2 overall for an enormous turnip.

Boomhauer
03-03-2011, 07:38 PM

This. I was impressed with Bannan and thought he would do even better in a 4-3. Holding our hope he re-signs once the CBA is figured out. He, Thomas and Vickerson are the only three DLmen I'd like to see carried over to this season, but none are secured right now.

yerner
03-03-2011, 08:04 PM
This team is a mess. Obvious, I know.

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
You know it's also possible that the Broncos never made him an offer, right?

Of course I realize anything is just an educated guess. It makes sense though to assume that teams that are currently winning have a better shot at the top end FA.

Just an opinion not saying it's fact. I think it is reasonable.

epicSocialism4tw
03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Well, this development is certainly a vote of confidence in the defensive line. Ha!

Liquid Courage
03-03-2011, 09:39 PM
looks like another small if not so subtle step to making our own [Andrew] luck ;)

what a mess!

broncocalijohn
03-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Bannan really surprised me

I think most would agree with this.

DenverBrit
03-03-2011, 10:26 PM
He will trade the #2 overall for an enormous turnip.

Ha!

SonOfLe-loLang
03-03-2011, 10:45 PM
You don't really know what it means to watch a lot of film.

Thanks genius. Didnt claim i was, but lets not pretend the NFL scouts nail it everytime either. Clearly its a bit of a crapshoot

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks genius. Didnt claim i was, but lets not pretend the NFL scouts nail it everytime either. Clearly its a bit of a crapshoot

Having said that I watched some of Wilson and you are right he seems like a good football player. NFL scouts basically only scout certain regions. That's how hard it is. Then they pour over it and put together stuff for the gms. They also use the scouting services for most of it now.

I was only making a point that we, as in us laymen, don't really know very much about it. Wasn't trying to come off as a genius or someone who knows anything you don't.

You're welcome though. ROFL!

Shananahan
03-03-2011, 10:54 PM
Sheppard might be an interesting prospect, but I don't know if he is a starter.
I think he could be pretty good, but I haven't paid a lot of attention outside of the several times I watched LSU last season. I wouldn't mind at all if Denver drafted him in the 3rd. If there is a run on linebackers, I'd be more upset if we missed out completely than if we overdrafted one.

Al Wilson
03-03-2011, 11:58 PM
So far Elway is making all the right moves.

Bannan was average at best.

TonyR
03-04-2011, 05:40 AM
It makes sense though to assume that teams that are currently winning have a better shot at the top end FA.

Except that the Redskins aren't really in all that much better shape overall than the Broncos.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2011, 05:52 AM

Yeah, that's why I prefer Fairley over Dareus if we go DT at #2. If we were sticking with the 3-4 or going with a Jim Bates style 4-3, Dareus would be the better fit. But as a penetrating force in a one-gap scheme, Fairley is head and shoulders over the other DTs in this class, IMO.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Of course I realize anything is just an educated guess. It makes sense though to assume that teams that are currently winning have a better shot at the top end FA.

Just an opinion not saying it's fact. I think it is reasonable.

Please. If we want a particular guy and offer him the best financial package, he's probably going to sign with us. Same is true for any team. The majority of these guys blow through their money and are looking to get paid.

BroncoInferno
03-04-2011, 05:59 AM
Except that the Redskins aren't really in all that much better shape overall than the Broncos.

Exactly. That team is a hot mess, too. Like I said, most guys just wanna get paid and will sign with the team that offers them the best financial package.

Bronco Yoda
03-04-2011, 06:14 AM
They're just washing the stink off the deck. Time to get serious about the front seven!

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2011, 06:17 AM
This. I was impressed with Bannan and thought he would do even better in a 4-3. Holding our hope he re-signs once the CBA is figured out. He, Thomas and Vickerson are the only three DLmen I'd like to see carried over to this season, but none are secured right now.

Call me crazy, but I'd like to see Dumervil and Ayers on the roster too. :)

Kaylore
03-04-2011, 06:21 AM
Call me crazy, but I'd like to see Dumervil and Ayers on the roster too. :)

You're a crazy silly pants! :blueflame

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2011, 06:32 AM
They're just washing the stink off the deck.

OK, just realized I read that sentence a little too fast the first time around. Whew!

Old Dude
03-04-2011, 06:56 AM
This. I was impressed with Bannan and thought he would do even better in a 4-3. Holding our hope he re-signs once the CBA is figured out. ....

In the Post this morning, Bannan indicated that the Broncos asked him to take a "severe" pay cut. He said no and that was that, and he does not expect to return here. It also indicated other teams are very interested in him. I think he's gone.

The Williams cut didn't surprise me. But the Bannan move really shocked me. These team desperately needs some quality DLs, Bannan performed better than any of the others last year, he would fit fine in a 4-3, and he was the one guy I thought was a lock to return. (Even more than Doom, because Doom is so high priced and is going to have to readjust.)

The only thing I get out of this is that Denver almost has to take Dareus or Fairly at #2 now.

bronco militia
03-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Bannan will be in B-more or NY

Hulamau
03-04-2011, 07:11 AM
If Denver didnt plan to sign FAs at D-tackle, they wouldnt have cut all their D-tackles.

Bingo, they are not going to rely solely on what they might get in the draft and start and all rookie DT line.

TonyR
03-04-2011, 07:13 AM
Defensive tackle Justin Bannan, who was cut by the Denver Broncos on Thursday, said he is interested in returning to the Ravens.

"I love that place," said Bannan, who spent four seasons with the Ravens before leaving for the Broncos for the 2010 season. "I love Baltimore. I still keep in contact with a lot of guys back there. They're family to me, the Ravens organization is family to me. So that's a definite possibility. It just depends on what they've got to do. There's a lot of things that go into it, but they know how I feel about them and I know how they feel about me. I'm still the same guy. I'm healthy, I'm ready to go, I feel great. I've made it through the years strong."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/03/bannan_would_love_to_return_to_the_ravens.html

Bronco Yoda
03-04-2011, 08:01 AM
That really says it all. Who wants someone who doesn't want to be here. Time to build a team. Players that come to play and want to play for us.

Chris
03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
That really says it all. Who wants someone who doesn't want to be here. Time to build a team. Players that come to play and want to play for us.

Can you blame him? For significantly less money?

TheReverend
03-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Well... Denver has to create an environment players want to play for like it used to. That clearly wasn't the case the past 2 years. Not sure how you can blame Bannan for that

bowtown
03-04-2011, 08:05 AM
Well... Denver has to create an environment players want to play for like it used to. That clearly wasn't the case the past 2 years. Not sure how you can blame Bannan for that

Ddin't seem like he tried very hard. He should have learned some magic tricks or how to juggle. Everyone likes that stuff.

TheReverend
03-04-2011, 08:06 AM
He should have learned some magic tricks or how to juggle. Everyone likes that stuff.

I can juggle. Just sayin.

bowtown
03-04-2011, 08:07 AM

Broncs should take a flyer.

Bronco Yoda
03-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Can you blame him? For significantly less money?

No I can't. It is what it is.

Bronco Yoda
03-04-2011, 08:14 AM

I agree. It will take some time to recreate a prooud Defensive tradition. A stable coaching staff that knows what it wants will attract good player that knows what is expected.

Cito Pelon
03-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Well, there's still plenty of DL on the roster:

91 Fields, Ronald DL 6-2 314 29 6 Mississippi State
94 Leonard, Louis DL 6-4 325 26 4 Fresno State
98 McBean, Ryan DL 6-5 297 26 3 Oklahoma State
96 Unrein, Mitch DL 6-4 300 23 R Wyoming
79 Thomas, Marcus DL 6-3 316 25 4 Florida
99 Vickerson, Kevin DL 6-5 321 28 5 Michigan State

I guess this is similar to last year when they cut Hamilton & Weigmann. They have their fingers crossed hoping a couple rookies, some backups, maybe some waiver-wire additions, maybe some 2nd tier FA's can carry the load.

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2011, 08:29 AM
I guess this is similar to last year when they cut Hamilton & Weigmann. They have their fingers crossed hoping a couple rookies, some backups, maybe some waiver-wire additions, maybe some 2nd tier FA's can carry the load.

And last year was easily the worst OLine performance over the course of a year we've had in as long as I can remember.

OABB
03-04-2011, 08:30 AM

I knew you liked tossing bean bags!

tsiguy96
03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
And last year was easily the worst OLine performance over the course of a year we've had in as long as I can remember.

the loss of hamilton and weigmann was not to blame for that.

OABB
03-04-2011, 08:31 AM

They were awesome. It was knowgains fault.

broncocalijohn
03-04-2011, 08:32 AM

I agree. If you dont want to play here even though you need to take a severe paycut after playing good ball the previous season than see ya. Some you can call me crazy but what better team to go to now than the previous 4-12 Broncos?

Beantown Bronco
03-04-2011, 08:40 AM

Yes it was....indirectly.....because of who replaced them. Rookies and journeymen.

Just like 2011's DLine. They may not suck because of the guys they lost, but, if they do suck in 2011, it will be because they replaced them the same way.....rookies and journeymen (unless of course they pull of some blockbuster trade once a new CBA is reached).

TheReverend
03-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Yeah. It was just a massive coincidence that Denver's protection and rushing game hit the toilet while KC became the #1 rushing attack in the league.

Old Dude
03-04-2011, 01:34 PM

Truly a lineup to strike fear into the hearts of opposing QBs everywhere.

tsiguy96
03-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah. It was just a massive coincidence that Denver's protection and rushing game hit the toilet while KC became the #1 rushing attack in the league.

walton graded as one of the worst centers in the league last year by PFF, if not the worst, but that doenst change the fact that in the scheme this team was running last year, weigmann was not a fit whatsoever, and that showed the year prior.

TheReverend
03-04-2011, 03:02 PM
walton graded as one of the worst centers in the league last year by PFF, if not the worst, but that doenst change the fact that in the scheme this team was running last year, weigmann was not a fit whatsoever, and that showed the year prior.

So what was Weigman's ranking in 2009? If its not last you've kinda disproven your "point"

GoBroncos84
03-04-2011, 03:02 PM

Fields and McBean are free agents, neither was tendered. Thomas was tendered but hasn't signed, could leave via free agency once CBA is worked out. So Vickerson, Leonard, and Unrein are it right now.

serious hops
03-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Fields and McBean are free agents, neither was tendered. Thomas was tendered but hasn't signed, could leave via free agency once CBA is worked out. So Vickerson, Leonard, and Unrein are it right now.

"Championshiiip!" joke here]

Cito Pelon
03-05-2011, 10:07 AM

Ruh-roh.

So much for Peterson, Denver is going to draft Fairley at #2, I think they view him as the best 3tech.

Even if they bring back Fields and McBean, those two are DE's in the 4-3, not DT's. So they'll probably also try to grab the best DT's they can with the 2nd-rounders.

Beantown Bronco
03-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Even if they bring back Fields and McBean, those two are DE's in the 4-3, not DT's.

Fields is most definitely a DT in a 4-3. Unless you think he's all of a sudden going to lose over 30 lbs from his current 315. McBean at 298 would also probably have to lose some serious weight to play DE in a John Fox 4-3.

cutthemdown
03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I saw nothing from Walton that makes me excited for him to be our starting center. He just doesn't seem strong enough.

tsiguy96
03-05-2011, 12:06 PM
So what was Weigman's ranking in 2009? If its not last you've kinda disproven your "point"

was weigman playing in a system more friendly to his style of play? of course hes gonna play better. i just told you that walton was not very good, but to think that having weigman playing here in a system hes not suited for would make a noticeable difference is silly, and beadles, for a rookie, played atleast as good as hamilton did the year prior, not that its saying much.

Shananahan
03-05-2011, 12:12 PM
It's a waste of time using hindsight to complain about the fact that Weigman went and had a good season after leaving Denver. I'm pretty sure that everybody here was ready to get him off the team and didn't miss him much after the season he had in 2009. He was terrible, regardless of whether it was the system or not.

cutthemdown
03-05-2011, 12:54 PM
If Weigman was terrible what do you call Waltons performance last yr? Pathetic? He has no business starting in the NFL. I would be shocked if he starts this yr.

Shananahan
03-05-2011, 01:53 PM
I'd say he wasn't very effective at all and played pretty poorly, but I don't think it's fair to compare a rookie's performance to a 9-10+ or whatever year vet's. Not many rookie centers step in and play at a high level, so I'm able to cut Walton some slack for last year. When Weigman played like he did the season before, after having been in the league for a long time, it doesn't make sense to just be patient with the guy like you would a rookie. Older players playing like he did in '09 don't get cut slack, they just get cut. It sucks that he went on to show he wasn't done at all, but getting rid of Weigman made perfect sense at the time.