PDA

View Full Version : OT-- Droid

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm getting a new phone this weekend,

I'm leaning towards getting a Droid but I really don't know too much about them.
Do you guys have any insight to them or any other phone currently on the market???

Drunk Monkey
03-03-2011, 09:04 AM
EVO ftw. Calling it a phone is almost an insult.

jhns
03-03-2011, 09:07 AM
I just got the HTC Evo from Sprint a few weeks ago. I love everything about it other than the touch screen keyboard. I have a ton of apps and I haven't had to pay for one yet. They just have a ton of free ones. I can also download mp3s for free. I cant really tell you how it compairs to similar phones. I had a Blackberry for years and loved it. The Evo is better in every way, other than the keyboard.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Does Verizon have that?

jhns
03-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Does Verizon have that?

I think you have to go through Sprint for the evo.

Drunk Monkey
03-03-2011, 09:11 AM
No, it is only on Sprint. The new swepting function helps with the keyboard issue but it is not as good as an actual real keyboard.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:12 AM
I was going to get the iPhone 4, but I just found out late last night they don't have a tiered data plan. I refuse to pay $30 dollars a month when I'm around wifi usually

Mr.Meanie
03-03-2011, 09:14 AM
I've got the HTC G2, and it's the absolute best phone i've ever owned. It's fast, responsive, easy to use, the GPS service rocks... almost everything about it is perfect. It's like a pocket laptop that can make calls.

The only issue I've really had is my business email syncing with the phone, and I just haven't spent time trying to fix it.

Highly recommended.

maven
03-03-2011, 09:17 AM
I was going to get the iPhone 4, but I just found out late last night they don't have a tiered data plan. I refuse to pay $30 dollars a month when I'm around wifi usually

You can get an iphone 4 now and pay the $30 a month on Verizon for unlimited. Rumor has it they will be switching to tiered data plan this summer, ala iphone 4 on at&t & iPad on both networks.

I would get the iphone 4, but that's my opinion.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:19 AM
I want the iPhone, but I can't afford the unlimited

Binkythefrog
03-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I've got a Droid Incredible on Verizon and I'm a fan. Haven't had any problems with it and use it for GPS turn by turn navigation/listening to music/email/surfing internet.

It's definitely old in terms of phones (last year) but its got all the features, its just a little slower and mine can be sluggish at times, I just have to remember to close all my open apps (with a free android app). Its got wifi so you can use that too.

Its 99.99 right now. My sister has a Droid X (149.99) and its faster, has a bigger screen but pretty much the same features. The Incredible has HTC Sense, which is a layer on top of Android (which i like), while the Droid X has its own UI too.

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
I have the Droid X. It has been really good. Lots of free apps, the camera and recorder is quite amazing for a phone. It shoots video in 720p and it has 3 microphones so the sound quality is very good from all angles. the camera has all kinda features. It does have a little problem picking up low notes lets say if you were video recording a concert.

The only problem we have had is it crashes too much. maybe once or twice a week, oh and the battery life sucks. On the battery note I have not used the others so I can not say if it is better or worse but if you're using it constant it is dead in about 4 hours.

One last note the bigger screen is great.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:22 AM
See i'm thinking between the Droid Incredible and the Droid X

jhns
03-03-2011, 09:24 AM
I have the Droid X. It has been really good. Lots of free apps, the camera and recorder is quite amazing for a phone. It shoot video in 720p and it has 3 microphones so the sound quality is very good from all angles. It does have a little problem picking up low notes lets say if you were video recording a concert.

The only problem we have had is it crashes too much. maybe once or twice a week, oh and the battery life sucks. On the battery note I have not used the others so I can not say if it is better or worse but if you're using it constant it is dead in about 4 hours.

I haven't had my evo crash yet but it has the same crap battery life.

Pontius Pirate
03-03-2011, 09:25 AM
I have an Evo Droid - supposedly the best phone of 2010 according to CNET.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of it. It's hella buggy, the touchscreen keyboard sucks and the Droid market still really blows compared to iTunes.

Binkythefrog
03-03-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't get good battery life with my phone though I have to say.

I have a charger at work and in my car to keep it up. If i'm playing games listening to music etc the battery drains quickly (2-3 hours).

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
I have the Droid X. It has been really good. Lots of free apps, the camera and recorder is quite amazing for a phone. It shoots video in 720p and it has 3 microphones so the sound quality is very good from all angles. the camera has all kinda features. It does have a little problem picking up low notes lets say if you were video recording a concert.

what do you mean when you say it crashes???

This will be my first smart phone my current phone is the Casio G'zone Rock

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 09:27 AM
On a side note I was talking with a guy down at my shop and he said these new phones have a more advanced computer in them then the original space shuttle.

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 09:28 AM
what do you mean when you say it crashes???

This will be my first smart phone my current phone is the Casio G'zone Rock

It will just lock up and you have to restart it. It nothing big other then a pain in your ass. Takes about 45 seconds and one push of the button to fix it.

maven
03-03-2011, 09:28 AM

How is At&t service where you live? They have tiered data plans for the iphone.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Where I live there is only Alltell and Verizon and Alltel is joining AT&T but you can't activate phones on the AT&T until mid April

chadta
03-03-2011, 09:33 AM

is pay as you go an option ?

I picked up a 3GS, and i run it on pay as you go up here, I dont use the phone much, and as you said wifi is everywhere. With rogers even if i want to use cellular data i can get it for a buck a day.

I dont think you can get a phone from the provider this way, but if you buy the phone outright, and then just go to the provider and ask for a pay as you go card.

I know people were doing it with 7-11 speakout, but i dont think thats available anymore.

Just something to think about, my iphone has cost me 45 dollars since august.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:33 AM
It will just lock up and you have to restart it. It nothing big other then a pain in your ass. Takes about 45 seconds and one push of the button to fix it.

Oh alright, that shouldn't be that big of a deal

bronco militia
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
I've got the HTC G2, and it's the absolute best phone i've ever owned. It's fast, responsive, easy to use, the GPS service rocks... almost everything about it is perfect. It's like a pocket laptop that can make calls.

The only issue I've really had is my business email syncing with the phone, and I just haven't spent time trying to fix it.

Highly recommended.

yeah, I just got one of those from T-Mobile.....so far so good. I hate touchscreens to the slide out k-board is a must.

enjolras
03-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Oh alright, that shouldn't be that big of a deal

I have a droid incredible that I really like. I've had to reset it once in the 9 months that I've had it.. and that was my fault (I was testing something I developed on it). I'm a huge Android fan. I'd recommend just heading down to the Verizon store if you have one close and playing with the various phones.

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 09:38 AM
I live in Oregon and verizon is the only way to go. I had At&t and had almost zero service in the middle of Portland at my house. I called them and they said they can not guarantee service in all areas. I said look man I'm not living in the boon docks, I live in the middle of a fricken metropolitan area. He said there is nothing he could do.

I went tuna fishing and had service with Verizon 10 miles out in the ocean. You will pay more for V but it is so worth it in my book. However the data usage plan is something to think about. It is almost twice as much as At&t.

Mr.Meanie
03-03-2011, 09:40 AM
yeah, I just got one of those from T-Mobile.....so far so good. I hate touchscreens to the slide out k-board is a must.

have you tried Swype yet? Once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty fast, sometimes faster than using the keyboard.

bronco militia
03-03-2011, 09:47 AM
have you tried Swype yet? Once you get the hang of it it's actually pretty fast, sometimes faster than using the keyboard.

I've tried and failed! I'd probably get the hang of it if texted more often. I usually answer text with "yes, no, call me."

Ha!

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 09:48 AM
I've tried and failed! I'd probably get the hang of it if texted more often. I usually answer text with "yes, no, call me."

Ha!

This. ROFL!

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:51 AM
haha, so pretty much the main knock on Droids is the battery Life?

I text my girlfriend all day and a few other people occasionally and I rarely talk on the phone... how would the battery hold up for that?

bronco militia
03-03-2011, 09:57 AM

I text my girlfriend all day and a few other people occasionally and I rarely talk on the phone... how would the battery hold up for that?

it would be fine....

using the web, wi-fi, and gps really kill the battery. The only thing I don't like are the many screens I need to click through to manually shut off the apps that I'm no longer using but are still running in the background.

maybe there's an app for this?

BoulderBum
03-03-2011, 09:57 AM
I bought the iPhone 4 for verizon, and so far its great. As others have pointed out, it is $30 per month to get unlimited data, and they will be switching to a tiered pricing model soon... get Grandfathered in to $30 unlimited, cuz it's gonna be a much better deal than these new tiered plans. When it comes to cell phone plans, new = more expensive. I believe the data plans are the same whether you pick a Droid phone (the Driod Incredible and Droid X are best) or the iPhone. All are great devices that you'll love.

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 09:58 AM

I think it's the screen being on that gets you. I like to edit music on it for my own ring tones and that always chews up the battery. But all in all I think all the new phone batteries suck.

Mr.Meanie
03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
it would be fine....

using the web, wi-fi, and gps really kill the battery. The only thing I don't like are the many screens I need to click through to manually shut off the apps that I'm no longer using but are still running in the background.

maybe there's an app for this?

Yup, it's called the Advanced Task Killer.... absolutely essential IMO.

You can place the icon on one of your home screens, so you just tap it once and it kills all the programs running.

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 10:01 AM

You can place the icon on one of your home screens, so you just tap it once and it kills all the programs running.

Hey thanks I've been wondering about that.

bronco militia
03-03-2011, 10:05 AM

SWEET! it works great.

thanks!

Sir_Robin
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
I was an iphone user from the beginning. Last month I switched to Verizon and went with the Droid X. I have no complaints. It took a little getting used to (by little I mean - a day of use). The gripes I have are minor and related to my initial smart phone experience being the iphone. They are: not being able to sort my contacts by last name, having to pay a monthly fee for visual voice mail, and gmail not automatically fitting email's to portrait width.

As for Advanced Task Killer - every one told me it was must have. In fact, the salesman installed it right away on my wife's X at the store. I waited to install it on my for a few days. Right off the bat, my wife's contacts would not sink with facebook (sharing of photos). Mine did. Then, I installed ATK and started noticing that I wasn't getting push updates in facebook or mail. Additionally I noticed that my phone seemed more sluggish and the performance would drop off over time. After searching some droid boards I found that ATK was a commonly complained about app. I removed ATK and all those problems went away. I removed it from my wife's phone and her facebook and contacts began syncing normally. That's my experience FWIW.

Sir_Robin
03-03-2011, 10:40 AM

I think he was referring to the X. The battery does drain quick, but it charges quick too. I've not found it to be an issue personally. You can get an extended life battery for around 30 bucks.

Mr.Meanie
03-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I was an iphone user from the beginning. Last month I switched to Verizon and went with the Droid X. I have no complaints. It took a little getting used to (by little I mean - a day of use). The gripes I have are minor and related to my initial smart phone experience being the iphone. They are: not being able to sort my contacts by last name, having to pay a monthly fee for visual voice mail, and gmail not automatically fitting email's to portrait width.

As for Advanced Task Killer - every one told me it was must have. In fact, the salesman installed it right away on my wife's X at the store. I waited to install it on my for a few days. Right off the bat, my wife's contacts would not sink with facebook (sharing of photos). Mine did. Then, I installed ATK and started noticing that I wasn't getting push updates in facebook or mail. Additionally I noticed that my phone seemed more sluggish and the performance would drop off over time. After searching some droid boards I found that ATK was a commonly complained about app. I removed ATK and all those problems went away. I removed it from my wife's phone and her facebook and contacts began syncing normally. That's my experience FWIW.

Interesting, I was told it was an absolute necessity when I got my phone too. I wonder if that is one of the problems I've been having with my email. I'm going to do more research and maybe uninstall it if I need to... I'll report back if I find anything interesting.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Just got back from the Verizon store, Found out a lot of info.

I didn't know that every single smartphone required the $30 dollar/month data plan. But I got back and did a little research and Verizon announced two days ago that this summer they will be going to a tiered data plan for smartphones.

I think I would be able to afford it for a few months until they went to the tiered data usage plan. I would prefer that and just use the internet when wi-fi was able to be acquired

Binkythefrog
03-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Interesting, I was told it was an absolute necessity when I got my phone too. I wonder if that is one of the problems I've been having with my email. I'm going to do more research and maybe uninstall it if I need to... I'll report back if I find anything interesting.

I was having this problem as well, until I opened the app itself instead of just using the widget. There are checkmarks by the programs you want to disable. You can uncheck certain programs. Then when you put the "widget" and push it to kill programs, it won't shut down the program you unchecked.

I uncheck Gmail, Widgetsoid (a customizable app/contacts/anything widget launcher thingy), Music, and Clock.

it's worked amazing for me and doesn't mess with my gmail at all.

Boobs McGee
03-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Couple of things for the battery issues...

1. display - go into settings and turn off the "automatic brightness" feature. You're display eats up a TON of battery depending on the brightness. Also, while you're in the display section, adjust your screen timeout to 30 seconds or less. You can also add a widget to one of your homescreens, in case you're outside and need to bump it up a bit quickly.

2. Sync - in the accounts/sync section, you can do a few things here. Turn off background data. Adjust your sync times for different applications. For instance, instead of having your email sync once every fifteen minutes, do it once an hour. I personally leave it at once a day, then just click on the mail app every once in a while. Obviously some people are a LOT more reliant on their email, so adjust accordingly. BUT, facebook/flickr/tweet updates with regularity chew through battery life.

3. Always on mobile. this is the one that can save HUGE amounts of battery life, as it is the one that constantly updates anything requiring a mobile connection. By disabling this, all you need to do is go into whichever application requires it, and refreshing it that way.

4. Widgets - I have the following on various screens: Mobile (basic 3g), GPS, Bluetooth, 4g, Wireless, Brightness. All of these (especially GPS), if left on, drain battery. Having a widget to quickly cycle them on/off is key, imo. If you aren't using the internet, just turn it off. Same goes for GPS.

Just some of the tips I've found that dramatically increase battery life. I usually get about 1-2 days on my Evo, with a LARGE amount of texting, tons of web browsing, about a half hour -hour of talking, and some music listening.

chadta
03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/03/exclusive-blackberry-messenger-will-launch-on-android-and-ios/

Wow, cant hardly wait for this

Boobs McGee
03-03-2011, 12:35 PM
http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/03/exclusive-blackberry-messenger-will-launch-on-android-and-ios/

Wow, cant hardly wait for this

I've never owned a blackberry, and the only thing I've ever really used one for was calling a few people from my friend's phone.

Out of curiosity, what makes the blackberry messenger so great? How is it different from a standard messaging app?

chadta
03-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I've never owned a blackberry, and the only thing I've ever really used one for was calling a few people from my friend's phone.

Out of curiosity, what makes the blackberry messenger so great? How is it different from a standard messaging app?

Keep in mind ive only had an iphone for like 8 months, and before that i didnt even have a cell phone, but from what i understand its the security of BBM that makes it so good. google has led me to this list.

BBM conversations are encrypted as the traffic never leaves the BlackBerry infrastructure.

BBM offers delivery and read notifications.

BBM can be set up for internal use only on BES enabled handhelds. (Added security.)

BBM doesn't require an "account" to be set up on some public service somewhere which could possibly become compromised.

BBM can be audited by BES administrators which makes it more attractive than public IM clients in secured environments.

You can easily send pictures, files, audio, contact info, etc. over BBM.

BBM is pre-loaded on all BlackBerry devices.

BBM is "always on" and doesn't use as much battery power to run as third-party IM clients.

BBM has proven to be quite stable and is not the cause of memory leaks that plague other third-party apps.

You can easily change your BBM handle at will without your contacts needing to re-add you to their contact list.

BBM conversations and contact lists can be backed up locally to media card, or remotely via email. (With BBM 5)

Irish Stout
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM
In my humble opinion - Iphone 4 has the best battery life I have seen compared to prior Iphones, Blackberry Torch, and Droid incredible. For whatever its worth. I honestly can't say how it is comparatively otherwise, I am addicted to Iphones and have hated everything else I've tried. But I am also a technology retard.

Boobs McGee
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
Keep in mind ive only had an iphone for like 8 months, and before that i didnt even have a cell phone, but from what i understand its the security of BBM that makes it so good. google has led me to this list.

BBM conversations are encrypted as the traffic never leaves the BlackBerry infrastructure.

BBM offers delivery and read notifications.

BBM can be set up for internal use only on BES enabled handhelds. (Added security.)

BBM doesn't require an "account" to be set up on some public service somewhere which could possibly become compromised.

BBM can be audited by BES administrators which makes it more attractive than public IM clients in secured environments.

You can easily send pictures, files, audio, contact info, etc. over BBM.

BBM is pre-loaded on all BlackBerry devices.

BBM is "always on" and doesn't use as much battery power to run as third-party IM clients.

BBM has proven to be quite stable and is not the cause of memory leaks that plague other third-party apps.

You can easily change your BBM handle at will without your contacts needing to re-add you to their contact list.

BBM conversations and contact lists can be backed up locally to media card, or remotely via email. (With BBM 5)

Interesting stuff, sounds pretty damn secure.

The first bolded one could cause me problems...sometimes I really don't feel like replying to a text after I've read it right away hahaha ;D

The second bolded is interesting too...I wonder if that also works in the case of you changing your phone number. Like, you wouldn't have to send mass texts/emails/phone calls to let people know your new digits.

I'll definitely check it out once it's available, thanks for the info

chadta
03-03-2011, 12:59 PM
The second bolded is interesting too...I wonder if that also works in the case of you changing your phone number. Like, you wouldn't have to send mass texts/emails/phone calls to let people know your new digits.

my understanding is that once you have a bbm account it stays with you, but ill wait till soembody who actually has a blackberry answers forsure

Majik
03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
HTC Thunderbolt, a beefed up version of the HTC evo for verizon. If the damn thing ever comes out. Has anybody else been following the debacle of a release for this thing.

BroncosSR
03-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Go with the Droid X if you can deal without a hard keyboard. You won't be disappointed.

t-diddy
03-03-2011, 03:14 PM
I have the Droid X on Verizon and love it... i'm not a super phone nerd, but it works well for me. Task killer is already built in and the app ATK is unecessary even though everbody says you have to have it. The website below is a wealth of information on any question you could possibly think of:

www.droidforums.net/

DenverBrit
03-03-2011, 03:34 PM
Depends on what your usage is. Only Sprint offers an unlimited data plan....unless you already have one with another carrier and are 'grandfathered' in.
The EVO looks good, but get an extended battery from Amazon as the EVO battery apparently isn't enough. And get the phone from Best Buy or similar and avoid the mail in rebates.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SNIR7Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=11HQFEVXBTFEGAR96KQ0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Boobs McGee
03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
I have the Droid X on Verizon and love it... i'm not a super phone nerd, but it works well for me. Task killer is already built in and the app ATK is unecessary even though everbody says you have to have it. The website below is a wealth of information on any question you could possibly think of:

www.droidforums.net/

Great point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding that this capability wasn't available until froyo 2.2?

Anywho, couple things to remember. The EASIEST way to use the built in task manager, is as follows.

Add item to home. (this can be done through either long pressing on one of your screens, or going to the + sign and adding it that way)

Add shortcut

Settings

Manage Applications

NOW, there are a couple things to realize here. There is ALSO a shortcut for "running services", but I've found that it doesn't show everything like the "manage applications" does.

So, click on your new widget, and along the top bar you'll see a "running" tab. Click on that, and you now see everything that's currently awake on your phone, from bloatware to processes. Simply click on any item, and another subscreen will pop up. This is where you click "force stop". Voila, built in Advanced Task Killer.

The major difference, is that with ATK, you can actually set different items to STAY off (bloatware is connected to just about everything in your phone, and pops up at odd times. Dialer is connected to sprint maps. Messaging is connected to internet, etc etc), rather than constantly going back in and killing them.

Be careful, as some processes stopped can cause the phone to crash. This is where a lot of the negative light is shown (imo) on ATK. People just started force closing all kinds of stuff, thinking that because it's running and THEY didn't physically open it, that it shouldn't be open. All of those same programs shown up and runnign with the manage applications widget, but it isn't as easy to kill them (you have to go through multiple screens).

Do some trial and error...for instance, when I first got my phone, I was told that if I hit the "back" button enough times in any application, it automatically quit. not true. Try it out for yourself. Open facebook (or whatever), back out, and then check your running applications.

Boobs McGee
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Depends on what your usage is. Only Sprint offers an unlimited data plan....unless you already have one with another carrier and are 'grandfathered' in.
The EVO looks good, but get an extended battery from Amazon as the EVO battery apparently isn't enough. And get the phone from Best Buy or similar and avoid the mail in rebates.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SNIR7Y/ref=s9_simh_gw_p107_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=11HQFEVXBTFEGAR96KQ0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

I believe the OP mentioned that it was only Verizon and ATT or I would've said the same thing. MUCH cheaper.

As far as the battery goes, as I stated in an earlier post, it's pretty standard for me. Just requires a bit of tweaking. Obviously another battery is always a good idea, but not a necessity.

Orange4Life
03-03-2011, 04:03 PM
I have the Droid X. I love it. I do have to turn it off and on once in a while when it gets a little sluggish. But this is rare.
I love swype. I think I would be lost with a real keyboard. It takes a day or two to get it down but its well worth it. Its got to be faster than most thumbs on a keyboard.

DenverBrit
03-03-2011, 04:09 PM
I believe the OP mentioned that it was only Verizon and ATT or I would've said the same thing. MUCH cheaper.

As far as the battery goes, as I stated in an earlier post, it's pretty standard for me. Just requires a bit of tweaking. Obviously another battery is always a good idea, but not a necessity.

As far as I know, (according to Best Buy) Sprint is the only major carrier still offering an unlimited data plan, but that might be regional.
The unlimited data plan I looked at is $69.00, plus $10 for the 4g. I'm tempted to switch from AT&T, simply to get the unlimited data.

BTW, great avy. ;D

HILife
03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
I just got the HTC Evo from Sprint a few weeks ago. I love everything about it other than the touch screen keyboard. I have a ton of apps and I haven't had to pay for one yet. They just have a ton of free ones. I can also download mp3s for free. I cant really tell you how it compairs to similar phones. I had a Blackberry for years and loved it. The Evo is better in every way, other than the keyboard.

Have you used Swype? It's great. I think the Evo comes with it.

Boobs McGee
03-03-2011, 04:49 PM
As far as I know, (according to Best Buy) Sprint is the only major carrier still offering an unlimited data plan, but that might be regional.
The unlimited data plan I looked at is $69.00, plus $10 for the 4g. I'm tempted to switch from AT&T, simply to get the unlimited data.

BTW, great avy. ;D

haha thanks...the boobs are ALWAYS WATCHING!!!

In my last response, I was referring to what the OP had available (he only gets to choose between verizon and alltell in his area), not the market itself :D You're absolutely correct, and that unlimited plan is one of the major reasons I love sprint! Unless you make a **** ton of calls to landlines, your bill will never go over ^5

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM

BTW, great avy. ;D

We have the unlimited data plan here in Portland. 60 bucks threw verizon

Boobs McGee
03-03-2011, 05:32 PM
We have the unlimited data plan here in Portland. 60 bucks threw verizon

Unlimited EVERYTHING? Mobile calls, texts, picture, web, data? If they're doing that, kudos to the Big V

Quoydogs
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Unlimited EVERYTHING? Mobile calls, texts, picture, web, data? If they're doing that, kudos to the Big V

SHAWING ! I told my wife it was too damn much.

Broncoman13
03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I guess Verizon has a new HTC coming out any day. 1.2Ghz, 8mb internal memory and a 16 mb SD card. 8mp rear facing camera and a front facing camera (don't remember the resolution, lot lower than the rear facing tho. Large 3.8" screen but the profile is much smaller than the Droid X. And it's 4G.

If you're going Verizon, you may want to wait a few days/weeks for the new phone. Has the kick stand, surround/HD sound and video as well.

doof
03-03-2011, 09:30 PM
I guess Verizon has a new HTC coming out any day. 1.2Ghz, 8mb internal memory and a 16 mb SD card. 8mp rear facing camera and a front facing camera (don't remember the resolution, lot lower than the rear facing tho. Large 3.8" screen but the profile is much smaller than the Droid X. And it's 4G.

If you're going Verizon, you may want to wait a few days/weeks for the new phone. Has the kick stand, surround/HD sound and video as well.

I think that's the HTC Thunderbolt, aka the HTC Desire HD aka HTC Inspire 4G for AT&T. It's a pretty awesome phone but there have been complaints about its battery life.

If you're looking for the most updated Android OS only the Google Nexus S is running the Gingerbread 2.3 right now, which is basically an updated Samsung Galaxy S.

schaaf
03-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I'm getting the Verizon iPhone 4, you guys have any info on it???

HAT
03-03-2011, 09:42 PM
I can't wait until this summer.....Pre 3. WebOS blows Android away UI wise.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pre3_o.jpg

That One Guy
03-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I couldn't wait to get a new phone and was about to pay an extra fee to upgrade sooner and then it dawned on me that I don't actually want nor need a new phone. I spend most of my day on a college campus with wifi and my $200 Ipod touch thingie is everything I would want in a cell phone. I hate talking to people on the phone, you get free messaging APPs, there's no fee, and I just keep my cell phone stashed away. It works particularly nice if you're just going back and forth with one person on your messaging because you're not going to want to tell everyone to call this number, text this number. If you have a long conversation going though, it becomes an absolute afterthought. Nothing but calls that you can do on an Iphone that you can't do on a touch and there's no bill.

Jori
03-03-2011, 10:50 PM

Yep, I have an EVO and love it...use it way too much :clown:

I've had that Seidio extended battery for about six months...it's fantastic...as long as you don't mind the added bulk.

Jori
03-03-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm getting the Verizon iPhone 4, you guys have any info on it???

If you really want an iPhone, might want to wait until June when the iPhone 5 is released.

Jori
03-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I can't wait until this summer.....Pre 3. WebOS blows Android away UI wise.

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/pre3_o.jpg

WebOS is gorgeous....hopefully it can get the developers.

jhns
03-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Have you used Swype? It's great. I think the Evo comes with it.

I am looking into it, I didn't know what it was before this thread. I have been using the talk to text thing but I have to correct a lot of stuff with that. It is fun to use it when texting friends and just send whatever it says.

mwill07
03-04-2011, 09:34 AM
just recently got the Motorola Defy. Motoblur is pretty much garbage, but overall the phone is pretty solid. It claims to be water and dust resistant (IP67); there's even videos of it operating in a glass of water. I wouldn't do that, but it's nice to know that the phone doesn't necessarily have to be babied.

also, it's smaller than my wife's HTC mytouch 4G (T-mobile). Fits in my pocket much nicer.

it is running Droid 2.1 so it's not the most current, but it seems just fine to me.

Broncoman13
03-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Just got the HTC Thunderbolt thru Verizon. On it in 4G right now. Awesome so far but still figuring it out as well. No swype texting kind of blows, hopefully they get that added!

Bahshay
03-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I have an iphone 4. Great toy, but pretty lousy phone. Love all the apps, hate the speakers.

Last week I would've recommended the phone, but I can't do it in good conscience now. The other day, my phone popped out of my case and hit the sidewalk. The glass over top of the screen spidered. Everything still works, it is just very ugly and hard to see if I am reading a lot of small text. The fact that the glass broke is not my issue, i dropped it on the sidewalk, glass will do that. My beef is that in order to fix it, Apple wants me to pay $200. Thats $200 to replace JUST the glass, as the screen and everything underneath work perfectly fine. I paid $200 for the entire phone.

I used to hate apple, but I let it slide to get the iPhone. I like (not love) the phone, when my plan is up, I'll be switching to Droid. I simply refuse to support Apple in any way at this point.

BroncosSR
03-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Just got the HTC Thunderbolt thru Verizon. On it in 4G right now. Awesome so far but still figuring it out as well. No swype texting kind of blows, hopefully they get that added!

Was thinking about it but I don't like HTC's manufacturing quality. Had the xv6700 and xv6800 and both pale in comparison to the quaily of manufacturing of the Motorolla Droid X. Just played with it at VZW. Looked cool.

That One Guy
03-26-2011, 06:04 PM
I have an iphone 4. Great toy, but pretty lousy phone. Love all the apps, hate the speakers.

Last week I would've recommended the phone, but I can't do it in good conscience now. The other day, my phone popped out of my case and hit the sidewalk. The glass over top of the screen spidered. Everything still works, it is just very ugly and hard to see if I am reading a lot of small text. The fact that the glass broke is not my issue, i dropped it on the sidewalk, glass will do that. My beef is that in order to fix it, Apple wants me to pay $200. Thats $200 to replace JUST the glass, as the screen and everything underneath work perfectly fine. I paid $200 for the entire phone.

I used to hate apple, but I let it slide to get the iPhone. I like (not love) the phone, when my plan is up, I'll be switching to Droid. I simply refuse to support Apple in any way at this point.

A friend was about to get her screen repaired for $50ish before she decided to get the 4 and give up the 3G. Just look on craigslist. After you get it fixed, otterbox for the win.

Boltjolt
03-26-2011, 06:34 PM
I had an iPhone for two years and loved it but then got a Samsng Vibrant and i like it a lot more than he iPhone. Dont think ill ever go back to an iPhone with how open Android is and how it is more customizable. You can do more on it. Rooting is a snap and you can run custom ROM's and modems, dont have to wait for somebody to make a jailbreak and load a link for the software and best of all...dont have to use iTunes.

EVO is nice too but hear the battery life is crap on those. I have t-mobile and unlimited data for $20 a month and hate that AT&T bought em out but it will still be around for 12 to 18 month til they switch over.

And you dont need advanced task killer.You can turn things off from settings>applications but i dont generally even do that. I used it before and was told it dont help and uses power itself so i turned it off, deleted it in fact and didnt notice a difference.

Cmac821
03-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Just got the LG Optimus S for sprint, unlimited data ftw. Any ways it is a great phone and really cheap, probably because its 3G but I almost always use wifi. Good phone if you don't want to shell out money for an Evo

ant1999e
03-26-2011, 10:30 PM
I've had a BB for two years but it was time for my upgrade so i got the Thunderbolt. Wow, it is so much better than BB. The apps are awesome and the internet is very fast. No waiting for it to load. Easily the best phone I've ever had.

boltaneer
03-30-2011, 12:08 AM
Just got the LG Optimus S for sprint, unlimited data ftw. Any ways it is a great phone and really cheap, probably because its 3G but I almost always use wifi. Good phone if you don't want to shell out money for an Evo

I recently got the LG Optimus but from T-Mobile and I'm on their prepaid pay as you go plan and I'm loving this phone so far too. Good value for the price.

It's good for people like me who are always on wifi (either at home or at work) and don't make a ton of calls but still want the ability to have 3G if you're in an area with no wifi. Reading some of the posts above, it might be a good fit for a few of you who don't want to shell out a ton every month for data.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/prepaid-plans.aspx

Cost per minute

$100 10/min. 1000 minutes*
$50 13/min. 400 minutes
$30 19/min. 160 minutes
$10 33/min. 30 minutes

Pay As You Go (3G) data Web DayPass: $1.49 for 24 hours.