BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
was just release. bring him in and we can address the SAM and keep DJ at WILL

Pseudofool
03-02-2011, 04:13 PM
get him, sounds like he'll resign with the Pack though

FireFly
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
My understanding is that he'll be resigning with the Pack - I would love to see him here though!

cutthemdown
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
we have no pull to lure any players from a real team like the pack. Just forget about him even answering the phone when the agent calls with that offer.

bowtown
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM
we have no pull to lure any players from a real team like the pack. Just forget about him even answering the phone when the agent calls with that offer.

http://www.the-ozone.net/05-06images/football/12-30-05/images/12-30-05-FB-0060.jpg

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2011, 05:12 PM

i don't believe that one bit.

Champ is a pull, Doom is a pull, Elway is a pull, John Fox is one of the most respected coaches in the league.

Denver is still seen as a class organization.

we didn't suddenly become Cincinatti, Cleveland or Detroit

bowtown
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Champ is a pull, Doom is a pull, Elway is a pull, John Fox is one of the most respected coaches in the league.

It's just cuttthemdown shooting sunshine out of his ass as per usual.

That One Guy
03-02-2011, 05:25 PM

A DE isn't a pull. An aging CB isn't a pull. Elway in his first attempt at being a GM is DEFINITELY not going to be a pull. I can't speak for Fox and his perception throughout the league so I'll defer to you on that.

Something like the mentality of Rex Ryan and the Jets is a pull. The potential to win a SB is a pull. Playing with someone who will improve your personal stats is a pull. Elvis is going to help noone but himself through his sacks and considering how terrible we've been at in the DB department, nobody would expect Champ to hold up the QB for any extended period of time to make them look better. There's too many other options for the opposing QBs.

HAT
03-02-2011, 05:29 PM
http://www.the-ozone.net/05-06images/football/12-30-05/images/12-30-05-FB-0060.jpg

Haha...Perfect response.

Reppage.

HAT
03-02-2011, 05:31 PM

Agreed...McD still got FA's here last year after a tumultuous rookie campaign.

It'$ all about the benji$ anyway....And in Hawk's case, the pu$$y.

Gretzky went to LA for God's sake....Janet had to pursue that acting career afterall. :rofl:

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
A DE isn't a pull. An aging CB isn't a pull. Elway in his first attempt at being a GM is DEFINITELY not going to be a pull. I can't speak for Fox and his perception throughout the league so I'll defer to you on that.

Something like the mentality of Rex Ryan and the Jets is a pull. The potential to win a SB is a pull. Playing with someone who will improve your personal stats is a pull. Elvis is going to help noone but himself through his sacks and considering how terrible we've been at in the DB department, nobody would expect Champ to hold up the QB for any extended period of time to make them look better. There's too many other options for the opposing QBs.

the fact that Champ Bailey re-signed in Denver for millions less than he could have gotten on the open market is a pull that shows Denver is a great place to live and play is a pull and a major selling point for players

the return of an NFL sack leader to a defense is a pull

John Fox a very respected coach in the league and is well known as a players coach is a pull

OBF1
03-02-2011, 05:34 PM
No sh it, It is all about $$$ plain and simple.

That One Guy
03-02-2011, 05:49 PM
the fact that Champ Bailey re-signed in Denver for millions less than he could have gotten on the open market is a pull that shows Denver is a great place to live and play is a pull and a major selling point for players

the return of an NFL sack leader to a defense is a pull

John Fox a very respected coach in the league and is well known as a players coach is a pull

I will say Denver is a pull. With Champ at this point, he could very well be ready to preserve his legacy and trying to end his career with big fanfare to make the HOF. If he goes somewhere high profile and high pressure like a NY or Dallas, he could crash and burn. I don't think he's the same player he once was either, though, so I think he's best staying as a big fish in a small pond.

Ugly Duck
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM

http://i52.tinypic.com/m96lw1.gif

cutthemdown
03-02-2011, 05:51 PM

Shhh don't give the maners reason to hate you by telling the truth.

Broncos are not a pull. Players want to win and get paid. The good ones can do that both and not have to choose a team like Denver. To get the really good player we will have to draft them at this point. Then look to FA and expect to over pay.

KipCorrington25
03-02-2011, 07:45 PM

She has a stronger jawline than he does. She might be a better QB also. !Booya!

TonyR
03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Elvis is going to help noone but himself through his sacks...

So his sacks don't help the team? Being accounted for by the offense, particuarly on passing downs, doesn't help his teammates? Really?

Archer81
03-02-2011, 08:12 PM
She has a stronger jawline than he does. She might be a better QB also. !Booya!

Imagine the offspring resulting from a mix of Quinn and Hawk genetics...the kid will have Kirk Douglass' jaw and chin and the forehead of Brainiac.

:Broncos:

SoCalBronco
03-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I will say Denver is a pull. .

http://www.nfscars.net/forum/images/smilies/images_smilies_facepalm.gif

Denver is not a "pull" whatsoever. This is a 4-12 disaster that requires a major project to be good, again. We've got an owner in steep decline, a poisonous rasputin whispering in his ear, a dickless pizza boy that likes to make self serving statements and deflects blame and someone with absolutely no experience at NFL GM'ing somehow being able to break ties. That's not exactly something that would inspire FA's to come here. Three of the four men currently in charge have a great deal of responsibility for this team being an embarassment of biblical proportions. Denver is a beautiful city with decent weather and good people, and John Fox does bring some credibility, but overall, we're hardly an attractive destination. What will bring FA's here is simply money and as between us and high profile, functional playoff teams, with everything else being equal top quality people will go to the latter, because the latter is not a mess and the latter is proven. If we're such a "pull", why did we have three HC candidates decline to be interviewed? That embarasses me. Thank you, Pat.

So no... we don't have any real pull. We've got a couple good players here and there, but so does everyone else.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/d4/fullj.638f5a548723816f7975c1b2bdbe8a44/ap-8ed38fc9cda24e2ebd6d432644483c51.jpg

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8792/111azn.jpg

Requiem
03-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Grand Slam for Socal.

BroncoMan4ever
03-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Denver is not a "pull" whatsoever. This is a 4-12 disaster that requires a major project to be good, again. We've got an owner in steep decline, a poisonous rasputin whispering in his ear, a dickless pizza boy that likes to make self serving statements and deflects blame and someone with absolutely no experience at NFL GM'ing somehow being able to break ties. That's not exactly something that would inspire FA's to come here. Three of the four men currently in charge have a great deal of responsibility for this team being an embarassment of biblical proportions. Denver is a beautiful city with decent weather and good people, and John Fox does bring some credibility, but overall, we're hardly an attractive destination. What will bring FA's here is simply money and as between us and high profile, functional playoff teams, with everything else being equal top quality people will go to the latter, because the latter is not a mess and the latter is proven. If we're such a "pull", why did we have three HC candidates decline to be interviewed? That embarasses me. Thank you, Pat.

So no... we don't have any real pull. We've got a couple good players here and there, but so does everyone else.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ap/d4/fullj.638f5a548723816f7975c1b2bdbe8a44/ap-8ed38fc9cda24e2ebd6d432644483c51.jpg

when a guy like Champ Bailey who could have hit the open market and gotten as much as a 15million a year contract from a team closer to a super bowl title decides to stay in Denver because he loves the organization and the city, was impressed by the new HC, that is a huge mark of Denver being a great place to come play

Denver is a pull.

Archer81
03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
We've got an owner in steep decline, a poisonous rasputin whispering in his ear, a dickless pizza boy that likes to make self serving statements and deflects blame and someone with absolutely no experience at NFL GM'ing somehow being able to break ties.

I'm sorry. This word cannot be used without Mc in front of it. Its precedent.

:Broncos:

That One Guy
03-02-2011, 09:40 PM

I didn't clarify that, I said this before:

I was just conceding that the city of Denver is a pull. The rest of the situation is repulsing.

That One Guy
03-02-2011, 09:43 PM
So his sacks don't help the team? Being accounted for by the offense, particuarly on passing downs, doesn't help his teammates? Really?

His sacks help the team but NFL people want to succeed personally. Getting a ring is part of that. That's why players are willing to abandon their own teams often times in pursuit of a ring on someone else's team. It's a league of personal acheivements.

When Jared Allen went to Minnesota, he had the Williams wall to line up next to. They helped Allen. Is some DT out there thinking "Man!, if only I could play next to Elvis!... I'd have 2 1/2 sacks next year!"... No, they aren't. A DEs play doesn't impact others in the same way. In particular, a single DE. MAYBE you could argue that a CB would like playing for a team like Balt or the Jets because of their QB pressures but there's not enough pressure in Denver, especially from one person, to make the situation overly attractive.

broncswin
03-02-2011, 09:44 PM

BOO!! :punched:

Pseudofool
03-02-2011, 11:28 PM

So no... we don't have any real pull. We've got a couple good players here and there, but so does everyone else. Oh whatever, dude. You're a smart man, but you've got some beef with ownership that colors your opinion towards the dismissable margins. Honestly, as much as I believe in your capacity, it's hard to take this crap seriously (Did you say biblical postpositions? Come on. Really.) Denver obviously is a pull given that Champ willingly resigned, after some supposedly bad blood.

While the record was ugly last year, the team is much closer to a productive unit than the regular haters would like to admit. The defense is not without talent, excellent talent at that. I can't analyze why we exactly sucked so bad last year, but it's hard not to believe that some key defensive front line acquisitions wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference.

The notion that the team is on skidrow simply plays out narrative that some posters have been weaving since Shanny got fired. And it's hard to take those posters seriously, when their analysis dovetails so conveniently with their former, very public hate.

broncocalijohn
03-02-2011, 11:33 PM

Do you think those two ever fought over the same dude?

SoCalBronco
03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
Oh whatever, dude. You're a smart man, but you've got some beef with ownership that colors your opinion towards the dismissable margins. Honestly, as much as I believe in your capacity, it's hard to take this crap seriously (Did you say biblical postpositions? Come on. Really.) Denver obviously is a pull given that Champ willingly resigned, after some supposedly bad blood.

While the record was ugly last year, the team is much closer to a productive unit than the regular haters would like to admit. The defense is not without talent, excellent talent at that. I can't analyze why we exactly sucked so bad last year, but it's hard not to believe that some key defensive front line acquisitions wouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference.

The notion that the team is on skidrow simply plays out narrative that some posters have been weaving since Shanny got fired. And it's hard to take hose posters seriously, when their analysis dovetails so conveniently with their former, very public hate.

That Champ re-signed here does not make us a "pull". Champ was given a good offer, 10-11 million per season on average for a 32 year old corner that will probably be a safety in two years. While his willingness to turn the other cheek after a previous good offer was rescinded (bad blood as you correctly point out) is exemplary, he came back here because they gave him a good deal. I'm not sure there would be a whole lot of teams ready to give him a 4 year deal for about 11m per season given that the CBA future is unknown (I'm not saying he doesnt deserve it, he probably does and I love the guy, but I'm not sure other teams would have done this given the CBA situation right now...I suspect Denver felt like they looked like a POS PR wise after what they did to Champ earlier and felt like they had to do something to win people over and give people some confidence in the FO). He's a very good player, but he alone doesn't give us "pull". There are some pretty good players on alot of teams, even teams with losing records. The bottom line is that there are alot of holes here, there is a FO that is not respected a great deal, and we had 3 coaches decline requests to be interviewed. Is that not embarassing? At one time, yes, this was a premier organization, first class in every way and alot of guys flocked to Denver because it was....the Denver Broncos. We've taken a ton of hits in many respects recently and we're just not that well thought of around the league. I'm sorry to say that but it is what it is. Much work is needed before we can once again say that Denver has inherent pull (outside of the nice aspects of the city, itself). John Fox brings some cred.....most of the others in the building don't.

Boomhauer
03-02-2011, 11:52 PM
was just release. bring him in and we can address the SAM and keep DJ at WILL

Sign him. That would make our current corps SLB-DJ/MLB-AJ/WLB-Wood

Pseudofool
03-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I'm not going to take you to task on much of your response because we just feel differently about the Champ deal etc. (Is Champ really just about money and comfort at this point? I feel you'll see any action by the Broncos as a notch towards your narrative (not that you're necessarily wrong.)) there is a FO that is not respected a great deal, and we had 3 coaches decline requests to be interviewed. Is that not embarassing? .We're going to need more specific here, there was Mike Mularkey (who had legitimate tasks to attend to) and who else? Maybe it's my ignorance, but I don't recall many others turning down the job.

There's a lot of talent on our team, whether well-used, well-positioned for success is another argument, but the offense clearly has a lot going for it, even though the offensive line could use some help/experience (which we might already have). The question is the defense, and we have usable, admittedly awesome, pieces to use. A defensive tackle, a linebacker who tackles and can play some freaking gaps, and some youth in the secondary, we are seriously competitive. That's a lot to ask, I know. But it's possible, not improbable, and that's the position you're taking, one of hopelessness and cynicism--and I kind of like playing that role, and you're taking the shine off my star :)

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Broncos are a pull because the city is a nice place to live. But not a pull because the team is so bad and a long ways from being elite.

So for sure we can get some FA, probably just not ones that everyone wants. Maybe the b level guys though.

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 12:24 AM
Also it's being reported he's getting ready to sign a 5 yr deal with packers. Like I said no reason for Hawk to look elsewhere. Killer team, they are champs, he wants to win.

BroncoMan4ever
03-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Sign him. That would make our current corps SLB-DJ/MLB-AJ/WLB-Wood

i'd rather put DJ in the WILL and use Woodyard as a down in the box Safety(basically a 4th LB) he is actually pretty good with coverage on TEs and as long as he isn't asked to play coverage too much should be decent

Woodyard is a playmaker and needs to be on the field more often than just ST

SoCalBronco
03-03-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm not going to take you to task on much of your response because we just feel differently about the Champ deal etc. (Is Champ really just about money and comfort at this point? I feel you'll see any action by the Broncos as a notch towards your narrative (not that you're necessarily wrong.))

I don't think I see every single action by the Broncos as a notch towards my narrative. For instance, I read that Fox said DJ would be starting at WLB or MLB this year and I applauded that and indicated that showed me he had some brains, rather than the rumors that had suggested he would be traded due to his alcohol issues which I thought would be a cheap PR stunt and it would be irrational, moronic and in Bowlen's case, hypocritical. So I haven't bashed every little thing they've done.

We're going to need more specific here, there was Mike Mularkey (who had legitimate tasks to attend to) and who else? Maybe it's my ignorance, but I don't recall many others turning down the job.
From what I had read, Harbaugh also turned down the oppurtunity for an interview even though Elway reportedly was a huge fan of him. It was also noted that the Saints DC also declined. As to Mularkey, I dont buy his excuse, he was going to interview with antoher team during the playoffs. He claimed to harmonize this by saying they had "asked first" so he felt obligated to do it, but that's really irrelevant if the grounds are that he doesnt want to get distracted. I would also point to the general quality of candidates interviewed. It wasn't exactly star studded. Why wouldn't big guns interview here?

There's a lot of talent on our team, whether well-used, well-positioned for success is another argument, but the offense clearly has a lot going for it, even though the offensive line could use some help/experience (which we might already have). The question is the defense, and we have usable, admittedly awesome, pieces to use. A defensive tackle, a linebacker who tackles and can play some freaking gaps, and some youth in the secondary, we are seriously competitive. That's a lot to ask, I know. But it's possible, not improbable, and that's the position you're taking, one of hopelessness and cynicism--and I kind of like playing that role, and you're taking the shine off my star :)

It's ok...we can share in that role. :)

Pseudofool
03-03-2011, 12:51 AM
It's ok...we can share in that role. :)
Touche', friend. It's nice to disagree respectful-like.

Here's to derailing a thread for a good cause!

Boomhauer
03-03-2011, 01:32 AM
i'd rather put DJ in the WILL and use Woodyard as a down in the box Safety(basically a 4th LB) he is actually pretty good with coverage on TEs and as long as he isn't asked to play coverage too much should be decent

I'd be down with the 4-4 in a heartbeat, but it requires a top-notch FS in center field. Champ?
SOLB-Wood/SILB-AJ/WILB-DJ/WOLB-?(Bruton+10lbs)

Mogulseeker
03-03-2011, 09:42 AM

I've been saying that for a while dude.

peacepipe
03-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Something like the mentality of Rex Ryan and the Jets is a pull. The potential to win a SB is a pull. Playing with someone who will improve your personal stats is a pull. Elvis is going to help noone but himself through his sacks and considering how terrible we've been at in the DB department, nobody would expect Champ to hold up the QB for any extended period of time to make them look better. There's too many other options for the opposing QBs.he may be aging,but that doesn't change the level of respect he has amongst players around the league. he is most definately a pull.

bowtown
03-03-2011, 10:50 AM
NM

vancejohnson82
03-03-2011, 11:13 AM
signed...w Pack for 8 years

BroncoMan4ever
03-03-2011, 11:15 AM
signed...w Pack for 8 years

8years?

damn i thought the deal was going to be for 5

Beantown Bronco
03-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd be down with the 4-4 in a heartbeat, but it requires a top-notch FS in center field. Champ?
SOLB-Wood/SILB-AJ/WILB-DJ/WOLB-?(Bruton+10lbs)

Pretty much impossible to do this alignment nowadays with all but a handful of teams going at least 3 wide on pretty much every play.

HAT
03-03-2011, 11:28 AM

And here I was thinking that once 'the Patriot' got fired and Blue came back on board that the 'mane no longer had mods that hate the team. :blueflame

Drek
03-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Did this board seriously just have a discussion about 1. how much people wanted AJ Hawk and 2. how he wouldn't come here because we're not enough of a draw?

AJ Hawk is a VERY poor man's DJ Williams. Everything people complain about with DJ (poor field awareness, can't shed blockers, etc.) is even more applicable criticism of AJ Hawk.

Just goes to show what a cool last name and stupidly high pre-draft hype will get you I guess. James Laurinaitis, his successor at OSU, is already a far better NFL player. He went at the start of the 2nd, Hawk went 5th overall.

BroncoMan4ever
03-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Did this board seriously just have a discussion about 1. how much people wanted AJ Hawk and 2. how he wouldn't come here because we're not enough of a draw?

AJ Hawk is a VERY poor man's DJ Williams. Everything people complain about with DJ (poor field awareness, can't shed blockers, etc.) is even more applicable criticism of AJ Hawk.

Just goes to show what a cool last name and stupidly high pre-draft hype will get you I guess. James Laurinaitis, his successor at OSU, is already a far better NFL player. He went at the start of the 2nd, Hawk went 5th overall.

Hawk is a really good MLB in the 4-3. it is the 3-4 scheme that he is not excelling in.

also, i was just bringing up that he was a potential guy to look at as he plays a position of need and is young still that it wouldn't be a 1 or 2 year plug at the position but potentially a long term fix.

i honestly would prefer any of tthe following ahead of him
Stephen Tulloch
Barrett Ruud
Paul Posluszny

broncocalijohn
03-03-2011, 01:02 PM

So you talked to the Broncos staff on this? I dont know what exact scheme Fox has planned except the 4-3 basic. Whatever he did in Carolina can be totally different here. I think who we draft and what he sees in mini camps is what will determine the different scenarios for the defense.

Drek
03-03-2011, 01:55 PM

Why not just keep DJ in the middle and let Woodyard play WOLB?

DJ will look a whole lot better in the middle if we put a couple DTs who can hold up their end of stopping the run in front of him.

Fox has consistently developed quality LBs while in Carolina. DJ sure as hell has the athleticism and he's now been playing in the middle for the last three years. Keeping him there opens a perfect hole for Woodyard and leaves us only short a SOLB.

cutthemdown
03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
DJ won't look good anywhere because he is an avg football player. He's small, doesn't shed blocks, doesn't play physical yet people want to stick him at MLB?

More like trade him, or play him on the weakside.