PDA

View Full Version : Shanny cut CP today, should Denver be interested in bringing him back where it started?

montrose
02-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Ironically, days after Champ gets his extention - so did the Broncos "win" that trade or is it a no-contest considering the same guy who made the trade for the Broncos is the one who cut him with the Skins? Hmmmmm...

Anyway, with John Fox teams generally going pretty deep at the RB position - should the Broncos consider bringing Portis back to finish where he started at a cheap price - competing with White, Buck and maybe another guy for carries alongside Knowshon or maybe they make a more expensive signing for a premier guy like DeAngelo Williams or Michael Bush?

In Carolina, Fox always had at least 2 guys who could tote the rock - sometimes more - so you gotta figure at least one new back is in the fold... maybe it's CP?

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/272935/clintonportisbelt.jpg

OBF1
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Please tell me you are kidding right???

The guy has missed more games than he has played the past 2 seasons. We have enough injured RB's we can bring back.

schaaf
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM
If it was cheap enough.

I love Champ, but it was too bad we had to get rid of CP I loved watching him run the ball for the broncos.

montrose
02-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Please tell me you are kidding right???

The guy has missed more games than he has played the past 2 seasons. We have enough injured RB's we can bring back.

I'm thinking in a reserve role on a 1-year deal with no guarantees. He could teach Knowshon a thing or two about pass-pro.

cutthemdown
02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Stupid idea. Portis is washed up.

illbroncsfn
no thank you

cutthemdown
I'm thinking in a reserve role on a 1-year deal with no guarantees. He could teach Knowshon a thing or two about pass-pro.

Why he takes up a roster spot. He's washed up. Use the roster spot on a player who might actually help you. .

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
No thanks.

If he'd stayed in Denver, he'd be a first-ballot HOF'er.

El Guapo
02-28-2011, 01:16 PM
The only help he'll be giving the team will be either keeping the bench warm or keeping The Greek company all season. Portis is done and has been for a couple years now.

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 01:22 PM
lets bring in Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary and Reuben Droughns too

BroncoMan4ever
02-28-2011, 01:26 PM
MICHAEL BUSH!!!

get the guy i wish we had drafted a few years ago

Taco John
02-28-2011, 01:29 PM
I wonder who would be available to play more, Portis or Moreno.

Beantown Bronco
02-28-2011, 01:31 PM

Sadly, all are probably better than Maroney.

ElwayMD
02-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I hear Sammy Winder is not doing anything...

broncosteven
02-28-2011, 01:33 PM

I thought that KM's specialty was pass-pro? The only time the kid looks like he was worth the 15th pick in the draft is when we play KFC and they are selling out to stop the Chuck it deep to Lloyd.

Beantown Bronco
02-28-2011, 01:39 PM
I thought that KM's specialty was pass-pro? The only time the kid looks like he was worth the 15th pick in the draft is when we play KFC and they are selling out to stop the Chuck it deep to Lloyd.

I swear Portis did the same thing. Seems half his numbers came against KFC as well.

Pick Six
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Stupid idea. Portis is washed up.

...and nuttier than Charlie Sheen...

ColoradoDarin
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
I'd rather bring in some undrafted kid than CP.

Jetmeck
02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Don't think CP is washed up. Washington was trying to use him as a pounder. Our blocking scheme fit him much better and / or we were just implementing it much better than them. I think he should heal up and be a real contributor for the right team.

cmhargrove
02-28-2011, 01:52 PM
I don't remember the article I read recently, but maybe he has played 19 of the last 32 games? We just don't need that.

Find a young guy with an upside, or a cap casualty, but just say "no" to washed up old RB's. I loved young Clinton Portis, but he is no longer the home run threat, or the powerhouse that he used to be.

The guy that originally drafted him doesn't even want him anymore. He's done.

Pony Boy
02-28-2011, 01:53 PM
So what's the status of LenDale White?

Smiling Assassin27
02-28-2011, 01:54 PM
No way. The guy's so used up that even his alter-egos are tired.

montrose
02-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Wow not too may a fan of bring back CP... lol - just an idea. As per White, last I heard he was rehabbing at Dove Valley. In fact, the day Fox was hired there were only two Broncos working out at the facility: White and Tebow.

TailgateNut
02-28-2011, 02:17 PM
I have one of his jerseys and still vote HELL NO!

Ratboy
02-28-2011, 02:19 PM

I wonder what KaRon Coleman is doing...

serious hops
02-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Yea, no.

schaaf
02-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Wow not too may a fan of bring back CP... lol - just an idea. As per White, last I heard he was rehabbing at Dove Valley. In fact, the day Fox was hired there were only two Broncos working out at the facility: White and Tebow.

That is awesome.

Beantown Bronco
02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I still have yet to see even a joke name mentioned on here that would be worse than Maroney.

Chris
02-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Bring back Glenn Cadrez!

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Portis is used up. The (almost) final numbers:

2230 attempts
9923 yds
75 TD's
4.4 YPA
11,941 total yds
5 reception TD's

Pretty good career.

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
I still have yet to see even a joke name mentioned on here that would be worse than Maroney.

Baloney.

Boomhauer
02-28-2011, 08:21 PM

Much better option than Buckhalter. Portis is a bit light for Fox, but still very quick.

Arkie
02-28-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't remember the article I read recently, but maybe he has played 19 of the last 32 games? We just don't need that.

Find a young guy with an upside, or a cap casualty, but just say "no" to washed up old RB's. I loved young Clinton Portis, but he is no longer the home run threat, or the powerhouse that he used to be.

The guy that originally drafted him doesn't even want him anymore. He's done.

"With a guy with a high salary cap, I've always dealt with it a little differently," Shanahan explained. "If we're not going to sign Clinton to that high salary, I'll let him test the market out. Not to say we don't want him, but for a lower price."

That's the way Shanny felt about Portis in 2003 too.

Broncobiv
02-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Much better option than Buckhalter. Portis is a bit light for Fox, but still very quick.

Why is everyone so down on Buckhalter? Tebow gets the credit for the comeback win vs. Houston, but without Buchkhalter, it never would've happened!

Natedogg
02-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Bring back Glenn Cadrez!

You mean Glenn Milburn??

strafen
02-28-2011, 11:53 PM
Why is everyone so down on Buckhalter? Tebow gets the credit for the comeback win vs. Houston, but without Buchkhalter, it never would've happened!Maybe because he really didn't stand out in two years in terms of being an impact player that you could count on to win games...

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 11:54 PM
You mean Glenn Milburn??

are you talking about Glyn Milburn

HEAV
03-01-2011, 01:26 AM
CP26 was sick in Denver back in 02-03. The kid was just blaz'n fast on the field and his ability to stop and change direction was just silly.

Sadly years of carrying the load in Washington have taken there toll on his body. Much like any NFL veteran running back the game just tears the body down. CP26 isn't the same player he once was and will never be that player again.

It's best to keep the running to the young kids.

extralife
03-01-2011, 02:07 AM
CP is my boy, but he's done. I agree that he'd have been a hall of famer had we kept him. but of course we won that trade--Champ was headed to the hall regardless of who he played for.

bronco_diesel
03-01-2011, 10:15 AM
I often wonder what CP's numbers would have been like had he stayed in Denver....

I think the same year he left, we also lost Sharpe, didn't we?

I thought we had something special starting with Plummer, Portis and Sharp....or is my memory that bad?

Mogulseeker
03-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Buckhalter is a decent 3rd down back and Moreno is a decent 1a back. What we need is a 1b power back to pound it and give Moreno a break every now and then.

razorwire77
03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I'd be fine with a one year incentive based contract. Whether it's FA or draft, we need RB depth, and someone to push Knowshon in camp. The idea of Lance Ball and a 270 pound White coming off a major injury as complementary backs makes me shudder.

bronco militia
03-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I'd be fine with a one year incentive based contract. Whether it's FA or draft, we need RB depth, and someone to push Knowshon in camp. The idea of Lance Ball and a 270 pound White coming off a major injury as complementary backs makes me shudder.

please explain how a washed up CP with a history of concussions help the 2011 Broncos?

bendog
03-01-2011, 01:22 PM
please explain how a washed up CP with a history of concussions help the 2011 Broncos?

I know he had a concussion last year, but his groin pull ended his season. But personally I think he's done. At his age and with the dings, he'd have to commit to really hard conditioning just to be a between the tackles kind of guy who can slip outside now and then. Not his game, imo

bronco militia
03-01-2011, 01:43 PM
I know he had a concussion last year, but his groin pull ended his season. But personally I think he's done. At his age and with the dings, he'd have to commit to really hard conditioning just to be a between the tackles kind of guy who can slip outside now and then. Not his game, imo

my bad.....he's got a long history of injuries, period.

he missed half the 2009 season with a severe concussion.

bendog
03-01-2011, 02:00 PM
my bad.....he's got a long history of injuries, period.

he missed half the 2009 season with a severe concussion.

Oh no, he has a history of concussions, and most likely he'll have dementia by age 60. But I think his playing days are history because of legs and ... he was great when he was here, but he doesn't have Walter Payton/Floyd Little work ethic, and that's what it takes for smaller guys to play well into their 30's

Dislocated shoulder/broken hand 2006. Realtively healthy for two years. Concussion knocks him out for the last 8 games in 09. In 10 another concussion and his groin muscle gets pulled off his pelvis, and he only plays 5 games.

Beantown Bronco
03-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Oh no, he has a history of concussions, and most likely he'll have dementia by age 60.

60?!?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EeQWlNc0w8k?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EeQWlNc0w8k?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

FantomForce
03-01-2011, 02:32 PM
If it was cheap enough.

I love Champ, but it was too bad we had to get rid of CP I loved watching him run the ball for the broncos.

Are you SERIOUS? Two Pro bowls compared to Ten?????????? Sure HOF to a guy that had a few decent seasons? Lock down corner that eliminates 1/3 of the field for your Defense. This is the dumbest comment I've heard all day

razorwire77
03-01-2011, 02:59 PM

I'm not saying pay the man. I'm saying that bringing Portis in for a look is preferable to thinking that Lenwhale White is going to recover from one of the worst injuries a RB can have, or that Lance Ball is a capable backup. I think we should bring a veteran like a Portis into camp, and possibly draft a back with our 3rd rounder.

broncosteven
03-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Was the rest of the team playing handball in the Sand Point Idaho mens handball league?

Los Broncos
03-01-2011, 08:07 PM
Why not bring in Gerald Wilhite.

broncosteven
03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Why not bring in Gerald Wilhite.

Maybe San Diego has an RB who has Asthma we can pick up, it worked so well the last time. At least we did get a guy who can call PS games play-by-play!