PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Game Console Poll

Archer81
02-28-2011, 10:44 AM
I dont want to ignite a fanboy war over video game systems, but curious to people's favorite systems.

Poll to follow...

:Broncos:

OABB
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Ps3. Duh.

Chris
I declare a thumb war.

2KBack
Dreamcast

OABB
Sega genesis is still my favorite.

jhns
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
PC for shooters and PS3 for sports/driving/most everything else.

ElwayMD
02-28-2011, 10:49 AM
calecovision

Man-Goblin
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I started out with the X-Box and moved on the the 360, but when I got the PS3 for the BluRay I converted. Now I'm straight PS3 because the controller is better and more durable, and the games don't crash at all.

Dr. Broncenstein
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
I have all three, but don't have the time to play any of them.

NFLBRONCO
02-28-2011, 11:44 AM
xbox 360 is my fav. If all ps3 consoles would play PS1 PS2 games. I would have picked it over ps2 console. I love wireless controllers.

bowtown
02-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Dreamcast

It's thinking...

2KBack
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Dreamcast is a sentimental favorite. The 360 is easily the system I have logged the most time with now though. I Still have my N64, Gamecube, Saturn, ps2, and Dreamcast, but they don't get much usage. The Wii sits wasting space, my PS3 is basically a dedicated blueray player at this point. The 360 is by a wide margin the most used console I have.

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
NES, SNES, Sega Genesis and Sega CD were the golden age of video games, imo.

2KBack
02-28-2011, 12:20 PM
NES, SNES, Sega Genesis and Sega CD were the golden age of video games, imo.

I agree, I had every one of those systems. The reason I feel I game more now is pure economics. I couldn't buy every awesome game when I was a kid, now I can :)

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
I agree, I had every one of those systems. The reason I feel I game more now is pure economics. I couldn't buy every awesome game when I was a kid, now I can :)

Do you know how long it took me to beat Sewer Shark?

That game was SOOOOOOOO ****ing hard.

Taco John
02-28-2011, 12:26 PM
No love for the Intellevision?

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Rev, Sewer Shark was incredible

weird story, strange game and hella difficult....what a great game....the only reason Sega CD gets my vote

Miss I.
02-28-2011, 12:33 PM

ah, man I remember those games....that's hysterical...or sad, because that means I am old..sighh...;D

http://www.intellivisiongames.com/history.php

but as a kid, I loved our little Atari....now I have a Wii, but it occurs to me it sounds a little weird to say I like to play with my Wii

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Rev, Sewer Shark was incredible

weird story, strange game and hella difficult....what a great game....the only reason Sega CD gets my vote

Lunar for Sega CD (not the PS garbage version) is one of the best games I've ever played. Thing was amazing and SO ahead of it's time.

Beantown Bronco
02-28-2011, 12:35 PM
I haven't really been that big into video games since the original NES in HS. Dabbled in a few PC games in college that I still occasionally play. Goldeneye, Redneck Rampage and Alien vs. Predator are a few of my favorites.

Nowadays, we're pretty much all about the Wii in the Bean household, courtesy of my two little ones. They're addicted to it.

jhns
02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Wow some of you are really indecisive.

chadta
02-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Without saying what my favorite is id like to comment, first sega blew it, everytime they brought out a new system it had no compatibility with anything from the old system so you had to buy all new stuff, which might work if you have a hard core enough following. I remember the genisis, and the cd, and the 32x, and it pissed me off, i was a sega fanboy at the time, but man did that stuff piss me off.

Nintendo on the other hand, has put some serious thought into the wii, you can download trial games for the ds, broadcast them from the wii, and play them, game cube, which for those not in the know, was the previous system, and everything works on the wii, memory cards, controllers, everything, no adapter needed. They did the same thing with the DS, it still takes game boy, and game boy advance games. I think it was very smart, you get people that buy a bunch of stuff and dont have to replace everytime they upgrade.

Now for mods, i know PS2, Wii, and xbox you could install software to allow you to backup all games onto the hard drive and basically get rid of the disk, this not only saved wear and tear on the laser, but made the games load a little faster. It also allowed you to if you were so inclined rent games and keep a copy of them. Now without starting a big arguement over intellectual property, that to me was a big feature, having small children, i see no reason i should not be able to copy my games that i own and play them.

For me right now, id have to say i like the wii, just cuz my kids laugh uncontrollably everytime they play it, and its a really well thought out system, but man for an adult its hard to compete with the ps3 or xbox360

Popps
02-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Actually, I didn't see Atari 2600. That would be my first, since I was addicted to that as a kid.

Rigs11
02-28-2011, 12:57 PM

did you ever play night stalker on it? damn that game was hard

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 01:01 PM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W48SRLPBJmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

montrose
02-28-2011, 01:14 PM
1) SNES
2) Xbox 360
3) PS2

Honorable Mention: Dreamcast, PS1

TheElusiveKyleOrton
02-28-2011, 01:23 PM
I like the 360, but it's mostly for the controller.

My hands are big. PS3's controller constantly gives me cramps in my thumbs, and that's annoying. The 360's controller is bigger, and fits better in my bear hands.

2KBack
02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Do you know how long it took me to beat Sewer Shark?

That game was SOOOOOOOO ****ing hard.

I'm impressed you ****ing did it. I'm pretty sure I was still "Dogmeat" when I gave up.

Oh yeah, and agreed, Lunar on the SegaCD was awesome.

2KBack
02-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Without saying what my favorite is id like to comment, first sega blew it, everytime they brought out a new system it had no compatibility with anything from the old system so you had to buy all new stuff, which might work if you have a hard core enough following. I remember the genisis, and the cd, and the 32x, and it pissed me off, i was a sega fanboy at the time, but man did that stuff piss me off.

Nintendo on the other hand, has put some serious thought into the wii, you can download trial games for the ds, broadcast them from the wii, and play them, game cube, which for those not in the know, was the previous system, and everything works on the wii, memory cards, controllers, everything, no adapter needed. They did the same thing with the DS, it still takes game boy, and game boy advance games. I think it was very smart, you get people that buy a bunch of stuff and dont have to replace everytime they upgrade.

Now for mods, i know PS2, Wii, and xbox you could install software to allow you to backup all games onto the hard drive and basically get rid of the disk, this not only saved wear and tear on the laser, but made the games load a little faster. It also allowed you to if you were so inclined rent games and keep a copy of them. Now without starting a big arguement over intellectual property, that to me was a big feature, having small children, i see no reason i should not be able to copy my games that i own and play them.

For me right now, id have to say i like the wii, just cuz my kids laugh uncontrollably everytime they play it, and its a really well thought out system, but man for an adult its hard to compete with the ps3 or xbox360

Before the last couple batches of consoles, no one had continuing compatibility. The NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube all used different incompatible formats. What doomed Sega was how quickly they abandoned their creations. The back to back release of the 32x and Saturn was the point where they were on the edge of losing support. When they abandoned the Saturn, Sega was dead. No one was going to trust a company that would abandon their latest creation in a year or two. It too bad the Dreamcast suffered from that, since that was easily their best system. It was literally months from profitability when they pulled the plug too.

chadta
02-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Before the last couple batches of consoles, no one had continuing compatibility. The NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube all used different incompatible formats. What doomed Sega was how quickly they abandoned their creations. The back to back release of the 32x and Saturn was the point where they were on the edge of losing support. When they abandoned the Saturn, Sega was dead. No one was going to trust a company that would abandon their latest creation in a year or two. It too bad the Dreamcast suffered from that, since that was easily their best system. It was literally months from profitability when they pulled the plug too.

That was also the time where it went from cartridge based games to cd based games, kinda hard to be backward compatible when using 2 totally different medias. Sony Ps2 plays Ps1 games, they may have actually been the first one to do it, and that was a huge reason i got a PS2.

The wii was just for the kids, and later i found out about how well thought out it was. The Wii, gameboy, and ds were all bought separately, i think nintendo is missing on some good advertising here, cuz i really had no idea just how compatible they were, if i wasnt reading up on how to hack it i may not have even known about it.

serious hops
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
The original NES is still the classic IMO.

gunns
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
I still have a Super Nintendo with 3 games. Still works, I still play it and my grandkids love it. I never moved past it.

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm impressed you ****ing did it. I'm pretty sure I was still "Dogmeat" when I gave up.

Oh yeah, and agreed, Lunar on the SegaCD was awesome.

Yeah bro, there's one transition part where you practically have to memorize where the rats are gonna pop to get past it. After that, it's not nearly as hard. Still retardedly hard, but not AS hard.

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah bro, there's one transition part where you practically have to memorize where the rats are gonna pop to get past it. After that, it's not nearly as hard. Still retardedly hard, but not AS hard.

This is dead on...the game actually got easier towards the later portions

FireFly
02-28-2011, 03:17 PM
The N64 is not getting nearly as much love as I thought it would.

I've gotta say, I'm surprised that the PS3 and 360 are leading.

No love for the Classics!

NES & and N64!

The original Xbox did have some great games imo

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
This is dead on...the game actually got easier towards the later portions

The later monsters were so much bigger and easier to shoot than the rats! I screwed up on the albatross following section once and raged so hard because I didn't think I'd get that far again, but I did.

broncolife
02-28-2011, 03:42 PM
Lunar for Sega CD (not the PS garbage version) is one of the best games I've ever played. Thing was amazing and SO ahead of it's time.

Yeah Lunar was one of my favorite games of all time. Some other games I liked on the sega cd were Dracula unleashed ,Dark wizard, Shining Force and World war 3. Too bad the system froze alot on me.

broncolife
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
I still have a Super Nintendo with 3 games. Still works, I still play it and my grandkids love it. I never moved past it.

Me too. I had the urge to play uncharted waters new horizons and inindo way of the ninja again. So I bought the system again about 2 years ago. I probably had this same urge about 3 times so I have bought the system and same games then sold them about 3 times :)

chadta
02-28-2011, 03:46 PM
ive got a super nintendo, and regular nintendo emulator that i run on the wii for when i wanna rock it old school.

my parents still have the atari 2600 and colecovision that we had when i was a kid, man does it look terrible on a 57 inch screen

jhns
02-28-2011, 04:12 PM
ive got a super nintendo, and regular nintendo emulator that i run on the wii for when i wanna rock it old school.

I just play them on my computer. There are lots of sites to play old nintendo, super nintendo, and sega games on.

http://nintendo8.com/toplist/more/
http://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/index.php?system=snes

Cmac821
02-28-2011, 04:38 PM
I love the ps2, still play it. The durability is crazy and I still clock a lot of time on it, just never really caught on to the ps3

Requiem
02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
I grew up playing the Atari because my grandparents had it and a ton of games from my uncles when they were kids. Great stuff.

Got an NES when I was real young, then an SNES, then a N64 and then a Gamecube.

Bought a XBOX360 when I was a sophomore in college and sold it probably a year and a half later.

I still have my NES, SNES and N64 (atomic purple). I play the N64 on occasion. Play my roommates PS3 sometimes too.

Don't know, just not as interested in video games as I used to be. I've logged in more time on them than usual since this summer, but I just don't get excited about 'em.

Los Broncos
02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I have both PS3 and Xbox and I like the Xbox slighty better.

The Kicent is just cool, I use the PS3 mostly for watching BR movies.

Plus, Xbox live is a much better experience than PS3.

broncolife
02-28-2011, 05:48 PM
I started with
intellvison
atari
coleco

Then
Nes
Sega
Super Nes
Sega Cd
Nintendo 64
Told my mom I didnt want the 32x. I ended up getting it for christmas and I told her to return it.
ps1
Gamecube
Sega Saturn
ps2
Xbox
Xbox360
ps3
Wii

Archer81
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
My mom bought my brothers and I an Atari 2600 at a flea market. At one point we had 40 games with it. We lost it in one of our many moves. Then the Nintendo, which my dad loved because of Duckhunt. Graduated up to SNES and Gameboys, then N64 (over 4th of July weekend the year it came out). That Christmas got my Playstation and its been nearly all Sony since. Except for the Wii I got for the hell of it and have played like 5 times.

:Broncos:

Mr. Elway
02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
Maybe just nostalgia but I had as much fun playing games on the Commodore 64/128 as anything since. Bruce Lee, The Way of the Exploding Fist and Summer/Winter Games started many a friendly brawl in our household. Early on we were booting from the tape deck, and you'd have to watch the weird colored bars flicker for a few minutes while it loaded a single game into ram. Once we got our system dialed in we were booting instantly from floppy and using Wico joysticks. Until Nintendo came along, there was no better setup.

Boobs McGee
02-28-2011, 09:31 PM
I absolutely LOVED the NES for the longest time when I was a youngster. Then, one fateful day, on a birthday/christmas/chore incentive based program, I got my first SNES. Super Mario World was absolutely fascinating to me...one of my fondest in gaming history. All of a sudden, I found the game that still remains at the top of my storied gaming career, Zelda: a Link to the past. That was all she wrote. It was (and still is IMO) the greatest game ever created. It absolutely blew my mind and had me logging COUNTLESS hours getting lost in the enchanted forest looking for the master sword, shooting arrows at moving bales of hay for rupees, and swapping back and forth with a damn mirror to access impossible heights. LOVED it. The first time I played a 64 was in college, and Goldeneye was epic. So many missed classes sniping on snow levels, late nights of multiplayer with goldenguns and paintball turned on. In my spare time, I found a copy of the second best (this could definitely be argued, because of the sheer scope and ingenuity...but the SNES version will always hold a slim margin in my heart because of the awe facto) Zelda game ever, Ocarina of time. Another absolutely INGENIOUS game created by the masters, it was truly a modern marvel of gaming.

Loved the ps2. Logged a ton of hours on the original Xbox.

Now, I'm firmly ensconced in the world of the Ps3, no explanation needed.

SO, for me, the order is:

SNES
PS3
NES
Xbox/360
and a warm shoutout to the atari and Pitfall.

The only game I ever played on Sega was Altered Beast (poweeeeeer UP), and I think I might have tried Bonk's big adventure on the turbografix.