PDA

View Full Version : Vacationing in LA. Any suggestions?

Pages : [1] 2

Kaylore
02-27-2011, 03:46 PM
We're taking a vacation in a few weeks to LA and wanted input on what we should do. My wife wants to see Conan and for some reason check out the LA zoo. Is the zoo any good? Also any good restaurants, places to visit/avoid and just general information? Did any Bronco fans want to meet up for lunch? Lemme know!

Requiem
02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Advice: New vacation destination.

Chris
02-27-2011, 03:48 PM
I hear Compton is quaint. Other than that I don't know much. I've spent three days in LA (Universal Studios, Lakers game, Santa Monica, Star map bus tour of Beverly Hills, that's about it).

If I were you I'd drive to Mulholland drive and check out the awesome mid-century modern homes.

HAT
02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Where are you staying? Kids or just the 2 of you?

Cmac821
02-27-2011, 03:50 PM
edit: no contribution

You can...hmmm....I got nothing

bowtown
02-27-2011, 03:52 PM
The zoo sucks, don't bother. You have to have breakfast or lunch one day at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Definitely spend at least a few hours walking up and down the Venice beach boardwalk (great people watching), and then hit the Santa Monica Prominade. Visit Old Town Pasadina. Although somewhat of a tourist trap, catch a movie at Grauman's Chinese Theater. It's worth it. That should fill about three days, spend the rest of the time in Vegas.

Also, consider buying a new oven with a griddle.

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
02-27-2011, 03:54 PM
http://ldspictures.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/la-temple-christmas.jpg

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/losangeles/images/los-angeles-mormon-temple.jpg

http://www.kendalldavenport.com/los_angeles_temple.jpg

Chris
02-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Any of the art deco architecture would be cool. Most of old LA has been destroyed... but there are still bits and pieces.

Kaylore
02-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for getting this one out of the way early.

Where are you staying? Kids or just the 2 of you?

My wife booked us at Double Tree I think? It's just us. No kids.

The zoo sucks, don't bother. You have to have breakfast or lunch one day at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles. Definitely spend at least a few hours walking up and down the Venice beach boardwalk (great people watching), and then hit the Santa Monica Prominade. Visit Old Town Pasadina. Although somewhat of a tourist trap, catch a movie at Grauman's Chinese Theater. It's worth it. That should fill about three days, spend the rest of the time in Vegas.

Perfect! I'll definitely check those out.

Keep 'em coming, guys.

I'm talking to YOU, Popps.;)

OABB
02-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Just the one wife? Oddly enough I would only suggest a Conan taping. Everything else here is lame.

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Sweet. We definitely have to meet up for lunch...and I promise not to tell Amy about Jimmer or Chris Kuper (fingers crossed)

The zoo is alright I guess...haven't been there in a long time, though. You should go to Santa Monica pier, its a nice ambience, with some decent restaurants (expensive) and entertainment. There's actually a ton of entertainment all over....I wouldnt know specifics tho as I rarely get out much due to work. In terms of food, it depends on your tastes. What types of food do you guys like?

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
02-27-2011, 04:02 PM
http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2010_02_compton.jpg

http://www.doctorhousingbubble.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/1-compton.jpg

HAT
02-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I meant what city or area....Not what hotel chain. :yayaya:

OCBronco
02-27-2011, 04:04 PM
If you hit up the beaches, I recommend making the drive down to Bolsa Chica or Huntington. The beaches in north OC are far less crowded, and just a much better experience, IMHO.

If you have to stay in the West L.A. area, I recommend Manhattan, Hermosa or Marina Del Rey. Venice Beach is a dump, and Santa Monica is overrun with tourists.

As for places to see/avoid, it depends on what you and the family are looking to do.

OABB
02-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Sweet. We definitely have to meet up for lunch...and I promise not to tell Amy about Jimmer or Chris Kuper (fingers crossed)

The zoo is alright I guess...haven't been there in a long time, though. You should go to Santa Monica pier, its a nice ambience, with some decent restaurants (expensive) and entertainment. There's actually a ton of entertainment all over....I wouldnt know specifics tho as I rarely get out much due to work. In terms of food, it depends on your tastes. What types of food do you guys like?

Can I come with you guys!?!?!?

✡✡ JOSHUA ✡✡
02-27-2011, 04:07 PM
http://www.roamingphotos.com/us/ca/losangeles/downtown/IMG_1674.jpg

http://vivirlatino.com/i/2009/01/306303943_cb888ea8ed.jpg

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2007/10/images/HuertaMural.jpg

http://www.drkrm.com/eastside_index.jpg

OCBronco
Agreed here. Also, if you hit up Old Town Pasadena, make a run to Zankou Chicken (a couple blocks from Pasadena City College.)

Also, consider buying a new oven with a griddle.

SoCalBronco
Can I come with you guys!?!?!?

:thumbsup:

It would be great to have a big L.A. Maners lunch with Khan and his wife. That would be awesome.

Kaylore
02-27-2011, 04:09 PM

We'll eat anything. We do like seafood. Looking forward to some real seafood.

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
It's not a well known place since its a small hole in the wall in nearby Temple City (about 10 minutes away from me), but if you are into pizza, I could take you to Mama Petrillo's. They have a really terrific pepporoni and sausage pizza. The pepperoni is smaller and much zestier than regular pepperoni and the sausage is damn good, not the usual processed kind. Best pizza I've ever had (outside of Gino's East in Chicago).

broncogary
02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
:thumbsup:

It would be great to have a big L.A. Maners lunch with Khan and his wife. That would be awesome.

broncocalijohn will probably bring his bowling trophy. :approve:

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 04:13 PM
I would pass on the zoo Kaylore. It's worth driving to San Diego if you want Zoo, Animal Park, Sea World. Trust me on that. But if you just want something to do, see some animals, its not like its a total waste of time to go to teh LA Zoo. Just that SD is 10 times better.

I think you would really enjoy the Getty Museum. It's free and really unbelievably gorgeous.

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
We'll eat anything. We do like seafood. Looking forward to some real seafood.

If you like Seafood, I could take you to Joe's Crab Shack. There's a couple of them in the area, they've got some good stuff. I dont know of too many other seafood places, though (outside of chain stuff, ofcourse).

Kaylore
02-27-2011, 04:16 PM
I meant what city or area....Not what hotel chain. :yayaya:

El Segundo.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Queen Mary in Long Beach is sort of cool trip Khan. Some good places to eat around there etc etc, cool history aboard the ship. Worth seeing if you have never been. Also the natural history museum down by exposition park is pretty cool sometimes if you like that sort of thing.

Venice Beach is worth a quick trip, Santa Monica pier is sort of fun sometimes.

Kaylore
02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Queen Mary in Long Beach is sort of cool trip Khan. Some good places to eat around there etc etc, cool history aboard the ship. Worth seeing if you have never been. Also the natural history museum down by exposition park is pretty cool sometimes if you like that sort of thing.

A few of you have said it's worth a look, but OCBronco said it's a dump. That's pretty polarizing views. Which is it?

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 04:19 PM
For seafood if you want top end I like Delzanos in Redondo Beach.

OBF1
02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
So you are staying basically at LAX. Head just north to visit either/Or Venice Beach and Santa Monica beach/peir.

Chica and I spent this afternoon on the beach at Malibu eating lunch and it was perfect.

Count me in for a lunch get together in any area.

OBF1
02-27-2011, 04:22 PM
A few of you have said it's worth a look, but OCBronco said it's a dump. That's pretty polarizing views. Which is it?

OC lives behind the "Orange Curtain" (orange county)those people of biased. At your age, Venice and Santa Monica are a great experience.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Hmmm It's never seemed dumpy to me? Always clean, good staff, Winstons a pretty good top end restaurant. Not sure I would want to stay there because the rooms probably aren't that great. But the whole Rainbow Harbor, Queen Mary area IMO is worth a trip if you like that sort of thing. If a big old ship that has a ton of US history not your thing etc etc I would maybe do something else. You probably have limited time.

I have sent like 100 people to the Getty Museum though and everyone always is impressed.

Queen Mary, Long Beach, that's my hometown so maybe people from OC see it different. We usually just kick there asses when they come to the LBC. :strong:

IN the OC there is Disneyland, and mmmmmm well a bunch of expensive houses and some nice places to eat, drink, and shop. Oh and golf. That's about it though.

Kaylore
02-27-2011, 04:23 PM
We'll be there the 18th-22nd. Probably Saturday or Sunday are the best for everyone I'm thinking? We did want to go somewhere nicer, but would entertain simpler venues if the food is outstanding. Looking more for great food than great ambiance. We like to eat.

Popps
02-27-2011, 04:26 PM
We're taking a vacation in a few weeks to LA and wanted input on what we should do. My wife wants to see Conan and for some reason check out the LA zoo. Is the zoo any good? Also any good restaurants, places to visit/avoid and just general information? Did any Bronco fans want to meet up for lunch? Lemme know!

The LA Zoo is adequate, at best. Just went again last week with the kids. It's enjoyable, because it's a zoo... but if you've been to zoos like the St. Louis Zoo, it pales in comparison.

Seeing Conan will be fun. Other possibilities...

Get out to the beach: Zuma, Malibu, etc. On the downside, it could be pretty cool this time of year. If the weather is cool, you could still enjoy the scenery by grabbing a bite at a place like Gladstones (Nicer) or Dukes. (More casual.)

It sort of depends what you're into... are you guys big movie buffs? Obviously lots out here in that regard... you could hit Universal City Walk, etc. You could book the tour over at Warner Bros. and see the lots where they do a lot of shooting.

LA has a ton of great museums and botanical gardens, too. LACMA is nice, and it's free one day a week. (Can't recall which.) I'd also highly suggest The Hunnington (Pasadena) or Norton Simon (Pasadena). Both are museums with outdoor attractions. A smaller option along those lines would be Descanco Gardens (sp) .... pretty cool little museum, botanical garden. Nice relaxing place.

But, one of... if not the coolest things to hit in LA is the Getty Center. Read up on it. It's a massive museum. The architecture alone is unreal. They've got a huge impressionist room (where I proposed to my wife), tons of other features... you can dine there and it's got a lot of wow-factor if you're trying to show the wife a good time.
It's world renowned.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, of course. You could try to nab Lakers or Kings tickets, hit some famous clubs (Whiskey, etc.) .... I mean, it just depends what you're into. You name it, and it's here... or close.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 04:26 PM
OC lives behind the "Orange Curtain" (orange county)those people of biased. At your age, Venice and Santa Monica are a great experience.

Yep!! Now if you want to live in a great house, with low crime, move to the OC. If you want to have fun and be around a more mixed society then stay in LA/LBC etc. I tend to not like the live bands that play in OC, to rock, not enough soul.

Even the Jazz tends to be smooth jazz. If you want str8 ahead bop you still gotta go to LA or the Valley.

Kaylore tell me what kind of music you like, and if you have a night that sounds good I will scout out the clubs and see if anything fits the bill. If you just like good top end jazz, or high end top 40 stuff let me know and i could tell you some places to check out.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
The LA Zoo is adequate, at best. Just went again last week with the kids. It's enjoyable, because it's a zoo... but if you've been to zoos like the St. Louis Zoo, it pales in comparison.

Seeing Conan will be fun. Other possibilities...

Get out to the beach: Zuma, Malibu, etc. On the downside, it could be pretty cool this time of year. If the weather is cool, you could still enjoy the scenery by grabbing a bite at a place like Gladstones (Nicer) or Dukes. (More casual.)

It sort of depends what you're into... are you guys big movie buffs? Obviously lots out here in that regard... you could hit Universal City Walk, etc. You could book the tour over at Warner Bros. and see the lots where they do a lot of shooting.

LA has a ton of great museums and botanical gardens, too. LACMA is nice, and it's free one day a week. (Can't recall which.) I'd also highly suggest The Hunnington (Pasadena) or Norton Simon (Pasadena). Both are museums with outdoor attractions. A smaller option along those lines would be Descanco Gardens (sp) .... pretty cool little museum, botanical garden. Nice relaxing place.

But, one of... if not the coolest things to hit in LA is the Getty Center. Read up on it. It's a massive museum. The architecture alone is unreal. They've got a huge impressionist room, tons of other features... you can dine there and it's got a lot of wow-factor if you're trying to show the wife a good time.
It's world renowned.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, of course. You could try to nab Lakers or Kings tickets, hit some famous clubs (Whiskey, etc.) .... I mean, it just depends what you're into. You name it, and it's here... or close.

Kaylore take head. When all these LA locals say Getty!!! Don't miss it. It's just a must see if you are in LA. It's on of the places I will take out of country clients of my brothers because I know it will impress and make the city look good.

titan
02-27-2011, 04:29 PM
If you like movies the Universal Backstage tour is great (they've been making movies there for a long long time - a number of classic sets are on the tour). The Universal theme park has some good rides, too. One price gets you into the tour and the theme park.

Popps
02-27-2011, 04:32 PM
Kaylore take head. When all these LA locals say Getty!!! Don't miss it. It's just a must see if you are in LA. It's on of the places I will take out of country clients of my brothers because I know it will impress and make the city look good.

Oh, and in a city where everything costs 3x as much as it should... the Getty is free, which just astounds me.

Kaylore
02-27-2011, 04:35 PM
So the Getty just got added to my to-do list. I knew this thread would yield some great stuff. You guys are awesome.:egbgb:

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
PS Khan...if you go to Disneyland ...make sure you bring a wheelchair or rent one, there's a wheelchair rental area right next to the ticket area. You can switch off sitting in it depending on which you land you are in so that they don't figure out you're pulling a scam. If you don't go with the wheelchair, you'll only be able to ride like 5 rides the whole day due to the crowds, whereas with a wheelchair you will be able to double that.

Only bad thing about Disneyland is that it has gotten to be kind of expensive lately. I think its running about 66-70 bucks a person and as you might expect, the food in the park is underwhelming and overpriced.

Shananahan
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Kaylore take head.
Whoa now.

HAT
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
El Segundo.

Don't lose your wallet. :sunshine:

I'm in OC so I'm basically an LA tourist as well but when friends and family come in, these are some of things we end up doing......

I'd echo the sentiments to skip Venice & Santa Monica. For 'beachy' things....

Take a drive up PCH to Malibu & have a meal or cocktails at Gladstones.

Or head South to Manhattan or Hermosa beaches. It's about 2 miles from pier to pier & you can rent bikes and ride from one to the other right on the sand...Plenty of eats, drinks & shops at the base area of both.

Another cool drive is around Palos Verdes from South Redondo to San Pedro. San Pedro is a dump but from there you can easily head to Long Beach for: Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary, Shoreline Village, etc.

I haven't been to the zoo in ages but it was never very great. Griffith Park in general has other cool stuff though. Observatory, etc. There's some stables there called Sunset Ranch & they have sunset & dinner rides with spectacular views of the entire city from the hills around the Hollywood sign.

Other LA standards google:

Getty Center, Olveras Street, LA Live, Farmer's Market/The Grove, Universal CityWalk, Old Towne Pasadena, Hollywood & Highland.

serious hops
02-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Keep an eye out for Raider fans-- you don't want to get stabbed.

DeusExManning
02-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Eat dinner at Captain Jacks it in southern LA county more in Long Beach near Orange County, best sea food in the country, best Crab Legs in the world.

OABB
02-27-2011, 05:31 PM
I just realized how little I like LA. Bummer.

TonyR
02-27-2011, 05:31 PM
Rent bikes near Santa Monica and cruise down to Venice Beach and up to Malibu. It's a nice and easy ride on the wide beach sidewalks.

Take a drive through Beverly Hills, maybe a walk up and down Rodeo Drive.

Hit In-N-Out Burger on Sunset Blvd.

Check out Hollywood Blvd.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 05:42 PM
LA is kind of a weird place to visit because, tourist wise, theres probably not much to do. Venice Beach and Santa Monica pier are kinda touristy and underwhelming but its something to do. If you want an AMAZING seafood meal, and have 300-400 to spend on a meal, try Providence in Hollywood. There are some lower priced (much lower) options in Malibu that arent bad. If you find yourself at the Grove (its an outdoor mall), im right down the street

There's always Disneyland too.

HAT
02-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Hmmm It's never seemed dumpy to me? Always clean, good staff, Winstons a pretty good top end restaurant. Not sure I would want to stay there because the rooms probably aren't that great. But the whole Rainbow Harbor, Queen Mary area IMO is worth a trip if you like that sort of thing. If a big old ship that has a ton of US history not your thing etc etc I would maybe do something else. You probably have limited time.

OCBronco was calling Venice & Santa Monica pier a dump....Not the shoreline areas of Long Beach.

That One Guy
02-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Rent a white Bronco and go for a stroll?

That One Guy
02-27-2011, 05:55 PM
LA is kind of a weird place to visit because, tourist wise, theres probably not much to do. Venice Beach and Santa Monica pier are kinda touristy and underwhelming but its something to do. If you want an AMAZING seafood meal, and have 300-400 to spend on a meal, try Providence in Hollywood. There are some lower priced (much lower) options in Malibu that arent bad. If you find yourself at the Grove (its an outdoor mall), im right down the street

There's always Disneyland too.

Normal people actually spend 300-400 on a single meal?

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 05:58 PM
PS Khan...if you go to Disneyland ...make sure you bring a wheelchair or rent one, there's a wheelchair rental area right next to the ticket area. You can switch off sitting in it depending on which you land you are in so that they don't figure out you're pulling a scam. If you don't go with the wheelchair, you'll only be able to ride like 5 rides the whole day due to the crowds, whereas with a wheelchair you will be able to double that.

Only bad thing about Disneyland is that it has gotten to be kind of expensive lately. I think its running about 66-70 bucks a person and as you might expect, the food in the park is underwhelming and overpriced.

Please don't take this advice

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Eat dinner at Captain Jacks it in southern LA county more in Long Beach near Orange County, best sea food in the country, best Crab Legs in the world.

Yep this is close to where I live. It's actually Sunset Beach on Pacific Coat Highway. Very good seafood with and old school atmosphere.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 05:59 PM
Normal people actually spend 300-400 on a single meal?

I do on occasion (well, it was 300 -400 for two). They arent meals, they are experiences...but yeah, its a lot. But its quite memorable and very good.

That One Guy
02-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Please don't take this advice

I wasn't sure if that was serious or not and was too lazy to look up the not sure if serious pic.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 06:01 PM
OCBronco was calling Venice & Santa Monica pier a dump....Not the shoreline areas of Long Beach.

Ahhh ok I though Khan was saying he though Queen Mary area was a dump.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 06:03 PM
As far as dumping big money on meals yes we do sometimes. We are really stupid in California. :) But not 300 on one person. More like a group of 4 can easily hit 600.00.

TheReverend
02-27-2011, 06:04 PM
If you're set on a zoo and will have a rental car, hit the SD zoo for one of your days and itll give you an opportunity to spend an evening there before driving back up too (its not THAT far).

I personally prefer San Diego to LA, but a lot of great ideas have already been listed in this thread so I dont really have anything to add as far as LA is concerned. Sit down with the wife and decide which ones you want to pursue.

TheReverend
02-27-2011, 06:05 PM

Haha they ARE a dump, but still worth going to at least once, imo.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Oh, and in a city where everything costs 3x as much as it should... the Getty is free, which just astounds me.

That's how the rich ****er wanted it! Yep all free. It makes a great day because you hit the getty up, then feel like you can spend more on a nice restaurant because the day stuff was so cheap.

I like to smoke a big fat kush joint, then walk the garden. :afro:

TheReverend
02-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Fast pass changed the game!

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 06:07 PM
Fast pass changed the game!

Fastpass is not that great.

My idea is more efficient. ;D

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 06:10 PM

haha more efficient, but also diabolical :)

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 06:11 PM
As far as dumping big money on meals yes we do sometimes. We are really stupid in California. :) But not 300 on one person. More like a group of 4 can easily hit 600.00.

haha go to Urasawa if you like Sushi. Thats 300 per person (all omekase style) but my ****ing god...heaven

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 06:13 PM
haha more efficient, but also diabolical :)

Indeed. It's worked every time though (usually with groups of 3-4 people, we each take the wheelchair for a given land). :)

TheReverend
02-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Way more efficient, but I could never bring myself to do it! When I took my kiddo to Disney World to celebrate her Kindergarten graduation last year (yes I spoil the **** out of her), we fast passed space mountain every time it was up and then just rotated splash and thunder while we waited and ended the day having ridden a TON of rides.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Way more efficient, but I could never bring myself to do it! When I took my kiddo to Disney World to celebrate her Kindergarten graduation last year (yes I spoil the **** out of her), we fast passed space mountain every time it was up and then just rotated splash and thunder while we waited and ended the day having ridden a TON of rides.

Smart move. Ive actually never fast passed...i kinda enjoy waiting in the lines, provided im with a friend i like talking to. I know thats weird.

That One Guy
02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
I took a weeklong trip to Disney a while back and refused to pay the extra for the fastpass out of principle. If I already paid as much as I did, there was no way I was gonna be extorted for more money. Long about day 3, my wife told me it was free or included or whatever... it was on then.

Disney needs more booze.

That One Guy
02-27-2011, 06:26 PM
haha go to Urasawa if you like Sushi. Thats 300 per person (all omekase style) but my ****ing god...heaven

I honestly can't fathom something being so good it's worth $300 per person. I try to imagine what could be so good and showtunes just start playing in my head.

Back to ideas for LA, lay on the sidewalk and let someone draw you in chalk? I guess that's probably included in all vacations there but I'm not sure.

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
300.00 a person is a bit much.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Yeah I think that is a little over my budget but maybe someday for a special night I will try it. Sounds like a blast....to my wallet.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 06:35 PM
I took a weeklong trip to Disney a while back and refused to pay the extra for the fastpass out of principle. If I already paid as much as I did, there was no way I was gonna be extorted for more money. Long about day 3, my wife told me it was free or included or whatever... it was on then.

Disney needs more booze.

took my g/f and her kid to universal studios last summer, got us all fast passes, then saw they sold those big cans of fosters lager all over. Man I was so plowed by end of the day she had to drive home. It was like 100 degrees, super cold fosters, no lines, man it was a great time.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
I honestly can't fathom something being so good it's worth $300 per person. I try to imagine what could be so good and showtunes just start playing in my head.

Back to ideas for LA, lay on the sidewalk and let someone draw you in chalk? I guess that's probably included in all vacations there but I'm not sure.

Well to be good at understanding you have to look at things from outside your value system. For instance I have friends who will put a lot of money into motorcycles, then go out and ride, sometimes get injured and miss work, costs, them more money, break bike, spend more, upgrade bike. To me a waste of money but then I realize like is boring and they are looking for a rush. So it's worth it to them.

Other people get into music and spend money on equipment that costs 3 times what they will make back playing as a pro. That is me. LOL! but I also like to go out to a fancy dinner, get 3-4 bottles of expensive wine or sake, maybe some high end whiskey, and blow a bunch of money.

I'm sure there are things you spend 300 bucks on other people would see as a waste.

TheReverend
02-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Smart move. Ive actually never fast passed...i kinda enjoy waiting in the lines, provided im with a friend i like talking to. I know thats weird.

Well you still get the same amount of time to talk in lines in the big picture... just a handful more rides throughout the day that you didnt have to wait for :)

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Well to be good at understanding you have to look at things from outside your value system. For instance I have friends who will put a lot of money into motorcycles, then go out and ride, sometimes get injured and miss work, costs, them more money, break bike, spend more, upgrade bike. To me a waste of money but then I realize like is boring and they are looking for a rush. So it's worth it to them.

Other people get into music and spend money on equipment that costs 3 times what they will make back playing as a pro. That is me. LOL! but I also like to go out to a fancy dinner, get 3-4 bottles of expensive wine or sake, maybe some high end whiskey, and blow a bunch of money.

I'm sure there are things you spend 300 bucks on other people would see as a waste.

Yeah, placing a value on an experience is a tricky thing. Obviously some big purchases have practical value (clothes, cars, computers, etc), but as far as meals, concerts, vacations, etc etc...we all blow money on them and none are justifiable beyond "we wanted to have a good time" Some people just see eating as a functional thing, i dont.

That One Guy
02-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Oh, I'm not trying to criticize. Just in awe and didn't know real people did it. I forgot to take my fishing poles in after I tore a hole in my kayak and was so pissed I never went and got em. Probably ruined $700 in bass reels just because I was pissed. We all have our things but just can't fathom how food can be better than the $25 a person trip to Carrabbas.

broncosteven
02-27-2011, 08:06 PM

I have sent like 100 people to the Getty Museum though and everyone always is impressed.

Queen Mary, Long Beach, that's my hometown so maybe people from OC see it different. We usually just kick there asses when they come to the LBC. :strong:

IN the OC there is Disneyland, and mmmmmm well a bunch of expensive houses and some nice places to eat, drink, and shop. Oh and golf. That's about it though.

The one time I was in LA I went to the Queen Mary and the Getty, but back then the Spruce Goose was in LB so that shows how long ago that was but I would recommend the Getty. If you have time walk down by the stars walk of fame and go to a movie at Graumans(sp) Check the show times I hear they run ST II a lot late at night.

broncosteven
02-27-2011, 08:13 PM
...Other people get into music and spend money on equipment that costs 3 times what they will make back playing as a pro. That is me. LOL! ...

Me too, nothing like Gear lust

serious hops
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM

You should get a happy ending at that price.

cutthemdown
02-27-2011, 08:29 PM
Oh, I'm not trying to criticize. Just in awe and didn't know real people did it. I forgot to take my fishing poles in after I tore a hole in my kayak and was so pissed I never went and got em. Probably ruined $700 in bass reels just because I was pissed. We all have our things but just can't fathom how food can be better than the $25 a person trip to Carrabbas.

Dude i have the worst fishing luck ever. Planned a big sea bass trip, everyone caught a big sea bass, I catch 2 100 pound bat rays lol. Deck hand said i was just unlucky. Second one I just took deck hands word for it and didn't reel it all the way in. But they bit for like 1 hr then it was over.

Then on another trip I had this huge yellowtail but my lack of experience led me to not get its head turned around quick enough and it got into the kelp. After that it was over.

Fishing is a lot harder then it would seem. You can get lucky but to really land the big ones, in a tough spot, you have to be quick and not waste any time wondering what to do.

When I went to mexico it was easy, you could keep a fish on for a long time and they wouldnt break you off. At the islands here in so calif its not as easy.

Khan if you like boat rides and islands Catalina is really nice.

OABB
02-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Catalina is a good call. Took the wife there. Renting jet skis in redondo is a blast too. They have a jetboat too. There is nothing more fun than jetskiing in the pacific IMO. It's at kings harbor. Definately fun.

HAT
02-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Catalina is a good call. Took the wife there.

Whale watching trips are in full effect right now too since the Grays are migrating.

I third Catalina. That's a nice full day of SoCal lifestyle. Boat ride over, golf cart tours, kayak around the harbor, para-sailing, zip lines or just booze it up at the beach club and have a leisurely lunch.

broncocalijohn
02-27-2011, 09:04 PM
broncocalijohn will probably bring his bowling trophy. :approve:

Why would I want to rub it in and let them know that my 140 or so average that day was the sheat! I would recommend heading down to Orange County also and see what taxpayers can actually do with their money on roads. Huntington Beach (downtown) is fun to walk around. Do the touristy stuff but find out what is hot to the locals. Best of LA and Best of Orange County (google it) can help you in that area. I thought about the idea of meeting up for Maners lunch or dinner but I dont do LA. Have fun and try staying away from the 10 freeway unless you enjoy traffic.

*WARHORSE*
02-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Suggestions: Dont breathe. Dont drink the water.

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 09:33 PM
I thought about the idea of meeting up for Maners lunch or dinner but I dont do LA.

Come on man, it's just one lunch. Come on down. I'd even be willing to pretend that the Ducks are a decent team...for an hour or two. :)

Boobs McGee
02-27-2011, 09:41 PM
If you guys like seafood, some of the tastiest I've ever had in california is at Las Brisas, down in Laguna Beach. Perched right along PCH overlooking the ocean...delicious (and affordable) food, they were just redoing the exterior patio when I was down there a few months back. There are some great trails that'll take you down the beach for some exploring, and laguna itself is a fun place to walk around. If you're lucky, the Sawdust festival might be going too.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 09:52 PM
Come on man, it's just one lunch. Come on down. I'd even be willing to pretend that the Ducks are a decent team...for an hour or two. :)

If there is some group dinner outing, lemme know!

SoCalBronco
02-27-2011, 10:04 PM
If there is some group dinner outing, lemme know!

Alright bro. We gotta see what Khan wants to do.

I'm actually kinda getting excited about this. Haven't seen Khan for almost two years and since August camp is probably going to be cancelled, there goes that, which upsets me. I really was looking forward to getting out to camp and meeting the Maners there again, esp after I missed last year, but that may not happen now, which sucks. Having Khan come down here and maybe getting some OM'ers together for a nice dinner or lunch would be neat.

broncocalijohn
02-27-2011, 10:05 PM
If you guys like seafood, some of the tastiest I've ever had in california is at Las Brisas, down in Laguna Beach. Perched right along PCH overlooking the ocean...delicious (and affordable) food, they were just redoing the exterior patio when I was down there a few months back. There are some great trails that'll take you down the beach for some exploring, and laguna itself is a fun place to walk around. If you're lucky, the Sawdust festival might be going too.

Laguna Beach is highly recommended but Sawdust Festival hits in the Summer. Great restuarants and beaches. One of you LA guys send Khan some Entertainment book coupons of activities and good restuarants.

Let us all be neutral then and meet on 2nd street in Long Beach. As for your Duckies comment, we won with our new goalie! Sucks not to have hillis in there. Went from 2nd to last in 4 games.

OABB
02-27-2011, 10:13 PM

I'm actually kinda getting excited about this. Haven't seen Khan for almost two years and since August camp is probably going to be cancelled, there goes that, which upsets me. I really was looking forward to getting out to camp and meeting the Maners there again, esp after I missed last year, but that may not happen now, which sucks. Having Khan come down here and maybe getting some OM'ers together for a nice dinner or lunch would be neat.

I am excited too. Whose paying for me?

HAT
02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
I am excited too. Whose paying for me?

Bronco Vixen.

HAT
02-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Let us all be neutral then and meet on 2nd street in Long Beach. .

2nd St. / Belmont is actually a good central location for most SoCal 'Maners I'd imagine.....LA & OC included.

That's opening weekend of March Madness though so be prepared for most sportsbar type joints to be packed. if it's a weekend lunch type thing.

worm
02-27-2011, 10:27 PM
I have eaten at Las Brisas in Laguna a ton of times. IMO, the food is decent...not spectacular...but it is a million dollar view. Happy hour there rocks. Gladstones in Malibu that Popps mentioned is another place with decent food....but million dollar ambiance. I would go to both places if scenery is your priority and pass on both if food is.

Cruising down the coast is fun. So is Balboa Island if you are deciding to include the OC in your trip. While SoCal prolly will have you go to Matt Dennys and John would have you visit the Iron Mule (or his unibomber cabin)....my entertainment vote would be to hit up the Magic Castle one night in Hollywood (not for dinner and not on Sunday). Bet your wife would love it. You need to find a connection to get in.

The Catalina or Channel Islands idea is a lot of fun if you are the outdoors type. Catalina is a blast from the past (even if the Descanso bar has been taken over by hood rats during the summer). The Channel Islands are wild, remote and one of my favorite places in Cai. However, both trips would take a major investment in your limited time to get there.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Agreed

OABB
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Bronco Vixen.

Well in that case let's go to Houston's for some filet.

OABB
02-27-2011, 10:35 PM
2nd St. / Belmont is actually a good central location for most SoCal 'Maners I'd imagine.....LA & OC included.

That's opening weekend of March Madness though so be prepared for most sportsbar type joints to be packed. if it's a weekend lunch type thing.

I'm packing my nina if we go to the lbc.

strafen
02-27-2011, 10:38 PM
broncocalijohn will probably bring his bowling trophy. :approve:Haha!
That'll be funny! Ha!

HAT
02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm packing my nina if we go to the lbc.

Psssh. Belmont Shores is hardly the LBC....More like Seal Beach North.

broncocalijohn
02-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Psssh. Belmont Shores is hardly the LBC....More like Seal Beach North.

This is going out to Khan, like he would know the difference. As for Long Beach, we annex them for all the cool stuff. It is hardly L.A.

schaaf
02-27-2011, 11:49 PM
I do on occasion (well, it was 300 -400 for two). They arent meals, they are experiences...but yeah, its a lot. But its quite memorable and very good.

If I was ever to pay $300 dollars for a meal I better get one hell of a blowjob too

Kaylore
02-28-2011, 05:56 AM
I gotta hack things out with my wife, but once we do I can pick a day we can all meet. Our vacation is from the 18th through the 22nd. Ideally we could all meet up somewhere from the 19th to the 21st. If everyone that wants to come could please say what day and time works best for them, it would be really helpful in nailing something down that works best for everyone.

BroncoMatt
02-28-2011, 07:14 AM
I am up in Bakersfield, I would love to meet up for a Mane lunch. If something is set please let me know and I will try to make it.

TailgateNut
02-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Bring a ventilator and some particulate masks.

mkporter
02-28-2011, 07:41 AM
Catalina is a good call. Took the wife there. Renting jet skis in redondo is a blast too. They have a jetboat too. There is nothing more fun than jetskiing in the pacific IMO. It's at kings harbor. Definately fun.

Chicks love the Catalina trip. It's a must do. Also, go get a strawberry donut at Donut Man in Glendora. It will change your life. And then come down to SD to see a real zoo.

crawdad
02-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Why would I want to rub it in and let them know that my 140 or so average that day was the sheat! I would recommend heading down to Orange County also and see what taxpayers can actually do with their money on roads. Huntington Beach (downtown) is fun to walk around. Do the touristy stuff but find out what is hot to the locals. Best of LA and Best of Orange County (google it) can help you in that area. I thought about the idea of meeting up for Maners lunch or dinner but I dont do LA. Have fun and try staying away from the 10 freeway unless you enjoy traffic.

Definately with you on Hunting Beach..great place!

The number one thing you have to do is "IN 'N OUT. Best Burgers and fries anywhere. My G/F did the Graveyard Tour in Hollywood and said it was wonderful!

La Brea Tarpits is interesting

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 07:44 AM
Definately with you on Hunting Beach..great place!

The number one thing you have to do is "IN 'N OUT. Best Burgers and fries anywhere. My G/F did the Graveyard Tour in Hollywood and said it was wonderful!

La Brea Tarpits is interesting

Sorry. In n out is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO overrated

crawdad
02-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Sorry. In n out is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO overrated

Sorry to disagree with you and perhaps you prefer Tommy's but In 'N Out is a great value for a super burger and fries!

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 08:02 AM
Sorry to disagree with you and perhaps you prefer Tommy's but In 'N Out is a great value for a super burger and fries!

"Great value", I'll agree with. "Best anywhere", is ridiculous. It MIGHT approach "Best fast food burger", but I'd probably even give that nod to Five Guys over In n out.

Kaylore
02-28-2011, 08:24 AM
I agree, it is overrated. At the end of the day it's just a fast food joint, but people talk about it like Jesus works there. I can make a better burger at home very quickly. It's good fast food, I like their shakes, but definitely not as awesome as people pretend it is.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I dont ever eat burgers, but everyone tells me Umami Burger in LA is pretty amazing.

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 08:34 AM
I dont ever eat burgers, but everyone tells me Umami Burger in LA is pretty amazing.

Read an article on it the other day and dying to try it.

Rohirrim
02-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Listen, Khan, I was born and raised out there. Don't listen to these people. The best thing to do is hang out at the beach. Go to Manhattan and spend a day just sitting there on the beach watching the ocean. Walk up Manhattan Bch Blvd for some nice little bars and dining spots for lunch. Venice and Santa Monica are tourist traps. If you're in El Segundo, go down to El Porto, which is right next door, and watch the sunset. People gather there almost every day to watch the sun set over the Pacific. It's like right out of City of Angels. The surfers are out catching the evening glass. On the best days, it can be magical. The best fish is found at San Pedro Fresh Fish in Ports O'Call down in San Pedro. Nice place to stroll and shop too. There's also a place called Captain Kidd's in King Harbor (Redondo) that's okay. You pick what you want, they grill it, you sit outside on benches and eat while you watch the boats sail in and out of the harbor. They might still have boat trips out of the Redondo Harbor you can catch. It's a nice couple of hours just cruising out on the sea.

The trip to Catalina is nice too. You can catch the boat out of San Pedro, sometimes you see flying fish, blue sharks, porpoises and even whales on the trip over. In the old days you could catch the Grumman Goose, which was awesome. Spend a day in Avalon. Very nice. Nice restaurants and shops over there and you can rent little paddle boats and play in the harbor. Cruising up the coast through Malibu is nice, but don't try it on the weekend. Disneyland is pure suck. Forget about it. Universal Studios is much better, if you like amusement parks. The zoo is a waste. If you've seen one, you've seen them all (except for San Diego Zoo, which is exceptional). If you had enough days I would recommend a trip out to Joshua Tree in the desert, but if the schedule is tight, just stick to the beach.

When I go out there, I rent a room at the Sea Sprite motel on 10th St. in Hermosa Beach. Simple. Right on The Strand. Central to all the places I want to go. Last time we went out there, I went to the Redondo Pier fish market, bought a bunch of seafood, took it back to the motel (they have kitchens) and made some bouillabaisse. The best idea is to keep it simple and enjoy the beach and the sea. That's the best part of So Cal anyway.

OABB
02-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Funny, I think five guys is overrated.

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 09:11 AM

It is. In n out is just even more overrated.

Boobs McGee
02-28-2011, 09:12 AM

My thoughts exactly. And their "spicy" fries taste like something I could **** out after a hard night of drinking

Smiling Assassin27
02-28-2011, 09:28 AM

I concur. Queen Mary's a cool site and the Long Beach Aquarium's kinda nice, too. Seal Beach is a great little beach town without the dregs and swine of, say, Huntington Beach. Getty Museum is nice but I'd recommend the Getty Villa in Malibu, then over to Gladstone's for lobster on the shore.

OABB
02-28-2011, 09:30 AM
It is. In n out is just even more overrated.

I think in and outs fries are like flaccid grandpa cocks, but I love that burger.

You know what's an underrated burger? Carls jr. Those are better than I thought.

Jason in LA
There has been a lot of good advice in this thread, and some ideas I would pass on, like driving to San Diego or Orange County. Traffic here sucks, so you probably don't want to burn an entire day just to go to the San Diego Zoo or to go to the beaches in the OC.

For the tourist places, Venice Beach is cool, mostly because of all the weird people you'll see. It is a very interesting place. I wouldn't suggest getting in the water. It's freezing cold, and it has been chilly here in LA as of late. But walking the boardwalk is cool. Take a camera and you'll get some interesting photos. Santa Monica Pier, I'd skip it. If you do Venice what's the point of doing the pier? South Bay beaches like Hermosa are cool.

Museum wise, like it's been stated already, the Getty and LACMA. Across the street from the LACMA is the Peterson Auto museum, so you can knock out two museums on one trip.

As far as night life, there is a ton to do. It all depends what you're into. If you're a club person, there are a ton of those. If you're more of a lounge or local bar person, there are a ton of those. If you want to see some local bands there are a lot of small clubs for that.

If you and the wife want to go dancing, you can do the club scene without all the long lines, whack doormen, and entry fees. The big time clubs are really annoying. If you're not on a list you're not getting in, and even if you're on a list you'll be waiting outside for a while. But there are a number of clubs that I know that are more low key that you can get in with a very short wait and without a door charge. If you're interested in something like that I can send you a list of places. Clubs are actually fun when you don't have to put up with all the BS in getting in. If you want to do the bigger clubs, you have to get on a promoters list. I know a couple that I can send you.

As far as bars go, there are a ton of them. My favorite bar is this Irish Pub called Tom Bergins. It's an awesome place, and the people are pretty cool. They have a jukebox that plays cool music, and the drinks aren't much (cheaper than club prices). My second favorite spot is this bar/restaurant called Lola's in West Hollywood. It's a martini bar, so a lot of women love it, and the menu is cool.

Lounges, the Edison in Downtown is really cool. One of my favorite spots, and they have live music there often. The lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel is awesome, and it's cool to say that you're hanging out there. Your friends will be jealous. Another cool spot is the bar in the lobby at the Roosevelt Hotel in Hollywood. It's on Hollywood Blvd, so you can walk around that area, seeing the Chinese Theater and the Walk of Fame and all that tourist stuff, then have a drink at the Roosevelt.

One cool evening would be to go to this lounge in Santa Monica called The Penthouse and then walk over to this blues club called Harvelle's. Both locations are in the area of the 3rd Street Promenade. The Penthouse if free to get in and you can see views of the ocean on one side and the city on the other side. Then you can talk a walk along 3rd Steet, and Harvelle's is about three blocks away. The few times I've been to Harvelle's I've had a blast. Live blues music is hard to find and it is really awesome.

A couple other spots that has live music is Zanziabar in Santa Monica and The Mint, which is in the mid city area. http://www.themintla.com/ http://www.zanzibarlive.com/

There is one newspaper called Brand X that has listings for live music, and pretty much all non tourist things to do out here. Here's a link to their website. http://www.thisisbrandx.com/ You'll find a lot of cool stuff to do from that site.

In Downtown, LA Live is a cool spot. ESPN Zone, Staples Center, a lot of restaurants, a few clubs, live performances. The Conga Room and Lucky Strikes bowling ally are cool. Lucky Strikes really has a lounge feel to it, and the Grammy Museum is at LA Live too. If you're not taking in a game then you can just go down there to hang out. Here's their website. http://lalive.com/ There might be some shows you want to check out while you're here. You can really spend an entire evening at LA Live and do a lot of different things. The Lakers, Clippers, and Kings all have home games on the dates you gave.

The only high priced tourist thing that's outside of LA that I'd suggest would Disneyland. Yeah, it's expensive and a bit of a drive, but if you've never been to LA, you kind of have to go. And women seem to love all that stuff. I'd strongly suggest going on a week day if you can. I'd pass on Universal Studios. I've only been there twice, and haven't been since I was like 17.

I'm sure I can think of some other stuff.

Smiling Assassin27
The trip to Catalina is nice too. You can catch the boat out of San Pedro, sometimes you see flying fish, blue sharks, porpoises and even whales on the trip over.

I concur. Avalon's a cool little place.

Butterscotch Stallion
02-28-2011, 10:05 AM
I just realized how little I like LA. Bummer.

Me too with douche nozzle residents like Charlie Sheen who would want to bring their family here, nah.

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc6c232c" classid="clsid:<param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=41825237&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc6c232c" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=41825237&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

OABB
02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Me too with douche nozzle residents like Charlie Sheen who would want to bring their family here, nah.

<object width="420" height="245" id="msnbc6c232c" classid="clsid:<param name="movie" value="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" /><param name="FlashVars" value="launch=41825237&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><embed name="msnbc6c232c" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32545640" width="420" height="245" FlashVars="launch=41825237&amp;width=420&amp;height=245" allowscriptaccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 420px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">breaking news</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">world news</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">news about the economy</a></p>

I can't play this on my iPod. I'll watch it later. But all I can say is I want to party with that man just for one night.

Butterscotch Stallion
02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I can't play this on my iPod. I'll watch it later. But all I can say is I want to party with that man just for one night.

I'm thinking he might be bipolar.

Jason in LA
02-28-2011, 10:23 AM

That point of view is one of the silliest that I ever see. Anybody living in LA, or coming here to visit, will not be hanging out with douche celebrities, and if they stay away from the really popular clubs, they will be able to avoid the fake people out here. I go out all the time and I don't come across the douches very often.

Butterscotch Stallion
02-28-2011, 10:27 AM
That point of view is one of the silliest that I ever see. Anybody living in LA, or coming here to visit, will not be hanging out with douche celebrities, and if they stay away from the really popular clubs, they will be able to avoid the fake people out here. I go out all the time and I don't come across the douches very often.

Really?
:thumbs:

OABB
02-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Sheen is a guy that made it. There are plenty of non succsessful actors that party like that you'll be sitting right next to at the club... Or the mall. This town is more Charlie sheen than you or I.

Meck77
02-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Kahn if you don't mind me piggy backing your thread....

I could use some advice on San Fran Ca. Going to be flying there in March then heading north to a couple of hot spring resorts. Could use some city advice though. Dining? Entertainment. Also looking for a nice beach town or two to crash at as we make our way back down the coast to San Fran. Thanks!

broncogary
02-28-2011, 10:34 AM

I could use some advice on San Fran Ca. Going to be flying there in March then heading north to a couple of hot spring resorts. Could use some city advice though. Dining? Entertainment. Also looking for a nice beach town or two to crash at as we make our way back down the coast to San Fran. Thanks!

Don't drop your wallet! :yayaya:

OABB
02-28-2011, 10:34 AM

I don't know the town... But it's cold. You should bring something warm, preferably leather.

Jason in LA
02-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Sheen is a guy that made it. There are plenty of non succsessful actors that party like that you'll be sitting right next to at the club... Or the mall. This town is more Charlie sheen than you or I.

I don't know where you hang out. I hang out with the normal folks. And usually I'm hanging out with friends, so I'm not mingling with those Hollywood types, even if they are at the spot I'm at.

Smiling Assassin27
02-28-2011, 10:57 AM

I concur. We're just regular folk.

Sincerely,

OJ Simpson ;D

Jason is correct. Most folks just keep to themselves and their own party/group and celebs don't hang out on every streetcorner--well, 'cept for Paris. ;)

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 11:21 AM
I don't know the town... But it's cold. You should bring something warm, preferably leather.

This. And the humidity is really odd there... best to rub vasoline all over your body before doing anything to protect your skin.

OABB
02-28-2011, 11:41 AM
This. And the humidity is really odd there... best to rub vasoline all over your body before doing anything to protect your skin.

Good advice as well. You may want to let some skin breath with all that leather and vaseline. We can soak up a lot of oxygen through our buttcheeks( odd medical fact) so you may want to just cut those parts out of your leather pants.

cutthemdown
02-28-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't know where you hang out. I hang out with the normal folks. And usually I'm hanging out with friends, so I'm not mingling with those Hollywood types, even if they are at the spot I'm at.

People have a warped view of hollywood, LA, and really even though OC. I felt like when I visited Miami it was 10 times crazier then anywhere in LA lol.

cutthemdown
02-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Also the sun can really seem to beat down even when it's cold. Better take a leather sailors cap for protection.

OABB
02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
People have a warped view of hollywood, LA, and really even though OC. I felt like when I visited Miami it was 10 times crazier then anywhere in LA lol.

Not warped at all. I have live here over 20 years. Granted I'm in "the biz" so I may be more exposed to the seedy elements. I do have great friends here and like any place you have got your good and bad. But the whackjobs in LA are worse than anywhere in the world. Seriously.

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Not warped at all. I have live here over 20 years. Granted I'm in "the biz" so I may be more exposed to the seedy elements. I do have great friends here and like any place you have got your good and bad. But the whackjobs in LA are worse than anywhere in the world. Seriously.

New York says "hi"

Jason in LA
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
The way I see the Hollywood scene is that if you're personally caught up in the people at a venue, instead of the people that you showed up with, then you're going to have that attitude that people are phony. That's because you're watching everybody else, who is watching everybody else.

I usually go out with some friends or with a date. When I'm with my friends, we're all hanging out, so I'm not paying much attention to everybody else. When I'm with a date, she's getting all my attention, and I'm getting all of her attention, so other people there really don't matter.

A while back I used to go to clubs with this one friend, and we were there to pick up on chicks. Yeah, that kind of sucked. The women stayed in groups and pretty much had a force field up, shooting down guys left and right, and of course we walked away thinking the women were b****es. I'm sure other guys looked at us like we were some posers, just like we looked at them.

Then I started going to clubs with groups of friends, and had way more fun, because I just hung out with that group, and the women in the group, even if I didn't know them, were easy to talk to because we were all in the same group. So I wasn't getting shot down. I wasn't really paying anybody outside of the group much attention, so the posers didn't bother me at all.

When I take a date it's even better. I have a woman to hang out with and dance with, so I don't have to go through all the BS of getting shot down. So the club scene is actually pretty fun.

I'd say that if you ignore the posers and stick with the people that you showed up with, then you'll have a great time. But if you show up and start complaining about the people there being phony, then you're sabotaging your own night. I'd say that complaining that people at a club are phony is a way of excusing a person's own antisocial behavior. lol

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Well, LA doesn't sound like much of a vacation spot, but using it at as a base of operations is ok. Glamis Beach, Ensenada, Laguna Beach, Ocean Beach, La Jolla Shores, Tijuana. Some of those are nasty places, but can be fun depending on your demeanor. Most of them are ok, the exceptions being Ocean Beach and Tijuana.

Rohirrim
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Tijuana is a nice place to get beheaded.

broncocalijohn
02-28-2011, 02:19 PM

The tourist industry in Mexico likes to call it a neckline shave.
Khan, if you guys havent been to LA before, then do the touristy crap that most of us loath. It is when you have been there many times do you want to do the lay out at the beach thing. Due that in the summer. Go to Catalina for the day, take the Metro (listen for better gossip than Denver's light rail) down to San Diego for the zoo or animal park, rent a car to get to Orange County for your Disneyland/Knotts fun or head down the coast from Seal beach, through Huntington Beach and Newport and make your stop in Laguna Beach for Dinner and a walk along the beach.

OABB
02-28-2011, 02:29 PM
The way I see the Hollywood scene is that if you're personally caught up in the people at a venue, instead of the people that you showed up with, then you're going to have that attitude that people are phony. That's because you're watching everybody else, who is watching everybody else.

I usually go out with some friends or with a date. When I'm with my friends, we're all hanging out, so I'm not paying much attention to everybody else. When I'm with a date, she's getting all my attention, and I'm getting all of her attention, so other people there really don't matter.

A while back I used to go to clubs with this one friend, and we were there to pick up on chicks. Yeah, that kind of sucked. The women stayed in groups and pretty much had a force field up, shooting down guys left and right, and of course we walked away thinking the women were b****es. I'm sure other guys looked at us like we were some posers, just like we looked at them.

Then I started going to clubs with groups of friends, and had way more fun, because I just hung out with that group, and the women in the group, even if I didn't know them, were easy to talk to because we were all in the same group. So I wasn't getting shot down. I wasn't really paying anybody outside of the group much attention, so the posers didn't bother me at all.

When I take a date it's even better. I have a woman to hang out with and dance with, so I don't have to go through all the BS of getting shot down. So the club scene is actually pretty fun.

I'd say that if you ignore the posers and stick with the people that you showed up with, then you'll have a great time. But if you show up and start complaining about the people there being phony, then you're sabotaging your own night. I'd say that complaining that people at a club are phony is a way of excusing a person's own antisocial behavior. lol

well said. I am antisocial. I prefer hanging at home with the wife to anything.

bowtown
02-28-2011, 02:33 PM
New York says "hi"

No it doesn't. Having lived in both places, I've found that NY's whackjobs have absolutley nothing on LA's.

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Well, I know it's a nasty place. I included it in the tour as a darkside kind of place and gave some warning. Nevertheless, it can be fun in a brutal and risky kind of way.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-28-2011, 02:38 PM
No it doesn't. Having lived in both places, I've found that NY's whackjobs have absolutley nothing on LA's.

Having lived in both places, ill safely say that each have plenty of "whackjobs" and "phony" people, they are just wacky and phony in a diff way. Ill say this, New yorkers seem to get off on being jackoffs to each other, while LA people seem more laid back in general.

Smiling Assassin27
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, I know it's a nasty place. I included it in the tour as a darkside kind of place and gave some warning. Nevertheless, it can be fun in a brutal and risky kind of way.

It's a beautiful time of year to dodge bullets.

OABB
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM

The ny whackos are upfront. You know who they are and what they want. LA is much worse because not only can thy pass for normal, they will backstab you without any remorse.

The crazies from aroundthe world come to la to be discovered. It's a melting pot of insanity.

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 02:47 PM
The ny whackos are upfront. You know who they are and what they want. LA is much worse because not only can thy pass for normal, they will backstab you without any remorse.

The crazies from aroundthe world come to la to be discovered. It's a melting pot of insanity.

yea, i lived out there for a little over a year (last year actually)...was in the standup comedy scene out there...talk about a delusional group of people....i like my NY whackos much better

TheReverend
02-28-2011, 02:59 PM
yea, i lived out there for a little over a year (last year actually)...was in the standup comedy scene out there...talk about a delusional group of people....i like my NY whackos much better

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

trying to do standup comedy in Los Angeles instead of NY...

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
It's a beautiful time of year to dodge bullets.

I guess that's escalating, the bullet thing. Used to be all you had to do was dodge knives. The Tijuana cops kept the bullets down pretty good, they were the only ones that had firearms.

El Minion
02-28-2011, 03:09 PM
If visiting Santa Monica, go where the locals go, Main St. for shopping, dining and bar/clubbing. 2700-2900 blocks are best for night life. Plus you are only 5 minute drive from the freaks on Venice boardwalk.

2200 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ap2200.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ap2200.jpg)
2300 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2300.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2300.jpg)
2400 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2400.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2400.jpg)
2500 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2500.jpg
2600 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2600.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2600.jpg)
2700 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2700.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2700.jpg)
2800 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2800.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2800.jpg)
2900 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2900.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap2900.jpg)
3000 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap3000.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap3000.jpg)
3100 Block
http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap3100.jpg (http://www.mainstreetsm.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nap3100.jpg)

Smiling Assassin27
02-28-2011, 03:26 PM
I guess that's escalating, the bullet thing. Used to be all you had to do was dodge knives. The Tijuana cops kept the bullets down pretty good, they were the only ones that had firearms.

On the bright side, it ain't Juarez.

Jason in LA
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Man I wouldn't step foot across the boarder. Them folks are crazy.

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 04:02 PM
On the bright side, it ain't Juarez.

Sad to say that's a bright side.

Los Broncos
02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
I would for sure visit Pink's hotdog stand on Melrose and Vermont, then maybe shop down Melrose.

Theres always Universal studios too.

Or maybe catch a Laker or Clipper game if their in town.

Go see a concert at the Whiskey, now that is cool...and have one for me.

Chris
02-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Go hang out with Charlie Sheen and ride the winds of the universes with his mystical goddesses snorting the greatest drug of all........ Charlie Sheen.

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 06:03 PM
go look up my ex-girlfriend and punch her in her pig snout

OABB
02-28-2011, 06:12 PM
Go hang out with Charlie Sheen and ride the winds of the universes with his mystical goddesses snorting the greatest drug of all........ Charlie Sheen.

He's a winner. He's winning. He's not bipolar, he's a biwinner. I want to go paint the town with sheen and Gibson. My god that would be magic.

HAT
02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
He's a winner. He's winning. He's not bipolar, he's a biwinner. I want to go paint the town with sheen and Gibson. My god that would be magic.

Why not go for the trifecta and invite The 'Hoff?

OABB
02-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Why not go for the trifecta and invite The 'Hoff?

And Tom sizemore. I think I'd die. Literally.

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
And Tom sizemore. I think I'd die. Literally.

I would throw in Ron Artest for entertainment purposes too

cutthemdown
02-28-2011, 06:30 PM
charlie in getting close to robert downer jr territory

Jason in LA
02-28-2011, 06:38 PM
I would for sure visit Pink's hotdog stand on Melrose and Vermont, then maybe shop down Melrose.

This is not a good idea. I don't see why anybody would wait in a line that wraps around the building for a hot dog. And most of the people in that line are tourist. I pass by Pink's pretty much everyday and I've only been there once in my life. Even at like 2am the line wraps around the building.

As far as Melrose, it's a really grungy area. That street somehow got the image as been upscale. Well if you're looking to go punk rock, that's the place to shop.

vancejohnson82
02-28-2011, 06:46 PM
This is not a good idea. I don't see why anybody would wait in a line that wraps around the building for a hot dog. And most of the people in that line are tourist. I pass by Pink's pretty much everyday and I've only been there once in my life. Even at like 2am the line wraps around the building.

As far as Melrose, it's a really grungy area. That street somehow got the image as been upscale. Well if you're looking to go punk rock, that's the place to shop.

when i was out there i waited on line for about 10 minutes and then realized what the hell i was doing

headed to In n Out instead.....that place was da cheese

OABB
02-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Carneys is a good dog and the line isn't nearly as long. Plus it's in a train car. Man I'm dying for a hot dog now.

Jason in LA
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
Really thinking about it, Costco hot dogs are awesome! Seeing that he's staying in El Segundo, that's not far from the Costco in Inglewood! ;D

OABB
02-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Really thinking about it, Costco hot dogs are awesome! Seeing that he's staying in El Segundo, that's not far from the Costco in Inglewood! ;D

Costco dogs are good. I live in the gundo, and I'm a regular costco visitor. Good call.

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Actually, I can't think of a single reason to visit LA. You visit there once, you see the sights, and you don't go back again unless it's a base of operations to the good spots in socal or Mexico.

Cito Pelon
02-28-2011, 07:55 PM
The poker rooms in LA are pretty cool. Good times.

Rohirrim
02-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Man I wouldn't step foot across the boarder. Them folks are crazy.

For years, my family had a beach house down in Rosarito Beach. I've crossed over that border more times than I could count. I wouldn't do it now. Period. No ****ing way.

oubronco
02-28-2011, 08:15 PM

That would be one badass night you would telling that story for decades

Bronco Yoda
02-28-2011, 08:30 PM
check your messages Kaylore. :)

HAT
02-28-2011, 08:43 PM
For years, my family had a beach house down in Rosarito Beach. I've crossed over that border more times than I could count. I wouldn't do it now. Period. No ****ing way.

Spent many a weekend in the mid 80's camping/surfing/partying in Northern Baja. Rosarito, K-38, Puerto Nuevo & the cliffs between K-55 & La Fonda Hotel.

Used to be as simple as buying some auto insurance at the border, stop for a few cases of Coronas & some fireworks, pick your spot on the cliffs and set up camp. Kids would come by every morning and we'd give them a few bucks for campsite 'rent'.

Maybe every other trip the Federales would cruise through and poke around but as long as you didn't have any drugs or guns and were respectful toward them they'd just laugh at the dumb gringos butchering the language and be on their way.

Damn shame you can't do that anymore.

troya900
02-28-2011, 09:02 PM

Theres always Universal studios too.

Or maybe catch a Laker or Clipper game if their in town.

Go see a concert at the Whiskey, now that is cool...and have one for me.

Pretty sure it's Melrose and La Brea not Vermont.

Los Broncos
02-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Well I tried.

Jason in LA
02-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Pretty sure it's Melrose and La Brea not Vermont.

Yep, Melrose and La Brea. I went to Fairfax HS, on Melrose and Fairfax, so I used to pass by it all the time. Now my son goes to Fairfax HS, so now I'm back go passing that place all the time. It's a trip to see how long that line is all day and night.

SonOfLe-loLang
02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Yep, Melrose and La Brea. I went to Fairfax HS, on Melrose and Fairfax, so I used to pass by it all the time. Now my son goes to Fairfax HS, so now I'm back go passing that place all the time. It's a trip to see how long that line is all day and night.

Thats right down the street from me. I have zero clue why someone would wanna wait 45 minutes for a **** hot dog at 2 am, but they are always out there.

broncocalijohn
02-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Thats right down the street from me. I have zero clue why someone would wanna wait 45 minutes for a **** hot dog at 2 am, but they are always out there.

Because it takes 1.5 hours to get feed at Dennys. I prefer Norms anyday of the week.

HAT
02-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Because it takes 1.5 hours to get feed at Dennys. I prefer Norms anyday of the week.

broncocalijohn
02-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Soup AND salad. Not soup or salad. Makes the difference.

broncosteven
03-04-2011, 01:20 PM
Kahn,

I am not sure when your going but you have to check this place out:

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/star-trek-the-motion-picture-0

They are showing ST II and my HS friend is on a pannel talking about STTMP stuff.

broncocalijohn
03-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Kahn,

I am not sure when your going but you have to check this place out:

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/star-trek-the-motion-picture-0

They are showing ST II and my HS friend is on a pannel talking about STTMP stuff.

Is that code for ,"Hey, my friend is nerdier than me and he will be talking about sci-fi movies to a bunch of other nerds!"

At least you are nerdy for real space exploration.........captain!

broncosteven
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
Is that code for ,"Hey, my friend is nerdier than me and he will be talking about sci-fi movies to a bunch of other nerds!"

At least you are nerdy for real space exploration.........captain!

Yep, he is way nerdier(sp?) than I will ever be but he has made a career out of being a nerd.

It is funny how the ST and SW geeks don't know much about Apollo or real space exploration, they seem to be locked into fantasy land.

fdf
03-04-2011, 06:58 PM

I lived there for 25 years and go back frequently to see in-laws.

* Quadruple your estimate of the time it takes to get anywhere. The traffic is awful. Beyond awful. We took a foreign exchange student there last year. He's from China. His comment after 3 hours in stop and go traffic before evening rush hour is "This is just like Beijing."

* Downtown Beverly Hills (rodeo dr etc) was looking pretty dowdy and run down last year when I was there.

* Try to get a studio tour. I know Paramount does them. They are very cool but hard to get into. They have a parking lot that turns into an ocean for filming.

* Santa Monica pier and Venice Beach are OK but overrated.

* Downtown Hollywood has been renovated and is pretty nice. Graumans, and (depending on age) Ripley's believe it or not will be a huge hit.

* I like Universal studios. It's just an amusement park but it's pretty extravagant and a fun day.

* If you like architecture, there are some great Frank Lloyd Wright houses there you can drive by.

* Getty Museum is very cool in the antiquities area. The whole thing is done as a Roman villa.

cutthemdown
03-04-2011, 07:49 PM

I like Ihop

Bronco Yoda
03-05-2011, 02:37 AM
Just stay away from Long Beach. Pretty seedy characters there... :)

Karenin
03-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Actually, I can't think of a single reason to visit LA

Yep. There is literally no reason to visit L.A. unless you have a rich uncle who is going to put you up or something. Every single positive thing about L.A. (all three of them) can be found in other, non-hellhole locations.

HAT
03-05-2011, 06:29 AM
^^^ Like Orange County

:strong:

Jason in LA
03-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Yep. There is literally no reason to visit L.A. unless you have a rich uncle who is going to put you up or something. Every single positive thing about L.A. (all three of them) can be found in other, non-hellhole locations.

:bs:

phisig150
03-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Pig and Whistle
Cat and Fiddle
In n Out
Tommies
Mel's Diner
Roscoe's Chicken and Waffle
Moonshadows in Malibu for romantic dinner
The Dresden for drinks
Good Luck Bar
If you can find them taco trucks have the best mexican food. They also have a great Korean truck can't remember the name

Chris
03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Ooh now I remember going to the Getty museum. Cool spot.

Isn't there a larger more modern Getty museum as well?

HAT
03-05-2011, 08:49 AM
If you can find them taco trucks have the best mexican food. They also have a great Korean truck can't remember the name

Kogi bbq

Karenin
03-05-2011, 09:01 AM
:bs:

You're right. I forgot about Roscoe's. There is no other place that I have found that makes chicken and waffles like that. However, I would never dream of going to that hellhole of a city just for some chicken and waffles.

DenverBroncosJM
03-05-2011, 09:05 AM
Museum of Tolerance is actually really interesting

DenverBroncosJM
03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
You're right. I forgot about Roscoe's. There is no other place that I have found that makes chicken and waffles like that. However, I would never dream of going to that hellhole of a city just for some chicken and waffles.

The one in Compton by cal state dominguiz hills isnt bad

epicSocialism4tw
03-05-2011, 10:03 AM
Be sure to spend some extended time in Compton, Kaylore. I hear its beautiful this time of year. Wear blue.

JJJ
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Listen, Khan, I was born and raised out there. Don't listen to these people. The best thing to do is hang out at the beach. Go to Manhattan and spend a day just sitting there on the beach watching the ocean. Walk up Manhattan Bch Blvd for some nice little bars and dining spots for lunch. Venice and Santa Monica are tourist traps. If you're in El Segundo, go down to El Porto, which is right next door, and watch the sunset. People gather there almost every day to watch the sun set over the Pacific. It's like right out of City of Angels. The surfers are out catching the evening glass. On the best days, it can be magical. The best fish is found at San Pedro Fresh Fish in Ports O'Call down in San Pedro. Nice place to stroll and shop too. There's also a place called Captain Kidd's in King Harbor (Redondo) that's okay. You pick what you want, they grill it, you sit outside on benches and eat while you watch the boats sail in and out of the harbor. They might still have boat trips out of the Redondo Harbor you can catch. It's a nice couple of hours just cruising out on the sea.

The trip to Catalina is nice too. You can catch the boat out of San Pedro, sometimes you see flying fish, blue sharks, porpoises and even whales on the trip over. In the old days you could catch the Grumman Goose, which was awesome. Spend a day in Avalon. Very nice. Nice restaurants and shops over there and you can rent little paddle boats and play in the harbor. Cruising up the coast through Malibu is nice, but don't try it on the weekend. Disneyland is pure suck. Forget about it. Universal Studios is much better, if you like amusement parks. The zoo is a waste. If you've seen one, you've seen them all (except for San Diego Zoo, which is exceptional). If you had enough days I would recommend a trip out to Joshua Tree in the desert, but if the schedule is tight, just stick to the beach.

When I go out there, I rent a room at the Sea Sprite motel on 10th St. in Hermosa Beach. Simple. Right on The Strand. Central to all the places I want to go. Last time we went out there, I went to the Redondo Pier fish market, bought a bunch of seafood, took it back to the motel (they have kitchens) and made some bouillabaisse. The best idea is to keep it simple and enjoy the beach and the sea. That's the best part of So Cal anyway.

These recommendations are right on the money. I used to date a girl in college and drove up every weekend from San Diego to El Segundo so got to the area a bit and this is a great set of picks.

Mine were going to be a day trip to Joshua Tree also, just a magical place. Go during the week when no one is there but time it right to miss the traffic. Catalina is cool too and an easy day trip.

In Manhattan Beach check out the Beach Hut for the hawaiian breakfast. The Kettle is also a good spot for breakfast.

Take advantage of the mexican food out there. The carne asada can't be beat. Grill your own as you can actually find skirt steak out there with relative ease. With a margarita on the beach, that is great stuff.

The beaches are the best part as said above.

Personally if you want to get the most out a few weeks in LA I woud rent a convertible and just drive the hell out of the PCH. Driving south or driving north from that spot you will find all kinds of cool little spots and things to do and places to eat and have some suds. Take naps at different beaches. Catch the sunsets.

OABB
03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Enjoy the crazy homeless here too. Many of these people are actually very psychologically ill.

If you wonder why these crazies are on the street and not in hospitals where they belong, just look at epicsocialisms avatar.

Popps
03-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Kaylore,

Someone mentioned Cat and Fiddle on Sunset. Excellent recommendation. Just a nice place with outdoor seating, good vibe, and they serve food. So, if you're grabbing a few cocktails some night, that's a good, mellow hang out.

http://www.abouthollywood.com/wp-content/gallery/cat-and-fiddle/picture-1.png

Kaylore
03-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd be ok with anything. We need to nail down a day so people can clear their schedules, and my wife has asked that if people come, they try and bring their wives/girlfriends so she can talk to someone about non-football mane things. If not, she'll still come but doesn't want to be bored.

Kaylore
03-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Enjoy the crazy homeless here too. Many of these people are actually very psychologically ill.

If you wonder why these crazies are on the street and not in hospitals where they belong, just look at epicsocialisms avatar.

I see. Ronald Reagan invented homeless people in the seventies and all those Democrat legislatures 35 years later still can't undo it, huh? ::)

cutthemdown
03-06-2011, 12:11 PM
It's amusing to see all the hate for LA and California. It must be a small town thing.

epicSocialism4tw
03-06-2011, 12:16 PM

There are so many wealthy people in california...they should be more worried about taking care of their homeless.

mhgaffney
03-06-2011, 12:41 PM

This.

Try Oregon.

OABB
03-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I see. Ronald Reagan invented homeless people in the seventies and all those Democrat legislatures 35 years later still can't undo it, huh? ::)

Not talking about generic homeless...talking about the ****ing crazy people who should be in mental institutions who are part of the homeless population.

I can give a **** about some drunk who wont work out of choice, but I have a hard time cutting a "socialist" program that keeps people that talk to a wall and hallucinate on the streets.

Who cut that program? anyone?

Popps
03-06-2011, 03:35 PM
What's with the hicks bagging on Kaylore's vacation choice?

Don't like it, gtfo.

zdoor
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Santa Barbara is beautiful if you want to drive north a little bit... Lots of great restaurants and beautiful areas...

cutthemdown
03-06-2011, 06:01 PM
What's with the hicks bagging on Kaylore's vacation choice?

Don't like it, gtfo.

Yuck Yuck wats ya goin to caleeeefornia for ya dillwad. All dey got der are people getting fake titties and stealing from each other. The men der where more makeup den da womanfolk do from wats i here.

cutthemdown
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Why is everyone hating on us? Like every big city doesn't have a homeless problem? What about Dallas? Hell i watch cops I saw the Houston one, looked pretty ghetto to me.

Hell Texas? Bunch of dudes ****ing steers and cultist getting burnt up.

Kaylore
03-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't mind people not wanting to go there yourdelf, but considering we're already booked and have tickets, the "go somewhere else" advice is both untimely and unhelpful. If you can't be helpful, gtfo. ;)

OABB
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Lax firing range is awesome too kaylore. They have a .50 magnum handgun you can shoot!

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 12:21 AM

So you came to LA and the best thing you found was Roscoe's? Do you have social issues or something?

There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I guess you think all those things suck.

As for Roscoe's, the only reason to go there is the only reason to go to Pinks Hot Dogs. It's just to say that you went. The place is a glorified diner, and they don't bother making it a quality establishment and they don't bother making great food, like they're known for. They don't have to because people will go there regardless. For locals, it's the cool hangout spot. For tourist, it's a spot they all know about.

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm pretty sure if somebody started a topic saying they were vacationing in New York, or another major city, people would hate on that too. It's envy.

I'm a big city guy, so I love to go to big cities for vacations. I went to New York a couple years back for five days and had an awesome time. On the same trip I went to New Orleans for five days, and that meant five nights on Bourbon Street. I want to go back so bad. I'm heading to San Jose for a convention next month, and I plan to spend as much time in San Francisco as possible. I'm heading to Chicago this summer and I can't wait.

Within the past few years I've gone to Portland and Kansas City. I won't be going back to either of those places any time soon.

cutthemdown
03-07-2011, 01:33 AM
So you came to LA and the best thing you found was Roscoe's? Do you have social issues or something?

There have been a lot of good suggestions in this thread. I guess you think all those things suck.

As for Roscoe's, the only reason to go there is the only reason to go to Pinks Hot Dogs. It's just to say that you went. The place is a glorified diner, and they don't bother making it a quality establishment and they don't bother making great food, like they're known for. They don't have to because people will go there regardless. For locals, it's the cool hangout spot. For tourist, it's a spot they all know about.

Funny because we have some world class places to eat. Not New York type plethora but still some fine eating establishments. That is if you have some coin.

Karenin
03-07-2011, 04:38 AM
I'm pretty sure if somebody started a topic saying they were vacationing in New York, or another major city, people would hate on that too. It's envy.

I'm a big city guy, so I love to go to big cities for vacations. I went to New York a couple years back for five days and had an awesome time. On the same trip I went to New Orleans for five days, and that meant five nights on Bourbon Street. I want to go back so bad. I'm heading to San Jose for a convention next month, and I plan to spend as much time in San Francisco as possible. I'm heading to Chicago this summer and I can't wait.

Within the past few years I've gone to Portland and Kansas City. I won't be going back to either of those places any time soon.

Huge LOL at telling me that I was hanging out in the tourist spot and that I couldn't find anything better to do in LA... then saying you spent 5 days on ****ing Bourbon Street. Bourbon Street is the most touristy piece of **** area in New Orleans and is filled with the most worthless midwestern pieces of **** I've ever seen. You can literally walk one block off Bourbon Street in either direction and find a ton of cool ****, but idiot LA people like you would rather down frozen drinks and go to the penthouse club.

You fail, bigtime.

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Huge LOL at telling me that I was hanging out in the tourist spot and that I couldn't find anything better to do in LA... then saying you spent 5 days on ****ing Bourbon Street. Bourbon Street is the most touristy piece of **** area in New Orleans and is filled with the most worthless midwestern pieces of **** I've ever seen. You can literally walk one block off Bourbon Street in either direction and find a ton of cool ****, but idiot LA people like you would rather down frozen drinks and go to the penthouse club.

You fail, bigtime.

Excuse me for liking to have fun. You should try it some time. No wonder you couldn't find anything to do in LA.

OABB
03-07-2011, 07:29 AM

You fail, bigtime.

One thing about LA is that people are really good looking here. I can understand how you could have felt like an outcast.

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 08:57 AM
One thing about LA is that people are really good looking here. I can understand how you could have felt like an outcast.

Damn. LOL

Miss I.
03-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Why the bagging on LA? I grew up there and I turned out well, nevermind bad example, but my cousin who lives out there turned out just fine. ;D

I actually grew up much further inland near the Claremont colleges for anyone who knows that area, but of course as a kid we did the Disneyland, KnottsBerry Farm, Magic Mountain stuff (Magic Mountain is a bit far out from the city, but fun, but if you are going to do one theme park, honestly Disneyland always was my favorite). And the beaches. If I recall we went to Huntington a lot. Our school trips usually involved art museums, natural history museums and missions (there are a lot of them in CA, but the two best I saw I think were Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo if my recall is correct). As for food, I love Mexican food in CA, but it's been so long since I lived in LA I really couldn't tell you. My favorite thing growing up was a divey little fast food place near my house called Andy's but that's a bit out of your way I expect.

Trip advisor sometimes has good lists, not sure about it's one in LA, really depends on what you want to do exactly. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g32655-Activities-Los_Angeles_California.html#TtD

I've seen some really good suggestions in here. At any rate, have a good time. California has a lot of great things in it. LA isn't just one city, but there's a lot around it and honestly it isn't that far to San Diego or Santa Barbara (both worth seeing, yes I know but I loved living in San Diego, I can't help it. Weather is great and beaches are beautiful).

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM

I'm not sure where the LA hate comes from either. There certainly is an anti-hollywood crowd who feel that, because of the industry here, we are a town of fakes. I grew up in New York and I can honestly say that NY people are just as phony, but carry themselves in a different way. Though one would think people would be more annoyed by NYers that imply their city is the only "real" city in the country. No one in LA boasts that, in fact i think most Angelenos (including myself) have a love/hate with it.

But its a fun town, ive had many experiences here that would never happen anywhere else.

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm not sure where the LA hate comes from either. There certainly is an anti-hollywood crowd who feel that, because of the industry here, we are a town of fakes. I grew up in New York and I can honestly say that NY people are just as phony, but carry themselves in a different way. Though one would think people would be more annoyed by NYers that imply their city is the only "real" city in the country. No one in LA boasts that, in fact i think most Angelenos (including myself) have a love/hate with it.

But its a fun town, ive had many experiences here that would never happen anywhere else.

Yeah, most of the haters bring up the Hollywood crowd. But that crowd is such a small part of LA that it's nothing to worry about. There's like 13 million people in the greater LA area. The Hollywood crowd is an extremely small percentage of that, and they are easily avoidable. Well, unless you work in the industry or you're trying to get into some of those Hollywood clubs. Most of the suggestions in this thread will lead a person away from that Hollywood crowd.

Irish Stout
03-07-2011, 11:02 AM
When I was 18 I went to LA with my buddy as a post-high school fun trip. We met some really cute girls at Disneyland close to park closing time and ended up going out to Long Beach with them. Long story short I made out with this girl I thought was really hot, so we schedule to meet up with them the next day at Huntington Beach... turns out this chick had like lamb chop side burns down to her jaw.

Smoking hot beach body, just a furry face...

So, just be sure to check out the girls in the daylight first. Thats my only useless advice for LA.

Oh and if you haven't done Disneyland, do it and pretend you're 10 years old to enjoy it.

broncosteven
03-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Anyone know if "The Sunset Grill" is still near Guitar Center? I had to go the one time I was out there after dicking around in Guitar Center because Henley's "Building the Perfect Beast" got me through high school and I read where Joe Walsh and Don Felder would run by there every day playing the effects while making Hotel California. The hamburger was an honest burger, not the best ever but it was fun at the time.

broncosteven
03-07-2011, 11:19 AM

I live in the burb's of Chicago and I think the homeless population in Denver is more scary looking than anything I have seen in LA or Downtown Chicago, plus they seem to be everywhere in Denver, the only time I see panhandlers is downtown chicago in the loop or along State street and the Mag mile, it is very rare to see anyone panhandling out in the burbs in IL like you see in Denver at highway/tollroad exits.

I did find out that the homeless in the Chicago burbs stick to bus routes near forest preserves where they can sleep at night and close to wallmarts where they can clean up but they dont panhandle like they do in Denver. Maybe there are more shelters out here or a hobo code of conduct or something...

HAT
03-07-2011, 11:29 AM
The hate for LA is pretty easy to understand actually.

For people that have lived in or visited NYC, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, etc....LA pales in comparison because there is no real urban center. Sure there's a 'downtown' where people go to work, but not to live and play. Yeah, LA Live is trying to change that but until the ENTIRE downtown area is a 24/7 community of lofts/apartments, retail, entertainment & commerce, "LA" will always pale in comparison.

Then you have people who think "Let's go see Hollywood, it seems so glamorous!" But physical Hollywood is just a few square miles of shops, bars, clubs & neighborhoods full people trying to make it on lower middle class incomes.

LA has as much, if not more, culture, world class dining, entertainment, nature & industry as any other major metropolis but it's all too damn far apart. Couple that with ****ty mass transit and packed freeways and it's easy to see why much of the country thinks it sucks as a travel destination. Pasadena, Burbank, Hollywood, Studio City, Downtown, Calabasas, Santa Monica, Long Beach & most of the coast all have great spots to live & work & play but 'The Basin" is just too damn big with too much sprawl in between.

The same goes for Orange County but on a slightly smaller scale. There's even less of an urban center down here. If you want stereotypical SoCal along with a real 'Downtown', San Diego is the closest thing that fits the bill.

Otherwise, just vacation to 'Coastal Southern California'. That's where the beauty lies....Malibu, Marina Del Rey, Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo beach, coastal Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach & Harbor, Laguna & San Clemente.

I don't live here because it's a great travel or tourist destination. I live here because I can surf Newport on an 80 degree day in February...Or trout fish & snowboard in Big Bear 90 miles away. Or hike the desert, gamble & golf championship courses in Palm Springs, also 90 miles away. I can launch a kayak & fish multiple harbors & bays along the coast within 30 minutes. I can duck hunt Prado Dam in 30 also and feel like I'm in another state.

Give me 4-5 hours and I can party in Vegas, ride Mammoth Mountain, horse camp Yosemite, catch all the trout I want in The Sierras, Ogle spring breakers at Havasu, surf empty breaks in Mex.....

So yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to vacation here either, but there's few places I'd rather live.

JJJ
03-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Why the bagging on LA? I grew up there and I turned out well, nevermind bad example, but my cousin who lives out there turned out just fine. ;D

I actually grew up much further inland near the Claremont colleges for anyone who knows that area, but of course as a kid we did the Disneyland, KnottsBerry Farm, Magic Mountain stuff (Magic Mountain is a bit far out from the city, but fun, but if you are going to do one theme park, honestly Disneyland always was my favorite). And the beaches. If I recall we went to Huntington a lot. Our school trips usually involved art museums, natural history museums and missions (there are a lot of them in CA, but the two best I saw I think were Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo if my recall is correct). As for food, I love Mexican food in CA, but it's been so long since I lived in LA I really couldn't tell you. My favorite thing growing up was a divey little fast food place near my house called Andy's but that's a bit out of your way I expect.

Trip advisor sometimes has good lists, not sure about it's one in LA, really depends on what you want to do exactly. http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g32655-Activities-Los_Angeles_California.html#TtD

I've seen some really good suggestions in here. At any rate, have a good time. California has a lot of great things in it. LA isn't just one city, but there's a lot around it and honestly it isn't that far to San Diego or Santa Barbara (both worth seeing, yes I know but I loved living in San Diego, I can't help it. Weather is great and beaches are beautiful).

And you secretly loved the football team too right?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 11:40 AM
The hate for LA is pretty easy to understand actually.

For people that have lived in or visited NYC, Miami, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, etc....LA pales in comparison because there is no real urban center. Sure there's a 'downtown' where people go to work, but not to live and play. Yeah, LA Live is trying to change that but until the ENTIRE downtown area is a 24/7 community of lofts/apartments, retail, entertainment & commerce, "LA" will always pale in comparison.

Then you have people who think "Let's go see Hollywood, it seems so glamorous!" But physical Hollywood is just a few square miles of shops, bars, clubs & neighborhoods full people trying to make it on lower middle class incomes.

LA has as much, if not more, culture, world class dining, entertainment, nature & industry as any other major metropolis but it's all too damn far apart. Couple that with ****ty mass transit and packed freeways and it's easy to see why much of the country thinks it sucks as a travel destination. Pasadena, Burbank, Hollywood, Studio City, Downtown, Calabasas, Santa Monica, Long Beach & most of the coast all have great spots to live & work & play but 'The Basin" is just too damn big with too much sprawl in between.

The same goes for Orange County but on a slightly smaller scale. There's even less of an urban center down here. If you want stereotypical SoCal along with a real 'Downtown', San Diego is the closest thing that fits the bill.

Otherwise, just vacation to 'Coastal Southern California'. That's where the beauty lies....Malibu, Marina Del Rey, Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo beach, coastal Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach & Harbor, Laguna & San Clemente.

I don't live here because it's a great travel or tourist destination. I live here because I can surf Newport on an 80 degree day in February...Or trout fish & snowboard in Big Bear 90 miles away. Or hike the desert, gamble & golf championship courses in Palm Springs, also 90 miles away. I can launch a kayak & fish multiple harbors & bays along the coast within 30 minutes. I can duck hunt Prado Dam in 30 also and feel like I'm in another state.

Give me 4-5 hours and I can party in Vegas, ride Mammoth Mountain, horse camp Yosemite, catch all the trout I want in The Sierras, Ogle spring breakers at Havasu, surf empty breaks in Mex.....

So yeah, I'm not sure I'd want to vacation here either, but there's few places I'd rather live.

There's truth to this, but most people i know who cant stand LA have never even been here.

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 12:14 PM
There's truth to this, but most people i know who cant stand LA have never even been here.

I had a co worker a while back who said that same thing. He was from Buffalo, early 20s and he wanted out of there. He wanted to do something big so he moved out here. He was telling me that his friends were telling him how fake LA was, and that he'd hate it because of the traffic, smog, and all the other BS that people say is bad about LA. He then said that his friends who told him that stuff, none of them had ever been to LA. And he said that after a year, it was the best decision that he ever made. The guy loved LA and he said he had no plans of going back.

Miss I.
03-07-2011, 12:23 PM
And you secretly loved the football team too right?

No, actually, the only football game I went to while I was there was Superbowl XXXII. Who played in that game? anyone? Well, Sure as hell wasn't the Chargers. ;D

bowtown
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I had a co worker a while back who said that same thing. He was from Buffalo, early 20s and he wanted out of there. He wanted to do something big so he moved out here. He was telling me that his friends were telling him how fake LA was, and that he'd hate it because of the traffic, smog, and all the other BS that people say is bad about LA. He then said that his friends who told him that stuff, none of them had ever been to LA. And he said that after a year, it was the best decision that he ever made. The guy loved LA and he said he had no plans of going back.

Not to take anything away from your story but the guy grew up in Buffalo. He probably would have considered Omaha a good decision.

vancejohnson82
03-07-2011, 12:46 PM
Not to take anything away from your story but the guy grew up in Buffalo. He probably would have considered Omaha a good decision.

haha....I really do think that where you are from will make a huge impact on how you feel about LA

growing up with New York in my backyard, and as a place I worked for years, Los Angeles doesnt even hold a candle to it

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 01:12 PM

I'd think that you could take out Buffalo and put in any mid to small city or town, which would be most of this country, and the story works. Plug in a city like Kansas City, or Charlotte, and it works fine.

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 01:14 PM
haha....I really do think that where you are from will make a huge impact on how you feel about LA

growing up with New York in my backyard, and as a place I worked for years, Los Angeles doesnt even hold a candle to it

Well there is no place like home. I love New York. It's an awesome place, but I'm born and raised in LA and I'm not leaving. It's awesome here!

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM

Im born and raised NY and really have no plans on going back. New York has a lot going for it, but I dont really miss it and itch to come back to LA when im there.

bowtown
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Grew up in the mountains of Colorado. I lived in LA for 2 years and you couldn't pay me to go back. Been in NY for 8 years since and you couldn't pay me to leave. To each his own though... at the end of the day we are just human beings, trying to get by on this crazy planet we call Earth, a planet that circles the sun, and just so happens to have a city called New York which is objectively better than any other city on said planet, especially the city called Los Angeles. That's what makes life great and that's something on which I think we can all agree. Am I right here my brothers and sisters?

broncosteven
03-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Why can't I get Randy Newman out of my head?

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Grew up in the mountains of Colorado. I lived in LA for 2 years and you couldn't pay me to go back. Been in NY for 8 years since and you couldn't pay me to leave. To each his own though... at the end of the day we are just human beings, trying to get by on this crazy planet we call Earth, a planet that circles the sun, and just so happens to have a city called New York which is objectively better than any other city on said planet, especially the city called Los Angeles. That's what makes life great and that's something on which I think we can all agree. Am I right here my brothers and sisters?

As great as I think New York is, there is one thing that takes it off of the very short list of places other than LA that I could live in. It's called winter. ;D

bowtown
03-07-2011, 01:40 PM
As great as I think New York is, there is one thing that takes it off of the very short list of places other than LA that I could live in. It's called winter. ;D

And see, no winter (or really any discernable seasons) is one of the things I hated most about living in LA.

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
And see, no winter (or really any discernable seasons) is one of the things I hated most about living in LA.

That's what I love about LA. It's typically between 60 and 85 degrees. It rarely gets below that and in the summer there aren't many days above that. I don't see how yall do that freezing cold weather in the winter. And I'm not a fan of humid summers. LA weather is just awesome.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 01:49 PM

****, and summer. A sweltering NYC summer is miserable. NYC has great weather like 2 months of the year. I do miss the east coast in november. But y'all can keep your snow and your sub 30 days. What was it this weekend Jason? 80?

Jason in LA
03-07-2011, 01:51 PM
****, and summer. A sweltering NYC summer is miserable. NYC has great weather like 2 months of the year. I do miss the east coast in november. But y'all can keep your snow and your sub 30 days. What was it this weekend Jason? 80?

I was snowboarding in Big Bear this weekend, so it was cold. But the thing about that is that when I'm tired of being cold, I just come back to LA where it's warm. Talk about awesome!

vancejohnson82
03-07-2011, 02:01 PM

I can see the appeal of the weather....

I think the problem with LA for me, was that I tried to figure it out on my own, and never really found any great areas. I went into Universal City (?) where the outdoor piano bar was on my last night there and would have loved to go tehre more often but I never knew about it

There is no place like home. In New York I know where all my spots are and know where to go when I'm looking for certain types of nights

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I can see the appeal of the weather....

I think the problem with LA for me, was that I tried to figure it out on my own, and never really found any great areas. I went into Universal City (?) where the outdoor piano bar was on my last night there and would have loved to go tehre more often but I never knew about it

There is no place like home. In New York I know where all my spots are and know where to go when I'm looking for certain types of nights

Sure, but that would probably be true of any city you didnt grow up in/didnt spend enough time in.

where are you now?

vancejohnson82
03-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Sure, but that would probably be true of any city you didnt grow up in/didnt spend enough time in.

where are you now?

thats true....I didn't have a lot of time in LA to figure it out properly. I was also unemployed, trying to get into the standup comedy scene out there and living with a girl that was flagrantly cheating on me with my next door neighbor. So LA didnt really get my best effort

I live in Newark, NJ now....hop on the PATH train and I'm in NYC where I work.

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 03:02 PM
thats true....I didn't have a lot of time in LA to figure it out properly. I was also unemployed, trying to get into the standup comedy scene out there and living with a girl that was flagrantly cheating on me with my next door neighbor. So LA didnt really get my best effort

I live in Newark, NJ now....hop on the PATH train and I'm in NYC where I work.

haha yeah i can see why you may have a skewed view of Los Angeles. Eh, at least ya tried something new.

vancejohnson82
03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
haha yeah i can see why you may have a skewed view of Los Angeles. Eh, at least ya tried something new.

yea....basically I lost my job and decided, "what the hell, why not move out there for a bit and try it"

I've lived in Washington DC, New Haven (CT), LA, Newark (NJ), Ludlow (VT) in the past 5 years....so I've done a lot of moving....

Denver is my next stop

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 03:10 PM
yea....basically I lost my job and decided, "what the hell, why not move out there for a bit and try it"

I've lived in Washington DC, New Haven (CT), LA, Newark (NJ), Ludlow (VT) in the past 5 years....so I've done a lot of moving....

Denver is my next stop

I think the only way id move out of LA is if I got an opportunity to live in europe. But im not actively seeking that because...well im lazy

vancejohnson82
03-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I think the only way id move out of LA is if I got an opportunity to live in europe. But im not actively seeking that because...well im lazy

yea, i would jump at that opportunity too. it would have to be somewhere English speaking though. I'm not down with learning a new language....because I have that same condition you have

laziness

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 03:25 PM
yea, i would jump at that opportunity too. it would have to be somewhere English speaking though. I'm not down with learning a new language....because I have that same condition you have

laziness

Eh, it seems that pretty much every country in western europe speaks English. Its more their version of a green card that is elusive.

That One Guy
03-07-2011, 03:56 PM
I've lived in 8 states (two of them twice) and two countries. In doing that, I've only ever had to go into a major city on about 5 different occasions. Went into Denver to go to Invesco and the zoo, went to a play and boat ride in Seattle, and went to Detroit for the Lions game a few years ago. I currently go to school in Louisville and I do what I need to and GTFO. I take freeways through cities unless I can go around them but never, ever stop. I'll fill up before entering a city just to be safe.

I wont go to LA just because I don't wanna die. Y'all can keep the weather, good looking people, and fake boobies.

vancejohnson82
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I've lived in 8 states (two of them twice) and two countries. In doing that, I've only ever had to go into a major city on about 5 different occasions. Went into Denver to go to Invesco and the zoo, went to a play and boat ride in Seattle, and went to Detroit for the Lions game a few years ago. I currently go to school in Louisville and I do what I need to and GTFO. I take freeways through cities unless I can go around them but never, ever stop. I'll fill up before entering a city just to be safe.

I wont go to LA just because I don't wanna die. Y'all can keep the weather, good looking people, and fake boobies.

people don't die outside of major cities?

SonOfLe-loLang
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM

Weird, i've lived in LA for 8 years now and never died once.

That One Guy
03-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Weird, i've lived in LA for 8 years now and never died once.

Neither did Rambo or Chuck Norris. I'm neither.

:clown: