PDA

View Full Version : Xbox RRoD - how did you solve it?

Pontius Pirate
02-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Curious to hear if you've dealt with this and what you did. Lots of differing solutions on the web/youtube. To be clear, this is the 3-segment red ring you get when you start-up your Xbox, leaving it unplayable.

Wes Mantooth
02-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Curious to hear if you've dealt with this and what you did. Lots of differing solutions on the web/youtube. To be clear, this is the 3-segment red ring you get when you start-up your Xbox, leaving it unplayable.

The problem is it can be several things. Once it happens, they are never quite the same.

If it requires actually opening it up (not your power supply), I would sell that thing to someone who fixes those things on craigs list for about $40-$50.

$199 for a new one, or a used one for less at gamestop, minus the $50 bucks you just picked up for the broken one.

Get an extended warranty for $20 bucks. I bought mine at target and have 3 years no questions asked on top of the Microsoft warranty.

NUB
02-26-2011, 07:06 PM
I sent mine in to Microsoft. They sent it back with an Xbox Live card that is still taped to the side of the thing.

BMarsh615
02-26-2011, 07:17 PM
I solved it by sending it back to XBOX to get repaired and then selling it when it came back. I paid 100 bucks to have it repaired 4 different times in 3 years before I got sick of that POS. I ended up buying a PS3 and haven't had any problems in the year and a half I've had it.

JCsuperstar
02-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Wrap it in a blanket and leave it on for 10 or 15 minutes. It worked four or five times but it is only a temporary fix. The first time I did it I didnt need to do it for a month then it dropped to a few weeks and eventually it was every other day. Then I shipped it to Microsoft and they fixed it but it wasn't the same. So I bought a PS3 they dont red ring.

Hercules Rockefeller
02-26-2011, 07:32 PM
By buying a PS3

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
02-26-2011, 07:33 PM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=901401 this explains the various ver of the xbox 360 consoles id suggest you get one of the latest models out and throw that pos thing out and curse microsoft out for not BETA TESTING it b4 releasing it idiots . either the xbox 360 is a superior gameing console or there some sort of crack like substance on the 360 making you addicted to it so you will go out and buy another despite all the red rings or maybe the green and red rings do some sort of hypnosis on you

Goobzilla
02-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Craigslist dude fixed mine for $45. He actually has a small storefront now fixing Xboxes, PS3's and Iphones.

Doggcow
02-26-2011, 08:08 PM
By buying a PS3

Cool story bro.

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
02-26-2011, 08:26 PM
ps3 owners are evil evil i say xbox 360 owners are on the right hand of god lol

OABB
02-26-2011, 08:44 PM
By buying a PS3

qft.

Archer81
02-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Wrap it in a blanket and leave it on for 10 or 15 minutes. It worked four or five times but it is only a temporary fix. The first time I did it I didnt need to do it for a month then it dropped to a few weeks and eventually it was every other day. Then I shipped it to Microsoft and they fixed it but it wasn't the same. So I bought a PS3 they dont red ring.

That seriously worked?

My buddy has a PS3, a Wii and an Xbox 360. The Wii eventually stopped reading discs all together and he had to buy a new one. The Xbox 360 had tray issues, then got the RRoD. He had it fixed, few months later it happened again, so he just got a new one. The PS3 is one of the "old" models. He has had no problems with it. I've had my PS3 since a year after they came out. So 4 years? No issues.

:Broncos:

OABB
02-26-2011, 08:56 PM
That seriously worked?

My buddy has a PS3, a Wii and an Xbox 360. The Wii eventually stopped reading discs all together and he had to buy a new one. The Xbox 360 had tray issues, then got the RRoD. He had it fixed, few months later it happened again, so he just got a new one. The PS3 is one of the "old" models. He has had no problems with it. I've had my PS3 since a year after they came out. So 4 years? No issues.

I have lost an xbox and a ps3. They both are computers andcomputers have problems. But xbox is the inferior machine. And paying for online is retarded. It's a typical Microsoft product and set up.

My xbox is currently in a bag under my desk. It works fine, it's just an xbox.

Los Broncos
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Using a fan really helps, never had any problems.

Just get a new one at this point it isn't worth the troubls.

Archer81
02-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I have lost an xbox and a ps3. They both are computers andcomputers have problems. But xbox is the inferior machine. And paying for online is retarded. It's a typical Microsoft product and set up.

Exactly. I already pay for internet. I do not want to pay more JUST to use multiplayer online. The only time I ever had a problem with a console was with my first PS2. When they switched from the blue discs to normal silver/gold ones, it did fine for awhile but eventually the laser that read the discs stopped working. It was lame.

schaaf
02-26-2011, 11:38 PM
It's too bad the 360 is made so ****ty. My original Xbox that I got 9 years ago still works fine and my 360 red ringed once.

I was able to send mine back in to Microsoft and they fixed it for free

Boobs McGee
02-27-2011, 06:40 AM
Curious, is your 360 a first gen? I heard they had the most problems. My friend had one of the first year models, nothing but problems. Eventually, he picked up a newer one and hasnt had too many things go wrong.

Honestly though, I would wholeheartedly agree with the ps3 route. No problems on mine so far (twoand a half years). See if someone can fix it via Craigslist, and if not, come to the Sony side of life. Free online, bluray, Drake and his fortunes....obviously each system has incredible titles, but just something to think about

chadta
02-27-2011, 06:47 AM
The only time I ever had a problem with a console was with my first PS2.

I had a problem with mine too, which is why i put a hard drive in it and installed my games onto that, all i needed the laser for was to read a disk to boot to the hard drive, it still works to this day.

HILife
02-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Had to buy a new Xbox. This one got the Jasper chip set in it and so far I haven't had a single issue. *knock on wood* I will NEVER be an early X-box adopter again. I'll wait a few years to buy my next gen X-box and depending on how PlayStation is doing I might just go back to that.

I had a PS1 and a PS2 and never had a problem with them. Gave both of them to my brother and they are both STILL working. I bought the PS2 a few months after it came out.

Los Broncos
02-27-2011, 06:54 AM
It's too bad the 360 is made so ****ty. My original Xbox that I got 9 years ago still works fine and my 360 red ringed once.

I was able to send mine back in to Microsoft and they fixed it for free

The first wave of 360's had problems, like open tray and overheating.

The newer ones seem to be okay.

Chris
02-27-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm not sure if MS still replaces old kits. I've had my xbox RROD and my ps3 die...ps3 died shortly after i bought. Xbox lasted about 4 years.

Wes Mantooth
02-27-2011, 09:29 AM
when you spend some odd 20 hours attempting any series of these and it does not work, refer to my origional post.

beanerbronco
02-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Not much help here but its pretty nifty stuff:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/26/modder-turns-rrod-stricken-xbox-360-into-ps3-arcade-controller/

Doggcow
02-27-2011, 03:15 PM

So you value paying for a Superior Product (PS3)

But

You dont value paying for a Superior Product (Xbox Live)

Typical PS3 kids.

(For the record, I own and love both systems, and believe neither is outright superior, and I pay for Xbox live)

Doggcow
02-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Exactly. I already pay for internet. I do not want to pay more JUST to use multiplayer online. The only time I ever had a problem with a console was with my first PS2. When they switched from the blue discs to normal silver/gold ones, it did fine for awhile but eventually the laser that read the discs stopped working. It was lame.

Warning, more "Opinions" in this post.

Also, xbox has very common specials, sometimes even free, on DLC, which you're paying for on PS3.

Archer81
02-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Warning, more "Opinions" in this post.

Also, xbox has very common specials, sometimes even free, on DLC, which you're paying for on PS3.

You pay to go online with Xbox. "Free" dlc does not change that fact.

Cmac821
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
So you value paying for a Superior Product (PS3)

But

You dont value paying for a Superior Product (Xbox Live)

Typical PS3 kids.

(For the record, I own and love both systems, and believe neither is outright superior, and I pay for Xbox live)

not sure about you but I would rather pay nothing for a adequate Internet playing vs paying for a superior product.

Goobzilla
02-27-2011, 04:06 PM
$3.25/mo for XBL is a small price to pay for the smiting of one's enemies. I also own both systems but do the majority of my online stuff on XBL.

maven
02-27-2011, 07:09 PM

If your Xbox is under the 3 year warranty just ship it to them. If not, get a new Xbox.

Doggcow
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
You pay to go online with Xbox. "Free" dlc does not change that fact.

The DLC is free on Xbox Live, whereas you pay for everything on PS3. Also, you have access to a lot of free games in the arcade, etc.

There is more value than just "multiplayer of games" but, the service itself, imo is far superior to PS3. I absolutely hate trying to party up and everything on PS3, it's atrocious. And no Party Chat? Ill pay $5 a month for that :p

Doggcow
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
$3.25/mo for XBL is a small price to pay for the smiting of one's enemies. I also own both systems but do the majority of my online stuff on XBL.

Agreed :)

Us, dual console people, need to stick together against these fanboys :p

Doggcow
02-27-2011, 11:36 PM
not sure about you but I would rather pay nothing for a adequate Internet playing vs paying for a superior product.

It's adequate, but Xboxlive is better. I'll pay a convenience fee.

Do you drive a car? Why not take the bus everywhere? It's cheaper.

schaaf
02-27-2011, 11:40 PM
I have both also in my dorm room, Much prefer the 360 and Halo 3 is what got me started. I have found I like 360 more too because of the more amount of my friends that also have Xbox Live

It is a fairly cheap product for $4 bucks a month that's pretty good quality

Rigs11
02-28-2011, 09:34 AM
i'm on my second 360 and it's not overheating lie the first one did, but the dvd drive is making weird sounds.i also have a ps3 as a media hub. For gaming i prefer the 360 for media the ps3 smokes the 360.

Goobzilla
03-01-2011, 08:33 AM
XBL one year cards are $35 today from Buy.com thru Ebay for all you cheapskates out there (like me!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Xbox-Live-12-Month-Gold-Subscription-Card/150568984998?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267

DAN_BRONCO_FAN
03-01-2011, 10:47 AM
hey thanks for the tip

Pseudofool
03-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Microsoft will fix it for free, or send you a new xbox if it's within the three year warranty. I bought my used, it had one month left on it's warranty, i sent it in with a printed out paid UPS thing, they sent me a new xbox a week later no questions asked.