PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Shockey

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Anyone interested in bringing him in as a pass catching threat.

41 receptions, 408 receiving yards and 3 TDs last season.

and that was his worst season as a pro

bring him in and we can cross receiving TE off the list of needs for the team.

lostknight
02-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Shockey would be interesting for Tebow. Never seen Kyle hit the TE consistently enough to be sure for him. (to be fair, that's as much on the TEs as on Kyle).

orange crusher
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
The guy seems like he's injured all the time, but we do desperately need a pass catching TE.

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2011, 05:24 PM
The guy seems like he's injured all the time, but we do desperately need a pass catching TE.

he averages 14 games a season. if he can get us 3-4 catches a game, it opens up the offense and provides Tebow a nice safety valve. A young QBs best friend is always a strong running game and a good receiving TE.

OBF1
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
PASS, was over rated in his prime.

GoBroncos84
02-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Would prefer Zach Miller (if he isn't franchised) or Owen Daniels. Would also like Kyle Rudolph from Notre Dame if he is there with our second 2nd round pick. However, I would not be opposed to signing Shockey to an affordable deal. We need a TE that doesn't have stone hands. Especially with a young QB, he needs that safety valve to check down to on 3rd downs. Tight End is a necessary upgrade.

SoCalBronco
02-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Trade for Tony.

strafen
02-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Let's sign him! Ha!

cmhargrove
02-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Shockey would be interesting for Tebow. Never seen Kyle hit the TE consistently enough to be sure for him. (to be fair, that's as much on the TEs as on Kyle).

I think in all fairness, a pass catching TE was not a big component of the McDaniels plan. It's just not a major focus like some other NFL offenses out there. No big FB presence, no "star" pass catching TE.

It's my opinion that we would do well to build the team around Tebow's strengths. Spend a little time and effort re-creating the Florida spread scheme. It will be interesting to see what Mike McCoy brings to the table now that he has had some experience with two very different systems. He had the two headed running attack + deep threat going at Carolina, and now he has had a good dose of the Mcdaniels system.

It will be interesting to see how they move forward with running backs, that might tell us a little about which way he is leaning.

I, for one, think a fast pass catching TE is a growing QB's number one target. It would be nice to have that as an option.

RhymesayersDU
02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
You guys are crazy, we just need to extend Daniel Graham.

cmhargrove
02-22-2011, 06:24 PM
You guys are crazy, we just need to extend Daniel Graham.

Great blocker, but his hands were total crap this year. Not just bad, epic bad. His receiving ineptitude could have even cost us a game this year.

Keep Graham for blocking, develop a young pass catching threat for the future.

GoBroncos84
02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Great blocker, but his hands were total crap this year. Not just bad, epic bad. His receiving ineptitude could have even cost us a game this year.

Keep Graham for blocking, develop a young pass catching threat for the future.

The problem with Graham is that he will be making over $4 million this season. Way too much for a blocking tight end. To stay, he has to take a pay cut. Otherwise we cut our ties and use that money on a more complete tight end that can help in the passing game. A couple options in free agency, a couple options in the draft.

orinjkrush
02-22-2011, 07:25 PM
nab mercedes lewis.

Mogulseeker
02-22-2011, 08:03 PM
Any one have a gif of him back with New York when he started celebrating right before an OT field goal was missed and ended up losing the game?

schaaf
02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
I agree we need a Tight End but I would not be surprised if Quinn becomes a little better than people think.

Ray Finkle
02-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Trade for Tony.

so you want to trade for the guy that would make Shockey look healthy?

BroncoMan4ever
02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
I agree we need a Tight End but I would not be surprised if Quinn becomes a little better than people think.

as a cheaper replacement for Graham, not as a pass catcher

GoBroncos84
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
as a cheaper replacement for Graham, not as a pass catcher

my thoughts exactly

cutthemdown
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
we need TE's but Shockey not high on my list. We sort of need less risk with our signings right now. Unless its bargain basement which Shockey probably won't be.

DarkHorse30
02-22-2011, 08:24 PM
nab mercedes lewis.

this. Shockey is a diva...who doesn't really put up enough numbers to be a diva. I laughed when Boss got his ring in NY.

GoBroncos84
02-22-2011, 08:26 PM
this. Shockey is a diva...who doesn't really put up enough numbers to be a diva. I laughed when Boss got his ring in NY.

Kevin Boss is also a free agent and could be worth a look

Wes Mantooth
02-22-2011, 08:43 PM
Kevin Boss is also a free agent and could be worth a look

Pride of Philomath and WOU!

Shananahan
02-22-2011, 08:53 PM
Any one have a gif of him back with New York when he started celebrating right before an OT field goal was missed and ended up losing the game?
http://www.gifflix.com/files/e25edbf0fddc.gif

Mogulseeker
02-22-2011, 09:38 PM

I think about this every time Shockey comes up in discussion.

broncocalijohn
02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Anyone interested in bringing him in as a pass catching threat.

41 receptions, 408 receiving yards and 3 TDs last season.

and that was his worst season as a pro

bring him in and we can cross receiving TE off the list of needs for the team.

2 rec. for Quinn. I think we just need a pass catcher let alone a threat.

Carmelo15
02-22-2011, 10:51 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/24568/jeremy-shockeys-afc-west-value

Jeremy Shockey's AFC West value
By Bill Williamson
I have already gotten many questions from readers wondering if tight end Jeremy Shockey could play for an AFC West team. He was cut by the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday.

Shockey is an interesting player. He is very talented, but he has been injury prone and he is 30 years old. I think the best fit in the AFC West for him may be the Denver Broncos. The Broncos need a receiving tight end and new Denver coach John Fox is very familiar with Shockey from the NFC South, having been the head coach of the Carolina Panthers for nine seasons.

Fox likes veterans and I could see some potential interest there. I really donít see any of the other three teams in the division making a play for Shockey. Other than in Denver, this is a very strong division for pass-catching tight ends, so there would be no pressing needs. If Zach Miller were to leave through free agency, I could see the Oakland Raiders being interested. But Shockey's situation is sure to be settled much earlier than Millerís. Plus, I donít see Miller leaving Oakland this offseason, anyway.

Meanwhile, the Panthers did not franchise either running back DeAngelo Williams or defensive end Charles Johnson. I could see Fox making a play for both of these players in free agency.

orange crusher
02-22-2011, 11:44 PM
nab mercedes lewis.

That would be my first choice but I believe the Jags are going to tag him if they haven't already. Same regarding Z. Miller.

BroncoMan4ever
02-23-2011, 12:04 AM
That would be my first choice but I believe the Jags are going to tag him if they haven't already. Same regarding Z. Miller.

this is why i brought up Shockey. good at his position and is going to be the best of what is available. GUys like Miller and Lewis aren't going anywhere.

strafen
02-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Eventhough Shockey has been inury prone, I think he'll be a good fit playing in the AFC.
Not only is he a good catching TE, but he's also very physical, a combination seldom seen in the AFC, asides from Dallas Clark...

HAT
02-23-2011, 12:42 AM
Eventhough Shockey has been inury prone, I think he'll be a good fit playing in the AFC.
Not only is he a good catching TE, but he's also very physical, a combination seldom seen in the AFC, asides from Dallas Clark...

Wow....Just wow.

Smiling Assassin27
02-23-2011, 09:14 AM
Kevin Boss is available, I think. Fox is a run-heavy coach, which means a pass catcher is useful but not crucial. Boss comes from a similar system in NY and is very reliable in the pass game besides being a road grader.

It all depends on the price tag, I guess.

dbfan21
02-23-2011, 09:22 AM

ROFL!

Beantown Bronco
02-23-2011, 09:43 AM
PASS, was over rated in his prime.

He had a 4 year period where he averaged over 60 receptions, 700 yds and 6 TDs. Not for nothing, but it's been a long time since we had that kind of receiving threat at the position.

strafen
02-23-2011, 10:00 AM
The guy was a 14th overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft.
Was also Diet Pepsi NFL Rookie of the Year award in 2002
4-time pro bowler. Has won two superbowls, -Giants and the Saints-

If he can stay healthy, he could be a good contributor.
I'll take him over Richard Quinn or any TE's we currently have on our roster anyday...with the exception of Daniel Graham, perhaps, who has been on a decline as far as being an impact player of late...